For The Boy Who Has Everything by Foolish Wishmaker
Summary: Voldemort is dead, but the world is going to hell anyway. Harry is forced to go into hiding as Snape's son. Little does he know, it isn't just a useful disguise.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Romance/Slash
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 189045 Read: 191447 Published: 21 May 2007 Updated: 06 Oct 2013
Chapter 21 by Foolish Wishmaker

Harry pulled himself awake with a groan, forcing his eyes open and sitting up in bed. He had woken up several times, only to be pulled back helplessly into the dream.

It wasn't a bad dream, exactly, but it wasn't a pleasant one. In it, he had been standing in a room full of mirrors, each resembling the Mirror of Erised and reaching the enchanted ceiling above Harry's head. Charmed sunlight came down in yellow beams, providing the only light.

Harry had been looking into each mirror in turn, and finding that in each one his reflection was slightly different from the others.

The details of the dream were blurring quickly. Harry blinked as he lit the lamp on his bedside table. The dream was definitely gone now.

He did recall that the last mirror he had looked into, right before finally coming awake, had shown him Hadrian's face instead of his own.

Harry walked to the bathroom, his feet aching with cold as the stone floor leached warmth from his flesh, and stared into the mirror above the sink.

The Hadrian in the dream had looked just like this, only smiling.

Harry tried to smile.

It wasn't quite right.

He had been twirling his wand in the same carefree way Malfoy had been at the greenhouses the other day. Did that mean his magic was back? Maybe that was why he was smiling.

Harry's expression was now closer to a frown.

His dreams never had been very normal, had they? At least this time it was his own mind supplying the imagery, and not Voldemort's. Maybe the dream simply meant that he would be happier having to be Hadrian if he at least had his magic back.

That made sense.

He gave his reflection another frown, then washed his face and cleaned his teeth without looking into the mirror again.

When he went to get dressed, he found all his laundry was back, clean and folded and stacked on top of the dresser. The house-elves, few as there now were, worked as quickly as they always had.

Remembering his intention to start treating his clothes better, he took the time to put everything away properly.

The clothes Snape got for him were not what he would have chosen, but he reckoned maybe that was the point. Snape either didn't think much of casual clothing, or had never bothered to notice what students wore outside of class. After buttoning what felt like a hundred tiny silver buttons on a stiffly starched shirt, Harry heaved a long-suffering sigh and covered up with a set of plain robes.

Before heading to breakfast, he pocketed the letter he had written to his friends the night before, in case he had a chance to give it to Lupin.

It was so early that the Great Hall was entirely deserted. The table wasn't set and the only light came from a single lit candelabra, the ceiling above showing an early dawn sky riddled with clouds. Most of the enormous space was shrouded in deep shadows.

Harry felt a shiver run up his spine.

He checked his watch. He was an hour early.

Well, he wasn't going to stay in the dark Hall that long, all by himself. He turned around and headed for the courtyard door. Hadn't he been planning to get more fresh air? Now was as good a time to start as any.

The sun was up over the horizon, though weak and yellowish. Tall grass swished wetly against his ankles as he came down the steps and onto the stone path.

Harry let himself breathe deeply. The air was cold and had the smell of damp earth, reminding him of the greenhouses.

When he turned to look that way, he saw the door to Greenhouse One standing open.

Neville was up, then.

Harry hesitated for a moment. It wasn't like Neville was his friend -- not as Hadrian. But he had helped Neville in the greenhouses the other day, with Malfoy. That was a place to start, wasn't it?

After another moment of hesitation, he set off at a trot toward the greenhouse.

He stopped dead in the doorway.

"Oh, it's you." Malfoy pocketed his wand and frowned at Harry. "I thought it would be Neville... though it sounded more like a herd of hippogriffs."

Harry sputtered before regaining the ability to speak. "What are you doing here?"

"Not your business," Malfoy said, still frowning at him. "But if you must know, I came to get some more plants." He nudged something with his foot, and Harry saw that the box he had seen Malfoy carrying before was on the floor. Malfoy must have moved it behind the large pots when he heard Harry coming. "I'm bringing them up to the castle."

"Why?" Harry asked suspiciously. "Wasn't Neville going to try to save them? Today, in fact?"

Malfoy rolled his eyes. "Not with that horrible Weasley woman keeping him under her thumb. I heard Lupin ask her if Neville could spend time in the greenhouses, and she wouldn't hear of it."

"Oh," Harry said, deflating slightly. "So, did he ask you to help?"

"Don't be daft." Malfoy frowned at him again. "And don't steal my idea, either. This is my birthday gift."

Harry stared at him.

"Professor Snape has a plant reviving potion. I got all the Chocolate Cosmos yesterday and a few of them are growing new leaves this morning. I even brewed a fresh batch and watered all the plants in here with it. Only don't tell, because I wasn't supposed to be in the lab. I did it while he was tutoring you."

"Oh," Harry said again. "That's..."

Not what he had been expecting, obviously.

"So, you can just butt out," Malfoy said, not letting him finish. He glared at Harry. "I took ingredients out of his personal stores, too. Are you going to tell?"

"No, I won't tell," Harry said, bristling at the suggestion, but in spite of Malfoy's rotten attitude, he couldn't manage to feel more than slightly irritated. "I already have a gift, just so you know. I only came out here because I was too early for breakfast, and then I saw the greenhouse door was open and thought it was Neville."

Malfoy sniffed. "Well, it isn't. Now be quiet so I can get this done and get back to my room before Professor Snape finds out I'm out of bed." He fixed Harry with a mocking look and added, "I'm supposed to be resting, you know."

In spite of himself, Harry couldn't help cracking a smile. "He does like to tell people what they're supposed to be doing, doesn't he?"

It felt good to know that Snape's incessant badgering was getting to Malfoy, too.

Malfoy shrugged. "My father was worse... but I hardly saw him most of the year."

Harry couldn't think of anything to say to that; he didn't want to talk about Lucius Malfoy at all.

"I'll just be going, then. You have about half an hour before breakfast."

Malfoy grunted, turning away from him dismissively. "I have a watch, you know, and a wand... and I'm capable of using both."

Harry forced himself not to react to the jab. He wasn't sure why Malfoy was suddenly so unfriendly toward him, but it didn't matter, did it? He didn't want to be friendly with Malfoy, after all. Hadn't he been trying to avoid spending more time than necessary with him?

Still...

"Why are you doing this for Neville, anyway?"

Malfoy blew a stray strand of hair out of his face and fixed Harry with a penetrating look. "You need to start using your brain, Snape."

"It's Hadrian," Harry snapped, almost automatically.

Malfoy snorted. "You don't get it. Come the new school year, Slytherins are going to be hated by the entire school, and you will be hated all the more for who your father is. If I were you, I would try harder to be friendly with those Gryffindors, too."

