Second Chance by FoxyElvenPirate
Summary: An AU set in Harry's fifth year at Hogwarts. What happens when Harry and Ron get tired of studying and look for a way around it? Chaos ensues of course. And who will ultimately bear the brunt of things? Why none other than our favorite Potions Master. Just what he will do with his new responsibility is anyone's guess however. A Harry de-aged fic because I, unlike some people, can not resist a pair of soulful green eyes which is exactly what this little plot bunny had.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 40181 Read: 63989 Published: 24 May 2007 Updated: 23 May 2008
Chapter 3 - Cellmates by FoxyElvenPirate

"Why me??"

"Because I have my own work to do."

"So do I! Let the Headmaster do it!"

"My dear boy, I have more than either of you."

"But, sir. You LIKE children. I don't! And especially not Potter!"

"Severus, it has been decided. You are the best choice to look after Harry."

"What about. . ."

"Do not even think about naming me, Severus. I can't have a child in here full time."

"Poppy. . ." On anyone else it would have been considered a whine. But Severus Snape NEVER whined!

"It will give you the chance to keep a close eye on Harry and observe any slight changes that the rest of us might miss. You are the obvious choice, my boy, due to the fact that it will be you who has to brew the potion for the child when the time comes," Dumbledore stated, his eyes twinkling.

"Of course we will help out as we are able, but it is for the best that you have temporary guardianship of Harry," Minerva put in.

Snape looked at the Head of Gryffindor and sighed. If she was putting her faith in him, that was saying a lot. The thing was, Snape had little to no faith in his abilities to look after a child.

"But my quarters. . .they aren't. . .child friendly." Alright so it was a weak excuse, but any port in a storm, the dark haired wizard thought.

"Oh posh, Severus," Minerva chuckled. "It was easy as pie to transfigure things to make a very suitable place for Harry."

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Snape tried to speak calmly. "You have already done it??" At the nods from the Headmaster and McGonagall, the Potions Master sighed, "This is going to happen regardless, isn't it?"

"Well, we did hope that you wouldn't be so strongly opposed," the Headmaster commented, forcing back a chuckle at the look he received.

"Fine. I suppose I can live through a few weeks with the brat," Severus consented.

As if on cue, said brat ran into Poppy's office from the infirmary, Hermione right on his heels. The young girl set about apologizing. "I'm so sorry he interrupted. He just took off and I was caught off guard."

Dumbledore waved his hand with a chuckle. "No matter, my dear. We had finished anyway."

Harry wasn't concerned about technicalities. He had paused a moment at seeing all four adults. He knew Poppy and Snape the best, but had seen the other two a time or two. Bypassing Poppy for now, the little boy trotted to Snape's side, dropping a small hand on the man's leg and looking up with a beaming smile. "Hi, 'Nape! You done?"

While all the other occupants of the room hid smiles, Snape rolled his eyes. "Well the first thing we are going to work on is manners," he decided.

Harry looked puzzled a moment but then nodded agreeably. "'Kay." The little boy couldn't understand why everyone laughed at that, but Snape scooped him up and said. "Come, Mr. Potter. We had best see about your new accommodations."

oooooooooo

Harry looked around him curiously as Snape took him through several different corridors and then down some stairs. As they stopped at a door, the little boy looked up curious. "Where are we?"

"These are my. . .our rooms," Snape informed Harry.

Harry frowned. "I get new room? Not stay with Poppy now?"

"No, you will not be in the infirmary any longer. You will be staying with me." Snape was unprepared for the sudden choke hold that wrapped around his neck. "Potter, do you mind. I rather enjoy breathing."

"I stay with 'Nape!" the child announced in pure delight, easing his hug only minutely.

"Yes, yes," the Potions Master acknowledged. "But we have to get things ready."

"I help!' Harry volunteered as they entered the main sitting area and he was set on his feet. Running toward the short hall, Harry found himself being pulled up short.

"First of all, you do not run around like a wild animal, Mr. Potter," Snape admonished. "Secondly, you touch nothing yet. Go and sit on the couch until I am ready."

Pouting, Harry walked over and flopped down. "I help," he said petulantly.

"You will do as you are told, little boy," Snape reproved. "You may help when I say so."

Crossing his arms and poking out his lower lip, Harry let his feelings be known. And here he had thought it would be fun staying with Snape!

