Learning to Love by GoldenPhoenix
Summary: When Three year old Harry Potter is taken to the hospital, the Dursley's find out some unsettling news. Not wanting to take care of the child, he is left at the hospital, and then sent to an orphanage. Will the Wizarding world find Harry?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 13802 Read: 89537 Published: 11 Mar 2007 Updated: 23 Mar 2007
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters are the property of JK. Rowling

1. Chapter 1 by GoldenPhoenix

2. Chapter 2 by GoldenPhoenix

3. Chapter 3 by GoldenPhoenix

4. Chapter 4 by GoldenPhoenix

5. Chapter 5 by GoldenPhoenix

6. Chapter 6 by GoldenPhoenix

7. Chapter 7 by GoldenPhoenix

8. Chapter 8 by GoldenPhoenix

9. Chapter 9 by GoldenPhoenix

Chapter 1 by GoldenPhoenix

A raven haired, emerald green eyed boy lay on a small cot in a cupboard under the stairs at number four, Privet Drive. He didn't feel well, and he didn't know why. He felt so bad that he couldn't even get up to cook breakfast for his Aunt and uncle, which would not make them happy. He only hoped that his punishment wouldn't be too severe. The three year old coughed, trying not to throw up. He needed all of the food that he had consumed the night before to stay in his stomach. After all, he didn't know when his aunt and uncle would allow him to eat again.

"Boy, you get out here and cook our breakfast," uncle Vernon said, slamming the cupboard door open and pulling the small boy out by his feet. Harry tried to stand, but his body was too weak. Petunia Dursley walked over and touched the child's forehead. She hated touching the freak, but the last few days she noticed that the boy looked pale, and he would sweat profusely while doing his chores. She glared down at the child before speaking to her husband.

"Vernon, the boy is burning up. If those freaky people happen to come around and notice that we haven't taken him to the doctor, we could get into serious trouble." Vernon wanted to punch the boy at his feet, but he knew that he couldn't because the doctors would wonder how he got the mark. If they looked hard enough the doctors would see old welts and bruises on the child's body.

"Fine," he said. Vernon picked up the child and put him into the car.

When they arrived at the hospital the receptionist took one look at the pale child, and went to fetch a doctor. Soon Harry was on the examining table. The doctor took blood tests, and after several hours the results came back.

"Are you the boy's relatives?" Doctor Peterson asked. Petunia tried to remain when she replied.

"Yes, what is wrong with him?" she asked, hoping that her voice remained neutral. The doctored looked grave.

"I'm sorry to tell you this Mrs. Dursley, but your nephew has Leukemia." Petunia and Vernon couldn't believe what the doctor had just said. They had agreed to take in the boy, but they didn't agree to care for a sick child. Petunia's calm facade fell and she glared.

"That is it; my husband and I are no longer able to take care of the child. I am sorry, but we already have one son and we can't afford him. It was a mistake to take him in to begin with." The doctor couldn't believe what he was hearing. This little boy was just a child, and deserved all the love and affection that a parent could give, and here were these people treating him like he was nothing more than a peace of gum on their shoes.

"I guess I don't have to ask where the bruises came from?" Doctor Peterson asked in a hard tone. Vernon spoke.

"We never asked for the boy, but we took him in out of the goodness of our hearts. My wife and I can not afford him, so you may do with him whatever you see fit. With that, Vernon stood, his wife following suite, leaving a startled Harry alone with the doctor. The doctor tried to smile at the boy, but it was hard to do. He knew that life was going to be hard for this child and he didn't envy him. The doctor had no choice but to call social services. Soon, a caseworker came, and having no foster homes available who would take a sick child, placed him in an orphanage.

The doctor got Harry started on a treatment right away. He had chemo therapy for six months. The little boy soon learned that no one was going to be there when he got sick; no one would be there when his beautiful hair fell out, and no one would be there when it all became too much and he cried. Harry had chemo therapy for a year. He was in need of a bone marrow transplant, but they hadn't found a match. Everyday was a count down for Harry. Everyday he lost more strength, and Doctor Peterson felt sorry for the little boy.

The orphanage wasn't the best place for Harry. It was managed by an old man by the name of Larry Winchester who really didn't care that much for children, but since he was giving money for taking care of the orphans, he continued to keep the orphanage open. He also liked to drink, so whenever he had a little too much to drink he would pick on one of the children. Harry was his favorite. He always made sure to leave Harry alone before he had his doctor visits. It wouldn't do for the doctor to see the bruises on the boy's frail body.

When Harry was five a miracle happened. The doctor had called and told Harry that they had found a bone marrow match. The only problem was that having the operation cost a lot of money, and the orphanage wouldn't help cover the bills. Harry fell into a state of depression. He knew that if he didn't have this transplant, he wouldn't last much longer. Not that the life he was living was grand or anything, but he wasn't ready to die.

"We will figure out something," Doctor Peterson said. Harry tried to muster up a smile, but he failed. Lying on the hospital bed, watching the new and improved chemicals being pumped into his body, he hoped that there was a life, that wouldn't consist of throwing up and trembling from fevers, going to hospitals weekly, and worrying about whether he would live or die. Sighing, Harry fell asleep so that he could let the medicine do its job.

Meanwhile, in Hogwarts School of witchcraft and Wizardry, Albus Dumbledore sat in his office, pondering the information he had just received in regards to Harry Potter. He had been looking for the boy for a couple years, and he believed that he had found him. A squib who lives in the ghetto area of town next to an orphanage, and she said that she had seen a boy similar to Harry's description running around the orphanage. Albus was a very busy man, and he didn't have time to go and see if the boy that had been seen was Harry, so he would send his potions master, Severus Snape to investigate the situation. Just then a knock sounded at the door.

"Enter," Albus said. A man with long flowing black robes walked into the room and sat in a chair across from the headmaster's desk.

"Severus, how nice of you to drop buy. Would you like a lemon drop, or perhaps a spot of tea?" Severus glared at the headmaster.

"I should think that since you were the one who summoned me to your office, that the normal pleasantries aren't needed. However, if you are trying to caudle me with sweets, in hopes that I will do your bidding, there is no need." Albus chuckled.

"You always did like to get to the point Severus." The potions master just looked at Albus, waiting for the task that Albus wanted him to do. Albus began to speak.

"As you know, Harry Potter went missing two years ago from his relative’s home. After all of my best attempts the boy was not found, until today." Albus explained about the squib and the orphanage, and the glare on the potions masters face intensified. There was no way that he was going to be on a hunt for James Potter's child.

"You know that I would do anything you asked of me headmaster, but this is too much. You know that the boy’s father and I hated each other." Albus's eyes began to twinkle.

"Harry is not his father. He is probably a scared little boy who was dropped off at an orphanage at the age of three by his relatives, who hasn't been shown any love what so ever, since James and Lily were alive. I fear that if the boy isn't saved, then he will end up like another Tom Riddle, and you don't want that, now do you Severus?" Severus shuttered, of course he didn't want to have to deal with another dark lord. Sighing, he conceded.

"Fine, I will go look for the brat, but once I have found him and brought him to you I will have nothing else to do with the boy." Albus's eyes twinkled as if he knew something that Severus didn't.

"Of course my boy, I wouldn't expect anything more from you." Severus muttered under his breath about manipulative headmasters, then quickly rose from his chair and walked out of the office. The potions master walked down to his chamber, grabbed a cloak, and then walked out of the school to the apparation point. Apparating with a pop outside the orphanage where Harry Potter resided.

The End.
End Notes:
Please read and review!
Chapter 2 by GoldenPhoenix

Severus looked around at his Muggle surroundings in disgust.  He really didn't want to be in this place.  The sooner he got the boy, the better. Scowling, the potions master walked into the dilapidated looking building and up to the front desk.

"May I help you?" an old, heavy set man with a beer in his hand asked.  Severus glared at the Muggle.

"I am looking for one Mr Harry Potter.  I was told that he lived here, and I have come to collect him."  Larry Winchester looked at the sinister looking man, and knew that he wasn't one to be messed with.  He tried to smile, but it looked more like a grimace.

"I’m afraid that the boy isn't here at the moment," Mr Winchester said.   Severus was tired of playing games. He wanted answers, and he wanted them now.

