Why do we Live? by Solitare
Summary: Harry has been depressed for weeks until one day during a potion's exam he finds out that Snape has taken matters into his own hands...
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 19398 Read: 57158 Published: 09 Oct 2007 Updated: 16 Jan 2009
Mind Games by Solitare
Author's Notes:
Here we go, just so you all know Kreacher guessed who Kaslin is so her event will be in this chapter branching into the next! Please enjoy

Harry was sitting up and staring at the same page in the text book Snape had handed him, well not handed him, but rather shoved into his chest demanding that he study it when he was awake enough to do so. Harry sighed and set aside the book, he hadn't returned to the meadow yet, and he wasn't sure if he wanted to, Snape would give him these looks and whenever he did start to space out, to go there the potions master would say something to draw him back. It was as if Snape was desperately trying to fight to keep him sane.

 

Sane now that was a funny thought. Harry thought to himself as he ran a shaking hand threw his hair. He turned his eyes to stare at the IV, he hated it, the cord would always get in his way and it was rather embarrassing to have to be fed that way. But anytime he was given something solid he threw it back up. He groaned and flopped back on the bed closing his eyes.

 

"Bored Harry?" Takashi's voice asked from what Harry assumed from the door way.

 

"Merlin yes, I am so sick of being stuck in this bed!" he growled. Takashi laughed as he moved fully into the room and waited to speak until Harry opened his eyes and turned to look at him.

 

"Tough to not be able to run off and do as you please?" he asked. Harry groaned rolling his eyes, it was to be another one of the Healer's mind games again it seemed.

 

"Not in the manner your thinking." He stressed. Really he wasn't planning on harming himself...at least not until he could actually stand on his own.

 

"Care to explain then?" the older man asked as he pulled up a chair and braced his feet against the wall tilting the chair back to the point Harry was sure at some point the man would topple over. Harry rolled his eyes.

 

"I guess it's just that I am not used to having to stay in one place for to long." He answered though he silently added, one place that wasn't the cupboard. Takashi nodded and they sat in silence before he finally spoke up.

 

"How are you feeling?" he asked and Harry sighed closing his eyes again.

 

"Alright I guess, I still feel really weak but I'm not getting hot and cold anymore." He replied honestly, Takashi grinned pushing the chair down with an audible thunk.

 

"Well we still have a long way to go Harry, but I'm proud of you for telling me the truth." He said and stood taking the book out of Harry's hands and set it on the end table and held out a hand.

 

"Why don't you give me your glasses you should get some more sleep." He said Harry rolled his eyes again as he took off his glasses and handed them to him.

 

"All I seem to do is sleep." He whined as he laid down curling as best he could under the blankets.

 

"Well kiddo you are sick, and that's generally what people do when they are sick." Takashi's voice said as Harry drifted off to sleep...

 

He didn't know how much time had passed, but he could feel the warmth of the sun on is face and a soft wind blew across him leaving a hint of raspberry scent to it. Meadow was his immediate realization. He opened his eyes and sat up, looking around he saw that it was exactly as he remembered. Expect, he frowned turning in every direction.

 

"Kaslin?" He called out as he got to his feet, but he didn't see her. He shook his head then heard it the wind blowing what sounded like a wind chime he followed the sound down the meadow to a tall rod with the chimes  on the top near a small stream. But its bed lay Kaslin her face was now pale almost white and as he walked to her he saw a streak of black hair that curled into tight curls by her hair.

 

"Kaslin?" he asked unsure she shifted opening her eyes she blinked up at him.

 

"Harry?" She asked in a somewhat lost voice. Harry sat down beside her.

 

"Yeah?" he answered now that he knew, he had to try and break whatever choice it was that brought Kaslin into the dreamscape.

 

"I had the most awful dream, you hated me and couldn't forgive me for the things I've done." She said tears coming into her eyes Harry quickly shook his head.

 

"It was just a dream Kaslin, calm down, what happened to your hair?" he asked Kaslin blinked for a minute then sat up pulling the black hair in front of her eyes for a moment before she frowned.

 

"Oh...this...shouldn't you be resting Harry?" she asked changing the subject.

 

"Aren't I already doing that? And don't change the subject!" he protested. Kaslin shrugged.