Before Snape could reprimand his small charge any further, a knock sounded and Harry hopped down and dashed to the door, completely disregarding the directions not to run and to stay on the couch. Gripping the door handle, the little boy opened it and found Dumbledore and McGonagall there. They both smiled at him and entered the room.

"How does Harry like his room?" Minerva questioned.

"We haven't. . ." Snape began.

"'Nape not let me look," Harry informed the newcomers. "Want to see room!"

"Potter, that's enough," Snape said sharply, but McGonagall gave him a stern look.

"Really, Severus, there is no need to be so harsh with the child. Come along, Harry. Let's go see your room." The witch held out her hand to the little boy and Harry took it, bouncing a bit in excitement as he was led out of the sitting room and down a short hallway which sported two doors on the left , one at the end, and a fourth on the right. Opening the first door on the left, Minerva looked down at the child beside her. "This is your room, Harry."

The little boy stood speechless. The ceiling was a pale blue sky with fluffy clouds. One wall showed arched windows and was enchanted to make it seem as though sunshine was streaming in, giving the essence of natural light to the room. The other walls were a neutral cream color and the wall opposite the door had a cheerful fireplace with a protective screen in front of it. There was a section of the end wall which was flanked by a red and gold banner on one side and a green and silver one on the other.

"That wall is for you to draw on," McGonagall explained, indicating the bannered wall. She smiled as she watched Harry's eyes light up. "It is specially created so that your drawings will move and can only be removed with a special eraser."

"Wonderful," Snape muttered as he came to stand behind the other two in the doorway. "Just what the brat needs, permission to draw on walls." Placing a hand on Harry's shoulder, he tuned Harry to face him rather than the room, looked down at the boy, and spoke firmly. "If I EVER catch you drawing on any wall other than that one, you will be in serious trouble, Potter. Is that clear?"

Harry had been so overwhelmed by just what small bit he had seen of the room thus far that he was startled at Snape's words and automatically nodded.

"Good," Snape nodded back, assuming the boy understood.

The rest of the room was as grand to Harry as his special wall. There were a bed and dresser of course and a child sized table and chair as well as an adult sized rocking chair. But to the delight of the child there was a toy box, the lid of which was open to reveal a few treasures. And best of all a regal looking black rocking horse.

With a squeal of "Horsey!!' Harry was hurtling across the room to clamber up on it.

"Now that you have succeeded in thoroughly spoiling him," Snape looked at his colleagues in disdain, "I think I will work on child proofing the rest of the rooms. Unless of course I simply decide to keep him locked in here." With a smirk and ignoring Minerva's slight gasp, the Potions Master strolled out of the room with a flourish of his robes.

oooooooooo

Done. At last he had everything of any importance to him put out of the brat's reach, Severus thought to himself. He had been slightly perturbed earlier that Minerva had interrupted his work to drag him into the new room to show him 'something cute.' Snape snorted at the thought. As if Potter, worn out by playing and excitement (too much overindulgence in Snape's opinion), and asleep on his rocking horse, little arms holding the animal around the neck while his head rested on the soft mane, was worth stopping his work for. Really, he had expected better from the normally stern witch than that!

But at least it had meant he had peace and quiet. Minerva had tucked the child in for a nap and left, a fact Snape was grateful for. The boy's naptime had allowed the Potions Master time to remove any and all potions and ingredients from the main rooms and put them in his private lab. Of course that necessitated doing some rearranging, but now it was finished.

Snape had also put away some of his more valuable books, but left others out. Potter would just have to learn from the very beginning that Snape did not tolerate meddling with things. As he took a seat in his comfortable armchair, the small object of his thoughts wandered to the arched doorway leading from the hall into the sitting room.

"'Nape?" a little voice called hesitantly as Harry rubbed away the last of the sleepiness from the nap from his eyes.

"What is it, Potter?"

The toddler came over and stood at the man's knee, looking up hopefully. "We have juice now?"

The Potions Master snorted. "Is that all you do? Eat and Sleep?"

"No," Harry shook his head and then grinned. "Play too."

"Wonderful," Snape responded, rolling his eyes. "I suppose we can find something for you." Standing up, Snape headed for the dining area, the toddler trailing behind him. McGonagall had insisted that he had a booster seat for the brat and so Severus now lifted Harry into it as he called a house elf. The small creature appeared and Snape directed it to bring a suitable snack, complete with juice for the boy. Within moments Harry was happily munching on a cookie and Snape was trying to ignore the crumbs falling to the floor.

