Harry Potter and the Mysterious Metamorphosis by Aeryun
Summary: Year Seven, SS through HBP compliant (Non Deathly Hallows Compliant) Severitus. Why is Harry's appearance changing? Is he being affected by destroying the Horcruxes in the same manner that Voldemort was while he was creating them? And just why is Snape acting so weird?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 146036 Read: 155032 Published: 06 May 2007 Updated: 10 Feb 2009
Chapter 26 Face Off by Aeryun
Author's Notes:
Sorry it's been so long. I'll explain in the ending AN. I'd also like to add a warning. I know I have Character Death in the warnings, well on those sites that have warnings. While there have been other deaths in the story, this is the first time I've felt the need to warn about it a head of time. So, consider yourself warned.

The room was in utter chaos, everyone was on their feet and shouting.

Lucius' disbelief was the loudest. "This confirms everything I have ever thought about Arthur Weasley! He has to be a complete and utter moron, an utter simpleton, if he believes for a moment that Severus should risk his cover for one of...them," he said with contempt. "It is not as if there are not plenty more to make up for the..." Lucius gave an undignified squawk as he found himself once again in company of the spiders on the ceiling.

Narcissa shook her head as she said, "My Dearest, when are you going to learn? I would not blame Harry in the least if he left you up there." She then turned to Severus just as he was opening his mouth. "Do not dare to lecture Harry. Lucius needs to learn that he is not a law onto himself. I do believe he has forgotten when it is time to keep his opinions to himself. It would seem in his two years away he has lost a great deal of subtly."

Meanwhile, Remus looked around the room and found the young witch he had been looking for. He quickly made his way over to Hermione, leaving the rest to sort out the problem between Lucius and Harry.

"I am very disappointed in you, young lady. I thought you made these coins so that we would be able to contact each other in an emergency, yet I find I once again had to rush over here because neither of you had your coins on your person. I expected better, from you both."

"I would normally agree with you, Lupin, but we have been dealing with our own problems here, and have been deeply engrossed in trying to find a solution," Severus explained, not bothering to keep the condescending tone from his voice.

"Problems?" Remus asked, eyeing Harry and Lucius once again. "Is Harry ok?" he asked as he looked the agitated teen over from head to toe.

"Harry is fine, Remus. We've just had a bit of a shock, but that can wait. What is Mr. Weasley wanting us to do? Why does he want so many to help? Surely he can't really expect the Malfoys to help, they are supposed to be in hiding, and Professor Snape can't be seen near us either," Hermione questioned.

"I do believe that Arthur thought that, as a Potions Master, Severus would have plenty of Polyjuice Potion available for his own use." Remus then glanced back to the ceiling, then shook his head and looked back to Hermione, "and no, none of us expect any of the Malfoys to lift a finger to help like this, it's just not their styl..."

"I want to go. I want to help."

That simple statement had everyone's attention, and had the normally pale skin of Draco Malfoy pinking up rather quickly from the attention it brought him,

"What? Is it so surprising that I grew up over the past few months? What did you think I had been doing in my room all that time? I realize that if we are going to win this war, we all have to work together. We cannot let our allies die if it is possible to save them, no matter what family they come from." Here he glared up at his father. "If we do not save them, then we are no better than who and what we are fighting. Look how long the Dark...I mean Voldemort, has left his loyal followers in Azkaban from two years ago," Draco explained.

"Severus, if you have enough, I would like to go as well. Draco is right, now is the time for us to take more of a direct action to help when we can," Narcissa said proudly.

Severus sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. He wondered if living in close contact to Gryffindors was having a detrimental effect on everyone's Slytherin-ness, and if so, this was truly going to be an entirely too long night. Resigned he said, "I refuse to endanger anyone on a fools errand. If he truly wants our help, then Arthur will come here so that we can plan this out fully. I refuse to act like a Gryffindor and simply rush in just because we have a location. Has the location even been confirmed yet?"

Remus sighed, knowing Severus was right. Ginny had been gone this long, a few more hours for proper planning wouldn't hurt, and in the long run could save a few in the group as well. "Very well, I will send him a message. He should be here shortly."

