Not Myself Year 4: A Skull and a Serpent by Saerry Snape
Summary: Harry Potter heads back to Hogwarts for his fourth year...but not before several bad things happen. A rather ominous way to begin a year...
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Ginny, Hermione, Original Character, Other, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Humor
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Not Myself
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 96556 Read: 144511 Published: 01 Sep 2003 Updated: 01 Nov 2003
Triwizard Tournament, Letters, and Gifts by Saerry Snape

Some time later, the five of them entered the entrance hall to find a large crowd of students milling around a sign that had been erected at the foot of the marble staircase.  Harry and Ron, being the tallest, peered at the sign and read it to the others.

TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT

The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving at 6 o’clock on Friday the 30th of October.  Lessons will end a half hour early –

“Yes!” cried Niamh.  “Binns is last on Friday!”

Students will return their bags and books to their dormitories and assemble in front of the castle to greet our guests before the Welcoming Feast.

“Only a week away!” said Ernie Macmillan.  “I wonder if Cedric knows?  You think he does, Harry?”

Harry shrugged and Ernie ran off, Ron peering after him.

“Who’s Cedric?”

“Diggory.  Hufflepuff Seeker,” replied Harry.  “He must be entering the tournament.”  He didn’t notice Niamh flush slightly.

“That idiot, Hogwarts champion?”

“That idiot beat you in Quidditch,” said Ginny.

“And he’s not an idiot.  I’ve heard he’s a really good student – and he’s a prefect,” declared Hermione.

“You just like him because he’s handsome,” said Ron.

“I do not like people because they’re handsome!”

Ron and Harry both made false coughs that sounded suspiciously like “Lockhart!

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Harry –

I’m perfectly fine, if you must know.  I won’t say where I am, of course.  This letter might get intercepted and then where would we be?

And you know me well for someone who just met me.  I won’t gloat to Snape either (I want to, but since you asked…).

Ah, the Killing Curse.  I remember it from sixth year.  I saw it a lot in my days as an Auror.  But, remember, you survived it.  And I for one am glad of it – Snape’s son or not.

By the way, where did you get an Altair Raven?  They’re supposedly extinct.

Sirius

Harry folded Sirius’ letter and put it in his pocket before turning to Jardin.

So…revealed yourself, did you?

Jardin fluffed his feathers and said gruffly, < What else could I do when he kept firing curses at me?  Be glad I have had such practice dodging them or that man would be eating raven. >

Harry chuckled softly then reached for the other letter the raven had brought.

Harry,

Sod off, you cheeky bastard.  It’s colder than Hell here!  Well…  Perhaps not, as Hell’s not cold…

Malfoy a ferret?  And I missed it?  DAMN!

Oh, good on the old wolf.  He put me through those.  Bet he placed Imperius on the lot of you.  I keep missing things!  I hope Parkinson split open her head, the little whore.

As to the names, what about you?  Joke.  I know that reason.  Ah – my parents are separated.  Mum’s got me till I move out, the old wolf gets me during the last two weeks of summer hols.  She went back to her maiden name and changed min too.  I mean, Mika Moody?  My name really sucked.

Mika

Harry chortled, laughing uproariously at Mika’s letter.  A Hufflepuff passing by the alcove he sat in hurried on, causing him to laugh even more.  Jardin tilted his head and peered at his bond.

< Is it really that funny? >

“Probably not,” replied Harry, brushing laugh-tears from his eyes.  “But I thought it was.”

< Ah.  Well, I’m off. >

“Tired?”

< Immensely, > replied the raven, opening his wings and launching himself out of the alcove.  Harry looked after the bird for a moment then hopped down, tucking the letter into his pocket as he grabbed his bag and headed for Transfiguration.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Once Binns class was cut short, Niamh and Harry hurried down to Arx Serpens, dumped their stuff in the Hexer’s Corner, and grabbed cloaks and scarves before hurrying back upstairs.  They paused long enough to wait for Ginny then ran up, Harry leading them through a secret passageway that opened out behind the marble staircase.

When they got there the Heads of Houses were ordering their students into line.

“Weasley, straighten your hat,” snapped McGonagall.  “Miss Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair.”

“O’Feir!  Where’s your hat?”

“Minerva, if you wouldn’t mind leaving my students to me.”

McGonagall glared at Snape, who arched an eyebrow in response.  Harry meanwhile pulled Mika’s letter from his pocket and tapped it with his wand.  Instantly it became a hat and he shoved it onto Niamh’s head.

“Next Hogsmeade trip,” he hissed, “get a new hat.”

Niamh grinned at him then chuckled at McGonagall’s flabbergasted expression.

Snape clapped his hands and said, “Come on…down the steps…first years in front…Mister Goyle, are you a fist year?  I thought not…back with your year.”

