To Have a Father by Crystal Cove
Summary: During the summer before his third year at Hogwarts, Harry somehow ends up in a reality where Severus Snape is his father. AU, Sevitus — Includes Sirius!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: To Have a Father
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 90019 Read: 154975 Published: 20 Aug 2007 Updated: 17 Sep 2009
Radisson by Crystal Cove

“I don't like these crackers.”

Harry made a face and crumpled the wrapper up in his hand, setting it aside on his tray in front of him. He glanced out the window, looking down at the tops of trees which reminded him of broccoli. From up there, the buildings looked just like miniature blocks of some type, and the cars beneath them… everything was so tiny. It was like the things beneath them were merely ants.

“How much longer until we're there?” Harry asked quietly, stifling a yawn as he kept his gaze out the window.

“Around twelve minutes, now,” Severus replied, looking bored.

Harry looked over at Severus in alarm. “Twelve minutes? Just twelve? I wish it was longer.”

“You aren't bored out of your mind?” Severus asked. “I didn't realize at the time that we should have brought something to entertain us. It slipped my mind, what with the other things going on.”

Harry shrugged his shoulders. “Well that's all right. You know, we should go flying like this more often. I can't wait until we go back home on another plane—” Harry cut himself off, suddenly realizing that he just might not even be able to make it home. What if this warlock was unable to help him? What if there was just no possible way? What would happen to him? Would he just… just… just what?

“Are you all right?” Severus questioned, causing Harry to slip out of his thoughts and back into reality. He nodded, forcing a smile.

“Fine. Why?”

“We're landing now,” Severus pointed out. “You weren't altogether there for a while. You're sure… you're quite all right?”

“Quite,” Harry said, grinning again this time without any force. “Do you think the landing will be bumpy?”

“Most likely when the plane lands on the ground.”

Next to him, the old lady gave Severus a warm, light nudge.

“Did you two have a nice plane ride?” she asked, the corners of her eyes crinkling as she smiled. “I seemed to have dozed off there for a bit of it.”

“Fine, thank you, Mrs Mackenzie. I trust you slept well.”

Harry hid a grin at Severus's exasperated politeness. He knew that Mrs Mackenzie had probably only dozed off for about ten minutes, whilst the remainder of the flight had consisted of her nonstop chatting to Severus, who had seemed grumpy about trying to keep conversation when he clearly did not want to. Obviously, Mrs Mackenzie didn't notice his reluctance to talk, which encouraged her to talk more.

“Oh, so nice, Severus—yes, I slept well. I must say I enjoyed your talk and your company immensely! Not many young men like you would care to listen to an old lady babble for an entire plane ride, but no sir, not you. Won't you come to Washington some day? I'd love to see you and your son again, it would be so lovely. Where did you say you two lived again?”

“A little town called Odlin in Hampshire,” Severus replied, his face softening some as the plane began to land.

Mrs Mackenzie smiled warmly. “Odlin, that's right. Well, it sounds absolutely lovely.” She turned her head around as the young man in the next row beside her began to talk to her about something.

Harry found that 'lovely' seemed to be Mrs Mackenzie's favorite word.

Severus turned to Harry. “Are you ready?”

Harry let out an audible breath and gave his head a sharp nod as he looked Severus in the eye.

“I'm ready.”

--

Severus and Harry stood outside the Belfast International Airport, looking around them blankly. What were they to do now? Severus considered apparating, since they had no way of transportation, but he had no idea where he was going to apparate to.

Harry glanced guiltily down at the two bags Severus had in his hands, then down at his own hands, which were once again shoved into his pockets.

“What are we going to do now?” Harry asked, sighing. “We have no idea where this Fornacis Althen lives. I mean… we could always take a taxi.” Harry nodded over to the taxi's that were arriving, and that everyone seemed eager to claim one. “We don't know where we're going, though. Where are we going to stay?”

“I suppose we could find somewhere to stay until we find out where Fornacis Althen lives,” replied Severus. “Which, might I add, is going to be a highly impossible task.”

“Maybe,” Harry said, biting his lip. “I think we should focus on one thing at a time.”

“I agree.”

As soon as they were able to get a taxi, and able to put their luggage in the trunk, Harry and Severus slid into the back, where the driver in a thick Ireland accent impatiently asked where they wanted to go.

“The Radisson,” Severus said immediately, causing Harry to look over at him in surprise.

“Ormeau Road,” the driver muttered. “That'll take around twenty-seven minutes.”

“That's fine,” Severus answered shortly.

Harry's eyebrows knitted together. In a low, quiet voice he asked Severus, “The Radisson? What is that and what made you think of it?”

In an equally low and quiet voice, Severus answered with, “I am hoping it's a hotel. I overheard a couple discussing it.”

“Oh.” Harry nodded, quieting.

With only exception being the driver humming along loudly to some song that he had put on the radio, it was a very, very quiet drive.

--

“So this is it,” Harry said as Severus took their luggage out of the trunk, paid the driver and now stood in front of the rather large hotel. It was getting dark out, which just made the hotel shine with different colors. Purple, blue, green…, Harry had to tilt his head back as far as it could go in order to look at the very top of the building.

“Are you sure you have enough for this?” Harry asked, with his head still tilted back. “It looks very… fancy.”

“Don't worry,” Severus said lightly. “Now, would you like to spend the night out here?”

It took Harry a minute to realize that Severus was being sarcastic.

“All right, all right, I'm coming.” Harry looked back. “Look at the water, Sev. It's reflecting the lights of the hotel—doesn't it look nice?”

“It does,” Severus agreed, trying to sound patient. “Come along.”