"Is that why you're friendly with them?" Harry demanded, outraged. He should have known Malfoy would have some reason like that.

"Maybe..." Malfoy pursed his lips. "I'm not saying being locked up in a Ministry dungeon didn't change things. If it weren't for that, I never would have thought Gryffindors could be people I'd want to be friends with."

"And now you do?"

"Maybe," Malfoy repeated. "They aren't that bad... some of them. Those Weasleys are a horrid lot, though, every last one. It's just bad luck Potter attached himself to that family. If Potter comes to Hogwarts this year, it won't matter if I want to be friends with them or not. He'll make sure it doesn't happen -- believe it."

Harry clamped his mouth shut and gritted his teeth. He had to repeat to himself several times that Malfoy thought he was talking to Hadrian Snape, practically a fellow Slytherin already and someone who had no reason to like Harry Potter or the Weasleys. However much he hated to hear Malfoy spewing insults about the Weasleys, it wasn't entirely Malfoy's fault. Harry even had to admit that Ron, Fred, and George were currently acting awful enough to deserve some of the vitriol.

That didn't mean he had to stand around and listen to it.

"Thanks for the advice," he said in as normal a tone as he could manage. "See you at breakfast."

Malfoy grunted again and turned back to the plants. "See you."

Harry trudged back to the castle. The hem of his robes was hopelessly wet and heavy, slapping against his legs. Now he would have to go all the way back to his room to change, or risk more unwanted comments about keeping himself and his clothes clean.

If he had a working wand, it would only take a few seconds to cast a drying spell.

He stopped to kick a wall.

"Having a rough morning?"

Harry jumped and whirled around.

Ginny was standing in the doorway to the Great Hall, hugging a book against her chest.

"I..." Harry felt himself reddening. "I was outside and got my robes wet, and I forgot my wand in my room. Now I have to go all the way back."

Any one of his friends would have instantly offered to cast a drying spell for him, not to mention launch into a lecture about walking around alone and wandless.

Ginny only stared at him in the same barely-interested way. "Oh."

"Yeah, well... I'll just be going," Harry said, backing up a step. "Or I won't get back on time."

"Professor Snape is very particular about that, isn't he?"

"Yes," Harry agreed. "See you in a bit."

Ginny didn't reply. By the time Harry chanced a furtive glance back, she had already gone inside the Great Hall, which was now blazing with light.


 



 

 

By the time Harry found his way out of the dungeon labyrinth, breakfast was over. He just caught sight of McGonagall and Bill as they disappeared into the staff room, the door shutting with a nerve-wracking bang behind them.

He walked slowly, feet dragging with dread, toward the table. Snape was the only one there, reading his morning mail with a cup of coffee in front of him.

Harry slid silently into a seat on the opposite side of the table from Snape.

Snape ignored him.

No food appeared in front of Harry.

Presently, though to Harry it felt like at least two hours, Snape stuffed the letter back into the envelope it had come in and dropped it on top of the rest of his mail. He fixed Harry with a penetrating look.

"Sorry," Harry said, his voice small, but echoing in the huge, empty Hall. "I got lost."

Snape's lip curled.

Harry waited.

"Draco tells me you went out this morning."

"Yes," Harry said defensively. "He was out, too."

"I never said you couldn't go out," Snape said, waving his hand dismissively as though Harry's excuse were a pesky insect. "Why did you not come straight to breakfast afterward?"

"I got lost," Harry repeated. "I just said."

"You got... lost," Snape said in a mocking tone.

"Yes," Harry said, a bit more assertively now that Snape's tone had awoken his temper. "My robes were wet from walking through the grass, and I went back to my room to change so you wouldn't lecture me about being presentable." Harry stood up and lifted up a corner of his robes, still soggy and muddy. "I never even found my room, though. I wandered around in circles until I finally found the stairwell again. I am sorry for missing breakfast, but I didn't do it on purpose."

He was rather shocked Snape had sat silently through all of that.

"Sit down."

Harry sat.

"I believe you already used that excuse once when late to a meal. Yesterday at breakfast, in fact."

"That doesn't make it any less true," Harry mumbled. "Sir."

"I suppose not. I recall you claimed to be lost when I found you wandering around rather than go up to Lupin's office like I had told you to do."

Harry felt his shoulders slumping in defeat. What was the point of defending himself to someone who had made up his mind five years prior that anything Harry did wrong had to be a purposeful act of defiance or troublemaking?

"Tell me," Snape went on, ignoring the fact that Harry hadn't replied. "Were there many other times?"

Harry frowned, not quite understanding. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, do you often find yourself lost in the dungeons?"

"Yes!" Harry quickly lowered his voice; it had come out as nearly a shout. "Of course I have. I've --"

Snape cut him off with a sudden abrupt motion of his hand. "Come with me. We shall have breakfast together, since you missed it, and you can tell me all about it."

Harry clamped his mouth shut. He knew Snape just wanted to continue the conversation in private, but his stomach ached with emptiness at the mere mention of food.

He let Snape lead him down the stairs, feeling a bit sorry for himself. Not only had he missed breakfast, but now he had to have yet another talk with Snape... and when did those ever end well?

He followed Snape inside and waited until Snape had warded the door.

"Sit," Snape said, motioning to a table in the corner. A wave of his wand brought a plate of food popping into existence in front of Harry, and another cup of coffee in front of Snape. "I haven't too much time this morning, so do not waste it with lies and half-truths, Potter. Now, do you have difficulty finding your way to my office?"

Harry shook his head. "Not if I'm coming from the stairs. If I'm coming from my room I wander around in circles, though."

"And you have difficulty finding your room?"

Harry shrugged, still a little defensive. "All those corridors mix me up."

"Even when you start at a place you are familiar with, like my office?"

Harry nodded, feeling even more defensive. He wasn't stupid, and wasn't that what Snape was implying? He was probably thinking that only a halfwit would take so long to learn something as simple as where his own room was.

"What about that time I told you to see Lupin?"

Harry tried to recall exactly what had happened. "You told me to get my books and give them to Malfoy. I went back to my room, but afterward I couldn't find the common room. Until now, I had only been there once, and that was in my second year here."

"I see," Snape said, still studying him closely in a way that made Harry's skin prickle. "Just how often does this happen?"

"Just about every time," Harry said, a little indignant that Snape hadn't listened the first time Harry had said so. "I've been lost more times since we came here than I ever was in my first year when I didn't know where anything was!"

"Then why," Snape said, sounding annoyed, "did you not say something?"

"I did!" Harry exploded. "I told Lupin! I told him nearly every time it happened! He even offered to make a map for me, only he hasn't finished it yet."