"Mr Winchester," Severus said, glancing down at the name tag on the man's shirt, and then back up at the man, "If you do not tell me where Mr. Potter is right this moment, I assure you your life will not be pleasant."  The man took a couple steps back, ensuring himself that Severus could not reach him.  

"Harry Potter is at a doctor’s appointment, and will be here shortly, but I don't think he will be up to hosting visitors.  He is normally too ill from the treatments to comprehend what is going on around him.  I usually put him in his room, and he stays there until he needs to get up to do his chores the next day."  Severus didn't know why the boy was sick, but he really didn't care much.  The only reason he asked Larry Winchester why the boy was sick was because Albus would want a thorough report about the child's condition.

"What is wrong with Mr. Potter?' Severus asked in a brusque tone.

"The boy has leukemia.  He has had it since he arrived here.  They have found a bone marrow donor, however the orphanage doesn't have the funds to pay for the transplant.  The state pays for his chemo-therapy treatments, but they refuse to pay any more."

    Severus was shocked.  Out of all the reasons why Harry Potter was sick, this hadn't been at the top of his list.  Just then, a car pulled up the drive, and a doctor, followed by the thinnest boy that Severus had ever seen, stepped out of the car.  The doctor put an arm around Harry to support the slightly disoriented boy, and helped him walk to the door.

     When Harry walked into the orphanage and saw a man wearing black robes with a scowl on his face, he backed up in fear.  He remembered those looks.  The look that Severus had on his face was making Harry remember the terrifying looks that uncle Vernon would give him. Mr Winchester snapped at the boy.

"Boy, come here."  Harry complied and Mr Winchester glared at the child.  Severus's opinion of the boy was faltering, he realized as he stared at the boy before him.  This boy was sick, frail, needed desperately to be loved, and he wasn't receiving any by living in this place.  Albus was right, if something wasn't done about the child’s living condition, Harry Potter's heart would turn cold.  Severus knew what it was like to burry emotions under several layers of ice, and he didn't want that for this child.  He may not have liked James Potter, but this wasn’t James Potter.  This was Harry Potter, the savior of the Wizarding world, this was a boy who needed love, and for some reason he felt compelled to give it to him.  Severus tried to make his expression turn softer, but it took him a moment.  Too many years of putting up a mask, made him forget what it was like to smile.  The potions master stepped forward.

"Hello Harry," Severus said in a voice that sounded calmer than he felt.  The boy glanced up at the man and tried to smile.

"Hello," he said in a soft voice.  Severus sighed; this was going to be a lot more difficult than he had thought.

"How would you like to leave this place?" Severus asked.  Harry's eyes lit up.

"Forever?" he asked, with a look of hope in his eyes.  Severus took a look around at the dilapidated building before responding.

"I promise you that you would never have to come back here if you come with me."  Harry left Mr Winchester's side and ran over to Severus.

"I need to go get my things," Harry said."  Severus laid a hand on the boy's shoulder, and noticed the small flinch.  ”What have these Muggles done to him?” Severus wondered, leaving the question for later.

"You go pack your things and I am going to talk to your doctor."  Harry nodded and walked out of the room.  Doctor Peterson, who had been silent up until now, stepped forward.

"Are you a relative of Harry's? As far as anyone knew he didn't have any still living."  Severus tried not to glare at this man.  He needed information about Harry's condition.  It wouldn't be advantageous of him to infuriate the man when he was trying to get information from him.

"I need to know about Mr Potter's condition," Severus said in a matter of fact tone.

"I can't give information out about my patient; it is confidential unless you are his guardian."  Severus scowled.  He turned around and withdrew his wand from his pocket. Pulling a peace of parchment out of his pocket and waving his wand over it, he had the proper Muggle documents that he would need to be considered Harry's guardian.  Sure, they were a fake, any good lawyer would notice that, but this doctor wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  He faced the doctor again and presented the paper to him.  The doctor smiled.  He wasn't sure if he liked the man, but anywhere the boy could live, except for the Dursleys, was better than the orphanage.

"Mr Potter has leukemia.  Over the last couple of years we have treated him with chemo-therapy regularly and radiation once.  He is in need of a bone marrow transplant, but he didn't have any health coverage.  He is a very sick little boy.  He has his good days and bad days, but lately they have all been bad.  His white blood cell count was down today, and he hasn't been able to keep down food for any lengthy period of time.  I fear it won't be too much longer before Mr Potter is no longer with us.”  Severus didn't know what to think.  He knew that the boy's condition was bad; he just didn't realize how grave it really was.

"Thank you," Severus said.  Doctor Peterson looked at Severus, a serious expression on his face.

"Harry is a good kid.  He didn't ask for most of the shit that he has had to deal with.  Just promise me that you will take care of him."  Severus looked at the doctor, and he found that the promise wasn't as difficult to make as he thought it would be.

”I will make sure that Mr Potter is taken care of ."  Doctor Peterson nodded.

"I suppose I should go to say goodbye to Harry.  You will bring him by to the hospital for his treatments, won't you?" Severus didn't tell the doctor that he would be spending the next week trying to find a cure for this disease, he just nodded.  The doctor walked down the hall to Harry's room, Severus following close behind him.  What Severus saw when he arrived at the child's room shocked him to the core.  There were six beds shoved into this small, bare room.  There was a shelf for all of the kids to put in their clothing, and any other personal items, but that was all.  The bed linens looked like they hadn't been washed in months and Severus wondered how the children slept in this room, with all the bugs crawling on the floor.  

   The potions master spotted Harry on a bed in the far corner, holding a bundle in his hand.  Doctor Peterson walked up to Harry and reached out for the child.  Harry, seeing that it was someone he was familiar with, reached out his hand and put it into the doctor’s.  What kind of boy had been traumatized so badly, that he didn't even know how to show the slightest bit of affection?  What exactly had happened to the child?  Whatever it was, Severus intended to find out.

"I will see you next week, Harry," Doctor Peterson said.  Harry smiled.

"Kay," he said.  The doctor smiled and turned to leave.

"Be good to this man, Harry.  He will take good care of you."  Harry nodded and the doctor left the room, leaving Harry and Severus alone in the room.  

"Do you have everything you need, Harry?" Severus asked.  Harry nodded and Severus took the boy’s hand. The pair walked out of the room and, before leaving the orphanage, Severus cast a modified memory charm on Mr Winchester, so that he would think Harry was adopted if he was questioned by the authorities.

After leaving the orphanage, Severus led Harry to an alley, away from prying eyes.  He knelt down so as not to frighten Harry and spoke.

"You probably aren't going to understand what we are going to do, but I promise you, all will be explained in due time."  Harry just nodded.

"I need you to take my hand, and do not let go, no matter what. We are going to apparate to the school where I teach, and I don't want anything to happen to you along the way."  Harry nodded, still remaining silent.  Severus took the boy's silence as a sign that the child understood what he was saying, and took his hand.  With a pop, both were gone from the alley, only to appear seconds later outside the gates of Hogwarts.

The End.
Chapter 3 by GoldenPhoenix

Once landing at Hogwarts, Severus gave Harry a moment to become acclimated with his surroundings. The child's eyes were glazed over, and his face had turned puce.

"I don't feel good," Harry said. The boy lent over and emptied the contents of his stomach onto the ground. Severus, feeling awkward in this kind of situation, hated to see the boy suffering, but not knowing what else to do he reached over and clumsily began rubbing circles on the boy's back. Harry flinched. Never had anyone tried to comfort him while he had been sick before. Once the dry heaves had stopped Severus waved his wand and vanished the sick from the ground. He reached down and helped the boy up.

"I'm not surprised that your body reacted that way Harry. Your body is already in a weakened state from the chemicals in your body, and the feeling that apparition creates could not have been pleasant for you. Especially since you had never apperated before." Harry nodded.

"I will now be taking you to our healer, Madam Pomfrey. She will give you a check up, and maybe there is a potion, or spell that can fix your condition." Harry, whom had no clue about magic, looked at Severus with confusion. Realization dawned on Severus’s face. The boy had no idea that magic existed. He would have to remedy that very soon.

Severus took the boy's hand and smiled at the awed expression on Harry's face. The breath taking scene of the castle with its towers would capture the attention of any child.

