Brothers, Fathers, and Professors by DaughterOfAres
Summary: Sequel to Brothers and Fathers. Tobias, Severus, and Harry are at Hogwarts and school is in session. But nothing can ever be easy for the Snape family.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Ron, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Brothers
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 48986 Read: 136936 Published: 04 Sep 2007 Updated: 12 Oct 2010
Are We There Yet by DaughterOfAres

It could have been hours or minutes before Tobias felt the sobbing woman in his arms calm down, her harsh weeping becoming much slower and calmer. Though if his suspicions were correct then she had every right cry. God only knew if that had been his child…

Tobias pushed the thought from his mind. He couldn’t conceive of it. Minerva had cried into his chest for quite some time and he merely held her, one arm wrapped around her shoulders supporting her while the other rested on her the back of her head. He didn’t say anything, because he knew nothing could make such pain go away.

As she calmed, her breathing still uneven, she didn’t move from his grasp. She didn’t uncurl her fist from the hem of his shirt or release her claw like grip from his chest. Her voice was cracked and soaked with despair as she spoke. “She would have turned four in two weeks. I had already bought her present.”

“She was your daughter then,” Tobias commented softly.

Minerva nodded, closing her eyes and forcing out the tears she was trying to reign in.

“Is this the memory you saw last time? When you first woke up here?” Tobias asked, not attempting to dislodge the transfiguration professor. He unknowingly held a note of fear in his voice, unsure if it would be better to see the same memory again or another just as revolting.

Minerva shook her head against his chest and choked back another sob. Tobias felt his heart drop. The memories that could follow the one he saw before…they had to find a way out.

“I am curious though, Minerva, he called you a ‘traitorous harlot.’ What did he mean by that?” Tobias asked as though discussing political views.

Minerva laughed bitterly before taking a deep breath and pulling away from him, once more leaning against the wall.

“He meant just that,” Minerva replied, still obviously shaken, her hands still trembling slightly, but much more in control than before. Tobias had to admire her courage.

“At the time Grindelwaldwas winning. We were outnumbered and out maneuvered more times than I care to recall. Desiree – my daughter- her father had been killed in an attack. We were going to be married, but…I wanted revenge for his death. So without regard to my safety or well being I decided to spy on Grindelwald. I didn’t join his ranks, but I became…friendly with many of those who had. I gained enough knowledge to give us the upper hand for a while. But I was not the only traitor.”

Minerva shifted against the wall, laying her head back and taking several deep breaths. “Grindelwald found out, and…you saw the results.”

Tobias nodded, looking at the woman beside him in a new light. He had known there was more behind the strict facade of the professor the first time he meet her, but he hadn’t expected this.

xxxxxxxxxx

“Well we obviously can’t get out the same way I came in,” Severus stated calmly. His arms crossed in front of him to prevent his hands from trembling as he surveyed the bland walls around him. Of all the things he had expected when he came through the wall it wasn’t to be thrown into one of his own dark memories. Luckily he was a skilled Occlumens or one of his darker memories may have emerged. He quickly pushed such thoughts aside. Unburying such memories is this place would not be an intelligent idea.

Once the memory of his initiation had disappeared, the scenery he had first seen disappeared as well. Gone was the black smothering atmosphere of before; now he and Harry stood in a small room without windows or doors and bare stonewalls. The room was well lit though no light source was evident.

Harry still seemed shaken. His arms wrapped tightly around his chest casting quick unsure glances at Severus. He shifted from foot to foot as he watched Severus walk around the room. Suddenly, his brother spun around and looked curiously at him. Harry squirmed under his brother’s intense gaze.

“Tell me everything you remember.”

Harry blinked, his mouth open a bit. “About what?” Harry couldn’t prevent the obnoxiousness in his voice at such a stupidly vague question.

Severus fought the urge to roll his eyes. “How did you get here? What happened when you arrived?”

Harry shrugged, his arms falling to his sides and seeking out his pockets. “I went up to my dorm…and…” Harry shook his head as though the action would clear his mind. “That’s all I remember really. I don’t know how I got here. But when I woke up it was dark. Really dark. I couldn’t see anything. And…I kept hearing this voice.”

“Voice?” Severus prompted gently when Harry didn’t continue immediately.

Harry didn’t seem to hear his brother, but began speaking anyway, talking more to himself then Severus. “Like it was in my head. I couldn’t get rid of it. It wanted me to calm down.”

xxxxxxxxxx

Tobias’s shoes snapped quietly against the stone floor as he walked from one wall, to its opposite and then back. His back was straighter than a blade and he seem coiled enough to pounce at any moment. His manner was uneasy and that alone frightened Minerva almost as much as her memory.

“There must be a way out of here,” Tobias mumbled as he walked, his voice barely audible to Minerva’s cat-like ears. He reminded her quite a bit of Severus. She never would have imagined the boy was so much like his muggle father, until now.

Minerva rose from her spot against the wall and slowly made her way toward the center of the room. She was still shaken and her entire form seemed to tremble. She swallowed so her voice wouldn’t crack as much when she spoke.

Minerva didn’t get the opportunity to speak before there was a blinding flash of white.

xxxxxxxxxx

The human mind is a wonderfully complex object. No wizard or muggle scientist has ever been able to truly comprehend its intricacy. The mind can convince the body that it is sick when it is not. The mind can filter through years of memories in less time then it takes to blink.

But the mind can be deceived as well.

Severus had a theory. If he were correct, he would be able to find his father, McGonagall, and escape the creature’s layer.

