To Have a Father by Crystal Cove
Summary: During the summer before his third year at Hogwarts, Harry somehow ends up in a reality where Severus Snape is his father. AU, Sevitus — Includes Sirius!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: To Have a Father
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 90019 Read: 154968 Published: 20 Aug 2007 Updated: 17 Sep 2009
Slytherin by Crystal Cove
 

Chapter Twenty-seven

Harry, as soon as he slammed the door shut to his room, didn't bother to try and fall asleep, no matter how tired he might have been. He was irate—which was, naturally, the main cause for his not being able to fall asleep.

He sat down on his floor and moved the floorboard that the incantations were underneath. With a sigh he brought them out and put them down gently on his floor, setting the floorboard in his other hand aside. What was he going to do with these? Would he keep them, no matter? Harry decided that he would, if he was going to keep his promise.

Even though Severus and, most likely, Sirius, wouldn't exactly like it very much.

Harry picked the incantations back up and put them back in their original place; he put the floorboard back in its original place, as well. He stood up, already hearing Sirius and Remus close the door to their rooms. Harry wondered where Severus might be, but then quickly shook the thought away, telling himself that he would not think about Severus right then.

Thinking about what happened earlier would, probably, just make him angrier.

Why did Severus have to be so infuriating?

Harry let out another sigh. Of course, it wasn't just all Severus's fault…

Harry tip-toed to the door, twisting the handle and opening it just a crack. He knew that Severus had told him to go to his room, but he couldn't have meant the whole night. Severus didn't even give him a limit as to how long he had to stay in his room! So, even if Harry just wanted to go to the kitchen to get a glass of water, that shouldn't be such a big deal.

He carefully walked down the steps, holding his breath. The house seemed so quiet at night. It usually did, Harry thought. He was sure even just the tiniest creak of the stair would wake everyone in the entire house up—if they were sleeping, that is.

The floor was cold underneath Harry's feet as he walked through the foyer, the dining room, down the hall and into the kitchen. He should've put socks on. It wasn't, after all, a very hot night. In fact it was very cool, and although when Evan Taylor had dropped Severus and Harry off, it wasn't raining, Harry was sure that while he was in his room he could hear the steady beat of the rain pounding against his window. It was either that, or the inside of his ear making that noise.

Harry was sure it wasn't the latter, though. He hopped up on a stool, propping his arms up on the counter, using them as a pillow for his head. He was awfully tired… what if he fell asleep right there, completely forgetting about his thirst?

He would've probably done that, too, if a voice behind him hadn't caused him to jump in the air.

"Feeling tired?"

Harry twisted around to find Severus standing behind him.

"A little bit," Harry answered uncertainly. "I was going to get a drink of water."

"Ah." Severus walked slowly toward the cabinet beside the sink, pulling out a glass which he filled with water from the tap. He stepped forward in front of Harry, behind the counter, and placed the cup in front of Harry.

"Thanks." Harry picked it up, his unsure eyes focused on Severus as he sipped on the water. Severus stared back, pokerfaced. He set the glass back down, though his hands were still wrapped around it, and finally he glanced down at the floor.

"Why did you keep those incantations?" Severus spoke softly, disturbing the still silence. "Did you think you might become sick of everything here and… want to go back?"

Harry sighed as he looked at Severus. "No, no, that's not it at all, Severus. I kept them because, I've always thought… somehow Voldemort has something to do with me." Harry eyed Severus warily. "Does he?"

Severus looked oblivious. "Whatever makes you think that?"

"I dunno." Harry shrugged. "A feeling, I guess." Harry took another sip, studying Severus. "Do you know something? Don't lie to me."

Severus sighed. He walked around the counter and sat down on a stool next to Harry, immediately making a face as he did so.

"This is really rather uncomfortable, isn't it? How can you even manage to sit on these?"

Harry gave Severus a pleading look. "Sev."

Severus glanced over at Harry. "Yes?"

"Come on, Sev."

"All right," Severus said finally after a long pause. "Are you sure, Harry?"

Harry nodded. "I'm sure."