"Is this where I am going to live?" Harry asked. Severus wasn't sure how to answer that question. He didn't know who the boy would be staying with, although now that he had learned about the boy he hoped it would be him. After all, who better to take care of a sick child than a potions master? He would have the potions that Harry would need should he become ill, and Poppy was to busy to take care of a sick toddler full time. Not wanting to upset Harry, Severus settled for a slight misdirection to the answer of his question.

"We will figure out where you will be living after we talk to the headmaster. However, you will be going to school here once you get older, and then you will be living in the dorms during the school year." Severus wasn't about to bring up the fact that the only way Harry would attend Hogwarts was if he lived that long. He wanted the boy to have hope. Hope would give him the will to live longer, and that will itself was a powerful magic alone.

The two walked in silence until they reached the infirmary, where upon seeing them, Madam Pomfrey took charge immediately.

"The headmaster told me you were bringing in Mr. Potter. I admit that I didn't expect him to look so very undernourished, but that can be mended." Severus directed Harry to a bed and Harry tentatively lay upon it. The bed was soft and warm, not like the hard, worn beds at the orphanage.

“I could get use to this,” Harry thought to himself, as he watched the nurse and Severus go off into a corner to converse.

Severus told the healer everything she would need to know about Harry's condition and by the end of the story, the poor healer had tears pouring down her face, which she unsuccessfully tried to conceal.

"I don't know of any cure, Severus. As you know, cancer is a Muggle illness, and although there has been, at most, one or two wizards who have had it, most do not live very long because the chemo therapy treatments do not respond well to wizards bodies because of magic. It does help a little, but not as much as it helps Muggles." Severus nodded, already knowing this information.

"I will begin doing research on the child's condition as soon as possible to see if I may be able to develop a potion for him. In the meantime I think it would be best if you contacted Harry's doctor, Doctor Peterson. Harry trusts him, and he seems pretty trustworthy to me. I think we need to let him know about the magical world, just enough so that he understands about why the treatments aren't working. If he has an adverse reaction, then we can obliviate him, but I hope it will not come to that." Poppy nodded.

"I will need his medical records to properly treat him anyway." Severus gave the doctor's card to Poppy, and the healer put the card in one of her many pockets in her robe. The nurse walked over to Harry and smiled warmly at him.

"Do you mind if I look you over?" she asked. Harry nodded, already use to various doctors poking and prodding by now. However, when the nurse pulled out her wand, Harry shrank back in fear. Severus saw this and realized that Harry would have to be told about magic before Poppy continued. He stepped forward and took Harry's hand.

"Harry, I want you to know that Poppy would never intentionally hurt you. This stick she wants to scan you with is a wand. It is a magical wand. Madam Pomfrey, you, and I are all witches and wizards." Perhaps it was because Harry was so young, or perhaps it was because Harry remembered something from his brief time with his parents, but something made Harry's eyes light up and he nodded.

"I can do magic like you?" Harry asked softly. Severus nodded.

"When you are a little bit older you will be able to do magic." Harry took this answer pretty well and relaxed against his pillows. This time, when Madam Pomfrey pulled out her wand to scan the child, Harry didn't flinch. The check up was over quickly, and soon the nurse had a nutrition potion, and other vitamin potions for Harry to take. Normally children who were given medicine would put up a fuss, but Harry dutifully swallowed any potion that was handed to him. Poppy left the boy on the bed to rest, and went into her office. She needed to contact Harry's previous doctor and compare notes.

Severus, who had been sitting in a chair next to Harry's bed during the examination, reached over and squeezed the child's hand. However, the gesture of comfort was soon lost, because Severus heard footsteps coming down the hall, which could only mean that the headmaster knew that Harry was in the hospital wing. Severus put up a silencing charm around him and Albus as soon as the headmaster entered the room. He didn't want the child to overhear what they were saying, and take it the wrong way.

"I see that you found him?" Albus Dumbledore asked, raking his eyes over the small boy lying on the hospital bed. Severus nodded, with his mask firmly in place. He didn't want the headmaster to know that he was starting to care about the boy. Not yet anyway.

"I found the boy Albus, and as you can see he is nowhere near healthy." Severus then filled Albus in on Harry's condition. Albus looked grave.

"I'm afraid I have some more bad news for you Severus," Albus said. Severus just glared at the headmaster, having a feeling of what the headmaster was going to ask him.

"I'm afraid that I wasn't able to find anyone who could take care of Harry, and in light of his medical condition, I think it would be best if Harry stay with you." Severus's glare intensified.

"I thought I made it clear that I was going to have nothing more to do with the boy?" Albus nodded.

"I am truly sorry Severus, but with Poppy so busy, you are the only one left. There isn't anyone else, and we can't send him back to the orphanage." Severus agreed there.

"Alright, I will take the boy in." Albus's eyes twinkled.

"Very good my boy, very good. I shall ask the elves to prepare another room attached to your chambers." Severus scoffed.

"Do you really think I am going to spend anymore time at this castle anymore than I have to? No, Harry and I will be going to Snape Manor. It is unable to be plotted, so we will be safe." Albus wanted to protest, but in the end he agreed. With his most loyal professor keeping an eye on The Boy Who Lived, nothing could go wrong.

"May I come by and see Harry once you both are settled in?" the headmaster inquired. Severus nodded, knowing that he couldn't keep Albus Dumbledore away from Harry Potter.

"I shall send you an owl when my floo is open." Albus beamed. He took one final look at Harry, not saying anything to the child, and walked out of the room. Severus dropped the silencing charm and looked at Harry whose eyes were half closed.

"How come your lips were moving, but I couldn't hear you?" Harry asked. Severus smiled.

"The headmaster just had some things to say that weren't very important for you to hear." Harry knew what would happen to him if he asked questions so he just nodded. This man hadn't hit him, yet, and he felt like he could trust Severus, However, old habits dye hard, and he didn't want to make the man mad.

"Are we staying here?" Harry asked. Severus shook his head.

"We will be going to my home for a few months Harry." Harry's eyes lit up. It would be nice to actually be in a home, Harry thought to himself. Severus smiled at the child, knowing he was tired. He reached over to the nightstand and pulled out a dreamless sleep potion that had been placed there by the nurse before she had retreated to her office and handed it to Harry.

"Drink, it will help you sleep." The boy obliged, and within minutes the boy was fast asleep.

The End.
End Notes:

I would like to thank my beta reader, Danielle, for her help in editing this story. I would also like to thank those of you who are reading and reviewing. I had one reviewer ask me if I knew of a story similar to this one, and I said no. If you readers know of stories similar, but different then this one, let me know. I want to read them. Keep on reading and reviewing!

Chapter 4 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters are the property of JK. Rowling

Albus Dumbledore sat in his office, pondering over the previous days events.  He hoped that with Harry living with Severus, the potions master could gain some form of parental control over Harry.  If Harry trusted Severus, and if he survived his illness, then the savior would be on Albus Dumbledore's side.  After all, he wouldn't want to disappoint Severus.  Just as Albus was about to sort through his paperwork, the fireplace flared up and the flames turned green.  Soon, Remus Lupin's head was calling for Albus from inside the fireplace.  Albus stood and knelt on the rug in front of the fire.

"Remus, is there something that I can do for you?" he asked.  Remus looked at the headmaster, a hopeful look in his amber colored eyes.

"I got your owl stating that you may have found Harry.  Is he there at the school? How is he?"  Albus chuckled.

"The boy could be better Remus, but Severus is taking care of him."  If possible, Remus Lupin's eyes became darker at the mention of the potions masters name.

"Why have you put Severus in charge of taking care of Harry? You know full well that I would do it."

Albus frowned.

"I know you want to do what is best for Harry Remus, so you have to understand why I placed the child into Severus's care.  With your transformations once a month, it would be impossible for you to look after Harry safely."  Remus frowned.

"I would never hurt Harry," Remus said. 

"You certainly would not mean to hurt Harry Remus, but accidents do happen.  Besides, with Harry's condition, he needs more full time care.  Care which Severus can give him." 

"What is wrong with Harry?" Remus asked.  Albus sighed.

"I'm afraid that Harry has somehow contracted the Muggle illness known as cancer."  Remus blanched.

"Albus, isn't that deadly? Are you telling me that Harry is going to die?"

"Severus is going to do extensive research to figure out if there is a potion that could be made to help Harry."  Remus frowned.

