Never Normal by Alexis8907
Summary: 10 year old Harry is kidnapped along with his aunt and cousin after Vernon finds money that belonged to powerful people. Snape eventually steps in to save the day. Severus later adopts Harry though a ritual to make Harry his biological son. Harry just wants to be normal but that isn't possible with escaped convict Sirius Black on the loose! Harry's first year at Hogwarts but with a slight twist to it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 46585 Read: 144437 Published: 02 May 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007
The Cat by Alexis8907

Christmas break came to an end rather quickly to the dismay of the students. Alec spent what remained of his vacation relaxing with his father. He completed his homework early on so that he would not have to worry about it later. Severus permitted Alec to assist him on several potions that were needed for the infirmary since its supplies were low.

Several days after Christmas, Severus worked with Alec on the things that he taught him over the summer. It was difficult for them to squeeze in time when they were both busy during the school week. Now that it was winter break, they had plenty of time to practice. Severus tested Alec's Occlumency barriers and Alec appeared to be doing a good job at keeping them up and withstanding Severus' mental attacks.

Both Snapes practiced sparring against each other several times throughout the duration of the vacation. Alec showed some improvement in the area even though it had been a while since they last practiced together. The manor provided a sufficient amount of space for them to practice in along with the Snape family swords. Severus always charmed the weapons to inflict little damage if either was hit by them. Alec liked sparring and his father did not mind practicing with his son.

Alec immensely enjoyed his vacation especially since he got to spend so much time with his father. Unfortunately the break came to an end. Alec had packed up all his belongings the night before and they were now departing from Snape manor. Severus used a portkey to deposit them near the station, where Alec boarded and Severus apparated away once his son was safely on the train. Alec met up with his friends in a compartment that they had saved for themselves. They talked about their vacations and bought some candy off the cart when it came by. The train ride went rather fast and before they knew it, they arrived at Hogwarts.

They enjoyed a nice meal in the Great Hall before heading to their dorms to sleep. Classes resumed and students got back into their habits of studying and completing their homework. The next Ravenclaw match was coming up against the Hufflepuff team in two weeks time. The team practiced diligently when they arrived back from break and it paid off. Ravenclaw won the match when Alec caught the snitch and the final score was at 220 to 50.

January passed relatively quickly and February was just around the corner. Alec knew his father's birthday was soon approaching. February 2nd was on a Saturday therefore Alec would be able to spend the day with his father without any classes to get to. The only problem now was the present for the man. Alec could not think of anything that his father could use and didn't already own. It was also relatively difficult to get off the school grounds to purchase a gift so it would be tricky to find something suitable.

It was out of luck that Alec found the perfect gift for his father. He was walking around the lake pondering about the coming birthday when he noticed a small dark animal walking on a rock. He moved towards the animal and it spotted him. When the small creature saw his approach, it backed away and slipped from the rock it was perched on and fell into the lake. The animal screeched and flailed its limbs as it made its way back towards the shore. Alec cautiously approached the animal lifted the small being out of the water and set it on the ground. It was a small and now wet, black cat. It shook itself to remove excess water and began grooming itself.

"Hey there kitty," Alec said as he reached down to touch the soaked creature. The cat hissed at him and resumed cleaning itself. Alec pulled out his wand and sent a basic drying charm at the cat. The cat stopped licking its now dry fur and turned towards the boy who sat down on the grass. The feline approached Alec and started purring.

"Where did you come from?" Alec asked as he stroked the dark fur. He received a quiet meow in response. "That doesn't exactly answer my question," Alec muttered. The animal looked to the side and paused before pouncing on something to Alec's right. It slapped down its white paws on a tiny white mouse that was scurrying out of its hiding place. The cat looked like it was about to eat it but Alec lifted the feline's paws and the small mouse escaped. The blue eyes of the cat stared up at him and it let out a growl.

