What is family? by Azuredragon
Summary: Harry has a tougher time than anyone thought. Not only is he caught up in the war between light and dark, but the on going battle between the realms of magic and science as well. What can a young boy and a tetchy Potions Master do to help one another? And what is said Potion Masters fathers’ role in this?
Categories: Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 46774 Read: 67703 Published: 26 May 2007 Updated: 12 Oct 2007
Chapter 2: All aside in desperation by Azuredragon
Author's Notes:
Random chatter: I apologise for the spelling and grammar errors you are likely to come across. I try to get them all, but I guess my English skills still leave something to be desired. . . .

Panic set in! It was a one way portkey! And the curses!. . . . Missed?

Harry threw his eyes open and searched the scene frantically for what was to come next. ‘New plan! Need a new plan, huh?’

A silvery barrier shimmered weakly before his eyes. ‘Did that stop the attacks? But it looks damaged. How long will it last? Who cast it??’

Shifting his head slightly he saw the hem of a black robe and looked up in dread.

A Deatheater! They already had him. ‘The silver thing must be a containment barrier and-!’

Harry’s mind stopped its alarmed rant and he listened in confused intensity as a harsh and cold voice spoke.

“What is the meaning of this? Was the Dark Lord not forgiving when you begged for forgiveness? Was he not merciful when you pleaded your loyalty and wish to return to him!? How dare you! I promise you that you shall suffer dearly for this Severu-”

Harry did not hear the end of that sentence. The darkly cloaked figure dipped down with immense speed, gripped tightly onto Harry and pulled something out of a hidden pocket.

Before his mind could register what was happening Harry felt a sudden ‘tug’ and pressure from acceleration as the three bodies left the graveyard.

Re-opening his eyes Harry could see that the dark figure was already up and talking to something that quickly flew out of the window.

He closed his eyes again. The pain that had been blissfully forgotten for but a breath of time racked his body with vengeance and his head swam.

‘What happened? What? Whe-? The Tournament. The cup, a portkey! Graveyard. The Dark Lord! Wormtail. And, Cedric. . . No. . . NO! CEDRIC!! Cedric’s-!!’

Panic filled him once again, but this time it was accompanied by utter despair. ‘I couldn’t save him. . .’

“Shut up!” a cold voice demanded, as if it knew what was going on inside the boy’s head. “I swear Potter, if you allow yourself to break now I shall take you back there myself!”

Harry’s eyes shot up at the sharp threat only to meet with the obsidian eye’s he so loathed.

Speechless and still shaking he took in the face that regarded him back.

Little expression was ever seen on that pale mask, but Harry recognised the slight traces of emotion that broke through now because he currently shared a number of them.

How could anyone who had witnessed what they just had not know fear?

The door burst open and an aged wizard entered with a red and golden bird perched upon his shoulder. He took in the scene before him then hurriedly strode over to kneel by a silently sobbing Harry.

“Let him go Harry,” he whispered.

‘No!’ Harry shook his head silently.

“You have done well in bringing him here Harry. You have brought him home. Now let him go.”

Harry loosened his grip ever so slightly and a strong hand made no hesitation of quickly pulling it the rest of the way from the body beside him.

Speeded footsteps sounded towards them. One had a heavy ‘clunk’ as every other step.

“Headmaster Dumbledore what on earth is goin-!!” The elderly witch stopped mid breath in a stifled scream.

She stepped backwards and looked up shakily as the limping, tattered wizard caught up to her and surveyed the scene widely. “What happened?” he growled, and snarling at Snape he added. “What have you done?”

The Headmaster pulled Harry up from the floor and half carried him to one of the soft chairs.

“Severus, I believe, has played an important role in tonight’s affairs, bringing Harry and, Cedric, back to us. Alistair, Minerva. Please take the, unfortunate boy, down to the Hospital wing. His parents and Head of House should be contacted immediately,” the Headmaster said quietly.

“I’d think it best if I stayed to hear the details Albus,” argued Moody, but the Headmaster shook his head.

“I will fill you in on any necessary information in due time. For now however. . .” He trailed off and indicated the door with an air of finality.

If he had, had the energy or care to observe the scene Harry would have noticed Moody’s obvious reluctance to leave. Instead he sat in the chair quietly patting Fawkes, and trying not to think too much on what had transpired only minutes ago.

He felt a presence approach him, but did not look up. He was too tired to do so. “Drink this,” a voice commanded. Harry felt annoyance rise within him. Why couldn’t they just leave him alone? He took the vial without protest however and downed its contents. Almost immediately the pain began to lessen, but his body still felt drained.

Looking up slowly Harry found that two of the Professors had left. The Headmaster regarded him for a moment and Harry found that he had to look away. “Are you alright, Harry?”

Harry closed his eyes and swallowed. How could he be ‘alright’ after all that had happened?

“Harry,” prodded the Headmaster gently. “You have shown much bravery up to this point. I ask that you continue to be brave for just a little while longer.”

