Harry Potter and the Mysterious Metamorphosis by Aeryun
Summary: Year Seven, SS through HBP compliant (Non Deathly Hallows Compliant) Severitus. Why is Harry's appearance changing? Is he being affected by destroying the Horcruxes in the same manner that Voldemort was while he was creating them? And just why is Snape acting so weird?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Fred George, Ginny, Hagrid, Hermione, Lucius, McGonagall, Arthur, Molly, Petunia, Remus, Ron, Tonks, Vernon, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 146036 Read: 155049 Published: 06 May 2007 Updated: 10 Feb 2009
Chapter Thirty One: Close Encounters of the Emotional Kind by Aeryun
Author's Notes:
As always thank you to LovesRickman, my beloved Beta and best friend! Also, thank you to my Husband for the final once over. Any remaining mistakes are mine, and mine alone.

 

Hermione and Draco both looked at each other in fright, before dropping their cups onto the table and running upstairs after hearing a very angry yell coming from that direction. What they saw once up the stairs did nothing to quell the fright any. If anything it got a lot worse.

Standing in the middle of the hallway, was one slightly groggy, but very upset, Severus Snape. Right behind him were Lucius and Narcissa, standing in their doorway, equally groggy, as well as equally upset.

"What have you all done this time? What harebrained scheme did Harry come up with, and apparently talk the two of you into going along with, that required the three of us to be dosed with Draught of the Living Death? Where is Harry? Why is he not with the two of you? Why are you looking at each other like that? You two hate each other, and only the worst of circumstances would bring the two of you together like this. Please tell me that Harry didn't manage to get himself kidnapped, or killed, or..."

"Severus, if you would be so kind as to let them answer, we will know exactly how to punish them." Narcissa said, while giving both teens a very disappointed look.

"Harry is fine, he is just...napping. Can any of you tell me if you feel any different?" Hermione asked.

"Perhaps relieved, lighter, and with a greater sense of self? At least that is how I felt after it was gone." Draco said as he rolled up his sleeve and showed them his arm.

"Draco, son, how..." Lucius stuttered.

"Looks like I woke up just in time. Who would want to have missed out on Lucius Malfoy lost for words? I doubt it will ever happen again." Harry said from his doorway. "Go on, look at your arms as well. I know you want to, but wouldn't dare hope to see that it's gone. I promise you can all yell at me over something to eat, I'm starved. That took more out of me that I thought it would. That's part of why I had you drugged. What are you waiting for, look at your arms!" Harry exasperatedly exclaimed.

Slowly, one by one, unblemished arms were uncovered.

Harry was surprised by the honest emotion he saw in each of the three faces, his father, not so much, as he had seen more and more positive emotion from the man in the past few months. But even Narcissa had kept a mostly aloof demeanor about her, except on rare occasions. Lucius, well, unless he was berating Harry, he was a solid block of ice.

"So, was this worth getting drugged? Or do we still need to get the nasty lecture over...Hermione, what day and time is it? Just how long was I out?" Harry asked.

"It is just after eleven on the tenth of November. You weren't out of it all that long. Just a little longer than you normally sleep at night. I bet you are starved though, since you didn't eat much at all yesterday. Your aunt has been asking about you as well. She wanted you to come check in with her later, if possible, and if not, she wanted one of you to let her know how Harry was. She said she understood that everyone was busy, but she'd like a small update." Hermione explained.

"Everyone go eat, I will meet you in the kitchen after I tell Aunt Petunia what has been happening." Harry said before he started moving towards his Aunts room.

"Do not dawdle, you will be giving a full explanation, and I do not think you would like the consequences of me having to come find you on top of the punishment you will be getting from this stunt." Severus warned.

"Yes, I get it. Big, nasty punishment if I take too long. Now go eat, I'll be right there." Harry said before knocking on his aunt's door. "Aunt Petunia, Hermione said you wanted to see me?"

"Yes, come in Harry. Have a seat. I just wanted to make sure that everyone was fine. It was so quiet in the house yesterday, but I never heard anyone leave. Can you tell me what was going on?" Petunia asked.

"We're all headed down to the kitchen to eat, why don't you join us, and I will explain to everyone at the same time. Go on, I'll meet you there. I need to get a few things from my room first." Harry said.

HPHPHPHP

Harry eyed what was available to eat as he placed several things onto the table near his spot. After fixing his plate, Harry looked up to see everyone's eyes on him. Giving a longing look at his full plate, and then letting out a sigh, he started the explanation he knew they all wanted.

