Connections by FoxyElvenPirate
Summary: Snape and Harry story in which they discover a special connection between them. Takes place in the first year when Harry is 11. Some chapters will contain corporal punishment. Mentor/adoption fic.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 42002 Read: 108309 Published: 09 May 2007 Updated: 21 Apr 2008
Chapter 9 - Holiday Plans by FoxyElvenPirate
  The frost on the window panes let him know that the day would be another cold one and Harry hurried to get dressed in an effort to get to the common room and the warmth of the fire. Winter had come to Hogwarts and while snow was not yet blanketing the ground, the air itself was a harbinger of what was coming.

Pulling on his robes and for once making sure they were snugly fastened instead of flapping around him half open, Harry thought about the last few weeks. After his talk with Snape, Harry had done a lot of pondering on the things that had been said. Even though no more actual dreams had occurred since the Sunday of their discussion, Harry had mixed feelings about that fact. A part of him almost wanted a dream. At least in his dream, he would know Snape would be there for him. There would be that brief moment of. . .

Of what? Harry thought to himself with a sigh. Concern? Reassurance? Caring? The boy snorted. As if Snape had been showing him any of that while he was awake. Harry had been subjected to a two foot punishment essay, loss of house points, and more lines for various misdemeanors in the time since his heart to heart talk with Snape. Granted not a one of them had been given without cause and some of his classmates had suffered punishments as well. It was just. . .for some reason Harry found himself craving more. Something different. Of course if Snape were to learn of that type thinking he'd probably just inform Harry that he was once again expecting special treatment.

Picking up his books, Harry pushed the thoughts from his mind and hurried to the common room where he found Ron and Hermione already waiting. The trio made their way to breakfast and then out to the greenhouses for Herbology.

s s s s s s s s s s

Students who plan to remain at the school during the Christmas holidays, sign below.

The announcement was on every common room notice board as well as the main one in the entry hall of the castle. Not to mention that it had been announced at the beginning of Transfiguration class by Professor McGonagall. It was only one sentence, seemingly nothing earth shattering, yet Harry Potter hated the words with a vengeance because of what they brought and what they meant to him.

"You know," the sneering voice of Draco Malfoy cut through Harry's thoughts as the young Gryffindor stood near the large notice board on the main floor. "It really says something about a person when not only does their family not want them, their so-called friends don't stay around either."

Harry had paused to check on the possibility of anyone else having added their name to the short list. He balled his hands into fists and tried to stay quiet.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Ron spoke up as he and Hermione walked up to the little crowd that was gathering in the entrance hall.

"Harry knows that we would stay if we could," Hermione piped up.

Draco snorted. "Sure you would. Admit it, Granger, family comes before friends. Well, for most people."

The blond boy sneered at Harry and went on, "You really don't have to sign every list, Potter. Everyone knows that you aren't wanted at home."

Within a moment Ron had pulled his wand and pointed it at Draco, Hermione was telling them to stop, and Harry. . .Harry was running up the stairs away from them all.

"What is going on here?" a silky voice asked as a hand clamped down on Draco's shoulder.

Draco looked up at Snape and shook his head, "Nothing, Professor."

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Then why is it that two students have their wands out and at the ready?"

"Because Malfoy is a. . ." Ron began, but stopped at the look he was receiving from the Potions Master.

"Indeed. Ten points from Gryffindor." At the look of outrage from Ron, Snape added, "And ten points from Slytherin. I do not tolerate the misuse of magic and threatening wand waving by brats who could easily blow themselves and half the castle away because they have no idea what they are doing. Put your wands away, both of you. And get to your common rooms."

Both boys glared at each other once more but stalked off as ordered, muttering under their breaths. Hermione went with Ron, leaving Crabbe and Goyle to trail faithfully after Draco. The rest of the watchers dispersed, all going their separate ways.

Once the students were out of sight, Snape sighed and headed up the stairs. Now to find the brat that he had witnessed fleeing from the scene.