The Phoenix beside the boy let out a single, but beautiful note of encouragement. Harry looked up and nodded.

He was tired, but the potion he had taken seemed to be numbing most of the pain and clearing his head.

“Severus?” the Headmaster spoke as he looked over to the silent man by the window. He did not need to ask the question. The Potions Master just nodded his head gloomily.

“Harry, I would like you to tell me everything that happened from when you entered the maze,” stated Dumbledore, turning his attention back to Harry.

Harry had been dreading the question. He had hoped that the Headmaster would simply ask Snape for the details. After all, he was the one who had been conscious throughout the entire ordeal!

Taking a deep breath he ploughed straight into the story anyway. From finding Fleur on the ground and Victor’s odd behaviour to his and Cedric’s agreement to take the cup together. Being transported and Cedric’s. . .

Harry took a shuddered breath, but carried on. Talking was easier now that he had started.

He gave details on how he was bound and Voldemort and Wormtail and how they revived the Dark Lord.

Harry had a short interval in which to catch his breath as Dumbledore looked at the gash in his arm.

When prompted to continue he spoke of the duel, the barrier and the ghostly figures. How he ran for the portkey, but nothing happened, then. . . As realisation dawned upon him, “Snape cast a defensive barrier over us. . . He-” Harry did not finish. He didn’t know how to. ‘How can that be?’ he thought. ‘Snape? Snape, saved us??’

Professor Snape, Harry,” Dumbledore admonished gently. “Yes. I can see that he has risked a great deal tonight in order to protect you.”

Harry could hear the Potions Master shifting uncomfortable behind him, but he ignored it. All he could think of was, ‘Why?’

A sliver of guilt rose within him. He knew that Snape had endangered himself in order to save Harry, and that he should be grateful. But he was just too tired to care.

Dumbledore obviously noticed the boy’s level of exhaustion for he helped Harry out of the chair and led him towards the door. “I think for now it would be best if you got some well earned rest my boy. Thank you for telling me all that you have.”

Opening the door Harry’s heart lightened slightly. A bear sized, black dog stood mid-pace and turned its head up to look at them both. It hurried towards them, but stopped short at the sight of a third figure appearing in the doorway.

Narrowing its eyes the dog barred its teeth and let out a warning growl.

Snape eyed the dog with disdain then turned his attention to Harry, handing him another vial. “Dreamless sleep potion Potter. I suggest you take it once Madam Pomfrey has seen to you. It will help you to heal through the night and, hopefully, keep you from getting into any more trouble.”

The dog’s growl grew louder and deeper, but Harry took the vial silently and simply nodded before transferring his weight from the Headmaster to the dog.

“Please take care Harry,” said Dumbledore as he watched them walk slowly out of sight. He then shut the door. “Thank you, Severus.” Was all he could say. Snape just bowed his head. “I know that you are probably tired as well, but I ask you, once again, for a report.”

Furry paws turned into strong arms as they pulled Harry into a tight embrace. “Harry! Are you alright?” Sirius asked urgently.

Harry nodded grimly. “Yeah. . .”

Sirius looked over him thoroughly, but asked no more. Harry was grateful to his Godfather for understanding that he would only want rest. He smiled weakly at him.

“I’ll stay with you for the night, but I’ll have to come as Snuffles so that no-one recognises me.”

“Thanks Sirius,” said Harry meaningfully.

----------------- Later that night --------------------

Harry awoke in the hospital wing to the sound of a heated argument.

“He can’t be back Dumbledore. He just can’t be.!” yelled one voice.

Harry decided that it would be safer to act like he was still sleeping, so that he did.

“I am afraid it is true Minister.”

“No, no, no! Dumbledore. I won’t accept this!”

“It has been witnessed by two people I trust deeply Minister. The Dark Lord has returned.”

“Oh? And who are these ‘trustworthy’ sources? Hm?” quipped Fudge.

Harry felt anger prickle inside of him. After everything that had happened. Knowing everything that was going to happen! The Minister was going to ignore it all in hopes that it would just ‘go away’ or ‘not be true.’

Apparently Harry was not the only one who had heard enough. He heard a nearby bed creak as a figure got up and stalked over to the two quarrelling wizards.

Annoyed beyond measure and still in his nightshirt, Snape thrust his left forearm under the Minister’s nose.

“There!” he snapped. “The Dark Mark. The Dark Lord summoned his followers to him tonight in order to bear witness to his revival!”

Fudge recoiled and gaped at Snape as if he were some rouge Dementor.

“I don’t know what you and your staff are playing at Dumbledore, but I’ve had enough!” Replacing his purple bowler hat he strode meaningfully towards the door. “Good day!”

The door slammed shut leaving the hospital wing silent with the exception of Sirius’ growling and Madam Pomfrey’s angered mumblings.

Harry raised his head in concern, forgetting his ploy. “What will happen now?”

In the darkness of the room he felt a cold nose press against him reassuringly.

