My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75655 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 12 by Terri



The new term started with the returning students still excited over their holidays at home and it took several days to return to a semblance of normalcy. It took several assignments of detention with Filch and losing points to get his first class of third-year Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws to settle to their potions. By that evening, Severus was dreading the quality of the holiday essays he'd assigned. The pile of parchment scrolls seemed to mock him as he and Rys returned to his office after retrieving the toddler from the May cottage.

It didn't help that Sirius and Lupin hadn't been able to find Pettigrew since that day in Sirius' house. The protective wards around the cottage, the Mays' residence, and the house had been reinforced with Animagus warning spells. It was very frustrating to Severus to know that the bastard who'd betrayed Lily and James was still on the loose and in contact with the likes of Lucius Malfoy. The whole situation had him on edge.

"Daddy?"

Severus almost groaned at the timid note in his son's inquiry. Looking up from the essay he was grading, Severus could see that Rys had his finger in his mouth. Setting down his quill, Severus turned his chair.

"Come here, sweet boy."

Rys scrambled across the floor, his unicorn clenched in one hand. Lifting him, Severus kissed his son's nose, before settling him on his lap.

"What's wrong?" Severus asked, tugging Rys’ finger gently out of his son's mouth.

"Masly taid it's your bir'fday."

There was a touch of accusation in the statement and Severus closed his eyes. The significance of the day had slipped his mind, not that he'd planned to acknowledge it anyway. No one but Lily had ever celebrated it with him since he'd been a small boy. Back before his father's drinking had become excessive and abusive.

Severus sighed, hoping someday to figure out how a parent is supposed to deal with issues. "I forgot it was my birthday, sweet boy."

The tiny chin quivered and Severus' stomach clenched. He despised it when Rys cried.

"No p'esent for Daddy," Rys whispered, a silent tear slipping down his cheek.

Severus' breath caught in his chest. His son was upset because he didn't have a present for him. Hugging Rys to his chest, Severus tried to think of something that would appease the child.

"Professor Snape?" Altor stood beside him. "Masly is needing you at the cottage."

Almost relieved by the interruption, Severus thanked the elderly house-elf and locked up his office. Flooing back to the cottage, Severus stepped out with Rys clinging tightly to him, only to find the cottage crowded with people. Kyler bounced next to a table laden with tea, biscuits, and a large cake in the middle. Severus stood, stunned, setting Rys down as he wiggled.

Bernard stepped forward, shaking his hand as he slapped Severus on the back. "Happy birthday, my friend!"

Severus had never had anyone throw him a party before and he was at a loss as to how he was supposed to react. He saw that Sirius and Lupin were there, along with Phillip and Kyler. Rys had headed directly towards where Minerva and Poppy were sitting with an elderly woman on the couch and it took Severus a moment to identify her as Lucena Burke, the old Potter family nanny.

Attempting to be as gracious as he could, Severus nodded his thanks as he shook hands, one eye on his son. Grateful when no one seemed to expect him to make any speech and there was no attempt to sing, Severus slowly relaxed. Masly bowed deeply to him and Severus inclined his head in thanks, giving the house-elf permission to serve the cake. Rys and Kyler were trying to help, aided by Sirius who actually had become quite adept at handling the little boys.

"Happy birthday, Severus," Phillip said as he joined Severus beside the table. "Already an old man of, what, twenty-three?"

Severus couldn't help the smile that twitched his lips upwards. "There are certainly days that I feel much older, Phillip, as I'm sure you do as well."

Nodding, Phillip rubbed a hand across the lines on his forehead. "All too often, unfortunately."

"Where is Hannah?" Severus asked, noting her absence for the first time.

Phillip sighed as they watched Masly passing out plates to the chattering women on the couch. "She's not feeling well again, and before you ask, she'll be fine. She's pregnant and is having a rough first trimester."

"Congratulations." Severus could see the worry in his friend's face as Bernard appeared at his elbow. "I have a potion that might help ease some of the symptoms, one I refined for Lily when she was pregnant with Rys."

Phillip looked relieved. "That would be very helpful."

