Harry Potter and the Mysterious Metamorphosis by Aeryun
Summary: Year Seven, SS through HBP compliant (Non Deathly Hallows Compliant) Severitus. Why is Harry's appearance changing? Is he being affected by destroying the Horcruxes in the same manner that Voldemort was while he was creating them? And just why is Snape acting so weird?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 146036 Read: 155026 Published: 06 May 2007 Updated: 10 Feb 2009
Chapter 21: To Hell and Back by Aeryun
Author's Notes:
Wow, not even a month between this post and last. Let us all praise the Muse for her getting back into her groove! I know I’m rather happy about it! Thank you to LovesRickman for the input and Beta!

"Envenerate!"

"Aguamenti!"

"Oh, Harry!"

"Exaresco. Damn it, Harry, don't you dare do this to me!" Hermione exclaimed, before she started pacing around the room.

"Foetor Minimus! Come on, Harry, come back to us. You can't..."

"Hermione? Hey, Hermione, what are you doing in Harry's room, and while he's asleep?" Ron asked as he walked into the room. He looked around with a puzzled expression on his face. "Why is Harry slumped over like that?"

"Shhh! Ron!" She said as she dragged him into the room and shut the door and re-warded it.

"What's going on here? Why do I need to be quiet, and why are you so upset? Hermione I haven't seen your hair this bushy since we took our OWLs." Ron said, starting to panic.

"I cannot believe you are worried about my HAIR at a time like this, Ronald Weasley!" Hermione exclaimed.

"At a time like what exactly, Hermione? And just why are you so upset? You do know that from just looks alone, I should be the one upset. After all, MY girlfriend is in my best friend's room while he's asleep. But, after fourth year, I'm not going to make any more assumptions. I can learn from my mistakes," he said.

She gave him a small smile. "Yes, and I am very proud of you, Ron. But right now Harry needs our help...I think," she said, sounding slightly puzzled.

"You think? Hermione, what is going on here? I'm getting beyond worried. You're never indecisive like this. You've always been the one to know exactly what Harry needs," he said as he plopped into a chair that was facing the bed. He then took a good look at Harry. "Um, Hermione, why is Harry slumped over like that?"

Hermione slumped down onto the bed, and looked at her unconscious friend, sighed, and then looked at Ron. "I guess I should start from the beginning, shouldn't I?"

She took a deep breath at his nod, and then started to explain just what they had been up to while Ron was sitting with his Mum.

"Ron? Ron, please speak to me," Hermione begged a very dumbfounded looking Ron.

"I...I can't believe the two of you. You agreed to let him do this, when neither of you knew of a way to pull him back? What were you thinking?" Ron yelled.

"Ron, I..."

"Uhhgh! Did anyone get the name of the Hippogriff that ran me over?"

Both Ron and Hermione whipped around to look at Harry. "Harry!" came matching shouts.

Harry winced, "Not so loud, please. I don't think my head has ever hurt this bad," Harry said with a grimace. He then looked at Hermione and smiled, "It worked! Oh Hermione it worked beyond belief!"

"I can't believe you did that Harry, and with no way to bring you back!"

Harry whipped his head around at Ron's shout. "Ron! Why are you here? I thought you were sitting with your Mum all night?"

"I did, Mate. I've been gone for hours. How long were you out of it, and just what did you do?" Ron asked.

"I think I took a tour of my magical pathways, and pools..." Harry spent the next hour explaining everything he saw while he was floating through his system. "And then I came to this very weird pool. It was nice at the surface of the pool, but the deeper I got the nastier it got. The bottom was almost tar like, and...well that's when I got, um, kind of sucked out of my own body," he stopped and looked at Ron with a worried expression.

"What is it, Harry?" Hermione asked as she rubbed his arm in comfort.

Harry shrugged and started to twist his hands in the bed covers. "It's just that...well you know where I ended up. I was in Voldemort's head, and he was meeting with a few of his Death Eaters. Oh, Merlin Hex me! I'm not sure how to tell you this. I think I know who took Ginny and hurt your Mum, Ron," Harry said quietly.