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry stood at the sink, running water over his throbbing hand. Not to mention trying to regain his composure. There was no way he was leaving the bathroom until he was certain it would not be noticed he had been crying. He hated Malfoy. Hated everything about the smug little twit. Hated that he had everything. Hated that he was right.

A slow tear tracked down Harry's cheek, following the trail already made by a host of others. The boy sniffled and wiped at the wetness angrily. Crying wasn't going to help solve anything. He knew better. Had learned that lesson long ago. Of course throwing a tantrum and hitting the wall like he had hadn't done a bloody thing either, except leave him with a sore hand. Harry wiggled his fingers under the cool water and flinched slightly at the pain.

"Dry it off and let me see."

Harry whirled around, startled to hear a voice and then inwardly groaned at just whose voice it was. "Go away. I'm fine."

Snape quirked his eyebrow. "Do as you're told, boy, and come here," he ordered.

"Why?!" Harry retorted, dismayed to find himself on the verge of tears again.

Shaking his head, Snape strolled over and took Harry's chin in his hands, forcing the boy to look up at him. "Other than the fact that you were told to do so?" He gave Harry a stern look and as the boy swallowed hard the Potions Master continued, "Because I surmised by seeing you flinch that you had done something stupid again and somehow injured your hand. Now dry it and let me see." He released the small chin, expecting to be obeyed.

Grateful not to have to look at the man's face, Harry turned his attention back to his hand and slowly did as he was directed, taking care not to show any other signs that it hurt when he dried it. "How. . .how did you know where I was?" He had thought this little used bathroom wouldn't be discovered.

Snape reached for the small hand, his voice quiet, "You aren't the first boy to hide out here," he commented simply and turned his attention to Harry's hand, using it as a convenient way to help push aside memories of another dark haired boy with a tear streaked face seeking out this place as a semblance of a refuge.

"Oh," Harry let it go at that since he was trying not to whimper as Snape manipulated his bruised hand.

Frowning, Snape looked up and commented, "I  assume that you now understand that rock walls are harder and stronger than bone and flesh?"

With a slight flush, Harry gave a curt nod. "Yeah."

"Come with me, Potter." Snape didn't give another option really as he placed his hand on Harry's shoulder and steered him out into the hall.

"Where are we going?" Harry questioned as he was propelled firmly along.

"To my quarters. I believe we have some things to discuss," Snape answered.

Harry balked. "Malfoy started it!"

Dark eyes gazed down at the boy. "We will talk about it in private. Now move." A slight shove accompanied the words and Harry scowled but obeyed.

s s s s s s s s s s

"Sit down, Potter," Snape directed as they entered the Potions Master's rooms

Grudgingly obeying, Harry took a seat in an armchair and watched as Snape left the room. Maybe he should just get back up and leave, the boy thought. It wasn't as though Snape would really listen to his side of things anything. Not with Malfoy involved, the most precious Slytherian of all. He made to stand up.

Even as the thought entered his mind a voice called, "Stay put."

Darn it! Harry scowled. How did he know?

Snape reappeared and gave Harry a look. Going to the boy's side, he ordered, "Give me your hand."

Harry sighed and lifted the injured hand. "What are you going to do?"

"Attempt to fix what you caused in your childishly stupid temper tantrum," Snape answered as he uncapped a jar and begin to smooth a cream on Harry's hand.

Wincing as the cream was rubbed in, Harry argued, "It wasn't a temper tantrum. I was just upset and THAT was Malfoy's fault. Would you rather I hit HIM?"

Snape glanced up from his ministrations and quirked an eyebrow. "Would you rather have a sore backside that I certainly would not be trying to make feel better?"

Harry gulped and shook his head, but still pouted a little at the threat.

"Then do not contemplate breaking the rules by fighting. And while you are at it, take that tone out of your voice. I will not have any insolence from you, upset or not."

Staring fixedly at the floor now, Harry pouted more and held his tongue to avoid any trouble.

Giving a nod that his message had been received, Snape returned to making sure the cream was well absorbed by the small hand.

"That hurts, you know," Harry commented after a few moments as Snape persistently rubbed his hand.