"Congratulations, Phillip!" Bernard told him jovially, passing around crystal goblets of firewhisky, saluting first the healer and turning to Severus. "And many happy returns, Severus."

"Thank you, I…"

"Daddy!" Rys tugged at his trousers, a gaily coloured present in his hand. "Un'ca Sir'us bought a pres'ent from both' us!"

Glancing at his old nemesis, Severus took the gift before lifting Rys into his arms. "Why don't you unwrap it for me, sweet boy?"

Rys gave him an uncertain look, before gingerly taking the long, thin box. Severus could feel the Heritage bracelet warm slightly on his wrist, and gave Rys an encouraging smile. Sirius joined the circle around Severus as the others watched, most of them realizing that this was a hurdle for Rys. Slowly, his son slid a finger under the edge of the paper and tore a small portion of it. His other hand wrapped securely around Severus' wrist and Severus tightened his arm around Rys.

"Phillip," Sirius spoke up, diverting some of the focus from Rys. "I'd be happy to give Hannah a hand, or even take the boys when she isn't feeling well."

Severus could see the relief on his friend's face. "That would be very helpful, Sirius, if you could. I know Hannah is concerned about letting Severus down, as well as the children."

Sirius grinned. "If Severus doesn't mind, I can use the cottage to mind them, as the protective spells are already in place here."

"And I'd be more than happy to assist as well, young man," Madam Burke interjected, Kyler sitting on her lap as she helped him eat cake. "And if young Remus here does open a school in the village, I'm sure he is going to need some support as well. Mind you, not that I like Dumbledore's manipulations, but there is a need for the children to have a school of their own before they start Hogwarts. It would also allow those little ones who aren't eligible to at least start school with magical siblings and friends."

Her statement prompted Severus to meet her eyes. He'd never given any thought to the way the Wizarding world treated children who were Squibs and would not be afforded any opportunity for formal magical education. Despite it being Dumbledore's idea, with whatever manipulation he intended to subject its students to, a school would definitely be a benefit to the children of Hogsmeade.

"Perhaps it would be an idea to consider, Madam Burke," Severus said quietly, exchanging a glance with Bernard, who nodded slowly in agreement.

Rys ignored the conversation as he concentrated on slowly tearing the paper. Severus watched his son's face as the wrapping tore away to reveal a box from one of Diagon Alley's best jewelers. Gripping the bottom, Severus helped Rys take the top off as the little boy eagerly looked inside. Nestled in a bed of blue velvet, was a bright green feather capped with a silver quill tip. Around the edge of the metal was engraved Rys' Daddy.

"Oh, pretty!" Rys breathed, running a finger along the plume.

Severus swallowed hard. Of all the inane things he would have expected Sirius Black to give him, an elegant quill boldly proclaiming his paternity wasn't one of them. Looking up, Severus could see that his former nemesis was grinning broadly.

"Thank you," he said quietly as he followed his son's example and ran his finger over the engraving.

Smiling, Severus allowed himself enjoy the party. The people gathered around him had proven themselves loyal friends to both Rys and him. As Kyler slid off Madam Burke's lap, she held out her arms for Rys. Severus didn't hesitate to carefully settle his son into her embrace. A weathered hand patted his arm in approval.

"A piece of cake for the baby, young man."

Severus turned to retrieve one, unexpectedly thrilled at the approval he saw as Minerva bestowed a rare smile upon him. It was the best birthday Severus had ever had.




"Professor Snape?"

Severus looked up from where he was watching students crowd into Honeydukes as Bastian walked up. The seventh-year appeared pale and glanced around nervously as he stopped beside Severus. It was a cold, crisp afternoon in late February and Severus had once again been assigned to chaperone students on their Hogsmeade weekend. This time, however, Rys was safely ensconced in the cottage with Sirius.

"Mr. Bastian?" Severus resumed walking, pretending an interest in the shoppe fronts.

Bastian fell in beside him, and Severus noted the hands clenched into fists at his student's sides. "What benefit would it be to know a spell that would prepare an object with preservation and containment spells?"

"An object?" Severus frowned, resisting the urge to look at Bastian.