Severus watched as the indistinct form whisked away with the message.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"I can't believe him!" Harry exclaimed, as he glared at Ron. "All this time he's been chatting up her, leaving you at the house to do all the work. I've always known he can be a prat, especially after fourth year, but I never took him as that disloyal." Hermione just sniffed, trying her hardest not to cry, now was not the time for tears. The twins looked murderous.

Harry almost felt sorry for both Ron and Percy. Almost. Ron was currently being shunned by everyone. He had been caught snogging Cho Chang in a manner that would have made Lavender Brown blush. None-the-less, Arthur had insisted he come to the Burrow.

Bill was staying with Molly. She was currently being moved to Hogwarts; they had heard a rumor through one of the Malfoy elves that Voldemort was planning on attacking either the Ministry, St. Mungo's, or both.

A very uncomfortable looking Arthur Weasley cleared his throat. "I need everyone's attention, if you will. Do to some tinkering with the family clock we found a possible location on where Ginevra is being kept. Now that the location has been confirmed we need to move swiftly and smoothly. I know that you have been working in groups, and so far that has been working to our advantage, but today I would like for every teen to be paired with an adult." He then took a breath and looked through the group. "Harry, I want you with me, Hermione with Remus, Bill with Charlie, Ron with Nymphadora. Fred and George, you two will be our diversionary tactic. I expect mass confusion on their end. I know this is a smaller group than normally used by the Order, but this is more of a family matter than it is an Order matter," he said glancing at Bill. "Any questions? Good, one more thing. I want everyone to use every skill available to you. No holding back," he said looking directly at Harry, who gave a small nod.

"Remember everyone, we want this to go as swiftly as possible, in and out no over the top heroics," Arthur said right before he motioned for everyone to disapparate.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

The group found themselves in the middle of a field looking towards a farmhouse in Bath. Arthur motioned for everyone to stay put while he surveyed the area and circled the outside of the house, occasionally casting Animadverto Pentus, a little known spell that lets a person see the layout of a section of a building, but unfortunately not the occupants.

"Harry, I want you to do your own personal magic with the wards. Do you think there is a way you can sneak the entire group through without detection?" Arthur whispered to Harry.

Harry looked puzzled for a moment, then nodded. He closed his eyes and stood very still for just a moment. When he opened them, he looked to Arthur and smiled. Arthur then gave the order for everyone to disillusion and move through, quickly and quietly. Once they were done he motioned for everyone to take their places.

As they had previously arranged, the twins set off a huge explosion to drive everyone out of the house. It worked magnificently as a handful of men ran out of the house, wands drawn looking to see what had caused the disturbance.

Unfortunately for them, they where caught outnumbered and unaware, and were taken down swiftly.

Unfortunately for the rescue team, Percy was not one of the men that came to investigate, and there was truly no way to tell how many were left inside.

"Fred, George, I want the two of you to set up some surprises out here, and watch for those that might try and get away. Do be careful. Everyone else make sure these fools are secure. Once everyone is done, I want us to split up before we enter the house. I found two other entrances that I want to make use of. One in the very back of the house; Remus, Hermione, you will take that one. I want Bill and Charlie to take the entrance that leads to the cellar. Tonks, Ron, you are to enter the front with myself and Harry. We will split up once inside. Any questions? Very well, let us get this done with as few casualties as possible." Arthur ordered.

Harry followed Arthur as close as he possibly could without tripping each other up. He was nervous even more nervous after they had parted with Tonks and Ron, leaving them to check out the second floor of the house. ‘I wish this feeling would go away. Nothing ever good comes from this feeling. I wish there was something I could say, after the last Tri-Wizard task, the misery at the Ministry, and then the outing with Dumbledore last year, I learned not to ignore it. But what do I tell him? It's not like he doesn't already know this is dangerous. He should know that more than the rest of us. Oh Crap! What was that?' Harry thought to himself as he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He turned in time to see Ron move past a doorway on the other side of the hall.