"Yes, I don't doubt it. You should have thought about the pain before you hit the wall." He gently smoothed a thin coat of medicine over the abused and scraped knuckles. "This will take away the bruising and the pain however, so a few more moments of soreness will be worth it I should think."

Harry gave the Potions Master a slightly puzzled look. Why was Snape helping him? He had come and found him. . .again. And was now healing his hand. The young Gryffindor would have expected the man to have been more concerned with congratulating Malfoy for his latest cruelty rather than helping Harry. Still, they did have their bond. Was that why Snape was doing this? As his hand was released, Harry wiggled the fingers a little and found they were still sore, but not throbbing as they had been. Looking up at Snape, he offered, "Um. . .thanks."

Snape inclined his head and slipped the jar back into his pocket before taking a seat in his own chair. "Now what caused you and Mr. Malfoy to be at each other's throats again?"

"He did." Harry was immediately on the defensive at the mention of the other boy. "He's been bothering me for days about having to stay here for the holidays."

"I see. Well that isn't that big of an issue. Several students will be staying, as always. Not everyone is able to go home if their families are planning other things," Snape remarked causally.

Harry looked at the man and then back at the floor and shrugged. "I guess. It's not that I really want to go home anyway."

"Then why the scene with Mr. Malfoy?"

"Because he's a prat!" Harry snapped. "He was being all smug and saying that I didn't need to sign every list just to make sure everyone knew I was going to be around. And that. . ." Harry stopped. He really didn't want to get into the rest, especially not with Snape.

Snape sighed. "I really detest half finished statements, Potter. Go on. And that what?"

Harry's voice was quiet as he managed to get out the taunting words. "And that I wasn't wanted at home."

Snape's first instincts were to sneer and comment something along the lines of how could anyone not want the wonderful Boy-Who-Lived in their presence. But he halted himself and studied the boy. The brat's head was down and he looked the picture of a dejected child. Could it possibly be. . . ? No, impossible. The boy was just sulking because his relatives happened to not be catering to him this year. But then Potter had said that he didn't really want to go home anyway. Merely a cover up for his little fit, Severus assured himself. Still. . .

"Come here, Potter."

The green eyes looked up questioningly, but Harry left his seat and walked over to stand before his professor. "Yes, sir?"

"What else did Draco say? Surely a tease like that didn't have you bawling in the bathroom. Not when we all know your relatives would have you home to dote on you more if they could."

Harry narrowed his eyes. "You don't know anything!!" he yelled. "They DON'T dote on me! They couldn't care less about me!! Malfoy said no one wanted me. Not my friends, not my family, no one! And. . ." the boy choked on a sob and turned his back to Snape, crossing his arms, not wanting the man to see he was crying again. "And he. . .he was right," Harry whispered.

Snape sat in stunned silence for a moment. Surely the boy was making it up. Being overly dramatic and imagining things. Taking Harry's arm, he turned the child to face him once more, at first having to struggle a little to get the stubborn brat to cooperate. Then lifting the boy's chin, the dark eyes gazed into the tearful green ones.

Harry tried to pull away, especially as his face was tilted up toward Snape again. He squirmed and was glad when the Potions Master released him with a frown after staring at him for a moment. The next bit surprised him though. The hand moved from cupping his chin to resting on his shoulder and Harry felt a gentle squeeze. For some reason the little gesture did Harry in. Giving a sob, the boy buried his face in his hands. "I. . .I don't want to be the only one. L-left out again. Alone!"

Sighing deeply, Snape pulled Harry closer and patted his back. "There will be others staying, Potter. Now stop the crying. It is not the end of the world."

"But not my friends," Harry pointed out as he fought for control, feeling like an idiot while at the same time wanting to cry more. "Holidays are for two weeks. I'll be alone."

"You will not be alone," Snape spoke softly and Harry looked up at the hint of a promise in the voice. Their eyes met again and then Snape gave Harry an awkward one armed hug. "Now clean yourself up, Potter, and settle down. Things will work out. The bathroom is the first door on the left. Go wash your face."

