Harry and the Changed Time Line (1) by teddylonglong
Summary: After the demise of Voldemort, Harry accidentally time travels to the Marauders' time, spends some time there, spends a lot of time in the hospital wing, and changes the time line to finally find his own family. Completely AU.
Beta-ed by Breannatala, Re-post of the Original story (revised version)
Categories: Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hagrid, James, Lily, McGonagall, Other, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Resorting, Time Travel
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: The Changed Time Line
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 113910 Read: 140594 Published: 04 Oct 2007 Updated: 04 Oct 2007
Dumbledore's Office by teddylonglong

However, the instant he was going to flash away, he heard a sound from Pomfrey’s office and immediately transformed back into his human form. Now he couldn’t leave to attend the Order meeting, much to his chagrin, so he just closed his eyes and slept through until breakfast the next morning.

During Quidditch practise in the evening he used the two hours he had to spend in the dormitory with Remus in order to teach Remus the Patronus charm, and by the time McGonagall came to get Harry for their talk with Dumbledore, he was able to do his wolf Patronus. Needless to say McGonagall was not very pleased to be greeted by two Patroni, a wolf and a phoenix, when she entered the room.

The Gargoyle in front of the Headmaster’s office was back to sweets and opened on ‘Gummibears’.

“Hello my dear boy, how are you on this fine evening?”

“Fine, Professor, how was your Order meeting?”

“Ah, I think it was a full success, don’t you think so Minerva?”

“Yes, Albus, I think so, but maybe we should just show your memories in the Pensieve, before talking about details?”

“That we shall do my dear.”z88;The Pensieve was already waiting on the table, and Harry reluctantly entered after the two professors. He found himself in a circle of about twenty persons, again in the office he had just left. Most of the people seemed well known to him, only they were much younger than he remembered them or – as in the case of the Potters – were parents of people he associated with the Order. ‘Awe, these are my grandparents. Maybe I will get a chance to know them’ he thought smilingly. The Weasleys were accompanied by two infants. ‘How cute Bill and Charlie are. I have to tell them when I’m back’. It was great fun to watch the people he knew so well in the future interacting here in this time.

Harry also had much to laugh about Fawkes’ antics. While each member of the new Order of the Phoenix was sworn on the Order, Fawkes sat on the shoulder of the new member and trilled a phoenix song, which sounded not only beautiful but also very calming to Harry’s ears. Each of the members received a necklace with a phoenix pendant, which was supposed to warm up to alert the owner, whenever Dumbledore needed the Order to convene immediately. He only had to grip his own pendant and whisper ‘phoenix emergency’. Harry thought it was actually a good idea. Dumbledore very carefully explained about Harry and his connection to Voldemort without revealing the fact that he came from the future. The members were very pleased to hear that they had been able to save so many lives at Diagon Alley the other day, just because of a vision of a student who seemed to be clearly on their own side. After about an hour, they were back to reality.

“Now, what do you think Harry?” Dumbledore asked eagerly.

Harry thought for a moment. He couldn’t tell the professors that he was mainly in awe over how cute and young the people he knew so well were. “I cannot tell you much about the issues discussed at Order meetings, because I just haven’t attended one. I know that you had been thinking about letting me into the Order, but you couldn’t because of the protests of Professor McGonagall and Molly Weasley, who were always very protective of me and seemed to think I should rather try to lead a normal students’ life.”

“All right Harry, if you think about anything else, you can tell us later. Now, curfew has already passed…”

-----

“Sorry, Professor,” Harry interrupted him. “There is something I would like to discuss with the two of you. It has nothing to do with Voldemort or the Order, but I have a personal problem.”

McGonagall looked enquiringly at Harry. “Of course Harry, what is wrong?”

“Um…” He explained the story of the pink rabbits and his getting sick with panic every time he had to transfigure something in their class and told them about Remus’ possible explanation, which sounded very reasonable. He also told them about his unwanted manifestation of wandless magic. When he finished, Harry sighed and sat back in his seat, watching his shoes.

Professor McGonagall spoke up at first. “I think Mr. Lupin is right. You have to get your magical power under control. If you don’t mind, I will teach you two or three times a week. Come to my office after classes tomorrow afternoon, and we will compare our time tables to make a suitable plan.”

Harry looked very relieved. “Thank you very much Professor!”

Dumbledore laughed. “Now, we can’t have you miss all Transfiguration classes because you are afraid of transfiguring rabbits, can we? I will teach you myself about the wandless magic. Wandless magic is a very rare gift, and I am the only one at this school who is capable of it to a certain extent. We shall meet here every Saturday and Sunday evening after dinner. Does this match your plan?”

“Yes it does, Professor. Thank you very much!”

