Second Chance by FoxyElvenPirate
Summary: An AU set in Harry's fifth year at Hogwarts. What happens when Harry and Ron get tired of studying and look for a way around it? Chaos ensues of course. And who will ultimately bear the brunt of things? Why none other than our favorite Potions Master. Just what he will do with his new responsibility is anyone's guess however. A Harry de-aged fic because I, unlike some people, can not resist a pair of soulful green eyes which is exactly what this little plot bunny had.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaging
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 40181 Read: 63983 Published: 24 May 2007 Updated: 23 May 2008
Chapter 4 - Settling In by FoxyElvenPirate
 

Harry swung his legs and looked up at Madame Pomfrey. "What we do now, Poppy?"

"Now you sit still and I will do a diagnostic scan on you," the mediwitch informed her little patient with a smile.

"Di-nog-tic?" Harry frowned as he tried to say the big new word. He eyed Poppy warily. "No like 'tick," the toddler reminded.

Madame Pomfrey laughed as Snape shook his head. "This will not hurt, Harry, I promise," the kind woman stated.

Giving a little nod, Harry sat still on the bed as instructed as the mediwitch ran her wand over him. After several minutes, she smiled brightly and announced, "All done. You were a good boy, Harry."

Harry grinned and allowed Poppy to help him down before hurrying to Snape's side and pulling on the man's hand. "We go now?"

"Not yet," Snape responded. "Madame Pomfrey and I need to talk first."

With a sigh, Harry nodded. Fortunately Poppy was able to distract the toddler with a plate containing two cookies and a glass of cold milk.

Snape instructed Harry to stay at the table and then followed the mediwitch into her office. "Well? It's been nearly a week. What do you think?"

"He's doing very well, Severus. Not ready for any attempts at aging him just yet, but I'm very pleased with the results of the tests. He's gained weight, though I suggest you continue giving him a nutritional potion twice a week. But I believe that things are fine and I will be able to wait two weeks before the next check up. Of course if you spot anything that seems out of the ordinary, I'm always here, but Harry is essentially a bright, happy little boy. I'm amazed at how well things are going."

Arching an eyebrow, Snape commented, "Oh? And is that because of who you all appointed in charge of him?"

"Now, Severus, you know better," Poppy scolded. "Albus, Minerva, and I never had any doubt that you could do the job. It was simply more a matter of would you do it."

Snape snorted. "As I recall, I didn't have much of a choice."

Poppy laughed. "That's true."

"The joys of being the youngest professor," Snape muttered and the witch valiantly held back more laughter.

"Well if you are done, then I need to get Potter back to our rooms. I have work to do." The Potions Master stood up.

Madame Pomfrey nodded and walked to the door with the dark haired wizard. "How is the idea of student babysitters working out, by the way?" she inquired. It had been a joint suggestion on the part of Poppy and Minerva that Hermione be allowed to help out as the girl was eager to do something to help her friend.

"So far, very well. The boy seems quite taken with Miss Granger and she is proving to be a talented caregiver." A few of the other students had dropped by the office at different times when the Potions Master and the toddler were there, but as yet Hermione was the only one that had actually been to Snape's private quarters to baby-sit.

"I'm glad to hear that," Pomfrey began and was interrupted by Harry running over at the mention of his friend.

Attempting to climb up Snape and pulling on the black robes, Harry questioned, "'Mione? We go see 'Mione, 'Nape?"

"No, Potter. We are going back to our rooms and you are going to play and I am going to work on grading papers," the man responded.

"Oh." Clearly Harry had been hoping for a different answer. "Maybe 'Mione come next day?"

"Tomorrow, not next day," Snape corrected. "And perhaps. I imagine it depends on her homework."

At this Harry grinned. The little boy had little doubt that his friend wouldn't have her work done. "Kay, she come!" he assured and then informed both adults. "'Mione smart!"

Madame Pomfrey chuckled. "She is indeed, Harry."

Barely refraining from rolling his eyes, Snape held out his hand. "Come along, Potter."