"There's a prophecy," Severus began slowly, only to be interrupted by Harry before hewas even able to finish.

"Will you tell me? Word for word?"

"I do not knowthe entire thing word for word," Severus replied, frowning. "However, what I know is: 'The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches, born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies.'"

Harry stayed quiet, and then after a moment said, "Well, that sounds like that bit could be word for word, anyway. The seventh month? That's… that's July, isn't it? "Born as the seventh month dies"… that would be me?"

Severus didn't say anything.

"I see," Harry spoke again quietly. "Thank you for telling me." He cleared his throat. "It's a good thing I saved that incantation then, it looks like I might need it."

Severus frowned. He knew immediately that he didn't like that sentence. "What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well, I probably need to defeat Voldemort in the other reality, too. So that's what I'll go and do, if he doesn't defeat me."

Severus scowled. "Don't talk like that. Haven't I told you that I'd prefer if you didn't call the Dark Lord that, also?"

Harry sighed once more. "Yes, I'm sorry." He hesitated. "Sev… are we still…? I mean, I just want to know if…"

"Yes," Severus interrupted. "You and I are fine. I—I am sorry."

Harry got off the stool so he would beable to wrap his arms around Severus's neck in a hug. "Me too," Harry murmured, letting go.

Severus blinked, blatantly surprised at the action. He had managed, though, to put an arm around Harry before the boy had pulled away.

"I feel the need to admit…" Severus started, "I was, before, apprehensive with the fact that if you ever became unhappy here, you could easily leave."

Harry shook his head. "I'm not going anywhere."

An amused look crossed Severus's face. "Except for the amusement park."

Harry groaned, squeezing his eyes shut. "No, not even there."

"Mm-hm." Severus stood. "If you're finished with your water, I believe it's time for you to return to bed."

"Right." Harry finished the rest of the water and walked beside Severus as they left the kitchen. It was quiet between them until Harry said quietly, "Thanks for telling me about that prophecy, Dad."

"Was it the right thing to do?"

Harry smiled and laughed softly as they reached the foyer. "Yes, it was."

--

Harry walked down the staircase the next morning to the smell of breakfast coming from the dining room and unusual quietness coming from Sirius. Severus wasn't one to talk while they ate, and Remus would only usually reply to something Sirius said. Even Harry didn't talk too much. Sirius would be the one who would try and start up the conversation.

Harry took his seat at the table, his eyes flickering onto every face around him.

"Good morning," he said slowly, only to be greeted by mutterings of the same thing.

"Was what you saw of Ireland all right?" Sirius questioned, glancing up at Harry briefly.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, it was."

"That's good."

Harry nodded again, unsure of what else he could possibly do. He glanced over at Severus, who had a frown on his face as if he was realizing that Sirius wasn't as talkative as he normally was. When Severus met Harry's eye, he merely gave Harry a look that clearly said: "I don't know."

"I see you didn't burn the house down," Severus commented casually. "Black is still alive, as well, so you didn't neglect him."

"We had tons of fun with Black." Sirius scowled, looking indignant. "He loves batting things around. We took a shoelace… even a piece of licorice."

"I haven't seen Black ever since we came back," Harry admitted.

"He spends most of his time downstairs on one of our chairs," Sirius replied. "I think it's his favorite spot in the entire house."

Harry grinned, and it turned silent around them again. He finally began focusing on putting some food on his plate.

"I have something I need to tell you and Harry," Sirius finally spoke up with his eyes glued on his food. "While you were in Ireland."

There came a sigh from Severus. "What did you do?"

Sirius shifted in his seat. "I have some news…"

There was a clatter as Severus's fork and knife hit his plate. Severus stared blankly at Sirius. "You're pregnant."

Sirius's mouth fell open, a look of pure shock. "What?"

Severus sighed in exasperation. "I was joking, Black, joking!" Severus looked at Harry and shook his head. "Harry, remind me never to joke again, will you? It seems I don't get very good reactions when I do."

"No, you just caught me off guard," Sirius insisted. "That's not it, though. My news was that Alex is moving."

"Moving?" Harry repeated, frowning. "The Alex at the Nameless restaurant? Where's he moving to?"