"I see," Snape repeated. He took a lengthy sip of his coffee, his eyes still fixed on Harry. "Well, this is the first time I am hearing of it being an issue, and one would think that if you were having difficulty finding your way around the dungeons, you might think to ask the person who would know something about it."

Harry burned with indignation.

"As it happens," Snape continued when Harry didn't speak, "Lupin never mentioned that you were having a problem. He most likely thought you just needed time to learn your way around. Had either of you come to me, I would have looked into other possibilities." He took out his wand. "Which I will do now."

Harry braced himself, but the spell Snape cast didn't hurt at all. It just caused a sort of light fog to settle briefly around him before dispersing.

"Hmm," Snape said. "Curious."

"What's curious?" Harry asked irritably.

"You see," Snape said, his voice easing into his familiar teaching tone. "Hogwarts has many defenses, some of them obvious and some quite subtle. We placed your room deep in the dungeons for a reason. Even a few extra minutes can help during a time of crisis, and there are defenses here that are designed to confuse and slow down intruders. Nothing obvious, mind you. Subtle enough that even trained Aurors would not detect anything amiss right away."

Harry was trying to follow along, but he was feeling terribly confused. "What does that have to do with me?"

Snape's slightly far-away look vanished, and his eyes focused sharply on Harry. "Curiously..." He drew out the word. "Curiously, Hogwarts seems to be unsure if you belong here or not."

"What?" Harry frowned. "Why would that happen? I've been living here every school year for the past five years."

"Yes..." Snape rubbed his chin. He was still examining Harry like Harry was some sort of puzzle to be solved. "I suppose your recent change could be to blame, although we did key you into the wards and that should have taken care of it. I will have to do more research before I know for certain why, precisely, this is happening."

"Figures," Harry muttered under his breath. No one ever seemed to know anything for certain.

"Meanwhile," Snape continued, "I can give you a map to use. As long as you remain very aware of where you are going, you will not get lost. It will help to say aloud which way you are going before you make a turn, for example. It is when one is not paying attention that misdirection spells are most effective."

Harry nodded, but he wasn't sure he understood.

Snape walked over to a cabinet in the corner and rummaged through one of the drawers. Returning to the table, he offered Harry a thick piece of parchment, which was folded into quarters.

Harry accepted it and unfolded it slowly.

It was not anything like the Marauder's Map. Nothing on it moved and it certainly didn't show where anyone was located. It did, however, show Snape's office, the classrooms, the Slytherin common room, and numerous corridors and rooms that were not labeled.

"Where's my room on this, sir?"

Snape summoned a quill and reached over to put a mark in one corner of the map. "Here. And this," Snape continued, putting another mark in the center of a corridor, "is the shortest way to the kitchens, which you may find useful."

Harry, for the first time, started to feel slightly optimistic. The map would help, he thought, as long as Snape was right and all Harry had to do was pay more careful attention to where he was going.

"Of course," Snape went on, "I would rather solve the problem at its root. It will not do for you to have to rely on a map all the time. Still, this should be good enough for the time being."

"Thank you," Harry said. He found he really did appreciate that, for once, Snape had tried to look for the real cause rather than just blame Harry and consider his duty done. "Er... may I write on this, if I need to?"

He was thinking it might be useful to label Bathsheba the Beady-eyed and William the Wronged, since he had come to rely on them to orient himself.

"Yes," Snape said. "I give those maps out to Slytherin students who fail to learn their way around within a reasonable timeframe."

Harry tried not to take that as a dig against him. Snape did say it wasn't Harry's own fault, didn't he?

"You may either finish your breakfast here or take it back to your room," Snape said dismissively. "Assuming, that is, that you think you can find your way now."

That definitely was a dig against him, and Harry wasted no time gathering up his plate and pumpkin juice and escaping Snape's quarters, though he did manage to thank Snape again on his way out.

Following the map, he made it to his room without incident, which did put him in a slightly better mood.

For a while, he completely disregarded Snape's warning by wallowing on his bed, though this time he made sure he was clean and took his boots off. Staring at the ceiling didn't help him forget how wrong his whole morning had gone, however, and he found himself looking for something to distract himself with.

All he could think of was studying. Snape hadn't mentioned another tutoring session, and Harry decided to assume it was canceled for the morning at least.

He opened his Charms book and forced himself to concentrate on nothing but the words on the page.

An unknown time later, he looked up and frowned. Something had pulled him out of his reading, and he was instantly on guard. There was a sound, like paper being crumbled, and it seemed to be coming from the direction of the tiny fireplace that he had not paid much attention to.

As he stared at it, there came a green flash, and then a livid red howler came hurtling out of the grate, rolling to a stop at the foot of the bed.

Harry's mouth fell open in horror as the howler unraveled itself.

What he wasn't prepared for was to hear Lupin's voice, soft and calm, come floating out of the toothy mouth the howler had formed itself into.

Hadrian, if you are not too busy, I could use your help again before lunch.

The howler tore itself into shreds and then set itself on fire for good measure. Bits of flaming paper floated down to the floor, where they cooled into a small pile of ash.

Harry stared at it for a long while.

Lupin had to know of some way to communicate with him without nearly giving him a heart attack. Why hadn't he just sent a Patronus messenger, or something? Anything had to be better than hurtling howlers through the Floo network.

With a long-suffering sigh, Harry set aside his book, pulled on his boots, picked up the map Snape had given him, and set off for Lupin's office.

At least with the map, he didn't get lost. He passed Snape's office door, but it was closed and there was no light coming from underneath it. He wondered if Snape would really take time to look into Harry's problem. It seemed to Harry that no one ever really did, even when they promised to.

He shook his head. That wasn't fair.

He knew his many problems caused Lupin an untold amount of stress and worry. Lupin didn't owe it to Harry to care, but he did anyway. If not for Harry, maybe Lupin's life would be easier and more comfortable; the Ministry, anyway, might leave him alone.

Snape, too, didn't owe anything to Harry. Hadn't Snape himself said that he had only become involved because there was no other way? His life would undoubtedly be less complicated without Harry around.

These thoughts were downright depressing. They just confirmed again what he already knew; no one owed him anything, he belonged to no one, and everyone would be better off if they weren't saddled with him.

He knocked on Lupin's office door.

It was a while before Lupin answered, and when Harry walked inside he was sure he could still observe a faint green glow in the fireplace.

He sighed as he settled into the seat in front of Lupin's desk. Clearly, Snape and Lupin had been discussing him again, and that was why Lupin had called him in.

"I do apologize for the howler," Lupin said, sitting down behind his desk. "It was quick and would self-destruct. Since you can't use your wand at the moment, I thought it was the easiest way."

"Oh," Harry said, grudgingly accepting that explanation. "Why didn't you send your Patronus?"

Lupin hesitated and his smile faltered. "My Patronus? Well, Harry, you know that bit of magic can be quite tiring. To be honest, I didn't feel up to casting it."

