Corvus by Fairycatcher1
Summary: A Raven looks on as Harry gets a hair cut in the back yard. This Raven is no ordinary Raven. It is Severus Snape. Sent to check on Harry by request of Dumbledore, he finds a discovers something about Harry that he never thought would happen to the 'Golden Boy'
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Petunia, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Character Death, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Bad haircut, pre Philosopher's Stone
Challenges: Bad haircut, pre Philosopher's Stone
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4424 Read: 5115 Published: 11 May 2007 Updated: 11 May 2007
Story Notes:
Looking through challenges and stumbled apon this one. Fell in love with it. Didn't mean for it to be this long. Got a bit carried away...:D Oh, this doen't belong to me at all. If it did, I would be living the rich life right now.

1. Raven by Fairycatcher1

Raven by Fairycatcher1
Author's Notes:
This story didn't seem to end for me. I was content to stop a couple pages earlier, but everything kept adding up, and well...I spent a while on this. I might come back and redo... but not soon. No one Beta'd it for me so please forgive any spelling mistakes!

A black raven watched from a tree as a horse-faced woman pushed a boy no more than 7 years old with a peculiar lightning bolt scar on his forehead out into the back yard. The raven’s eyes flashed angrily at the way the woman manhandled the boy. This was no ordinary raven as you can very well tell. This was an Animagus, whose name was Severus Snape. Severus was here by request of Albus Dumbledore, the current Headmaster of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

When the woman, also known as Petunia Dursley, went back into the house to find a pair of scissors, Severus examined the small child below him. Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived, Savior of the Wizarding World, was a scrawny, underfed little kid with a messy mop of black hair and brilliant emerald green eyes under a pair of badly dented glasses.

When Petunia came out with a pair of scissors and a electric razor, young Harry backed away and begged, “Please Aunt Petunia, I’ll make my hair lie flat, I promise! Please don’t cut it off!”

“Come here you insolent little freak! I am sick of how unruly your hair is and will tolerate it no more! It all comes off! Now come here and stand still!” screeched Aunt Petunia.

Severus watched, his temper mounting, as Harry hesitantly walked towards Aunt Petunia, only to be grabbed roughly and placed right in front of her. She began to use the scissors, cutting all his hair off, ignoring the tears silently streaming down Harry’s face and the occasional sniffle. When Petunia could cut no more off with the scissors, she dropped them, picked up the electric razor, turned it on, and began to drag it across Harry’s poor head. Harry cried out in pain as the razor cut him. Severus’ control on his temper finally snapped when Petunia didn’t stop and kept on shaving his head. He flew down and began to bite and scratch at her head. Petunia screeched, waving her hand at Severus and ran for the house.

Severus stopped his attack on her and flew over to Harry, who had dropped to the ground and was gingerly touching his head. When Severus landed by Harry, he flinched and backed away, fear in his eyes. Severus hopped up to him, and began to rub his beak against Harry's knee. Harry watched, then hesitantly reached out his hand and began to stroke Severus' head. After about a minute, Harry put his hand under Severus and waited to see if he would jump onto it.

Severus complied, and Harry carefully lifted him up until they were eye-level. They stared at each other for a bit and Harry finally said, "You are no ordinary bird, are you?" Harry smiled slightly as Severus cocked his head, watching Harry. "I don't know how long you'll stay, but during the time you stay you need a name. During class once we learnt a new word. It was Corvus, the Latin name for Raven." Harry murmured, stroking Severus' sleek feathers.

Severus was pleased with the name Harry had chosen for him. He had read about a Celtic war Goddess named Morrigan, whose symbol was a Raven. Severus let out a little coo, showing his pleasure at the name.

Aunt Petunia, who had been inside watching the whole thing, waiting for that crazy bird attack her nephew, had been surprised to see the hideous bird rub against Harry. When it became apparent to her that the bird would do no such thing, she opened the door and screeched, "You little freak! Get in here right now before I decide to tell your Uncle!" and with that she shut the glass door, mad that the stupid bird hadn't hurt Harry.

Harry looked toward the door as Aunt Petunia screeched at him. He let out a throughly depressing sigh, and said to Severus, "Corvus, I'm sorry but I have to go right now or my Uncle will be furious with me. It was nice meeting you. Thank you for saving me from my Aunt." Harry gently let Severus down onto the grassy ground. "Goodbye" whispered Harry. Severus took off, a plan formulating in his mind.

***

That night...