The first room they came to surprised Harry. He saw a dart board on the opposite wall, there was a chess set sitting off to the side of the fire, there were books scattered on each table surface, along with book shelves that were mostly full. "If I didn't know better, I'd say we were in the library at home," Harry said quietly.

"I would agree if it were not for the titles of the books. While, yes, the Black library used to be just as Dark as this one, Albus took care to change that before he let any of you children in that house, thankfully. You lot have gotten into enough trouble on your own, I would have hated to see what those books could have added to that," Arthur said with a small smile.

Harry chuckled lightly. "Yes, I can see what you mean. Having books around with titles like, ‘Dark Arts: the Quickest Way to Power', 'Powerful Potions: Book Five' or ‘Morgana's Encyclopedia of Dark Curses'. Hermione would kill to get a hold of that last one," Harry said with a snort.

"Well, I do believe we found the room that our welcoming committee came from. Let us hope that this room held the bulk of the houses occupants," Arthur said as he went towards the other door.

They went through three other rooms and found nothing more than living space before they found an office of sorts that had Percy's name written all over it in it's neatness and pompousness, along with his magical signature. They found several documents that might come in handy later, but nothing regarding Ginny.

"Hey, someone's coming. We need to hide, and quickly," Harry whispered quickly, right before he was no longer visible. Arthur followed Harry's lead quickly, mentally cursing himself for dropping his disillusionment to search through the papers before they found anyone.

Arthur had just enough time to move right behind Harry before Percy rushed into the room. Before they knew it the door was shut and warded and Percy was scattering papers everywhere in his attempt to gather them up hastily.

"Percy, where is your sister?" Arthur said quietly, but sternly as the disillusionments fell away and Percy found himself looking down not one but two wand shafts.

"Father? Is that really...I take it you came with my brothers? They are down in the room with Ginny. You might want to hurry; if you do you might just be able to save both Ginny and Bill's lives. Although, Bill was looking quite a bit worse than he did after Greyback got a hold of him. What can I say; he never did respect my abilities. It is not my fault he underestimated me, once again," Percy sounded nervous even though they could tell he was trying act like he was bragging about what he had done to his brother.

Harry gasped in surprise when he heard that both Bill and Ginny were in mortal peril. If it were not for the tight grip Arthur had on his shirt, Harry would have been long gone from the room, running head first into a possibly dangerous situation, as usual.

The gasp was enough to change Percy's attention to Harry. "Ah, dear, sweet, Harry Potter, The Boy That Can Do No Wrong in my parent's eyes. They never did think my accomplishments were as great as they were after you came into our lives. Ronald was not downstairs, but that doesn't mean you didn't drag him along into danger once again. I tried telling him you were no good, that you would cause him nothing but grief. But he would not listen, and the only thing I got for my trouble was driven from my family. Was it not enough to drag him to the Ministry where he almost died? No, not for Harry Potter. You just have to keep dragging him into danger with you. And to think, people call the Dark Lord evil. When their Chosen One puts those that are closest to him, and that he says he loves in the most danger. First your parents, then Sirius, and now my family. The Dark Lord was correct when he told me that your family would not be enough for you. I knew he was; too bad no one else in my family would listen. It is no matter though, the lot of you have proven yourselves to be Blood Traitors that will never change, and there is no room for that type in the future of the world," he spat towards the pair.

Arthur could tell that this was going nowhere fast. He decided it was best that he act before Harry had the chance. After all, they wanted to be able to get information from Percy, and that wouldn't be possible if Harry's anger was let loose. "I have had enough of your ignorant arrogance. Stupify!" he shouted, hitting Percy dead center in his chest. He crumbled to the floor smacking his head into the desk on the way down. Arthur only cringed a little.

Arthur pulled back on Harry's shirt, once again. "I refuse to let you run down there into a situation where neither of us know what is going on. For all we know Charlie is down there fighting off a horde of Death Eaters, or is already incapacitated like we believe B..Bill and Ginevra to be. We will do this safely, so you understand me? We can not afford to lose you, period! Now, calm yourself and re-apply the disillusionment. Once done, we will calmly make our way down to the cellar."

