Brothers, Fathers, and Professors by DaughterOfAres
Summary: Sequel to Brothers and Fathers. Tobias, Severus, and Harry are at Hogwarts and school is in session. But nothing can ever be easy for the Snape family.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Ron, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Brothers
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 48986 Read: 136944 Published: 04 Sep 2007 Updated: 12 Oct 2010
Constant Vigilance is Underrated by DaughterOfAres

The Order meeting was being held at the temporary headquarters in London. The apartment building was rather dilapidated, in the worst part of town imaginable. The Granger's, with some magical assistance, had converted the sixth floor into their temporary home until their home and offices could be completely secured. The same apartment was also being used as headquarters until a new location could be obtained.

Severus apparated to a designated spot not to far from the building and, keeping a close eye on his surroundings, made his way to the crumbling, discolored building. The stairs creaked as he walked up to the sixth floor and when he knock on the door of the Granger's apartment he feared for a moment it would cave in. The door was opened by Mrs. Weasley, who quickly ushered him into the kitchen where he took a seat at the table. The Grangers, of course, weren't permitted to attend the meeting and after greeting the Order members excused themselves to the living room.

Dumbledore cleared his throat, announcing the start of the meeting. "Though, for the most part Voldemort has been quiet, it is obvious he is gathering his resources. I wouldn't be surprised if the dementors soon leave Azkaban. We, though still growing, are small in number and have no way of gathering inside information. We are worse off now then we were at the end of the last war."

Silence fell amongst the small group of future heroes as they sat dejectedly contemplating their decisions. Most would come to the conclusion that, regardless of the risk, it would be worth it. Despite the fact that many in their number would die in the struggle, they would continue their fight.

One however, would doubt his place amongst them. One would wonder if he would be better off to take his child, when it was born, and run as far away as possible. That one, though, would swallow hard and think of his brother who was destined to fight Voldemort, for no other reason then a self-fulling prophesy and the beliefs of a madman. He would think of his father who would die before letting any harm come to his family. And as these thoughts materialized in his head his resolve would strengthen. Severus vowed that he would stay and fight and possibly die to defeat an enemy that he, at one time, swore to serve.

When Albus spoke next his tone was no more cheerful, if anything it only sounded more tired then before, as though he too were contemplating past decisions. "This creature roaming Hogwarts, however, must be stopped. It has killed three house elves and attacked two students...."

"Two students?" McGonagall interrupted, scandalized, shock evident in her voice which held years of wisdom as her head snapped to the side so fast Severus feared it might come off. "Who was the second student? When was the attack? And why haven't I been informed?"

"The second student," Dumbledore spoke placating and calmly. "Was attacked less then an hour ago, just before I left Hogwarts. He was a sixth year Ravenclaw coming from a detention with Professor Umbridge. His condition was not as sever as the Slytherin girl's, but basically the same. He was covered with many shallow wounds that can't be healed with magic and has no memory of anything after arriving for detention with the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"So what's the plan?" asked Tonks seriously, with a determination in her eye that few saw.

Before Albus could answer Moody's gruff voice was heard. "What we really need is to get Tobias here."

Once again Albus was prevented from answering, this time by Severus's firm but otherwise emotionless voice. "No." From his seated position Severus crossed his arms and glared at the older ex-auror. If he knew how teenagerish his position looked to the older man he would have immediately shifted in his chair. "No, he has been put into enough danger as it is. I will not allow my family to be placed in even more danger." Though he tried to keep his thoughts focused on the meeting and the subject at hand, Severus couldn't help but wondering how much danger his child would be in, and how much of that danger was caused by him.

Moody smirked and chuckled darkly, looking amused at Severus before speaking softly, almost teasingly. "Do you know what your father did when he was in the Navy, lad?"

After a pause Severus realized this wasn't a rhetorical question and answered just as darkly, not understanding where this was going. "No."

Moody smirked, in a most feral like way. "I didn't think so. Did you ever wonder what was so important that your father couldn't tell you? Did you ever wonder why only after a few years of service, he retired and became a part time accountant, yet still received full pay from the navy?"