Dumbledore looked very pensive. “I would like to ask you one question Harry. When you conjured your Patronus at Hogsmeade, it took the form of a phoenix. Do you know why it took the form of a phoenix? As you probably know every wizard has a different form of Patronus, mostly it is an animal with some connection to the wizard.”

Harry sighed and shook his head. He didn’t yet want to reveal his secret. “No Professor.”

-----

Dumbledore looked questioningly at Minerva, who nodded smilingly. Then he started to speak again. “All right. Now Harry, we would like to tell you something, but we do not want it to be revealed to anyone in this time – maybe in the future it will be okay, but that we can decide when we meet again in the future. Would you be willing to swear a wizard’s oath to us that you refrain from telling our secret to anyone in this time?” Harry glanced astonished at the two teachers.

“Yes of course Professor.” He took his wand out and said, “I herewith swear a wizard’s oath to not reveal your secret to anyone by any means until at least one of you tells me it’s all right to reveal it.” He put his wand away and asked,

“Will this be okay Professors?” They laughed.

“Harry, you will understand why it is so important not to tell anybody, when I tell you that your mother doesn’t know about it although it concerns her as much as it concerns you.”

Harry raised an eyebrow. ‘What could that be?’ he thought.

Dumbledore continued, “Harry, the power of wandless magic as well as a certain affinity to phoenixes are a speciality of the family of Merlin. Merlin had a phoenix familiar,” he looked over to where Fawkes was sitting and Harry interrupted him.

“That was Fawkes, wasn’t it?”

“Yes Harry, exactly. And Merlin was also the only known animagus who was able to transform into a phoenix before myself, although I’m a fire phoenix and Merlin was an ice phoenix. Now, the Dumbledore’s are descendants of Merlin, which explains why I possess some of the qualities Merlin is famous for. But it is not only me who is a direct relative to Merlin; you are one as well my dear boy.”

Harry nearly fell from his chair. “But how…” he stammered. Both professors smiled at him.

“From your reaction I would like to believe that I have never told you about the relationship between us, is that correct?”

“But Professor, I don’t understand. You have always told me my mom’s sister Petunia was my only living relative, that’s why I had to live with her even if it was living hell for me. Are you related to me as well?” He was getting a little upset.

“Stay calm Harry, Albus had his reasons for that, although I have probably never liked it,” Minerva said calmingly.

Harry’s face showed a questioning expression.

“Harry, when was it that you vanquished Voldemort?”

“Um… just a week before I came here.”

“And this week you spent in the Hospital Wing, didn’t you?”

“Yes” Harry answered solemnly. “I came here on my first day of classes after that.”

“So you see. We didn’t have any chance to speak to you really privately after Voldemort was gone. That was the reason we have never told you anything about our relationship. Do you know about the relationship between Minerva and me?”

“No Professor, not really. I have always imagined you behave like a couple, married for a long time.” Harry blushed.

“Correct Harry. Minerva is my wife. However, hardly anybody knows about it and we would like it to stay like this at least until Voldemort is gone forever. But about our relationship to you… the mother of Lily and Petunia is our child!”

Harry jumped from his seat. “WHAT! But I thought Lily was muggleborn.”

“No Harry, she is a Dumbledore as are you, but our daughter is a squib. And she hates everything that has to do with magic. She grew up here with us of course until she was 11, then she went to a Muggle boarding school, and when she became 18 she cut off all contact to us, so that Lily and Petunia don’t even know that we are their grandparents.”

Harry was stunned. “So you are my Great Grandparents. Cool. Is that really true?” He looked at the Professors questioningly.

“Of course Harry, do you think Albus would make jokes like this?” Minerva asked back smiling.

“No, of course not…Ahem… Uh… Granny. Cool. I still cannot believe it however. It will probably take some time to get used to it. Anyway thank you very much for telling me!”

“The main reason for us telling you this now is the fact that you are stuck here for we don’t know how long and you have no other living relative here who can know and nobody else to care for you. That is why we wanted you to know your relationship to us. Another reason is the manifestation of your power. Lily has so far not shown any special power; her magic is not weak but it is more or less normal; in contrast to this, your magic is VERY powerful, you also have special powers, which are the real Merlin powers. At some time in the future, when Voldemort and I have gone, you will probably be the most powerful wizard in the world; therefore it is very important that you learn to control your powers.”

McGonagall interrupted him. “Sorry Albus, but it is already after midnight, and Harry has to go to bed.”

-----

“No, wait please Professors. After you have told me so much, I think I have to confess something.”

His Great Grandparents glanced curiously at Harry.

“Please don’t tell anyone. And please be angry at anyone, okay?”

The teachers very reluctantly agreed.