"Yes, an inanimate object, I think. There is a string of spells scribbled on a piece of parchment, badly smudged, and I've only been able to decipher the one." Something slid into his hand. "I made a copy, that is original – I am hoping you can figure out what Reg was trying to tell us."

Severus closed his hand around the note, transferring it casually to his pocket. "I'll do my best, Mr. Bastian. Where did you find it?"

"Hidden in a warded space under the bed Regulus slept in while at Hogwarts."

There was a tone to Bastian's voice that Severus couldn't quite identify and he frowned. "Why would he leave something like this at Hogwarts?"

Bastian gave him a sideways looks. "Because it was the safest place to hide something from the Dark Lord, and his friends were a tight lot."

Severus' curled his lip. "I wouldn't know as I was hardly in his social circle!"

"Oh yes," Bastian snorted, "you were one of the Dark Lord's elite! His Potions prodigy who wasn't ever expected to get his hands dirty, while Reg and my brother were Marked and immediately sent out to torture and kill for him!"

Guilt flooded through him and Severus could feel his cheeks heat. "I meant only…"

Bastian stopped him with a raised hand, coming to a stop near the apothecary. "I'm sorry, sir, it's just that my brother’s enjoyment of that sort of thing was his downfall and devastating to watch. Regulus never really espoused the pureblood mania that his family did and was more like Sirius than his parents ever realized. If it hadn't been for his house-elf covering for him...well, I know Reg went spare when the Dark Lord demanded he send Kreacher to him."

Severus stiffened, he wasn't aware of that fact. "Usually a house-elf given to the Dark Lord didn't survive that service. How is it that Kreacher did?"

"Regulus ordered him to come back from whatever he was supposed to do, but it was then that he became frantic in his search for those certain Dark spells." Bastian met his eyes. "I just want to make sure that the Dark Lord didn't, in fact, find a way to beat death."

"As do I, Artemus," Severus said grimly, knowing his son's life could possibly depend on it.




Stepping out of the Floo, Severus stopped short at the scene in front of him: a large black dog prancing around the room with two little boys clinging to his back, squealing with delight. It wasn't so much Sirius in Animagus form or that Kyler had joined them, but the look of pure glee on his son's face. Rys' cheeks were flushed and his eyes sparkled as he looked up to see Severus, launching himself off his godfather's back.

"Daddy!"

The exuberance was endearing and Severus blamed the hitch in his breath to the impact of his son against his chest. "It appears you are having a lovely time with Kyler and Sirius. If you and Kyler would like to go wash your hands, I think Masly might have a snack for you in the kitchen."

Rys nodded eagerly, hugging him tightly around the neck before wiggling to get down. It thrilled Severus to see Rys acting like a normal child.

"He still flinches at sudden movement." Sirius had transformed and was standing beside him. "Doesn't like raised voices, either, even in play."

"No," Severus said in agreement. "And I have no idea how deep the damage goes or its lasting effects."

"I wish I could pay those damn Muggles a visit." Sirius maintained a conversational tone as delighted laughter drifted to them from the loo.

"They seem to have disappeared, helped, no doubt, by Lucius Malfoy's Galleons."

Severus bit off a sigh, turning towards Sirius. In the time he'd been out of Azkaban, Sirius had lost the gaunt look, his hair trimmed to shoulder length and fashionably styled, but his eyes still remained haunted. Severus recognized that expression from his own short stint in the Wizarding prison and his exposure to the Dementors. Their old animosity had been mostly put aside and Severus was finding that they had this shared experience to strengthen their fledgling friendship.

"I had an interesting conversation with young Artemus Bastian this morning."

Sirius frowned. "Artie? Has he found something?"

Severus nodded. "Regulus left behind a parchment with a spell on it in a warded space under the bed he slept in in the Slytherin dorms. It appears to be a way to prepare something, an inanimate object, to house organic matter. It's a very Dark spell."

The little boys giggled as they scurried back through the sitting room and into the kitchen. Severus pulled the parchment from his pocket, carefully unfolded it, and handed it to Sirius.

"Bastian relayed to me that Regulus was told by the Dark Lord that he had to provide a house-elf to help him."