"Step back Albus, I’m coming through.  I want to see Harry for myself."  Albus stood and backed away from the fireplace, and soon, Remus was standing in the headmaster's office.  He didn't spare a glance for Albus.  He walked right past the headmaster and out the door, down the spiraling staircase, and headed directly for the hospital wing.

Meanwhile in the hospital wing, Harry was just beginning to stir.  Severus reached over and smoothed the hair away from the boy's face.  Harry lent into the touch, seeking the comfort that it brought.   The potions master chuckled and ruffled Harry's hair.

"Sleep well?" he asked.  Harry smiled and nodded.

"When are we going to your home?" Harry asked.

"It will be your home to Harry, for as long as you wish it."  Severus couldn't believe how fast his feelings changed for the raven haired boy.  The only thing he knew was that he was going to do everything he could to take care of the boy.

Tears came to Harry's eyes.  He had never had a home before, and it felt good to know that someone cared about him, really and truly cared.  Severus reached over and wiped Harry's face.

"No more tears now.  We will be leaving after Poppie gives you another once over."  Harry nodded and silence fell.  The silence didn't last long, for soon the hospital wing doors flew open to admit one unhappy werewolf.   When he entered the room, and saw the thin child in the bed with Severus sitting by the bed, his amber eyes turned dark.

"Hello Harry," he said.  Harry looked at the man standing near the foot of his bed in confusion.

"Who are you?” He asked.    Remus tried to smile at the child.

"I am an old friend of your parents.  My name is Remus Lupin."  Harry nodded.

"I never knew my parents," he said.

"They were good people," Remus said.  Harry nodded.  He really didn't know why this man was here.  All he wanted was to go home with Severus.

"I'm going home with Severus," Harry said.  Remus blanched and sent a glare towards Severus.  Severus, not wanting to frighten the boy, just stared stonily back at the werewolf silently.

"I know that you have been through a lot Harry," Remus said, "but your parents wouldn't want you to go home with Severus."  Harry looked confused.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Your dad and Severus didn't get along," Remus replied.  Severus growled.  He couldn't remain silent any more.

"Albus placed Harry into my care Lupin, not that it is any of your business, so if you would kindly leave then Poppie can give Harry his check up, and we can go."  Remus bristled.

"I will find a way to get Harry away from you," he said.  Harry curled up into a little ball on his bed.  He hated when people fought.  Severus, seeing Harry's distress, reached over and touched the boy's shoulder.

"Harry will be remaining with me," Severus said, his tone deadly.  Remus tried another tact.  He walked over to the other side of Harry's bed and touched his shoulder. Harry flinched, but Remus took no notice.

"Harry, wouldn't you like to come live with me.  I can tell you all about your parents, and we can have lots of fun together."  Harry turned and looked at Remus, his eyes full of a wisdom beyond his years.

"Where were you when mum and dad died?  Where were you when I was left with the Dursleys?"  Remus looked at Harry.

"I was grieving Harry.  I should have come to check up on you, I know that now."  Harry scooted closer to Severus, trying to put as much distance between himself and Lupin as he could.

"Lupin, you are scaring the boy. Leave, now."  Remus glared at the potions master but turned and headed for the door.

"This isn't over," Remus said.  Severus just glared at the werewolf as Lupin stormed out of the room.  Severus touched Harry's shoulder.

"Are you all right?" he asked.  Harry turned and looked to Severus.

"I get to stay with you, right?"  Severus nodded, and a small smile flitted across Harry's face.  Just then Madam Pomfrey bustled in.

"How are we this morning Mr. Potter?" she asked.  Harry smiled at the nurse.

"Good," he said.  For once he didn't feel sick, and it was nice.  Poppie smiled and waved her wand over the child, performing various diagnostic charms on the child. 

"Just feed him his nutrition potions, and I will contact you in two days so that you can be there when I talk to the doctor.  Is that agreeable Severus?" Severus nodded.

"Well then, off with you."  Severus scooped up the child into his arms and picked up the already pre-made portkey off the nightstand.

"Hold on," he said, as he whispered the password.  They felt a jerk behind their navels, before they were deposited in a lush green meadow outside Snape manor.

The End.
End Notes:
First, I’d like to thank all of you who have read and reviewed.  Second, I know some of you do not like how I portraid Remus, but I needed to do it for this story.  I love Remus as a character, but this is the way it had to be.  Please don’t send me a review saying Remus is out of character, because I already know.  Third, some of you have brought up the fact that England would have paid for any of Harry’s medical needs because he is a ward of the state.  I know this, but for this story, I needed Harry to be the poor little orphan with no help.  Also, cancer treatments can be expensive, and there is only so much money that can go around.  I’m sorry if that upsets anyone.  To those of you who continue reading, do not forget to review.
Chapter 5 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter characters are the property of JK. Rowling

A/N: Thank you to Maria for her editing. I hope you enjoy this chapter.  Please don’t forget to review.

Severus stayed still for a moment after they landed in the meadow surrounding Snape manor.  Harry was clutching to him for dear life, and Severus wanted to make sure that the boy was all right before proceeding to the house.

"That wasn't fun," Harry said, lifting his head from where he had buried it in Severus's cloak.  Severus chuckled.

"The way wizards travel is a lot different than the way Muggles travel no doubt."  Harry nodded.  Severus reached up and rubbed the nape of Harry's neck.

"Do you feel ready to continue on to the manor?" Severus asked.  Harry nodded, and began to look around.  Green trees filled the meadow, and little daisies and buttercups sprung up out of the grass.  The air smelled of fresh flowers, and off in the distance Harry could here a small stream of water flowing through a bed of rocks.

"Its perfect," Harry said, smiling at his guardian.  Severus smiled, and still holding the child to him, he walked through the meadow and up the path to the gates of the old family home.  Once at the gate Severus took Harry's hand in his.

"Harry, I am going to draw a small amount of blood from your finger so that I can add your magical signature to my wards.  This way the house will recognize you."  Harry nodded, and Severus pricked Harry's finger with his wand.  Once the red liquid began falling from his finger, Severus placed Harry's hand to the gate and muttered a spell under his breath.  Harry felt a warm tingle throughout his hand, and then the gate vibrated once before becoming still once more.  Severus took Harry's hand and closed the cut with his wand. Reaching up to the gate, Severus unlocked the magical padlock that he had on it for protection and swung the gate open wide.

"Welcome home," he said to Harry, walking inside onto the lush green lawns of his estate.  Severus shut the gate and walked up the small path and onto the porch.  Once at the door he took Harry's hand and placed it on the door, and the wards, recognizing Harry as a welcome visitor, allowed the door to unlock and swing open wide.  A house elf was waiting in the entry for Harry and Severus when they stepped inside.

"Master Severus, your home," a little elf with a tea towel with the Snape family crust said, walking up to her master and bowing.  Severus reached down and grabbed the elf's shoulder.

"I have told you once and I will tell you again, do not bow before me Missy."  Missy stood up straight.

"Yes master, sorry master."  Severus nodded and placed Harry on the floor.  Harry looked around at the huge entry way.  He had never been in a home this grand before.

"Missy, see that a room is prepared next to mine for Mr. Potter, and from now on you will address Harry formally.  Is that understood?"

"Yes master Snape," Missy said.  Severus nodded.

"Is there food prepared in the kitchen?" Severus asked.  Missy nodded.

"Chrissie has made fresh scones and finger sandwiches sir."  Severus nodded.

"Very well, have the food brought to us in the dining room."  The elf nodded and left the entry way.  Severus took Harry's hand.

"Come, I will show you to the dining room, and after we have eaten I will show you around the manor."  Harry nodded and followed Severus in silence.

Once at the dining room, Severus sat Harry in a booster seat that had already been placed at the table, before sitting down himself.  Within seconds, Chrissie came in with the tea and food, sitting the items on the table and silently leaving the room.  Severus put a scone, a finger sandwich, and a cup of tea in front of Harry.

"Try and eat as much as you can," Severus said.  Harry nodded and took a bite of the scone, smiling in satisfaction at the sweet, buttery taste.  He was able to finish his scone, and drink half of his tea, but his stomach was going to rebel if he ate anymore, so he sat back and waited for Severus to finish his food.

