Never Normal by Alexis8907
Summary: 10 year old Harry is kidnapped along with his aunt and cousin after Vernon finds money that belonged to powerful people. Snape eventually steps in to save the day. Severus later adopts Harry though a ritual to make Harry his biological son. Harry just wants to be normal but that isn't possible with escaped convict Sirius Black on the loose! Harry's first year at Hogwarts but with a slight twist to it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 46585 Read: 144439 Published: 02 May 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007
Surprise! by Alexis8907

Alec was officially on the team now that he received his father’s consent to participate in the dangerous sport. The Ravenclaw Quidditch team had practice three, sometimes four, times a week. Alec became rather busy with the increasing amount of homework on top of Quidditch practices. He spent most of his time working on homework in the library with his two friends. The rest of September flew by rather quickly.

It was currently October 20th and Potions class was just ending when the potions professor requested Lisa and Josh to stay behind just after the bell rang. Alec packed up his things and was prepared to wait but his father had other plans.

“You may wait for your friends outside, Mr. Snape.” The potions master said to his son. The look on Severus’ face told Alec that he was going to wait outside whether or not he wanted to so he complied and left the room.

Severus warded the classroom to prevent Alec from listening in to the conversation they were about to have. “What I am about to say is to stay between the two of you.” The Ravenclaw first years exchanged nervous glances with each other before turning their attention back to the professor. “First, has Alec mentioned anything about his birthday to the two of you?” Both shook their heads negatively and that made things easier for Severus to explain. “Alec never had a birthday party and tomorrow is his birthday. I have been planning a small party and I’m sure that Alec would be appreciative if you two could attend it.” Lisa and Josh looked shocked at the thought of their friend never having a birthday party.

“So this is a surprise party?” Lisa asked and Severus gave a brisk nod in agreement. “Why hasn’t he ever had a birthday party before, sir?” Lisa dared to ask.

Severus scowled a bit but answered none the less, “Alec grew up with muggles. That is all I will say and Alec will be the one to tell you more if he chooses to confide in you. Don’t pressure him.” Severus added with a stern glare.

“Is there anything that he might want for his birthday?” Josh asked after a moment.

“I am unsure about that. Alec has not requested anything so I can not suggest anything at the moment.”

“Where will the party be professor?” Lisa questioned as possible present gifts shifted through her mind.

“It will be our quarters shortly after your evening meal in the Great Hall. I will alert Alec that I wish to see him after Quidditch practice. If you both choose to attend, then you are required to be in my office before Quidditch practice is over.”

“We will be there sir.” Lisa stated firmly.

“That is all. You are dismissed.” Severus said briskly before turning back to grading papers. Lisa and Josh gathered up their belongings and headed out the dungeon door, where Alec was waiting.

“What did my father want?” Alec curiously questioned as they walked to the Great Hall for dinner.

“Nothing much. It was mostly about an extra credit project that Josh and I are doing.” Lisa explained.

“Why did I have to leave the room?” Alec questioned as they reached the Great Hall.

“I don’t know. Can we talk about this tomorrow? I’m rather hungry right now.” Alec just nodded in acceptance but made a mental note to bring it up the following day.

 .................................................


The following morning Alec received a bit of a surprise when his father’s owl arrived in front of him along with a note. Alec removed the note and read the short message.

Alec-

I would appreciate it if you could come by our rooms this evening after Quidditch practice.

The note was not signed but it didn’t need to since Alec recognized his father’s familiar scrawl. Alec looked up and meeting his father’s gaze. He gave a short nod to confirm that he would be there after practice.

“We better hurry or we will be late for Charms.” Lisa commented once she checked the time. The Ravenclaw trio gathered their belongings and headed off to charms.

.................................................

Alec trudged towards the dungeons after Quidditch practice was over. He slowly made his way up to Salazar, the portrait that guarded their rooms. “Aconite,” Alec told the portrait, who promptly opened so he could enter. It was slightly dark when Alec came inside and just before he went to light his wand, the lights came on.

“Surprise!” Was shouted from within the room. Alec looked around and noticed all the birthday decorations along with a cake sitting on the dining room table. He then noticed the headmaster and his transfiguration professor standing off to the side with smiles on their faces. Alec had gotten to know both professors rather well over the summer and was glad to see them outside of classes.

Alec just stood there, too stunned to move until his father put an arm on his shoulder and led him in.

“Happy birthday.” Alec was about to protest that it wasn’t his birthday but he realized that he was a new person and therefore he had a new birthday.

“Wow.” Alec said.