Severus didn't answer just glared. Yes, he had wondered time and time again as to what his father had done during his time in the navy. He had asked his father on more than one occasion, but never received an answer. He recalled once, when he was thirteen, asking and being told, rather harshly, that it was not his concern and that his dad couldn't reveal that information; then being asked not to question his father any more about it.

Moody cocked his head to the side, his smirk growing. "Well, lad, I do. Not all of it of course, but with a little...privileged research...you can be amazed at what you can discover. And let me assure you, lad, it's a great mark to your father's abilities that he was able to keep you safe after his retirement. He was in danger long before you were born and that hasn't changed."

Severus sat perfectly still. Outwardly, no one could see a single emotion or thought. Inwardly, his mind was a mass of questions. He knew Moody was right...but...damn, he had never thought of his dad as some sort of secret agent or anything like that. He was his dad: a Navy Captain, an accountant, strict, loving, and protective.

Moody's voice interrupted Severus's thoughts. "Did you ever wonder why your dad didn't have many questions about the wizarding world? Did you think he truly got all his information from school books? Didn't you ever consider it odd that he could absorb information incredibly fast, and remember it for long periods of time?"

Severus couldn't take any more, in a direct answer to Moody's questions he stood from the table and in an emotionless voice addressed the gruff auror that was stripping him of any naïve illusions he held of his father. "Yes, Alastor I did wonder and I still do, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to send him to the front lines." With that Severus turned and left the kitchen and the run down apartment. He needed to speak with his father.

.............................

It was close. So very, very, close to its target. It had been hunting for this one for quite some time. It was not where the caller said it would be.

It had to move through such small places to get to this one. Slipping through the cracks that the food couldn't was a great advantage.

The calls were coming more and more frequently, its hunger was slowly ebbing away, but would not be satisfied for quite some time.

The target appeared to be resting; it didn't look in its direction, seemingly intent on ignoring its presents.

Moving slowly, excruciatingly so, it moved towards its meal.

..............................

Harry was hiding out in his room in his dad's living quarters. As soon as classes had ended on Friday afternoon, he headed straight for his dad's room and hadn't left since then. His father had let him eat his dinner in their quarters Friday night and breakfast the next morning, but Harry knew it wouldn't last. His dad had look at him skeptically when he said he wasn't hungry at lunch time, as though he knew Harry was just trying to avoid the Great Hall and his friends. When it was time for dinner, he had told his dad he just didn't feel like going to the Great Hall and that he'd much rather eat a small dinner in their small kitchen. They had argued about it for several minutes until Tobias had declared that he could eat dinner there, but he'd have to make it himself and he would be eating alone since his dad was going to the Great Hall.

Tobias had tried to get his son to tell him what was wrong and why he didn't want to eat in the Great Hall, but Harry seemed just to brush him off. Something was bothering the blasted boy, but he wouldn't say what. Tobias contemplated banging his head up against the stone walls of the castle, but figured there were much better ways to knock himself unconscious.

..........................

Harry didn't bother sitting up from his comfortable position, stretched out on his bed and staring up at the ceiling, when he heard the door open. Nor did he bother to turn his head to see who was crossing the room towards him, hoping that if he ignored whoever it was they would go away. He was filled with mixture of emotions, the most prominent one being anger... and he was hungry. He could have easily made himself a sandwich or something for dinner, but instead went to his room to sulk. He didn't want to tell his dad what was wrong, because that would mean revealing what transpired during Umbridge's detentions.

Harry was oddly startled when a thin hand shook his shoulder gently and he realized Severus was standing over him. Severus smirked a bit at his brothers startled expression before pulling the desk chair over to Harry's bed and taking a seat.

Severus's voice was unusually calm and his expression completely neutral as he spoke to his brother. "Dad having dinner in the Great Hall?"

Harry nodded his head, but didn't bother making eye contact or moving from his comfortable position in bed. "Yeah. How was the meeting?"

Severus's face still refused to show emotion as he stared at his younger brother. Something was bothering the boy. "That's none of you're concern and you know it."

"Of course it isn't." Harry hissed angrily finally sitting up from bed in order to turn angry black eyes to his brother. "After all, why would it be my concern that a madman is trying to kill me!" Harry voice gradually grew in volume until it ended in a grand crescendo.