Harry closed his eyes, wiped the tears from his face, and cleared his mind. Harry knew he was right, now was not the time to rush in, wands blazing, into an unknown situation. That would save no one, and possibly hurt or get others killed. No, now was time for caution, no matter who was hurt...or possibly worse. He was suddenly thankful for his father insisting on that lesson, almost above all others in their training. Harry looked up and gave Arthur a small smile before casting the spell and following Arthur out the now opened door.

They quietly made their way towards the side of the house where Arthur had seen a set of stairs leading down. It was eerily quiet, which worried Harry greatly. ‘This is an old farm house, shouldn't we hear the creaks from those that are upstairs? And why didn't we hear any shouting from the cellar? Did they apply silencing spells down there because of Ginny's yelling, or because that is where they take people to torture them? And if that's it, did Percy let them torture Ginny, did he do it himself? How could...'

Harry almost screamed as he ran into the back of Arthur, who luckily didn't grunt from the impact.

Arthur had heard something and stopped to wait. He had his wand drawn and the other hand was clutching Harry's shirt front. It was an awkward position, but it was one that kept Harry safe. He had a multitude of spells ready to be unleashed in the right situation. They were ready to jump from his lips when he recognized the bright pink hair. Furious he grabbed the idiot woman and dragged her and Harry back to the office where they had left Percy bound and unconscious.

He swiftly closed the door and warded it for silence. "You idiot woman, why are you just walking around out in the open? I would not have agreed to you coming if I had known your training meant so little to you! At least the boy with you was smart enough to stay hidden," he said giving a nod in Ron's direction. "Do you never think?" he asked angrily.

"Of course I think. We finished the second floor, and have seen no one until you scared the life out of us. Merlin and Morgana, Arthur, is that any way to treat an ally?" She whispered furiously.

"Just because you found no one so far, does not mean it is safe. Now, we are heading downstairs, and there is no time for this. You will do exactly what I say and follow us down there. Now let us move!" he replied just as furiously.

With that resolved, for the moment, they left the room and once again made their way to the cellar stairs. The scene that met them was disheartening, to say the least.

Charlie had Bill's head in his lap and tears were streaming down his face, his wand lying to the side, forgotten after it had done him no good to save his brother. Hermione and Remus were casting stabilizing and healing charms furiously over Ginny's all to still body.

The blood on the floor was testament to the horrors that had gone on in the room. The pool beneath Bill was so massive that Harry was worried some was coming from Charlie as well, but he waited until Arthur had surveyed the scene and deemed it safe enough to move. Harry made his way to Charlie's side, while Arthur, Tonks, and Ron went over to help Remus and Hermione.

Harry gently placed his hand on Charlie's shoulder, not wanting to jar the man in case he was injured as well. "Charlie, come on Charlie, I need to check you over. Where were you hurt?" he asked quietly.

"Not...not hurt," Charlie hiccupped. "The bastard was only worried about harming Bill. Spouting off how Bill was no good as the oldest son. How that should have been Percy instead of Bill. That Percy was the perfect son to set an example for the rest of us, but no one paid him any mind because he was a middle child. Harry? How could he think like that about his family? He's the one that turned his back on us. We never did anything to him, we all loved him no matter what. Why'd he have to kill Bill? I tried to save him, I really did. We're taught more than just first aid at the reserve. We have to be ready for the worst around dragons...bu...but none of it. Not a bloody bit helped after that...that Death Eater slashed Bill to shreds. It was worse than any dragon attack I've ever seen. But why? Why did he do it? We all loved him," Charlie said, as he started rocking and repeating the last over and over again.

Harry was positive that the man was in shock. He quickly cast a gentle sleeping spell over the man to save him from the pain he was currently drowning in. He then, scrubbed the tears from his own face and stood. ‘There will be time for tears later, once we are safely back home. I can fall apart then.' Harry told himself. He quickly made his way to the group around Ginny.

