Emotional Commotion by rosworms
Summary: James Potter did something unforgiveable and nobody knew about it... until now. What will the knowledge of this sin do to Severus and his perfectly (until now) isolated life?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use, Self-harm
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 30453 Read: 60545 Published: 04 May 2007 Updated: 24 Aug 2007
Matthew 6:31-33 by rosworms
Author's Notes:
Matthew 6:31-33...So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

“So… without the unicorn tears, the potion would induce nightmares?”

It was the next day and Harry and Severus were both in the lab, leaning over a small cauldron. Harry had finished his potions homework with help and found that when he wasn’t worrying about being berated by his professor or filibuster fireworks being tossed in his cauldron, potions could actually be interesting. With this new enthusiasm, Harry had so many more questions just out of curiosity and it lead to them brewing a Dreamless Sleep potion together

“Exactly, but if you add too many, it could put someone into a coma.” Severus nodded his approval. Harry chewed his lip in a moment of thought before he spoke up again.

“Oh! Because they can relax your body too much, right? Hmm… that’s not a very comforting thing to know. One unsteady hand or startle and you could be in deep trouble.”

“That is why the teaching or selling of potions requires a mastery,” Severus commented with some amusement.

“I guess I never thought about it… you are a Potions Master, but I’ve never heard any of the other professors referred to as masters. McGonagall not a transfigurations master, Flitwick’s not a charms master, and Hagrid’s not a… er… beast master.” Harry’s last example died with a snort from Severus as he stifled a chuckle.

Harry shook his head to end that line of conversation and took the small cauldron off the flame and bottled the potion for inspection. Severus held it up to the light and swirled it around, watching for any visual imperfections.

“Well done, Harry. This looks to be a good potion. If it tests well, I shall put it in storage for future use.”

“I-well… it is? A good potion, I mean.”

“Yes, it looks to be. I must admit I’m surprised as well as you are, but I’m assuming a location and attitude change may have had something to do with your abilities. After all, I doubt Granger brewed a Polyjuice all on her own in second year. She must have had her friends,” Severus commented lightly, his face carefully devoid of any telling expression.

“Oh… you know about that?”

“Credit me with some brains, child. I was the one whom Madame Pomphrey called to help with her… feline problem.” Severus now smiled. “I did have to take a sample of the potion from Granger’s cup. That potion was also well done.”

“Thanks,” Harry mumbled, rubbing his hand over the back of his neck in embarrassment. It was then that his stomach gave a low gurgle, making Harry’s face flame up even more.

“Hmm… apparently it’s time for lunch.” Severus observed.

“Apparently,” Harry echoed.

----

Lunch was a simple affair, chicken caesar salad made with leftover chicken from the night before. Harry never would have thought of Snape as the type of person to save food and use leftovers, but one thing he’d learned since he arrived was that the man was very muggle-ish when it came to food. It was comforting for Harry, as he had originally assumed that everything would be so formal and stiff like he’d always thought his professor to be.

Harry cleaned the kitchen afterwards and then finished his chores after Severus announced that the trip to Diagon Alley would follow the finished chores.

“But I haven’t even gotten my letter yet. I don’t know what books I’ll need,” Harry half-heartedly protested, shrugging his large shirt back into place as it slipped off of his shoulder.

“Then it’s fortunate that you are with a member of the teaching staff. I know all that you will need, even for your Defense class.” Severus pursed his mouth slightly when he took in Harry’s clothes. “Madame Malkin’s first, I would say. You do know how to use a floo, correct?”

“Yes. Can’t say I’m too fond of it though. Don’t wizards have any normal sort of transportation?”

“That would depend on your definition of normal. If you had been reared here in the wizarding world, I assure you that you would find nothing odd with the floo or a portkey. Come now… we’ll floo together.” Severus grabbed Harry’s arm and pulled him into the fireplace. “Wouldn’t want you to end up in Knockturn Alley.”

Harry jerked his head to the man in surprise and was about to utter a protest but found himself engulfed in roaring green flame before he could open his mouth. He fell out of the fireplace on the other side in a less than graceful heap. A hand on his shoulder made him tense, but he relaxed himself and grabbed the professor’s helping hand.

