Why do we Live? by Solitare
Summary: Harry has been depressed for weeks until one day during a potion's exam he finds out that Snape has taken matters into his own hands...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 19398 Read: 57158 Published: 09 Oct 2007 Updated: 16 Jan 2009
Dreaming Reality by Solitare
Author's Notes:
Sorry that this is such a short chapter. Hopefully you all will actually enjoy it not to sure how this is going to go over.

He opened his eyes and stared at the blue sky. Odd....he had thought that Snape and Takashi said they were taking him home per orders of that man...Yuri...he frowned and sat up. His body felt light and free...not as it had been since...well since he could remember. He stood with ease and looked at the endless sea of tall grass. It was peaceful here he thought, then he saw her, her red hair was flowing in the wind and she was walking towards him, to small to be much older than eleven but she was grinning at him. Her eyes were odd, one was hazel while the other a vibrant green.

"Who are you?" he asked and jumped as his voice echoed. She laughed it sounded like bells ringing, finally she stood before him beaming.

"You made it." she said as if she had been waiting. He blinked.

"But..." he looked around confused. She laughed again and he turned and watched her as she went up on her tippy toes.

"Trust me it's better that you're here than there right now. You wouldn't be happy." She said shaking her head. He was confused again.

"Huh?"

"Harry....this isn't real...well okay two things are...you and me." She explained touching his arm.

"Not real...then where..." he froze. "In my head..." he said groaning.

"Yup! I knew you'd figure it out." She said pleasantly.

"But then....why are YOU here." He pointed out. She circled him tapping her lips with a finger.

"That, Mr. Potter is a very good question...I guess the simplest explanation is we are on the same waves right now." She said stopping to shrug.

"Who are you?" he asked again. She laughed shaking her head.

"Is my name so important to you? Don't you want to know why it's better that you're here than awake?" she teased.

"Please." Harry begged.

"Kaslin is the name you can call me I'm afraid you might freak a bit if I told you my real name." She said softly. Harry sighed and sat back down looking glum.

"Please don't look like that Harry." Kaslin was instantly at his side touching his arm her eyes seemed to plead him to understand. Harry sighed.

"No one wants to tell me anything." He mumbled. Kaslin bit her lip and slid so she could lay her head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry...I promise to tell you the truth someday okay?" She said and reached over beginning to run her hand through his hair in a soothing manner, he let out another sigh but relaxed.

"Sorry it's just....Dumbeldore...and..." Harry said and was surprised when Kaslin raised her head and touched his lips with a finger.

"Say no more I understand. My name is really Kaslin, I just have a few other's okay?" she said and Harry gave her a weak smile.

"This is...really weird." He finally admitted. Kaslin let out another of her bell laughs.

"You have no idea."

"So why am I better off here than awake?" he asked.

"Because Dr. Yuri happens to be inserting an IV and giving a few other...unpleasant instructions to the two men your with." She said wincing.

"How do you know that?" Harry said his eyes narrowed.

"Hmm...best as I can say I am what stands between you and waking up to a nightmare. I don't think you want to hear his orders regarding bathrooms." She winced as Harry paled.

"Oh please Merlin don't let it be what I think it is." He begged her. She quickly pulled him into a hug. Despite being smaller, she did give him some comfort.

"You can stay here as long as you like." She whispered. Harry nodded, he was safe he didn't ever have to wake up...didn't have to see the disgust in Snape's face or the worry in Takashi's eyes. No one else had to die because of him.

"No one has died because of you. It was their time, you need to stop thinking everything is your fault. Share some blame!" she snapped angry at him. Harry stared at her.

"Excuse me?"

"People have died because of me too...your not the only one who suffers. We just...deal with it differently." She said. Harry turned her so she had to stare into his eyes.

"How do you deal with it?" he asked so softly she could barely hear him.

"...I'm here Harry...I will always be here...." She sighed closing her eyes as if in pain.