Severus sighed.  He knew that Harry's appetite was almost nonexistent due to his treatments, but it didn't make him feel any better.  The child was fading before his eyes and he couldn't let that happen.  He was going to have to begin researching soon, if he hoped to save Harry's life.  Severus finished his meal and stood.  Once he made sure that Harry's hands and face were clean, he helped Harry stand and gave him a tour of the house.

"As you know, right now you are in the dining room.  The kitchen is out this door and to the right.  The house elves do not take kindly to people invading their domain, so it would be best if you stay out of the kitchen unless you can not find a house elf."  Harry nodded and Severus led him out of the dining room.  The walked down a long hall which had several rooms on either side.

"Most of these rooms are guest rooms," Severus said, "however; this door is my potions lab.  Should you need me when I am in there please knock.  I will answer as soon as I am able.  If it is an emergency, tell a house elf and they will come and get me."  Harry nodded, and he and Severus headed upstairs.  They walked down several hallways, Severus pointing out where the library was, and where his study was.  Soon they came to another hallway and turned down it.

"This is where you and I will be staying," Severus said.  “This is my room, and the door directly next to mine is yours.  Should you need me, knock and I will answer, no matter what time it is."  Harry nodded and Severus opened Harry's door.  Inside was a room decorated in blue.  There was a plush blue carpet, a four poster bed in the corner with blue hangings, and a blue quilt covering the giant bed.  Harry looked at the bed in shock.

"This is your room.  If there is anything you want changed let me know."  Harry turned to Severus, a look of gratitude in his eyes.

"Thank you Severus," he said, his little hands clutching at Severus's robes.  Severus reached down and ruffled the boy's hair.

"Why don't you get settled in while I go talk to the house elves about our meals.  I will come up to speak to you shortly."  Harry nodded and Severus smiled at the boy before leaving the room.

Harry lay down on the bed, he was tired, and decided that a nap sounded good.  Once his body hit the soft mattress he sighed.  He would have never imagined that he would be in a home, a home that he could call his own.  He looked around the room one more time before snuggling down into the soft silky sheets, letting sleep claim him.  Severus, who had just finished talking to the house elves about Harry's condition, walked into Harry's room, and at the sight of the child sleeping soundly, Severus smiled.  He would do anything in his power to make Harry healthy.  Silently Severus left the room, but not before placing a monitoring charm on Harry that would alert him when the boy awoke.  The potions master slowly walked down the hall and to his potions lab, where he began the long and tedious task of finding a cure for Harry.

The End.
Chapter 6 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters are the Property of JK. Rowling

Severus growled in frustration. He had been researching all night and still hadn't found anything that would help Harry. Severus slammed the book closed and rubbed his eyes. Dawn was creeping over the horizon, and he knew that he should go and get a few hours of sleep before Harry woke, but he just couldn't do it. Harry was living on precious time, and he would find a cure. Severus took in a deep breath, and jumped in surprise when the monitoring charm that he had placed on Harry went off. Hoping that the child was all right, Severus stood and headed for the little boy's room.

Harry had awoken tangled up in his sheets. He didn't feel good, and he hated it. He couldn't remember a time when he hadn't been sick, and he wondered if this was how he was meant to live his life. Harry's thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock at the door. Harry weakly lifted his head from the pillow before speaking.

"Come in," he said. Severus opened the door and frowned when he saw Harry's pale face peaking at him from under the covers. Severus walked inside the room and shut the door. He strode over to Harry and touched the Childs forehead, and noticed that he had a fever.

"You aren't feeling well, are you my child?" Severus asked. Harry meekly nodded.

"It will all be all right Harry. I am going to call Poppie so that she can come and have a look at you. I will be right back.” Harry nodded, and Severus touched the boy's bald raven head before leaving the room. He walked into his study and activated the floo. Once the powder was in the flames, and the fire had turned green, Severus fire called the Hogwarts infirmary.

"Poppie," he shouted, hoping that the nurse was still awake. A tired Madam Pomfrey walked out of her office and over to the floo.

"What is it Severus. Is something wrong with Harry?" Severus nodded.

"He has a fever, and I didn't want to give him anything without consulting you first." Poppie nodded.

"Step back Severus, I am coming through." Severus stood away from the fireplace, and a few minutes later Poppie came through the fire, her medical bag in hand.

"I talked to Harry's doctor. It seems that he cares for Harry a lot, and I think we can trust him with knowing about magic and the Wizarding world." Severus nodded.

"We can tell him later on today at his appointment then," Severus said. The nurse nodded.

"Show me to Harry," she said. Severus wasted no time in leading the nurse upstairs and into Harry's room. Pomfrey walked over to Harry and touched his shoulder.

"Hello Harry dear," she said.

"Hi," Harry said, recognizing the nurse immediately by the sound of her gentle voice. Poppie smiled gently at the boy.

"Severus tells me that you aren't feeling well. I am going to run a diagnostic scan on you to see what is going on." Harry nodded. Poppie ran her scan and frowned. The news wasn't good. She sent a comforting smile towards Harry before pulling Severus into a corner of the room, and erecting a silencing charm around the two of them. Severus looked worried. He knew that the nurse wouldn't have pulled him aside unless it was something serious.

"What is going on Poppie?" he asked, almost afraid to know the answer. The nurse sighed.

"His cancer is spreading and I don't know what we can do to help him. I am going to have you start him on some herbal treatments. The herbs have no magical properties in them what so ever, and the herbs will help Harry feel better, at least for a little while. I will tell you now Severus, if a cure isn't found soon, then, the boy won't last the year.” Severus sucked in a breath at this information. He knew the fate of the boy rested in his hands, and he would be damned if he would let the child die. Harry had so much to live for.

"I suppose that we should go give Harry his medicine," Severus said. Poppie waved her wand and the silencing spell fell. Harry's fevered green eyes were staring at the potions master and the nurse.

"Can you make me better?" Harry asked. Poppie tried hard not to let her eyes fill with tears, but she failed miserably.

"I am going to do everything I can to make you feel better," she said. Harry nodded and the nurse sat to work. She gave Severus several herbal teas and herbs to make a poultice that Severus could place on Harry's chest, should he find it difficult to breathe. Once the boy was breathing normally, both Severus and Poppie sighed in relief. After several more potions, Harry was sleeping peacefully.

"He should be fine until morning, the nurse said tiredly. Severus nodded.

"Thank you Poppie," Severus said. The nurse smiled.

"It is my job," she said. "However, I would do anything to help the boy, you know that.”

Soon Poppie left, and Severus pulled up a chair next to Harry's bed to keep a close eye on him.

The potions master must have fallen asleep, because a few hours later he had opened his eyes when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He looked around the room and saw that the sun was now shining brightly through the window, and Harry was sitting up in bed.

"How are you feeling?" Severus asked.

"Better than last night," Harry replied. Severus smiled.

"I shall have the house elves bring you up some porridge to eat.”

Harry nodded, and soon Missy was in the room carrying a bowl of porridge and a plate of scrambled eggs and sausage for Severus balanced on a tray.

"Thank you Missy," Severus said. The little elf bobbed up and down.

"Your very welcome master Snape." The two ate their breakfast in silence, and once the meal was finished Severus turned to Harry.

"Today we are going to see Doctor Peterson," Severus said. The little boy's eyes lit up at the sound of his doctor's name and he smiled.

"I like Doctor Peterson," Harry said. Severus smiled, and after waving his hand to make the breakfast tray disappear, he helped Harry out of bed and into the bathroom to take a bath. Once Harry was cleaned up and ready for the day, Severus left him in his room reading a book of fairytales while he got ready.

After Severus was ready he went and collected Harry from his room, and then went downstairs to fire call Poppie, who came through the fireplace to accompany Harry and Severus to the Muggle doctor’s office.

"How are we going to get there Severus?" Poppie asked.

"I think the best way to travel is by portkey," Severus said. "Harry doesn't like apperating much, and although I don't think he will care much for portkeys, I'm not familiar with the location of the doctor's office, and I don't want to splinch us." The nurse nodded, and Severus pulled a plastic shrunken cauldron out of his pocket. Once Poppie and Harry had their hands on the portkey, Severus whispered the activation spell, and within moments the three were whisked away from Snape manor, only to land seconds later in an alley close to the doctor’s office.

Harry was a little wobbly after the landing, but he didn't look like he was going to be sick, so Severus took the child's hand and led him around the building until they came to the entrance, and walked inside, the nurse trailing behind them. The three walked up to the receptionist desk, and the receptionist, recognizing Harry, smiled warmly down at him.

