Harry and the Elixir of Time by teddylonglong
Summary: At the welcoming feast Poppy notices that eleven-year-old Harry is wearing glamours, Severus looks after Harry during the first year, and together they decide to go on a time travel – will they be able to change something? AU, partly OOC.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, McGonagall, Remus, Sirius, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: Yes Word count: 105891 Read: 149810 Published: 02 Sep 2007 Updated: 16 Mar 2008
Death Eaters by teddylonglong

Knowing that Hagrid didn’t have a wand to defend himself, Harry immediately threw up a powerful Shield Charm over both of them and glanced over to Professor Dumbledore, who was deep in a fight with a few Death Eaters. Many spells were fired at them too, but Harry’s Shield Charm was very stable so far. However, Harry could feel himself growing weak and knew that he wouldn’t be able to hold the Shield up much longer. Suddenly, a dozen people – probably Aurors – rushed out of the Ministry and came to their aid.

The instant his Shield Charm failed, Harry was hit with a spell in the chest. He didn’t know what it was, but it hurt a lot. He managed to dodge a few spells, trying to fire Expelliarmus spells at the Death Eaters at the same time. Noticing that his vision was beginning to fail – as was his breathing – he had to try hard not to panic. His chest felt very painful as if it were on fire.

He summoned all his wish magic and threw a very strong Stunning Spell at the Death Eaters. He registered vaguely that it had worked before he, much like the Death Eaters, collapsed to the ground.

-----

When he slowly returned to consciousness, everything was quiet. Where was he? Was he dead? ’No,’ he decided, ’I can’t be dead, because everything hurts. If I was dead, it wouldn’t hurt anymore.’ Suddenly, he noticed that something was pressing against his face. He felt around his face and noticed that the same something was above of his nose and mouth. Harry lazily opened his eyes and saw that the thing in his face was connected to a breathing machine. His left arm at the same time was connected to another machine. He didn’t know what it was for.

Then understanding set in: He was in the Hospital Wing again. Only the night lights were lit, and it was dark outside. He sighed. It seemed to be the middle of the night. Would he have to wait until the morning, until he could get a Pain Relieving Potion? He was lucky. A movement at one side of his bed alerted him to the presence of his father, who said, “Wait a moment. I’m going to get Poppy.” A few minutes later, Poppy arrived and handed him a phial. When he visibly relaxed after drinking down the Potion, Poppy told him that his internal organs had been gravely damaged by the Death Eaters’ spell but that she had already managed to heal most of the damage. She also told him that he had been in a coma for two days, because he had depleted his magic completely. However, he would have to stay in the Hospital Wing and connected to the machine for a few days.

Harry wanted to protest badly, but he just didn’t have the energy, so he lay back and went to sleep again until he was woken up by the Headmaster’s voice in the morning.

“Harry, you helped to put more than a dozen Death Eaters into Azkaban. We are all very proud of you,” the Headmaster told him.

Harry threw the Professor a small smile that didn’t really reach his eyes. “Dad,” he said then, “Could you please bring me Slytherin’s book, which I’m in the middle of translating? As Madam Pomfrey told me I had to stay here, I’d like to use the time efficiently and continue translating.”

Salazar sighed. “I will bring you the book after breakfast. However, you may only work here when Poppy allows it. Otherwise, you will have to wait a few days.”

Harry spent three days translating the book. He was just contemplating how he could manage to make a short trip to the Chamber to grab the next book, when Pomfrey told him she would release him if he promised to be very careful next time.

“No Quidditch. No flashing or even transforming. No running around for at least a week,” she said sternly. “I’ll see you tonight.”

Harry agreed happily. He would do anything – if he just could leave the Hospital Wing.

-----

When Severus received an owl from his uncle, who had once again invited him to come to a Death Eaters’ meeting, Severus wrote back that he was interested and would like to join him.

Finally, he received another owl from his uncle, which included a Portkey and an invitation to a meeting with the Dark Lord for the evening of December 1st. Severus immediately took the Portkey to his older self to let him check on it. He especially wanted to be sure that it would be possible for two people to use the Portkey, but this didn’t seem to be a problem.

The few weeks until December 1st were spent planning the big event, which would hopefully lead to the demise of Voldemort.