Harry regarded his professor through a sheen of tears and then sniffed and nodded, following directions as he went to clean up. What did it mean? Why was Snape being. . .sort of. . .nice? And Harry couldn't help but wonder at the Potions Master's words of not being alone. Had he just imagined the way it sounded like a promise? Maybe he should ask. Once he was done and returned to the main sitting room, Snape was waiting for him and spoke before Harry could say a word.

"I assume that you have things to do now. I know that I certainly do."

"Well, yeah, I guess," Harry replied. So much for asking anything, Harry thought. Same old Snape. Why did he have these ideas that the man cared? Taking the words as a dismissal, Harry headed for the door. "Um, thanks, sir."

Snape quirked an eyebrow. "For what, Potter?"

"For. . ." Hmm, what was he thinking Snape for? "For not yelling at me about Malfoy. For. . .for listening."

The dark head nodded. "You are welcome."

"Bye," Harry commented before leaving, feeling in some way a little better. How or why, he wasn't quite sure.

s s s s s s s s s s

"Not wanted at home?"

"That's what he said. I didn't believe it either. But. . .there was no trace of deception in his eyes. The brat wasn't lying, Minerva."

Minerva McGonagall paced the floor of her office too agitated to even scold about the name used for the child in question. "It makes no sense, Severus. Albus left him there for a reason. Those people are his relatives."

Snape gave a snort. "Blood doesn't equal love, Minerva," he stated bitterly.

The witch turned and regarded the younger man, her voice gentle as she nodded, "I know, Severus."

"The question is, how bad is it and does the Headmaster know?"

"You haven't spoken to him yet?"

The Potions Master shook his head. "No, I wanted to talk to you first. To get your opinion. And to," Snape paused and looked at the witch. "I realize that you are the Head of his house, Minerva, but. . ."

Minerva looked at Snape. "But?" she inquired.

"But under the circumstances. . .that is, considering all that has happened. . ."

It was a hard job to hide her amusement at the younger wizard's faltering. "Spit it out if you have something to say, Severus."

Giving the woman a slight glare, Snape blurted out, "With the presence of the bond between Potter and myself, I had wondered if he should stay with me."

Even though she had somewhat expected a comment regarding the bond, Professor McGonagall found herself not entirely ready for Snape's statement. "Stay with you?" she asked, to be certain she had heard correctly.

"Yes. No. Oh bloody hell, I don't know, Minerva!!" Severus threw up his hands. "When Potter was bawling it seemed like a good idea. At least it calmed him down. But now. . .nevermind. He needs to just stay where he is. And I need to go speak to the Headmaster." He turned for the door.

"What you need to do is sit down," Minerva stated firmly. "Not to mention watch your language in my presence, Severus Snape."

The shoulders slumped slightly under the black robes and Snape looked back over his shoulder to see the older witch pointing sternly at the chair in front of her desk. With a sigh, he turned from the door and took the assigned seat, repressing the urge to flop into the chair like a petulant teenager called on the carpet. After all he had done nothing wrong. Merely offered to be nice to the brat. That was a mistake.

McGonagall eyed the dark haired wizard. "Now, we have not finished this discussion, Severus, and you are not about to drop this information on me and prance out of here."

"I do not prance," Snape muttered, but then grew silent at the look he was getting.

"As I was saying, we need to finish talking about these new developments." Withdrawing a sheet of paper, she studied it for a moment. "As of today's list, there are no other first year Gryffindor's staying for the holidays. I have a third year and two fourth years, but Harry would not know them. In other words, he. . ."

"Would be alone," Severus interrupted quietly. At McGonagall's questioning look, the Potions Master sighed and related, "He was worried about being alone. And I promised him he wouldn't be."

"I see. Then I would expect you to honor your promise, Severus."

"In other words spend the holidays with an insufferable brat who might decide being alone is better than being with me," Snape responded. He was starting to regret the moment of weakness with the boy. Why would Potter want to stay with him anyway? And why had he even offered it, for Merlin's sake? He liked his privacy! He did NOT want some snot nosed brat underfoot for two weeks.