Sirius lifted his eyes from the piece of parchment. "Kreacher would have done anything Regulus asked him to."

"I witnessed the Dark Lord send a house-elf off to do a task for him on more than one occasion, but none of them ever came back," Severus told him quietly, eyes on the kitchen doorway. "Bastian said that Regulus ordered the house-elf to return to him."

The color drained from Sirius' face. "And Reg must have made Kreacher tell him what the bastard had him do."

"Yes," Severus agreed, taking no pleasure in the pain on his former enemy's face. "He must have told Kreacher to take him back to wherever he'd gone with the Dark Lord."

"Which is where he got the locket…" Sirius trailed off. "Then Kreacher knows what happened to Regulus and what was put into the locket.”

"I believe so, yes," Severus acknowledged. "And could probably tell us what happened or at least take us back to where Regulus found it. I'm curious, though, what did you say to him that finally convinced him to give you the locket?"

Sirius frowned. "I told him I wanted to destroy the bloody thing."

It made sense to Severus. "That may be exactly what Regulus told him to do with the thing, but for some reason he couldn't figure out how to."

"House-elf magic is powerful in its own way, but I don't know about destroying Dark artifacts." Sirius carefully refolded the parchment before handing it back to Severus.

"Which leaves us to figure it out," Severus said grimly, thinking of Rys' scar.

"Dumbledore could be of assistance, if we can find a way to protect the baby from his plans," Sirius said and Severus bristled.

"I'm afraid the price of Dumbledore's help might be too high!" Severus took a deep breath. "Let's start with putting together the school and see how he responds to that."

"In the meantime, I will see what I can find out from Kreacher," Sirius said, despite a doubtful expression. "Perhaps if I invoke Regulus' name, he'll be a bit more helpful."

A low tone from the wards preceded a tap on the back door and Severus made it to the doorway as Hannah Mays popped her head in.

"Mummy!" Kyler greeted her, a smear of chocolate across his cheek.

Summoning a flannel, Severus quickly wiped the little boy's hands and face, as Sirius spoke to Hannah. Still slender, Hannah looked pale, resting a protective hand on the small swell at her waist.

"Thank you so much for minding Kyler this afternoon, Sirius, I was able to get a much needed nap."

Severus lifted Kyler down from the table and waved at Hannah as Sirius walked them back to the house. Masly already had Rys cleaned up as Severus moved behind his chair. Rys turned his head with a frown, watching as Severus reached down to lift him up.

"Daddy mad?"

Severus hated that this was still the first thing Rys thought of when he saw that Severus was preoccupied. "No, sweet boy, I simply have something on my mind."

Rys slid his arms around Severus' neck, kissing him on the cheek. "Love you, Daddy."

Severus smiled, allowing himself to enjoy the feeling of warmth holding his son gave him. The locket had to be destroyed, and in doing that, maybe they would figure out a way to rid Rys of the organic matter lodged in his scar. The knowledge that it was there scared Severus, but not like the thought of what they might have to do to remove it.




Severus took a deep breath before stepping onto the circular staircase to the Headmaster's office. Fawkes had delivered Dumbledore's summons just as his last class was filing out, and Severus was more than a little apprehensive about it. Rys was at the cottage with Sirius and Lupin, and they would keep him there until Severus came to pick him up. Stopping at the oak door, Severus smoothed his robes and raised his hand to knock.

"Come in, Severus!"

Severus pushed open the door, keeping his eyes fixed on the wall behind the Headmaster. Fawkes trilled softly as he settled himself into the chair across from the desk, finally meeting Dumbledore's eyes. Glad that he'd strengthened his Occlumency shields on his trip up from the dungeons, he felt the brush of Legilimency. Severus arched an eyebrow in question.

"Oh, my apologies, dear boy, I was merely attempting to ascertain your mood." Dumbledore waved a hand at the tea tray setting to the side. "It appears you could use a spot of tea."

"No, thank you, Headmaster." Severus tried not to grit his teeth. "I'll be having tea as soon as I leave here."

Dumbledore narrowed his eyes, but didn't press the issue. "How is young Rys faring?"