Harry had suggested that he would accompany Severus, hidden by a Concealment Charm, which would make him invisible. As his wish magic was much stronger than normal wand magic, he could apply the charm to himself in a way so that only Harry would be able to cancel it.

They had already prepared two nearly invisible Portkeys for Voldemort, which would take him directly into Harry’s machine. Harry would try to throw his Portkey onto Voldemort, thinking of the password at the same time. If he managed, Harry and Severus would activate their own Portkeys back to Hogwarts. However, if Harry failed and Voldemort wouldn’t vanish, Severus would hand his Portkey over to the Dark Lord and take his own Portkey immediately afterwards.

Harry was very excited and scared, and couldn’t wait for the day to come. However, it was still ten days away and in the meantime, he had to do a lot of homework and even had to play a Quidditch match.

-----

Just like in his own time, the teachers had agreed that Harry should play in both teams – Slytherin and Gryffindor. In Slytherin, they had been looking for a Chaser as Severus was playing Seeker. However, hearing Harry’s story from his future self, Severus had immediately suggested he could play Chaser and leave the Seeker position to Harry. Fortunately, this discussion had taken place while Harry was in the Hospital Wing, so that he wasn’t aware of the details. Otherwise he probably wouldn’t have agreed to play at all.

The Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff match took place on the last Saturday in November. Unfortunately, Harry hadn’t been allowed to play Quidditch during the last two weeks and, therefore, hadn’t been able to practise with the team at all.

“I hope you’re really as good as they say,” Sirius growled at breakfast. “We don’t want to lose Quidditch because people come and join teams just because they are children of professors, without even doing tryouts.”

“Sirius!” James scolded his friend, while Lily jumped off her seat.

“Black!” she shouted furiously. “How can you say that? You’re horrible!”

Harry didn’t notice Professor McGonagall coming over, hearing the story from Lily and assigning Sirius detention. Harry just got up and left the Great Hall, oblivious to the fact that Severus followed him worriedly. He returned to their quarters and went straight to the bathroom, where he threw up the little breakfast he had eaten.

“Harry! Are you all right? What is wrong with you?” Severus asked as soon as Harry was finished.

Harry turned around to face his future father and let himself be pulled into a hug, while tears started to flow down his cheeks. He clung to Severus’ robes and cried into his shoulder until Salazar came looking for him. In the meantime, his cries had turned into coughs and Salazar watched him worriedly.

“Harry, you have to stop crying immediately; otherwise you won’t be able to play Quidditch today,” Salazar said sternly and handed him a Calming Draught. Professor McGonagall had told him what had happened at the Gryffindor table at breakfast, and he was very angry. How could Black say such a thing to his son? “The match is going to start in thirty minutes. Do you think you will be able to play?”

Harry nodded. The Calming Draught and his inhaler had done wonders, and he felt much better now. He changed into his Quidditch clothes and walked out to the Pitch together with Severus. His teammates came over to him as soon as they saw him.

“Harry, don’t listen to Black; he’s only jealous,” James told him.

“Just ignore him, Harry, and give your best. We’ll do the same,” Frank Longbottom, who was playing Chaser, said.

“We don’t care what Black says. Our Head of House has seen you playing and has recommended you. That’s enough for us,” the team captain consoled him.

Harry threw a hesitant smile at his teammates and said, “Thank you very much. I will try hard, and so far I have never lost a game. But, of course, I cannot promise anything.”

Finally, they mounted their brooms, and Harry pushed off. It was as though no time had past since he last flown, because he took to the air as easily and as naturally as ever before. He forgot everything that had happened in the morning and proceeded to concentrate on the Snitch. As nobody had seen him flying before, he managed to fool the Hufflepuff Seeker twice with his stunts, before he spotted the Snitch twenty minutes into the game. Unfortunately, a Bludger came into his way, so that Harry had to dodge, and the Snitch was gone. However, he saw it again five minutes later. Could he fool the Hufflepuff Seeker a third time? He tried and succeeded – maybe the other Seeker couldn’t believe Harry would do the same stunt three times? Harry caught the struggling Snitch in the 25th minute.

“210 to 30, Gryffindor wins!” Madam Hooch’s voice sounded over the pitch, and Harry slowly glided down, very relieved. He soon was surrounded by his team and his friends. Fortunately Sirius was not in sight. Nevertheless, Harry flinched badly when he felt a hand on his arm.