"Doctor Peterson will be with you shortly," she said. Severus and Poppie nodded and they all took seats to wait for their turn to see the doctor. Soon Harry was called back, and once he saw Doctor Peterson, he broke away from Severus's strong hold on him and ran up to the doctor, hugging him tightly. Doctor Peterson chuckled.

"I missed you to kiddo," he said, giving Harry a tight squeeze. He pulled back from Harry and gave the child a good once over. He looked pale, and he still needed to gain weight, but he looked happy, and the doctor was pleased to see that.

"Well, should we get started?" Doctor Peterson asked. Harry nodded, and he was led over to a bed and he climbed onto the mattress and lay down, awaiting his treatment. Severus stepped forward and spoke.

"Doctor Peterson, before you give young Harry his treatment, I think there is something you should know." The doctor smiled and turned to Severus.

"And what might that be?" Poppie, who was standing behind Severus, discreetly pulled her wand out of her pocket and cast silencing as well as locking spells on the door, so as not to be over heard. Then she stepped forward.

"Hello doctor Peterson, my name is Poppie Pomfrey, I believe I spoke to you briefly a while back concerning Mr. Potter's treatment." Doctor Peterson nodded.

"Well, Harry has an interesting case. You see, Harry isn't like most children. He is different, and that is why I am finding it difficult to treat him."

"I don't understand," Doctor Peterson said. Severus spoke.

"Young Harry is a wizard, and so are Poppie and I. I know that it may be hard for you to believe,

but I can prove it." The doctor looked between the nurse and Severus, a look plainly saying that he thought they were both nuts. Severus removed his wand from his pocket, and giving it a good wave, he made sparks fly out of his wand. Next, Severus muttered a spell, and his wand tip lit up. Doctor Peterson's mouth flew open in shock, and he sat down roughly into a chair that was next to the hospital bed. He took in a few deep breaths and looked at the other occupants in the room before speaking.

"So I assume that you guys can cure Harry then?" the doctor asked. The nurse frowned sadly.

"I'm afraid not doctor," she said. "cancer is a Muggle illness and the wizards that have contracted it have died shortly after getting the disease. The treatments that you use do not mix well with a wizards magic, and only work half as much as they should."

"So what can we do?" doctor Peterson asked, still shocked at the news he had just heard, but knowing that he would do whatever it took to help Harry. Severus spoke.

"I am currently trying to make a potion to cure Harry, but since not much is known about cancer, it is difficult to know what I may or may not use to treat this illness." The doctor nodded.

"What do you need me to do?" he asked. Poppie spoke.

"I still want you to give Mr. Potter his treatments, however, I want to try and find some combination of Muggle and wizard medicine, to see if we can buy Harry some time until we can find a cure. I will need to know what you are giving Harry, and the doses that you are giving him, and I will even need a small flask of the medicine that you are putting into his body. Severus will take the medicine and see what potion ingredients work well with the medicine, and hopefully he can create a potion to help Harry. If anyone can do it, Severus can."

"What is a Muggle?" doctor Peterson asked.

"A Muggle is someone who doesn't have any magic," Severus said. The doctor nodded.

"You will have to forgive me if I am finding this all difficult to take in. However, I will do what it takes to help Harry, and since I know that you two do

not wish to hurt the boy, I will let you use your potions on him, as well as keep your magic secret." Poppie and Severus sighed with relief. With the doctor on their side, hopefully things will begin to look up for Harry.

"For now I will give Harry his usual treatment, then next week if you have made a potion that works well with the medicine that I have given him, we can try it and see how it works." The potions master nodded, and doctor Peterson stood and began to administer Harry's chemo therapy.

By the end of the day, Harry was exhausted, and all he wanted to do was go home and sleep. Severus, seeing that his charge was tired, swiftly picked up the child and held him close to his body.

"Thank you doctor," he said. The doctor smiled and nodded.

"Same time next week," he said." Madam Pomfrey and Severus nodded before exiting the hospital, and taking the port key back to Snape manor. Once home, Severus tucked Harry into bed, and after he had seen Poppie to the fireplace, he took the vile of the medicine that doctor Peterson had used on Harry, and went into his lab to begin analyzing the concoction, hoping that he could make a potion that would help save Harry's life.

The End.
End Notes:
I know that Doctor Peterson wasn’t as put off by magic as some people might think he should be, but his main concern is for Harry. If Harry gets better that is all that matters. Please review.
Chapter 7 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter characters are the property of JK Rowling

Harry awoke feeling good for once, so he decided to take advantage of it.  He walked out of his room and down to the dining room, and was happy to see Severus sitting at the table drinking a cup of tea, the morning addition of the newspaper propped up in front of him.  Severus turned at the sound of Harry pulling his chair out at the table.  He saw the color in Harry's cheeks, and the brightness of his richly colored emerald eyes, and he knew that this was going to be one of Harry's good days.

"I see that you are feeling better today," Severus said.  Harry smiled, and took a sip of the tea that had magically appeared in front of him.

"I'm feeling well Severus.  Can we do something fun today?"  Severus thought for a moment.  He didn't think that making potions in a lab all day would be fun for the boy, and since he hadn't had much fun as a child, he really didn't know what he should do with the boy.

"Would you like to go flying?" Severus asked.  Harry's eyes glowed brightly as he beamed across the table at Severus.

"Sounds fun," he said.  By now, the house elves had gotten Harry his breakfast which consisted of some mixed fruit, a peace of toast, and some porridge, and Harry was vigorously plowing through his food.  This was pleasing to see for Severus.  He was glad that Harry had an appetite, and he wouldn't let himself think that his sudden bout of energy wouldn't last for long.

"I will take you flying, and then we will find you a hobby," Severus said.

"Hobby?" Harry asked.  Severus smiled.  He had forgotten that Harry was still a child, and might not know some of the vocabulary that he used.

"We will find you something that you are interested in," Severus said.

"I like paint," Harry said.  Severus smiled and nodded.

"We will get you a paint set and some canvas for you to paint on," Severus said.  Harry nodded and finished his breakfast in silence.

After breakfast was finished, Severus told Harry to go get his cloak, and the young child complied.

"We are going to go to diagon alley to get you some paint supplies," Severus said.  "Hold on tight."  Severus wrapped his arms around the small boy and apparated them to just outside the leaky cauldron.  Harry looked around at his surroundings.  He still couldn't believe that pictures could move.  Severus led Harry to a store that was just across the street from Quality Quidditch supplies that was called Madam Araya's art supply store, and walked inside.  Harry looked at the pictures that were on display around the store.  There were paintings of animals grazing in a meadow, and several paintings of the oceans waves crashing onto the sea shore were also on the walls.  A tall blond woman walked up to Severus and Harry and smiled warmly.

"May I help you sirs?" she asked.

"I need some paint supplies for young Harry here," Severus said.  The young woman smiled and led them back to an area with colorful paper paints, and paintbrushes.  She handed Severus several pictures that Harry could color in with paints, then she got several blank canvases and handed them to Severus.  Next, she allowed Harry to pick out the different colored paints he wanted, and Severus was sure that they had every color of the rainbow and then some by the time Harry was done choosing his colors.  Finally, Severus paid for the purchases, and he left the store with a smiling Harry in toe.

"Thank you Sev," Harry said as he jumped along beside Severus.  Severus took Harry's hand in his and smiled.

"There is no need to thank me Harry.  Children your age need to have something that will both stimulate you and occupy your time."

Before leaving the alley, Severus stopped at a toy store, and allowed Harry to pick out a few toys.  The child was hesitant at first, but after much reassurance from Severus that it was okay to pick out more than one toy, the small boy got in to the spirit of things and had picked out several stuffed toys as well as a child's snitch to chase across the room.

By the time the two got home, Harry was exhausted.

"Go and take a nap Harry.  I will set up a room for you to play in and when you wake, you may begin painting if you wish."  Harry nodded and as soon as he crawled into bed he fell asleep.  He dreamt of Severus and he playing in a meadow without a care in the world.  He dreamt of warm arms holding him close, protecting him.  He dreamt of safety.  For the first time in a long while, Harry felt safe.

