Brothers, Fathers, and Professors by DaughterOfAres
Summary: Sequel to Brothers and Fathers. Tobias, Severus, and Harry are at Hogwarts and school is in session. But nothing can ever be easy for the Snape family.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Ron, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Brothers
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 48986 Read: 136934 Published: 04 Sep 2007 Updated: 12 Oct 2010
A Walk Down Memory Lane by DaughterOfAres
Author's Notes:
Its been a while. I'm sorry.

Severus blinked his eyes as they adjusted after being nearly blinded by the flash of light. The sight that greeted him, however, was not something he had ever thought he'd see.

His father was standing over him, a knife poised threateningly at his throat.

"Dad," Severus said, his voice nearly a croak. He didn't know what to make of the situation. Could this be an illusion? Or had the creature done something to his father?

"Tell me something about yourself that I don't know, Sev," Tobias demanded. He prayed the figures in front of his were his sons, but he couldn't take chances.

Severus couldn't immediately see his fathers logic, but wasn't about to start questioning the man who held a knife at his throat.

"Rat's liver, dragon's blood, and daffodils are the three key ingredients to any form altering potion."

Tobias visibly relaxed and lowered the knife before he pulled Severus up from ground and into a hug. Tobias's arms wrapped around Severus's shoulders and a hand came to the back of his oldest son's head. After everything that Tobias had seen recently, holding his son close had never felt so good. He never wanted to release his boy again.

"Its okay, Dad," Severus whispered.

Severus had never seen his father react like this. Not that his dad had never hugged him, far from it, but he seemed to be clutching Severus to him like a lifeline. As if Severus would disappear if he let go. He tightened his arms around his father, unsure of what else to do.

Tobias pushed Severus back reluctantly. The hug hadn't lasted long, but he had another child to attended to as well. Harry was standing not to far from Severus with messy hair and a pale complexion looking more than a bit shell-shocked. Tobias's paternal instinct easily went into overload.

In a matter of seconds Tobias's arms encircled him crushing him to his chest. Trying without words to take away some of the hurt.

Harry had no idea how much he'd wanted a hug from his dad until he felt his face press against his fathers grimy, cotton shirt. He returned the hug with every ounce of strength he possessed, and he felt his dad's fingers begin to card through his hair. Suddenly, it didn't matter that they were lost or trapped or whatever -- at least his dad was there with him.

Severus approached Minerva cautiously where she appeared pale and shaken. Behind him, his father was talking calmingly to Harry.

"Minerva..." Severus began softly.

"Don't!" Minerva said sharply. Her eyes snapped to him, resembling a panic stricken animal whose first instinct is to claw anything that came too close.

Severus stopped immediately and looked cautiously at the witch, his deep obsidian eyes betraying his concern.

Minerva took a deep breath, closing her eyes and turning her head to the side. Her voice was eerily calm when she spoke next.

"I just want to get out of here, Severus. You found us, so you must know how to get us out. Now."

Severus nodded his understanding, although he was curious and uneasy at what could possibly shake up two of the strongest people he knew.

"I doubt it will work, but we must try to break out of here the same way that Harry and I managed to break out of his mind."

"And how's that?" Tobias asked. He had released Harry from the hug but kept a protective arm around the boy's shoulders.

Severus allowed himself a lopsided smile. Mockingly, though slightly amused, he said, "Join hands and think happy thoughts."

SssssssssS

Surprisingly enough, Severus technique worked and they were once again inside his mind.

"I'm not sure I understand," Tobias said, staying close to Harry.

Severus sighed. "Whatever this thing is, it leaves a trail inside the minds of those it attacks. Apparently, it gains strength with every attack, so the first few assaults were relatively mild. Now, however, it is stronger. It managed to trap you, Minerva, and Harry inside your own minds and was feeding off your memories. By infiltrating its...labyrinth through one of the first students it attacked, I was able to find you and Harry."

"But now we're outside its...nest...its realm of influence?"

"Perhaps," Severus said while taking a seat on the familiar looking rock, by the stream that was an exact replica to the one flowing near their home on Spinner's End.

"What do you mean by that?" Minerva asked, her eyes focusing for the first time since they had entered Severus's mind. Severus rubbed his eyes with his fingertips, while his left arm hung limply at his side, and he slumped forward slightly.