"When you are done, we are going to the sitting room and have a talk, Potter," Snape announced.

Harry regarded Snape a moment and then nodded, cramming the last half a cookie in his mouth and trying to talk. "Ah du," came the garbled words along with a spray of crumbs and a few bigger pieces of now moist cookie.

"Potter!" Snape exclaimed, his nose wrinkling in disgust. "We do NOT speak with our mouth full! Nor do we cram our food in like you just did. Are you trying to choke?"

The green eyes welled with tears at the harsher tone to Snape's voice and Harry shook his head.

"Chew the cookie up good," the Potions Master directed. "And then have some more of your juice." Taking a cloth, Snape wiped up the mess from the table while Harry silently followed directions.

Harry swallowed the cookie and finished his juice and then tried his previous statement again. "All done." It worked better this time, but the words were a bit quieter than usual and he glanced questioningly up at Snape, wondering if he was still mad at him. To Harry that had sure sounded like a mad voice.

Once the child was done with his snack Snape picked up a clean cloth, this one slightly damp, to wipe Harry's face and hands. "Good now we can have our talk." Snape was about to simply lift Harry down from the booster seat when the professor caught the look from the little boy. Instead of placing the toddler on the floor to follow him, Snape positioned Harry on his hip and carried him into the other room.

Taking the act of being carried to mean that Snape was no longer mad, Harry put his arms around the man and then once they were settled in the big comfy chair, he made to rest his head on Snape's chest. Only to find he was rearranged to sit up straight on the Potions Master's knee. Harry looked up into the stern face. Hmm, maybe he had been wrong and Snape WAS still upset. Deciding to try to fix things, Harry offered, "I sorry, 'Nape. I not cram cookie 'gain. And not talk with mouth full."

"Good," Snape nodded. "That's just two of the rules we need to discuss, Potter."

"Rules?" Harry questioned.

"Yes, rules. Things that you are not allowed to do and things that you can do," the Potions Master responded. "I want to make some of them very clear here and now. And I will add others as needed."

Noting the solemn look that the boy gave him, Snape continued speaking, going through the more basic things first. "You do not touch any of my things. You do not go in the door that is across the hall from the bedrooms. You do not climb on the furniture. You will eat healthy meals. You will have regular baths. You will go to bed when I tell you to." Here Snape paused as Harry fidgeted on his lap. "Sit still, Potter, you are not going anywhere just yet. Now do you understand everything thus far?"

Harry nodded and squirmed again, "'Nape?"

"In a moment, Potter. There are a few other things." The Potions Master responded. "Now then, you may bring only ONE toy at a time. . .Potter sit still. I told you I was not finished talking. You are going to learn some man. . ." Snape broke off what he was saying for the second time as Harry struggled from his lap and gave a little half bounce at the Potions Master side.

"Bafroom, 'Nape!!" the toddler announced frantically.

It was then that Snape recalled he'd never shown the child the rest of the rooms. Standing, he quickly took Harry's hand and informed his little charge, "Straight down the hall on the end," while leading Harry to the correct room.

Once things were taken care of and Harry's hands had been properly washed, the little boy smiled up at Snape. "Kay, we finish talk now," he commented.

"I'm glad to know I have your permission," the Potions Master stated dryly, but he returned to the sitting room with the toddler in tow.

Almost as soon as he sat down, Snape found himself being treated as a piece of climbing equipment as Harry scrambled with a slight amount of difficulty into the professor's lap. Settling against Snape, he looked up expectantly.

Shaking his head at the actions, Snape picked up where he had left off, informing Harry that he would not be allowed to drag his toys into the sitting area and make a mess. Snape was determined to keep the childish clutter confined to the brat's own room so that he didn't have to deal with it. After a few more rules and regulations which the Potions Master thought might keep him at least partially sane since he had to deal with this situation for a few weeks until Potter could be restored to normal, the dark eyes looked down at the boy in his lap.

Harry gave Snape a little nod and then asked, "We done now?"

"Yes, as long as you remember the rules."

"'Kay. Let's go play!"

Snape snorted. "I do not play, Potter. You may go play in your room. I intend to read a bit."

Frowning slightly, Harry decided that might not be too bad, even though he really wanted to play more. "You read me 'tory?"

"No. My books are not for children," the Potions Master responded.

