The Triwizard Keeper by Eniledam
Summary: Written for the Triwizard Guardian Challenge. Dumbledore thinks that Harry needs someone to help him through this uncertain "tournament." Who would you choose?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Prompts: Triwizard Watcher
Challenges: Triwizard Watcher
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 5430 Read: 25792 Published: 18 Jul 2007 Updated: 07 Nov 2007
The Maze by Eniledam
Author's Notes:
I'm back from vacation!!! And it's a LONG chapter :)

Disclaimer: I do not own any part of the Harry Potter world... just use the characters for my own enjoyment!

It was the eve of the Third Task in the Triwizard Tournament. A warm night, it was almost sickly the way the humidity made one's skin stick together in fleshy folds while the action of breathing made you feel like you were inhaling water instead of oxygen.

But despite these conditions, thousands of people (students and teachers alike) were all crammed tightly into the stadium facing a gigantic maze... one that seemed to stretch on for kilometers at a time.

The youngest Triwizard Champion, Harry Potter was now seated on the bench beside the judge's panel alongside the other older champions. His glasses were collecting moisture from his sweaty brow and green eyes were darting to and fro, glancing ever so often at the audience that had gathered to watch the historic event. Beside him was Cedric Diggory, the rightful champion of Hogwarts. Cedric's father was wedged on his son's other side, giving encouragement and advice. Mr. Diggory's expression was one of pure delight, excited and proud that his son might compete in this famous experience.

Harry's eyes shifted to watch the Diggorys. His eyes darted away quickly, trying to suppress the little voice inside of him that cried out silently for someone to give him some comfort, a reassurance that he would make it through this damned maze. Harry had been quite surprised when the Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had turned up, but it just wasn't the same. They belonged to Ron... not him.

Professor Dumbledore strolled down the green towards the champions, his glasses glinting in the torchlight. His eyes, normally twinkling merrily, were now hard and piercing. Harry gulped and wiped his sweaty palms surreptitiously on his robes.

"Good Evening, Champions." He said solemnly.

All of the Champions sat a little straighter. Fleur stopped flipping the ends of her hair.

"Congratulations on making it this far into the tournament. In the next fifteen minutes you are able to say goodbye to your families and accept wishes of good luck. I urge you to take advantage of this opportunity, no matter what form your family takes."

Harry, whose insides had been sinking slowly throughout the entire speech, now looked up warily to meet the confused stares of the other champions.

"Good Luck to you all." Dumbledore gave them all a slight smile and briefly caught Harry's gaze, he winked. "Mr. Bagman will be in soon to explain the rules."

Dumbledore left the Champion area.

Cedric went back to talking with his father and the other champions to their teachers. Harry curled farther into himself and stared blankly at the grass in front of him. The cheers of the crowd seemed to have grown louder after Dumbledore left them. A sense of loss stole over him and Harry blinked away some wetness in his eyes.

Always alone... Harry still didn't know who had put his name in the Goblet, but he had the feeling that his entry had more than purpose. It wasn't only to kill him, but to isolate him... make him feel alone.

And it's working, damn it! Harry thought, close to panic. Haven't they had enough already?

Harry glanced over again at Cedric and his dad, feeling a foreign sense of utter loss wash over him. He jerked suddenly to his feet, the feelings to just vanish overwhelming him. He stumbled a few feet to the small indent in the hedges, where Madame Pomfrey would be caring for the injuries that would undoubtedly happen. Harry glanced briefly over the four cots already lined up, each with a wall of greenery in between them, and lurched to the farthest bed.

Harry sat down and balled his hands into his robes again, his breath became ragged and short. Maybe if he just stayed here long enough, they would all forget about him? He didn't want this... any of this! Why could they all just leave him be... Dumbledore making him participate, Bagman and his unfair attention, Rita Skeeter and her hurtful words...

... Voldemort, for taking away the only family he ever had.

He realized dimly that the cubical was now swimming dangerously in front of his eyes and that breathing was a much more difficult task than it should have been. Now that he mentioned it... where the hell was he?

"Potter!"

Harry's eyes dart to a dark shape that was running towards his bed. Bed? Since when was he on a bed? Wasn't he on the bench?

Harry barely had time to see a hooked nose and black eyes before an icy hand grabbed the back of his neck and abruptly forced his head between his knees. He tried to lift it up, but the hand was persistent and kept a firm hold on him.

"Breathe, Potter! It's all right, just breathe. Are you listening to me? Do as I say, boy. Breathe... in, out, in, out... good, Potter."

Harry listened to the soothing rhythm of the voice and ever so slowly his breathing returned to normal. He closed his eyes and tried to lift his head again, but the hand still kept his head locked firmly between his own knees.

"Just stay still for a moment, Potter." A cold voice drawled.

Harry froze. He knew that voice.

But why was Snape here? A sudden humiliation stole over him and Harry closed his eyes, only to have them shoot open again as another freezing hand came around and pressed against his clammy forehead. He leaned into it unconsciously.

