Word Up by validego
Past Featured StorySummary: Voldemort's forces are growing stronger and more organized. Despite warnings of this by the Order's spy, Harry Potter is captured. When he's rescued, will Snape be able to prove that he is useful as more than just a spy to the Order?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 116431 Read: 154561 Published: 19 Jul 2007 Updated: 24 Oct 2007
Chapter 6: What's in a Dream? by validego

 

The moment Severus Apparated to the path leading to Hogwarts, he fell to his knees.  He barely managed to stop Potter from falling off his shoulders, instead settling for controlling the fall and making it as gentle as he could.  Blood loss, the retreat of adrenaline, the exertion of the battle and the long distance, double Apparation were making him weak. 

Before he could muster up the energy to move again though, Potter suddenly screamed and clawed at his forehead.  Severus lurched forward, grabbing the boy's hands before they clawed through his skull.  The boy's eyes were screwed shut and Severus knew that it was the Dark Lord's anger at their escape that was disabling Potter.  Without further thought, he reached out and forced Potter's eyelids open and stared into the boy's frantic eyes.

Harry didn't know what Snape was doing at first.  His head hurt so badly that all he wanted was to rip his forehead completely off.  When Snape looked into his eyes, he pleaded silently with his eyes for the man to help him but only managed to whisper "Professor."  And while Snape's black eyes stared at his green ones, Harry felt the other's mind brush against his own. 

Snape didn't delve into his mind or look for memories; he merely brushed against the surface.  Harry knew that the mind couldn't be described in physical terms but if he had to describe what was happening to someone, he would say that if the mind were a sphere, then Snape was a wind rushing across the surface of it.  And as Snape blew across that surface, Harry felt the connection with Voldemort recede, slowly at first, then more quickly.  In the analogy, Harry would say that at each part of the surface of his mind that Snape crossed, the surface grew stronger. 

He knew instantly when Snape reached that part of his mind that was connected to Voldemort, because he could feel a sort of pressure as Snape began to push against Voldemort's anger, forcing it away from Harry altogether.  He felt a surge of relief the moment that Snape severed the connection and he slumped into the man's arms, his pain receding, but his mind and body now exhausted. 

Severus was exhausted too.  It was a strange form of Legilimency that he had just performed.  He had used it mildly, to touch the surface of Potter's mind and had then brought forth his skills in Occlumency, forming his own mind into a barrier.  He had found the connection, and while it hadn't seemed to be a conscious invasion, it had still been strong.  As fascinating as all this was though, he was too exhausted to give it more thought.

He could hear footsteps from a distance and pulling himself back together, he raised his wand toward the sounds.  He could see the people now.  Dumbledore, Remus and two other Order members were running toward them from the school's gates.  Severus lowered his wand and pulled Potter into his arms and stood, swaying slightly at first and then righting himself.  With Potter once more weighing him down, he began walking forward.  He had allies here, but it was of the utmost importance that they get Potter back to Hogwarts where the wards could protect them. 

Potter's head rolled over and onto his shoulder.  The teen was clearly struggling to stay conscious.  Severus leaned his head down and spoke, but with a great deal of difficulty, as he now had a significant shortness of breathe.  "Potter, stay awake!  You must keep conscious.  Open your eyes!" 

Harry did open his eyes.  He looked up at Snape, whose eyes were now facing forward.  They were moving in the direction that Snape was looking and Harry could hear others approaching.  Snape did not seem worried so Harry assumed that help had arrived.  The act of holding his own head up became too hard and he let it rest on Snape's shoulder but kept his eyes open wide, hoping that the mere act of seeing would keep him from passing out.  He just needed a moment to recover from the connection with Voldemort.  His side, which was pressed into Snape's chest, was growing moist, and he realized with a start that Snape must have been bleeding pretty badly. 

Remus ran the last few steps to the two figures, one struggling with the task of walking with the weight of a teenaged boy in his arms, and the other with eyes wide, pressed into Snape's chest as though it were a lifeline.  He reached out to Harry the second he reached him, needing to feel him to know that this was real, that Harry was really ok. 

Harry's head rolled over on the shoulder and the boy looked at him blankly before recognition lit his eyes. 

"Hi Remus." 

It was weak, but it was enough to make Remus smile. 

Albus reached them only seconds later and put his hands on each of their shoulders.  "Severus, Harry!  I'm so relieved to see you," he exclaimed.  And that relief shone in his eyes.  They were slightly moist and there were dark circles under them, as if he had not slept in weeks. 