"How is she? Is there anything I can do? I spelled Charlie to sleep, he was in shock and getting worse by the second," Harry told the group as they worked over Ginny. Getting no reply, he figured that what they were doing was too important to interrupt and stood by and waited until he was needed.

What seemed like hours went by in just a few minutes, when finally all the wands were dropped and everyone stepped back, exhaustedly.

"We need to move them to Hogwarts. Poppy will have to do the rest. We have done what we could to stabilize her, as well as treating Charlie. Come on, we need to get moving. We have wounded to save, and prisoners to secure," Arthur barked as he drew out a handkerchief. After spelling that into a Portkey he handed it to Hermione and said, "Ron, I want you to go with Hermione to take Ginny, Charlie, and Bill back to Hogwarts. They are expecting us and should be ready for anything. After you drop them off, I want the both of you to head back to Number Twelve. No need to stay in the way. We will be there as shortly as possible, I am sure Minerva will want to have a full meeting, and we will need to know where to find you for that. Remus, go and quickly collect the twins, and see if they caught anyone trying to escape. Harry, come with me. We will start moving the captured together so that they are easier to transport out. Tonks, I want you to collect any information you can find that you think might be of use to us. After we are done, I am going to lock this place down. No one will be able to get in. I want the Death Eaters unsure of what has happened here, if they even know of this place," Arthur ordered.

Everyone moved to quickly comply. Remus levitated Bill's body over to the waiting group, as Harry levitated Charlie's. They were set down so that the young adults could stand in between them and link together. Once ready, Arthur activated the cloth and sent them to Hogwarts, safety, and treatment.

Tonks had already taken off upstairs to start the collection. Remus quickly moved to find the twins, as soon as the group was gone. It took a little over three hours for everyone to finish the clean up. The twins had only caught one other person, who had been upstairs in hiding. So, they had seven captured Death Eaters, including Percy, in total. Remus took them to a safe house, to be interrogated at a later time, and to keep any of the Weasleys from attempting to kill Percy for his crimes against the family. Meanwhile Fred and George were sent back to Hogwarts to await news of their sister's outcome.

Harry breathed a small sigh of relief when he was left alone with Arthur. It was getting harder to keep up the brave facade, and he was exhausted. "I would prefer it if you went straight back to the house, but I know Minerva along with Poppy will want to see for themselves that you are alive and well. So go on and head back, I will be right behind you," Arthur said, sadly. He squeezed Harry's shoulder softly, then moved back to give Harry room to Disapparate.

Harry made his way towards the school and the hospital wing. Even though he knew of the terrible loss that was waiting for him there, he was still unprepared for the utter chaos that greeted him.

Ron had been called back from the Burrow, and was currently trying to shield Draco and Narcissa from a very pissed off Charlie, who was apparently over his shock at the loss of Bill and was currently being controlled by his anger at the entire situation. Harry was going to have words with whomever woke him up. It looked as if Ginny was at least resting, he couldn't tell if she would make it from his vantage point. He finished looking around the room, there was no sign of Madam Pomfrey, or Professor McGonagall, but there in beds at the far end of the room, were two bodies.

Molly and Arthur Weasley.

Harry rushed into the room, oblivious to the Slytherins pleas for help. "But how? Percy only killed Mr. Weasley! But Molly was supposed to be doing better. She was supposed to be able to leave in a few weeks. How? What happened?" he questioned through his tears as he stopped in front of the beds.

Harry's shouts got everyone's attention, and Hermione came up behind him and wrapped him in a hug. "They were soul mates, Harry. Mrs. Weasley was doing better, but she literally died of a broken heart as soon as she felt her other half leave her. There was nothing anyone could do to save her. Neither would have been able to live with out the other," she explained into his chest as she tried to hold back her own tears.

It was Charlie's turn to shout. "I can't believe you let those Death Eaters in here after what one of them has done to our family!"

"Charlie, you don't understand, they were there helping. They're not who you think they are, I swear Charlie. Don't do anything you'll regret later. We've already lost enough today," Ron begged.