"I get book," Harry volunteered, hopping down from Snape's lap. "Books in my room."

"I said no, Potter," Snape stated. "I am going to be busy. Now go play by yourself."

With a slight pout, Harry did as he was told. He wanted to play and explore his room more, but he also wanted someone to share it with. Minerva had played with him earlier and Harry had been looking forward to showing Snape his new things. Maybe the others would come back and he would have a playmate. With that thought to cheer him up, Harry set to work pulling his toys out of the toy box.

Picking up the book he had wanted to finish, Snape settled in to read now that Potter was amusing himself in his own room, out of the way of the Potions Master. After quite some time and no disturbances, Snape laid aside the book and went to check on the toddler. What he found made him blink.

Apparently from the looks of the floor Harry had been supplied with every toy imaginable, which he had proceeded to scatter around the room. Of course that was an overstatement and Dumbledore and McGonagall had only provided a few basic items, but to Severus' untrained eye in the way of small children, the sack of blocks and the shape sorting cube had a million pieces each.

"Potter!" he roared.

The small figure at the drawing wall jumped and whirled around, crayon held tightly in the little fist and green eyes wide. The most recent squiggle, which to Harry was water since it was blue, was now wiggling under the brown squareish blob that was his boat as the child looked at the Potions Master.

"What do you think you are doing??" Snape asked.

Harry gave him a confused look. "Dwawin'," he announced.

Snape rubbed a hand over his face. "This room is an absolute mess, Potter. Why are ALL the toys out?"

"I been playin'," the little boy supplied. He was thoroughly puzzled by why Snape was asking such silly questions. Surely the man could see and he was the one who had sent Harry to play.

"Clean it up," The professor directed. "And then you are getting a bath."

"Don't like baf," Harry frowned.

"I didn't ask if you liked them. You were told to do something. Now get busy." Snape was about to leave to go start getting the bathroom ready when he noticed a tear trickle down the small cheek. It was closely followed by another. Wonderful, just what he needed, a sobbing brat!

Harry didn't like being scolded. As he tried to put the crayon back in the box with the others, it snapped and the toddler dissolved into real tears. He had broken the pretty blue color stick!

Oh for the love of Merlin! Snape thought as he crossed the room and took the box of crayons from the child. Whispering a quick repairing charm, the crayon was as good as new and slipped in with its fellow colors. "There, Potter, stop your wailing. It's fixed. Now put the blocks back in the bag they came in."

Still sniffling, Harry began following directions and was soon dragging the bag behind him as he picked up. Snape watched for a moment or two and then informed Harry that he was going to get things ready for bath time and left the child alone to finish the job. If the brat made the mess, he could pick it up, Snape thought.

The towels were ready as was the wash cloth and soap and Snape turned on the water, letting the tub fill slowly as he went back to collect Harry. The toddler was done with his clean up and Snape nodded at the now cleared floor. "Much better," he said and held out his hand to the boy. "Come along now. It's time for your bath."

Harry didn't really want a bath, but he didn't want Snape mad at him again either. So though he said nothing in protest, he drug his feet as he went toward the Potions Master.

Snape decided it was quicker to carry the boy since Potter seemed to have no inclination to walk properly. With Harry in his arms, Snape strode down the hall and into the bathroom. Setting Harry down, he checked the temperature of the water and turned off the taps. Looking at the toddler, Snape helped him unfasten a few buttons and then allowed Harry, who was declaring all through the process that he was big, to finish undressing.

"Now into the tub," Snape ordered.

With a sigh that was very big for such a small body, Harry obeyed and climbed in, plopping down with a splash. Recalling bath time in the infirmary with Poppy, the green eyes turned to Snape and the little boy announced, "Need boat. And bubbies."

"I have neither. I am not given to playing with boats in the tub, Mr. Potter." Snape informed Harry as he wet the wash cloth.

This was highly displeasing to the toddler. Neither of the two things that made a bath bearable?? The man had to be kidding! Struggling to stand up in the tub, Harry declared, "No baf!"

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Yes, you are still having a bath. We will see about getting a boat and perhaps some bubbles for next time." The Potions Master firmly pressed Harry back down to sit in the water. And then blinked. What in Merlin's name did he just promise?? Snape thought. Where had THAT come from??

"Pwomise?" Harry gazed up at Snape.

"I said we will see," Snape answered. "It depends on if you behave."

"I be's good," the toddler promised.