Severus felt a lump in his throat.  He too was relieved.  He was growing weaker by the moment though and didn't think there was time for hysterics, so he let a lot of responses pass by before he chose the right one. 

"Headmaster, we must get back to the school."  He could hardly hold Potter's weight any longer and he swayed after these words for a moment.  Remus reached out to take Harry, but Harry finally seemed to be gaining back his faculties. 

"I...I think I can walk now sir."  He had felt Snape sway and realized suddenly that Snape was hurt worse than he had thought. 

For his part, Severus was grateful.  He let the boy down as gently as he could.  As Potter's feet touched the ground though, Severus stumbled and lurched forward.  Albus and Remus rushed forward to steady them both. 

Then Severus heard Lupin gasp.  "Harry!  Is that blood yours?"

His eyes snapped to Potter's body, searching for injuries.  Harry looked down at his side and gasped himself when he saw that his whole shirt was covered in blood.  He looked up at Snape and saw the man swaying under Dumbledore's grasp.  His black robes were torn badly and they looked wet.  Snape seemed very pale under the moonlight and his eyes were looking glassy. 

Harry shook his head.  "No.  The blood is Professor Snape's.  I think he's hurt badly.  We should get back quick."

Albus and Remus looked at Snape swaying, and as if to prove Potter's words correct, he took a small step forward and then crumpled to the ground.  Albus' arms around him kept him from harming himself in the fall.  Snape's eyes were still open though, and he rolled away from Albus' arms to stare at the waxing moon.  Albus knelt next to him while Remus steadied Harry with a shoulder under his arm.  It took a moment, but Snape seemed to recover slightly and Albus helped him sit up.

"I'll conjure a stretcher Severus," Albus said, but Snape was already pushing to his feet, looking determined. 

He pulled out his wand, and pointing it to his chest, chanted in a singsong voice, sealing the gashes and stopping the blood flow.  He had already lost quite a bit of blood, but he was conscious for now and felt his earlier urgency return.  Stumbling forward, each step an internal battle of his will, he called out, "Hurry!" 

The Headmaster rushed to his side and walked beside him ready to catch him if he fell.  Remus, Harry and the others were making faster progress and caught up with them.  The gates loomed above them and the Headmaster waved his wand to open them.  The group stumbled through the gates and they locked behind them.  Harry could see that others were approaching now.  Madam Pomfrey, McGonagall and Hagrid were running down the sloping lawn. 

The group continued at a brisk pace for several meters but when Snape stopped abruptly, the others stopped and eyed him with varying levels of concern.

Severus had been proud and relieved to make it to the school under his own volition, but now that they were safe behind the gates, he realized that he could no longer go on.  He saw Madam Pomfrey rushing over and he closed his eyes in relief and stopped.  She would heal Potter and himself.  His duty was done and he wanted nothing more than to sink into oblivion. 

He would not be able to make it to his dungeons to get to his potions without help and that thought filled him with no small amount of frustration.  He could feel his companion's eyes on him, watching him for weaknesses.  It was dangerous to show weakness. 

Then he opened his eyes and remembered where he was and who was with him.  No, it was safe here; relatively.  They would not exploit his injuries but heal them.  He had earned it from them tonight.

He searched out the boy's eyes.  He just wanted to assure himself that he had indeed gotten the boy here alive.  Everything was starting to take on a dreamlike quality to him, and he was having trouble recalling whether he had been successful or not. 

But Potter was standing against Lupin's side, taking the weight off his hastily healed ankle. 

Harry met his professor's eyes and, for once, felt the urge to smile in the other man's presence.  But looking at the man's face, he realized just how far gone Snape was.  He had looked sort of confused for a moment, but when he looked at Harry, he gave what Harry could only describe as a sigh of relief and closed his eyes again.

Severus closed his eyes, relieved that he hadn't imagined the escape.  Lord!  Everything seemed cloudy in his mind.  He couldn't concentrate at all.  He hoped that closing his eyes would help but it only made him sway more.  The thought of lying down on the cool grass was starting to seem more and more inviting to him.  And why was he so light headed?

Before he could decide what he wanted to do though, his arm erupted in pain.  Hissing, he grabbed his forearm.  The mark was burning with a vengeance.  The pain, on top of everything else was crippling.  He felt someone reach out and touch his shoulder and he stepped away quickly to avoid the touch. 