When the last light had been out for a good 30 minuets, Severus flew to the ground, transforming into the formidable Potions Master. Severus stealthily crept up onto the back porch, reaching into his pockets for his wand, but then stopped. He couldn't use his wand, not without the ministry descending upon the house like ants. The only option was wandless magic. He pointed at the lock and whispered Alohomara. With a soft *click* the back door silently slid open. Severus silently crept through the kitchen, about to pass the cupboard but a noise stopped him. That noise was the shifting and whimpering of a small, scrawny 7 year old boy.

Severus, trembling with rage, quickly opened the cupboard door to find Harry huddled on what looked like a mattress from a baby crib, and a worn, patched quilt. Severus cursed under his breath, furious at how Harry was treated. He gently crouched down, gently tapping Harry's arm. Harry's eyes opened up in an instant. When he saw the great menacing shadow before him he tried to stuff himself into a corner, wincing as his wounds were agitated. "I won't hurt you. I'm here to help you. It's me, Corvus." "Corvus?" Came the hesitant question. "Is it really you? Am I dreaming? How can you be talking to me?"

Severus carefully maneuvered his hands around Harry so that he could draw him out from his cupboard. As Severus did this he said, "This is really Corvus. No, you are not dreaming. As for being human, I am a wizard. I have an animal form that I can change into and it happens to be a Raven. I have some potions that I would like you to drink so that you can be healed." After Severus had positioned Harry so that he was sitting on his lap he began to give Harry potions that would help him.

Harry grimaced at the taste of the potions, but drank them all down. He sighed in relief as the potions began to heal his injuries. Severus gave Harry a Lemon Drop to suck on, thinking, at least all those stupid candies Albus is forever giving is being put to good use. He the took one of the vials and transfigured it into a thick blanket and wrapped it around Harry. Harry looked up at him with gratitude shining in his eyes. Severus carefully extracted himself from under Harry, saying, "I must go now, but we will meet again." Severus reached into his pocket and grabbed the package that he was looking for. He handed it to Harry saying, "This is a package of food. Use it when you can, and don't let your Aunt or Uncle see it. I will leave more packets like this be the tree in the back. Don't listen to them when they talk about you and your parents. They were great people." Severus just managed to say that without grimacing or sneering about James. He was rewarded when Harry's face lit up. "You knew my parents?" "Yes. I can't tell you of them right now but you will find out later. Now, go back to bed and dream." As Harry complied, he looked back and whispered "Thank you Corvus." Severus nodded to him, and Harry got onto his mattress and laid down.

Severus went into the kitchen, sat down and began to think. He knew that Dumbledore would likely scold him for doing this, but he couldn't stop himself. He thought of Lily, beautiful Lily, and how James had finally turned out to be a good man after Lily married him. Severus sat there for an hour, thinking about a great deal of things.

When Severus got up to leave, he remembered something that he had forgotten to do. He quietly made his way to the cupboard once more. He opened the door, looking down at the sleeping child. He's too young to have the Wizarding World put on his shoulders.... Severus reached down and touched Harry's head, whispering a spell. When he moved his hand, Black hair had begun to grow back. Severus nodded in satisfaction. Once Severus was outside once more, he transformed into Corvus and flew off into the night.

The next day Aunt Petunia came to wake up Harry and found that his hair had grown back , all his injuries were healed and he had a new blanket wrapped around him. Harry was locked in his cupboard and not given food for a week. Harry was content though, having the package of food and the words of Corvus to keep him busy.

***

Over the years Severus kept leaving packages of food by the tree, and always leaving a feather behind. Harry could look forward to his Birthday and Christmas, now that he actually got presents. Whenever Harry was severely injured or sick, he would always magically heal overnight, to the perplexity of the Dursley's. Now that Harry had a 'Guardian Angel', his life was much more brighter.

When Harry finally went to Hogwarts, he hoped that Corvus didn't leave. He was right. when Christmas came around Corvus had left him another present. Harry thought that Corvus was not going to help him since he was at Hogwarts. How wrong he was. Even though he didn't know it, his 'Guardian Angel' was constantly near him, watching over him. He would have never guessed that his most hated Professor was his Guardian Angel.

During the summers Corvus still left the packages of food, as with his presents. When Voldemort finally returned and the war began, Harry could still look forward to his packages of food and his presents.

In Harry's 6th year, he had finally decided that he would find out who Corvus was. Getting Hermione to help him, he looked up all the registered raven Animagi. Harry and Hermione finally came down to 2 living Animagi with the form of a Raven. One of them lives in America. The other one lives in Britain,at the very school Harry was going to.