Harry wandered around the foyer as Severus went to the front to try and get a room. As Harry stared out the window at the darkening sky outside, he kept thinking that Fornacis Althen lived somewhere… anywhere in Belfast. With no picture and absolutely no idea where the man lived, Harry knew that this was going to be a very difficult task.

A task that, in the end, might not be successful.

--

Harry slowly opened the door to his and Severus' room, revealing it to be rather spacious, with two beds separated by a nightstand which held a lamp. He walked in, finally pulling out his hands to grab onto his suitcase; he placed it gently on one of the beds.

What with all the lamps that were turned on in the room, it gave the room an orangish glow.

Harry tested the bed, carefully sitting on the edge and then carefully bouncing on it twice. He nearly fell off, however, when an unfamiliar voice in the doorway startled him. Quickly he stuffed his hands under his shirt, since he had no time for trying to find his pockets.

“This will be your room,” a young lady said with a large smile and a slight Ireland accent. “The maid immediately turns on all the lamps in the room before guests arrive. I guess it's for the light it makes—it gives the room a nice touch, as you can see, and feel free to turn them off whenever you like.” The large smile never vanished. “A lot of buzzies always compliment the light.”

Harry couldn't help it. “Er—buzzies?”

She nodded enthusiastically. “Uh huh. Travellers. Well, enjoy your stay!”

With that, she closed the door, leaving Severus and Harry in silence.

“So what do we do now?” Harry asked quietly, glancing at his suitcase. “Unpack?”

“We don't have time for that.” Severus began to pace, a frustrated look crossing his face. “We need to find Fornacis Althen before you disappear altogether. It's not as if a neon sign will come out of nowhere showing us the direction to where he lives.”

“I s'pose not,” Harry mumbled. “Should we call Sirius and Remus and tell them we made it fine?”

Severus shook his head dismissively. “We have no time. Perhaps after.”

Harry nodded. “All right, it sounds good. But… what now? I don't know how we can find him. I—if you ask me, Sev, I think it's hopeless.”

Severus stopped pacing, frozen in his spot right in front of Harry. He stared at the boy expressionlessly.

“You're very pessimistic,” he finally said, almost sounding amused. “Hopeless? No. Until the only thing left visible is your nose, then I will admit that it's hopeless. I think you should focus on being less pessimistic and more optimistic, don't you?”

Harry sighed. “I can't help it. I'm really not being either, Sev. I'm… I'm being realistic, you see?” Harry laughed, moving up the bed until his head found the soft, fluffy white pillow. “I really want to stay here though. It's not like I want this to happen, that I want to go back to my reality. I could really see us… you know.” Harry's tried to speak jokingly, although he was completely serious. “I could see us spending quality time with each other, getting to know each other better, the whole bonding thing. You get to know more about me, I get to know you… we actually become something like father and son. I don't know.”

Harry looked at the creamy colored wall, putting all jokes aside. “I've just never had a father before. I mean of course I have a father but…” Harry trailed off, looking at Severus. “You know what I mean.”

Severus nodded just as seriously. “I do. We'll get that chance, Harry, so there's nothing to worry about.”

Harry coughed, eventually nodding his head. “I believe you,” he lied. “It's getting kind of late, though. We should look for Althen tomorrow. Probably by then all of my fingers and toes will be gone, so it won't be too bad.”

Severus sat down on the other bed.

“All right. Tomorrow.”

--

The next morning after Severus and Harry got dressed, ate and were ready to start their search of Fornacis Althen, they stood out front of the Radisson as if waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

“I don't know where to start,” Severus admitted.

“Neither do I.” Harry quietly watched several people pass by them. “I really wish we had that neon sign.”

“As do I.”

After another moment of silence Harry spoke loudly. “Why can't this just be easy for us? Fornacis Althen—I mean, all we need to know is where he lives!”

“Oh yes,” said Severus, “let the whole world know. What were you trying to achieve? The loudness was not necessary—did you think, miraculously, some person would hear you and again, miraculously, they know this Fornacis Althen?” Severus smirked. “Nice try. I don't think we're so lucky.”

“Sorry for trying,” Harry muttered, although he had to grin. “It was a long shot, wasn't it?”

“Excuse me.”

An uncertain, nervous voice behind Harry caused him to turn around to see a young girl with red hair and dark eyes and a smattering of freckles across her nose and cheeks approach him hesitantly.

“I couldn't help but overhear. Do you know Mr Althen?”

“We're looking for him,” Harry said quickly, glancing at Severus. “Do you know him?”

She nodded. “Yes. He's a friend of the family—his neice is my best friend.” She took a step closer, lowering her voice and sounding more uncertain and nervous than before. “I—I'm not crazy but… usually people who are looking for him are… are usually in need of something magical. You… understand?”

Harry swallowed, nodding. “That's what we need him for.”

She relaxed, looking pleased. “Great. Well, if you want, I can take you to him. He actually doesn't live too far from here. I could get a taxi…?”

“Yes, yes please,” Harry spoke, looking at Severus again in relief.

“I was on my way there anyway,” she added.

Harry smiled at Severus, saying, “I guess we got a sudden stroke of luck after all, Sev.”

The End.
End Notes:
I just wanted to point out some of the things that, in this chapter, are fictional and non-fictional. So, here I go:
Odlin in Hampshire: Well... Hampshire is a real place, but I'm afraid an "Odlin" in Hampshire is fictional.
Belfast International Airport: A real airport.
The Radisson on Ormeau Road: A real hotel on a real street. I, however, have never been to the Radisson—or to Ireland, either! I'm pretty sure, from the BIA (Belfast International Airport) to the Radisson, it takes twenty-seven minutes.

Uhm, I do believe that's it… I'll update soon, tell me what you think! Until then…


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1384