Slytherin's Secret Lair by Alexis8907
Summary: Alec & friends are in for another rough year when strange things began happening. Messages get left on walls, strange voices are heard and this years defense teacher is a joke. Most importantly, who is the Heir of Slytherin?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Other
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Adventures of Alec Snape
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 37003 Read: 59261 Published: 08 Sep 2007 Updated: 29 Feb 2008
Animagus Talk by Alexis8907

“Do we have to leave already?” Alec whined as he packed his belongings.

“Yes. I have research to do and you have a party to get to this weekend.”

“What are you researching?” The young boy asked curiously.

“I am working on improving the Wolfsbane potion and your godmutt’s friend offered to be my test subject.” Alec scowled at Severus’ nickname for his godfather.

“When is the next full moon, by the way?”

Severus lifted his hands and massaged his temples, “Saturday. Are you finished with the inquisition?”

Alec rolled his eyes, “Yes. I was just wondering that’s all.” Alec closed his trunk’s lid and Severus shrunk it before handing it back to the boy. He stuffed it in his pocket and reached out to grab onto the portkey. After the uncomfortable sensation was over, they found themselves in the sitting room of Snape Manor.

Severus immediately set off in the direction of the potions lab; obviously he has been away from it too long. Alec headed off to his room and found Hedwig perched on the windowsill.

“Hey girl. I’m sorry you couldn’t come with us. Would you like a treat?” Alec asked as he stroked her feathers. A positive hoot was heard and Alec handed over the treat. “Do you want to deliver some letters for me?” Hedwig hooted. Alec pulled out some parchment and began writing to his friends. After he finished, he fed his owl another treat before sending her off.


The next few days went by quickly. Severus spent a lot of time in his lab trying to make changes to the Wolfsbane before the full moon. Alec spent most of his time completing homework assignments and writing back and forth with his friends. Hedwig was busy but since she didn’t do much for the last two weeks, she was up for the job. The young Ravenclaw managed to complete all assignments and was now reading several textbooks with second year material.

Alec left his room to eat lunch and was surprised to see his father sitting at the table. Usually, Severus had been too engrossed in his studies to remember to eat and Alec was left eating alone.

The young boy greeted his father with a large smile. “Have you finished with your modified Wolfsbane potion?”

“Yes. I apologize for being occupied with my studies for the last two days,” replied the potions master.

“It’s okay. I managed to finish my homework yesterday and now I have started to read next years material.” Binky brought out lunch and both wizards filled their plates.

“I presume you are using my old textbooks? We have not yet gone to Diagon Alley for the upcoming school year. Would you like to set a date and have your friends meet us there?” Severus proposed.

“I’ll mention it to them this weekend,” Alec replied.

“There were two other things I wanted to ask you about.” Severus motioned for him to continue. “I wanted to know if I could tell them about me.”

“As in your old name?” Alec nodded. “I am not sure if that is wise. It would not be good if this bit of information got out. As it is, this year Harry Potter is supposed to come to Hogwarts.”

“What is the Headmaster going to tell the people when he does not show up at school?”

Severus shrugged his shoulders lightly. “I am not sure. I will discuss this with Albus next time I see him.”

“If they learned Occlumency, could I tell them?” Alec questioned.

“I suppose that is agreeable. You may lend them your book on the subject and instruct them when they have difficulty. If you need assistance, alert me and I shall help them myself.” Severus informed his young son, who nodded in agreement. “What was the other matter you wished to discuss?”

Alec looked up sheepishly. “Well… I was reading through that book that Remus gave me for Christmas and I was hoping you would let me become an animagus?” The Ravenclaw asked hopefully.

Severus scowled faintly. “I am not sure if you should attempt anything like that at this age.”

“Sirius said that they began studying early and mastered it by their fifth year. We wouldn’t be doing much more than theory for now…” Alec trailed off.

The potions master raised an eyebrow, “We?”

“Um… Well I was thinking that Lisa and Josh would study the transformation with me.”

“If, and I mean if, I allow this, I would like to speak with both of their parents to be assured that they do not have a problem with this. If their parents do not wish for their child to become an animagus, then you all will have to wait until you are of legal age to learn together.” Severus said.

“We’d all have to wait?” Alec asked.

“Yes. That will be part of the deal. It would also be rude to leave one or both of your friends out because their parents said no while I said yes.”

“Okay. Will you talk with them on Saturday?” Alec inquired.

Severus nodded, “Yes. If they agree, I will inform you so that you may share the news.”

“Yes! Thank you so much! I wonder what form I’d be,” Alec wondered.

“One of the first things you do when studying the transformation is to make a potion. This will reveal your form and luckily for you and your friends, it is fairly easy to brew. It is probably considered a third year level potion but you three should manage especially with my assistance.” Severus explained.

“I read something briefly in the book about a potion. It does not have the instructions printed in there. Will you be able to lend us a book that does?” Severus nodded.

