Harry Potter and the Mysterious Metamorphosis by Aeryun
Summary: Year Seven, SS through HBP compliant (Non Deathly Hallows Compliant) Severitus. Why is Harry's appearance changing? Is he being affected by destroying the Horcruxes in the same manner that Voldemort was while he was creating them? And just why is Snape acting so weird?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 146036 Read: 155032 Published: 06 May 2007 Updated: 10 Feb 2009
Chapter 24: Little Boy Lost by Aeryun

"Hermione, where's Ron? He swore he'd be here today for us to study together. You would think he'd be grateful that Snape and Narcissa agreed to tutor us so we aren't a complete year behind," Harry bemoaned. "I know," Harry said waving his hand to stop Hermione before she started, "he's spending time with his mum. But I thought he took his responsibilities here as seriously as he did his family. We only have twenty days left until we go to Godric's Hollow. I want us to be prepared for the worst on this trip. This pull I've been feeling...I've been worried about it ever since we found out Voldemort is having the place watched. What if this is another Department of Mysteries?"

Hermione just watched as her best friend rambled. She knew that while Ron was a concern, it wasn't what really had Harry upset. She figured that what Snape had said about Harry had truly, finally sunk in. Harry Potter was worried that Ron was going to do another Goblet of Fire on him, only this time it wouldn't be repairable.

"Harry...Harry...HARRY! Stop, sit down and take a breath. Now, mind telling me what you are really worried about? We both know Ron doesn't care about being a year, or more, behind after all this is over," she asked.

It truly scared Harry, when he thought about how well Hermione could channel Professor McGonagall, and without even trying. He shuddered before looking up from his hands.

"He's not here to learn about all this new...stuff with us. And if I get any further along...it's like I told you the other day, how much more can he take before he finds being the friend of Harry Potter to much?" Harry finished in a dejected whisper.

"Harry, how long have you been worried about this? And before you answer, remember this, I know you, and I know how you like keeping all of your fears and worries locked in that head of yours. I will also know if you lie to me, so don't even try," she said, her arms crossed and the look on her face was just daring him to try.

Harry sat there thinking over his options. ‘Ok, so I could just drop this now, and go back to doing things how I've always done them. I've taken care of myself this long, why stop now? Why? Because I'm tired of standing on my own, and Hermione has always tried to be there for me. She never wavered, even when Ron did.'

"Truthfully? Since he figured out I had been telling the truth after the first task. Did he ever tell you what he saw in the Mirror of Erised?" he asked.

"Yes, we have talked about it before. He was laughing about it before Bill's wedding. Said that he'd never get to see if the mirror showed the truth or not, because we wouldn't be going back. But, Harry, don't take that the wrong way. He really was in good spirits about it," Hermione said, almost pleadingly.

"I believe he meant it at the time, but he's already turned away once, what's to keep him from doing it again?" Harry asked sincerely.

"I would hope his loyalty of our friendship, and his love for the both of us would be enough. Unfortunately, I can't promise for him. I can only promise for me, and no matter what he does, Harry, I'm not going anywhere," she replied.

Neither saw the redhead on the other side of the door listening, nor did they see him walk away.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"Concentrate, please, Harry," Severus said, trying to keep the exasperation out of his voice. They were both tired and there was no need to set off the teen-aged ticking time bomb that was his son. After all they did have the same temper, only Harry had more power to back his up. Severus didn't feel he would come out the winner much longer.

"I'm trying to. How many times are you going to have me transform? I've already been a mongoose, a horribly familiar rat, the kitten, and a blasted peacock of all things. I still can't believe thinking of how Draco and Lucius Malfoy make me feel made me turn into that bloody bird," Harry grumbled.

"Yes, well you turning into Wormtail while thinking of Albus was highly enlightening. I never knew you felt so betrayed by him. I'm just happy I rated the kitten, even if you did hiss and scratch at me," Severus sighed. "Did you have to purr when you thought about Narcissa and Petunia, though? Narcissa will never let me live that down if she finds out!"

Harry laughed. "You have to admit, the mongoose was bloody appropriate for Voldemort! What better way to take out the snake face bast...er beast?"