Luckily for everyone, five adults walked in just as Charlie was getting ready to hex the Slytherins no matter what Ron said.

"Mr. Weasley, you are to put your wand down this very instant. You haven't been gone from these halls long enough to forget that there is no hexing or cursing allowed in the hospital wing, no matter how you feel!" Snape demanded. "Now, I know you are all upset. We have all lost a great deal today, whether it be family, close friends, or long time allies is no matter. Everyone needs to calm down. We have much to discuss, as you can see, not everything was what it seemed on today's mission. Nor has it been what it seemed for quite a long time," he said, his tone demanding compliance.

"Minerva, I do believe it is your place as the next leader of the Order to explain," Severus said, trying to give her the floor.

"Oh, no, Severus, I think you have that wrong. I see no better person to lead the Order than you. After all you took over today, and even with the losses we haven't had a more successful mission since Albus passed on," she said, looking to Remus for his opinion.

"I hate to say it, but I agree," Remus said. "No one has a better temperament for the job, than you. Who better to lead us through the darkest times, than someone who has lived them himself for nearly the last two decades? You know better than anyone what we are up against, and it is time for us to truly put your knowledge to use."

Harry nodded vigorously in agreement. "You know how I feel about your spying; we no longer need you to put yourself in such unnecessary danger. We now have a way of getting even better knowledge than you could ever get us. Please, don't make me lose you too! Look at all the progress you've made with us, just a bunch of teenagers. Think of what you could accomplish with all the adults as well. We all need you here with us, not rushing off, headlong into danger," Harry said, using the same words his father had drilled into his head during their many training sessions.

Severus sighed, why oh why did he think it was a good idea to draw out Harry's inner Slytherin? Oh, that's right because his instinct was even greater when coupled with that. Just look at what he'd accomplished. He sighed again, "Oh very well. But you, Minerva, are going to explain it to the Order. I refuse to set foot near anyone outside of this room before hand, many of them would hex first ask questions later, as far as I'm concerned."

"Now maybe you should explain to Charlie how he watched me die, yet came back to dead parents instead," Bill said. Not wanting his brother to get up another head of steam. Charlie might seem laid back, but there was a reason he worked with dragons. He could hold his own against them.

"First, Narcissa and Draco need to go back to the house. I do believe we have left Lucius hanging around long enough, and he is not one to worry." Severus said.

"He's right," Hermione said. "And unless you need me, I'll go back with them. I know it all anyway, and he'll need to hear about what we found before we went into the cellar anyways. Remus can tell you all." She gave Harry one more hug, and then practically ran from the room to catch up to the mother and son.

"Very well, now, I suggest everyone take a seat. This might take some time." Severus said before he started the long tale. He started back at the beginning of the summer when he met up with Harry, explaining everything that had gone on, from everyone learning that Lucius had been a spy for Albus from Harry's fifth year, to just who he was to Harry, ending with the plan that Remus, Minerva, and himself had come up with so that the three Slytherins could help on the mission, without endangering themselves.

It took nearly an hour and a half to explain everything. Bill, Charlie, and even Remus were looking at Severus in shock, surprise, and even a bit of respect after he was finished.

The End.
End Notes:
As I said above, I'm sorry it's been so long in between updates. Real life reared its ugly head and put my Best Friend and Beta in the hospital for almost the entire month of January. She's out and much better now, but it took us a while to get back into the groove of things again. While I wish I could, I can't promise a wait like this won't ever happen again. I'm a Mother of four, and life has a habit of just happening when you least expect it around them. :) I hope everyone enjoyed the update! My husband tried his hardest to get me to cut it off at the discovery, you know the one, but I just couldn't do it. It had been so long between updates, and I just didn't have the heart to give you all any less than I had written. I’ve also got to add, that the chapter title is a nod to one of my favorite movies, and I thought it fit the chapter nicely. It not only went along with the Order Facing off with DEs, but also with the fact that four people were not whom they seemed to be. :) Thank you for reading! And as always please Read and Review.
Aery


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1317