"That's great Harry! If you know who took her, then we will have a starting place on where to start looking for her," Ron said excitedly.

Harry looked to Hermione for help. She nodded slightly and went to stand by Ron, and said, "Ron, let Harry finish. I've got a bad feeling about this."

"Both of you are right," Harry said, raking his hand through his hair and snarling when it got caught up in the length. "I was lucky, the meeting was without masks. So I got to see a few Death Eaters. I recognized their faces, they were all at Hogwarts. But the only one I knew the name of was Per...Bloody hell, this is hard. It was Percy, he was the only one I knew by name," Harry said, and just looked at his lap waiting for the explosion he was sure to come.

"...no good...I can't believe...stupid lying git..." Ron muttered as he paced back and forth, not seeing Harry cringe at every understood word.

"I'm sorry, Ron. I know you're upset, but I'm not lying. I swear I saw Percy," Harry said quickly after he heard Ron's last muttered word.

"What? Oh, Harry. I'm not talking about you. I was talking about that git I used to call brother. Just wait until my brothers hear this. Percy will be sorry he was ever born," Ron said adamantly.

Harry and Hermione both looked relieved, and knew for sure that Ron had truly matured recently.

"Well, now that we have this information, what do we do with it?" Harry asked.

"First I think we need to hear about your trip into Voldemort's head. Did he realize you were there? How did you get back? Do you think you can do it again, and most importantly do you think it's safe for you to do it?" Hermione asked.

"No, he didn't realize I was there. I got back the same way I got there, I just sunk down into that weird pool. By the way, his was just the opposite of mine. His was all tar and nastiness at the surface, and clean and green at the bottom. What do you think that means, Hermione? Oh, and yes I'm sure I can do it again, and I'm just as sure that it's safe," Harry said.

"Not to get in the way of progress," Ron said, having to pause to yawn, "But it's awful late. Shouldn't we try and get a few hours of sleep before we tackle how to share this information with the others? I don't know about the two of you, but all of a sudden I'm exhausted."

Hermione looked between the guys and nodded, both were looking very haggard. "I think Ron's right. You've both been through ordeals tonight, and we need our wits about us if we are going to tell a bunch of Slytherins this kind of news."

"Ok, I agree," Harry said. "See you both in a few hours."

Goodnights were said, and Ron and Hermione quietly went to their own rooms.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

"I do not care what you say, Lucius, it had to have been an outside operation from the younger recruits. The Dark Lord is highly upset that he has no idea who took the Weasley brat, and is livid that no one has brought her to him," Severus argued.

"How can you just dismiss what I had over heard the last time I was in the manor? The Carrows were planning an attack on the Weasley family, I heard them debating who to bring in to help them. They seemed highly upset that you still had more pull with the Dark Lord than they did, and said that this was a sure way to push them above even you," Lucius explained, giving the air that he was tired of repeating himself.

"I am not implying fraudulence on your part, I am simply say that if they had gone through with their plan. The Carrows would have turned the brat in by now and claimed the glory for themselves. As this is not the case, I tend to believe you were not the only one attending to that conversation from the outside," Severus said with exasperation.

Narcissa sighed, causing the men to turn to her. "Yes, dear, what do you have to add?" Lucius asked, glad that she finally decided to join him. He smirked at Severus as she started to speak.

"Lucius, darling, you do not always need to be correct. In fact, in this instance you are far from it. Severus is right; those two power hungry siblings would have tried to claim their glory as soon as possible. It is a pity they did not. From what Severus has implied about the Dark Lord's opinion on the matter, we might not have had to deal with them any longer if they had at least claimed they were responsible," she said with a smile, as Lucius' smirk died and Severus' just got bigger.

Lucius stalked over to the fire with a growl. "Well, Severus, I hope you're happy, for once you're right and I was wrong. Savor the moment. It only took you nearly twenty years to do it."