“That was stated rather eloquently.” Severus said with a smirk to his son who looked at him and gave a slight glare before looking back to everything around him.

“Thank you.” Alec whispered but it was loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Well shall we have cake or presents first?” Professor Dumbledore asked cheerily as he sucked on another lemon drop.

“Presents…?” Alec trailed off and belatedly noticed the pile of presents on the side of the table.

“We will be having cake before presents.” Severus stated as he led his son to the chair in front of the cake. Alec sat down and everyone crowded around the cake which was lit with candles. Everyone including Severus, who would never admit it, sang the happy birthday tune. Alec closed his eyes and made a wish before blowing out the candles.

“What did you wish for Alec?” Lisa asked as the cake was being served.

“I can’t tell you or else it wouldn’t come true.” Alec replied with a smile before digging into the cake. “Mm… chocolate, my favorite!” Chuckles rang around the room at Alec’s comment.

Shortly after they finished eating, Lisa handed Alec a small wrapped gift and encouraged him to open it. Severus gave him a reassuring nod when Alec looked his way. Alec tore off the wrapping and pulled out a delicate glass figurine. Alec gasped as he realized he was holding a glass lily.

“I remembered what you said about lilies being your mother’s favorite flowers so I ordered this via owl post. I also charmed it so that it is unbreakable and when you tap your wand on it, it will light up.” When Alec tapped the lily it lit up in a green color and started changing from one color to another.

“Thank you very much.” Alec placed the lily on the table and gave Lisa a small hug. He sat back down and Josh handed him his next present. Alec tore off the blue wrapping paper to reveal a photograph.

“This was from yesterday!” Alec exclaimed as he viewed the Wizarding photo. The photo displayed Alec, Lisa and Josh in the common room trying to do homework. Josh had become bored and tossed a wadded piece of paper at Alec who caught it and chucked it back at him. A mini paper wad fight ensured between the three.

“I asked one of the older students to take a picture of us last night. I had her develop the picture and I created the frame with a little help on the transfiguration part.” Josh explained as he smiled at Professor McGonagall, who was the one to assist in making the frame. The Transfiguration professor had created the wood portion of the frame while Josh added the little decorations and the inscription along the bottom.

“Thank you very much Josh.” Alec said sincerely as he placed the photo on the table next to the glass lily. Professor Dumbledore handed Alec the next present that he brought for the young boy. Alec removed the brightly colored wrapping that only the Headmaster would use. The first thing Alec pulled out was a book on potions ingredients and how they react with each other. The second item was a bag of lemon drops, which caused Severus to let out an uncharacteristic snort.

“Thank you headmaster! This was one of the books that I have wanted to read but all the copies were checked out of the library.” Alec smiled gratefully at the man before popping a lemon drop in his mouth. Alec sucked on the candy and held out the bag for others to indulge if they chose to. Lisa and Josh each took a lemon drop along with the headmaster, of course.

Professor McGonagall handed Alec his next present and watched at the young boy ripped into the package. Obviously Alec enjoyed tearing open the packages since it was probably the first time he received the chance to do so.

“Thank you!” Alec said genuinely as he pulled out the book on transfiguration along with a small assortment of candy. Next Severus came up to Alec and handed him his next gift. It was large and long and Alex became excited with hope of what was most likely inside. Alec wasn’t disappointed because once the wrapping was off, a Nimbus 1900 was displayed.

“Wow.” Alec said in awe of the brand new broom in his hands.

“Eloquent as ever.” Severus once again remarked lightly at Alec’s choice of words. Alec didn’t respond and chose to give his father a hug instead.

“Thank you so much! Am I allowed a broom even though I am a first year?” Alec questioned as he released his father.

“I informed Severus that you would be permitted a broom since you are currently on the Quidditch team.” The headmaster responded to Alec’s question.

“Thank you all so much for the best birthday ever!” Alec said with a large happy smile.

“Well I believe that it is getting late and I will retire for the evening.” The headmaster said as he stood up.

“I believe that I will do the same.” Professor McGonagall stated. Alec walked shyly over to the professors and gave each of them a small hug along with another thank you. Everyone bid the two professors good night as they headed out. Alec pulled Severus away from his friends who were chatting together.

“May I sleep here tonight since it is a Friday?” Severus nodded. “Could Lisa and Josh also sleep over?” Alec asked with bright green hope-filled eyes.

Severus figured that this would be Alec’s first sleepover so he agreed. “That is acceptable as long as you do not stay awake very late.”

