Harry Potter and the Bond by rachlan
Summary: Harry Potter wakes the morning of his 16th birthday in excruciating pain. Something tells Harry that the solution lies at Hogwarts, with his... Potions teacher? What is going on?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2445 Read: 7920 Published: 17 Aug 2007 Updated: 19 Aug 2007
Chapter 3: A Conniving Old Man by rachlan

“Fine,” the potion’s master growled. “Good day,” he said, nodding to the two remaining wizards before he swept out of the room.

Albus and Harry stared at each other for a moment before Albus broke the silence.

“So my boy, what do you want to do for your birthday?”

Harry looked at the older man in surprise. He hadn’t been expecting to do anything.

“Well I-”

Before Harry could say another word, a now- familiar blinding pain raced through his body. He grimaced at the headmaster before grinding out, “Gotta go.” With that, Harry raced- well, more like hobbled quickly- out the door and down the revolving staircase.

After Harry left, Albus sat still for a moment with a thoughtful look on his face. He reached over to pet Fawkes’ head.

“Well,” he said to the beautiful phoenix, “my plan is working out nicely.”

Fawkes cocked his head and looked questioningly at his human.

“Yes, yes, I did indeed initiate this bond for the sake of my boys.”

The bird gave a look that would have been a scoff if he was a human.

Albus continued. “I mean it, Fawkes. Those two have to learn how to get along. They are always at each other’s throats. Only if they cooperate will they be able to defeat Voldemort- together. And how better to learn how to get along that to be stuck within ten feet of one another.”

The slightly barmy headmaster laughed in delight.

“This should be interesting,” he stated before he again focused on the parchments in front of him.

**********

Harry found Severus in the Great Hall eating breakfast. As if on cue, Harry’s stomach growled loudly. He sat down at the closest chair to the head table and both men heaved a sigh of relief.

“’Bout time you got here,” Severus grumbled.

Harry blushed a little. “Sorry sir. I was talking to the headmaster about something and just… forgot. I will remember from now on.”

Severus gazed at him in contempt. “See that you do. As a result of this unfortunate… affliction… you will come with me to my lab after we finish eating. In spite of your abysmal performance in my class, I am sure you can manage some simple cleaning or chopping while I make potions for Pomfrey.”

Harry nodded in resignation. He should have known that being- linked- to a potion’s professor wouldn’t be any better than living at the Dursley’s. He would be treated like a house elf here too. ‘Why can’t I ever have a normal summer?’ he wondered grumpily. He sighed inwardly before he responded to his teacher, “Yes sir.”

Food arrived in front of Harry moments later and he began to eat, thinking that out of all his past birthdays, this was the best yet, mainly because of the fact that he was back at Hogwarts. ‘Maybe I could ask Dumbledore if Ron and Hermione could come visit,’ he thought. ‘Oh right. I’m still mad at them for forgetting my birthday. Well, it would still be nice to see them. I’m sure it will be really boring here if I see no one other than Snape.’ He groaned inwardly at the thought. A whole month being within ten feet of Snape! ‘What did I do to deserve this!’

Too soon for Harry’s liking, Snape’s voice intruded on his depressing thoughts.

“Potter! We’re leaving, now. Come on, hurry up. I don’t have all day waiting for your lazy butt.”

‘I am not lazy,’ was Harry’s only thought as he reluctantly stood up and followed the grouchy man out of the Great Hall and headed for the dungeons.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1381