Never Normal by Alexis8907
Summary: 10 year old Harry is kidnapped along with his aunt and cousin after Vernon finds money that belonged to powerful people. Snape eventually steps in to save the day. Severus later adopts Harry though a ritual to make Harry his biological son. Harry just wants to be normal but that isn't possible with escaped convict Sirius Black on the loose! Harry's first year at Hogwarts but with a slight twist to it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Kidnapped, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 46585 Read: 144437 Published: 02 May 2007 Updated: 08 Sep 2007
Billowing Cloaks by Alexis8907

Throughout the next day, Severus prepared the potion for the adoption. He sliced and diced various ingredients before finally reaching the last step in which he would need to add his known blood along with Harry’s. This would enable Harry to add some of Severus’ features.

“Harry, the potion will be complete as soon as we add our blood. After we do so, you will need to drink it and the changes will begin immediately. It will not be painful but there will be some discomfort.” Severus informed Harry as he completed the second to last step in the brewing.

Harry wordlessly took a knife and made a small incision just as Severus did and let three drops of blood fall into the potion. Severus mumbled a quick healing spell that fixed the small wounds on both their hands and then poured the potion into a glass, which he swiftly handed to Harry.

“Bottoms up...” Harry muttered before swallowing the foul smelling mixture. Nothing happened for a moment but then Harry sank to his knees and dropped the glass on the ground.

“Harry?” Severus lowered himself to the ground and held the small boy as his body underwent changes. “Does it hurt much?” Harry just shook his head negatively and held onto Severus. After approximately five minutes, the changes were complete. Harry shakily made it to his feet before heading to the nearest mirror to see his new image.

Staring in the mirror, Harry noted the various changes his body went through. There were some hefty differences such as his facial structure, which now looked a lot more like Severus’ face. It was once rounded and young-looking but now it was angled like Severus’ and made him look slightly older. His eyes were the same, except they seemed to be a slightly darker shade of green now. There were a few minuscule changes such as his hair becoming slightly longer and straighter, which meant it no longer looked like the typical messy Potter mop. Luckily for him, he gained almost two inches in height, which would help strengthen his role to play an eleven year old. He could tell that he had his mother’s nose and lips after looking at the photographs that Severus had. Harry examined his fingers, which had lengthened and become narrower, more like Severus’ fingers were.

“You are the perfect blend of all three of us.” Severus commented from the side of Harry.

“I really like it.” Harry said simply and smiled at the man who officially adopted him. Harry went over to Severus and gave him a hug. Harry did not go out of his way to touch anyone unless it was Severus. As a young child, he associated the touch with painful experiences but with Severus, he learned that it could be not painful and it made Harry feel wonderful to finally get some affection after being deprived of it since his parents died.

“We will have to do something to that scar that you are well known for.” Severus pulled out his wand and cast a few spells in attempt to hide the scar but all failed. “Hmm…” Severus mumbled uncharacteristically. Severus summoned a tube that contained a numbing substance and applied it to the area around the scar. As he did this, he explained what he was going to do in order to disguise the scar.

“Since this scar is unique compared to others, I do not believe that it can be covered with a glamour. What I will be doing instead is adding additional scars to that area. Essentially, the initial scar will be hidden amongst the others. It’s more effective in the event that a glamour charm failed where you would not be able to reapply it. I am applying this numbing cream so that it will not cause you any pain when I add extra scars to your forehead.” Severus explained before he swished his wand around and muttered spells that would have hurt if the numbing agent was not applied.

“Wow. I can barely see the original scar.” Harry said as he examined his forehead in the mirror. There were a handful of tiny scars going around and through the famous bolt of lightning. Unless it was examined very closely, no one should know the difference. “What should I say if someone asks me where I got the scars?”

“You could say it was a potions accident in which a glass vial exploded and the pieces managed to hit your face. The potion prevented the scars from healing therefore you received this small collection of them as a reminder to be safer around potions.” Severus replied.

“Okay,” Harry replied. “That would make sense since I am the son of a potions master. Oh-- What is my new name supposed to be?” Harry asked curiously.

“My grandfather’s name was Alexander but that name is too common. I have decided on a variation of this name. You would go by Alec Narciso Snape. Narciso is Latin for lily and I thought you might like a reminder of your mother. Does that name sound alright to you?”