Harry sat back in shock, staring at the page in the book. How could his most hated Professor be the one who takes care of him, giving him packages of food and presents? The one who thinks that Harry is the very bane of his existence? Harry shook his head, confused at all the things that had happened.

Hermione looked at Harry, worried about her friend. She didn't know why Harry wanted her to help him look up this, but the names that he had found had clearly shocked him badly. She hesitantly laid her hand on Harry's arm, who jumped at the contact. He looked at her, confusion in his eyes.

"Harry?" Hermione asked. "Are you alright?" "Y-yea, every thing's ok. I just need to think. Why don't you go up, I'll be there in a mo." He fell silent, his thoughts already somewhere else. Hermione got up, and with one final glance at Harry, went up to her dorm. Harry sat there for an hour, thinking about Snape had done for him, and how it made sense.

Harry finally went upstairs to a restless sleep.

The next day...

Severus sneered as his 6th year Gryffindor-Slytherin class got ready to leave. He couldn't believe how incompetent they were. Longbottom had managed to melt a cauldron again. He didn't know what he was going to do with all of them, they were so bad at Potions. He began to work on the pathetic essays the 3rd years had turned in.

Severus worked there for a couple minutes until he realized he wasn't alone. "What Potter? Not content with how much time you spend with me? " Severus sneered. Harry looked at Snape, wondering if this was a bad idea. They both looked at each other, until finally Harry said, "Iknowyou'reCorvus." In a rushed voice. "What? Potter, have you taken a babble potion and doing this as a joke?" Sneered Snape. "I know you're Corvus."

Severus froze. He hadn't expected Harry to figure it out. I really am not giving him the credit he deserves. Maybe I underestimated him. Thought Severus. He sighed, looking at Harry in the eye. "Yes, I'm Corvus. What do you want me to do? It can't be all oh-we-like-eachother-now. I have a job to do."

"I know. I just wanted to thank you. I know you're a spy for the Order..." Severus started at this bit of information. "...And I respect that. But I just wanted you to know that I appreciate your kindness. Oh, I just want you to know that I am absolutely ashamed of my father. I didn't tell anyone but Remus and Sirius. Then only because I wanted to see why my father was such a bas...something."

Severus looked at Harry, thinking that things might just work out. If they kept their masks on in public, they could meet. "you know...if you want to we could meet. It could be detentions. If...if you haven't gotten the hang of Occlumency I could help...same goes for potions." He said hesitantly.

Harry looked at Severus, his face unreadable. Then, he began to nod slowly. Harry could really use the help with Occlumency, to be honest. He had tried the books, but that only helped him to a point. The nightmares still came every-night.

Harry took a seat, and they both began to plan on where and when they were going to meet...

***

A friendship between the once fierce enemies began to form. Through many nights of training, talking, and learning Potions. Everyone began to notice at how Harry began to excel in classes, and become a more confidant person in general. Since the nightmares had stopped, he looked a ton better. All the girls went crazy(or even crazier in some cases) . But only one girl caught his attention. That girl was Ginny Weasley.

Ginny and Harry began to go out at the very end of his 6th year. They kept in touch, constantly owling each-other. The Summer went by without any mishaps. Lesser deaths were caused by the Death Eaters. The War was beginning to wind down. But on Halloween night of his 7th year, Voldemort attacked Hogwarts at full force, intent on being victorious...

Battle waged around Harry as he spun around, shooting spells at every Death Eater he could see. The younger students were currently deep underground, the house elves with them. They would lead the younger students to safety if the need arises. The members of the DA, the teachers and the Order were all here, fighting against Death Eaters, werewolves, vampires, giants, dementors, and many more sinister creatures.

After what seemed like forever to Harry, he finally found himself facing Voldemort. Harry crouched, ready for whatever Voldermort threw at him.

"So...we meet again Potter." Voldemort hissed at him, his red eyes flashing. "Though this time you wont be getting out alive. I will be victorious!"

"It's good to see you too, Tom" Harry said, smirking when Voldemort hissed at him for calling him that. "Though lets cut the chitchat...I need to study for my Exams."

"So insolent...I think I have to teach someone some manners! Crucio!" The spell sped towards Harry, who dodged the spell. Harry sent a spell towards Voldemort, who dodged the spell. As they traded spells, the fighting soon died out completely and everyone's attention was fixed upon them.

