Phoenixes I: Of Phoenixes by Anterastilis
Summary: Severitus challenge response. On Harry's 15th birthday, a surprising truth is revealed. Now he and Snape must deal with its consequences.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 28483 Read: 58078 Published: 03 Sep 2007 Updated: 29 Sep 2007
Story Notes:

Author's Notes: This is being written in response to Severitus' challenge. Please note that I began this story before OotP was released, and it is therefore a 5th Year AU. In the editing process, I have, however, incorporated information from OotP, HBP, and DH, so there are spoilers for rest of the series. You may find the challenge rules here: www.severitus.net/thechallenge.htm

Of Phoenixes was originally posted on 26 July 2003 under the pen name Entilzah on FF.Net.

Prologue by Anterastilis

On the morning of July 30th, 1995, Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, woke up to find an envelope hanging in front of his face. He did not seem surprised by this seemingly strange phenomenon as he reached for it. It was a plain white envelope with his name written on it in a handwriting that he hadn't seen in more than fifteen years. A strange look crossed his face as he opened it -- one that was a mixture of sadness, regret, and fondness. He opened the envelope to find two things: one, a letter; and two, another envelope with what felt like more letters. He turned his attention to the letter:

Dear Albus,

If you are reading this, then I've not come to fetch the letter from its hiding place and am most likely dead. Tomorrow my son will celebrate his fifteenth birthday, and I think it finally time for the truth to be revealed; I only hope that it is truly safe for it to do so. In the enclosed envelope are three more letters, one for Remus Lupin, one for Harry, and one for Severus Snape. Once you finish reading this letter and speak the phrase, the envelope will continue on to Remus. Remus will read his letter and come to you, and then the two of you must together go to Severus and Harry. I am hoping that the presence of you and Remus will help the process go more smoothly.

Albus, as you well know, Severus and I were fairly good friends in our earlier years at Hogwarts. I know that in his heart, he is a good man, though he has made some very poor choices. I have forgiven him, and I can only hope that the rest of the world has done so, as well.

Well, by now I'm sure you're wondering why I sent you this letter and why I'm rambling on about Severus, his choices, and the truth. I am torn between telling you now and letting Severus tell you, but I think it might be better if I tell you now, so that you can be prepared when you have Severus and Harry looking to you for help. And they will need your help, Albus, and I know you will give it to them, you've always been there for those who need you. Perhaps I should start at the beginning...

Then Lily explained what had happened in the year preceding Harry's birth.

...And there you have the whole story. When James found out, it took a fair bit of ding to calm him down, but in the end, he came to see that of all the possible scenarios for how things could have played out, this was the best. I have a feeling that you will need to beat this fact into Harry and Severus' heads, Albus, especially Severus. He must still be living with guilt from that night. Make sure that he understands that under no circumstances is he to continue to do so. It's all right.

Thank you Albus, thank you for everything.

Sincerely,

Lily Potter

Albus Dumbledore looked thoughtful as he finished the letter, then he sighed as he spoke the passphrase that would send the envelope on to its next destination, "Amor omnia vincit." Then he set about getting ready for the arrival of three people whom he held very dear.

***

Remus Lupin was having lunch when the envelope started to hover before his face. Unlike Dumbledore, he was surprised by this occurrence, and he was even more surprised when he recognized the handwriting on the envelope. He quickly opened it to find a letter and another envelope. After looking over the second envelope, he turned his attention to the letter.

Dear Remus,

I hope that this letter finds you well and happy and not still grieving over me. I will not have you wasting away over me! Happy moments for you are too few and too far between as it is, I will not be adding to your troubles, Remus J. Lupin!

Ah, my dear friend, enough lecturing for now as I'm sure you're wondering why I'm sending you a letter from beyond the grave. Well, truly, I'm not. I'm writing this letter just a few short days after Harry's birth. Enough time has passed that the truth can no longer be denied, though James and I are trying our best -- not because it hurts, mind you, but rather for the safety and well being of all those involved. You see Remus, James isn't Harry's father...

Here, Lily repeated the tale that she written to Albus.

...Don't hurt Severus. I'm sure he's done enough of that to himself over the years. You and he are not so very different, you know.

Well, enough of that. I'd best get some details in here before I forget. You have received the second letter of four, and Albus has the first. The letters in the enclosed envelope are for Severus and Harry. Unlike you and Albus, however, the two are supposed to read their letters together, in the same room. I want you and Albus to be there. Albus will be a calming force on Severus, and I'm sure that you will be the same for Harry. You being you, I'm sure that by now you've found the boy, and that the two of you are good friends.

Remus, I want Severus and Harry to know the truth together. I know that neither of them will take it well, but I am determined they will take the news together. I'm not sure why, but this is important to me. I think that maybe this will be the only way to make sure that both of them will have the family that each so desperately needs -- I know Harry knows consciously that he desires a family, but I'm sure that this fact has completely gone over Severus' head.

Take care, Remus; love Harry for me, will you, please? And don't be too hard on Severus.

Love from your friend,

Lily Potter

Remus Lupin put down the letter in shock. For a few minutes, he sat there and tried to comprehend what Lily had written. Dear sweet Lily, she was so concerned about what the news would do to Snape... She didn't even care how Harry had been conceived, she just wanted the two to be happy -- together, no less! He shook his head and smiled, Lily had always been that way. She was quick to forgive and slow to anger. Then he sighed and shook his head again to clear the memories, he would have to contact Albus now. He would know what to do.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1404