Never Normal by Alexis8907
Summary: 10 year old Harry is kidnapped along with his aunt and cousin after Vernon finds money that belonged to powerful people. Snape eventually steps in to save the day. Severus later adopts Harry though a ritual to make Harry his biological son. Harry just wants to be normal but that isn't possible with escaped convict Sirius Black on the loose! Harry's first year at Hogwarts but with a slight twist to it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 46585 Read: 144438 Published: 02 May 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007
Sorting by Alexis8907

“We are ready for you now.”

With those words said, Professor McGonagall led the line of students into the Great Hall. Lisa looked up and saw the beautiful ceiling. “It’s enchanted to look like the sky outside. I read about it in-“

Hogwarts, A History. I know because I read that as well.” Alec informed Lisa, who had been sticking near him since they exited the train. Before either could say anymore, the hall had quieted. Professor McGonagall placed a stool on the ground in front of the four house tables and positioned a tattered hat upon it. The hat shocked many first-years by singing a tune about Hogwarts and each of the houses. Everyone applauded once it was finished and waited eagerly for the new students to be sorted. Professor McGonagall called out several names before reaching Lisa.

“Bellini, Lisa” The girl nervously stepped forward and the hat was placed on her head. She sat there for a brief moment before the hat called out, “RAVENCLAW!” The Ravenclaw table clapped for their newest member. The sorting seemed to last forever before they finally got to the last names beginning with S.

“Snape, Alec” announced Professor McGonagall. The hall quieted notably and many students stared back and forth between their potions professor and the young boy who sat upon the stool. Whispers broke out amongst the students at the incredibility of their “evil” potions master having a child.

“Mr. Snape… Or should I say Mr. Potter?” A voice whispered in Alec’s head. “Hmm… Let’s see… Intelligence appears to be your most prominent quality. You could do well in Slytherin though but I can see that you would rather be with your friend so better beRAVENCLAW!” The hat shouted to the Great Hall. For a moment it was quiet, since everyone expected Alec to end up in Slytherin but a few Ravenclaws and Slytherins began clapping for the boy. Alec stole a look up at his father who was wearing an unemotional mask except for the bit of pride shining in his eyes. Alec wandered over to the Ravenclaw table and sat down next to Lisa.

Shortly after the sorting was finished, the headmaster called for the feast to begin. When the food appeared on the table, many first years gasped before digging in. Once everyone was full, the headmaster stood up. He gave his customary speech about the do’s and don’ts around Hogwarts along with the list of forbidden objects posted in Mr. Filch’s office. A Ravenclaw prefect led all the first years to the entrance of their tower.

“This is the entrance.” The portrait guarding their entrance was a painting of the four founders standing outside of Hogwarts when they first built it. “The password is Knowledge is Power. Do not forget it.” The portrait opened and the students filed inside.

“As members of the Ravenclaw house you are expected to know the materials ahead of time for each class. We have been known to be prepared so make sure to get ahead by at least one chapter before class. Ravenclaw has not won the house cup in many years so try being of the best behavior and not to lose house points. Girls dormitories are to the left and boys are to the right.” With that said the prefect dismissed them and most headed up to get ready for bed.

Alec said goodnight to Lisa before heading to his dormitory to meet his roommates. Four other boys shared the dorm with him. One of them had dirty blond spiked hair, one black and the other two had brown hair.

The black haired boy introduced himself first, “Hi! My name is Joshua Johnson. You can call me Josh or JJ.” The boy was rather energetic and Alec extended his hand to shake.

“I’m Alec Snape.” The blond haired boy winced at the last name. Alec just raised a questioning eyebrow to the gesture which made him look even more like his father.

“I’m Anthony and my brother is also in Ravenclaw. He told me all about your father.” The blond boy replied to the unasked question.

Alec rolled his eyes slightly. “First off, I’m not my father and second, he is not that bad. He gets a little cranky and strict sometimes, but oh well.” Anthony chose to dig through his trunk rather than respond.

“I’m Dominic.” One of the brown haired boys said to cut the silence in the room.

“I am Mark.” The last boy responded.

“Nice to meet you all. I think I’m going to head to bed now since tomorrow is going to be a long day.” Alec crawled in bed having already changed into pajamas. The others murmured good nights and followed suit. Soon the dormitory was filled with light snoring as the first year Ravenclaws drifted off to sleep.

.................................

Alec was the first to wake the next morning since Severus had conditioned him to get up early. He gathered some items for an early shower. When he left the bathroom 20 minutes later, he discovered that his roommates were just waking up. Josh was the first one ready and headed over to Alec who was reading.