It was too much.  His evasion of the hand knocked him over.  He crashed to ground, groaning and clawing at his arm.  The pain was reaching for a crescendo, sending waves of radiating pain up his arm and into his chest.  He felt he would explode if he let the pain continue to climb in intensity.  Before it could crash down on him, he finally gave up and let the dark and painlessness of sleep take him. 

Harry stepped forward and fell on his knees gracelessly by Snape's side.  "Professor?  Professor!"  He reached out and shook the man's shoulder.  The Headmaster was at Snape's other side, looking horrified but feeling for a pulse. 

Madam Pomfrey had finally reached them and she began waving her wand over Snape's body.  "He's lost quite a bit of blood.  We need to get him to the hospital." 

Albus reached out to tuck some of Severus' hair behind an ear, noticing for the first time that his hands were bloodied from touching Severus.  He stepped back to allow Madam Pomfrey to conjure a stretcher for Severus. 

Albus couldn't stop staring at Severus' blood; his Severus' blood.  He had seen Severus injured before of course, but rarely as bad as he was now.  Severus had always made it to the school without passing out before and had always been himself through the pain, sarcastic humor and all.  Albus, not for the first time, realized how much he cared for the younger man, not that that had ever stopped him from sending the man into danger.  If he had ever had a son, he would have been honored for that son to be like Severus. 

Those thoughts drove him and in the next second, he snapped into action.  After all these years, he was not going to fail Severus now.

McGonagall was torn between going to Harry's or Severus' side, but since Harry was still kneeling by Snape, she was able to do both.  Putting her hand on Harry's shoulder, she knelt down and placed her other hand on Severus' arm. 

"Harry, come with me.  We need to get you both to the hospital," she said softly.  Harry just stared silently down at Snape as the Headmaster levitated him onto the stretcher.  "Harry?" she tried again. 

He finally looked up and nodded.  She could see how exhausted he was.  He had bruises and cuts too, but they seemed to be at least partially healed.  He rose unsteadily to his feet with her help.  She could tell that he was experiencing some mild form of shock. 

"Harry, let me conjure a stretcher for you.  You're in no condition to be walking."  He seemed about to protest but was interrupted by Hagrid.

Hagrid was practically weeping.  Great large tears were leaking down his cheeks but he was smiling widely at Harry.  "Harry, I knew the Professor would find you."  He looked like he wanted to hug Harry but was too afraid of hurting him. 

Harry tried to smile back but it turned into a grimace as he placed some weight on his injured ankle. 

"Harry, you're hurt!  You shouldna be walking." 

Before Harry could get a word out, Hagrid reached out and pulled him up into his arms.  Whatever Harry would have said died on his lips.  He was too tired to argue and too comfortable being carried to care.  Everyone started walking silently up to the castle.  Harry looked up at Hagrid, his first friend ever, and smiled. 

"Hagrid?" he said. 

"Yeah, Harry?" 

"Thanks." 

Hagrid beamed down at him and Harry felt his heart warm.  He was more happy than he ever thought possible.  Hours before he had known that he was going to die.  Now here he was, safe at Hogwarts and with his friends.  For the first time since Sirius had died, he felt that he might be the luckiest boy in the world.  And while he knew that that feeling might not last ‘til the morn, he was happy to let it wash over him now.  The gentle motion of Hagrid's strides lulled him into a light sleep as they made their way to the hospital wing and the soft murmurs of conversation between the nurse and the other professors washed over him. 

He had only fallen into a light doze, so he woke up immediately when he was placed on the hospital bed.  Remus took up a spot standing at the foot of his bed, looking as though he wanted a task but not knowing what to do.  Hagrid stood back with a concerned expression.  The rest of the inhabitants seemed to be milling around Snape's bed, following the nurse's orders as she barked them out.

"Alrigh' Harry?" Hagrid asked, causing Harry to turn his attention from the occupant of the other bed. 

"Yeah, I think so."  He was sore and his whole body was shivering slightly.  But he didn't want to worry Hagrid, so he asked after Hedwig. 

"Hagrid?  Do you know if Hedwig showed up here?  I'm worried about her.  I let her out at the Dursley's and I don't know if she went back." 

Hagrid's face lit up.  "I don't know Harry, but I'll go look for yeh."  He seemed delighted to have a job to do, especially one that meant so much to Harry. 

Harry gave him a large smile.  "Thanks, Hagrid!" 