"Here are my notes, all taken while I experimented, mostly in my room since getting back from Godric's Hollow. This poor plant has been de-aged and re-aged so many times, I'm surprised it hasn't picked up its roots and ran from me. This kitten, used to be an old alley cat. There is a reason I left it as a kitten, I will get into that a little later. This plant is in several different stages of age. This was how I knew I could unravel time for certain sections, which is what I did to your arms. That patch of skin, where the mark used to be, is now the age you were right before you got it. In Draco's case, it's not that much younger, but in your cases, there is a slightly greater difference there. Not that a patch of younger skin is going to do much for you. Well, other than the fact that Voldemort can no long affect you through the mark, I'm sure you already feel the loss of those effects."

"What effects? I didn't know the mark was anything more than a way for him to contact us, as well as everyone being able to recognize you as a Death Eater?" Narcissa questioned.

"Well, in Draco's case, Voldemort took away part of his sense of self. Making him more pliable to do what Voldemort wanted of him, since Lucius wasn't around to help bend Draco's will. He didn't do much to either of Narcissa's or Lucius' marks, other than to add more thoughts superiority towards Muggles." Here Harry stopped and looked sadly at his father. "You, on the other hand, he did his best to make sure you didn't experience much happiness. You were very strong to over come that and enjoy your time with Mum and James, but as your actions towards Sirius attest to, if the hatred was there, the mark took advantage of that and intensified it. I have the feeling, if you think back to all your run-ins with Sirius since my third year, you will feel less hate now, than you did when it happened, or even had you thought about it just days ago."

Everyone looked stunned as they absorbed what Harry had just told them. Harry took advantage of the silence and started to eat.

"Why did you not re-age the kitten, Harry?" Hermione asked, unable to keep quiet any longer.

Harry looked embarrassed as he answered. "I killed the rabbit, when I tried to re-age it. In fact, I killed several mice and a rat as well. I found that the bigger and more complex something is, the harder it is to stop while re-aging. They tend to go too far, and once dead, I can't bring them back." Harry admitted the last in almost a whisper, as a pang of regret flowed through him as he thought of actually killing something, even accidentally.

"Would you care to explain to us, why Draco was awake while you removed his mark, but you went behind our backs and drugged us to remove ours? Did you really think we would pass up such an auspicious opportunity?" Severus asked in a suspiciously relaxed tone.

"You see, Draco fought against me as I worked the first time, and that was very draining. I figured you all would never agree to being put under while I worked, and the thought of either you or Mr. Malfoy looming over me while working on someone else, well frankly it scared me. I was afraid I'd mess up. So, I came up with the idea to drug all of you at the same time, and free you all. No chance of arguing that way. And you can't tell me that you any of you wouldn't have tried to act all noble and not have let me remove your marks. Well, you, Dad, would have been noble, keeping the mark as punishment. The Malfoy's wouldn't have let me remove it, their pride wouldn't have let them. It would have meant agreeing that they were wrong. So, you see, this was the simplest way all around. Contrary to what you think of me, I really do think things through now. I just don't voice all those thoughts up front."

Severus inclined his head in agreement. "I concede you are most likely correct. That does not dismiss the fact that you drugged three of your elders. All three of you are in serious trouble, and will have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Yes, Draco, and Miss Granger, you helped in some shape or form, therefore you will also suffer the punishment as well. You need to learn that a simple mistake in a potion can lead to a week in the infirmary spitting up hairballs. It is not safe to dose anyone without their knowledge. You never know when a potion interaction might occur if you do not know what they are currently taking. Lucius and I have been exposed to a great deal of the Cruciatus Cruse, and are on potions to counteract long term effects. You are lucky that there were no interactions from the combination of those two potions alone! I do believe seven feet of parchment on a list of the most basic potions taken daily, and any interaction they each have with any other potions, should suffice. You have a week to finish, and when you are not working on that, the three of you will be training, hard, with the three of us. It seems we have been too lax in your schooling, if you have time to do something of this nature. Once you are done eating, I suggest you get busy." With that said he turned to Petunia and ignored the disbelieving looks he was getting from the three teens. "I am to understand we have been lax in keeping you up to date as well. I apologize, Petunia, I never meant to cause you stress. What would you like to know, of course within reason?"