Harry peered at Lupin suspiciously. He just knew Lupin was holding something back. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Yes," Lupin said. "But let's not talk about me. I heard you had another misadventure this morning, and Professor Snape tells me your difficulty finding your way around the dungeons may be due to some of the wards down there. I apologize for not thinking of it. I did know about the extra protections on the dungeons, but it never occurred to me that you might run afoul of any of them."

"S'all right," Harry said, shrugging. "Professor Snape gave me a map to use for now. But," he added quickly, "I do still want the one you were going to make, if you don't mind."

"Of course," Lupin said. "Well, is that why you didn't make it to breakfast? We were all worried..."


 



 

 

"And then I made a fool of myself in front of Ginny," Harry finished glumly.

"Hmm," Lupin said, rubbing his forehead. "It does sound like you had a difficult time this morning. May I ask why you were up so early?"

Harry opened his mouth to launch into an account of his odd dream, but at that moment the door banged open and Snape walked into Lupin's office. He shut the door behind him and warded it.

"What is it, Severus?" Lupin asked, looking at Snape intently. "Did you discover something?"

"Perhaps," Snape said. He set down two goblets that were very familiar to Harry. "Did you bring his old wand?"

Lupin took a bundle out of his pocket and placed it on the table next to the goblets.

"What's going on?" Harry asked suspiciously. "I thought I couldn't take any more potions?"

"I have a theory," Snape said, looking down his long nose at Harry. "I would prefer to test it prior to your birthday, as it may be impossible to get an accurate result after that time."

"But what about my magic?" Harry protested, looking between Snape and Lupin. "You said --"

"Think about it this way," Lupin said placatingly. "Depending on the results, you may be able to see your friends on the 31st after all."

Harry, who'd had just about enough of this flip-flopping between what he could and couldn't do, didn't see this as much of an incentive to risk prolonging his inability to use magic.

"Drink," Snape said, pushing the silver goblet toward him.

Harry considered refusing. Just for a moment.

He was so used to the creeping feeling by now that he barely twitched until it was over, only scratching an itchy spot on his nose once. He squinted around the suddenly blurry room.

"Sorry, I forgot your glasses," Lupin said. "But you won't be like this long... will he, Severus?"

"No, not long," Snape agreed. He held something out to Harry. "Take your wand."

Harry grasped the familiar handle.

A buzz of magic rushed through him, setting his heart racing.

"Try a simple charm," Lupin suggested.

"Lumos!" Harry said happily, giving the wand a wave.

A blinding burst of light erupted from the wand, engulfing all of them and making Harry throw up his arm in front of his face.

The light was almost loud, if that were possible. Harry's heart was pounding in his ears as he struggled to keep his eyes shut and the searing light out of his head.

Through the roar, he heard Snape cancel the spell.

"Finite!"

Harry lowered his arm and blinked. The room had gone dim, but there was a scorched, smoky smell that hung in the air.

"I..."

"Try this feather," Snape said, placing a large white feather in front of him. "With less erratic wand-waving this time."

Harry nodded, swallowing, and tried to hold his wand steady.

"Wingardium Levi--"

The feather hit the ceiling before Harry completed the spell. Fluff rained down around him, flying into his open mouth and sending him into a coughing fit.

"Drink," Snape snapped at him, shoving a goblet into Harry's free hand even as he -- or maybe Lupin -- extricated the wand from his grasp.

Harry drank, only realizing it was a potion after he had swallowed most of it.

The creeping feeling was back, and so was the itch on the tip of his nose, which was Hadrian's nose once more.

"Is that --" Harry had to stop as another cough cut off his voice. "Is that what was supposed to happen?"

"Of course not," Snape said. His arms were folded across his chest and he was scowling at Harry as if everything was Harry's fault. "But it was what I expected might happen. It also suggests that we are correct in our assumption that everything will sort itself out after your birthday, and continued use of the potion will make no difference."

"What does that mean?" Harry asked flatly, looking at Lupin for an interpretation.

"It means you can have your birthday party if you want," Lupin said. "You can take the potion without worrying about any effects."

"That isn't what you said before," Harry said peevishly. "First you say I have to stay off the potions. Then you say I can take them. Why don't you make up your bloody minds?"

The next moment he found himself being hauled out of his seat by the arm.

"Go to your room and stay there until I have time to deal with you," Snape snarled into his ear. "This is an appalling way to behave, especially after the time and energy we have spent trying to get to the bottom of your problems. Ungrateful brat."

Harry wrenched his arm out of Snape's grasp and practically flew out of Lupin's office.

A few minutes later he was sitting on his bed, his back against the wall, staring dejectedly at his closed bedroom door.

Stomping down the staircases and through the dungeon corridors had melted off his anger, leaving him feeling hollow. He wished he had kept his mouth shut. It wasn't like he wasn't used to being told one thing one day and the opposite the next. That was the normal state of things. He really shouldn't have blown up at Lupin, anyway, after Lupin had patiently listened to all his complaints.

It was all Snape's fault. Him and his bloody experimental potions.

After a while, Harry stirred from his spot and went to get one of his textbooks. If Snape was coming in to yell at him, he wasn't going to get the satisfaction of seeing Harry sulking, and have one more thing to berate him for.

With a sigh, he forced himself to focus on Transfiguration theory.

A soft knock brought him out of his reading. He frowned -- that wasn't like Snape at all -- and checked the time. It was near the lunch hour, so Snape had kept him waiting for nearly two hours.

"May I come in?" Lupin's voice called through the door.

Harry jumped from the bed and pulled the door open. "Sorry, Professor, I was reading."

Lupin looked past him at the book lying face down on the bed. "Transfiguration? Your father tells me you made good progress in the subject."

"Did he?" Harry asked suspiciously.

"Yes. He was unusually generous with his praise, as a matter of fact."

Harry took a few steps back, letting Lupin come inside. He watched Lupin ward the door.

"Did he?"

"Yes," Lupin repeated. "And you should know I think you have been incredibly patient and compliant through some very challenging --"

"You don't need to rehearse everything you say to me, you know."

Lupin cut his speech short with a sigh and sat down at Harry's desk. "Sit, Harry."

Harry sat down on the edge of his bed, resisting the desire to pick up his book and hold it against his chest like a shield.

"I'm not here to yell at you or punish you. I don't believe Professor Snape will, either. We both realize how stressful it's been on you to have your magic fail you when you feel you need it to protect yourself and others around you."

Harry thought that was still rehearsed, but he was willing to let it go. He nodded.

"Realize this. If you had stayed at the Dursleys for the summer, you might never have learned that anything was wrong. You would not have been allowed to use magic, of course, and by the time you came to Hogwarts there would have been no reason to think anything had ever been wrong. Do you see that?"