Narcissa couldn't help but laugh at the scowl Severus gave her husband.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Harry stuck his head out into the hallway and gave a quick look both ways, seeing it was safe he motioned for Hermione and Ron to follow him. They quickly made their way to Petunia's room. Knocking as quietly as he could and still get her attention, Harry hoped that she was still in there. He really didn't want to chance running into any of the other adults in the house.

"Yes...Harry what are you doing?" Petunia asked as she was pushed into her room by the teen trio.

Hermione set up the wards as Harry calmed down his Aunt. "I'm sorry, Aunt Petunia. We didn't mean to scare you. It's just that we don't want to deal with the others, and we also don't want to leave the house without telling someone. We've got to go to the school and talk to a few friends, so you'll cover for us, right?" Harry asked, daring to give her the innocent look had never worked in the past.

"Harry James Potter, it may have not looked like I paid attention to you while you were growing up, but I was. That look isn't going to work on me now, anymore than it did when you were eight and trying to explain to me how you ended up on your school's roof. Now, if you will calmly explain to me what you are trying to keep from those...from the others, then I will decide whether or not it is in your best interest for me to help you," she said with a soft smile.

Harry glanced at Hermione and Ron, and then turned back to his aunt. "We're not up to anything. They agreed to let us go talk to a few friends to see if they knew anything about when Ginny left school when she got abducted," he said, trying not to act guilty. Wondering how he could face Voldemort and keep his head, yet both Petunia and Snape could make him act like a guilty five year old caught with his hand in the biscuit jar.

"I understand that, Harry. I want to know what you are trying to keep from Mr. Snape. Now, don't look at me like that. If there wasn't something to hide, you wouldn't need me to cover for you. Now start talking!"

"It's like this. We kind of stumbled over some info, and they won't believe us if we tell them. So we need to go talk to our friends to see if they can confirm what we found out," Harry said in a rush.

"Yes, and just how did you come across this information? From my understanding, the only place you, Harry, have been allowed is around the house. Ron and Hermione here have only been allowed to see his mother, I highly doubt either of them is going to take up that valuable time gather information, or at least information that the others wouldn't already have," she said with an eyebrow raised.

"I...uh...got it in a dream last night and I don't want the lecture I'm sure to get about not clearing my mind. I've had enough of that lecture to last me several lifetimes," Harry answered with a shudder.

"So all of this is so he doesn't find out you were inattentive? Does he not understand you are a teen?" Petunia asked.

All three teens shook their heads No, vigorously. "No, he's never accepted anything less than perfection. He won't understand Hermione and I goofing off until we both passed out last night," Harry explained, while the others nodded as well.

Petunia sighed. Taking Harry by the shoulder, she maneuvered him over to her sitting area. "Harry, I know you've never gotten along with Mr. Snape, but he is your father. You should quit hiding from that fact, accept it, and make the best of it. I've learned quite a lot about the boy I knew as a child that grew into the man he became over the years. He was so enamored with your mother even before they left for school, and the only time I ever heard her speak ill of him was after her fifth year. But, much to my dismay at the time, they made up over the summer, and grew even closer. I got to see exactly how great he loved, and just how deathly loyal he is. Harry, he only demands perfection from you, because he wants the best for you. I suspect he also demands the same perfection from your friends, because he knows they will be with you every step of the way, and he wants all of you to survive. Now, don't look so defeated. I'll help you, but only if you promise me that you will try to give the man a chance. Please, Harry?" Petunia asked.

Harry was taken aback. He had never heard the woman speak to him with such conviction. He couldn't help what he did next. "Yes, I'll try. But, your not going to leave me alone in this attempt are you?"

"No, Harry, I won't leave you alone. I know you've got a long road ahead of you. I also know you've got quite a bit on your plate. I'm not going to leave you to struggle, not anymore," she agreed, giving Harry's shoulder a squeeze. "Now go on and get out of here, before you three are missed."

With that, Harry, Ron, and Hermione snuck down to the Cabinet room and made their way to Hogwart's without getting caught.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

Once they were safety in Snape's old quarters, Harry looked at his watch and smiled. "Twenty minutes until the start of dinner. That gives us plenty of time to find Luna and Neville. Hermione, you're the only one of us who has been to the Ravenclaw dorms, so it's up to you to get Luna and bring her to the Room of Requirement. Ron and I will go get Neville," Harry suggested.