Without hesitation, Harry slipped his small hand in the Potions Master's larger one and Poppy smiled to herself as the duo left the hospital wing, Snape still trying to maintain his regal stride, but having a bit of difficulty with it since he had to shorten paces to accommodate the bundle of energy bouncing at his side.

oooooooooo

The knock on the door caused Severus to look up from the paper he was perusing in an effort to find at least one sentence that was correct. Blasted little dunderheads! He thought. Why could they never do a simple assignment that was not filled with mistakes? And just who was that at the door? He wasn't expecting anyone, but of course that had never deterred either Dumbledore or McGonagall from disturbing him before. Most especially the infuriating Headmaster.

Rising from his seat, Snape started toward the door as a second knock sounded and a small figure bounded into the sitting room area. "Who is it, 'Nape? We have company? Is it 'Mione? Or Dum'dore? Or Aunt Min?"

"I don't know who it is, Potter, I haven't opened the door yet," Snape replied. "And whoever it might be, you need to calm down." The Potions Master couldn't help the smirk though as he reached the door and thought through the boy's list of their most frequent visitors. Snape had yet to manage not to laugh at least inwardly at the title by which Harry referred to the normally stern witch, Minerva McGonagall. Aunt Min had just popped out of the child's mouth one day and Minerva had beamed as though handed a treasure and from then on it had been her name as far as she was concerned.

However it wasn't Minerva or either of Harry's other guesses that stood in the corridor when Snape opened the door.

"Draco? What are you doing here?" Snape questioned as he saw the blond boy.

Harry had made his way over to the door by now and stood slightly behind Snape, one arm around the man's legs and half hidden in the robes. He smiled up at Draco, who he had seen once or twice before come to Snape's office when they were there. The little boy waved at Draco.

"I. . .I need some help on my essay. If you don't mind." The normally confidant and cocky boy answered with a bit of hesitation.

Snape arched an eyebrow. "Indeed. I am not in the habit of writing student's essays for them."

"Yes, sir, I know. It's just. . ." Draco shifted from foot to foot.

"You received a letter from your father." It was partially a question though the Potions Master had known Draco long enough to know all the signs and could tell that the boy was worried. There were only a few things that worried Draco Malfoy, chief among those being his father.

At the expected nod, Snape sighed softly and inclined his head toward the couch behind him. "Come in then."

Harry watched all this with curiosity and once Draco was in the room and the door closed the toddler questioned, "You not do your homework? Your daddy mad?"

Draco snorted softly. "Something like that," he commented.

Nodding, Harry walked over and plopped down on the couch. "Not worry, Dwaco, 'Nape help you," the little boy stated confidently.

Draco looked at Snape and then snickered. "Yeah well, I sure hope 'Nape will."

The glare sent toward the blond was enough but Snape followed it up with a light cuff as well. "Do not even THINK of using that name, boy," he warned. "If I hear it from you again there will be no assistance at all forthcoming."

Still snickering even as he rubbed the back of his head, Draco answered, "Okay, Uncle Sev."

Rolling his eyes at the impertinence of this brat that happened to be his godson, Snape questioned, "What is it you need help with?"

Draco lost the teasing smile and grew serious. "Father is disgusted that I reported being two points behind Granger after the last test. I've been told to bring the grade up to Malfoy standards. Or else." Here the youth looked down at the floor and idly trailed a finger on the arm of the chair. He was aware that Snape would have some idea of some of the things the 'or else' could include.

Sighing, Snape shook his head. Lucius was too hard on the boy at times and the constant rivalry the Death Eater forced between Draco and Hermione, mainly because of the blood issue, was well known to the Potions Master. "I see. So then you need top marks on this essay?"

"Yes, sir," Draco nodded.

During this exchange Harry was getting bored. He didn't really understand it totally other than Draco's father was mad at him and that Draco wanted help so he would do better than Hermione. That just wasn't going to happen in Harry's book and he decided to voice his opinion. "'Mione get bestest grade. She really smart!"

Draco glared at Harry. "Shut up, Potter! I will get a better mark than her this time. She doesn't have Uncle Sev helping her."

Before Snape could intervene, Harry jumped down from the couch and rushed over to the chair where Draco sat, giving the older boy a good kick on the shin. "You mean, Dwaco!! 'Mione better than YOU!! And no say shut up! It mean too!"

"Oww!!' Draco yelped at the kick. "Why you little. . ."

Snape now took control of things. Scooping Harry up, he frowned at the little boy. "Kicking people is also mean. You will apologize to Draco, Mr. Potter, and then you will go to your room until you are ready to behave properly."