Sirius nodded. "That Alex. He's moving to Canada, somewhere in the Maritimes." Sirius swallowed, once again shifting his position. "This brings me to my other set of news."

Severus eyed Sirius suspiciously as he hesitated. "Go on," Severus urged.

"Well…" Sirius let out a breath, looking at Severus in the eye as he spoke. "Since Alex was moving, he was going to tear down the Nameless restaurant. So, I—I bought it."

Severus blinked. "You bought a restaurant?"

Sirius nodded quickly. "Yes."

"Aren't they expensive? Did you have enough? Why?"

"Yes, but Alex gave it to me at a really low price," Sirius said. "You know that when you and Harry go to Hogwarts I always work, and I get paid, of course, and I save, so yes I had enough—and because… because you know how much I like that restaurant! We always go there… I couldn't just let it get destroyed."

"Black—"

"Severus," Sirius spoke quietly, almost pleading. "I have enough. At first I—I really didn't know what I was doing but… now I'm sure that I want this restaurant. I just want you to… approve, I guess."

"Approve?" Severus repeated. "You want me to approve of you owning this restaurant?"

Sirius nodded. "Yes."

"Are you up for the responsibility? It is a responsibility, Black, this is a restaurant—"

"I know," Sirius interrupted. "I'm all up for the responsibility, Severus, even when things get tough and look hopeless. Really."

Severus finally nodded his head. "I can't tell you what to do, Black, but I suppose I do approve, as long as you mean what you said."

A wide grin broke out upon Sirius's face. "I honestly do. I have so many plans for the restaurant—especially the theme! I want it to have a permanent theme. Not something stuffy and formal and whatnot… something fun and—and outgoing! What do you think, Severus? Harry?"

Severus shook his head, amused. "It's all up to you, Black."

"Oh, I know," Sirius responded, with a sigh following. "I don't know if I want to to have a theme, but… something nice…. Oh, yes that's right, I ought to be leaving now." Siriusu stood, looking eager. "Are you gonna come too, Rem? You remember these blokes' names better than I do."

Remus nodded. "That's true."

"We'll be back after, Snape," Sirius called as they left the dining room. "Sometime soon we'll be repainting the inside of the restaurant and everything… we will need all the help we can get!"

Severus groaned as the door slammed shut. "I don't want to paint anything."

Harry laughed. "I can't believe he bought that restaurant, though. It's… wow. A restaurant."

Severus gave his head a short shake. "Of all the things, I was not expecting Black to say that he bought a restaurant, that's for certain."

Harry poked the middle of his egg with his fork. "I'm kind of nervous," Harry admitted suddenly, glancing at Severus before he spoke again. "I'll be starting my second year of Hogwarts again, and, well…" Harry trailed off.

"You're nervous about what everyone's reaction will be," Severus finished.

Harry nodded. "When is it going to come out in the Daily Prophet, again?"

"Sometime soon, probably."

"And they're going to print the truth? No exaggerating or adding anything?"

"The truth."

"Good." Harry nodded again and forced a grin. "It shouldn't be too bad, though, right? Not awkward or… uncomfortable?"

Severus looked at Harry thoughtfully. "Do you wish for me to lie to you?"

Harry sighed and shook his head no. "Be honest."

"Very well." Severus paused. "It'll be unbelievably uncomfortable and awkward—I cannot stress that enough. You aren't the same Harry, so everyone will have to get to know you, and you must remember, these aren't really the same people you know, either, so you'll need to get to know them."

"I'll have to keep that in mind," Harry said after swallowing what was in his mouth. "Do you think things will work out okay?"

"I have no doubt in my mind that things will work out fine," Severus answered truthfully.

--

It was almost twelve in the afternoon, and Harry was sprawled out on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. It was nice to just take one minute to do absolutely nothing—just stare at the ceiling; relaxed and comfortable.

He propped himself up on his elbows as Black strolled into his room and jumped on his bed. The kitten pressed itself up against the back of Harry's bare foot, resting his head against the top of Harry's foot; lazily, Black's paw rested across Harry's ankle.