"Well," Severus answered truthfully. "He seems to be adapting and eager to learn."

"Good, good!" Dumbledore sat back, fingers stroking his beard. "I expect he will benefit from the school Remus and Sirius are opening in September."

"I'm cautiously optimistic, Headmaster." Severus didn't want to give any of their plans away. "It is my goal that Rys have a normal, happy childhood."

Severus' tone was even, but he knew Dumbledore would understand the reference. Surprisingly, Dumbledore simply nodded, as if resigned to the fate Severus had demanded for his son. Dumbledore settled back in his chair, steepling his fingers in front of him.

"In order to prepare for the future, Severus, we must work together. I believe that Lord Voldemort was working to ensure his continued existence and wasn't truly vanquished that night in Godric's Hollow." Dumbledore peered at him intently over the top of his half-moon spectacles. "We must find out what he did to prepare for his possible demise, for your son's sake as well as all of ours."

Fawkes trilled softly and Severus nodded as he bit back a sarcastic comment. Dumbledore was right, they did need to work together for a common goal, which didn't mean that he would let down his guard were his son was concerned.

"Where would you suggest we start?" Severus asked quietly, gingerly accepting the Headmaster's offer.

"I need you to make a list of every potion that you created for Voldemort during your service. From mundane to the Dark and obscure, as I think that one of them may have been used to try and ensure Voldemort's immortality." Dumbledore reached out to tap a thin book on the desk in front of him. "While you are doing that, I have undertaken to research magic that involves the preservation of one's soul, something that is necessary in order to resurrect oneself."

Severus frowned; he'd been Marked as soon as he had left school, and immediately began his mastery in Potions in London, which included many diverse and difficult potions. The Dark Lord had kept a close eye on his progress, demanding potions be made from an ancient text that Severus was given and, on one occasion, a crumbling parchment. It would take some effort to remember and list all of the potions he'd been asked to create, and even longer to remember all he'd brewed from other sources.

"I will endeavor to start on it immediately, Headmaster." Severus rose to his feet, shooting a speculative glance at the book, but Dumbledore offered no further information. "There were several of…dubious origin that may be especially enlightening."

"Feel free to utilize my Pensieve if you are in need of clarifying any memory, my boy."

Severus nodded as he moved towards the door, his mind already deep in thought. Had any of the potions he'd made or created during his time in the Dark Lord's service contributed to whatever the organic matter was in Rys' scar? Did Dumbledore already know about Slytherin's locket? His feet carried him through the corridors towards his rooms, while Severus' mind assimilated this new development, and what it would mean for him and Rys.




A loud cry startled Severus from a sound sleep and he fought to push the bedding aside as the Heritage bracelet on his wrist grew warm. Rys was thrashing in his bed, arms thrown defensively over his face.

"No! NO! No hurt Mummy!" Rys twisted as if trying to avoid a blow.

Severus sat beside him, speaking softly. "Rys, it’s Daddy. You're having a bad dream!" Reaching out, Severus brushed a hand through his son's hair, allowing his magic to reach out to Rys, before lifting him up.

"Daddy!" Rys flung his arms around Severus' neck, crying silently into his shoulder.

"It's all right, sweet boy, he can't hurt you now," Severus crooned, rocking side to side as Rys continued to cry. "I will always do my best to keep you safe."

Lifting Rys, Severus carried him through to the small kitchen off the sitting room. It had become their routine for Severus to fix a cup of hot cocoa for them to share when this particular memory surfaced, giving Rys a chance to wake up and become sleepy again naturally, so that he could fall back asleep. With one arm holding his son tightly, Severus murmured reassurances as he moved about.

Settling them onto the couch, Severus shifted Rys so that he sat across his lap, cradled in the crook of his arm. He Summoned a flannel and gently washed the tears off Rys’ face, those expressive eyes watching him. Severus bent over and kissed his son's nose, drawing a small smile from him.

"Here, sweet boy, take a little sip of your chocolate." Severus held the mug for him.

Chocolate is soothing.