Scowling back, Harry took in the look he was getting from Snape and then glanced over at Draco. "Sorry," he said shortly.

"That will do for the moment. After you think about things for a while we will be ready for you to apologize and mean it," Snape commented. Setting Harry down, he gave the boy a slight push toward the hall. "Go to your room, Potter."

Clearly unhappy, Harry marched away from Snape and Draco and into his room, closing the door behind him.

"How do you stand being with THAT?" Draco asked after the little boy was gone.

Snape turned on his godson and gave him a stern look. "Do not even start, Draco."

"What?" the boy looked the picture of innocence.

"You know very well what. You do not yell at a three year old, Draco."

The grey-blue eyes blinked in amazement. "It's Potter, Uncle Sev!"

"I am very much aware of who it is, Draco. I am also aware that he is only a small child and was only speaking like one. You on the other hand are old enough to know better. And I expect you to DO better."

The words were simple but Draco knew the underlying warning tone, having heard it before. "Yes, sir," he responded. "Sorry, Uncle Sev."

Severus nodded. "Now let's have a look at that essay of yours."

Together the two of them discussed the paper and worked on it for the next half hour. As Snape finished explaining part of the stirring process to Draco, he heard a door open. Glancing over his shoulder he saw a small dark haired figure slowly inch his way into at least partial view.

Harry lingered near the arched doorway leading from the hall into the sitting area. He watched quietly as Draco finished writing down a few more things. Then the toddler seemed to gather his courage and crossed the room. Not pausing to look at Snape or really think about what he was doing, Harry climbed into Draco's lap and wrapped his little arms around the startled Slytherin.

"Potter. . .what. . .?" Draco was taken back at the actions.

"I sorry, Dwaco," Harry said, the little voice sincere this time. "I not want your daddy mad at you. I want you to do good as 'Mione." The little boy had thought about things as he lay on his bed in his room. Harry could tell when Draco arrived at their door that the older boy was worried and sad. Harry knew how HE felt when Snape was upset with him and it wasn't a fun feeling. He didn't want Draco feeling that way and planned to help out if he could.

"I. . ." Draco was rather at a loss as to what to do or say with the small child holding onto him. Looking down into the big green eyes, he managed, "Thanks, Potter." The sound of a throat clearing had Draco adding, "And I'm sorry too. I guess I shouldn't have yelled at you."

Harry shook his head. "Nope, yelling not good," he agreed. "But. . ." here he darted a look at Snape before returning his attention to the blond boy, "kicking not nice either. You okay, Dwaco?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Potter," Draco answered with a slight smile.

"Good." Harry hugged tight and then removed his arms from around Draco's neck. But he made no move to get down and actually leaned back against the teen's chest. "You all done now?" Harry questioned, pointing to the paper.

"Um, I think so," Draco replied. He was feeling pretty uncomfortable having Harry Potter on his lap.

"You come see my room now?" Harry asked. "You play with me?"

Draco looked over at Snape, his eyes startled and seeming to search for an answer from the professor.

"Go ahead, Draco," Snape granted permission with a smirk. "You've done enough work for now. It's playtime."

Draco had learned his godfather's glare to near perfection and utilized it now as Harry slid off his lap and happily took the older boy's hand, tugging at it.

Snape managed to hold back the chuckle until the two boys were in Harry's room. He could hear the happy chatter of the toddler and wondered how long Draco would last. Grinning to himself, the professor returned to grading essays.

Quite some time later as the clock on the mantel chimed six o'clock, Snape came out of his work to realize that neither Harry nor Draco had been out of the room. He listened but didn't hear any noises that would alert him to a problem. Frowning slightly, Snape rose and made his way toward the little boy's bedroom.

The door was slightly ajar and that was when Snape heard the sounds. Ones that he never would have thought to hear when these particular two boys were put together. Laughter. Or more precisely, giggles. The higher pitched ones were clearly Harry's as the toddler enjoyed whatever it was that was going on with the free abandon of a little one. But as infectious as that was, causing even Snape to smile as he listened, it was the other giggles that warmed his heart. Draco was clearly having fun and playing like a child should if the clear ringing merriment was anything to go by. Severus had difficulty recalling when he'd last known the boy to play, let alone laugh out freely. Oh, Draco sneered and gave cool chuckles at times, but to really open up and laugh as he was now. . .Snape's smile grew.