"It would appear . . ." Severus's voice was heavy with exhaustion as he struggled to keep speaking. "It would appear that in penetrating this creature's lair...my mind is now linked with its. Even now, it is forcing its way in...and...rearranging things."

"Very good," a deep voice purred from all around them. "You are more challenging than the others. A worthy addition."

Harry's eyes widened and he moved closer to his father, who clutched the useless knife in his right hand. This time, the voice hadn't come from his head.

Severus grabbed the sides of his head with his hands, doubling over in obvious pain and nearly sliding off the rock.

"What are you?" Severus voice didn't come from his mouth, but echoed around them in the same manner as the creatures.

"I am the Wodahs." The voice sounded almost sad.

It was silent for a long moment.

"NO!" Severus's voice reverberated around them, forcing Tobias, Harry, and Minerva to cover their ears.

"You will not win," the voice replied calmly. "Your defenses will not hold forever."

The ground beneath their feet began to tremble and the calmly flowing stream turned into raging rapids just at Severus let out a scream and fell from the rock he was sitting on.

This seemed to bring Tobias to life and he rushed to his oldest son with Harry and Minerva not far behind. Just as they reached Severus, the ground shook violently enough to throw the small group into the rapids.

The calmly flowing stream had contained all of Severus's memories of his family. Both good and bad. Normally, when his mind wasn't being assaulted, he kept the good memories flowing gently at the top the bad underneath. Now, many of the bad memories had been forced violently to the top, causing the rapids.

And Severus, along with his father, brother, and another professor were being thrown into the menagerie.

SssssssssS

Fifteen year old Severus was slouched back against the couch with his arms crossed over his chest, looking everywhere except at his father, who was currently standing in front him with a displeased look on his face.

"How many times do we have to go though this, Severus, before you get it through your head not to play around with potions? You could have suffocated, you foolish boy!" Tobias was nearly yelling, but took a deep breath and forced himself to calm down before continuing.

"It's one thing if you want to practice a few safe potions, but I've told you over and over -- no experimenting. It's not safe for you to experiment unless you are at Hogwarts."

Severus continued to act out the stereotypical role of a sulky teenage boy, without so much as acknowledging his father's presence.

Tobias visibly stiffened at the blatant disrespect from his own son.

"Have it your way then," Tobias said in low but resolute voice.

Moving away from his son and towards the kitchen, Tobias went to the door that led to the basement, which housed first Eileen's then Severus's potions lab.

Nervous over what his father planned to do, Severus followed just in time to see his father lock the basement door with the key that stayed above the door frame.

"What are you doing?" Severus shouted in dismay, his mouth hanging open slightly as he stared at locked door.

"I warned you, Severus," Tobias said, turning away from the door and putting the key in his pocket. He closed the distance between himself and his son blocking his view of the basement door.

"You can't do this!" Severus shouted at his father, finally making eye contact. "It's my lab!"

Tobias's eyes narrowed. "Do not raise your voice to me."

Severus was too angry to think rationally.

"I'LL YELL IF I BLOODY WELL FEEL LIKE IT!" Severus screamed at his father.

Tobias, who thought he had been rather patient with his son, grabbed the boy's arm roughly and dragged him to the sink. Picking up the bottle of liquid dish soap he released Severus's arm.

"Open your mouth." Tobias commanded without preamble. Severus knew very well the price for swearing.

The kitchen was silent as father and son stared at one another.

Severus crossed his arms over his chest once more trying not to look as exposed and vulnerable as he felt, and looked down at the floor before whispering a reply.

"Go to hell."

Tobias had had enough ten minutes ago. He had over extended his patience as much as possible. Very slowly, he placed the bottle of soap down on the counter. He was silent for quite some time in an attempt to calm down so as not to shake some sense into his son.

Tobias's voice was deadly calm when he spoke. "Room. Now."

Severus's eyes narrowed and he seemed to have lost every bit of self preservation that he had.

"I want the key to my lab."

"We will discuss this when we have both calmed down." Tobias had to stop his teeth from grinding together.

"No!" Severus yelled again. "You can't take my lab from me!"