The deep voice seemed to resonate in his head until Rys nodded and leaned over to take a drink. Holding the mug steady, Severus raised his head until he could see the tapestry of Merlin on the wall. The sorcerer seemed to stare back at him as Severus looked, and then, slowly, deliberately, Merlin winked.

"Man likes Daddy," Rys said softly, pulling the mug closer.

Severus could only nod, wondering whether this was another of Dumbledore's manipulations or something trustworthy. "I'm glad, sweet boy."

Trust your magic, young man, and respect the magic of all those around you, even those whom others often overlook.

"Daddy," Rys rubbed his eye with one fist, "you have ta d'ink."

Tearing his eyes from the tapestry, Severus took a sip of the now tepid cocoa. Focusing on Rys, Severus helped him drink the cocoa, glancing up frequently to the unmoving tapestry. Merlin remained silent, even after Rys had fallen asleep in his arms. Carrying his son back to his own bedroom, Severus changed his mind, sliding into his own bed with Rys securely in his arms.

Severus closed his eyes, glad it was a Saturday, as the eerie words echoed through his mind. Whose magic was it that wasn't being respected? Despite his misgivings, Severus respected the power of Albus Dumbledore's magic, as well as the formidable magic Rys had already displayed. Even Kyler had accidentally turned Farsh's fur blue last week, much to the corgi's chagrin.

His last thought before finally succumbing to sleep was, like with Kreacher, there was something he was overlooking, and he was determined to find out what it was.




"The tapestry is now talking to you?" Bernard's tone made Severus wince. "Never experienced that before."

Severus gritted his teeth, even though he knew that Bernard was just goading him. "I'm trying to decipher the message and thought you might give me some input, mate."

Bernard snorted, hiding his grin behind his teacup as they sat in the sitting room of the cottage, Rys standing by the window, looking out at the yard. The rain poured down outside, spring having finally arrived, and Rys seemed as fascinated with the thunder and lightning as he'd been with the snow. The weather brought back less than warm memories from Severus' own childhood and he steadfastly ignored his son's longing looks outside.

"Seriously, Severus, it sounds like the old man was giving you a riddle, making sure you met muster by figuring it out." Bernard set his cup down, his eyes still dancing with mirth, despite his helpful tone. "Maybe he meant those of us whose magic isn't as strong, like a Squib."

Staring out at the gray skies, Severus pondered how a Squib might help protect Rys or figure out how to rid him of the tainted material in his scar. Masly popped in with a plate of biscuits, no doubt an enticement to lure Rys from the window. Watching the diminutive creature with his son, it dawned on Severus that the house-elf had already been a tremendous help to them, as had Altor and even Kreacher. The unique and powerful magic house-elves had was very much out of proportion with their small stature.

Severus looked up, catching Bernard's eye and inclined his head toward where Masly and Rhys stood together. "Perhaps that is what he meant."

"Yes," Bernard said in a low voice, watching. "Goblins would fit the description as well, as they are fierce warriors and amazingly loyal if you have earned their trust."

"I thought that loyalty could be bought," Severus said, surprised.

"Oh, it can be, but their true fidelity is unswerving once it has been given. It might do to cultivate some ties with them, which is something I can work on." Bernard looked thoughtful, before standing and brushing crumbs from the front of his robes. "Lovely tea, Severus, thank you." He gestured towards the window as he moved to the Floo. "And it even looks like you might be able to get Rys outside this afternoon, now that the rain has stopped."

Glancing outside, Severus could see a shaft of sunshine illuminating the backyard and Rys shot him a hopeful look. Bidding Bernard goodbye, Severus turned to study his son. The look on his face was one of longing, and with a sigh, Severus stood.

"You have been a very good boy this afternoon, Rys." Severus brushed his fingers through the toddler's hair. "Would you like to take a walk outside and check the garden with me?"

"Yes Daddy, please!"

Rys’ eyes lit up, so much like Lily's when they were children. Sending Rys to the loo off the kitchen, Severus retrieved their coats and wellingtons, having learned that a Muggle-style coat was much more versatile when dealing with a small child. The little green coat with its brown trim and matching boots were a gift from Hannah, ones that Kyler had outgrown.