After a while Harry, greatly tired, stumbled once. Voldemort took his chance. As everyone gasped, he cast a binding spell. The Death Eaters began to cast the binding spell when they saw that their Master was victorious. They didn't meet much resilience, for their opponents attention was fixed on Harry and Voldemort. When everyone was bound, The Death Eaters stayed where they were. Voldemort signaled to two of his Death Eaters to come up. When he came nearer, Harry saw that one of them was Severus. The other he didn't know but he knew the person he was dragging. It was Ginny. Severus bowed to Voldemort, not once glancing at Harry. "Yes My Lord?" asked Severus smoothly. "I know of your great hatred towards the Weasleys... So I decided to give you first honors. Do what you want."

Severus bowed to him, telling him that it was a great honor. He walked towards Ginny and crouched down, reaching into his pocket. Harry saw that it was a vial filled with some sort of liquid. Harry also saw that gold glint of one of the many liquid portkeys that he had made for this reason. Harry hoped that Severus knew what he was doing. Everyone else was silent, to horrified at the scene unfolding to cry out.

The Death Eater that had held onto Ginny let go. She collapsed, staring at the approaching Professor with terror in her eyes. Severus bent down to her, reaching for one of his Portkeys. He sneered at her, and brought the funnel to her mouth. He made her swallow, and in a second after swallowing she winked out of site. Severus stayed where he was, his head bowed.

Voldemort walked up to him, a murderous glint in his eye's. "I don't believe that you have been truthful with me my slippery friend. Why Severus? What made you forsake me?" Severus looked up to him. Might as well tell the truth since I'm was going to die. Thought Severus. "First of all, I never was yours. I refuse to grovel to a sadistic bastard who thinks he is doing the world a great thing by 'purging' the world of its...imperfections." Severus snorted. " I could never be loyal to you." Voldemort raised his wand, fury contorting his face. "I will show you what I do to traitors...Crucio!" The spell hit Severus, but he showed no affects to it apart from a tightening of his jaw. 10 seconds stretched out...20...30...40...50...60...after about a minute of holding the spell, Voldemort canceled it. Severus swayed, panting. "Is...that all...you got?" he forced out, gasping. "The first year Hufflepuffs could do better." "Sectumsectra!" Voldemort lashed out, smirking as multiple cuts riddled Severus' skin. Severus collapsed, his blood flowing out of the cuts. Severus lay there, panting. Voldemort crouched down, and caressed Severus' forehead. "You were my favorite...I know I will miss you though you never were loyal to me. Goodbye my Snake. Avad-" Voldemort began, but was cut off when Harry's scream pierced the silence that had was present. As Harry screamed, he unleashed a wave of magic, stripping the Death Eaters of their powers and killing Voldemort.

The death of Voldemort had broken the binding spell on him. Harry ran over to Severus, tears streaming down his face. He collapsed next to him, and grabbed Severus' hand. Severus looked at him, and smiled weakly. "Don't...blame yourself...my...choice...my only regret is that...I never...got to know the...7 year old...that I had met...all those years...ago..." Severus trailed off weakly. "Never...forget...that I'll be...waiting for you...with that insufferable mutt..." Harry managed a weak smile. "I'll never forget you Corvus. You taught me so much. Though it hurts me to say this, you need to let go Sev. It's time." Severus locked eyes with Harry for a moment, the care for Harry shining in his eyes. "Loved...you...like...a...son..." Severus whispered. He took a deep breath, exhaled it, and was still. The feared Potions Master of Hogwarts was no more.

Harry laid his head down and began to sob. He sat there for what felt like forever, but in reality was only a short time. When Harry felt a hand on his shoulder, he looked up to find Dumbledore. Apparently the binding spells that had been cast had been canceled since the Death Eaters had no magic. "He was given the kind of death he wanted." Dumbledore said. "Free of Masters, and the mark on his forearm." Harry looked at Severus' left forearm. It was clean. Harry realized that when his magic was unleashed it rid Severus the mark. "You did a great thing today Harry. Let the workers take his body to prepare it for burial." Dumbledore gently pulled Harry up, and began to lead him towards Hogwarts.

The next day they held the funerals for all those who died in the battle. Molly Weasley, Tonks, Remus, Alastor Moody, Severus...The list went on. Harry mourned for all-those lives lost, but most especially for Severus. His last words had haunted Harry all through the night, not letting him get a wink of sleep. After the funerals all the children were sent home to be with their families. Harry went home with the Weasley's, since Arthur had told Dumbledore that he would not receive no for an answer when he told Albus that he would be taking Harry home with him when he was picking up his children.

At the Weasleys Harry spent most of his time with Ginny, Hermione and Ron. They shared their strength with each of them to get through the mourning. Their friendship grew because of this.