"No problem Harry," he called over his shoulder as he set off for the owlery. 

Harry looked up to see Remus watching Hagrid go with an envious expression.  Harry almost smiled.  If he weren't too far off, he'd say that Remus wanted to do something as well.  Remus looked back down to Harry and smiled when their eyes met. 

"Harry, I'm so happy to see you again.  I've missed you.  I was so worried when we found out you'd been taken, but I should have known that you'd find some way to get away," he chuckled. 

Harry smiled sheepishly.  "Well, I didn't really do anything you know?  Snape was the one who got us out." 

"Professor Snape, Harry," Remus smiled.  Then his smile dropped as he looked over to the bed next to theirs, where Albus and Poppy were cleaning wounds and pouring potions down a sleeping man's throat carefully. 

Harry felt guilty all of a sudden for not using Snape's title.  He'd never felt bad about it before, but now he felt that perhaps the man deserved much more of his respect than he'd given him.  But he'd think about that later, when he wasn't so dead tired.  Instead, he asked Remus about his trunk. 

"Remus, my wand was in my trunk and I left it outside of the Dursley's house.  I bet they already burned everything though," Harry said with no small amount of bitterness.  Now that he said it, he believed it.  His wand, his books, everything he owned was in that trunk.  He couldn't help the stricken look on his face at that.  Most of those things could be replaced, but not his wand. 

Remus saw this and had a sudden smile on his face.  "We found your trunk outside your relatives' house.  It's at Headquarters right now." 

Seeing Harry's face lighten at that news, Remus couldn't resist the urge to be doing something to make Harry happy.  "I'll just go and bring it to you, if you want."  He wanted to stay by Harry's side but there was nothing he could do in the hospital wing to help and he was restless now that Harry had been found.  He was relieved and delighted at Harry's sudden smile. 

"Thanks Remus!" he exclaimed. 

Remus felt his heart soar.  Harry could still smile after all that had happened to him.  Everything was going to be okay.  He gave Harry a quick hug and spoke with Albus before leaving to get Harry's trunk. 

After Remus left, Harry didn't have long to wait until the Headmaster and Madam Pomfrey were at his bedside.  The nurse scowled when she found out that his trembling was caused by curses.  She gave him potions for that and his bones.  She was surprised that Harry seemed half healed already, but neither she nor Albus pushed for more information when they saw Harry glancing sheepishly at Professor Snape's still form. 

The Headmaster smiled at him knowingly though.  "Well Harry, you should be resting now," he said as Madam Pomfrey finished with him and moved off to clean off the medical trays and put away potions.  "Try to get some sleep and we'll talk in the morning." 

Harry was watching Snape's chest rise and fall.  The man was very pale and if it weren't for that motion, Harry might have thought he was dead. 

The Headmaster seemed to know what Harry was thinking.  "Your Professor will be fine by the morning Harry.  He has lived through worse," he continued at Harry's disbelieving look. 

Harry finally did look up at him then.  "Worse, sir?" he croaked out.

Chuckling lightly, as much to put Harry at ease as himself, he said, "Don't worry Harry.  It would take a lot more than what happened tonight to kill Professor Snape.  He's too stubborn, you know.  He's just lost a good deal of blood, but Madam Pomfrey has him on the mend now." 

Harry smiled a little at that.  It seemed like a good assessment of his potions professor. 

Albus still wanted to sit by Severus' side.  He believed what he had told Harry, but he still would have felt better by lingering.  He did not, however, want to worry Harry by doing so, so after Harry told him the abridged story of what had happened until Snape arrived, he bid Harry goodnight with instructions to sleep and left. 

Madam Pomfrey fussed over his bedding for a little while before turning down the lights and leaving herself.  She did stop to check Snape's condition one last time though.

The hospital wing was dark and silent now.  Harry couldn't even hear his Professor breathing.  He was exhausted but for some reason, he couldn't get to sleep.  His mind just wouldn't stop pestering him.  He hadn't been able to take any sleeping potions because of the other potions he'd been given.  His body was a lot less sore than it had been.  He could feel the potions working on his rib and ankle, but it was nowhere near as bad as the time he had had to take Skelegrow because of Lockhart.  His trembling had stopped because of another potion, designed for the after effects of the Cruciatus.  The cuts and bruises on his body were covered with a balm.  If he moved, he could feel them pulling tight, but it was not painful.  He had come to the hospital wing a bit better off than he had been when he left Voldemort's stronghold.  That turned his thoughts again back to the quiet form in the bed directly to his left.