"Kaslin I'm sorry...was it something I said?" Harry asked in a small voice, Kaslin let out a deep breath and then placed a smile on her face hugging him.

"No it's not your fault, just sometimes we have to live with the choices we make...even if we wish it was just all some awful dream." She said her eyes beginning to cloud the sadness in the slowly vanishing,

"Yes but..." Harry tried to argue Kaslin laughed again though this time the bells in her voice were softer...sadder.

"You want to believe there's a chance that it can be all changed?" she asked. He nodded, she tilted her head to the side looking suddenly thoughtful.

"You would have to live, and have to try and get better. You are very sick Harry and I am not talking about your body, but in your mind. You would have to accept help when it's offered...no matter WHO offers it." she said folding her arms. "Are you willing to pay that price just so you have the power to change things?" Harry silently stood up and began to walk through the meadow deep in thought. Did he really want to go back? To the world where he was so sure Death waited at every corner to take anyone he got close to. He paced and stopped slowly turning to Kaslin who was still sitting in the grass watching him, her eyes had no judgment for him, nor did she show any help in his choice, she was leaving the decision entirely up to him.

"Can your choice be changed if I did this?" He asked his face becoming hard.

"I..." Kaslin began but frowned at him. "This can not be about me, you have to want it for yourself." She countered not answering him. Harry growled.

"Why wont you answer!" he shouted at her. She stared at him startled.

"Harry...you don't understand...you don't want my choice to change. Please understand this is all for the best!" she pleaded. Harry stormed to her pulling her to her feet.

"Why.Won't.You.Answer.Me!" he hissed, she looked away a hurt expression on her face.

"I did it for everyone, it isn't good...my choice helped....a lot of good people...I'm not...in a good place right now Harry. This is the best....for everyone." She looked down then gave him a smile. "It really isn't that bad."

Harry stared at her confusion in his eyes yet again. "I don't understand."

"Harry, I am not a nice person. I never was...well part of me that is...this is the purest part of me and the only way I could stop myself was this choice. I can't control my other part...I am not strong enough." She said almost to soft for him to hear then she raised her eyes. "Dr. Yuri is gone...it's just Takashi right now and he is getting really worried, you should wake up now... You can always come back if you want to."

"Kaslin!" Harry protested she shook her head tears in her eyes.

"Harry, trust me! You really would hate me if you knew everything...and I know it's selfish but I really don't want to go back to that. Please understand that." She begged him. Harry frowned at her but nodded slowly.

"If I come back here you will still be here right?" he asked. She nodded, whipping her eyes.

"I'll always be here. My choice, remember?" she offered him a timid smile.

"We will talk about this." Harry promised darkly then gave her a sheepish smile "um how do I er...wake up?" he asked. Kaslin smiled at him.

"All you had to do was ask Harry." She said her voice echoed and the world around him began to melt and he found himself letting out a loud shuddering breath.

"Harry?" Takaishi's voice had him opening his eyes, he turned his head and opened his mouth but all that came out was a squeak. Takashi quickly stood and helped Harry drink a glass of water. "Is that better?" Harry nodded watching him carefully, then he nodded he was awake.

"What?" he croaked knowing Takashi would understand what he was asking of him.

"Well...Yuri was here, as you can already figure out he put the IV in as discussed, and suggest when you have to relive yourself we carry you to the bathroom and back out once your finished." He explained Harry relaxed nodding, he wasn't thrilled about the IV but he could deal with it.

"He's awake I see." Snape sniffed but he walked over to stare down at Harry looking thoughtful...he knows...Harry thought panicking. He knows I wasn't really here and that somehow I was somewhere else. Kaslin, he thought. He would figure out who she was, and he would save her no matter what, even if she was Voldermort!

To be continued...
End Notes:
hopefully you enjoyed this. For whoever can guess who the girl in Harry's dream is, I will write an event of your choice, you choose what it is.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1424