“I like it. It will take a little getting used to but I like it.” Harry said earnestly.

“Good. I have some lesson plans to make. If you need me, I will be in my office.” With that Severus exited with his robes billowing behind him like usual. Alec studied the exit Severus made and smirked before heading towards his room to practice.

..........................................

Later that evening, Severus came into his room and informed him that the Headmaster wished for everyone to have dinner in the Great Hall that night. Most of the teachers were back from vacations and visiting family so Albus decided that they should all have dinner together. Alec was feeling mischievous and decided to have some fun.

The boy dressed in all black for that evening. He chose one of his nice black robes with a blue outline and headed into the living room to leave with Severus. Severus merely raised an eyebrow at Alec’s attire and chose not to comment. Alec just gave him a small mischievous smile and they walked down to the Great Hall in silence.

When they arrived, the doors were closed. Albus probably did that on purpose so that the moment the doors opened, everyone would look their way. Severus scowled and pushed open the doors and Alec trailed behind him. As expected, almost everyone turned to see who just entered and saw Severus with his usual scowl in place. They were about to turn back to their chatting when they noticed the young boy trailing behind him. At first, most teachers thought it was a student that had somehow arrived early but then they saw the resemblance between the two. Minerva’s expression was the most priceless of all. Her jaw dropped and she stared at the young boy which was very uncharacteristic of her. Severus smirked at her and she promptly closed her mouth.

“Good evening Severus, Alec.” Headmaster Albus Dumbledore said as they approached the table. There was another chair next to the one that Severus usually claimed. Alec assumed it was his and sat down as his father did.

“Evening Headmaster.” Severus said slightly amused over the whole incident.

“Good evening Professors.” Alec said politely as he began placing food on his empty plate.

“Severus… Is this your son?” Minerva asked and as soon as the words left her mouth, the other teachers quieted down to hear his response.

Severus smirked again and replied. “Yes. Did you think me incapable of producing a child with a woman?”

“No! That was not what I was implying.” Minerva was slightly flustered and decided that returning to her meal would be the safe way out of the conversation. The rest of the table continued to chat about various topics and soon dinner was nearing an end. Alec had rushed through his meal a little so that he would be one of the first finished eating.

“May I be excused?” Alec asked Severus.

“Will you be heading back to our rooms?” Severus asked.

“I wanted to visit the library to pick up a book first, if that is okay.” Alec replied as he wiped his face clean with the napkin.

Severus nodded his head in agreement. “Do not be gone for more than thirty minutes.”

“Okay. Thank you.” Alex said as he stood up and walked towards the door. Since he back was to the teachers, they could not see the smirk that was plastered all over his face. The doors had been left open, which worked in his favor. As he was exiting, he managed to get his cloak to billow perfectly behind him when he turned the corner. Silence reined though the hall but was broken with a slight chuckling from the headmaster.

“Well, Alec is certainly your son Severus.” Albus smiled and popped a lemon drop in his mouth. “Good night everyone,” With that said, Albus strolled out of the hall and up to his office. A few others had also chuckled at the sight of a miniature Snape exiting the Great Hall. Slowly the teachers went about their business and left the hall. As Severus was leaving, Minerva came up to him.

“Did you teach him that trick Severus?” She commented jokingly.

“No.” He scowled at her and left in a similar fashion as Alec had done. He returned to his rooms and read for about twenty minutes when the boy entered their chambers.

“Interesting exit you made.” Severus commented with amusement.

“Why? What did I do?” Alec said innocently. Severus gave a slight chuckle because Alec was rather good at looking innocent.

“We will be going to Diagon Alley tomorrow to get your school supplies so make sure not to stay up too late. Be ready by nine thirty.” Severus instructed his young charge.

“Okay. I am going to read now and then I will go to bed. Good night dad.” Alec responded without thinking. Neither said anything for a moment and Alec took it as a bad sign. “Sorry! I shouldn’t have said that. I-I wasn’t thinking,” he stuttered out, thinking that he had messed up their newly created relationship.

“It’s okay Alec. You just caught me by surprise. I don’t mind you calling me dad or father.” Severus said genuinely as he stood up and gave Alec a hug. “It might be considered peculiar for you to call me Severus, rather than father, around others anyway.”

