Brothers, Fathers, and Professors by DaughterOfAres
Summary: Sequel to Brothers and Fathers. Tobias, Severus, and Harry are at Hogwarts and school is in session. But nothing can ever be easy for the Snape family.
Categories: Big Brother Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Fred George, Hermione, McGonagall, Other, Ron, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Brothers
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 48986 Read: 136939 Published: 04 Sep 2007 Updated: 12 Oct 2010
Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing by DaughterOfAres

Tobias pushed the door of his son's room open looking curiously at the pillow and book lying on the floor before casting raising an eyebrow at Harry who was laying down on his bed. Harry's back was towards him and the boy didn't make any move to acknowledge his father's presence.

Tobias picked the pillow and book up off the floor and moved to his son's bedside. He suddenly felt guilty for leaving the distraught teen to fend for himself while he had dinner in the Great Hall. At the same time, however, Harry had to learn that hiding wasn't going to solve anything and that's exactly what his son had been doing. Something had happened that Harry wouldn't disclose to him, though Tobias had a feeling it had something to do with his son's friends, and instead of dealing with it, Harry had decided that barricading himself in his room was the best thing to do.

Setting the book down on the nightstand beside the bed, Tobias took a seat on the edge of the mattress. One hand still held the discarded pillow, but the other hand made its way to Harry's head, and Tobias ran his fingers through the dark, silky hair.

Harry didn't stir.

Tobias sighed and spoke softly with a heartfelt tone. "I'm sorry, Harry."

Harry still didn't move, seemingly intent on ignoring his dad. If Tobias hadn't been able to see the dark eyes blinking open and closed he'd have thought the boy asleep.

Tobias swallowed and continued his earnest apology, never removing his hand from his son's head. "I'm sorry that I left you here to make your own dinner and I'm sorry that I wasn't more patient. I'm sorry for every mistake that I've made since the beginning of the summer and for all the ones I will make as your dad."

Harry finally rolled over and looked his dad in the eyes. When his dad first entered the room he had been too angry to talk to him, but hearing his dad apologize was enough to drain all the anger from him. He sounded small, even to himself, when he replied to his dad. "I want to go camping."

Tobias stopped his rhythmic movements for a second and looked at his son curiously, not quite understanding the connection between camping and his apology.

Before Tobias could say anything however, Harry continued speaking, his voice growing marginally louder and faster as he spoke until it began cracking at the end. "You said we'd go camping again because Severus got sick last time, but we didn't. I want to go camping, dad, and I want Severus to act like he did when we were ten, and I want to go back to how things were this summer. I want to go home and I want everything to go back to normal."

"Harry," Tobias soothed in a deep silky voice as his mouth curved up at the corners and he moved his hand to gently rub his sons arm. "Child, things can't go back to how they were this summer. You and Sev will never be the same age as each other. As for things going back to normal," the upturned corners of Tobias's mouth grew into a small smile that played across his lips, "I hate to tell you this son, but, finding out your parents aren't who you thought they were, being deaged along with your newly discovered brother, meeting the mother that abandoned you, being captured by a dark lord, and having your muggle father become your history of magic teacher is not normal."

Harry's brow crinkled slightly in frustration causing him to look much younger. "It's not fair..."

Tobias interrupted his son before he could finish his sentence. "No, lad, it isn't fair. None of it is. Nevertheless, we must deal with what life throws at us." Tobias paused for a moment to consider his next words. He wanted to help his son. He wanted to make whatever was bothering him go away, but he couldn't if his son didn't talk to him. Whether Harry didn't understand that his dad was there to help or if he simply wanted to prove he could deal with things on his own, Tobias couldn't say.

"Harry," Tobias began in a serious somewhat firm tone, but paused before continueing. He suddenly realized that he's sons were not quite as different then he imagined. Yes, Harry was more starved for physical contact then Sev had ever been, but both needed their space. Neither could be pushed to disclose information if they had not desire to do so, yet if given time, Tobias was sure Harry would come to him in much the same way Severus did.

With a resigned sigh Tobias resumed speaking, once more. "You know that I'm here to help right? That you don't have to do things alone anymore. Regardless of what it is, I'll listen if that's all you want or, if you need me to, I'll get Sev to hex someone for you." Tobias was please when his comment managed to make his youngest son smirk. "I'm here Harry, always. Understand?"

Harry looked into his dad's pleading eyes and couldn't help but feel that his dad's words weren't entirely true. He didn't know why he couldn't believe his father, but for whatever reason he couldn't. He wanted to, but...something... "Okay," Harry lied, in a quite voice no longer making eye contact with Tobias.

Tobias smiled a little as he stood up then, using the pillow; he playfully hit his son in the stomach. "Come on, let's get you something to eat."