When they went back to Hogwarts, life went on. Everything was much more carefree now that Voldemort was gone. The only real changes in the curriculum was that Harry found himself teaching DADA, since Remus was dead. Also that Dumbledore was teaching potions, with the help of Hermione and Draco(Who had forsaken his family for the Light side and was on friendly terms with the Golden Trio.)

Life went on. Harry and his classmates took NEWTs. Harry, Ron and Hermione all passed, and Hermione got the highest scores of the year. Ron and Hermione had finally gotten together, and were soon married after graduation. Harry was so Happy for his two friends. Harry bought a house by the sea, relaxing and pursuing his interests.

Harry spent the year there, visiting Hermione, Ron and their new baby, Molly. He avoided any populated areas, knowing that the reporters would pounce on him and ask him questions that he didn't want to think about. He explored his Family Tree, learning about his ancestry. While he was reading a passage in a book he found about the Potter line, he saw that there was a protector of the Potter children. This person, male or female, always had black hair and matching eyes. Harry immediately thought of Severus. 

He kept in touch with Ginny, visiting her at Hogwarts and sending daily letters. Ginny went and spent Christmas with him, Ron, Hermione and Molly at his house.

Harry made sure that he was there for Ginny's graduation. After the ceremony he sought her out of the crowd, embracing her and kissing her. He then went down on his knees, and with everyone looking on, pulled out a tiny box. Ginny let out a small gasp when she saw the blue diamond winking out at her. "Will you marry me?" He asked, his eyes shining.

Ginny threw her arms around him, saying, "Yes, oh Harry yes!" Harry took her left hand, and put the ring on her wedding finger. "The blue reminded me of your eyes." He told her, smiling. She grabbed his face in her hands and kissed him, but pulled back almost immediately when the whole room started to clap and whistle...

Harry and Ginny had a quiet wedding, friends and family only. They went to New Zealand for their Honeymoon, staying there for nearly a year because they loved it so much. When they went home, they visited all their friends. When they went home they could finally relax and just be together.

One summer, in August, Ginny found out that se was pregnant. everyone was so happy for the young couple. Congratulation cards were being sent to them by the bucket load. They never got to answer all of them but made sure to answer the ones sent by close friends.

Over the months Ginny's belly got steadily bigger. Ginny and Harry began to prepare for their child. They made up a room, and filled it with toys both boys and girls would like (since they had no idea if the baby was a boy or girl.)

Finally, on April the 23rd, Ginny's water broke. Harry hurriedly floo'ed Ginny to St.Mungo's (No apparition because it could cause problems for the baby). Harry took her to the maternity ward where she was taken away by the Healers. Harry went to the waiting room, where he paced...

Harry paced around the room and once again glanced at the clock. It seemed like forever but in reality it had only been a couple hours. He knew how long births could be, but that still didn't stop his worrying. What if something went wrong? What if Ginny and his baby never came back? Harry shook his head as if to relieve it of these disturbing thoughts.

After what seemed like an eternity but in reality was only a couple hours, a Healer came out of the room where Ginny was. Harry stood up quickly, watching as the Healer walked towards him. "Mr. Potter?" The Healer asked him. Harry nodded. "Would you come with me, please?" The Healer took Harry through the doors in which he had come from, and when Harry went inside he saw Ginny holding a tiny little bundle in his hands.

Harry quickly rushed over to her and laid a hand on her shoulder. Ginny looked up at him, and smiled. "It's a boy, Harry. Look." She showed Harry their new son. He had jet black hair like Harry, but it was tame. Harry slightly frowned and looked closer at the sleeping baby. There was something familiar about him...

As if the little baby knew he was being watched, we woke up, his eyes looking at his Father. Harry gasped. He had only seen those colored eyes once, and that person was dead. "What should we name him, Harry?" Ginny asked, looking at her husband.

Harry stared right back at those black, black eyes of his new son.

"Severus."

The End.
End Notes:
Yea...I really don't like the stories where Sev or Harry die, and leaves the other alone, but I wanted to make this story seem more realistic. I still don't like it though...Oh, I'm sorry if the fight isn't very...detailed or whatever. I don't really like thos scenes and frankly, I SUCK at them. So sorry if that torture scene was wimpy(I totally agree with you if you do. I might change it later...) And NO, I don't think there should be 'Peace and War every single time.' (quoting a reviewer). I don't really like it, but I never said it should never happen. A big thank you to Harriverse for the idea of a black haired black eyed person protecting the Potters. Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1321