"Well, I can see we are not going to accomplish anything else at the moment. Harry, I want you to know, I am proud of you. You have taken everything that has been thrown at you in stride. Even the situation I thrust you into. I know it wasn't easy for you to let go of the hate you felt towards me, and you have done a remarkable job. I know you feel that Albus might have betrayed you in several ways, but it is you that has chosen to get this far, and you took the honorable path as well. That is to be commended!" Severus said, before he quickly left the practice room.

Harry just rolled his eyes at the man's quick exit, although the thought behind the message was not lost on the teen. ‘Well, at least he's trying.' Harry then warded the door, and sat down to meditate. There was one way to make sure that the upcoming mission to Godric's Hollow wasn't a trap, and Harry wasn't going to pass up the chance. He followed the now very familiar path to the vibrant green pool, and let the under laying tar drag him under and into Voldemort's mind.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Harry took a few seconds to orientate himself; he never did seem to land in the same area. Sometimes he would witness what was going on, like his first visit. Other times took him to past memories, Harry had learned more than he wanted to about what exactly went on those last years at the orphanage, before Tom Riddle went off to Hogwart's.

This time, it seemed, Harry was once again lost in old memories. And from the looks of things they were very early memories, for the little boy that was unmistakably Tom Riddle, looked to be only three or four years old.

"Hewwo, Miwser," came a voice from behind Harry, making him jump out of his witts.

Harry slowly turned, trying to keep calm. He knew his heart was nowhere physically near him while he was an astral projection of himself, but that didn't stop it from trying to beat itself out of his throat in fear. Seeing the same small child, Harry was taken aback. So he did the only thing he knew to do...he plunged in headfirst. ‘My father is going to kill me, if I live through this!'

"Hello, there. Who are you?" Harry asked.

The little boy puffed out his chest in an attempt to look older and more important. "I am Tom Marvolvo, Marvalo. I'm Tom Riddle. Who awe you, Miwser? Are you here to keep the bad mens away from me?"

Harry quirked his eyebrow. "What bad men? Where are they?" He was suddenly even more worried; what if there was a Voldemort personality up here as well. Harry really didn't want to fight the man in his own home turf, and you couldn't get anymore home turf than your mind.

"The bad man that came and showeded me that I was specialwer than the other kids. But he huwt me. Made me do mean things to my fwiends. I didn't wan to huwt them," the young Tom explained. "Hewe, maybe I can shows you," he exclaimed and grabbed Harry's hand, pulling them backwards through the currently running memories.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Ron sat next to his mother's bed, staring at the door; he had long ago given up watching his father tinker with a clock.

"Ron, you cannot wish the young lady through the door. She may not even be assigned to Molly today. If you want to see her so badly, why don't you go looking for her?" Arthur spoke up, startling his son with both his perceptiveness and by the fact that his total focus wasn't on the clock like Ron had assumed.

"Are you sure, dad? I don't want to leave you alone in here," Ron asked half-heartedly.

"We will be fine, Ron. Go on and chat with your friend," Arthur said with a shooing motion of his hands.

Arthur sighed and looked lovingly at his wife. "Come on Mollywobbles, your family needs you back. I'm no good in the romance department, and that young man is smitten, whether he knows it or not! Now, I wonder what would happen if I moved this Charm here, and that one there? Oh my! Ginny, just hang on a tad longer, my little lioness. We're coming to get you!" He exclaimed as he jumped up. He kissed Molly gently, before he dashed out of the room.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Ron walked down the ward looking around for someone specific, seeing her sitting at a desk, his face lit up, and he quickly made his way over to her.

"Hey, Cho, you assigned to Mum today? She always seems better when you're in there," Ron asked.

Cho looked up from her work and smiled. "Hello, Ron. Yes, I have been assigned to your mum's ward for the general future. My Master Healer was impressed with the progress my patients here have made," her eyes softened as she took in the dark circles under his eyes and creases the constant worry had put in the teen's forehead. "How about you, how are you holding up?"

Ron ran a hand through his hair. "Ok, I guess. Just too much going on to worry about between mum, Ginny, and then all the stuff with...well you know," he finished lamely.

She nodded, and cast Tempus. "I'm up for my break; would you like to join me for some tea and Quidditch talk? It would do both of us a great deal of good to get our minds off of what's going on down here," Cho asked as she stood up and held out her hand.

He nodded and took her hand as they walked to the stairwell.