After his nap Harry's energy was renewed.  He went in search of Severus, and after asking Chrissie where Severus was, she led him to a small room that was next to Severus's potion lab.  Harry looked around the room in wide eyed wonderment.  In the corner was a toy box filled to the brim with all the toys that Harry had picked out and more.  In another corner was a big table, and spread out on the table was a canvas, ready to be painted on.  There were also shelves in the room filled with children’s books, coloring books, and pictures that Harry could paint on.  Tears filled Harry's eyes.  He had never had someone do something like this for him before.  He ran across the room and through himself into Severus's arms.

"Thank you Sev," he said.  Severus kissed Harry’s head.

"We must do something about your thanking people thing Harry," Severus said.  Harry looked at him, confusion showing on his face.  Severus chuckled and kissed Harry's forehead.

"Enjoy your toys Harry.  Should you need anything, all you have to do is ask.  You will never want for anything.  Do not be afraid to come to me for any reason."  Harry nodded, and pulled away from Severus.  He ran over to his toy box and dumped his toys out on the floor, sifting through them excitedly, not sure which toy he wanted to play with first.

"Be sure to pick up your toys once you are done," Severus said.  Harry nodded, not really paying attention to Severus, and Severus left the room.  He was glad that Harry had at least one day where he wasn't feeling to ill to play, and he was going to make sure that Harry had many more days like this one.

Severus headed back to his lab and began to work on a potion that would hopefully help Harry fight his cancer.  He worked for a couple hours until a house elf came to announce dinner, and since he was at a stopping place in the potion, he cast a stasis spell around the cauldron and joined Harry for dinner.

Harry didn't eat as much as he had for breakfast, but that was all right.  After eating, Severus took Harry flying, and by the time the sun had set behind the clouds, Harry had fallen asleep against Severus's chest.  Severus slowly landed the broom, and then carried the sleeping boy inside.  Severus placed Harry into bed, and after tucking him in tightly, Severus kissed Harry's cheek and left the room to retire to his own bed.  He hoped that tomorrow was as good as today for Harry.

The End.
Chapter 8 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: All of the Harry Potter Characters of the Harry Potter universe belong to JK. Rowling

Harry awoke shaking, his blankets twisted around his feet, and he was sweating profusely.  He tried to get out of bed, but when he sat up his stomach churned and he lost what food he had left  in his stomach all over his covers.  Harry's head was pounding as well, which made rational thought almost impossible.  Harry wanted Severus, he needed Severus, but he couldn't go and get him.  Feebly he spoke.

"Chrissie," he said.  The little elf popped into the room and looked at her little master.  She had grown fond of Harry and didn't want anything happening to him.  She looked at his feverish face and his glazed eyes, and without being asked, went and got Severus.

Severus was in his lab, cursing at the potion that had just exploded.   Mixing the Muggle medicine with magical potions was proving to be difficult, and Severus was running out of time.  Chrissie popped into the potions lab and startled Severus from his thoughts.

"This better be important Chrissie," Severus snarled.  The little elf bobbed her head.  She was use to her master's hot temper, and she could handle it.

"Young master isn't feeling well again sir," Chrissie said.  Severus swore, and after insuring that his cauldron wouldn't explode in his absence, Severus left the lab and ran to Harry's room.  He walked inside and ran instantly over to Harry.  The child had soiled his bed clothes, and his eyes were bright with fever.

"Severus," Harry said weakly.  Severus placed a hand on Harry's shoulder and shushed him.

"Shhh, it's going to be all right."

"I'm sorry," Harry said, tears falling unchecked down his cheeks.

"Sorry for what Harry?" Severus asked.

"I'm-- sorry-- for-- making my bed covers and clothes-- dirty," Harry said, his cries becoming frantic.  Severus felt a well of anger rising up inside him.  Harry didn't know that being sick wasn't his fault.

"You can't help being sick Harry.  I'm not mad at you," Severus said, reaching up to Harry's cheek and wiping at the tears.  Severus took his wand out and vanished the sick away, then he gathered Harry into his arms.  Harry was burning up, and Severus was scared that he would lose the boy.  He summoned a house elf, and soon Chrissie had popped into the room.

"What can Chrissie do for you master?"

"Go fetch me a fever reducer from the shelf marked Harry in my lab and then call madam Pomfrey."  The elf nodded and disappeared, leaving a worried Severus to tend to a scared Harry.  He went into the bathroom and started a tepid bath, and after the tub had filled he walked back into Harry's room.  He undressed Harry and picked the light child up in his arms and proceeded to carry him to the bathroom.  Harry clung to Severus as if his life depended on it.  He didn't want Severus to leave him.

"I'm not going anywhere," Severus said, kissing Harry's forehead.  Once in the bathroom, Severus placed Harry in the tub, and Harry protested.

"I'm cold," he said.

"I know Harry, but I need to get your fever down," Severus said.  Harry began to cry, and Severus summoned a calming potion from the medicine cabinet and coaxed Harry to drink it.  Harry calmed, but he still looked horrible.  Severus was relieved to hear Madam Pomfrey walking up the stairs and into Harry's room.

"How is he Severus?" the nurse asked, already scanning Harry with her wand.  She had Harry take a fever reducing potion, but it didn't look like it was helping the child any.

"I'm afraid that there isn't anything we can do but keep him comfortable and hope that this will pass," Madam Pomfrey said.

"There had to be something we can do Poppy," Severus said.  The nurse could tell that Severus was close to breaking down, and so was she.

"Keep him in the bath for another fifteen minutes.  You can keep giving him potions, and in the morning I will contact Doctor Peterson and see what kind of Muggle treatments he can recommend to help Harry."  Severus nodded.  Madam Pomfrey stood to leave.

"I will send someone over to watch over Harry in the morning.  You need to get back to your research. Hopefully you can save him."

"Send over Minerva.  Her presence is tolerable, and I don't think I can deal with Albus right now."  The nurse nodded, took one more glance at Harry and left.  She prayed that Severus could save Harry.  If he didn't, the wizarding world would be looking for another savior.

Severus sat by Harry's bed for the rest of the night.  He would intermittently run a cool cloth over Harry’s feverish forehead, and when the child would stir from a bad dream or a fever induced fear, Severus would gather the boy into his arms and rock him gently until he calmed down.  It was nearing dawn when Harry awoke.

"So hot," he said.  He tried to sit up, but his body was too weak.

"Do not move Harry," Severus said gently.

"Going to be sick," Harry said.  Severus conjured a basin and Harry dry heaved into the tub.  He had nothing in his stomach to purge, and Severus was concerned that Harry's condition was worsening.  

After he had Harry settled in bed once more he spoke.

"Minerva McGonigal, a teacher at Hogwarts, is going to come and sit with you while I work on some potions to make you feel better," Severus said as he stroked Harry's bald head lightly.

"You will come if I need you," Harry said.  Severus nodded.

"I am always going to be here for you Harry," Severus said.  Severus heard footsteps traipsing up the stairs and knew that the Transfigurations teacher had arrived.

"How is he this morning Severus?" McGonigal asked.

"His fever has lowered, but it is starting to rise again.  I'm afraid that unless I find something for him soon, he might not make it much longer."  McGonigal's eyes filled with tears but she kept them at bay.  It wouldn't do for Harry to see her upset.

"You go work on your potions.  If Harry needs you or if anything changes, I will let you know."  Severus nodded and leaned down and kissed Harry's forehead.

"You know how to find me," he said.  Harry sleepily nodded and snuggled down into the warm blankets, knowing that Severus would keep him safe.

---

The next morning dawned bright and clear, but there was no improvement in Harry's health.  Severus was worried, but he put on a brave face for Harry.  McGonagal had left after breakfast and Poppy had soon arrived with Doctor Peterson in toe.

"How is our young Harry doing?" Doctor Peterson asked.

"There has been no improvement," Severus said.  Severus led the doctor and nurse up to Harry's room and Doctor Peterson walked over to Harry's bed.

"May I take some blood?" doctor Peterson asked.  Severus nodded.  The doctor took a syringe out of his medical bag, and after making sure all of the air was out of it, he slowly punctured Harry's arm and withdrew the blood.  After getting the amount he needed, the doctor handed the vial of blood to Madam Pomfrey.

“I figure that it would be faster for you to get the test results since you have magical means,” Doctor Peterson said.  The nurse smiled and waved her wand over the vial.  Within seconds numbers appeared, and both Doctor Peterson and Poppy frowned at the results.