The Headmaster thought for a moment before speaking. “The first and most important step will be to alert those who have ears to listen as to what is happening. We must gain as many friends as possible in such a dire time.”

Three heads nodded in agreement, but no-one spoke a word.

“Also, we should start by recognising those who stand with us for who they really are.” With that the Headmaster turned his attention to the black dog. “If you could please resume your original form?”

Sirius stood and transformed back into his human self, sending Snape a step back with a look of contorted anger and disgust.

You!” he spat.

The two dark haired men eyed each other with looks that offered nothing more than ill will and hatred.

Harry wondered briefly what could have happened for such a strong sense of loathing to have formed between them.

Dumbledore stepped up to the two men. “I believe it is time to set aside our differences and offer a truce.” When no movement ensued he added, “I will, for the time being, settle for short term toleration.”

Reluctantly the two extended a hand each and shook them so briefly that, if he had blinked, Harry was sure he would have missed it. D

umbledore sighed but decided not to press the matter.

“Sirius, the Minister will undoubtedly be avoiding me for the time being. Seek out Amelia Bones, Arabella Figg, Mundungus Fletcher, the old crowed. Alert them to the current situation then lay low at Remus’ house until I contact you.”

Sirius nodded his head in understanding.

“No. . .” whispered Harry. He had only just got Sirius back. Why did he have to leave so soon? It wasn’t fair!

Sirius turned and knelt beside Harry’s bed, gripping his hand tightly. “It’ll be okay Harry. Right now I have to go, but I will be with you soon okay?”

Harry nodded. It wasn’t okay. It really wasn’t. But this was no time to be selfish. Bigger things were at risk than his own desires right now.

“Potter is a big boy now, I am sure he will survive the night,” sneered Snape.

Sirius glared at him.

Squeezing Harry’s hand one last time he reverted back to his dog form and ran towards the door.

Severus turned to the Headmaster and began to speak, but was immediately cut off.

“You have done all that you can do for us tonight, Severus,” spoke Dumbledore.

“The only thing I want for you, and Harry, to concentrate on right now is resting, and recovering your strength. I feel, that we are going to need it.”

So saying the Headmaster also left the hospital wing, leaving Harry alone in the big room with his dreaded Potions teacher.

‘Great!’ he thought viciously to himself. ‘How on earth am I to sleep now!? Alone in a room for the night with that man, I probably won’t wake up at all!’

The bed groaned as Severus got back into it.

“Stop your ramblings Potter and go to sleep. If I had wanted you harmed or dead you would not be here now!”

Harry snorted, but lay down into the pillows as instructed. His body was so tired.

Several minutes of tossing and turning told Harry that he would not be sleeping any time soon. He did not want to let his mind wander back onto past topics so he decided to think about future ones instead.

‘What’s next?’ he wondered.

Unable to come up with anything within the realms of positive outcomes, Harry desperately wished that Sirius had stayed after all. He would never admit to such a thing but in all truth he was terrified.

The Dark Lord had risen and was regaining strength by the minute! He had barely survived the last few years at Hogwarts and those attacks were made by mere shadows of Voldemorts power!

His restlessness did not go unnoticed and Harry heard an irritated voice scold him once again.

“Potter! Go. To. Sleep.”

“I can’t,” moaned Harry.

“Then lay there, stay still and be quiet!”

“How can you sleep knowing what might be happening right now!?”

“Much more easily than with your incessant fidgeting! Now are you going to be quiet or do I have to cast a full body binding spell on you?”

Harry fell silent, but only for a moment. He needed to talk to somebody, even if that somebody was a reluctant Snape.

“What’s going to happen?”

Snape was quiet for a long time. Harry thought that he was being ignored until the Professors voice sounded.

“The Headmaster will have a well contrived plan. Do not concern yourself, go to sleep.”

“But. . . What if the Dementors come?”

“There are no Dementors here Potter and I fully expect that the Dark Lord will want to keep a low profile until he has fully recovered, not to send repulsive monsters to attack schools.”

“But how can you be sure?

“It is an intelligent guess!”

“But what if-“

“POTTER!”

“. . . . .”

Harry figured that, that was probably the end of the conversation.

He had to admit though. As much as he wasn’t really reassured by Snapes ‘intelligent guess,’ he did feel a bit better.

‘Perhaps he’s not completely evil. He did save my life. And he could have just ignored me just now rather than try to put my mind at rest. . .’

“Potter?”

“Yes Sir?”

“10 points from Gryffindor for disturbing a Professors rest.”

‘Git.’

To be continued...
End Notes:
From the next chapter onwards I’ll be working this into my own story rather than just my own version of what’s already happened in JK’s inspiring novels. I guess that means that it will become somewhat AU, but meh, all fanfics get that in some degree I feel.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and please R&R.

Chapter 3: Harry and Snape have to stay under Hogwarts’ protection for a while. Will they put up with each other, kill each other, or simple ignore one another? (Well, it wouldn’t be any fun if they didn’t interact now would it?)

“Even the rain brings life.”


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1346