Harry chuckled. "Blackie, it seems like I haven't seen you in years." Harry tried to rub Black's head with his toes, but Black didn't seem to like that. "You're getting so fluffy. I hope Dad won't mind hair all over the house."

"I'm sure I'll manage."

Harry looked up, grinning at Severus as he entered the room. Somehow, Harry thought, he looked a little different.

"Look at Black," Harry said in amusement. "He looks very relaxed."

"He also looks very attached to your foot," Severus commented. "He most likely missed you while we were away."

Harry paused, narrowing his eyes at Severus. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Severus said quickly. "But it seems that you have a guest waiting for you downstairs."

Harry's eyes widened slightly. "W—who?"

"You'll have to come down and find out for yourself." Severus began to walk out the door. "You can also take Black with you if you wish, unless he's permanently attached to that foot, in which case he'll need to come along anyway."

Harry quickly stood up, scooping Black up in his hands, and hastily followed Severus down the flight of stairs. He was eager, nervous, uncertain and absolutely clueless as to who the guest was. For him? Maybe it was Dumbledore.

Harry stroked Black's head as the neared the lounge, where Harry figured this guest was. As soon as he walked into the lounge, however, he had to stop dead in his tracks.

"Oh," he blurted, staring in bewilderment. "Hi?"

Harry first glanced at the woman who stood next to the boy, but he was more focused on the boy than anything else.

"Harry." The boy swallowed, looking a bit uncertain. Harry watched as he glanced at Severus, who stood close to Harry, hesitantly, as if not knowing what to say next.

Harry spun around so that his back was facing the guests and in a low voice he asked Severus, "What's Malfoy doing here?"

"You speak a little quieter next time," the blonde boy said with a slight frown. Harry turned around to face them yet again with Black still in his hands. "I'm here because I needed to see if it was true. I needed to see for myself."

Harry nodded slowly. "So… you see."

"Look…" Draco hesitated. "Can we walk?"

Harry inspicuously glanced at Severus, who gave a slight encouraging nod of the head. Then, taking in a breath and letting it out, Harry nodded.

"Sure."

With another look at Severus, Harry walked out of the lounge with Draco not too far behind. It was a quiet walk into the backyard; Harry wasn't quite sure where he was going, but as soon as they stepped onto the green grass Harry spotted a comfy-looking bench, which he went over to sit on, making sure that when Draco sat down as well, he sat as far away as he could.

Draco didn't seem to really notice—or care, Harry wasn't sure which one it was.

"You're not the normal Harry, are you?" Draco questioned suddenly, breaking the silence.

Harry scowled. "I'm normal."

"That's not what I meant… I meant… you're not the same Harry, are you?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I'm not."

"Is everything that was written in the Daily Prophet true?" Draco asked, eyebrows elevated.

"I dunno." Harry shrugged. "I haven't read it."

"Do you want to?" asked Draco quickly. "I brought it just in case."

Harry couldn't help but grin a little as he shook his head. "No, that's okay, but what did it say in the Daily Prophet?"

"It said… that you weren't the same Harry, of course; you were from a different reality." Draco paused, waiting for Harry to confirm, which he did with a nod of his head. "That's mainly what the entire thing was about. You read some sort of something and it sent you here and you want to stay."

"That's pretty much true," Harry admitted. "I have a question: are we really… friends? Even if you're in Slytherin?"

"Well… yes, we are," Draco replied, looking hesitant.

"What about Ron and Hermione? Are you friends with them?"

"Not best friends," Draco said, "but if I wanted to stay friends with you, then I had to get along with them. I tolerate them—they're not too bad."

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. "But you think Hermione is a mudblood and that Ron's a blood traitor."

Now it was Draco's turn to look surprised. "No I don't."

Harry shook his head, trying to process this information. So Draco was actually not as bad as he was in the other reality. This would take some getting used to.

"I take it you're talking about the other me in that other dimension-thing," Draco continued. "Is there another me?"

Harry nodded silently.

"Does he look like me?"

Harry nodded again, still silent.