 

"Harry resting means all of you is resting including your mind." She said tapping one of his temples Harry frowned at her.

 

"Your still not answering my question, what happened to your hair?" he pressed. Kaslin stood, staring off into the distance.

 

"Do you think that people can change even if they had led very awful lives. Do you think that they should get a second chance?" she asked suddenly. Harry stared at her.

 

"I don't honestly know I would say that they would have to forgive themselves first before anyone else could do the same." He answered and frowned, that came out like something Takashi would say.

 

"You're learning, a little bit at least." Kaslin said, when Harry turned towards her again her eyes were bright and energetic again.

 

"You know if you sleep you'll get better quicker." She pointed out Harry rolled his eyes.

 

"Alright, alright I get the point already." Harry said sighing but he stared down at her. Kaslin shook her head.

 

"I'm not going anywhere, now get going." She said and flicked his forehead, the world spun for a moment then went black...

 

 

.............................................................................................................

 

"Did he finally go under?" Severus asked as he sat beside Takashi.

 

"Entirely this time." He turned to stare at the man who sat beside him. "You could afford to be a little bit nicer to him you know." He pointed out. Severus snorted shaking his head.

 

"Wasn't it you who pointed out to him, that I shouldn't change how I act towards him that it would confuse him." Severus countered; Takashi sighed and frowned at him.

 

"You know what I meant when I said that, a little nicer isn't changing how you act." He said shaking his head at the man. Severus smirked.

 

"Well it isn't my problem really, Potter knows that I don't hate him, it doesn't need to be said otherwise." Severus said stiffly as he stared down at the teen.

 

"One of these days Severus something you say is going to set Harry off and he'll run. What do you plan on doing if that happens?" he questioned. Severus frowned at him.

 

"Potter wouldn't make it past the front door without me noticing." He stated, Takashi laughed as he stood, knowing that Severus was there to take over and keep an eye on Harry.

 

"Severus, you have no idea how sneaky teenagers can be, you haven't had to live with one in such close quarters." Takashi said as he headed to the doorway.

 

"Well if you know them so well it's a good thing you're here to help make sure that doesn't happen." Severus said gruffly. Takashi shook his head again.

 

"I have a feeling when that boy puts his mind to it, there will be no stopping him. Goodnight Severus." He said and left the room, leaving the potions master in deep thought.

 

Several days later and Harry was celebrating, in his eyes he had his freedom back. Dr. Yuri had removed the IV and while his stomach was still unsettled, he was able to eat on his own again, Snape and Takashi even allowed him to be alone for some of the time in his room. He frowned as he ate sandwich thinking on what he knew of Kaslin so far. She had done bad things, meaning the reactions she had so far hinted she might have been a Death Eater at some point, the reason why he thought death eater, was it just seemed to fit.

 

"Potter, get dressed." Snape barked from the door way. Harry blinked and stared at him.

 

"What?"

 

"Get dressed, for some stupid reason, Takashi wants to go for a drive, to where even I don't know." He sneered with distaste at the idea. "He said that Yuri believes you need fresh air, being cooped up for long periods of time isn't healthy." He added in a gruff voice, Harry snickered he had a feeling that Yuri had lectured Snape for doing that.

 

"Alright, are you going to leave the room so I can?" he asked, Snape snorted.

 

"Can you do so without falling flat on your face Potter?" He asked. Harry glared.

 

"I haven't fallen at all!"

 

"You haven't really been out of bed Potter. Get dressed, and call if you find yourself needing help." He said in a lighter tone as he left the room. Harry rolled his eyes and slowly stood going and getting clean clothes, he was annoyed to find that he was slightly dizzy. Quickly he finished and walked out of the room he glanced around finding Snape's and Takashi's rooms already empty.

 

"Come along Potter." Snape said a few feet away, sighing Harry followed him out to the same car Snape had dragged him to see Yuri in, Takashi was behind the wheel already. Sliding into the back while Snape took the front Harry raised an eyebrow at the over enthusiastic Dunbledore.

 

"Where are we going?" He asked as Snape snorted, the professor must have asked the same question and not gotten an answer. Takashi began to drive before he answered his grin showing in the mirror.

 

"To the sea!" he said laughing.

 

"WHAT!" Snape shouted in total shock...

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1424