Snape had healed him, first with potions in the dungeons and then with some sort of chant during their escape.  And then later, when they had been on the path leading to the gates of Hogwarts, Snape had pushed Voldemort out of his mind.  And he had done all of that for Harry as he slowly bled nearly to death.  Harry turned his thoughts to the potions that he had just taken.  Had Snape made them too?  He was the school's only potion's master.  Of course, Madam Pomfrey probably knew quite a bit about healing potions, but could she create the more complicated ones?  She was very skilled, but she was a nurse, not a fully trained Healer.  Was Snape also responsible for the potions healing his body now? 

Harry felt a twinge of guilt go through him.  He had been sure that Snape was a traitor.  He had even secretly wished that he could hex the man unconscious at many points during his capture.  Even before his capture, he had hated Snape, blaming him at least in part, for Sirius' death.  Then Snape had rushed into the dungeons and battled their way to safety.  He had come through for Harry when Harry had been defenseless, in pain and without hope.  And it wasn't the first time that Snape had tried to save his life.

Harry's couldn't help but remember the strange chant that Snape had been speaking as he had carried Harry through the woods to safety.  It had been more than just a healing spell.  It had made Harry feel safe and watched out for.  But that must have been the nature of the spell, because even if Snape was always saving him, he certainly didn't think Snape liked him enough to care about whether he felt safe and cared for or not. 

But that made Harry stop.  The spell had come from Snape and it had felt at the time as though it had been Snape himself that those thoughts had come from.  These confusing thoughts were swirling around Harry's mind as he finally fell asleep. 

He was running through a forest, spells flying overhead as he stumbled through the thick undergrowth.  He was frantic to escape but no matter how fast he ran, the spell lights just came closer, until he was hit and fell to the ground.  Looking up, he could make out the dark figure of Professor Snape walking toward him.  The professor knelt over Harry's body and pulled him into his arms.  Snape was covered in blood and seemed badly injured but he was holding Harry's body close and chanting softly.  Whatever Snape was doing was taking away all of his pain and fear and confusion.  Harry didn't know why he did what he did next, but he couldn't stop himself no matter how hard he tried.  He raised his wand and pointed it at Snape.  Snape stopped chanting and looked at him with black eyes rimmed with red.  As Harry spoke the words that would kill his Professor, someone nearby screamed.  Looking around his dead professor he saw...himself.  "What are you doing?" his other self screamed.  It was too late though.  He had killed Professor Snape.  His other self pointed his finger at him accusingly.  "You've done it now.  Who will save you?  You're going to die and now no one will care about it."  The accusing alter ego disappeared and Harry sank to his knees crying, surrounded by a blinding fog.  "What have I done?  What have I done?" 

Then, out of the fog, a hand rested on his shoulder and he looked up into the eyes of his professor, still covered in blood.  "Potter, wake up," he said, but Harry didn't understand.  He had killed Snape.  Was he dead now too?  "Potter, wake up!" Snape yelled at him as he continued to rock back and forth screaming, "What have I done?"

Severus had been sleeping.  For once he had had no dreams or nightmares.  It was the sleep of the deeply exhausted.  He had been revived at one point long enough to swallow some blood replenishing potions, but he had fallen back asleep immediately afterwards, only slightly aware of the figures around him applying a balm to his cuts.  At first, he didn't know what had woken him in the early hours of the morning.  Then he heard another whimper. 

He tried hard for several minutes to crack his tired eyes open and then to make sense of where he was.  Another whimper broke the silence of the night.  And then he remembered what had happened; he must be in the hospital wing. 

He felt no pain from his cuts and he was no longer lightheaded from blood loss, but he was exhausted.  After several attempts at sitting up, he finally convinced his sluggish body to respond.  He could barely see anything in the darkness of the hospital wing.  Soft moonlight broke through several windows, but his eyes were still adjusting to the scant light.  Another whimper off to his right pulled his attention that way. 

After several seconds of blinking, he realized that someone was in that bed.  Reaching out to the bedside table, he found his wand.  Then, after several seconds of gathering his energy, he stood.  At first, he swayed from the sleep that still clouded his mind, but he regained his equilibrium as his blood circulated through his body. 

That's a nice feeling, he thought.  Having enough blood to stand.  Stepping toward the whimpering form, he heard Harry Potter's voice break the silence yet again. 

