Never Normal by Alexis8907
Summary: 10 year old Harry is kidnapped along with his aunt and cousin after Vernon finds money that belonged to powerful people. Snape eventually steps in to save the day. Severus later adopts Harry though a ritual to make Harry his biological son. Harry just wants to be normal but that isn't possible with escaped convict Sirius Black on the loose! Harry's first year at Hogwarts but with a slight twist to it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 46585 Read: 144442 Published: 02 May 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007
Rescued! by Alexis8907

After Severus left, the Dursleys were left standing around. Vernon believed that he came down to check out a disturbance after Snape obliviated the family so when he saw Harry standing there, he assumed the disturbance was caused by him.

Vernon glared hatefully at the ten-year-old, who cringed away from his gaze. Vernon turned to Petunia and Dudley, “Why don’t you both go back to bed.” They both went upstairs and Harry was left standing in the kitchen with a slowly purpling and enraged uncle.

“So boy, what have you been doing out there? Why are you even out of your cupboard?” Vernon asked as he descended on his defenseless nephew.

“I-I wasn’t doing anything.” Harry stuttered out fearfully. Nothing he could have said would have convinced his uncle that he wasn’t doing anything.

Vernon smacked Harry. “You are out of your cupboard.” Another smack. “You were up to something.” Vernon shoved Harry to the ground “You tried to lie to ME by saying that you didn’t do anything!” A kick to the stomach. “And simply because you exist!” Another kick, which resulted in Harry hitting an end table with a vase that promptly fell on top of the boy. It broke into many pieces, most of which became imbedded into Harry’s scalp.

“NOW LOOK WHAT YOU DID!” Vernon bellowed. He gave Harry another kick to the stomach. Harry curled up in attempt to protect his vital organs. Vernon kicked him hard in his right wrist and a crack was heard. Harry sucked in a deep breath in attempt to hold back a scream at the pain he now felt, if he screamed that would most likely enrage his uncle further. Vernon seemed satisfied with the damage he inflicted on Harry and he practically tossed the young boy into the cupboard under the stairs. Harry hit his head on the way in and lost consciousness.

.............................

Harry woke up slowly to a pain-filled world. He tried to shift to a more comfortable position but it only caused him more suffering. Harry stifled a quiet whimper that could attract his uncle’s attention. It was hard to tell what time it was therefore Harry couldn’t determine how long he stayed there in the cupboard. He drifted in and out of sleep throughout the day and was he just about to drift off again when he heard knocking at the front door.

.............................

Severus woke up the next morning and went about his usual routine. He checked that the room was properly suited for the ten-year-old who would soon be occupying it. It was pretty plain but Harry would have the option to decorate it however he pleased once he got all settled in. Once everything was prepared, Severus trekked to the edge of the Hogwarts wards and apparated to an alley near Privet Drive. He once again transfigured his clothes into appropriate muggle attire and walked up to number four. Severus proceeded to knock politely on the door and thundering footsteps were heard just before Dudley answered.

“What do you want?” Dudley asked rudely.

Severus sneered at him and replied, “I am here to collect Mr. Potter.”

Dudley paled a bit then turned around and bellowed, “DAD! Some weird guy is here to see the freak!” Dudley scampered behind his father when Vernon came charging to the door.

“Why do you want the boy?” Vernon asked as he studied the man before him. The stranger looked slightly familiar but yet he couldn’t remember anything.

“I am coming to take Mr. Potter away from here. He will be living with me until he starts his schooling.” Severus replied to the man.

“He’s not here.” Vernon said adamantly and began to close the door. Severus stuck his foot in the doorway to prevent it from closing. The wizard pulled out his wand and entered the house. Vernon backed away in fear once he saw the wand and let Snape enter.

Snape was about to head upstairs to search the bedrooms when he heard a slight whimper. He turned around and searched for the person who made the sound. There was no one behind him since the Dursleys scampered away. The sound of a car starting was heard, followed by a screeching take off. Severus then noticed a small door that had a lock on it. It was unusual to see a small cupboard under the stairs to be locked. With a sinking feeling in his stomach, Severus unlocked the cupboard. The door slowly opened and inside lay an injured raven-haired boy. It was obvious now as to why the Dursleys fled.