Draco nodded along with Harry, looking thoughtful. They were both staring at the ground straight ahead of them. Although, Harry didn't know about Draco, but he was staring into space—he just couldn't seem to be able to look away.

"Was that your mother in there with you?" Harry asked, finally looking sideways at Draco, who nodded.

"Yes, it was."

"She looks like you," Harry commented.

Draco nodded again. "I didn't see Sirius anywhere. I think Mother will be a bit disappointed that she wasn't able to talk to him this visit."

Harry was, yet again, taken by surprise. "Why would she be disappointed?"

Draco looked over at Harry. "Well, she is Sirius's cousin. Thing's are still a bit rocky, but I think she's really starting to be quite nice in general."

"What… do you mean?" Harry's brow knitted together.

"Mother and Father divorced when I was eight, and I went to go live with her. I don't know what brought it on, but she wanted to change—for the better, obviously, and to start she needed to be away from Father."

"Oh," Harry said under his breath, nodding slowly. "So you were raised in a good way since your mother wanted to change, which is why you're not such a git…" Draco scowled, and Harry grinned apologetically. "Sorry."

Draco grinned back; yet another thing to add to Harry's continuous list of surprises.

"I suppose Mother and I should be leaving now," Draco said as he stood. "She has a hair appointment soon. I just wanted to come by and see if it was really true."

"Well, it is," Harry said as they walked across the grass, back into the house. "I can't believe Draco Malfoy's really a decent Slytherin—it's sort of hard to believe, but…"

Draco gave a small laugh. "You're not so bad, either. You know you kind of remind me of the other Harry in a way."

Harry was about to reply to that comment when a thought suddenly came to him, causing him to freeze in his spot. He frowned, tilting his head slightly as he gazed at Draco.

"I didn't see you at the funeral for Harry," Harry said quietly. "Or did I?"

Draco looked at Harry quizzically, taking a few steps forward. "What are you talking about?"

"The, uh… the funeral for Harry," Harry said. "You weren't there, I didn't see you."

"Wha—listen, I don't k—"

"I saw Ron," Harry started out slowly, "Hermione, Sirius, Sever—"

"Okay!" Draco suddenly yelled loudly, making Harry jump. "I didn't go to your funeral! I couldn't. You were my best friend. You were always my best friend, and then you leave to go save some bloody Stone, and... you got mad because I didn't want to risk my life right along with you."

Harry blinked, stunned. He realized that Draco was forgetting that he was not exactly the Harry that had been here before… "Mal—Drac—M—but I'm not th—"

"And then you go and die. Expect me to go through the rest of my days at Hogwarts without you. Don't you know how selfish you were? Don't you know what Severus was like afterward? Sirius? The rest of your friends? Which is another reason why I didn't go to your sodding funeral—I didn't want to see everyone all… like people usually are at funerals. Especially yours. That would've meant you were really gone—"

"I'm not—"

"—and I realized what a thick thing you were doing, so I went and told Severus and do you know what? He's the one that found your dead body. He and that Quirrel and you all died that day. What if I had gone down along with you? I know Ron and Hermione went with you, and they had to be left behind, but what if I decided to go, hm? One extra person fighting along with you—your best friend? Maybe things would have turned out differently."

There was such a deep regret in Draco's voice that Harry couldn't help but feel guilty, even though he did nothing.

"I'm here," Harry said quietly. "Just not the Harry you remember."

"That's what kind of hurts the most," Draco admitted, his face twisted in some type of emotion that Harry couldn't describe. Maybe it was pain.

He turned around and walked several more steps forward before pausing and turning around again.

"I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one that visited until we go back to Hogwarts," he said emotionlessly. "I spoke a little to Ron and Hermione after the Prophet article, you know. Not very much, but it didn't seem like they wanted to see you again just yet. I imagine it would be a little hard on them, after everything, especially your… your funeral. Just give it time maybe."

Draco turned around again and walked away; Harry stood, rooted to the same spot until he no longer saw Draco's back. He wondered if he'd ever be able to move again.

--

The End.
End Notes:
Next update will be soon! Ideas, ideas, suggestions, suggestions! Feedback again is welcome and encouraged!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1384