Tobias had a brief image of removing his belt and whipping his son. He pushed the thought aside before he could fully consider it. He wouldn‘t be his father. So he did the next thing that came to mind. Without so much as a warning he grabbed his son‘s ear and began moving towards the teenager‘s room, ignoring the protests and swearing.

Once in the untidy room, Tobias pushed the boy down on the bed in an undignified heap then turned and left, slamming the door behind him.

Severus was not willing to let things go that easily, however. Completely unaware as to how thin his father's control was at the moment, he angrily jumped from the bed and left the bedroom, heading straight for his father.

Tobias was pacing the living room trying desperately to reign in his temper. Turning in time to see his son coming towards him, obviously eager to continue their fight, what little control Tobias had left went flying out the window. As soon as Severus was within arms distance, he grabbed the boy's arm and spun him around so Severus‘s backside was towards him.

Tobias landed two hard smacks on his son's bottom.

Severus was so shocked he didn't even protest. His father had only ever really spanked him once before: when he was eight years old and had tried to play with his father's gun. Now though, he was fifteen and way too old to be subject to this form of discipline.

"Room. Now," he ordered quietly but firmly. He was completely shaken over his loss of control.

Severus's self-preservation (which had taken a brief vacation) finally returned and he went back to his room, more then a little shocked and subdued.

Tobias waited until he heard the door close to Severus's room before collapsing on the couch. He buried his head in his hands.

He had lost control.

He was no better then his own father.

SssssssssS

Severus groaned in his father's arms. His hands still clutching the sides of his head trying to fight off the thing attacking his mind.

The small group had been thrown from the memory and where once again on the bank of the rapids. The ground continued to tremble around them and the current became more erratic.

Harry and Minerva knelt on either side of Tobias and over Severus equally unsure about what to do, although they were less shaken up from the memory then Tobias. He remembered that day clearly and the regret and shame he had felt at losing his temper. He remembered how a couple hours after he had hit Severus, he had gone to his son's room, confident that he had control over his emotions once more. He had found his son asleep on his bed...

A moan from Severus brought Tobias out of his memories. Prying his son's hands off his head he placed his own hands there and turned the tortured face toward his own. Severus's eyes were scrunched up in pain, sweat poured from his forehead, and his upper lip was beaded with it as well.

Tobias spoke shakily. "I'm sorry, Sev. You have no idea. Please believe me."

Through the pain, Severus managed to hear his father's voice and focused enough to open his eyes. What happened next he couldn't explain. Whether it was an effect of the mental assault or some form of accidental magic . . . he didn't know. As soon as Severus and his father made eye contact, they were pulled into his father's memories.

SssssssssS

Unlike the last time, Severus found that this wasn't painful. His head didn't pound any longer and standing next to him, his father seemed as equally confused as they watched the memory unfold.

Tobias moved the desk chair beside his son's bed and watched the fifteen year old sleep for quite some time. Eventually, the mop of lanky black hair began to move and onyx eyes met his. Apprehension -- and possibly a bit of fear -- showed on Severus's face as he sat up on the side of his bed to face his father.

The look tore at Tobias's heart and increased his guilt. Never did he want his son to be afraid of him.

"I'm sorry," Severus whispered.

Tobias nodded, "Me too. I shouldn't have lost my temper like that."

Severus was looking at his father with shock written all over his young features. He had not been expecting an apology from his father. In fact, he wouldn't have been surprised if his dad had decided to give him a real thrashing. He probably deserved it for his behavior.

Tobias half smiled at his son's expression. "Your behavior was completely unacceptable, Severus, and we will discuss it further in a moment. But you are a child. I'm the adult and my behavior was just as atrocious. I'm more sorry then you will ever know."

"It's okay," Severus mumbled, unsure about what to do with his dad's apology.

"No, Severus, it isn't ‘okay'," Tobias said seriously. "I can't undo what I did. Only promise you that I will never loose control like that again."

Severus was silent for a moment, having no idea how to respond.

"Well, you can make it up to me by giving me my lab back," Severus said in all seriousness a moment later.

Tobias laughed.

"Good try, son," Tobias consoled when his laughter subsided patting the boy on the knee.

Severus looked a bit disappointed and resigned.