Severus reached a hand inside in an attempt to pull Harry out but as soon as the boy felt the hand, he flinched away and began mumbling.

“No Uncle…Please…I’m sorry…I didn’t do anything…No…” Harry incoherently mumbled out in a trembling voice.

“Mr. Potter…” Severus began but dropped the formalities. “Harry. Look at me. I am not your uncle.” Harry slowly opened his pain-filled eyes and gazed into the onyx ones staring down at him, recognition dawned on his face.

“Can you tell me where it hurts the most?” Severus asked in a soft voice.

“My arm and my stomach.” Harry said shortly. He was still having slight difficulty catching his breath.

“Can you drink this?” Severus asked as kindly as he could since he was not normally a kind person at all. Harry drank the potion that Severus had pulled out of his robes and fell into a deep slumber. Severus then picked up the young boy and apparated in front of Hogwarts wards. He trekked up to the infirmary as fast as he could while carrying Harry.

“Poppy!” Severus shouted when he entered the infirmary. He set Harry on one of the beds just as the nurse came rushing in.

“Oh my goodness.” Was all she said before getting straight to work on diagnosing and healing Harry. She shoved a few potions down his throat before casting several healing spells. Poppy also removed all his hair since there was so much glass that was embedded in his scalp. She spread some cream over the cuts on his head and was finished for the time being.

She turned to Severus, who remained in the room while she treated Harry. “His wrist was broken, one rib was cracked and a few others were bruised badly, he had numerous cuts in his scalp, along with bruises from prior injuries. I have healed everything but some of the bruises will require cream to be massaged onto them to help them disappear faster. His wrist will be sore for another day or two along with his ribs. Make sure he gets plenty of rest and that he hardly does anything for the next two days.” Severus nodded his head in agreement. “Since I plan to leave for vacation, could you move him to your quarters?” Poppy questioned.

“That would be agreeable.” Severus gathered Harry in his arms and carried him through the hallways and to the entrance of the dungeons where his room was located. He placed Harry on the bed and tucked him in before heading out to work on a potion.

.............................

Harry woke slowly and found that everything felt relatively good instead of the pain that he had been expecting. He studied the unfamiliar surroundings. It definitely was not the Dursley house since the walls were made of stone and it was not the same room that he stayed in when he was kidnapped. Severus chose that moment to enter the room. Seeing Severus’ face brought back the memories from the night before.

“Thank you, sir.” Harry said respectfully. “For taking me away from them. And healing me.” He added at the last minute. Severus just nodded his head in acceptance for the unnecessary apology.

“How are you feeling?” Severus asked as he pulled out some cream.

“I’m fine, sir.” Harry said even though he was slightly sore, but then again this was nothing compared to what he had felt before.

“Through this door, there is a bathroom that you can use. I will have out some clothes that you can wear instead of these rags. After you clean up, apply this cream to your bruises.” Severus handed him the cream and proceeded to transfigure some clothes for Harry. They would have a chance to shop for clothing soon, but not today.

“Yes sir.” Harry hesitated to ask a question, since that was always forbidden at the Dursley house, but asked anyway. “Could you tell me your name sir?”

Snape almost looked shocked for a moment but he quickly covered up any form of emotions. Throughout the entire events of the last day, he had not once mentioned his name. Oops. “My name is Severus Snape.” He paused for a minute, and then sighed exasperatedly. “You may call me Severus.” He said with some difficulty, since not many had the privilege to call him by his first name.

“Thank you sir.” Harry said after Severus answered his question.

“You do not need to thank me for every little thing. Go take a warm bath and do not forget to apply the cream to your bruises.” Severus instructed the young boy, who did as he was told and entered the bathroom for his first warm bath, since all baths at the  Dursleys were cold.

Harry turned on the water and added some bubbles to it. He undressed then stepped into the warm and bubbly tub. He relaxed in the tub for a while before scrubbing himself clean. Approximately 30 minutes after Harry entered the bathroom, he reappeared in his room clean with a much nicer set of clothes on. His clothes may have been transfigured, but they would be fine until they went shopping and at least they fit. Harry was slightly tired after the bath and he decided that a little nap wouldn’t hurt. He got comfortable on the bed and promptly fell asleep.

