Why do we Live? by Solitare
Summary: Harry has been depressed for weeks until one day during a potion's exam he finds out that Snape has taken matters into his own hands...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 19398 Read: 57159 Published: 09 Oct 2007 Updated: 16 Jan 2009
Understanding the Problem by Solitare
Author's Notes:
Well as my beta has up and vanished I tried to get it the best I could. It's short but hopefully you will enjoy it.

"Sit down Potter." Snape said coldly and waited as the pale Gryffindor chose a seat as far away from his desk as he could get. Snape resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the boy but moved over sitting down on a stool in front of Harry and stared deeply into the frightened emerald eyes.

"Professor..." Harry began only to get a glare, so instead he sat looking at the black eyes of his Potion's teacher as he twisted his hands picking at his skin as he fought a cluster of nerves.

"You Potter are not well." Snape made the statement and was pleased to see a bit of the old temper Harry once possessed flare up in his eyes.

"So you've said Professor." The teen spat in anger. Snape smirked at him and raised a hand tracing the scar that had marked the boy a savior before he could even speak.

"And I would know what I am talking about." He said, Harry pushed away Snape's hand.

"Stop that, it's..." Harry trailed off as he saw humor float into Snape's eyes.

"It's what Potter?" Snape asked standing and going over to his cabinet.

"Weird! And Annoying too!" He snapped. Snape turned and looked at him.

"You've been playing with it Potter, I have some salve I want you to put on it so that you don't go and give yourself an infection, perhaps I should get you some muggle stress balls you look like you could use some." He commented and threw the jar at Harry. Harry had a split second to react and he quickly caught it with hands though he almost dropped it.

"You could've hit me in the face if I didn't catch this!" he accused. Snape nodded.

"I know that Potter, but I needed to test how far you have let yourself go. Thankfully though you've managed to keep most of your reflexes." He answered his back to Harry as he jotted something down in what appeared to be a journal. "And put some of that salve on your scar Potter as well as the cuts you got on your hands. I would also like to add if you do not then I will come over there and do so for you." He threatened and smirked as he heard the sound of the jar opening. He waited a few minutes before glancing over, Potter for once had done as he had been told. Closing the book he walked back over to Harry sitting again he waited till the boy had capped the jar setting it in his lap.

"We need to discuss what the arrangements will be for this summer, as we both know there will be several times I will be called away unexpectedly. So I've contacted one of Dumbledore's nephews and he has agreed to attend to you during such times, as well as help you overcome some of what you've been put through." Snape said and Harry's eyes widened.

"What? What do you mean by that." He snapped. Snape quickly hid the grin that wanted to come onto his face.

"Potter you to put it bluntly have issues, more than I myself can take care of. While I know normally I am quite capable of taking care of a young man of your age, I find in your particular case that it is with your best interests to enlist the help of a professional. I believe the muggle term is shrink." He said and leaned back extremely pleased when Harry exploded.

"I do not need a shrink! For Merlin's sake! I.Am.Fine!" he shouted on top of his lungs. He would've stormed from the room had Snape not reached out grabbing his arm forcing him to sit once more.

"Calm down Potter, really you're acting like a child. You have problems and have been through many ordeals that you refuse to face. There for it is high time someone take action, and as no one else seems to be willing to do so I have. You will be remaining in my care for the duration of the summer, and while I work on some of the details until you are of the legal age." He spoke smirking. Harry opened and closed his mouth before rubbing his temples.

"Please tell me this is just some sort of bad dream and that I am going to wake up soon." He said tiredly. Snape stood smiling down at the boy.

"Potter this is not a dream and I expect you to be fully packed by tomorrow afternoon, bring all your things here, we will be leaving the following morning, Healer Dumbledore will be meeting us at the manor." He said. Harry raised his eyes glaring at him.

"What manor?" he spat.

"Why Prince Manor Mr. Potter, I think it would be better if we didn't stay at Hogwarts during the summer so we can go to my home. It has some very interesting features...like the wards that prevent anyone from entering or leaving without my permission." He explained earning himself a groan from the teen.

"I.Hate.My.life." Harry moaned, Snape frowned shaking his head, seeing into the statement more than what he knew the boy had intended to show him.

"I know Potter and that is one of the things I intend to correct." He said pulling Harry to his feet. Harry groaned as he did so sending more glares to Snape.

"What is this nephew like?" Please not like Dumbles himself, Harry added silently. Snape smirked.

"A little like Dumbledore himself and somewhat like me I am afraid. I'm sure the two of you will get along quite well." He answered as he ushered the boy from his office.

"Professor..." Harry began turning as Snape mentioned him that he was free. Snape raised an eyebrow, the look in Harry's eyes spoke volumes and he read each carefully, which was why when he spoke he did so for once without any hint of malice nor sarcasm.

"Sometimes Potter even strong wizards break. Which is why those around them have to help them. Try leaning on someone for a change." He suggested and was surprised when Harry's eyes seemed to age.

"I did. Then he died." Harry responded softly then turned walking away his shoulders slumped. Snape watched him go with a sigh praying that he was indeed doing everything in his power to save Lily's child.

"Lily, how could they let him get this bad and do nothing?" he asked softly then turned heading to his quarters to pack, in truth he always spent his summers at Hogwarts and it would be the first time in years that he returned to the manor. He supposed it would be good for him as well to get a break from the walls of the castle. Though he would admit to himself he did love them...

Why does he bother? Why when no one else does? How does he know me so well when he's spent all these years hating me? Why is he still trying to save me after time after time I prove how worthless I really am...why does he act like he cares?

To be continued...
End Notes:
please review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1424