"Since I have completed my research, would you like to accompany me to Diagon Alley?" Severus questioned.

Alec nodded eagerly. "Sure. I need to find gifts for Lisa and Josh anyways. What did you need to go there for?"

"Potions ingredients." His father replied.

Alec rolled his eyes slightly. "Of course."

Severus smirked. "What else could I possibly want?"

Alec stared back with a mischievous look, "You could be going to Knockturn Alley to get a new supply of blood. After all, rumors say you are a vampire..."

The potions master snorted. "Actually, I will be saving the blood trip for another day. I have plenty stashed for now." Severus replied in a completely serious tone.

Alec stared at him before they both broke into laughter.


"Perhaps Ms. Bellini would like this?" Severus held up a silver bracelet. It had a thin flat silver plate on the top where something decorative could be added. Connecting on the sides of the plate were fancy small chains that had a tiny clasp to keep this jewelry on the wrist.

"I think she'd like that. Can we add her birthstone to that part?" Alec indicated to the thin silver plate.

"I will ask the storekeeper," Severus replied and went off to talk to the man. Alec was browsing the store when his father came back. The silver bracelet now contained a ruby red stone in the middle along with Lisa's name inscribed on the underside.

"It's perfect!" The Ravenclaw exclaimed. "Now all I need to do is buy something for Josh. That will be easy though because he loves Quidditch and candy." They purchased the bracelet and left.

For Josh, Alec decided to pick up a gift certificate for Quality Quidditch Supplies and chose some of his favorite candy to wrap up.

"Now what?" the young boy asked.

"I purchased the necessary potions ingredients for your animagus potion," Severus replied.

"You bought the ingredients for us? Enough for all of our potions?"

Severus nodded. "There is one item that I still need to purchase. Unfortunately, we need to venture into Knockturn Alley."

"I thought you had enough blood for a while," Alec remarked cheekily.

"Brat," Severus responded affectionately. "I need to purchase enough Thestral scales for the three of you."

"Thestral? What is that?" The Ravenclaw wanted to know.

"It is the creature that pulls the carriages to and from the train station."

"I thought it was magic that did that." Alec replied, somewhat confused. "Why can't I see them?"

"You have to have seen death in order to view them," Severus replied quietly.

"Oh."

"Come with me and stay extremely close. Do not wander away or you will be prohibited from joining your friends this weekend." Alec nodded.

Severus led Alec into the dungy alley where many people went about their business. The people were a bit creepy looking and the young Ravenclaw made sure to keep as close to his father as possible. They soon came across a potions store and entered the dark shop.

"Severus, I haven't seen you here for quite some time." The shopkeeper greeted.

"Good afternoon Mr. Denero." Severus held out his hand to greet the man. "This is my son Alec." Alec shook the man’s hand as well.

"What is it that you will need today?" Mr. Denero questioned.

"Thestral scales." Severus replied.

"Ah. Animagus potion perhaps?" He inquired. Alec's head left the ingredients he was inspecting and turned sharply towards the man.

"How did you know?" The Ravenclaw demanded.

The shopkeeper smiled, "These scales are not used in many potions and I highly doubt your father would be brewing any of those other ones at the moment."

Alec turned away and resumed looking at bottled ingredients. Many of these bottles contained disgusting substances that Alec had never seen before. He made sure not to touch anything and stayed close to his father to not incur the man's wrath for wandering away. After Severus purchased the ingredients, they left the store and walked back towards the exit of the grubby alley. Alec was walking one step behind his father when someone grabbed his arm and he was jerked to a halt.

An old shaggy man looked down at him. "Wascha doin' outta 'ere by yerself?" He slurred drunkenly, not realizing the boy had been walking with his father. Alec jerked his arm away from the man and pulled out his wand to use if necessary. He didn't have though because Severus stepped in.

"Do not ever touch my son again," Severus said threateningly before pulling back his arm and punching the man with all his might. His fist hit the man right in the nose and a satisfying crunch was heard. Severus held Alec protectively close as they exited the alley quickly. Once they stepped out, Severus turned to his son.

"Did he hurt you or anything?" He asked concerned and briefly looked over his son.

"I'm fine. He just startled me." Alec replied.

"Let's floo home." The boy nodded.


"Are you sure you packed everything?" Severus asked as Alec prepared for the sleepover.

"Yes. I'm sure I have everything and if I forget something, I can live without it for one night." He replied. "How are we getting there?"

"Portkey."

Alec made a face at the unfavorable method of travel. "The Ministry gave us a portkey for this?"

"No," Severus replied.

"I thought the Ministry regulated portkeys."

"They do. I merely have the knowledge on how to make my own." The potion master smirked.

"Isn't that illegal?" Alec asked suspiciously. "Never mind. I don't want to know. As far as I am concerned, I have no knowledge on this portkey’s creation. Let's just leave." Both Wizards grabbed onto the portkey and were swept away.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1410