“Thank you so much!” Alec gave him another hug before rushing over to his friends to share the news. They agreed to stay over and the three Ravenclaws left to get clothing and such from their dormitories. Severus conjured up two extra beds just as they arrived back.

“Normally I do not condone two young boys sharing a room with a young lady but in this case, I will make an exception.” Severus informed them before wishing the trio good night as he retired to his room for the evening.

“Nice color choice.” Lisa commented upon seeing Alec’s room. “Did you pick the colors after you were sorted or before?” She asked as she examined the blue carpeting and blue-green walls.

“I picked out these colors earlier this summer.” Alec replied as he placed his birthday gifts in his room. The glass lily and the picture both went directly on his nightstand. Josh entered the room after changing into his pajamas and Lisa excused herself to do the same. Once everyone was clad in pajamas, they all curled up onto Alec’s bed since it was the largest.

“Was this why my father held you both after class to discuss?” Alec questioned the other two who nodded guiltily about knowing of the party beforehand.

“Was this really your first birthday party?” Josh couldn’t help but ask.

“Yeah.” Alec paused, as if debating over the matter before continuing, “The relatives that I lived with were not the nicest people. Their son was horribly spoilt while I was forced to do all sorts of chores and the cooking.”

“Did they ever hurt you?” Lisa whispered, not wanting to hear the answer but yet wanting to know at the same time.

The only response was when Alec gave a very small nod. A few tears leaked out of Lisa’s eyes before she moved forward and wrapped her arms around Alec. Lisa pulled back after a minute and composed herself once more.

“Enough of that. How about I tell you both this great scary story?” Both boys nodded. “Okay. There once was this creepy man who…”

...............................................

The following morning found three sleepy Ravenclaws who were woken up by Severus.

“Breakfast will be served in ten minutes,” Was all Severus said before he exited the young boy’s room. Alec groaned as he sat up and rubbed his eyes tiredly.

“Why can’t we sleep in more?” Josh asked equally tired.

“My dad likes to get up at the same time every day, regardless of what day it is. If you want to eat, we have to be out there in ten minutes.” Alec replied as he pulled on some socks. Ten minutes later, the three first years headed out into the dining room area, where a large breakfast was waiting. Severus was already at the table, sipping on a cup of coffee.

“Good morning dad.” Alec said as he and his friends sat down. They began serving themselves and dug into the meal. After breakfast was finished, the three Ravenclaws dressed for the day and received Severus’ permission to test Alec’s new broom on the empty Quidditch pitch.

Alec had a great time flying his new broom and let both of his friends fly on it too. Unfortunately, the Hufflepuff team reserved the pitch later that afternoon so they had to leave. Lisa and Josh went to work on homework and Alec returned to visit with his father.

“Did you have a pleasant time flying?” Severus said after looking up from his book.

Alec nodded energetically. “It was great!”

Severus put down his book and stretched. “Would you like to practice your fencing? We have not sparred for quite some time.”

“Sure. Let me change first.” Severus nodded and went into his room to pull out their fencing equipment. Alec came back clad in a green short-sleeved shirt along with black slacks. Severus tossed a sword at Alec, who caught it with practiced ease. Alec went through a few practice movements before turning and facing his father.

Alec immediately went after his father, who blocked his moves rather easily since he was much more experienced. Alec picked up the pace and kept going after his father with quicker movements before finally nicking the man on the arm. Severus looked at Alec with amusement before going after his son and causing the boy to enter defense mode. Severus ended up nicking Alec on the arm but neither wound was bad so both continued sparring. Alec thought he had an opening to get his father but Severus just knocked Alec’s sword away.

“You are getting better.” Alec beamed at him and Severus smiled back.

“That round lasted longer than the last time we sparred.” Alec commented as he retrieved his sword. When Severus first taught Alec, they used safety swords with enchantments to protect them from being injured. Once Alec was proficient enough, Severus allowed them to use real swords, but with lessening enchantments on them. The charms minimized the damage that the sword could inflict but it still created a slight wound if one was hit.

Severus pulled out his wand and murmured a spell that healed the small cuts on both of their arms. “Have you been practicing your Occlumency?”

Alec nodded as he sat down on the couch. “Would you like to test?” Severus pulled out his wand and attacked his son’s Occlumency barriers, which remained intact.

“Very good.” Severus praised after he tried to break into his son’s mind multiple times.

Alec stood up. “I’ve got a little more homework that I think I will get done before dinner so I am going to meet up with my friends.”

“You did well today.” Severus said as he too stood up.

“Thanks. I’ll see you at dinner. Bye dad!” Alec called out as he headed off to do homework with his friends.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1314