Phoenixes I: Of Phoenixes by Anterastilis
Summary: Severitus challenge response. On Harry's 15th birthday, a surprising truth is revealed. Now he and Snape must deal with its consequences.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 28483 Read: 58087 Published: 03 Sep 2007 Updated: 29 Sep 2007
The Truth Makes an Appearance by Anterastilis

Harry awoke the next morning feeling very happy and very safe. His sleep had not been interrupted by unpleasant nightmares or undesired visions from Voldemort. He felt so content that he thought that he would just continue to lie there for the rest of his life and leave Voldemort to the rest of the world. Unfortunately this was not to be as Ron came in and dragged him up.

"Hey Harry, come on! We're going to Diagon Alley today, remember?" He went on excitedly in this way until Harry exclaimed that he was getting up and would Ron please leave him be for a minute.

"Sure, mate. Come on down when you're ready, Mum's got breakfast out," came Ron's rather understanding response. So Harry had to drag himself out of bed and get dressed, though he did perk up when he wondered about what sort of interesting new things he'd get to see this year.

"Good morning, dear! How was your sleep?" greeted Mrs. Weasley when Harry came down.

"Morning, Mrs. Weasley. Very well, thanks," Harry responded enthusiastically as he sat down. The conversation was lively as they planned out their day. Mr. Weasley wouldn't be able to accompany them as he had to work, but Mrs. Weasley was very able to keep an eye on all of them. After breakfast, they each stepped up to the fireplace, threw down some Floo powder, shouted, "Diagon Alley," and they were off.

Harry stumbled out of the fireplace and Mrs. Weasley brushed him off. Then she had them all go off to Gringott's to fill their money bags. Mrs. Weasley kept them at a whirlwind pace, and Harry thought that perhaps she just wanted them to keep going so quickly that no one would have any time to get into trouble. They went to Madame Malkin's for new robes, then to Flourish and Blotts, then to the Apothecary for potions supplies, and then it was finally time to have some lunch. After lunch, Mrs. Weasley said that they had an hour to have some fun, but no going into Knockturn Alley (she said this looking sternly at the twins).

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny set off to wander around. For once, they had no particular destination in mind. Harry decided that he'd like to return to the bookstore as he wanted to see if there were any interesting potions books. Ron looked at him as if he'd gone mad, Hermione looked pleased, and Ginny looked curious. Harry defended himself, "Well, while I was at the Dursley's I didn't have anything to do, so I took out my school books and read them. The potions textbook is actually quite interesting when you don't have Snape standing over you."

A cold voice interrupted him. "Really, Mr Potter? I expect then that you will excel in my class next year, since you'll have completed all this extra studying."

Harry nearly jumped, but managed to maintain control. "P- Professor Snape," he stuttered. "Er.. yes, sir. I hope so."

Professor Snape scowled and replied, "Good." Then he stalked off, his black robes billowing behind him even in the crowded atmosphere of Diagon Alley.

"I swear," exclaimed Ron, "he must have his robes charmed or something, that's the only explanation."

"Oh, Ron!" replied an exasperated Hermione.

***

When the group returned to the Burrow, Mrs. Weasley had them all put away their things and then sent them off, saying that she needed them out of her hair for a while. Fred and George returned to their room to work on more inventions, while Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny went out to talk. They'd settled themselves under a tree and were speculating on what next year would bring when Ron turned to Harry and asked, "Harry, really, what did you do to you hair?"

Harry laughed. "Still at that, Ron?" Ron flushed a little while Ginny and Hermione laughed. "Well, I don't know. I didn't even notice until you said something, it's flatter, more manageable now. Not so wild as it once was," Harry shrugged as he concluded his reply.

Hermione said, "It's probably nothing, Harry. Don't worry about it." Ginny though looked at Harry, she was the only one who had noticed Harry's smirk at dinner the previous night, and his scowls looked terribly familiar, too. She studied him now and noticed that while before his nose had been shorter and rounder, now it was longer and thinner, and his cheekbones were just that much more pronounced. She shrugged it off, but she still thought it curious that he would change so much in so little time.

"Come on, who's up for some Quidditch?" she asked, standing up. Hermione declined, but they talked the twins into coming and soon they had a rousing game going which they kept up until they got called in for supper.

"Ginny!" called Harry. "You're really good, you should try out this year. Oliver's graduated, so we'll need a new Keeper."

Ginny's eyes widened at that bit of news, "Thanks Harry, but I don't know..." her voice trailed off.

Harry smiled, "Think about it, okay?"

"Okay."

***

The weeks passed by quickly at the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley made sure that she took good care of Harry, Mr. Weasley questioned Harry constantly about Muggle life, the twins showed him their new inventions, Ron pestered him about Quidditch, and Ginny made sure that he had time to finish his homework. Harry was very grateful to her for this, as he had no desire to face an angry Snape at the beginning of the year.

Then one day after supper, Mrs. Weasley came to him and said, "You'd best pack up, dear. Albus told us about you coming a week early. You'll be able to Floo there, but Albus wants you to come right after breakfast."

In truth, Harry had forgotten that Lupin and Dumbledore had told him to come early, but now he remembered and his worry returned to him full blast. "All right Mrs. Weasley, I'll go pack now," he replied.

While he was packing, Ron came in. "Harry, why are you packing? School's not for another week!"

"Dumbledore wants me to come early. He didn't say why, he just said it's important. I'm leaving tomorrow after breakfast," Harry explained, as he continued to pack.

"I wonder what he wants?" puzzled Ron.

"Dunno, I hope nothing's wrong with Sirius."

"I don't think so mate, he seemed fine at your party."

"You're right," Harry sighed, "I guess I'll just have to see when I get there."

Ron stayed with Harry as he finished packing, and then the two went to bed. Harry slept fitfully now that his mind had returned to his worries, and his nightmares returned in full force. Now though, instead of just dreaming about Voldemort killing his parents, he also had to deal with the ones about the last task of the Triwizard Tournament. The next morning he stumbled, still half-asleep, to breakfast with his trunk and Hedwig's cage.

"Good morning, dear. Didn't you sleep well?" inquired Mrs. Weasley.

"Good morning, Mrs. Weasley. No, not really, but I'll feel better after eating," Harry replied with forced cheerfulness.

Mrs. Weasley looked concerned, but for once she didn't press the matter. "If you say so, dear. Here's your breakfast, eat up."

Harry ate in silence as he considered his dreams, perhaps he should talk to Dumbledore about them.

"All right, dear. Time to go! You don't want to keep Professor Dumbledore waiting," commanded Mrs. Weasley.

"Thank you for everything, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley," said Harry, "I've had a wonderful time, and I'm very grateful."

The two blushed and smiled. Mr. Weasley replied, "You're very welcome, Harry. You're welcome here anytime. In fact, why don't you and Ron come back here for Christmas?"

"Can I really?" asked Harry. When he saw them nod, he added, "Wow! Thanks a lot! I'd love to come!"

Mrs. Weasley smiled and gave him a hug. "Now, on with you," she said as she handed him the floo pot.

"Bye, everyone! I'll see you guys at the Feast!" With that, Harry stepped into the fireplace, and out into Professor Dumbledore's office.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1404