"I suggest we Transfigure our robes into school robes. We will be less suspicious looking. After all, we will blend right in as seventh years," Hermione said.

"Not bad," Ron commented as he looked over himself and his friends. "But Hermione, you need a bag and an armful of books to pass as yourself as student...OW! Must you hit so hard?" he said after she punched him in the arm.

"So, Disillusionment charms to make it out of the Dungeons safely?" Harry suggested. Once everyone was charmed, they quickly made their ways to their destinations.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

"Merlin, Harry, there's no way we looked that young when we started here," Ron commented as they passed a group of first year Hufflepuffs on their way to dinner.

"I don't know about giants like you, but I imagine I looked younger when I started, considering how small I was at age eleven," Harry said.

"You know, Harry, you're just as tall as I am now. What with that growth spurt you had around your birthday. So I'd be careful who you call a giant."

"Password?" said the Fat Lady, startling the two out of their friendly banter.

"Uh...um...damn, I'm surprised Hermione didn't think about this. Whoa!" Harry exclaimed when the portrait almost hit him in the face as it opened to let a group through.

"Whew, you and your luck, mate! I'm not sure what we'd do without it," Ron said as they entered after the group had cleared out.

"Ron? Is that really you?" screeched Lavender. "It is you! What are you doing here? We were told you weren't coming back for the last year? And just who is Mister tall, dark, and handsome here?" see asked giving Harry a flirtatious wink.

Ron rolled his eyes, as he watched Harry try and repress a shudder. "Lavender, this is Harry. He's Glamoured," he said to explain the changes.

"Oh," she said, sounding slightly disappointed. "So, why are you two here?"

"We wanted to see Neville, you wouldn't happen to know where he is?" asked Harry.

"Yeah, he pretty much stays in his room. He's not been his normal self this year, what with being the only one in the dorm and all," Parvarti answered.

"He's alone? What happened to Seamus and Dean?" Ron asked.

"Not sure," Lavender replied.

"We haven't been given much information and why many of the students didn't come back. It's not just Gryffindor that's missing students," Parvarti added.

"Oh, well we better go talk to Neville before we start a riot then," Harry said as he pulled Ron towards the stairs leading to the boy's dorm.

"I can't believe you dated her," Harry said quietly to Ron as they made their way up to the seventh year dorm floor. "Well, that is if you call constantly snogging, dating."

"I know, I keep trying to forget about it. I had to have been cursed by a Slytherin, that's the only thing I can think to defend myself," Ron said with a shudder.

Harry knocked and then entered the room. "Hey, Neville, how have you been doing?"

Neville looked up from his Herbology text with an incredulous grin on his face. "Ron, Harry? Is that really you?"

"Yeah, it's us," Harry said as he moved his fringe off to the side to show Neville the infamous scar.

"Oh! You don't know how much I've missed the two of you! Have you come back? Where have you been? What have you been doing? Why didn't you come back this year?" Neville asked in a rush.

"Hey, mate, slow down a bit would ya?" Ron said, slugging Neville's arm. "No need for you to go Hermione on us, we have to deal with enough of her as it is."

"I promise you all the answers we can give you, if you come with us to the Room of Requirement. Hermione went to get Luna, and we're supposed to meet them there. So, will you join us?" Harry asked.

"Like you really need to ask me, I'd follow you just about anywhere, Harry. You know that," Neville answered, his sincerity making Harry feel bad about leaving him behind alone at the school.

"I know, Neville. You're a great friend! You proved that our first year! Dumbledore was right, what he said about you when he gave you those points! Now let's hurry, no telling what kind of room Hermione and Luna will set up," Harry said.

Unfortunately for the guys, they didn't make it to the Room of Requirement first. Ron visibly shuddered when he walked into what looked like a Library in the sky. Hermione and Luna's tastes really didn't mix well.