"Sure," Harry said. He kicked the bed with his heel. "Assuming my magic actually comes back like you say."

"I'm perfectly confident that it will, and I always have been. Your magic is right there --" Lupin reached over and patted Harry over the heart. "Just the same as before. Usually, in cases like this, it is more clear what the cause is. As usual --" Lupin smiled lopsidedly at him. "You've managed to be unique."

"I don't know what you mean. I've never even heard of something like this happening."

"It can," Lupin assured him. "Magical illnesses, broken contracts, magical or emotional overexertion, potions, curses --"

"All right," Harry said. "Fine. So, why don't you know why it happened?"

"The fact of the matter is, a number of things have happened to you that could have been to blame. You yourself stated that you don't know when precisely your magic began to fail. Not to mention, the effect does not always immediately follow the cause."

"Oh," Harry said, not too sure he understood.

"It could easily have been your experience with Voldemort. It altered you -- just look at your forehead if you need proof of that."

Harry rubbed his forehead without meaning to. He still wasn't quite used to feeling smooth skin where the scar used to be.

"The potions, of course, could have been the cause, which is why Professor Snape did a thorough check."

Harry grimaced. He wasn't willing to completely discard the thought that Snape might have done this to him, intentionally or not.

"We now think, however, that it is related to some charms placed on you by your mother."

Harry stared at him. "What charms?"

Lupin hesitated a fraction of a moment. "She feared for your safety, of course. You know that. She placed some charms over you when you were a baby. Over the years and as your magic developed, the charms and your magic merged and mixed, until they could hardly be distinguished."

"Go on," Harry prompted when Lupin showed signs of stopping.

"Simply, the charms were not meant to last forever. Such charms tend to wear off at the child's majority. You, however, have experienced unusual levels of magic, both directed toward you and cast by you, and the charms began to degenerate early. We suspect they won't last past your birthday, failing one year earlier than they should have. You see, Harry, birthdays are more than just special days for sentimental reasons. For wizards, birthdays have magical implications. Each one is a sort of magical milestone on the path to becoming a full wizard."

Harry mulled this over. "So... so, these charms. Why would they affect my magic?"

"With the charms failing, your magic is having a difficult time finding new pathways through which it can be channeled. In fact, all this fluctuation seems to be the reason Hogwarts' own wards have been turning against you. Having you physically change into Hadrian hasn't helped matters any. Your magic needs time to adjust to you being just you."

"How long will that take?" Harry asked, frowning. It made some sense... maybe. He just wished he could have Hermione explain to him.

"Unfortunately, it won't happen until the charms are completely gone. Do you see now why we asked you to be patient until your birthday? If the charms fail as we expect, there will be nothing interfering with your magic. Then it will be simply a matter of selecting the right wand and some focusing exercises. Nothing you haven't been doing already."

"Well, all right," Harry said, slowly. "I already knew I would have to wait. I would just rather know what's going on, and not be yanked about like a rag doll."

Lupin's smile turned a bit strained. "Believe it or not, Harry, we do try to give you as much of the truth as we believe we are able to without risking harm to you, ourselves, or others. I know it doesn't always seem fair, and I will be the first to admit we make mistakes sometimes, but we do not keep you in the dark out of spite."

"I know that."

Lupin didn't reply.

"Is Sn-- Professor Snape coming to talk to me?"

"No. I thought we could walk to the Great Hall together."

Harry breathed deeply. He would have rather have a bit of time by himself, to digest everything he had just been told, but going with Lupin would save him a solitary walk through the dungeons.

Just as Lupin reached for the door, Harry remembered he still had the letter he had written to his friends.

"Professor --"

Lupin paused with his wand nearly touching the door. "Yes?"

"I wrote this note to my friends -- Ron and Hermione and the rest. It just says I won't be coming to Neville's tea. Is there any way you could give it to them?"

Lupin looked at the note Harry was holding out. "I don't see why not. Do you mind if I put it in an envelope?"

"You can even read it," Harry said, not caring. "I just thought it might be all right."

"I'm sure it's fine," Lupin said, taking the note and pocketing it. "I think writing to them is a very good idea, as long as you're cautious about not revealing things you shouldn't have any way of knowing."

"I will be," Harry agreed quickly, his mood soaring. "You can read all of them. I really don't mind."

Lupin smiled and tapped the door, canceling the wards. "Come on, we don't want to be late."


 



 

 

Harry settled into a seat opposite from Snape. He could feel Snape's eyes on him, but didn't look up.

Slowly, the table filled and conversations started up.

Malfoy was on Harry's left, and passed him the butter dish, muttering under his breath, "Did you tell?"

"No," Harry muttered back, offended. "I said I wouldn't, didn't I?"

Malfoy ignored his tone and looked satisfied. "Sorry I snapped at you earlier. I wasn't having a very good morning myself."

Harry chose not to answer. Anyway, Snape was looking their way with narrowed eyes, though Harry was sure he couldn't have overheard what they were saying. It was safer to duck his head and stuff his mouth full of roast potato, carrots, and sausage.

"How is the hospital wing coming along, Molly?" Lupin asked. "I haven't had a chance to stop by."

"No need at all," Mrs. Weasley said. "You have plenty to do already. The boys will be finishing today, isn't that right, Ron, Fred, George?"

Harry forced himself not to look up, but he was sure the three of them had nodded, because Mrs. Weasley went on.

"I'm afraid I've decided to keep the rest of them indoors today, but thank you for your offer on Neville's behalf. Perhaps later this week. After the chill they caught, I simply don't want them outdoors until they're stronger. I know it's summer, but the weather hasn't been as warm as usual."

"I understand," Lupin said. "We're grateful to have you watching over them."

"It's the very least I can do," Mrs. Weasley said. She sounded a bit choked up. "Arthur and I..."

"Don't start that, now," McGonagall interrupted gently from the other end of the table. "You both have been a much greater help than you are willing to accept credit for."

Mrs. Weasley sniffed behind her napkin, and fell silent.

Harry tried to focus on the other conversations around him, but his mind kept wandering back to what Lupin had told him.

He couldn't help wondering what sort of charms his mother had placed on him. He knew she had been brilliant in Charms, of course. That had been one of the first things he had learned about her. He wasn't surprised she had known how to cast charms that would last for years, and wouldn't wear off even after her own death.

It was funny, really. He was again reminded of how little he knew about her, even compared to his father. He didn't know nearly enough about either of them, but he had got to know so much more about James, what with Snape's Pensieve and all the things various people had told him over the years. Yet, if he really thought about it, everything came back to Lily, didn't it? It was her sacrifice and her protection that had allowed him to survive Voldemort's first attack. Had the charms had something to do with that? If so, he couldn't very well be terribly upset that they ended up causing him some problems years later, could he? It wouldn't be right.

"Eat."