Niamh snickered as Goyle walked numbly back to stand beside Crabbe and Draco.  She then turned to Harry and asked, “How do you think they’re coming?  The train?”

“Probably not.”

“Broomsticks?”

“Not from that far away.”

“Portkey?  Apparate?”

“You can’t Apparate onto the Hogwarts grounds or inside them, Ni.  Don’t you ever listen to Mione?”

“Generally?  No.”

“Aha!” said Dumbledore from the back row suddenly.  “Unless I am very much mistake, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!”

“Where?” cried several voices.

There!” yelled Harry, his sharp Seeker’s eyes picking out a shape over the forest.

“It’s a dragon!”

A dragon?” screamed Niamh as though the idea was ludicrous (which it was as dragons were untamable).  “Don’t be a bloody bint!  It’s a carriage!

And she was absolutely right.  It was a gigantic, powder-blue carriage drawn through the air by a dozen winged horses, each a palomino the size of an elephant.

As the carriage landed, the horses dinner plate size hooves making the ground shake slightly, the first three rows jumped back.  Harry scowled down at a third year Hufflepuff who’d landed on his foot and jabbed him in the ribs at the same time.  He then had time to see the coat of arms (two crossed golden wands emitting three stars each) on the carriage door before it was thrown open and a boy in pale blue robes leapt out.  The boy turned back to the carriage, bending to release a set of golden steps before springing back.

A shiny, high-heeled black shoe the size of a child’s sled emerged from the carriage, followed by the largest woman Harry had ever seen.  The only person who could possibly make her height would be Hagrid.

As she stepped into the light spreading out from the entrance hall, she was revealed to have an olive-skinned face, black eyes that seemed like liquid, and a rather beaky nose.  Her hair was drawn back into a shining knob at the base of her neck and she was dress from head to doe in black satin with brilliant opals gleaming at her throat and fingers.

Dumbledore began to clap and the students followed.  The woman smiled and walked towards Dumbledore, extending a hand.  The old wizard, tall as he himself was, barely had to bend to kiss it.

“My dear Madame Maxime.  Welcome to Hogwarts.”

“Dumbly-dorr (Niamh coughed and gasped, “Dumbly-dorr?!”  Harry promptly jabbed an elbow in her ribs).  I ‘ope I find you well?” said Madame Maxime.

“In excellent form, I thank you.”

“My pupils.”  Madame Maxime waved one of her hands behind her.

Now standing outside of the carriage were a dozen boys and girls, all in their late teens, shivering.

“Serves them right for wearing silk,” said Niamh scornfully.  “Didn’t they think to see what the weather was like?”

“’As Karkaroff arrived yet?” asked Madame Maxime.

“He should be here any moment,” replied Dumbledore.  “Would you like to wait and greet him or would you prefer to step inside and warm up a trifle?”

“Warm up, I think.  But ze ‘orses – ”

“Our Care of Magical Creatures professor will be delighted to see to them.  At the moment he is dealing with a slight situation that has arisen with some of his other – ah – charges.”

“My steeds require – forceful ‘andling.  Zey are very strong…”

“I assure you that Hagrid will be well up to the job.”

“Very well.  Will you please inform zis ‘Agrid zat ze ‘orses drink only single-malt whiskey?”

“It will be attended to.”

Madame Maxime nodded then said to her students, “Come,” and the Hogwarts crowd parted for them.

Niamh watched them go then turned to Harry.

“A Galleon says the Skrewts have escaped.”

“Oh, don’t say that, Niamh,” said Amanda Brethel, who had suddenly appeared at Harry’s elbow (her head actually did only reach his elbow).

“Mmm,” said Niamh.  “Horrible thought, isn’t it?”

Amanda shivered then asked, “Hey, what’s going on with the lake?”

Several people besides Harry and Niamh turned to look, and indeed – there was something going on in the lake.  A whirlpool had appeared in the center of the lake and a long pole had begun to rise from it…

“It’s a ruddy ship!” said someone from behind Harry.

And it was.  The ship looked like a resurrected wreck, the dim lights shining from it portholes like ghost eyes.  When the ship emerged completely, bobbing on the lake surface, the anchor dropped with a splash and then a plank was lowered to the bank with a thud.

Several people came down the plank, all of them wearing cloaks that seemed to be some kind of shaggy fur.  The man leading them was wearing sleek, silver furs that matched his hair.

“Dumbledore!  How are you, my dear fellow?”

“Blooming, thank you, Professor Karkaroff.”

When Karkaroff reached the light pouring from the doors, they saw he was as tall and thin as Dumbledore but with short white hair and a goatee that did not hide his weak chin.  He shook hands with both of his own when he reached Dumbledore, looking up at the castle as he did so.

