Not Myself Year 3: A Dog and New Fears by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter returns to Hogwarts for his third year - a year in which a murderer has escaped from Azkaban prison. And he just might be after Harry... Year three in the Not Myself Series.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 43026 Read: 115829 Published: 01 Jul 2003 Updated: 01 Sep 2003
The Grim by Saerry Snape

Harry was sitting outside with Niamh by the lake a few days later when a huge, shaggy, black-furred dog came bounding up to them, tongue lolling.  Niamh blinked then reached out a tentative hand to pet the dog.

“Hello there, boy.  Where’d you come from?”

The dog barked as Niamh lifted her other hand to feel for a collar.  Harry scratched behind the dog’s ears, watching Niamh as he searched.  The girl frowned and said, “No collar.”

Harry looked at the dog and frowned as well.

“I guess he’s a stray,” said Niamh, burying her hands in the thick fur.  She then grinned at Harry and asked, “You think we could keep him?”

Harry shrugged.

“I doan know.  We’re on’y supposed ter have a cat, toad, or owl.”

“If I don’t recall correctly, you have a raven and a snake.  And Ron – jerk that he is – has a rat.  Those aren’t a cat, toad, or owl.”

Harry held up his hand in defeat, grinning.

“Alright’, alright’.  Ye win.  We c’n go ask.”

“Snape or Dumbledore?”

The dog seemed to freeze when she said ‘Snape’ but the two third years did not notice.

“Snape, o’ course,” replied Harry, turning back to the dog, which was nuzzling at his folded cloak lying on the ground.

“Oi, ye!  What’re ye doing?”

The dog looked up at him, its blue eyes boring into his own, and Harry felt a shock of recognition.  It was much like the one he had felt when he had first seen Hagrid – only much stronger.

“Harry.  Harry, mate, what’s up with you?”

Harry shook his head and replied, “Nothin’, Ni, nothin’.  Le’s go ask.”

“Alright.  C’mon, dog.”

Niamh got to her feet and Harry rose after her, picking up his cloak.  A cold wind flew past them, sending their hair flying and Niamh shivered, rubbing her bare arms.  The two of them were dressed in Muggle clothes as it was the weekend but only Harry had brought his cloak outside.  He moved close to her and placed it over her shoulders, reaching around to pin it with the serpent clasp his father had given him last Christmas with the green and silver cloak.  Niamh smiled up at him, a blush creeping over her cheeks.

“Thank you, Harry.”

Harry smiled and said, “Yer welcome, Ni.”

The dog watched them knowingly then padded after them as they set off towards the castle.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Severus was sitting in his office grading a test he had given to his third year Gryffindor/Slytherin class when there was a knock at his door.  Not looking up, he called, “Enter.”

The door opened and Harry entered, followed swiftly by Niamh, whom had Harry’s cloak pinned about her shoulders from the look of the length and the snake clasp at her throat.  Behind them came a large, shaggy dog with matted black fur and blazing blue eyes.

Severus finished marking the test he was on, set it and his quill aside, then looked at the two students with a small smile.

“To what do I owe this pleasure?”

Harry said, “We were sittin’ outside and then this dog came bounding up ter us.  ‘E hasn’t got a collar, which means ‘e doesn’t belong ter anybody.”

“I was wondering if I could keep him,” added Niamh meekly.

Severus looked at the two of them then at the dog, which seemed to be glaring at him.  Eying it coldly, he turned his gaze back to his son and his friend.

“I will have to talk to the headmaster but I see no trouble in you keeping him.”

Niamh beamed and looked as though she wanted to run around the desk and hug him.  Harry looked to be restraining her by his hand casually placed on her shoulder.  Severus chuckled inwardly.

Niamh, not able to go through with her first impulse, cried, “Thank you, professor!”

Severus nodded and the two turned to leave, the dog slipping out before them.  Before they fully got out the door, he remembered something.

“Miss O’Feir?”

“Yes, sir?” said Niamh, looking at him around Harry, who had turned halfway about.

“I trust you will be at the Quidditch trials this Wednesday?”

Niamh beamed and nodded vigorously.  Harry chuckled and said, “Ye can bet she’ll be there!”

Severus smiled and nodded.  “Good, good.  I look forward to seeing you on the team.”

“Thank you, sir!”