Harry finished eating quickly and left the adults to their conversations. Happy to be away from being ignored, it was too much like life at Privet Drive for his comfort.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

"We have an Order meeting that you are required to attend. After your most recent stunt, I would normally not allow you to come. Lucky for you, this is the first meeting that Lucius, Narcissa, and I will be attending since our true roles have been revealed. It is going to be hard enough getting everyone to believe us with you there. It would be a disaster without you, therefore you will be going. You will not be getting an extension because of this, so I suggest you use your time wisely." Severus explained from the door to the library, before turning and leaving them alone once again.

Harry starred at the empty doorway despondently. "Do you think he will ever forgive me? I thought for sure he would be at least happy, if not ecstatic, that he was no longer marked. Yet, he has hardly spoken to me, outside of training. It's like potions class except a lot worse. What did I do, Hermione?"

"I'm not sure, Harry. I don't understand why he is this upset. I would have understood him being upset like this right after the fact, but it's been five days now. He should have had plenty of time to get over his anger. I've never really understood the man, maybe you need to talk to someone that has had more insight, like Malfoy? He's known him longer and better than either of us, maybe he might be able to help you?" Hermione suggested.

Harry made a weird face while he thought about it. Glancing at Malfoy out of the corner of his eye, Harry shrugged. "What could it hurt? Hey, Mal...I mean Draco. Can you offer any advice on why Dad is acting the way he is, and how to deal with it?" Harry asked, being as sincere and polite as possible.

Draco shrugged as well, repeating what Harry had said, "What can it hurt? This is his way of making us sincerely think about our actions. He's always been this way towards the upperclassmen in Slytherin. He has said he feels that, by our age, we should be able to think our actions through and come to realize on our own what we should have done differently, and just how badly we screwed up. He has given us this time to not only do the research and write the paper he gave as punishment, but to also truly think things through with no interruptions or distractions from him looming over us. He's not shunning us. If you truly want or need to talk to him, go to him. He gave us seven full days to get seven feet of parchment written, knowing full well we had to write much more than that during school. You have time, so don't try and use that as an excuse."

"Thank you, I'll think about it. So, how much further do the two of you have left? I've only got about six to eight inches left." Harry asked, switching the subject.

Draco and Hermione looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Harry was never going to change, he would always be insecure when it came to talking about his feelings.

‘I'm surprised he's not a purring ball of fluff by now. Hmm, well maybe he hasn't changed, but at least he's gotten a little better. He'll never talk about his feelings, but at least he is handling them better.' Hermione thought to herself before she answered, "I have it finished, but I didn't have room for everything I found, and am debating on whether or not it is worth it to extend past the given amount. At least this time I won't have to read about how I've extended his grading time by hours."

Now, it was Harry's turn to join in the eye rolling with Draco.

HPHPHPHPHPHPHP

‘I can't believe I'm doing this. He's going to cut me to shreds again, I just know it. Maybe I should go back to my room and let him continue to ignore me. It's not like I haven't lasted this long without him in my life. Oh, who am I kidding? I have grown to need him. Oh, here goes nothing.' Harry thought, before finally giving in and knocking on his father's door.

"Come in." was all Harry heard from the other side. Steeling himself, he quickly opened the door before he lost his nerve, once again.

"Ah, Harry, have a seat. Do you have a question on your...assignment?"

"Ah, no, not exactly...well in a way. Oh, hell, I don't know. I just, Draco said, and I. Never mind, I'll just go now. You should have my finished assignment before we leave for the Order meeting." Harry finished with a dejected sigh.

"Harry, stop. I heard your conversation with Draco, so I know exactly what he told you. He was right, I have not been ignoring you. You wanted to be treated like an adult, so that is what I have been trying to do, to treat you as I would any upperclassmen in my house. Although, no one from my house would have ever dared to dose me with Draught of the Living Death, or at least they wouldn't have until they were locked up with Gryffindors all day, everyday. Lucius is not happy about the...effects you and Miss Granger have had on his son. Draco has picked up far too many Gryffindor traits for his parents liking. They feel he is likely to get himself killed, if this keeps up.

That is not what you came to talk about, though. Do you now fully understand how dangerous your stunt was? Not only did you test out unproven magic on us, you disregarded our feelings on the matter. We won't even mention the dangers of potion interaction, as you have had enough time to realize that danger with this assignment." Severus remarked.

Harry nodded, and then paused as he tried to gather his thoughts. ‘He doesn't look upset, and he's openly speaking to me. So, I should just tell him how his treatment isn't working for me, like it might for his Slytherin students. But, he's always favored them, even when he had me right in front of him. Yes, he had reason, but then why did he revert back to that after I messed up and it's just us? How do you talk to a parent? How do you...' "Mew."