“Good old Hogwarts.  How good it is to be here, how good…  Viktor, come along, into the warmth…you don’t mind, Dumbledore?  Viktor has a slight head cold…”  He gestured towards his students.

A boy detached from the crowd and Harry caught a glimpse at a prominent curved nose and thick black eyebrows.

“Merlin’s beard,” breathed a Gryffindor fifth year behind them.  “It’s Krum!

Harry watched him go then began to follow the other students in after the rest of the Durmstrang party was in.  Ron and Hermione shoved their way over to them and they could hear Ginny fighting her way up through the third years when the four of them were together.  Harry finally turned around, plunged his arm between two Hufflepuff third years, grabbed what felt like an arm, and pulled hard.

“Look what I found,” he said proudly as he pulled Ginny up against him.

“Aw,” cooed Niamh, her eyes glittering with amusement.  “Can we keep her?”

Ginny glared at the both of them and said blandly, “Ha ha ha.”

Ron – of course – was still staring after Krum.

“I don’t believe it.  Krum.  Viktor Krum!

“Ron,” said Niamh with a tilt of her head, “its not like he’s that famous.  Now…if it was, let’s say, Godric Gryffindor, then I’d be impressed.”

As they entered the entrance hall, they saw a gaggle of sixth-year girls searching their pockets.

“Probably looking for something for Krum to sign with,” said Ginny.

Ron eyed the girls then turned to Harry and asked, “Have a quill?”

Honestly!” said Hermione, grabbing Ron’s arm and dragging him into the Hall.

The three Slytherins looked at each other in amusement then followed.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“Oh, Ron’s not going to be happy about this…”

Niamh and Harry looked down the table at the Durmstrang party.  The three of them had been the last one’s in and were sitting at the end of the table beside the party.

“No, definitely not,” added the girl as Draco leaned across the table to talk to Krum.

“Ignore them,” said Ginny.  “And how come we can’t get robes like that?”

The Durmstrang students had pulled of their heavy furs, revealing robes of a deep blood red.  The girl beside Ginny heard her and smiled down at her.

“Ve are from different schools.”  She eyed Ginny and asked, “Might you be Ginny Veasley?”

Ginny looked at Harry and Niamh in surprise then said, “Yes.”

The girl smiled and pulled what looked like a hastily wrapped package from inside her robes.  She placed it on the table and pushed it towards Ginny.

“A voy named Mika Davids told me to give this to you.”

Ginny blinked then gently picked up the package, which seemed to contain something soft form the way it sank in under her fingertips.  She tucked it into her robes and said to Harry and Niamh, “I’ll open it later.”  She then turned to the girl and said, “Thank you.”

“You are velcome.”

Suddenly the staff entered and all fell quiet.  Dumbledore remained standing after the other teachers had sat and beamed at everyone.

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts, and guests.  I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts.  I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable.”

“The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast.  I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!”

The plates in front of them filled, some dishes foreign ones, and they are.  Harry began to laugh as Ron gaped at a Beauxbatons girl with a sheet of silvery-blonde hair who had walked over to stand by him and Hermione.

“What’s so funny?” asked Niamh then saw it.  “Ah-ha!” she cried, “our Ronnikins has discovered veela once more.”

“Veela?” said Ginny, turning to look.  The girl said something to Ron and Hermione then picked up a dish and carried it back to the Ravenclaw table.  Several heads followed her.

“I wonder how they do that.”

“What?” asked Harry, looking down at Niamh.  “Draw men into their webs?”

“That’s succubi, you idiot.”

“Ah, yes, but veela are not all beauty are they?  And why would you want to know?”

“I just wonder why only a few looked at her.  They didn’t do that at the Cup.”

“That’s because they were full veela, Ni.  I bet you she’s less than half.

“Bet me what?”

“The joy of one of us winning.”

“Your scared of losing.”

“Me?  Scared?  You must be joking.”

“Isn’t that Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman?” said Ginny suddenly, interrupting Harry and Niamh’s banter.

“So it is,” said Niamh as the two took the other two seats that had been set up at the Head Table.  “Here to see their tournament start, I suppose.”

Soon the plates were empty and Dumbledore rose again.  Silence fell immediately on the Hall once more.

“The moment has come.  The Triwizard Tournament is about to start.  I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in that casket – ”

“What is it, a body?” said Niamh.

“ – just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year.  Bt first, let me introduce Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports.”

“Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madam Maxime on the panel that will judge the champion’s efforts.”

“The casket now, if you please, Mr. Filch.”

Filch now approached Dumbledore, an ancient looking wooden chest encrusted with jewels cradled in his arms.  He placed it carefully on the table in front of Dumbledore then stepped back.