Niamh, beaming foolishly, bounced out into the corridor, humming.  Harry shook his head after her and gave his father a vague wave before he followed his friend, closing the door behind him.  Severus shook his head after the both of them and returned to grading.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“So Snape let you keep him?”

Niamh nodded and said proudly, “Yep!  Only dog in the school!”

Harry and Niamh were now in the Slytherin common room, with Mika and Ginny by them.  Ginny was on the floor petting the shaggy black dog while Niamh and Mika were talking across their chairs.  Harry himself was sprawled out on the couch, Jardin perched by his head and running his beak through the boy’s long hair.

Is there a reason you do that?  You’ve done that to everyone.

The raven shrugged and replied, < Protection. >

In our hair?

< Well, where did you expect me to put it?  In your shoes? >

What kind of protection?

< From harm mostly.  It’s a small spell really, woven in many times.  It couldn’t protect you from – say, Avada Kedavra – but it would from other things. >

Such as?

< Such as Niamh about to hit you. >

What?

“OW!  Bloody ‘ell, woman!”

Niamh scowled and snapped, “Pay attention then!”

Harry brushed his hair out of his face and propped himself up on one elbow to glare at her.  “What?” he asked.

“What do you think I should name our new Slytherin?”

The dog looked froze at that.

Harry frowned at the animal and thought.  He looked at Jardin and asked, What do you think, Jar?

The raven tilted his head to look at the dog and replied, < Hmm.  Something to deal with the stars perhaps. >

Stars? said Harry in surprise.

< That is what I said. >

Ooookay.

Jardin snorted mentally and Niamh rolled her eyes.

Stars.  Something to do with stars.

< That is what I said. >

We know, Jar.

< Just thought I’d say it again as you two are repeating yourselves. >

Jar?

< Yes, Harry? >

Shut up.

< Yes, Harry. >

Niamh snorted then frowned.  She turned to Mika and Ginny and asked, “What’s a name that has something to do with stars?”

The two looked at each other then back at Niamh.

“Polaris?” suggested Mika

“Orion?” Ginny said.

Niamh frowned then said, “Crux?”

< Leo? >

Canisss?” hissed Hedwig.

Harry frowned at the dog for a moment longer then smiled.

“I know.”

“Really?”

“Do tell.”

Pleassse do.

Harry smiled and said, “Sirius.”

The dog froze and stared at him.

Ginny smiled and Mika nodded in agreement.  Niamh said, “I like it.  Harry, you’re a lifesaver.”

< Isn’t that a Muggle candy? >

“Yep.  Speaking of which, I just so happen to have some in my trunk.  Anyone want one?”

“What’s a Lifesaver?” asked Mika and Ginny.

Niamh rolled her eyes and said, “I’ll go get them.  Harry, you explain the concept.”

“Ye want me ter explain the concept of a bit of candy to them?”

“Yes!”

“Ni, yer nuts.”

“I know.  Too many hexes swirling about my brain.  IT’S THE HEXES, I TELL YOU!”

Several of the first years looked at her in slight fear and surprise while the other students ignored her.  Niamh often yelled rather odd things.

Harry shook his head, chuckling, and said, “Go ge’ them, then.  I’ll explain.”

Niamh nodded and dashed off, while Harry turned to Niamh and Mika and explained to them what Lifesavers were.  He then explained to Hedwig why she couldn’t have one.

By the time that was done, Niamh had returned and dished out the round candy.  Mika grabbed a yellow and spit it out seconds after he’d put it in his mouth.

Argh!  What in Merlin’s name was that?

Harry looked at the yellow candy stuck to his pants leg and said, “Lemon.  An’ thank ye fer giving it ter me.”

“Very welcome, Harry.”

Harry rolled his eyes and handed Ginny a red one.

“Try tha’, Gin.  Red’s the best.”

“No, green’s the best!” said Niamh as she popped a green lifesaver into her mouth.

Mika grabbed a green and ate it, this time smiling.

“I’d have to agree with Ni.”

“Ye haven’t even tried the red!”

“Oh.  Right…”

Harry laughed and the others laughed with him.  Hedwig rolled her eyes at them and snapped at Jardin, who sidestepped and fell off the couch to land on Sirius, bringing more laughter from the group of students.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Sirius’ POV

Harry’s a Slytherin.  How can he be a Slytherin?  James and Lily were Gryffindors.

And why does he have that accent?

Did something happen that I don’t know about?

And how in Merlin’s name did he pull that name of all names out of nowhere?

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1289