“You see, because Remus is a werewolf, Sirius, James and Peter learned to become Animagi in order to spend the nights of the full moon together with Remus. James is a stag, Sirius a black dog and Peter a rat. Anyway, I have asked James and Sirius to teach me, and they helped me to become an animagus as well. At the same time I am teaching Lily and Severus to do the same.”

McGonagall glared at Harry very angrily. “Do you know how dangerous that is? You could have died trying!”

“But nothing happened. And I always tried only in the dormitory every evening, when James, Sirius and Remus were with me; only the last time I only practised with Remus. If something happened, one of us would have fetched you immediately. And Lily and Severus only practise together with me, so that I can get help if needed.”

McGonagall was not convinced yet. “And can you show us your form then? Have you already managed completely? In such a short time?” she asked unbelievingly.

“Yes, sorry. And… um… I’manicephoenix.”

“Sorry Harry? Come again” Dumbledore inquired.

“My form is an ice phoenix” said Harry and changed into Icicle.

Fawkes greeted him happily, #hi Icicle.#

#Hello fireflight.#

#I’ve missed you at the Order meeting, why didn’t you come?#

#Sorry, I was stuck in the Hospital Wing, I couldn’t. But I will surely come the next time.#

“So you are already friends with Fawkes,” Dumbledore chuckled. Harry quickly changed back to his human form.

“Yes, I visited him very early on Saturday morning and introduced myself.”

Dumbledore smiled fondly at him. “Well done Harry, I’m very proud of you.”

“I’m too stunned but also impressed to say much about this, but you can believe me, that we will have a word about this tomorrow,” promised his Great Grandmother strictly. “Anyway, I will take you back to your dormitory now. And do not dare to sleep through breakfast!” Harry chuckled and thought, ‘Ah but that will be exactly what I’m going to do’.

-----

The next two weeks flew by for Harry with classes, homework, Potions tutoring, Quidditch practise, lessons with Professor McGonagall and wandless magic lessons with his Great Grandfather. Even if he was so busy, Harry was completely happy. The night of the full moon he spent outside with the Marauders as Icicle – it was great fun; Sirius even let him ride on his back once.

However, two nights later he just couldn’t sleep. So far, he had really tried not to change the future. But he spent all the time either being together with Lily and Severus, who had become his best friends, or one of them or with the Marauders. But Lily never spent time with the Marauders. How was she going to get together with James? Harry had even tried to invite her when he was together with them, but Lily had always declined. Had he managed to change the future so much that he, after all, would not even exist in the future? He worried and worried and got himself into a real panic attack. He nearly could not breathe. What was he going to do? He could speak to Severus or even to his Great Grandparents, but what could they do? In the meanwhile, it was 2 o’clock in the morning, and he decided to talk to Fawkes. He would still be awake, and maybe he would understand him and knew how to help him.

He changed into Icicle quickly, flashed over to Dumbledore’s Office and nearly fell from the perch. The Headmaster was still in his office, having tea with his wife.

#Hello Icicle# Fawkes trilled happily.

#Hello Fireflight, hello Headmaster, sorry to intrude at this time of the night,# Harry/Icicle replied.

“Harry, that is no problem. Have you come to talk to Fawkes or to me?” Dumbledore asked sternly but with this usual twinkle in the eyes.

#In fact I came to talk to Fawkes, but I would also appreciate talking to you. While I was in bed I was having a panic attack worrying about having changed the future without wanting to.#

“Then change back, and Minerva and I will see if we can help you.”

Harry flew down to the floor and quickly changed back into his human form.

“I’m really sorry Professors.”

“What’s wrong Harry?” McGonagall asked worriedly.

“I couldn’t sleep and began thinking about if I was already changing the future by being here. You know, I always spend time with Lily and Severus, and I think they have already come very close to one another. I think Lily fancies Severus, and they are really good for each other, but, you see, Lily has to get together with James, otherwise I will not be born at all.” He began to panic again; his breath was becoming heavy and he nearly couldn’t breathe at all.

“Here Harry, drink this.” Dumbledore handed him a phial with a light pink Potion. “It is a calming Potion.”

Harry drank the Potion and could breathe again. His Great Grandfather calmingly put a hand on his shoulder.

“Harry, I can understand very well what you are worrying about. And frankly speaking, Minerva and I have already worried about the same matter. That’s why I have contacted a seer I know very well, Mrs. Trelawney – I don’t know if you knew her in the future, anyway, she is very good, and I have spoken to her.”

Harry groaned and his Great Grandparents gave him an astonished view. “Sorry. Her daughter, granddaughter or whatever is teaching at Hogwarts at my time, but she is a flop and cannot really see a lot. And she has been predicting my death every lesson. You,” he looked at McGonagall, “have even warned me about her before my first lesson with her.”