Harry smiled a little as he slid off the bed and followed his father into the kitchen where Severus was still sitting at the table his quickly-made sandwich still in front of him, forgotten. Severus glanced up to see his father and brother enter the kitchen and watched as his father gently pushed Harry towards the table while Tobias gathered all the necessary components for sandwich making.

The two brothers simply stared at each other for a moment neither willing to make the first move. Harry was no longer upset with Severus, though he still wanted to know what happened at the Order meeting. Not only that, but for some strange, unknown, freaky, weird, odd reason he wanted to tell his brother about Umbridge. He didn't know why he wanted to talk to his brother about it more then his dad, but he did.

They continued to stare opening at one another until Tobias sat a plate down in front of Harry with two monstrous sized sandwiches on it. Once Tobias had taken his seat at the table, Harry picked up one of the sandwiches and began eating silently. The tension in the room was tangible as three Snape's sat around the kitchen table each caught in their own thoughts.

.......................

By lunch on Sunday, Harry could still be found sulking in his room in his dad's quarters. He hadn't left their rooms since Friday and though he felt a bit stir-crazy the thought of facing his friends was enough to keep him cooped-up. Harry slowly walked out of his room and into the kitchen for lunch, still wearing his nightclothes. Sitting down at the table, he ignored the disapproving look his father gave his attire and instead began playing with his food.

"Harry," his father's solemn voice disturbed Harry's musings and he braced himself for the conversation he knew was coming. "You do realize that you will have to go to class tomorrow, right? You can't hide out in here forever."

Harry shrugged, but clenched his fist under the table. The same one that had the words ‘I will not tell lies' etched painfully into the skin.

Tobias sighed then continued eating; neither said a word until they were done.

Still sitting at the table, Harry finished his lunch before speaking to his dad as though he were the most miserable teenager on earth. "I want to visit Severus."

"Then do so," said Tobias, hopeful that his oldest son would be able to relieve his youngest of whatever was bothering him.

"May I use the floo?" Harry asked quietly staring at a spot on the table his voice sounding small and sad.

Tobias thought for a moment but eventually agreed to let Harry use the fireplace to reach Severus's quarters.

....................

Severus was sitting on his couch in his living quarters trying to read. Trying, because he seemed unable to concentrate on what was in front of him. His usually focused and well-disciplined mind was drifting between thoughts of his soon to be new baby, which despite the reassurances from him father he still had worries about, and the conversation he had tried to have with his father the previous night. When the fireplace flared green and Harry came stumbling through the grate, Severus was both irritated with the interruption and grateful for the distraction.

"Hi," Harry spoke quietly while taking his wand out and cleaning himself off.

Severus raised an eyebrow before responding with a neutral, "Hello."

Once Harry had most of the dust cleaned off he sat down next to his brother on the couch. He wanted to talk to his brother to tell him what was going on with Umbridge, but for some reason all he could do is sit and stare at the fireplace.

Perhaps it was his desire to tell someone about Umbridge and the blood quill that caused him to unconsciously begin playing with his hands, which in turn drew Severus's attention.

An objective third party would have found the look of shock on the stoic professors face amusing as Severus, rather roughly, reached over and snatched Harry's abused hand, bring it closer for inspection.

"Harry," Severus began seriously, anger trickling into his voice. "How did this happen?"

Harry didn't try to yank his hand away, but for some reason found it difficult to speak, which he found very odd. Hadn't he come to talk to Severus about this? Why was he suddenly so reluctant talk to his older brother?"

"Harry," Severus repeated much more softly, though his anger was boiling just below the surface. "Harry, tell me what happened."

Harry finally pulled his hand away from his brother and drew his knees to his chest. His voice was eerily calm when he answered his brother. "Umbridge made me do lines for detention."

Severus swallowed the rage that was threatening to erupt with this revelation. "With a blood quill."

It wasn't a question, so Harry didn't bother answering.

Severus suddenly stood up and Harry could feel the anger coming off him in monstrous waves. Without saying a word to his younger brother, he stormed out of his rooms.

................

Minerva McGonagall sat in her office pretending to pay attention to what the Toad Woman was saying. Umbridge had cornered her after lunch and before she could so much as curse the woman through the stone walls of the castle she found herself sitting at her desk listening to Umbridge prattle on about ‘reforming' the school. Minerva smiled to herself. As horrible as the situation was, she felt maliciously happy about the fact that the staff had been able to hide the attacks on the students and elves from her.

Dolores's rant was interrupted by a knock on her door. With a terse, ‘pardon me' to Umbridge McGonagall beckoned her visitors to enter.

The door opened revealing the Weasley twins, wearing the same ‘innocent' grin that had given her many of her grey hairs. "Can I help you gentlemen?"

Though McGonagall's tone was a firm as ever, Fred and George immediately recognized the gratitude behind the words.

George pulled a potion out of his pocket and presented to the Deputy Headmistress. "Here's the headache potion you asked for, Professor."