"I was sad to hear that the Tornados lost their Seeker in a Death Eater attack. She could have led them to the World Cup," Ron said, before taking a sip of tea. "You know, it's awful that they canceled the entire season. I understand after the attack on the arena right before the Wanderers vs. Portee match, that it was just to dangerous not to. But as a fan it saddens me to know that it's one more thing this war has taken away from everyone."

"I know what you mean. I see so many families in here that have almost given up. It's almost like no one has anything to look forward to anymore, and the Prophet is an even bigger joke now than it was the year after the Tournament. They won't report a thing that the public needs to know. They try and keep everything light and fluffy. Scrimgeour should have paid attention to what got Fudge kicked out of office. But instead he's following the same path. Maligning poor Harry when ever he can, and letting that...that vile woman they tried to pass off as a Defense teacher and Headmistress report on him, after all she did to him then," Cho pause to get her temper under control.

"I know, we were completely shocked when we found out how little the Prophet is reporting on now. I wonder if Hermione has found out anymore about that?" Ron wondered out loud.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"So the Ministry isn't allowing the Prophet to report on hardly any deaths? And they are trying to keep as many of the attacks as possible under wraps as well? I don't understand why they would do that?" Hermione asked Narcissa.

"Is it not obvious? Scrimgeour is no better than Fudge. Severus had said that he wanted Harry as a figurehead? Does that not show you he is just as bad? He has kept Delores Umbridge close to him, even after the disgrace she caused at Hogwart's. I am not sure what can be done, but someone needs to speak up and voice what is really happening," Narcissa said adamantly.

Hermione jumped up. "You're right, and I might know a way for that voice to be heard," she said right before she ran from the room, and made her way directly to Harry's training room.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP

Hermione banged on the door for the third time. "Harry James Potter! If you don't take down these wards and let me into that room this instant I am going to drag Professor Snape, Mrs. Malfoy, and your Aunt up here and let them deal with what ever you've gotten yourself into this time!"

The door suddenly swung open, and she cautiously walked towards a meditating Harry. He opened his eyes just as she sat in front of him. "Gee, Hermione, you must have threatened something major. I told my wards to only let you in if I was in extreme danger. So, who were you threatening to drag up here this time, Lucius?" Harry asked with a chuckle.

Suddenly Hermione had her wand out, and a streak of feathers was all that Harry could see coming towards him. Lucky for Harry, his reflexes were at their peak and he had a shield up before he could get scratched or pecked. "Wow, Hermione, I didn't realize you were that upset. No need to get violent. Now why don't you sit back down and tell me what you needed, so that we can get to the very interesting tour I had of Riddle's past," he said faking an overly bored tone, knowing she'd pick up on his excitement nonetheless.

As he knew she would, she perked up instantly. "What did you learn about his past that we didn't already learn from Professor Dumbledore, Harry?"

He tilted his head and gave her a smile. "Are you sure you don't want to tell me what was so important? What I found can wait," Harry teased.

"It's nothing, I just had an idea about how we can counteract the Prophet, but it can wait. Besides, I was simply worried because Professor Snape went into his room hours ago, and yet no one saw you leave this room. You alone for that long is a dangerous thing!" she exclaimed.

"Oh? So now I'm a toddler that can't be left alone? And to think I was all of twelve when I defeated a basilisk on my own. Maybe I should just keep my findings to myself," Harry said as he started to get up.

Hermione pulled him back down onto the floor with a huff. "You know that's not what I meant! Now, start talking, before I do drag Professor Snape, Mrs. Malfoy, and your Aunt in here so they can get it out of you!"

"That's just playing dirty, that is!" He gave her a looking over. "Are you sure the Hat didn't want you in Slytherin, or have you just been around to many of them for too long? Ok, ok sit back down. I was only teasing. I met someone on this trip into Voldemort's mind, Hermione, and if what I found out was true...well I, I'm not sure what it would mean for the war. If it's true I don't think I can kill Voldemort after all."

The End.
End Notes:
The Muse has been in overdrive and right when my Beta had to go MIA on me. I thought my head was going to explode. Lucky for us all, it exploded onto a Word document and LovesRickman came back to me just in time. Oh, and just remember if you kill me or flame me I can’t get the next chapter out before I leave for Greece. :D
Aery


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1317