As Severus and Tobias watched the rest of the memory play out, Severus realized he knew what he had to do to defeat this creature and could have kicked himself for not seeing it sooner. Before the memory could fade, he threw all his effort into another memory of his choosing.

SssssssssS

Tobias was once again on the shore of the stream, more confused then ever. But looking down at his son's face convinced him that whatever was going on, it was a good thing. Severus's face no longer wore an expression of intense pain.

And the ground was no longer shaking.

Even the rapids where beginning to calm.

Suddenly, without warning, their surroundings changed.

And it took Tobias a minute to realize they were in another memory.

SssssssssS

They had recently begun settling into the castle. With an ‘escort' consisting of Moody and Arthur Weasley, Tobias, Severus, and Harry had retrieved their things from Spinner's End. Now the family was sorting through their belongings.

They came across several interesting items as they worked, relating all sorts of stories and sharing memories with one another. Coming across an old photo album they sat on the floor to look from picture to picture, reminiscing.

Taking a break for lunch, the three Snapes sat around the table eating the sandwiches the house elves had prepared. Tobias had an old, but well cared for book in his hand.

"Take a look at what I found, Sev," Tobias said, handing the book across the table to his oldest son. Severus took the book from his father while taking a sip of water. Severus took the book from his father while sipping on a glass of water, and a glance at the cover caused a soft smile to come over his face.

"You used to read this to me just about every night when I was a child," Severus said fondly. His eyes traced the faded lettering: "Tales of Beedle the Bard"

He handed the book to Harry next, who was trying to see what the big deal was.

"I have to admit, Sev, I enjoyed them as much as you did. I had never heard of these fairy tales until your mother handed me that book one day when you where about a year old. She thought that reading to an infant would help put you to sleep."

Severus looked sharply up at his father. "She bought it for me?"

Severus couldn't remember his mother ever doing or buying anything for him. His father always purchased his birthday and Christmas presents.

Tobias nodded, a pained expression flashing across his face briefly. "She even read to you once or twice as well. Though you were too young to remember it."

Harry had lost interest in the book for the moment and was glancing between his father and brother. He understood his brothers feelings towards their mother. Sev couldn't stand her,...but at the same time, she was their mother. Gently, Harry handed the book back to his brother.

Severus seemed lost in thought as though desperately searching for a good memory of his mother. He seemed to come up empty handed.

"May I keep this?" Severus asked softly, as though afraid of being denied.

Tobias nodded, "Of course, Sev."

Severus stood up from the table the...

"No!" Severus voice echoed around the memory and the minds of those watching it. This wasn't what he wanted. The Wodahs was twisting his memories.

The memory began to fade away only to be replaced by another.

SssssssssS

Severus laughed as Harry's sputtering head emerged from the water.

It was a warm enough day outside that Tobias, Severus, and Harry had decided to spend the day out by the lake. The students wouldn't be arriving for another two weeks and the Snape family wanted to enjoy one another's company as much as possible before school started.

Of course, someone had to be the first to be thrown in the water. It was only fitting that that person be the youngest.

Harry quickly got over the shock of the cold water and glared at his brother on the shore, who had literally picked him up and thrown him into the water.

Severus continued to laugh, oblivious to his father coming up behind him.

Harry would never forget the shocked, if not horrified, look on his brother's face as Tobias gave him a bit of a shove while using his foot to trip him causing the Potion's Master in end up face first in the water.

SssssssssS

Severus smiled slightly as he opened his eyes. He was lying on the bank of the once again calmly flowing stream that contained all his family memories.

He's tactic had worked. He had pushed the creature back out of his mind. At least for now. He could already feel the Wodahs trying to launch another attack.

Focusing on the person calling his name he turned his face coming to meet his father's concerned eyes.

"Hi, dad." Severus said quietly, with a bit of amusement.

Tobias sighed in relief, a lopsided smile coming over his fatigued features.

"Hi, son."

"Did you defeat it? Is it gone?" Minerva asked, clearly agitated.

"Hardly." Severus said in his teaching voice, while allowing his father to help him up off the ground. "But I know how to do so."

The End.
End Notes:
Many thanks to breenatala for beta'ing.

Special thanks to Scorpia for helping with some of the memories!

The next chapter is being beta'd now. I'll have it posted in a couple of days.

Thanks for reading and please review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1407