Harry jumped slightly. He hadn't realized he hadn't taken a bite of his food in a while.

Snape gave him a warning glare, spooning more vegetables onto his plate before doing the same to Malfoy's.

"Thanks," Harry said. Then he stuffed his mouth full again, hoping to avoid further conversation.

"I hope you don't mind if we keep your tutoring session short again today?"

Harry shook his head, swallowing. He wouldn't mind canceling it altogether. "I don't mind."

"In one hour, then. My office, as always." With that, Snape banished his own empty plate and stood from the table. "Until then, I will be in my lab."

Harry watched him leave. He didn't entirely trust what Lupin had said; Snape wasn't one to just let things go, and he had promised to deal with Harry later. Whenever those words had come out of the mouths of Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon, there always was a 'later' and it never was pleasant.

Harry finished his meal and watched as the others dispersed, Mr. Weasley leading his eldest sons toward the staff room, McGonagall disappearing into one of the antechambers, and Neville trailing miserably after Mrs. Weasley as she herded her charges toward the main staircase.

Malfoy elbowed Harry in the ribs.

"What?" Harry hissed under his breath, glancing in Lupin's direction.

Lupin was at the other end of the table, examining some books McGonagall had left for him. He wasn't looking their way.

"You can share with me, if you like."

"Share what?" Harry asked. Malfoy's tone of benevolence tinged with superiority rubbed him the wrong way.

"My gift, of course. I did all the hard work, but you can lug all the plants back to the greenhouse, and we can consider it even."

Harry stared at him, but Malfoy seemed completely serious... and completely unaware he was being a prat.

"I have my own gift, like I told you," Harry finally said, managing a civil tone. "But let me know if you need help with yours."

"Suit yourself." Malfoy shrugged, then stretched and breathed in deeply. "Professor Lupin?"

"Yes, Draco?" Lupin said without looking up. "Do you need me to walk down to the Slytherin common room with you?"

"I would like some fresh air, actually," Malfoy said. "Do you think Professor Snape would mind if I went for a short walk?"

Lupin closed the book and looked at him, frowning slightly. "If it's a very short one, I don't see why not. Take Hadrian with you... he could use some fresh air."

Harry's mouth gaped in protest, but Lupin missed it, having bent down to gather the books.

"Come on," Malfoy said impatiently, tugging on Harry's sleeve. "A very short walk it is, so let's get started."

Harry followed him, feeling irritated and resentful.

Leave it to Lupin to somehow misinterpret the whole bloody thing. Lupin, who seemed to have made it his life goal to be liked by as many people as possible, clearly didn't understand that Harry might not want Malfoy for a friend, even if other prospects were slim at the moment. Lupin had heard them whispering, likely put it together with what Harry had said earlier about running into Malfoy in the greenhouse, and concluded that the two of them were going to work in friendship and collaboration on Neville's gift. Obviously.

"What are you snorting about?" Malfoy demanded, stopping to look back at him.

"Nothing," Harry said quickly. "Just thought of something... er, amusing."

Malfoy wrinkled his nose at him, then started walking again. "It's very unbecoming. Very low class."

Harry glared at the back of Malfoy's head.

They walked in silence for a while.

"Do you remember the advice I gave you? About not picking Slytherin if you have a choice?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, I remember."

"I think you would fit in better in some other House."

"Because I'm low class?" Harry demanded indignantly. "Or because my mum was Muggleborn?"

"No --" Malfoy whirled on him. "I didn't say a thing about your mother."

Harry allowed himself to calm down slightly. He had just recalled that he didn't even want to be in Slytherin. "Why, then?"

Malfoy started walking again, not looking at him. "I thought about what I said this morning, and I was wrong."

"What about?" Harry said suspiciously. Malfoys didn't admit to being wrong without some ulterior motive, did they?

"Well... about why you should want to be friends with Gryffindors, I suppose. Or why I would want to." Malfoy kicked a loose stone down the courtyard path. "See, when I first got to Hogwarts I thought all the other Houses were inferior, and that anyone who didn't want to be in Slytherin wasn't worth knowing."

Harry remembered that quite vividly.

"When it turned out every other House thought Slytherin was the bad one, it made me furious. Even worse was Potter going to Gryffindor and choosing to be friends with Weasley instead of me. That's when I learned Slytherins couldn't be friends with Gryffindors. The other Houses liked Gryffindor better than Slytherin, so of course we couldn't be friends with them, either. That's where it all started to go wrong, I think."

Harry squirmed uncomfortably.

"Because," Malfoy went on, "pretty soon anything Gryffindors stood for had to be the wrong thing, see? I think..." Malfoy trailed off, slowing down so that Harry nearly walked into him.

"What?" Harry asked, stopping.

"I think I would have joined the Dark Lord. Sooner or later."

With that, Malfoy suddenly sped up again, leaving Harry standing in the middle of the courtyard, sputtering.

When he regained his senses, he took off after Malfoy.

"Hold on --" Harry caught the greenhouse door before it could slam shut in his face. "You can't say things like that and just run off."

Malfoy ignored him.

"What does that even mean?" Harry stopped right in front of Malfoy, who was pretending to be busy pulling a dried out plant out of its pot.

Malfoy brushed a loose strand of blond hair off his face, leaving a streak of dirt in its place. "You got to sit the war out, so it's not like you have any idea what you're talking about."

Harry swallowed a retort. Malfoy was right, and he was probably teetering close to revealing himself simply by his strong reaction.

"There wouldn't have been a Slytherin who didn't join. That's just the truth. My whole family was in. My friends would have joined. There wouldn't have been one person I cared about left in the world who wasn't in." Malfoy sat back on his heels, the dead plant trailing dirt over his robes. "If it hadn't been for your father, I wouldn't have even had anywhere to go after the Ministry was done with me. But I wasn't going to stay... I'd thought he was just a Death Eater who'd got away with it, like my parents."

"You weren't too thrilled when you found out he was in the Order of the Phoenix."

"Why would I be? What guarantee did I have they wouldn't do worse than the Ministry?"

Harry bristled, thinking about all the people he knew who were in the Order. They were nothing like the Ministry and nothing like the Death Eaters. Hearing Malfoy casually compare them made his skin crawl, and he really didn't fancy trying to see things from the side of Voldemort's supporters.

"I'm still not sure about them," Malfoy continued. "Your father's all right, though. I haven't decided if I can stay or not, but at least now there's some choice about it. I told you that Slytherin is despised by the rest of the school, and I'm not staying here if it's going to be two years of being bullied. I thought I'd see it through the summer."

"What, you'll stay if those Gryffindors still want to be friends when school starts?" Harry just barely kept himself from glaring at Malfoy. Those were his friends Malfoy was all but admitting to using for his own gain.