“All right Harry, but this time’s Trelawney is very famous and is said to be really good. Anyway, I spoke to her about you and asked her about the future. And she told me, you would change the future VERY much, but you would survive and after some difficulties while adapting in the future, with which we would be able to help you, you will ultimately be very happy.”

McGonagall smiled fondly at Harry “You see, you have nothing to worry about. I really don’t believe in predictions…”

Harry chuckled, thinking about his Head of House had behaved in the future when it came to Divination.

“…but Trelawney’s predictions are said to be true” she continued.

“Okay Grandmother, Grandfather, thank you very much and once again sorry for disturbing you in the middle of the night. Good night.”

“You’re always welcome Harry, and DO NOT miss breakfast tomorrow, otherwise you will be grounded for the Quidditch game.”

“Don’t tell me you want Gryffindor to lose against Slytherin, because I wouldn’t believe you, and as you know, my punishment for missing breakfast has already be defined in advance some weeks ago,” Harry laughed, changed back into Icicle and apologized to Fawkes for not talking to him, and in a flash of ice he was gone.

“Very impressive” was McGonagall’s comment.

-----

The next day went by in a blur, and soon it was time for the big Quidditch game Gryffindor against Slytherin. Harry was looking forward to it very much, although he didn’t like the fact that he had to play against his best friend Severus. Fortunately, it was a bright, sunny day and considering that it was the last Saturday in November, it was still quite warm – the ideal conditions for a Quidditch game.

Harry managed a few times to bluff with his Wronski bluff, so that the Slytherin Seeker, who was following him most of the time, nearly crashed into the ground. The Slytherin beaters were playing very hard, and Harry often had to escape because they were aiming at him with their Bludgers. After twenty minutes, he spotted the snitch for the first time but had to evade a Bludger again, and after that it had vanished from sight. Now, after nearly two hours of playing he spotted it again near the goal on the Slytherin side. He dove to just a few meters over the ground, always with the Slytherin Seeker shortly behind him, then shot upwards and aimed for the small golden ball.

The moment he caught the snitch, a Blugder hit him straight in the head, so that he lost his balance and fell of his broom, one hand safely gripping the snitch. As Harry fell, there was a large gasp, and everyone looked at Harry in shock. James and Severus were the first to reach Harry; they were too late to stop him falling but were able to partly break his fall, ensuring he didn’t hit the ground with full force.

-----

The next thing Harry knew was pain. He blinked and looked around. ‘Oh no! In the Hospital Wing AGAIN!’ He groaned. Everything hurt.

“Oh look, he’s waking up” he could hear the excited voice of Sirius.

“Oi, Harry, good you’re still alive” James said solemnly.

The whole Gryffindor team seemed to be there. Harry turned to James and gave the snitch to him, which had still been gripped in his hand. James looked at it and couldn’t believe it.

“He caught it! Why has nobody seen that? They are continuing the match outside with our reserve team – but they don’t even have a Snitch anymore, that’s hilarious. I’ve to go to Madam Hooch immediately!” He showed the snitch to the others and ran away.

Harry’s eyes fell to Lily. She asked, “Are you in a lot of pain?”

“Yes, my head hurts very much,” he mumbled and closed his eyes.

“No, Harry, stay awake please, until Madam Pomfrey can check on you. Don’t go to sleep,” he could hear Severus’ voice, but he was so tired.

Pomfrey came and shooed everyone except from Lily and Severus out of the Hospital Wing. “Mr. Pane, you have a concussion and a few broken ribs this time. You’ll have to stay here for a few days, and I don’t want to hear any complaints about it. It’s not my fault; I didn’t want to see you here in the first place.” She gave Harry a few Potions, and Harry fell asleep again.

Lily and Severus spent the whole weekend with Harry, and his Great Grandparents also came to visit him, late in the night when no one would notice.

Pomfrey used the opportunity to speak with the Headmaster and his wife. “Professors, I’ve noticed something about Harry. His body shows many traces of old bruises and welts, even a few scars on his back. I’m afraid he must have been abused before in the past, and he was obviously malnourished. I’ve also found out that his immune system shows a certain amount of damage, probably resulting from neglecting to treat illnesses in the past. This last one is also the reason for him spending so much time here, because his body is subjected to more injuries than normal and not able to heal as fast as it should be.”

Both teachers’ faces had taken on an appalled look. Dumbledore was the first to find words. “What can I have thought to place him with the Dursleys? Why didn’t we raise him ourselves?”

“That’s a question only Harry can answer. We have to speak to him about this, but we should wait until he is out of the Hospital Wing. Relax Albus, Harry is not in immediate danger,” his wife said calmingly.

-----

Two days later, it was on the 1st of December, when Harry woke up with Severus sitting in the chair next to his bed reading a parchment. Harry reached for his glasses and put them on, only to see that Severus was in fact reading a letter and that he was crying silently. Harry was shocked.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1423