Harry felt like he should be on his broom, even with the non-stop book shelves cluttering the way, it energized him in a way the library alone never could do. He smiled at the girls, as he walked over to the chairs they were sitting in. "Hey, Luna, it's nice to see you again! I hadn't realized how much I missed you, both of you," he added, as he looked over his shoulder to include Neville as well.

Once everyone was seated and comfortable, Luna asked, "I wondered how long it would take the three of you to come talk to us about Ginny."

Ron looked surprised, while Harry and Hermione just smiled. "That is exactly why we are here, you're correct, Luna." Hermione replied.

"Yes, we were hoping the two of you could tell us what all went on the day before she...uh disappeared," Harry asked.

"Don't you mean kidnapped?" Luna asked. "After all Mrs. Weasley would never send her a letter worded the way that one was. Her letters were always soft as a Fleecedfauxfox's mother, and she hardly ever wrote twice in one day. I know Ginny was worried something was amiss, but she was sure meeting whom ever it would be in her Mother's place in front of the main doors was safe enough," Luna explained.

"Luna, how many people know Ginny was abducted?" Hermione questioned worriedly.

"Oh, don't worry Hermione. Everyone but Neville and I believed the cover story we were given. The headmistress said that she had been pulled from school to be closer to her family. It has been a rather normal occurrence. Parents have been pulling kids out regularly, and for silly reasons. Like it's hard to see that Professor Dumbledore was dying all last year, and that Professor Snape helped him in the end," Luna finished in her normal dreamy voice.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville just sat there staring at her. When she giggled at the faces they were making, that snapped them out of their stupor.

"Er, right...Luna, why...what...how did you come to that conclusion?" Harry asked.

"It was easy if you paid attention last year. Professor Dumbledore was growing weaker as the year progressed, and Professor Snape was constantly worried. He was constantly watching Professor Dumbledore with either concern in the beginning of the year, and it changed to loathing and finally to resignation right before the invasion took place. I'm surprised, Hermione, that you didn't see the same," Luna replied.

"I was, slightly distracted, last year," Hermione said, blushing and refusing to look at Ron.

"Yes, well, ok then, Neville do you have anything to add?" Ron asked, trying desperately to change the subject. One conversation about Lavender Brown was enough for the day; no, make that for the rest of his life!

"No, unfortunately I can't add a thing. I've kind of shut myself off in the dorm all year. Between worrying about the three of you, and then dealing with Dean's disappearance, and Seamus' crazy Mum keeping him from school all because you weren't going to be here for the year, Harry. Well, I've had a lot on my mind," he said.

"Dean disappeared? Is anyone looking into that?" Harry asked.

"No, no need to, really. I sent him a letter the first night, letting him know that Seamus' Mum had finally gone round the bend, and got a short reply saying that he had gone back to being a Muggle until it was safe again. That he wasn't leaving his Mum alone without someone there to protect her and his siblings. All other letters have been returned non-deliverable," Neville answered with a sigh.

"Oh, Neville!" Hermione said as she pulled him into a huge hug.

Neville turned bright red, "Her...Hermione, really, it's ok now. I'll be a lot better now that I've seen some friendly faces. I'll be even better if the three of you promise to visit more often!" Neville hinted, with a small grin.

"I'm not sure what we can promise, you have to understand we're working on a project Dumbledore gave us. We haven't had much time to socialize," Harry explained. "But we will try to see the both of you when we can. Now, how about I call Dobby, and see about him bringing us some supper up here?"

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

"Shhh you two! I can't believe you're being so goofy. I swear Luna has the worst effect on you both. It's like you revert to being children all over again," Hermione said in a huff.

"I do believe it is a little late for that, Miss Granger. Now if one of you would be so kind as to tell me where you snuck off to, and why you are getting back at such a ridiculous time of night?" Snape said. Standing in the doorway, arms crossed, eyebrow raised, and a scowl that could make a seventh year Hufflepuff need to change his pants.

The End.
End Notes:
I do believe Luna has been the hardest to write. I do hope I gave her justice, please let me know what you think. Thank you! And as always please leave a review! :D

Aery


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1317