"I certainly hope so. Now let's wash your hair first. Close your eyes," Snape directed.

With unusual gentleness, Snape washed the child's dark hair, taking care not to allow any of the soap to run down into Harry's face. After rinsing the shampoo away, the Potions Master took the clean, wet wash cloth and wiped the small face that was smiling up at him. Lathering up the cloth, Snape informed Harry that they would soon be done and began bathing the little boy. As the washcloth slide over the little chest and tummy, Snape discovered something. Potter was ticklish.

Harry squirmed and giggled, trying to cover his tummy with his hand when Snape got to his ticklish spots. He pushed lightly at Snape's hand but the washcloth was run along the area again making the child giggle even more. "'Nape!" he protested through his laughter.

"We have to get you clean all over, Potter," Snape stated, but his voice held a hint of amusement.

Harry looked a the man for a long minute and then with sparkling eyes, the toddler moved his hand from protecting himself, since it wasn't working anyway, and smacked the water as hard as he could, sending a splash over the side and drenching the front of Snape's robes. "'Nape need baf!" he announced with another giggle.

"Potter, you little. . ." Snape looked at his wet robes and then down at the small figure. But the scowl melted somewhat at the sight of bright green eyes, completely full of mischief, staring back at him from a grinning little face. "That is NOT the way to earn a boat," he commented as he resumed washing Harry.

Oops. He had forgotten about the boat! Harry gave Snape a slightly worried look now. "I sorry, 'Nape. Want boat. Pwease?"

Snape gave Harry a look and let the child worry for a long moment before saying, "Maybe."

Glad that he had not lost all chance for a tub toy, Harry smiled again and nodded, but refrained from splashing the Potions Master again.

Soon the bath was over and Snape lifted Harry out of the tub and wrapped him in a soft, fluffy towel. Carrying his little charge back to the new bedroom, Snape set the towel wrapped toddler in the rocking chair and went to the dresser to look for a pair of pajamas. After opening two drawers and finding socks and underwear in one and little shirts in another, the professor located the pajamas and viewed the selection. Removing a medium blue pair with footies, Snape took them over to the chair and got Harry dressed for bed.

Harry was feeling warm and comfortable now and was about to curl up in Snape's lap when he suddenly found himself lifted down. Looking up at the man a bit reproachfully, Harry watched as first Snape took off his wet robes, leaving the Potions Master dressed in a simple cream colored shirt and black pants. Snape then retrieved the hairbrush from the dresser and returned to the chair.

Taking Harry in his lap once more, Snape proceeded to brush the still damp hair. He could feel the little body relaxing with the rhythmetic motions. Before he knew it, Potter had snuggled close to him and was resting his head on Snape's chest. Giving up trying to the brush the dark hair, Snape laid the brush aside and put one arm around the child so that he wouldn't fall out of the chair. At least that was the reasoning the Potions Master attempted to use to himself. In reality there was next to no way for Harry to tumble out considering how he had pressed himself against Snape.

Allowing enough quiet time for the green eyes to blink slowly shut, Snape stood up and took Harry over to the bed intending to tuck the child in. Unfortunately Harry was not fully asleep and the eyes opened as he was being laid down.

"'Nape!" the little boy exclaimed and half sat up, pointing at the ceiling, eyes now widen in amazement. "'Tars!!"

Snape looked up and sure enough the pale blue sky with the fluffy clouds from earlier had been replaced with a night time sky of velvety darkness, sprinkled with glittering stars. The Potions Master nodded. "Yes, stars," he commented. "And when the stars are out it is time for you to be asleep. Now close your eyes."

Harry was too thrilled at his changing ceiling to obey right away and lay there just gazing upwards as Snape pulled up the covers and tucked him in. But after several minutes in the dimly lit room the twinkling stars lulled the little boy back toward sleep. With a yawn, Harry blinked and turned his attention from the ceiling back to the Potions Master who was now extinguishing the candles around the room. "Night night time, 'Nape?"

"Most definitely, Potter. Go to sleep," came the reply.

"'Kay." Too tired from the exciting day to offer protest, Harry closed his eyes and within a short while the toddler had drifted off to sleep.

The Potions Master looked at the small figure on the bed. He had made it through the first day at any rate. Would they get any easier than this hectic one? And more importantly, how many more days would follow? Leaving the one softly glowing charmed candle in a wall scone to serve as a night light, Snape left the room.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1331