"Luna's in Ravenclaw," Malfoy said, maddeningly. He seemed blithely unaware of anything being wrong. "And, anyway, I'm not forcing anyone. I gave them all a good chance to cut ties, but Gra-- Hermione, wouldn't take the hint. Stubborn, that one."

Harry opened his mouth, not even sure what exactly he was going to say, but he was interrupted by the arrival of a silvery mist that swirled and danced around them until it had formed into a dainty, long-legged doe.

"That's your father's," Malfoy said. "I've seen it before."

"Return to the castle," Snape's voice rang out hollowly from within the glowing Patronus. "At once."

"So much for my short walk," Malfoy said bitterly, dumping the dead plant out of his lap and standing. "Well, come on."

They made their way back to the castle, where Snape was waiting just inside the doorway. He looked down his nose at Malfoy first.

"Return to your room and rest. You look pale."

Malfoy swerved around Snape and took off for the dungeons.

"Professor Lupin told me I could --" Harry began defensively as Snape turned slowly toward him.

"Nevertheless," Snape interrupted, "I expected you to keep our appointment. Tardiness is a vile habit, and I intend to break you of it before the school year begins."

Harry sighed and gave up, following Snape down the corridor in silence.

He couldn't help thinking that the list of things Snape intended to change was growing longer each day. Between his inadequate study habits, his inability to keep himself and his room clean to Snape's satisfaction, and now tardiness, it would be shocking if any part of him remained unbroken by the end of summer. Snape, after all, didn't seem to think there was any part of Harry that was fine the way it was.

Snape held open the door to his office, forcing Harry to squeeze sideways past him to get inside.

"As you don't have your books, we will have to make do with what I have here. Look on the fourth shelf and bring the book with the red leather cover to my desk."

Harry went to look for the book, while Snape settled behind his desk, never taking his eyes off the back of Harry's head. Harry, not for the first time, wondered if Legilimency could be done through his skull instead of his eyes.

The book was in the center of the shelf, but Harry started looking from the side, buying himself some time to take a few deep breaths.

"You will, of course, let me know immediately should you learn that Draco is... up to something."

Harry turned around slowly. "Like what?"

Snape's expression turned even more displeased.

Harry hastened to tack on, "Sir."

"Such as sending unauthorized owls, leaving the grounds, disappearing into rooms or passageways to which the adults entrusted with your safety do not have access --"

Snape might have gone on, but the arrival of an owl with the post interrupted him.

"Read the book until I have time for you," Snape said, taking the letters from the owl and disappearing behind a long scroll of parchment that unrolled itself and floated in the air over the desk.

Harry retrieved the book with the red cover and tried to read the introductory chapter, but he just couldn't focus. His eyes started wandering around Snape's office, finally coming to rest on a stack of books sitting on a small table just to the right of Snape's desk. At some point they must have been covered with an ornate cloth, but it had slipped and was now puddled on the floor by the table's single claw-footed leg.

He vaguely recognized them as the books Snape claimed had come from the Malfoy library.

The books wouldn't have interested him if not for the fact that two of them were open to pages containing some of the most gruesome illustrations he had seen -- even in Moste Potente Potions in the Restricted Section -- and the illustrations showed what was unmistakeably werewolves in various stages of torment and death.

A shiver ran up his spine. He couldn't help recalling that Snape had practically snatched the books out of Lupin's hands the other day, not wanting him to see what they were about.

He tried to calm himself by forcing himself to remember that in his third year he had thought Snape was poisoning Lupin, and how did that turn out?

"Are you even capable of doing as you are told?"

Harry jumped, but on glancing up he realized Snape wasn't even looking at him, and didn't appear to have noticed him looking at the books.

"Sorry, sir," Harry said, and tried his best not to look in the direction of the small table again.

Somehow, in spite of being in Snape's office and in spite of all the mixed-up thoughts running through his head, Harry got lost in the reading. When he came to the end of a chapter, he looked up and found Snape watching him with an oddly curious expression, which Snape immediately wiped off his face.

"I'm pleased that you are applying yourself, for once," Snape said. "I did not expect you to read more than a few pages before complaining of boredom."

Harry looked down at the book. He had read two chapters without realizing it.

"It's a pleasing turn of events," Snape continued. "Although I will reserve judgment until we see if any of it has stuck."

Harry sighed a little and prepared himself for some sort of test.

"However, our time together is at an end. Unless there is anything else you would like to tell me...?"

Harry bit his lip, only half-decided whether he should be telling Snape this. "Er..."

Snape's eyes narrowed. "Go on."

"Well, about Malfoy. This morning he was talking all sorts of nonsense about how he would have joined Voldemort eventually and how he's afraid he'll be bullied for being in Slytherin this coming year."

Snape let a few silent moments go by. "Hmm."

Harry shrugged defensively. "You said to let you know, and I just thought of that."

"You haven't told me anything I don't already know. Most Slytherins would have joined the Dark Lord, either because their families did or because their friends did, if not because they themselves supported his cause. It was the same this time as it was last time." Snape sniffed irritably. "More stays the same than changes, Potter. It's a lesson few learn in time to benefit."

"That's what Malfoy said. He said he would have joined because there wouldn't have been anyone left that he cared about who wasn't a Death Eater, and all the people he hated would have been on the other side." Harry frowned, thinking of his father and Sirius. "Is that how come you joined Voldemort?"

He thought he had overstepped badly. Snape's face twisted into an ugly expression and he broke eye contact.

"Sorry, sir," Harry said quietly. "It's not my business, I guess."

"No, Potter, it isn't," Snape snapped. He stood up and paced aimlessly, agitatedly, behind his desk before catching himself and sitting back down. "I believe we are done here. You are free for the remainder of the afternoon, though I suggest you continue to study as you have been. I may not have time for your potions lesson tonight."

"Oh," Harry said, disappointed that Snape wouldn't answer his question, but not disappointed at all about a possibly canceled tutoring session. "All right."

"Do try to stay out of trouble," Snape said, his voice taking on even more of the usual tone he used when speaking to Harry. He flicked his wand and unlocked the door, causing it to swing open. "I will see you in a little while, Hadrian."

"Right, Dad," Harry said obligingly. It was starting to be a little easier, and the word no longer felt wholly alien on his tongue. "See you later, sir."

Snape made some sort of grunt in reply, but by then Harry had already stepped out of his office.

He forgot all about the map until he had managed to get turned around somewhere. Huffing in frustration, he unfolded the map and tried to figure out where he was, but nothing around him looked like any of the rooms or corridors that were labeled. He took a few random turns, and then there was the stairwell in front of him.

He was just about to examine the map again for the best way to get to his room, when he heard voices filtering down from upstairs. Without much thought, he pocketed the map and hurried up to the Entrance Hall.