.............................

While Harry was taking his bath, Albus entered Severus’ quarters to discuss important matters that involved Harry.

“Severus. How is young Mr. Potter doing today?” Albus had that dammed twinkle in his eyes again, which only meant trouble.

“Potter is currently taking a bath. What is it you came here to ask?” Severus, impatient as usual, wanted to get right down to the point.

Albus’ eyes twinkled even more than before. “I have another favor to ask of you…”

“Why do I have the feeling that you are about to ask me to keep the boy for the summer?” Severus guessed out loud.

“Are you related to Sybil? Perhaps you have some seer blood in you?” Albus trailed off.

“I am not in the mood for jokes right now Albus. There is NO way I could possibly be related to that woman.” Severus spat out. The mere thought of being related to the old bat was sickening for him. “Yes I suppose I can care for the boy. I dislike children greatly but knowing you, you will not accept no as my answer.” Those damn eyes twinkled brighter. Severus stood up, tired of this conversation, “I have work to do. Good day headmaster.” Severus’ robes billowed once again behind him as he took off towards his labs. Albus left the room, joyously sucking on a lemon drop as he went back to his office.

.............................

Harry woke up from his nap when he felt his shoulder being shook. He completely forgot where he was and began trembling. “No…I’m sorry...” Harry mumbled curling into a fetal position.

“Potter,” Severus began, but that was no way to deal with a frightened child. “Harry. Relax, you are at Hogwarts. I took you away from your relatives.” Harry began to calm down and process the fact that he was not at his relative’s house. Harry felt a hand rubbing circles on his back. That was something that no one had ever done before and he began relaxing. Harry uncurled from his fetal position and looked up to the dark-haired man, who promptly removed his hand from Harry’s back. Harry was saddened by the loss of contact but ignored that feeling since the man did not even look comfortable being here.

“I’m sorry.” Harry said simply.

“It was my fault that I startled you. I came here to tell you that it is time for dinner.” Harry nodded then stretched real cat-like before getting up and following Severus. Severus led Harry to the dining room area of their rooms and a house elf served them. “Drink this before eating.” At Harry’s curious look, he explained briefly what the potion was for. “It is a potion that will help you keep food down. You are malnourished and need to eat more. This will insure that you can keep you it.” Drinking the potion down, Harry grimaced and quickly ate some food to get rid of the lingering taste.

Severus led Harry on a short tour of the rooms after they finished eating dinner. “This is a small kitchen area that will have some food stocked. Our meals are delivered by the house elves, but you are welcome to get food from here if you would like a snack.” Severus pointed to a hallway that was in the opposite direction as Harry’s room, “That leads to my bedroom and my private bathroom. You will knock first and then you may enter if I grant permission.”

Severus led Harry into the living room, which was decked out in various shades of green. “This is the living room. You may read any of the books on these bookshelves. You may not read any of the books that are found on the shelves in my bedroom. Those books are dangerous and I will be very displeased if you touch them.” There was not much else to see so Severus led Harry back to his room.

“Would you like to decorate your room?” Severus asked Harry, whose eyes lit up at the idea of decorating his very own room. The boy nodded shyly.

“We can start with the walls. What color would you like then?” Severus asked as he pulled out his wand.

“Could it be a bluish-green color?” Harry asked excitedly. Severus did not respond, but a mumbled spell later and the stone walls were painted a nice blue-green color. “It’s perfect!” Harry exclaimed as he looked around in wonder.

“What color would you like the carpet to be?” Severus icy heart was slightly warmed by seeing the looks of pure joy on this child’s face for just decorating the room.

“Could you make it a really dark blue color?” Severus complied and the carpet was now a dark blue color. They may live in the dungeons, but there was no way that Severus would allow Harry to get sick by walking around on cold cement floors. Severus never minded being bare but with his new charge, it would be best to put carpet in all rooms.

There was nothing else to change around the room. The bed had green sheets and blankets on it, courtesy of the house elves. The room seemed to match nicely and to Severus’ relief, he was not requested to make it in Gryffindor colors. Harry was beaming with happiness as he surveyed his new room. For him, this was the start to a great summer.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1314