“It’s all right, Harry,” Remus said. “I just wanted to congratulate you.” He eyed his friend worriedly.

“Thank you, Remus,” Harry replied and headed back to his quarters to take a shower. Fortunately, nobody followed him this time, and after showering and changing, Harry tiredly lay down on his bed, musing over the events of the morning.

Why does Sirius hate me so much? Is it really because he is jealous? James would have so much more reason to be jealous of Severus, but he doesn’t behave so stupidly. Maybe we should go back to the future as soon as I have managed to vanquish Voldemort,’ he thought, but corrected himself immediately. ‘No, Dad cannot go back until the end of the school year as he has to teach. However, I could go back on my own. On the other hand, maybe I should translate some more Potions books? Maybe I’ll be able to find valuable Potions, which might help people a lot. Then it would be good to have the translation eighteen years earlier,’ he thought.

Being so wrapped up in his thoughts, he completely forgot the time and finally fell asleep. He only woke up when he heard the voices of his future parents beside his bed. He slowly sat up. “Hi, Lily. Hi, Severus.”

“Harry, are you all right? You have missed all your meals today!” Lily said reproachfully. “Plus, you should come with me to the Gryffindor common room; the victory party is going to start in a few minutes.”

-----

The party in Gryffindor Tower was loud and lasted half the night, but in spite of the Marauders being there, Harry missed some of the atmosphere the Weasley twins used to bring to their victory parties. He spent the evening mainly talking to Lily, Remus and James.

“Um… Lily? Where is Sirius?” he asked anxiously.

Lily grinned and explained, “Professor McGonagall noticed about your little quarrel at breakfast and has assigned him detention with Mr. Filch.”

“He will probably be gone the whole evening,” Remus commented. “So, Harry, please enjoy our party, and try to eat something.”

Hearing this, Harry finally relaxed. He was not in the mood for more discussions with that specific Gryffindor third year. He grabbed a few sandwiches and a bottle of Butterbeer and enjoyed the evening together with his friends. Although the party was still in full swing, Harry excused himself five minutes before the beginning of curfew – just as Sirius entered the Common room – and returned to his quarters.

He nearly stumbled back out of the door in shock, when he entered the sitting room and spotted his father, having tea together with Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey. “Good evening,” he greeted them friendly. He was on his way into his own room, when he was called back.

“Where do you think you are going?” Madam Pomfrey asked sternly. “You haven’t come to see me today, and I heard that you haven’t eaten any meals today. Have you already forgotten what I told you about missing meals?”

Harry sighed, annoyed. “I’m sorry; I just returned from the Gryffindor Party. I only thought about being back here in time for curfew, although the party is still in full swing, but I completely forgot to go to see you. About missing meals, I’m sorry too, but I didn’t feel very well and preferred to sleep for a while.”

Minerva gave Harry a sharp look and threatened to take points of him when it happened again. After an explanation that he had eaten at the party and a quick check-up by Poppy, he was finally allowed to retire.

-----

Too soon, December 1st approached. The five friends, along with Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall and Snape had spent the whole evening in the dungeons, testing the machine a few times more. Everything seemed perfect. Afterwards, they had talked once more about the plans for the next evening. All seemed foolproof.

When Severus and Harry were having breakfast together at the Slytherin table, Salazar approached them and said, “Snape and Snape, please come to my quarters directly after breakfast. You will be excused from your first class.”

“But Dad,” Harry tried to contradict, “I have missed so many classes recently…”

“…that it doesn’t matter if you miss a few more!” Salazar replied sharply and added, “This is an order from Professor Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey.”

Harry was nervous when they returned to their quarters after breakfast. He was just glad to have Severus with him. It was good to know that Severus would be together with him tonight when they would go to straight into the lion’s den.

When they arrived at their quarters, Harry’s father was already waiting for them. He made them sit on the sofa and waved his wand over each of them a few times, then he nodded contently. “Now, I hope you are both feeling well today. You have to be in your best possible condition tonight, because what you are going to do is very dangerous. Therefore, Albus, Poppy and I have decided that we want you to stay here in our quarters today and rest. You will both take a Dreamless Sleep Potion and sleep as much as you can. I will wake you up before dinner and I expect you – both of you – to tell me if you have any problems.”