"What have I done?" it whispered. 

So.  Potter was having a nightmare.  As Snape stepped closer, he raised his wand and its tip flared with light.  Blinking away from the brightness, he moved closer to Potter.  The teen was shaking and tears were streaking down his cheeks.  As Snape drew closer, the boy started chanting softly, "What have I done?" over and over again.  His body was shaking worse now and the tears were soaking the pillow beneath him. 

Sighing, he reached out and placed a hand on the boy's shoulder.  "Potter, wake up," he whispered. 

The boy stopped speaking, but he was shaking even worse now.  Putting both of his hands on Potter's shoulders, he shook the boy a little.  "Potter, wake up!" he said with more force. 

Harry's eyes flew open.  At first, he was unaware of where he was.  Then he saw Snape still holding his shoulders and he bolted upright.  As Snape made to pull away from him, Harry's arms darted out and grabbed the professor's arms. 

"You're alive!" he cried, with no small amount of relief on his face. 

Severus was surprised at first and a little taken aback by being grabbed, but the look on the boy's face was strange.  Tears were still falling down the boy's cheeks and he looked desperate for Severus to say something.  He was more than a little surprised by the concern that crept into the boy's eyes as he stood there motionless and silent for several long seconds.  Then Potter let out a sob that was followed by the most pitiful and pleading look Snape had ever seen on the boy's face. 

"Professor?" Harry cried in desperation. 

Why wasn't the man speaking?  He had to speak.  The dream was still so fresh in his mind.  He wanted; no he needed to know that the professor was real and alive, that he hadn't killed him. 

Potter still had a firm grip around his arms.  Severus was exhausted and didn't know how to respond.  He just wanted to sleep.  He could easily break the grip around his arms, but something in the boy's eyes stopped him.  Too exhausted to stay standing crouched over the bed; he sat on the edge.  Potter moved even closer, looking half crazed. 

Pulling himself together, Severus said, "Potter, kindly loosen your grip.  It is uncivilized to grab people in the middle of the night." 

It had been intended as a barb, but it came out with much less force than Severus had been intending.  The boy just looked too desperate.  Something like relief flashed in the boy's eyes and he loosened his grip, but did not let go entirely. 

"Professor Snape," the boy said softly, as if that qualified as an entire sentence.  His body was still shaking but his tears had stopped.  Severus could not comprehend what had upset the boy so much.  Upon further consideration though, he remembered how horrible his own nightmares had been at certain times in his life and thought that he might just understand.  The boy was obviously trying to regain a sense of reality. 

"Potter, you were having a nightmare.  You're awake now.  This is reality." 

It seemed that his words had the desired effect, for the boy loosened his grip until his hands were just resting on Severus' forearms and his shoulders slumped a little, releasing some tension. 

Harry closed his eyes for a moment and put his head down, but the professor reached out and lightly grabbed his chin, forcing him to look up.  Snape had a concerned expression on his face now. 

"Was it the Dark Lord?" he asked, searching Harry's eyes for the truth. 

Harry shook his head slightly.  "No, just a nightmare," he said in a whisper, now embarrassed by his actions.  He let his arms drop completely away and looked down again.

Snape watched closely for a moment more, debating whether he should do something more.  There didn't seem to be anything to say though, so he slowly stood. 

"Go back to sleep, Potter," he said.  He started to turn away, but the boy reached out again and touched his arm lightly. 

Severus turned back, fully prepared to yell at the little brat to go back to bed, but Potter was already speaking. 

"I'm sorry Professor.  I...I just wanted to make sure.  You're ok now?" 

Several rude comments passed through Snape's mind, but the boy just looked so pitiful.  It usually wouldn't bother him at all, but perhaps tonight, he was just too tired to be himself.  He settled for staring sternly at the boy until he looked away.  Finally he said, "Go. To. Bed. Potter." 

Harry looked up again and before Snape turned, he said, "I just wanted to say thank you sir.  For everything." 

He almost said it too softly to hear, but Snape did hear it and just stared at him.  Finally Harry looked down again. 

After another moment of silence, Snape said, "Goodnight, Mr. Potter," and walked away. 

Behind him, Harry said, "Goodnight, Professor." 

Neither of them said another word as they settled down for sleep again.  After a short time, Snape could hear Potter's breathing even out in sleep and finally he closed his own eyes and sank back into his own blessedly dreamless oblivion.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1367