"Don't look at me like that. I wasn't about to watch you eat that mouse. I can get you some real food and milk too." The cat peered at him before purring in agreement. Alec bent to pick up the black feline, but it backed out of reach.

"Come on now. I was just going to pick you up," Alec muttered and reached for the cat again. The creature dodged his hands and strode forward towards the school.

"Alright, alright. I won't carry you. You certainly have an attitude," Alec spoke to the cat, which walked alongside him. Alec led the way to the kitchens, which he learned the location of through the Weasley twins. Once he tickled the pear, the portrait opened and both Alec and the cat went in. The house elves brought the cat some tuna and milk and gave Alec some snacks to munch on.

"I wonder if Dad would like a cat for his birthday..." Alec pondered aloud. "How would I hide you until Saturday?" The answer to this question arrived through the painting he just entered through.

"Good afternoon Alec. How have you been?" The Headmaster asked as he entered the kitchens. The house elves brought him some refreshments and biscuits.

"I've been great, sir." Alec responded.

"Who is your friend over there?" Albus motioned to the cat, which had finished eating and was now once again grooming itself.

"I found him or her, as I'm not sure yet on the gender. It was on a rock near the lake and this is the first I have seen it so I don't think it is someone's pet." Alec replied as he sipped his pumpkin juice.

"I don't believe this is a student's pet, nor one of our staff member's. Are you planning on keeping it?" Albus questioned with twinkling eyes.

"I was thinking about giving it my father on Saturday for his birthday," Alec mentioned.

"That would be an excellent idea. I do not believe that Severus has ever had a cat although he has a certain affinity for them." The Headmaster responded and then bit into a biscuit.

"I'm not sure what to do with the cat until then; Saturday is two days away and I don't want him to see the cat before his birthday."

Albus smiled, "I could shall we say, watch your friend here until then. He may reside in my office until you wish to pick him up."

"He?" Albus nodded. "Thank you so much! That would be perfect. I could pick him up on Saturday morning. What will I do for the cat's needs?"

"I suggest you talk to Professor McGonagall. She will know exactly what a cat will need," Albus replied with his twinkling blue eyes. Alec looked briefly puzzled before it dawned on him. Professor McGonagall was a cat animagus therefore she would be very helpful in determining what he needed for the cat.

"Thank you very much professor! I think I will go to her now to see if she has time to help me. I'll be by Saturday morning," Alec stood to leave. Before heading out the portrait he gave the scrawny cat a quick pet and then he left.

.......................................................

Professor McGonagall was extremely helpful once she got over being amused with the whole situation. She assisted Alec in transfiguring several cat toys along with the litter box. She placed a spell on the box that would automatically clean itself once it was used. The professor also showed him how to make food and water dishes and once the feline had a name, Alec would be able to etch it on the bowls. The Transfiguration professor demonstrated how Alec could inscribe the name on the dish as a finishing personal touch. Alec stored all the items in his trunk and planned to wrap them Friday after classes.

............................................................

On Friday night, Alec slept in his bed in the quarters that he and his father shared. Early on Saturday morning, Alec crept out of his room and made his way to the Headmaster's office. He arrived at the entrance but had to pause to think about the password. The young Ravenclaw knew the password was based off some type of candy but it was a matter of guessing the right one.

"Um... Lemon Drops?" Nope. "Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans?" Didn't work either. "Chocolate Frogs?" No again. "Blood Pops?" That worked and the staircase was revealed. Alec ascended the stairs and politely knocked on the door. He heard the Headmaster reply with a quiet enter and Alec opened the door. The older man was sitting at his desk busy with filling out some paperwork for something or another.

"Good morning, sir," Alec greeted.

"Alec. Take a seat. Would you like a lemon drop?" Albus offered. Alec smiled and popped one of the candies in his mouth.

"I hope the cat hasn't destroyed anything in your office," Alec said as he looked around briefly to make sure nothing appeared ruined.