Alec nodded his head and wiped away the few tears that escaped. He headed off to his room to read before going to sleep.

............................................

The next morning found Severus and Alec walking to Hogsmeade, where they could use the fireplace to floo to Diagon Alley. Severus decided to let Alec go first. Alec had used the floo before but was never really good at it.

“Diagon Alley!” Alec attempted to say but he started to cough part way through and mispronounced the destination. He ended up falling onto the floor in a dusty old and creepy building. Alec cautiously stood up and was heading towards the door when a hand was placed on his shoulder. He automatically flinched and pulled away from the touch. The owner of the hand was a tall pale man with long blond hair.

“What are you doing here boy?” The man asked harshly. The shop owner was standing shortly behind this man.

“I-I g-got lost.” Alec muttered out frightened. He always seemed to end up stuttering when he was scared.

“You look familiar…” The blond drawled out as he studied the young boy who was practically cowering in front of him. The man was about continue speaking when someone else came out of the floo. Alec slipped around duo and ran to the man who stepped out of the fireplace.

.................................................

“Shit,” Severus cursed when he heard Alec mispronounce the destination. He went ahead and flooed to Diagon Alley in the event that Alec managed to end up there. Not finding the boy in the Leaky Cauldron, he decided to floo to the nearest alley, which happened to be Knockturn Alley. He flooded over and caught sight of Alec just before the ten-year-old was already in his arms.

“Are you alright?” Severus asked his son, who was slightly trembling in his arms. Alec just nodded slightly and held on tightly. Severus then turned his attention to the men who were watching the scene with slight interest.

“Lucius, Mr. Borgin. My apologies for the interruption.” Severus said simply.

“Severus, who is this child?” Lucius asked, obviously interested in the young boy who was clinging to Severus.

“This is my son Alec.” Severus replied. “We can discuss this later if you don’t mind. We need to get his school supplies.” Severus led Alec through the front door and into the Knockturn Alley. They walked in silence as Severus led Alec to a private room inside the Leaky Cauldron.

“Are you okay now, Alec?” Severus asked concerned for the young boy who was still slightly trembling. Alec nodded his head and wiped away a few stray tears. Would you like a calming draught before we get your supplies?” Alec once again only nodded. Severus pulled a calming draught from the little pouch that he always used to carry potions in. Alec drank the potion and began to relax.

“What happened?” Severus questioned the slowly calming boy.

“I coughed when I was saying Diagon Alley and ended up there. I was about to leave when the blond-haired man grabbed me by my shoulder. I-I just kind of freaked. I pulled away from him and he asked me why I was there and I told him I was lost. Then you came.” Alec recounted, now much calmer after the potion took full effect.

“That blond-haired man was a friend of mine. His name is Lucius Malfoy. His son will not be attending Hogwarts until next year. Let’s get your supplies.” They left the room and headed through the Leaky Cauldron and into the yard where Severus tapped the appropriate bricks and the alley opened. Alec was in awe of all the neat little shops that they passed along the way. Severus led Alec to Ollivander’s to make their first stop. They entered the store and Ollivander came out from the shadows to greet them. For a moment, he just studied them.

Ollivander welcomed his customers and the tape measure began to twist around Alec before Ollivander stopped it. Alec had tried at least five wands before finding the one that suited him. This wand was apparently the brother to Voldemort’s wand, and when Ollivander said this, he stared directly at the section of scars on Alec’s head. Severus paid for the wand and they both left and continued over to the robe shop, where Severus ordered some plain school robes. They gathered the clothes when they were finished and headed over to their next stop, the trunk shop.

Severus decided that Alec needed a good sturdy trunk and they ended up buying an oak one that had three compartments along with his initials ANS inscribed on the top. One compartment was specifically for books furnished with automatically alphabetizing shelves. The second compartment was designed to hold clothes and shoes. The third, and last, compartment was for what ever else that was going to be in the trunk. Severus had the storeowner add an additional secret compartment in order for Alec to have a safe place to hide small items that were of important value to him.

Their next and final destination was the bookstore. Alec went to gather his schoolbooks while Severus checked to see if any new potions books came in. Alec had a small stack of books in his hand when turned around and accidentally ran into someone. He looked up to see the person he ran into and stared up at a familiar blond man…

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1314