Cautiously easing the door open to see what was the cause of all the fun, the Potions Master beheld an interesting sight. A few picture books were on Harry's bed and the covers rumpled where clearly two boys had been lying at some point. The blocks, which seemed to be Harry's favorite toy other than the rocking horse, were scattered about as usual. Harry and Draco were standing side by side at the drawing wall, giggling madly over their picture of. . .Was that supposed to HIM?! Snape thought.

The wall showed a stick figure with black hair, wearing black robes and a very long black cape which was flapping behind him. A table was beside the figure and on it sat a round something that Snape presumed was a cauldron, obviously that part had been drawn by Potter, and the loops and swirls and squiggles moving above it had to be steam. Around the figure, also obviously Potter's work, were strange marks that resembled wiggling W's.

Stepping into the room further, Snape cleared his throat. "I can see that you two have been busy, but if you plan to eat dinner, the room must be cleaned."

Both boys whirled around, their eyes shining with mischief. "Uncle Sev!" Draco started but Harry interrupted.

"Look, 'Nape! We drawed you!!" the little boy declared, thus setting aside any lingering doubts the Potions Master might have had about the picture.

"So I see," Snape commented dryly, going over to stand between the two young artists and view the 'portrait' up close. "What pray tell are those things?" He pointed to the W shaped marks.

"Batses!!" Harry announced proudly, as Draco dissolved into giggles once more at the look on Snape's face. "I drawed them!"

"Bats, Potter, not batses," Snape commented and at the same time thumped Draco in the back of the head without missing a beat. "So this is how you see me, is it?"

Draco rubbed his head and was about to answer yes, but again Harry beat him to it.

"No, cause Dwaco couldn't do the look right."

Snape arched an eyebrow. "And what look might that be?"

"This one!" And Harry tried his best to scowl like Snape, but only succeeded in crossing his eyes and giving a cross between a smirk and a pout.

It was too much for Draco. The blond boy rushed across the room to be out of arm's reach and dove for Harry's bed, peals of laughter escaping before he could try to muffle them in a pillow.

The Potions Master shook his head, fighting hard for control himself. "Yes, well, I can rather understand that one would be hard to draw," he commented. "Go pick up the blocks, Michelangelo. And Draco, as much as I would love to have you smother yourself at the present moment, you need to help clean up the mess as well. I will be in the dining room." With that Snape strode out of the room, giving in to the laughter when he heard Harry's little voice pipe up, "Dwaco? Who Mike-anjello?"

oooooooooo

Dinner had been eaten and good-bye's said to Draco, and Snape had readied his little charge for bed. It was obvious that the fun and playtime earlier had tired Harry out as the little boy was yawning more than usual and put up no resistance when Snape declared it was bed time.

Snape carried Harry to the toddler's bedroom and turned back the covers before placing the child in bed.

Harry looked up at the Potions Master with sleepy eyes as he was tucked in. "I like Dwaco, 'Nape," he announced with a yawn.

"I'm glad to hear it, Potter," Snape nodded. He couldn't resist the slight smirk at the thought of how the teenaged Potter had felt about Malfoy.

"We had fun," Harry continued. Then he questioned, "Dwaco come back like 'Mione?"

"You mean to stay with you if I'm busy?" Snape had never entertained that thought. It was after all Draco. And Potter. Not a combination that normally sprang to mind as conducive to rooms or lives being unharmed.

"Uh huh," Harry nodded. "We can play 'gain." A huge yawn effectively interrupted the toddler's plans.

Snape studied the child and finally answered, "We will see. Now get some sleep. You're tired."

Harry curled up obediently. He was learning that a 'we will see' was sometimes the best answer from Snape. It was better than no and had lead to a yes on two occasions already since Harry now had a boat and bubble bath to enjoy at bath time.

Snape put out all the lights except the softly glowing candle that served as Harry's night light. He was nearly at the door when a little whisper stopped him.

"Night, 'Nape."

Looking back the man observed that Harry's eyes were already closed and the thumb of his right hand had found its way into the boy's mouth, a sure sign that he was basically asleep. Watching the child for a few moments, Snape felt an unfamiliar tug at his heart. He would never admit it, not even under torture, but Potter was actually cute as he was now. Then again he was still and quiet. Yes, that was the best way to view the brat.

"Good night, Harry," the Potions Master responded quietly and slipped from the room.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1331