McGonagall gratefully accepted the potion, but before she could say anything Umbridge was at her side ushering the twins into her office.

"Have a seat, boys." Umbridge said and a falsely sweet voice. "Tell me how your apprenticeship under Professor Snape is coming along."

Fred and George shared a brief look before Fred answered with a smile in a falsely polite voice. "What do you mean, Professor?"

Umbridge stumbled over the correct words for a moment, obviously not knowing anything about a potions apprenticeship. "I trust Professor Snape has explained the exceedingly difficult ministry administered exam you will have to take to earn your mastery."

The twins smirked, before George answered. "Oh, yes, Professor, he even had us take last years test..."

"... to see how we'd do if we took it now, of course," finished Fred.

"I see, and I suppose he..." Umbridge continued, but was interrupted by McGonagall.

"And just how did you do gentlemen?" McGonagall asked calmly ignoring the look Umbridge threw at her. Severus had already informed her as to just how well his apprentices did, but she desperately wanted to see the look on Umbridge's face when she found out.

The twins matching smiles grew and George replied with a shrug. "Oh, well...we didn't do that well..."

"Yeah," agreed Fred, "We only got enough points to be declared masters by the Ministry."

McGonagall heard but ignored Umbridge's sputtering, as did the twins.

"Professor Snape says we still have a long way to go though." George spoke directly to McGonagall.

"He's barely even begun teaching us muggle chemistry." Fred added seriously.

The other three occupants of the room ignored her as Umbridge choked on air.

.................

Severus stormed out of Umbridge's office, the blood quill held firmly in his clenched fist. He would take the castle apart stone by stone if he had to, but he was determined to find the Umbitch and rip her apart limb by limb. The unforgivables would seem like a picnic when he was done with her.

The few students wondering the corridors scattered as they saw him coming, despite the fact he was missing his customary billowing robe. After checking the Great Hall the potions master drew his wand and cast a locating spell, not even bothering to wonder why he hadn't thought of that sooner. Spinning around he marched in the direction his wand was pointing startling a group of second years.

..................

A few minutes after his brother had stormed out, Harry overcame his shock enough to realize that if he didn't do something, his brother was going to be hauled off to Azkaban for murder. Without even consciously deciding to do it, Harry through a handful of floo powder into the fireplace and step through the grate and into the Gryffindor common room.

Lucky, Ron and Hermione were the only ones in the common room at the time and they jumped up immediately, instantly at his side.

"Harry," began Hermione worriedly, "where have you been? I know you're upset because we said..."

"Hermione!" Harry practically shouted in order to get a word in around his friend's concerned triad. "I told Severus, but I think...I think he's going to do something drastic."

"What do you mean?" asked Ron. "Tell us exactly what happened, Harry."

"There isn't any time! We have to stop Severus, now!" Harry exclaimed willing his friends to just help him.

"Okay, mate," said Ron determinedly, not the least bit hesitant in following his friend. "Where do we start?"

"Harry," Hermione, ever the rational one, seemed a bit more reluctant. "I think we should get the Headmaster or your dad, first. How are we going to stop Professor Snape, by ourselves?"

Harry rolled his eyes, "Come on, Hermione, there's no time! Besides once we find him I won't have much problem calming him down."

Hermione bit her bottom lip nervously, before speaking in a somewhat shaky voice. "Alright, Umbridge had lunch in the Great Hall, I saw her talking to Professor McGonagall. If we start there we can ask some of the portraits which direction she went."

 

The three friends didn't even bother exchanging glances before taking off at a dead run for the Great Hall.

..................

Tobias walked along side the Headmaster as they made their way to the hospital wing.

Another student had been attacked.

Albus had floo'ed into his rooms to deliver the message and as soon as the old man's head was out of the way, Tobias had stepped through into the Headmaster's office. The two had then set out for the Hospital Wing.

It had been a third year Hufflepuff girl this time. She had been attacked last night, but not found until this morning, by her head of house. Sprout was waiting for them in the Hospital Ward.

Tobias was quite surprised when, as he and the headmaster rounded the corner, they crashed into his out-of-breath son and his friends.

................

Minerva jumped and had her wand aimed at Severus's chest when the door to her office banged open. Luckily she had realized who it was before she fully formed the curse that was on the tip of her tongue. She was about to reprimand him for his behavior when he marched past the twins and directly up to the Toad Woman, his wand trained at her head.

"Give me one reason," Severus ground out between clenched teeth as he stood menacingly close to the foul being in front of him. "One reason, why I shouldn't kill you right now."

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry for the long wait everyone. Life got a bit hectic and before I knew it two weeks and had come and gone.

Thanks to all my reviewers.

Many thanks to breanatalla, without whom this story would be horrid.

So, did you enjoy the cliff hanger?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1407