The Transfiguration teacher arched her brows. "You are the one who offered it, Severus. Why say it if you did not mean it?"

"I. . .because!" Snape snapped, crossing his arms.

"Because why, Severus?"

Damn it! He didn't want to say, Snape thought as he clenched his teeth. "It was a spur of the moment thing, Minerva. Can't we just leave it?"

"No."

"Well, I've changed my mind. That's the end of it." Snape stood up and took a step away from the chair.

"Severus Snape, sit down!" Minerva commanded. "If you get out of that chair again before I dismiss you, you will be sorry, young man."

Snape blinked. This couldn't be happening! "I am an adult, not a child," he pointed out with a scowl at the stern witch who was glaring right back at him. Despite his words, he found himself retaking his seat just in case.

"Then act like an adult," Minerva shot back. It was time for this young wizard to start admitting a few things and Minerva McGonagall was one determined woman. "Tell me why you promised Harry he would not be alone, Severus."

"Minerva, is this really neces. . ."

"Now, Severus."

Resisting the urge to squirm, Snape folded his hands in his lap and looked down at them. Bloody old witch. He hated, absolutely loathed, this! And she knew it!! "Because I didn't want him to go through the pain. Because. . ." he sighed deeply. "Because I care. Happy now?"

"Somewhat," Minerva smirked.

"Are we done now that you have had your entertainment at my expense?"

Shaking her head at the decidedly sullen attitude, Professor McGonagall replied, "Yes, Severus, you may go. Albus needs to know about things and I will assume that you will also be talking to Mr. Potter about his new arrangements."

"Yes, I'll take care of it." Snape stood up.

Moving around the desk, Minerva walked to the door with the dark haired wizard. "This might be good for someone else who is always alone as well," she commented in a seemingly off handed manner.

Snape stopped short and looked at his colleague. "There is a decided difference in being alone at eleven because you can't help it and being alone by choice as an adult, Minerva," he stated. "Good day."

Minerva McGonagall watched Severus disappear down the hallway and then closed the door to her office speaking quietly to herself, "Perhaps not as different as you try to persuade yourself, Severus. One led to another."

s s s s s s s s s s

Harry Potter stood before the office of the Potions Master and took a deep breath before knocking. At the call to enter, he did so and closed the door behind him, looking over at the black robed figure behind the desk. "You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Yes, Potter." Snape motioned the boy closer. "I have been thinking about the incident yesterday with Mr. Malfoy."

Great, Harry thought to himself. So now he was going to be in trouble since Snape had had a chance to reconsider things. He stood waiting for the pronouncement of his fate.

"After you are done with your last class, you will be moving most of your things to my quarters. You will be staying with me for the holidays."

Harry blinked. Okay that was not what he had expected in the least!! "What??"

"Have you gone deaf now, Potter? I said you are staying with me."

"Why?" Harry asked suspiciously.

Snape sneered at the boy. "I was under the impression that you did not wish to be alone. Or did I misunderstand with all the crying and sniffling?"

Clenching his hands into fists, Harry shook his head. "No, I don't want to be alone. But that wasn't a ploy to get you to let me stay with you."

"It's a good thing for you it wasn't. Otherwise you WOULD find yourself alone," Snape declared curtly. "As it is, you have someone to stay with for Christmas, Potter."

Harry wondered briefly if the man was expecting thanks after his announcement. The boy merely nodded. "Okay."

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Okay?"

"Yeah." Harry responded.

"Mr. Potter, I just offered you an answer to your whining. If you can not show a bit more courtesy then you can do without companionship." Snape glared at the impudent boy, wondering again why the bloody hell he had ever thought this was a good idea.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said quietly. In truth he was a bit relieved to have the option of staying with someone, but the entire holidays with Snape? What would it be like? Would he survive?

Nodding, Snape dismissed the boy. "I will expect you after the last class next Friday then."

"Yes, sir." Harry turned for the door and after a final glance, he left. He still had some questions, but they would have to wait. He had to gather his things for his next class.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1318