An angry look came over Severus's face and he crossed his arms before opening his mouth, but before he could say anything, it immediately snapped shut. He glared at his brother for several moments until the teen started to shift unconformable under his gaze. When he spoke again he was careful not to betray his anger and kept his voice as steady as possible. "I don't know what's gotten into you, but I have better things to do then to deal with your temper tantrums."

Harry watched, still angry, as his brother got up from the chair and left his room, closing the door softly behind him. Harry felt his anger rising, for what reasons he didn't know exactly, but he felt justified in taking his pillow and throwing it against the door, followed by the book that was resting on his nightstand. Sitting on his bed, his heart beating quickly and almost panting from anger, Harry didn't know what to do. So, he laid back down on his bed, without a pillow, and tried to calm himself down.

....................................

It always felt so satisfied after a meal, but then it had to go back. It had to return to the caller.

Once there, the caller would put it back in its prison. It had spent so much time in there. The caller had released it, though. Therefore, it had to obey the caller.

Even if the caller often presented itself as a delicious meal. It would be so easy...but no...the caller could cause more pain. The caller must be kept happy.

So it would go to the caller. It would eat only when permitted. But soon...very soon...it would all be over.

.....................................

The wrong son was sitting at the kitchen table eating a quickly prepared sandwich when Tobias entered his quarters. Drawing Severus's attention when he entered the kitchen, Tobias took a seat opposite his son at the small table.

"Where's Harry?" questioned Tobias casually, not at all suspecting the line of questions he was about to receive from Severus.

"He's in his room. He's been in there since I arrived. He seemed upset." Severus took a sip of the wine colored juice in front of him, his voice emotionless and his face impassive. Tobias realized Harry wasn't the only one upset.

"Something's bothering you," Tobias stated matter-of-factly his eyes studying his son carefully.

Severus dropped his mask long enough to smirk at his father's comment. "Am I really that easy to read?"

Tobias raised an eyebrow and returned the smirk. "Yes."

"I just came from an Order meeting." Severus stated factually.

"Really," Tobias almost purred. "Have you discovered the treacherous bastard that gave Voldemort the means to capture us?"

Severus shook his head and a slightly dark look that was not aimed at his father passed over his features quickly. "No, not yet, however Moody brought something up that may interest you."

Only years of practice kept Tobias from narrowing his eyes at his son. The signals that put him on guard were in place and fully functional. He had a distinct idea as to where this was going. Ensuring that his expressions, tone, or body language didn't give him away, Tobias continued as though he didn't suspect a thing. "And what would that be?"

Severus met his dad's eyes and he hesitated for just a moment before continuing. He wasn't sure if he wanted to have this conversation with his father. When he was growing up his dad spoke very little of his Naval experiences. He had told his son about training and a few things he did at the beginning of his career, but looking back he really didn't know that much. It was a startlingly revelation; there were things that his dad didn't want him to know. Severus's voice was soft and resolved all at once when he finally opened his mouth to speak to his father. "Alastor said that he had done some ‘research' and found some information on your career in the Navy. He wouldn't tell me exactly what he knew, but implied that it was dangerous and secretive. He said that it was a ‘great mark of your abilities' that you were able to keep me safe after your ‘retirement'."

It was silent for a moment and Severus tried to find the correct words for what he was asking. Tobias meanwhile was torn between wanting to hunt Moody down and gut him like a fish or buy him a drink while they exchanged stories.

Without breaking eye contact with his father Severus continued in the same gentle but strong tone. "How true is that statement, dad? I know you can't tell me specifics, but...what did you really do when you were in the Navy?"

Tobias crossed his arms and studied his son carefully before taking on a hard forbidding tone. "Even if I could tell you Severus, I wouldn't. All you need to know is that I am retired and that we are perfectly safe."

With that Tobias stood from the table and left the kitchen and his son. He would have to have a talk with Moody later. He needed to check on Harry, now. The boy hadn't eaten since breakfast and something was obviously bothering him as well.

The End.
End Notes:
This is a pathetically short chapter, I know. But I was extremely busy and didn’t really have time to write so…*shrugs.* Anyway, what do you think?

Many thanks to Breanatalla.

Thanks to all my reviewers.

So…what are your thoughts on Tobias now?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1407