"Everything went fine. I took the liberty of owling the owner of a pet store in Hogsmeade to inquire about any missing felines. It appears that this particular cat was rather insistent on getting outside despite the owner forcing it back inside several times. He was rather pleased to learn that someone wanted this cat and said there was no charge."

"Wow. That was nice of him," Alec commented. "I am sure you are busy and I'd like to get back before dad is awake. Although chances are he will already be up and getting ready. Thank you again for watching the kitten."

"It was not a problem. He's a friendly cat most of the time and appears to have a bit of a temper when he doesn't get what he wants." Albus' blue eyes twinkled with amusement. "It almost reminds me of someone we both know..." He added.

Alec laughed. "Then they will be a perfect match for each other. Thank you again." Alec said as he stood. He walked over to the black cat, which was sleeping on a chair, and picked it up. The feline didn't jump out of Alec's arms yet made a displeased sound as he allowed the boy to carry him to their new rooms.

Alec arrived just as he heard the shower shutting off. He quickly placed the animal in his room and asked it to stay quiet, hoping that it understood. Alec returned to the sitting room and sat down on the couch, waiting for his father to come out. Severus entered the room and looked over at Alec suspiciously.

"What are you doing up this early on a Saturday?" The potions master asked. "As far as I know, you don't have Quidditch practice today."

"I just had something to take care of this morning. That's all." Before the young boy could be questioned further, the portrait on the door opened and Albus appeared with the Head of Gryffindor in tow.

Severus scowled at them. "It is too early to have my quarters invaded by a Gryffindor and an energetic Headmaster."

Albus laughed. "Someone hasn't had their coffee yet." The potions master sneered.

"We are here for the party."

"What party?" He asked flatly.

"Your party of course. It is your birthday today, is it not?" Severus chose not to comment and headed off instead to get some coffee. Fifteen minutes later and with the aid of several cups of coffee, Severus was more awake. Albus handed over a gift certificate to the local Apothecary along with another small bag of lemon drops. The Headmaster was addicted to those things and determined to spread them around as much as possible!

Minerva gave Severus a set of 8 self-inking quills with red ink that could be used for grading. She even threw in a small bag of cat treats, although the potions master thought it was meant as a joke in reference to his animagus form.

Alec retreated to his room and before coming out, he instructed his father to close his eyes. Severus grudgingly complied and waited as Alec neared him. The man was rather shocked to see his son holding a black cat in front of him. It appeared to have had a blue bow around the neck but the cat hadn't liked it, therefore tore it up.

Alec handed the cat to his father and watched as the two stared at each other for a moment. The feline accepted his new master and began purring. Severus removed the torn up bow and the cat licked his hand approvingly.

"Do you like it?" Alec asked hesitantly.

"Yes. Thank you very much," Severus gave his son a smile.

Alec's face lit up with pleasure. "Let me get your other gift." Alec went back to his room and pulled out a box decorated in green wrapping paper. The feline jumped down and went to explore the rooms while the last gift was opened. The last present contained all the items that were necessary for the cat, including the litter box, food bowls, and other various accessories.

"I made them myself! Professor McGonagall showed me how to make the toys and added a charm to keep the litter box clean. Do you have any names in mind? I was going to etch the name on the bowls once you decide on one." Alec said.

"I do not have any names in mind at this time. This is very nice transfiguration work," Severus added as he looked over the cat toys. There were several stuffed mice in different colors and each had details such as eyes, whiskers, and tails. The detail in the transfiguration work was not bad for a first year.

"I'm afraid we have work to attend to, therefore we will leave you two with your new cat. Happy Birthday Severus," The Headmaster said as he exited.

Minerva paused before exiting, "I'm sure both you and your cat will enjoy those treats."

Severus scowled lightly and replied, "I've tried them before and they are rather good..." Alec looked at him with wide eyes before laughing. Minerva stood shocked for a moment, after all, it wasn't everyday that this particular colleague of hers joked. She left the room lightly chuckling to herself.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1314