"'M ready, Daddy!"

Severus smiled as Rys carefully stepped into the wellingtons and held his arms out as Severus pulled the coat around him. Sliding his feet into an old pair of boots himself, Severus shrugged on his coat before leading the way outside. As always, Severus had his wand in hand, stopping for a moment to look over the area, before allowing Rys to follow him onto the step.

Gray clouds still loitered in the area, but the small backyard of the cottage was bathed in sunshine. Lifting Rys over a large puddle, Severus set him down and took his hand. The rain had washed the area, leaving it refreshed and ready for planting. They would need to clear out the weeds and debris from last summer's attempt and sow heartier strains of plants. Granted, there had been other, more vital focuses last July when they arrived, so this year's garden should be better.

Rys carefully stepped around the puddles of standing water as he held tightly to Severus' hand. Stopping, Severus remembered his own father's harsh tone and the sharp blow he received when he'd excitedly stomped in a small pool after a rainfall, splashing both him and the old man. It seemed Rys probably had been subjected to similar punishment, as he kept his eyes fastened to the ground to avoid them.

"Rys," Severus said softly. "When you have your wellingtons on, you may splash in the puddles."

His son looked up at him, hesitant. Severus tugged him in front of him, using his own boot to splash down in the middle of the puddle. Rys squealed with delight.

"Now, sweet boy, you do it."

Rys' first attempt was a glancing blow that sent water straying to one side. After looking up to make sure he wasn't in trouble, Rys jumped into the puddle with both feet, splashing mud and water everywhere. Severus couldn't help laughing at the look of wonder on his son's face, as he too, stomped in the puddle. Letting go of his hand, Rys ran to the next puddle and then the next, until his wellingtons were caked with mud and his coat filth. There was a moment where the child gave him an uncertain look, but Severus simply spelled them both clean and dry.

Rys held his arms up in a rare request to be lifted and Severus scooped him up, tossing him in the air as he'd seen Phillip do with Kyler. Rys laughed with delight, throwing his arms around Severus' neck when he was caught, and kissing him on the cheek.

"T'ank you, Daddy!"

"You are welcome, sweet boy," Severus said as he carried Rys into the cottage.

Inside, Severus was surprised to find a grim-faced Sirius Black waiting for them.




Severus Floo'd through to the cottage after Rys had been bathed and put to bed, Masly watching over him in their quarters. He found Sirius slumped in a chair, a half-full goblet of firewhisky in his hand. Pouring himself two fingers from the bottle, Severus sat down on the couch and took a sip. The tendrils of fire burned down his throat as he waited for Sirius to speak.

Sirius shifted, straightening up in the chair. "I told Kreacher today that I wanted to see where Reg…where my brother had died and asked him if he would take me there. I thought he was going to refuse or act like he didn't understand."

Pausing, Sirius drained his glass and grimaced. Severus remained silent as he watched, gripping his drink with both hands.

"He took me to a cave that sits on the edge of a bloody cliff somewhere on the north coast. It was sealed with Dark magic and took a blood offering to open the door. The inside reeked of death and I didn't go past the doorway. There was a small lake with an island in the middle where the Regulus had taken the locket from, but the lake was full of dead people, who aren't really dead, according to Kreacher."

"Inferi," Severus told him grimly. "Something the Dark Lord seemed to delight in was mucking around with dead bodies. I do remember him bragging about being able to enchant corpses."

Sirius nodded, his voice dropping. "Something killed him, maybe poisonous potion from what Kreacher said, but Reg knew he was dying when he ordered Kreacher to leave and destroy the locket."

Severus leaned forward. "Then Kreacher didn't see the locket being prepared."

Sirius shook his head, staring into his goblet.

"Sirius?" Severus wasn't sure how to start, as the man looked up. "Dumbledore said he believes the Dark Lord had found a way to preserve his soul somehow."

"But you can't live without a soul."

"No, so he either has to copy it or…"

"Tear it into pieces, somehow." Sirius looked green. "Merlin, what would you have to do in order to tear apart your soul?"

Severus could only imagine. "I'm not quite sure, but it seems that we need to find out and soon."


To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431