“I’m afraid Severus that there isn’t much we can do for Mr. Potter any longer,” Madam Pomfrey said.

“The cancer has spread into his blood stream, and his immune system is no longer fighting back.  Unless you have some kind of miracle, Harry will be dead within the next day or so,” the nurse said.  Severus glanced at Harry then at the healer and doctor, and he felt his anger build.

“Harry Potter will not die,” Severus said.  He turned on his heal, his billowing black robes fanning out around him, and ran down the hall to his lab where he slammed the door and began feverishly looking for a cure.  He wouldn’t stop until he found one.

The End.
Chapter 9 by GoldenPhoenix
Author's Notes:
Thank you to Maria for editing.

Severus got out another cauldron and began chopping up some herbs.  He had been pouring over Harry’s blood sample and his notes regarding his failed experiments and thought that now he had found a cure.  He took the innocent looking asphodel plant and began grinding the leaves into a fine powder.  Severus knew that asphodel was used in the draft of the living death, so he had to use it sparingly so that Harry wouldn’t fall into a permanent coma.

After grinding up the asphodel he put it in the cauldron along with a drop of dittany.  The dittany’s magical properties would help Harry heal, Severus hoped.  He stirred the two herbs together in the cauldron and was pleased that the two didn’t explode.

Next, Severus sprinkled some ginger into the simmering cauldron.  The ginger would settle Harry’s stomach, which would make the illness leave Harry’s body more quickly if he was settled.  Severus stirred again and was pleased to see the unfinished potion bubbling happily.

The last herb that Severus stuck into the potion was the Mandrake root.  He hoped by putting this plant into the potion, that Harry’s body would be restored to its healthy state.  He only hoped that the potion worked.  He stirred the potion and placed a monitoring spell on it.  The potion had to simmer for an hour, just enough time for Severus to check on Harry and to go see Albus for the final ingredient.

When Severus arrived at Harry’s room, he looked sadly at the shaking pail boy.  Harry was retching into a basin, and Poppy was rubbing his back soothingly.

“The Muggle drugs are taking their toll on his body Severus,” Poppy said.  “How is the potion coming along?”

Severus tried not to bounce up and down in excitement as he spoke.  “I believe I have found the right combination of herbs that can help Harry.  I only need to see if Fawkes  will lend me some of his Phoenix tears.

“You’d better hurry,” the nurse said.  Severus gave Harry one last look before quickly turning around and striding out of the room and down the stairs to his fireplace.  He threw in a pinch of floo powder and flooed to the headmaster’s office.

Albus was sitting in his chair, Fawkes on his shoulder, when Severus fell out of the fire and into the office.  The old man jumped slightly, but relaxed when he saw Severus.

“Albus, I need some tears from Fawkes,” Severus said.  Albus looked at Severus.

“I’m assuming that you need the phoenix tears for their healing properties?”  The headmaster nodded.  Dumbledore closed his eyes for a moment and stroked Fawkes’s soft plumage.

“Fawkes and I shall be at your manor shortly,” Albus said.  Severus didn’t speak, he turned and threw another hand full of floo powder and stepped into the green flames, only to land in his home seconds later.  Albus stepped through right after the potions master, and both headed to Severus’s lab.  Severus stirred the potion.  Fawkes flew off Dumbledore’s shoulder and flew around the room, singing all the while.  When he flew over the cauldron a pearly tear fell from his eye and dropped into the potion.  The potion turned pure white, whiter than snow, and Severus sighed in relief.  The potion had been brewed successfully, and now all that had to be done was to administer it to Harry.   Severus hoped it would work. 

He took the cauldron off the flame and waited fifteen minutes for it to cool.  Next, he put the potion into several vials and quickly walked to Harry’s room.  Severus walked over to Harry’s bed and set the bottled potion onto the night table.

“We shall see if this works,” Severus said.  He leaned over and stroked Harry’s forehead.  Harry blearily opened his eyes and tried to smile at Severus, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

“I’m going to give you a potion that should make you feel better Harry,” Severus said.  The boy nodded and Severus crawled up onto the bed and lifted the tiny child into his arms.  Severus leaned against the head board, and once he was comfortable, he gestured for Poppy to hand him the potion.  The nurse handed Severus the vial, and Severus gently tipped Harry’s head back, and Harry dutifully opened his mouth.  Severus poured the potion into Harry’s mouth, and rubbed Harry’s throat to help him to swallow.  Harry’s eyes turned glassy and he fell against Severus, his eyes closed in sleep. 

Poppy cast a diagnostic charm on Harry, and noticed that he wasn’t getting any worse, but his health wasn’t improving.  “Now we wait,” Poppy said.

Severus held Harry protectively in his arms.  “Now we wait.”

Fawkes flew into the room and landed on the headboard.  He started trilling a quiet song that sounded like a lullaby, and Severus felt Harry relax even more in his embrace.  All through the night, Fawkes sang, and all through the night the occupants of the room watched for any signs of improvement from Harry.

The first thing Harry noticed when he awoke was how warm he felt.  He slowly opened one eye and saw Severus leaning against the headboard with his eyes closed in sleep.  Harry smiled.  He felt safe nestled in Severus's arms, and he didn't want to lose the feeling of comfort.  Harry wriggled a little and was pleased to feel the arms holding him tighten slightly.

Severus awoke and felt Harry stirring.  He tightened his arms protectively around the boy.  "Harry, are you all right?" Severus asked.

Harry thought for a moment.  He didn't feel ill, although he did feel a little weak, but he felt better than he had in a long while.  Harry spoke:  "I don't feel sick but I still feel a little weak." 

Severus smiled.  He wasn't entirely sure that the potion would work, and he was pleased that Harry was feeling better.  "I'm glad you are feeling better Harry."

The noise that the two were making woke Albus and Poppy, whom had fallen asleep in chairs sometime during the night.  Poppy immediately pulled out her wand and scanned Harry.  She scanned him at least three times before she spoke.  "It appears that Harry's cancer is gone," she said.

"That is good news Poppy," Dumbledore said.

"I do not know, however, if the cancer is in remission or completely gone.  We will have to give Harry several check ups regularly throughout the next year, and if nothing pops up then I will check him twice a year for five years, and if the cancer doesn't reappear then we will know if it is gone for good.  If there is any indication that Harry is suffering from the disease Severus, you must bring the boy to me at once.  Also, Harry is going to be more susceptible to other illnesses such as Pneumonia, because of his weaken immune system, so if he even gets a cold it must be treated right away."

Albus twinkled at Poppy's tirade, and Severus for once, let the woman ramble on.  All that mattered to the potions master was that Harry was safe.

"Well, our work here is done Poppy," Albus said.  The nurse nodded, and after Severus gave the nurse several assurances that he would call if he needed her medical expertise, the headmaster and the healer were gone, leaving Harry and Severus alone in the bedroom.

"For the next couple days Harry you will be staying in bed.  You need to get some food back in your body, and if you can keep it down then you can get up and begin doing exercises to get your strength back."  Harry nodded.

"Will I be staying with you?" Harry asked.  Severus knew that for the moment Harry wasn't going anywhere, but he didn't know what was going to happen in the future.  At the time that Harry was placed in Severus's care, no one thought that the child was going to live, but now, a decision had to be made as to where Harry would reside.  Severus thought for a moment.  He couldn't imagine living without the boy.  He would talk to Albus and see if he could adopt the boy, but for now he would tell Harry something that wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the entire truth.

"You aren't going anywhere for now Harry.  I need to talk to Albus to see what I have to do to make it so you can live with me permanently."

“You want me to live with you permanently?" Harry asked. 

Severus hugged the boy close to him.  "Yes, I enjoy your company, and would be more than happy to be your guardian."  Severus wouldn't call himself Harry's father.  Not yet, he wouldn't want to get his hopes, or Harry's hopes up so quickly just to have them dashed.

Harry sighed and burrowed into Severus.  "I love you Sev," he said.

Severus smiled and kissed Harry's forehead.

"I love you too."  Harry, still weak from his near brush with death, fell asleep in Severus's arms, dreaming of flying on broomsticks and eating ice-cream with the man who he thought of as his daddy.

The End.
End Notes:
Thank you to those of you who reviewed.  There will be a sequel up shortly.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1291