"Hadrian," said McGonagall. "Please help Professor Trelawney up to her tower. Sybill, this is Hadrian Snape, who has come to stay with his father and will be starting Hogwarts in his sixth year. Hadrian, Professor Trelawney teaches the subject of Divination."

Harry couldn't help noticing that McGonagall's lip curled slightly in disdain as she said, 'Divination', and stifled a smile. "Good afternoon, Professor."

Her eyes, huge behind her glasses, looked him up and down. "Thank you, dear. I hope you will be taking my class come fall?" And she launched into a flowery account of the subject, even as Harry started to pick up her two large suitcases.

They went up the main staircase, Harry carrying the suitcases and Trelawney a teetering stack of small packages and boxes. She never paused speaking, and Harry was forced to make noises that he hoped would pass for interest, while doing his best to tune her out.

They had stopped to wait for the stairs to move into the proper position at the second floor landing when it happened. Harry had stepped onto the just-arrived stairs, only to turn around when he realized Trelawney was no longer at his side.

It was as though time was suddenly crawling and everything was happening in slow motion.

The boxes Trelawney carried fell out of her arms as she lowered them limply to her sides. They thumped down the stairs, tumbling and spilling their contents and creating so much noise that between that and Harry's drumming heartbeat he could not hear anything else above the din.

Trelawney was speaking. Her eyes were glassy, telling Harry at once that she had fallen into a trance. Her mouth was moving, but Harry couldn't hear her -- he couldn't hear a word.

He dropped the suitcases and leaped down the steps, trying to block out the sound of the falling boxes and his own footsteps. He focused on her moving lips and her glazed, rolling eyes.

He reached her only in time to hear her final words.

He shall return as the twelfth month dies...

Harry froze in horror.

"What is going on here?" Lupin's voice cut in. Lupin was running toward them from the direction of his office, wand out.

... his most... servant will rejoin... the most ancient..."

Harry strained to hear, but couldn't. He had now leaned so close that Trelawney's breath rasped against his ear.

... black... ancient power... great sacrifice... He shall return as the twelfth... month... dies...

Lupin took in the scene in front of him and slowly lowered his wand, even as Harry was helplessly aware that Trelawney's trance had been broken and she was blinking confusedly at both of them.

He had missed it.

She had prophecised once before, and that prophecy had come true in a horrible, horrifying way. Now she had made another. And Harry had missed it.

"Hadrian?"

With great effort, Harry forced himself to answer. "Professor Trelawney dropped her things, that's all. I think the staircase made the floor shake more than usual this time."

Lupin gave him a narrowed-eyed look that promised they would be having a talk very, very soon, and waved his wand in a sweeping half-circle. The boxes and packages floated back up the stairs and settled at Trelawney's feet.

"Thank you, dear," Trelawney said, still looking confused.

"Good to see you again, Sybill," Lupin said.

With Lupin staring at them the whole way, Harry and Trelawney continued on their way.

The whole time, Harry waited, hardly daring to breathe, for Trelawney to repeat her prediction. No matter how terrible it might be, he needed to hear it.

It never happened. They got to the top of the North Tower and Trelawney levitated her things ahead of her, thanked 'Hadrian, dear', for his help, and disappeared inside.

Harry stood there for several minutes, trying to take deep breaths and stop his body from shaking. If he could have, he would have sank down against a wall, but he was aware that he was close to the Room of Requirement and he couldn't take the chance of someone coming across him in this condition.

He forced his feet to start moving. He had to tell Lupin what he had heard. Even though he had heard only a small fragment of what Trelawney had said, if it had anything to do with Voldemort, like last time, he couldn't keep it to himself.

"What happened?" Lupin demanded as soon as Harry was inside his office. He had met Harry at the stairs and they had walked to Lupin's office in tense silence. "You're as white as a sheet."

"Trelawney made another prophecy," Harry said, his voice hollow and far-away to his ears. "Like she did when Wormtail got away and went to join Voldemort. I think..." Harry's breath choked in his throat. "I think this one was about... about... about Voldemort... too..."

"Sit down, Harry, and don't move," Lupin said, forcing Harry down into a chair. "I'm right here, but I need to call Severus and get you some help. Just take deep breaths. Everything is going to be all right."

Harry heard Lupin make the call, but everything seemed to be happening very, very far away. He had to focus on sucking in air.

"For Merlin's sake," said Snape's exasperated voice. "Again? I'll be right there. Here, take this."

In a moment, a potion was being poured into Harry's mouth.

"Swallow," Lupin said, looking down at him worriedly. "That's it. All of it."

Lupin's office blurred in a haze of washed-out colors. Harry felt as though he was slowly floating toward the ceiling.

He was vaguely aware of Snape's arrival, but could not rouse himself.

"Another panic attack?"

"Yes. He was helping Trelawney upstairs when he claims she said something disturbing. He seems convinced Voldemort is involved, somehow. It sounds like more of her nonsense to me. Trelawney is an old fraud and everyone knows it. I never understood why Dumbledore kept her on staff all these years."

Snape didn't say anything.

"No," Harry mumbled with effort. "No, she isn't."

"Shh..." Lupin's hand touched Harry's forehead soothingly. "Just rest, Harry. We can talk when you're feeling better."

"She's... not a fraud," Harry insisted. "She's not... she knew Wormtail would get away... it happened the same night she said... Voldemort returned just like she said..."

"Harry --"

"Lupin," Snape interrupted in an odd tone. "In this case he may be correct. Leave him be for now."

Harry struggled to sit up, but Snape's face appeared suddenly above him.

"Hush, Potter. You're in no condition to talk, and I will want you to have your wits about you when you explain what happened. Do you understand?"

Harry nodded miserably and let his head fall back, giving in to the floaty haze.

"Would you mind filling me in, Severus?"

Though Snape and Lupin moved away from where Harry was resting, they didn't put up a silencing charm and he could still hear most of what was said.

"I am aware of the prophecy Potter is speaking of. More importantly, it is she who made the original prophesy concerning Potter and the Dark Lord."

"Then you know what it said?"

Snape was silent for a very long time.

"Severus?"

"I know only part of it. The part the Dark Lord knew, and which made him target the Potters."

This time it was Lupin who was silent for a long time.

"Let's focus on Harry, Severus. We will speak later."

Harry was trying very hard to pull himself out from under the influence of the potion, which had finally started to wear off a bit.

"Don't fight it, Potter," Snape voice said irritably from off to the side. "I didn't have a calming potion on hand, and this variant is designed to counter any agitated state indiscriminately. Fighting it will only exhaust you."

"A variant, Severus?"

"I cleared out my stores for Granger and Lovegood earlier, and have not had time to brew more. There may be some in the infirmary, and I told Molly to see about it. I expect she found some, or she would have let me know she needed a fresh batch immediately."

Harry let out a frustrated breath and shut his eyes.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1328