“Come now. I’d tell you to clean yourself off, but since you will be rid of those rags soon…” Severus let the sentence hang as Harry attempted to shake off the excess soot and floo powder anyway.

As they walked through The Leaky Cauldron, they ignored the stares of the many patrons, but Severus noticed that Harry was self-consciously trying to smooth his fringe over his scar to hide it. He silently berated himself fore ever having called the child conceited and attention seeking.

“They already know who you are. There’s no sense in trying to hide.” Severus softly attempted to comfort Harry and received a quick glare for his troubles. They were silent until they reached the robe shop and then Severus commanded the attention of the employees who pasted fake smiles on their faces when they saw him.

“This young man needs a whole new wardrobe. He’s lived in the muggle world so he’ll probably be more comfortable with some muggle clothing.” Severus glanced at Harry and saw a relieved smile at that specific. “Four pairs of trousers, five short sleeved shirts, two long sleeved shirts. He will also need proper wizarding attire. Two lightweight summer robes, three all-weather robes, two winter robes, and one cloak. Hmm…” Severus stared at Harry a moment more before adding, “Also he’ll need a pair of dress shoes, one pair of casual shoes, one pair of trainers, several pairs of white and black songs, and undergarments.”

Then Harry was whisked away and measured for his new clothes He was asked several questions about colors and cuts (which he had no clue about) and then there were many different people handing him outfit after outfit to try on. It was very frustrating for the boy who’d never really gone clothes shopping before.

Finally Harry had picked out all his muggle style clothes, including one to wear out of the store, and he was brought back out to the front of the store where Snape was sitting in a chair, waiting.

“While you were trying on your outfits, I asked them to pick out the robes to match what you decided to keep. They are self-fitting and adjustable so you don’t need to try them on,” he explained to Harry.

Snape motioned for Harry to follow him as he made to leave the store, but Harry stopped.

“But what about the stuff? Don’t I… we need to pay for-?”

“I already filled out a bank draft while you were busy and your clothes will be delivered.”

“I didn’t know you could do that,” Harry said.

“Do you just carry around a bag of galleons when you shop? Not very safe to show how much money you have” Snape chided. Harry just shrugged. It wasn’t like anyone had ever explained this stuff to him before.

“Do muggles carry bags of money with them regularly? Do they not have a way to be discreet about their finances?”

Harry narrowed his eyes at the man as he walked with him. He looked for any sign of sarcasm but decided that he was actually just curious.

“Coins aren’t worth as much for muggles. The biggest amounts are in paper money… it’s easier to carry. And if they don’t want to carry cash, they can use credit cards or checking accounts.”

“Credit cards? Checking accounts?”

“Uh… credit cards… they are these plastic cards that you can use to pay for things. It’s basically like borrowing money. With checks, you already have the money in the bank and you write out how much to take out,” Harry tried to explain.

“Like a bank draft then. How do they exchange information… do they actually have to wait for the mail before completing a purchase?”

“No… it goes through computers. I don’t know how they work though, so don’t ask.”

“Fascinating.”

The rest of the shopping trip wasn’t very exciting. They picked up Harry’s school supplies and a few potions ingredients then they ate dinner at The Three Broomsticks before heading home at a much later hour than planned.

Harry was exhausted when he stepped out of the floo and into the living room and his head had begun to pound toward the end of the trip.

“I think I’ll head up to bed a little early. Thank you for… you know, for everything.”

“You are welcome. The trip was enjoyable for me. Goodnight.”

Harry then ducked his head to hide a small smile and he turned to go upstairs to bed. When he got to his room, he made plans for the next day as he got ready to sleep. He was finally going to get in some flying practice and then check out that workout room downstairs. All he needed to do was get some sleep first and rid himself of his horrible headache.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Next chapter title- Ecclesiastes 9:12


... yeah... I know this chapter was a short one. Sorry. Work is insane and I've only had three hours of sleep in the last two days (from 10am-1pm today). I just made sure that I got this chapter up like I promised myself I would... and I'll go and take a nap right now since I finally have two days off work.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1316