“The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman and they had made the necessary arrangement for each challenge.  There will be three tasks, spaced through the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways…their magical prowess – their daring – their power of deduction – and, of course, their ability to cope with danger.”

“As you know, three champions compete in the tournament, one from each of the participating schools.  They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total score after three tasks will win the Triwizard Cup.  The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire.”

Dumbledore tapped the top of the casket three times with his wand then reached in and drew out a roughly made wooden cup.  A cup brimming with blue-white flames.

The cup was sat on top of the casket as Dumbledore continued.

“Anyone wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet.  Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours to put their names forward.  Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three judged most worthy to represent their schools.  The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete.”

“To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it had been placed in the entrance hall.  No one under seventeen will be able to cross this line.”

“Finally, I wish to impress upon any of your wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered lightly.  Once the Goblet of Fire has selected a champion, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end.  The placing of  your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract.  There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion.  Please be very sure that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet.  Now, I think it is time for bed.  Good night to you all.”

“C’mon,” said Harry, rising quickly.  “Let’s try and make it out before the hoard.”

The three of them ducked, spun, and sprinted through the crowd, making it to the doors just as Karkaroff and the Durmstrang students did.  Harry stopped, holding out one hand to halt a still running Niamh and waving Karkaroff forward with the other.

“Thank you,” said Karkaroff, nodding at him.

Then he froze, his eyes locking onto Harry’s face.  Harry’s street instincts screamed at him to run at the shrewd look on the man’s face, but he fought them now, watching with slightly narrowed eyes as Karkaroff’s eyes traveled up to his scar.  The Durmstrang students were now looking at him too.

“Yes, that is Harry Potter.”

Snape had shoved his way to the fore of the crowd, black eyes focused on Karkaroff.

“Severus!”

Snape glared mildly at him and said, “Move on, Karkaroff.  You’re blocking the door.  Mr. Potter, Miss O’Feir, Miss Weasley…if you would head on to the common room.”

Harry nodded and said, “Yes, professor,” before moving past Karkaroff.  Niamh and Ginny followed him, both girls moving up to stand on either side of them.

Harry still felt Karkaroff’s eyes on him as they walked down the corridor.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

“So, Gin, let’s see what’s in the package,” said Niamh as she settled into a chair in the Hexer’s Corner.

Ginny blinked then pulled the soft package from inside her robes.

“I forgot about it…”

“Well, let’s open it, girl.  I want to see what our traveling companion has sent you.”

Ginny began to open the brown paper the package was wrapped in and Niamh leaned forward in anticipation.  Harry watched idly from where he lay sprawled on the couch, Hedwig curled up on his chest asleep.

“Oh heavens…”

“What is it?” asked Niamh, leaning forward some more.

Ginny, wide-eyed, pushed the brown paper wrapping aside and stood, unfolding a full-length gown of an amazing fiery shade, the top cut low, the shoulders laid bare by the cut between the top and the sleeves, and the whole trimmed in gleaming silver thread.

Niamh’s eyes bugged out and she breathed, “Holy saints and demons…” as Harry sat upright, waking the sleeping Hedwig and earning an angry hiss.

Ginny gaped at the dress before she collapsed into her chair, the silky fabric clasped in her face.

“This – this must’ve cost a fortune.  I can’t take this from him!”

“There’s a note,” said Harry, leaning down to pick it up.  He hand it to Ginny, who unfolded it and read it aloud in a shocked whisper.

Gin,

I know you’ll say you can’t take this from me, but – please – do take it.  The place’s here are astounding.  There’s a village not far from the school – a wizarding village like Hogsmeade.  I saw this (and let me tell you, there were hundreds more like it) and immediately saw you in it.  Please keep it.

We’ll just say it’s a Christmas present from me to you.

Mika

“Oh, Merlin,” breathed Ginny, “how did he afford this?”

“Being as his dad’s Moody, I wouldn’t be surprised,” said Niamh.  “Gin, you not thinking of giving it back, are you?”

“What else am I supposed to do?”

“Slytherin’s serpent, Ginny, you can’t return something like this!  It’s probably custom made!”

“Oh,” said Ginny, looking at the dress.  “It is very beautiful…”

“And you’ll probably look beautiful in it,” said Harry, causing the redhead to blush.  “But you’d better wrap it up and hide it at the bottom of your trunk.  Pansy’s liable to steal it.”

“And fire is not her color,” said Niamh.  “Not that she’d care, she being the all-proclaimed Slytherin Whore.”

“Don’t say that.”

“Ah.  Slytherin Wench.  How’s that?”

Harry rolled his eyes at Ginny then said, “Hardly better.  I’m off to bed.  You do know the Locking Charm, don’t you, Gin?”

“Yes.  Goodnight, Harry.”

“’Night, Gin, Ni.”

“’Night, mate.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1334