Salazar had conjured a second bed in Harry’s room for Severus, and both boys slept during the whole day. When Salazar woke them up twenty minutes before dinner, they were well rested and eager to fulfil their tasks they had been planning so feverishly during the last months – not to mention that they were scared to death too. After dinner, Professor McGonagall escorted them to the Headmaster’s office, where Albus, Salazar, Poppy, Lily, Remus and James joined them.

They once again spoke about the actions they had planned for the evening, and once more checked the plan, which seemed quite easy. Professor Dumbledore handed a Portkey to each of the boys – a small phoenix pendant on a silver chain, which turned invisible as soon as they put it on. They could use this Portkey to return to Hogwarts in case they didn’t have an opportunity to flash back. The password was ‘back home,’ and the Portkey would bring them straight into the Headmaster’s office.

However, if possible, Harry had to flash them back in order to be in the machine room in time. If Harry wasn’t back by the time the machine alerted them that a victim had arrived inside, Salazar would push the green activating button. The procedure within the machine took ten minutes, and if the machine showed the end of the procedure and Harry was still not back, Salazar would just start the procedure again until Harry returned as it was necessary that Harry took care of the next process.

All those who were assembled in the Headmaster’s office planned to walk down to the machine room as soon as Severus and Harry had parted. They would wait in the room for the two boys to return.

Harry was slowly getting afraid, wondering if they would manage to succeed. Maybe the Death Eaters would discover him even before he could toss the Portkey at Voldemort. Or they could be suspicious of Severus and punish him. It could also be that they cursed him immediately after he had tossed the Portkey at Voldemort. He knew he only had to transform into Breeze, hop to Severus to let him grab his tail feathers or just grab the Portkey and think the incantation. Would at least one of these methods work?

“Harry!” His father’s voice pulled him out of his thoughts. “Do you need a Calming Draught?”

Harry threw an astonished glance at his father. “Yes, please.” He took the phial Salazar handed to him and gulped the Potion down, feeling better immediately. “Thank you, Dad,” he mouthed gratefully.

“Harry,” Salazar said, trying to keep his emotions in check. “You know that I have full faith in you. But please be very careful, son.”

Finally it was time to leave. Harry wished himself invisible and according to the Professors and Harry’s friends, it worked properly. Albus pointed his wand at Harry and sent another invisibility spell at the boy, explaining that two spells were safer than only one. Now Harry whished Severus to be able to see him, and Severus’ gasp let him know that it worked as well.

“What happened?” Salazar asked immediately, and Harry explained what he had done.

“Don’t give me a heart attack,” Severus mumbled but visibly relaxed. “Now, grab the Portkey and let us be on our way,” he admonished his future son.

Harry complied immediately, Severus spoke the password, and they were gone.

-----

An instant later, they arrived in a huge room, which Harry immediately recognized as the room from his visions. They were surrounded by Death Eaters. He looked around. As he always saw the room from Voldemort’s view, when he saw it in his visions, he didn’t know exactly where Voldemort would be. Therefore, he quickly scanned the room for the man, even though he wasn’t sure what he looked like. Suddenly he recognized something like a throne. ‘Ah, this must be where he is always sitting when the people of his inner circle kneel in front of him,’ he thought.

However, the throne was empty – Voldemort didn’t seem to be there. Harry was flabbergasted. He couldn’t believe it! They hadn’t thought about this possibility at all. For them, it had been clear that Voldemort had to be there, when a new, possible Death Eater came to join them for the first time. Even Salazar, who had to know the Death Eater meetings quite well, hadn’t voiced any thoughts about the possibility of Voldemort not being there. What were they going to do? There were so many Death Eaters that he wouldn’t have any possibility to confer with Severus at all without anybody noticing.

Harry re-arranged his position so that Severus could see his face and gave him an enquiring look. Everything had sounded so easy – maybe too easy to be possibly true? Had their whole plan failed? Harry tried hard not to panic.

The End.
End Notes:
Thanks to my wonderful betas Thegirllikeme and Kristeh :-)

I do not own any of the characters in this story; they all belong to J.K.Rowling or are a free creation, and I am not earning anything by writing this story.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1400