“Are you ready?” Severus asked, his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry nodded placing a hand on the wall in front of him and closed his eyes.

xxxxxxxxxx

The dockside warehouse was dark and nearly deserted, except for the two men standing up against the wall near the small side exit. Both were dressed in dark colors and nearly invisible unless you knew where to look and what to look for. Their quiet voices seemed to echo across the large crate-filled room.

Tobias carefully studied the man in front of him. The man spoke with a very slight Russian accent; an untrained ear would not have heard it. He was armed, a gun holstered on his hip and one around his ankle as well.

Tobias was similarly armed, only in addition to the two guns he also carried a knife. This was in no way an ideal situation. He didn’t trust the man in front him. The man…a boy really barely a day over nineteen…was almost too quick to give him information. He had been trained from age fifteen to spy on English soil. He had not been trained as well as Tobias, however, and was quickly discovered. He was not the only spy that had been trained though and Tobias wanted more then some stupid low-ranking child. He wanted the entire operation brought down.

You said this was important,” Tobias stated harshly, he kept his hands by his sides, for easy access to his weapons. He hoped this was something big – plans for a meeting perhaps. Then Tobias could plan an ambush operation, hand the whole thing over to someone else, and make it back home in time for his son’s fourth birthday.

It is,” the man sounded shakier than usual and he glanced around nervously.

Tobias waited, boring holes through the man using only his eyes.

No need for such intimidation, Mr. Snape,” the voice came from behind him and Tobias resisted the urge to spin around and see the newest guest.

You’ve done vell, Grigory. Leave us.” The older heavily accented voice from behind ordered.

Tobias waited until Grigory was out the door before reaching out and locking it from the inside. If the man behind him had wanted to kill him he would have do so already.

Tobias then turned around to see his new acquaintance. The man was at least twice Tobias’s age, a graying fifty and a muscular build.

So ve meet again, Tobias Snape. You’ve been a bother to me vor var to long.” The man’s accent was thick, yet oily.

I told them you couldn’t be trusted, Kirill. So what brings you here?”

The man chuckled, a smile on his lips showing a missing bottom tooth. “You must end your operation. Dis is part ov a much larger…deal.”

Bigger then Russian spies on English shores?” Tobias said evenly.

Yes, and you know I can not tell you anything more.”

I need more proof than your word.”

I vought you might say as much.” Kirill reached slowly into his front pocket, his other hand in the air, showing he was not going for a weapon.

Tobias watched carefully, ready to pounce at any moment as Kirill pulled out a small picture.

Tobias glanced briefly at the photo as it was turned towards him and swore his heart stopped. He took special care to show no emotion as the picture of his son was turned away from him once more.

Dis is your boy, yes? You must ve very proud.” Kirill asked brightly as though this was a typical conversation.

Tobias didn’t answer, knowing none was necessary. No one was supposed to know about Severus and Eileen. It was secret so carefully guarded that Tobias doubted his direct superiors knew.

He’ll be turning vour soon, yes?” Kirill chuckled. “It vould be a shame if he didn’t see his birthday present. After all, if his existence vere to be discovered…”

Tobias’s next action was automatic. He didn’t hesitate, he hardly blinked. He didn’t even aim, as he pulled his gun from its holster and made a small, round hole in between Kirill’s blue eyes.

Bending down he picked up the picture and shell casing off the floor, and left the warehouse.

xxxxxxxxxx

“Wow! It actually worked,” Harry said in a whisper as he observed the new scenery around him.

“You don’t have to sound so surprised,” Severus remarked dryly from beside him.

“Yeah, well, it’s not every day the Dungeon Dwelling Greasy Bat of Hogwarts tells you to think happy thoughts.” Harry looked up at his brother. “Forgive me for being a bit skeptical.”

“Brat.”

Severus made a playful swipe at the back of Harry’s head, but Harry ducked, chuckling.

Indeed, Severus had told the boy to think of something pleasant before pushing through the wall. Happier thoughts required less effort on the mind’s part, unless the subject was clinically depressed. A more ‘opened’ mind made it easier for Severus to control where they went when they stepped through the wall.

It took more effort than Severus had imagined and he was surprised he had pulled it off, but he had forcefully pried his way through the creatures ‘boundaries’ into his own mind. However, if he was correct, the pounding in his skull said they were not out of harm’s way yet. Now they were stuck in his mind with some sort of creature trying to force its way in.

“Can you answer me one question, Sev?” Harry asked his arms crossed and staring at his older brother.

Severus raised an eyebrow though he was sure he already knew the question.

“Why are we standing in front of the Taj Mahal?”

xxxxxxxxxx

Tobias stood, not daring to move. His muscles twitched from the effort to remain absolutely motionless, but he didn’t notice. He was suddenly overcome with a need to see his children. To make sure they were okay. To hug them and ensure they were in one piece.

The same fear he had felt that day coursed through his veins once more.

Vaguely he heard a woman’s voice calling his name. He prayed it was Eileen.

“Tobias, Tobias,” Minerva’s voice was urgent and she didn’t understand what was so horrid about the memory to cause this reaction from Tobias.

“He was my first kill,” Tobias said softly, more to himself then Minerva. “I didn’t even think at the time, but…Kirill…I had never murdered a man face to face before. He…I didn’t even…He had threatened my child, but…he wasn’t even armed…I shot him in cold blood... I was twenty-three years old.”

Cautiously, Minerva moved to stand in front of Tobias. Placing a hand on first his left shoulder she gave a brief squeeze before sliding it up his neck and eventually the side of his face before her pressed her fingers against the back of his head and pulled it towards her shoulder.

Tobias’s head landed on her shoulder and his eyes closed, his arms instinctively wrapped around her.

She said nothing.

The End.
End Notes:
Yeah its been a while. Luckily school is out and everything is calming down so I can write more.

So, what do you think of Tobias and Minerva?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1407