"A bit warm." Snape muttered to himself. "Potter? Are you with me?"

Harry nodded slightly, and winced immediately as the action started a pounding in his head. The cold hands slowly helped Harry sit upright, and he was then staring straight into the Snape's serious, pale face.

Snape's eyes bored into his own for a few moments before the he withdrew his hands from Harry's neck and forehead. Harry swayed slightly and Snape's hands immediately locked around his arms to keep him from pitching forward.

"Just come to yourself for moment, Potter."

"Yes, sir." Harry said, faintly.

Snape picked up his wand from beside Harry on the bed. How had that gotten there? Snape flicked it in a smooth upward motion and a little vial came hurtling from within the far hedge in the sectioned area. Snape uncorked it quickly and held it to Harry's lips.

"Drink it slowly." Snape commanded him. "You'll be sick all over, otherwise."

Harry drank the potion, with no small amount of apprehension, before he felt a wave of cool calm wash over him. Snape surveyed him and put the vial into a pocket of his robes. Snape let go of his arms and stood up, muttering something under his breath.

"Potter, why are you in here?" Snape asked him, his tone hard with just a slight underlining of... concern.

Harry cleared his throat nervously and went to stand up, it made him nervous to be sitting while Snape loomed over him. At once, the world slid crazily to one side and Snape once again took a hold of him and settled him back on the bed.

"Don't stand up, you foolish boy!" Snape snarled at him, "You've just had a panic attack for Merlin's sake!"

Harry could feel the confusion wearing out now, and feel his sense return to him slowly. He stared up at Snape, who was currently studying his eyes.

"No more dilation in the pupils..." Snape muttered to himself.

"What are you doing here, sir?" Harry asked, thoroughly creeped out that Snape was this close to him. Harry could see each greasy strand growing from Snape's head.

"What am I doing here?" Snape snarled, "Me? Have you hit that overly large head of yours? Has it occurred to you that the third task not just five minutes from beginning?"

Harry's stomach lurched as he remembered the reason he was here in the first place. The third task. Dangerous beasts, hidden challenges, no help from anyone.

"I'm gonna be sick..." Harry slurred.

"Oh no you're not!" Snape snapped at him, and shoved another potion under his nose.

Snape wasn't very patient with Harry this time, and the potion was practically forced down his throat. Harry gagged it down as best he could and the unsettled feeling in his stomach disappeared within seconds.

"Now, why are you here when you should be prancing onto your field of glory?" Snape asked him sourly; he looked as though he'd rather be anywhere else than sitting next to his least favorite student.

"I- I'm sorry, sir." Harry whispered bleakly, his shame crawling over him for being caught.

"For what?" Snape said.

Harry, now embarrassed as well as ashamed, ducked his head slightly.

"Look at me when I am speaking, Potter!"

Harry's head snapped back up and looked straight into Snape's onyx eyes.

"I just had to get away... there wasn't anyone there." Harry whispered.

Snape's eyebrows raised a fraction. "The entire school and half of Wizarding London were in those stands, Potter."

"No one for me." Harry clarified, realizing belatedly that this was a very selfish thing to say. "I don't have family to-to want me to succeed."

"Forgetting the Weasleys, are we?" Snape said, looking for all the world like kind words towards the Weasleys were costing him expensive potions ingredients. "They didn't have to come, Potter."

"I know!" Harry said quickly, "I just meant that, well, no one is there that would..."

Snape was looking at him like he thought Harry was loosing it. He sat down besides Harry on the bed and looked at him for a moment. Snape cleared his throat softly.

"Contrary to your belief, there are many people that are wishing you well, Potter." Snape said, "A parade of numerous admirers are in those stands right now."

Harry managed a small smile; "I doubt they're all there for me, sir."

"You'd be surprised."

Harry was full out beaming now, and a sudden recollection of everything Snape had done for him during this tournament came swimming in front of his eyes.

"Thanks sir."

Snape glared at him, "A word of this to anyone, Potter, and you'll be skinning shivelrigs with me until you graduate."

Harry nodded slightly. They both knew what he had meant. You're welcome.

"Now, we should be getting back to the Champions circle." Snape said, "Everyone will be wondering where their hero has gone."

Both men got up and made their way back to the opening in the hedges.

"Sir." Harry said suddenly, "How did you know where I was?"

Snape scowled to himself, "I thought you were following Moody to the back entrance of the maze. He was placing the cup inside."

"Oh."

"I heard you panting." Snape said lightly. "I should have known you'd be too noble to cheat."

Harry smiled to himself and watched as Snape swept passed him to the teachers stands. It was time for his last task... and this time he knew that at least someone was watching him.


The third task ended in disaster. Cedric Diggory had been murdered and Harry Potter was now burdened with another destiny. A professor felt their mark flare.

Peace had ended at Hogwarts.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry it took so long! Please review!!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1366