"Oh, Harry, not again." Severus said as he picked up the little ball of fur, and started stroking his back to calm him. "You have gone and worked yourself up too much over this. Yes, I know, my demeanor did not help the situation. No, I do not hate you. You know I never did. I thought we were past this. I really do think you are too old to be coddled, but I need to remember, no matter how much Slytherin you posses, you are not one of my students. Now, do you think you are calm enough to have an actual conversation? I prefer my conversations to be more than one-sided. This is starting to remind me of teaching, and I do not think that mind frame would help either of us at this point." Severus stated, as he put the now purring Harry back in his chair.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I really wanted to come to you and have a mature conversation. I'm just not sure how to do that without being confrontational. Between Uncle Vernon at home, and you at school, well, I never had much practice.

I'd like to tell you why I did things the way I did. I know there might have been a better way to go about things, but, well...just let me explain fully. I wasn't being thoughtless. I was truly only thinking of everyone's safety.

With the destruction of the last Horcrux, I know it is almost time to confront Voldemort. I have known for a while now, that I won't be able to kill him. There is a great innocence in him, that is still untouched, and that part doesn't deserve to be condemned to death simply because someone else locked his true being away. It is almost like sentencing a mental patient to death over something they could not control. Yes, he needs to be stopped, but not killed. I have been thinking about how to go about that, and I believe I have come up with the answer. But, I am unsure how this will affect people who bear his mark or the mark period. I'd rather not turn you into squibs, or worse, kill you, if this works.

I couldn't lose you, not after just finding you and realizing what you truly mean to me. I saw and felt the grief over Mr. And Mrs. Weasley, they were almost like parents to me. At least they treated me better than my own flesh and blood had. I couldn't put anyone else through that, either. Which is why I included the Malfoys when I, uh, unraveled time around your marks. You'd grieve for them, and I couldn't stand it if I caused that.

I know you feel my testing period was rushed, and I agree, to a point. I have been working on this, since the visit to Godric's Hollow. Yes, I know it's been barely a few weeks, but I truly thought I was ready. And in my defense, I was. No one got hurt. Even the possible potion interactions didn't happen. I'll know better in the future. But can you honestly tell me that you miss that mark? I know it stained deeper than just your skin. I could feel it wrapping it's self around your very cores.

I doubt this has been as coherent as either of us would have liked, but I'd already given you the technical data. We both know my emotions aren't very coherent at all, unless I happen to be a helpless fur-ball projecting emotions to all, well almost all. I doubt I'd ever be able to open up to Mr. Malfoy.

Well, there you have it. I'm sorry. I just...well, hopefully you've understood." Harry finished, still feeling very despondent about the entire situation.

Severus sighed. "For all you have been through, you are still very young. I know that is not something you want to hear, but it is something that we all need to keep in mind. No matter the responsibility that fate has placed on your shoulders, all of us that are helping you to accomplish that responsibility need to remember that you will make mistakes. It is our responsibility to guide you, so that those mistakes are not fatal. We got lucky this time. Your luck will not hold out forever. I once again ask for your trust. This time, I hope I have earned it. Please come to me, with your ideas. We will speak alone, if that is what you wish, or need to do so. Maybe if I were not constantly in Lucius' company you would feel better about speaking with me. I will not lessen my contact with him, but I will always listen to you where you need it, if possible. Is this agreeable to you?" Severus inquired.

Harry absorbed what Severus had requested, and could not find any fault. "I believe that should be all right. Are you expecting a lot of trouble at the meeting, tonight? I thought McGonagall had already told everyone that you were taking over as head of the Order?" Harry asked.

"I am expecting more than a lot of trouble. While Moody is no longer with us, and will not be there to cause trouble, there have always been other members who will most likely never trust me. No matter the history. It is of no concern, though, their oaths will be enough to over come any opposition I might encounter, eventually. Now, you should go finish polishing that assignment. I have watched you work diligently on it. It would be a shame that all that is ruined by last minute rushing to complete it. We will be leaving in a few hours. I suspect this will be the last Order meeting held elsewhere. Now that all four of us will be out in the open in Order matters, we might as well open the house back up to meetings. It is, after all, the safest place to meet." Severus stated.

Harry stood undecided for a moment before hugging Severus', and then leaving the very stunned Severus, as quickly as he could.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1317