“Do you know how to get to the Great Hall?” Josh asked. Alec shook his head negatively.

“We should ask one of the older students.” Alec suggested as he packed up his book bag. Josh nodded and then went down to the common room, which was decorated in blues and silvers and contained many bookshelves lined along the walls.

Alec walked up to an older student who was reading. “Excuse me, but can you give us directions on how to get to the Great Hall?” Alec politely asked. The Ravenclaw looked up at him and his expression darkened a bit.

“Sure… Just turn left and follow the staircases until you reach the Great Hall.” The older boy just went back to his reading but seemed to have a small smirk on his face.

“Thanks.” Alec and Josh exited the portrait and went left down the corridor. They walked a ways before finally reaching a staircase, which went up. “I don’t think this is the right way. Aren’t we supposed to go down rather than up?”

“I dunno. I was too full and tired last night to pay attention. Let’s go up anyways.” JJ suggested energetically. Alec just followed him and planned to head back if the path did not look promising. Unfortunately they ended up helplessly lost and Alec was getting frustrated.

“What are we going to do?” JJ whined as they tried turning around but couldn’t seem to find the right path to take them back towards the common room.

They were both tired from spending the last twenty minutes wandering and Alec decided he had enough. He slid down the wall and buried his face in his hands. JJ flopped down next to him.

“I wish my dad was here. He’d get us out.” Luckily enough for them, Severus strolled down that hallway in their direction.

“What are you doing down here?” He asked sharply.

“We got lost.” Alec replied as he hugged his father. “How did you find us?”

“Breakfast was almost over and you had not showed up yet so I assumed that something was wrong therefore I tracked you down.” Severus said the last part rather vaguely but Alec knew immediately that his father was referring to the pendant that he wore.  Severus handed a piece of paper to Alec and Josh.  He had grabbed Alec’s schedule and chose to grab Josh’s since the black haired boy was the only other first year absent from breakfast.

“Will we still have time for breakfast?” Alec’s stomach gave a little rumble signifying he was hungry.

“No but I brought along two muffins. This will have to suffice until lunch time. Now follow me and I will lead you to the potions classroom, since that happens to be your first class of the day.” Severus led both muffin eating boys out of the twisted corridors and to the potions dungeon. They were the first to arrive and Alec selected a seat in the front row. Josh pulled up the chair next to his and cracked open his potions book for reviewing. Alec followed suit and they both read until class started.

Potions class was shared with the Hufflepuffs and once everyone arrived, all seats were filled. A Hufflepuff boy named Oliver ended up sitting on the other side of Alec. The boy seemed to be trembling a bit, no doubt having heard stories of the frightening potions master. As if on cue, Severus swept into the classroom with a bang. Everyone jumped a bit except for Alec who was rather used to his father’s dramatic entrances.

Severus gave his usual speech about the subtle science of potion making along with directions on their first concoction. He instructed the students to begin making the boil curing potion that he always started first years with. Alec breezed through the potion seeing as he had done it before. He spared a glance at Josh, who seemed to be doing everything right. Alec then looked to his left at the Hufflepuff, who was just adding porcupine quills with the fire still on.

“Wait--”Alec started to say as he tried to prevent Oliver from adding the quills but it was too late. A small explosion occurred and boils spread over Alec’s arm and all over Oliver. The Hufflepuff started tearing up at the pain and at seeing the menacing scowl on the potion master’s face.

“15 points from Hufflepuff for not following directions!”  The professor barked out at the terrified boy covered in boils. His voice turned softer as he spoke to Alec, “Go to the infirmary and Madam Pomfrey will fix that. Take this imbecile with you.” Alec just nodded and gathered his stuff and led Oliver out of the classroom. Alec was familiar with the dungeons so he was able to navigate them to the infirmary. Madam Pomfrey tended to their boils and instructed the boys to relax on the beds while the boils disappeared.

They were finished when the bell sounded so Oliver and Alec headed separate ways to their next classes. Alec searched around a little before finding the transfiguration classroom. He may have spent all summer at Hogwarts, but he didn’t get a chance to do a whole lot of exploring. He mostly knew his way from the dungeons to the Great Hall or library. Other than that, he was just like every other first year trying to find their way around. He found an free seat next to Josh and took it.

“Are you alright now?” JJ asked as he set out his supplies. Alec just nodded and listened intently to the lecture that Professor McGonagall began giving.

After Transfiguration, it was finally lunch time. Since Alec and JJ didn’t get much for breakfast, they devoured their meal rather quickly. Their last classes that day were History of Magic and Charms.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1314