My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75700 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 19 by Terri



Severus Snape smiled as he watched his son carefully cut into his fifth birthday cake under Masly’s supervision. This year they had kept the celebration small, with just those considered their closest friends. The Headland house was filled to capacity, with Lady Lucy squeezed into the small room off the nursery again. No one had complained, though Severus could use at least one night without Rys' feet being everywhere they shouldn't. On the other hand, there was nothing as reassuring as the sound of his son's steady breathing when Severus had trouble sleeping.

Rys looked over at him, somehow sensing Severus' scrutiny, and gave him a wide smile. The hand holding the cake cutter was steady and Severus was thankful for that. It had been just over five weeks since the Horcrux was removed from Rys and his son finally seemed to be back to normal. In all the research he and their friends had done,
none of them had thought to research what damage living with Dark matter in one's brain could cause. The slight tremor in Rys' right hand, the episodes of confusion, and the reoccurring headaches had been worrisome in the days after the ritual. It had taken a modification Phillip made to the Brain Bruise potion which had finally helped repaired the damage. It had done nothing for the mild behavioral issues Rys was displaying.

Masly took over the actually cutting of the cake and handed the first slice to Rys, who promptly took it over to Miss Lucy. He gave Severus a quick look and Severus gave him an approving nod. With a grin, Rys skipped back to the table to help pass out the rest of the pieces. Draco took a piece to his mother and Kyler, prompted by his father, carried one to Hannah even as he snuck a taste of the icing. When everyone else had a slice, Rys carefully walked to were Severus was seated, juggling two small plates, his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth as he concentrated. Severus moved over, sharing his chair as they ate the delicious chocolate cake Masly had created.

The three boys spent the afternoon riding their brooms, with Kingsley, Sirius, and Severus joining them to practice catching a Quaffle. The cool, overcast weather kept them from going into the ocean and when the rain came, the boys raced each other inside where they could play less boisterous games. Maya played with them, supervised by Miss Lucy, Narcissa, and Hannah, until dinner time.

The sun had barely set when silence descended on the house and Severus sighed. He loved his son and was delighted that Rys had become a normal, happy little boy, but he had to admit the noise could become a bit much at times. Narcissa gave him a small smile of understanding as he rubbed at his temple, passing him one of the crystal tumblers of amber liquid everyone else was holding.

"Severus?" Phillip headed up the stairs. "I'm going to do that deep diagnostic spell on Rys while he's asleep."

Severus nodded his permission as he dropped down into one of the wingchairs. Sirius and Remus exchanged a glance, while Bernard and Kingsley paused their quiet conversation to look at him, but it was Narcissa who asked the question.

"Severus? Is Rys all right?"

Severus closed his eyes for a moment and reopened them. "Poppy and Phillip are concerned about some residual scar tissue which may be why Rys is acting out a bit. "

"For everything he has been through, Severus, he's coped amazingly," Narcissa told him, reaching over to pat his hand.

Resisting the urge to sigh, Severus nodded. "That being said, Rys is still occasionally confused and has developed a bit of a temper of late."

"Kid comes by that naturally," Sirius muttered, deftly avoiding Remus' smack. "What? Lily was a wonderful girl, but she had a temper as fiery as her hair!"

"It could be just a natural personality progression as he's getting older." Kingsley offered in a reassuring tone.

"And it could also be a bit of scar tissue from the abomination the child housed for almost four years." Phillip's voice cut across the discussion.

Severus looked up as Phillip descended the stairs and took a seat next to Hannah. While his voice held a touch of grimness, Phillip didn't look unduly troubled. "Rys' brain is still healing itself, as there is more scarring than I had anticipated after the potion you gave him, Severus. However, I think we just need to give the poor boy a bit more time before we do anything else, especially since he has his full magic now."

"Thank you," Severus told him, taking a deep breath.

"Full magic?" Sirius frowned.

"The Horcrux was actually drawing energy from Rys' magical core," Phillip said grimly. "We'll just have to wait until he fully heals to assess him again."

Remus set his glass down and leaned forward. "Has there been any word on Perius
Pyrites?"

Kingsley opened his mouth but Narcissa surprised them by speaking first.

"Lucius is convinced Pyrites somehow sabotaged the Solstice rite, as he was standing within the ley lines Lucius had identified with runes." She looked at Sirius. "Apparently, whatever spell you used on the fake diary had sufficient power in it to give off a blast of magic when the Horcrux from Rys slammed into the wraith and exploded." Narcissa gave Severus a smirk. "Goyle was standing so close it singed his eyebrows. Last time anyone admits to seeing Pyrites, Goyle was chasing him through Stonehenge, hexing him."

Severus snorted at the mental image he had as Narcissa spoke. Pyrites had not returned to Hogwarts for the last week of the term, something that filled Severus with relief. Rys would have been in constant danger if the Death Eaters had ever known he carried a Horcrux in his scar. A shudder crawled up his spine and Severus firmly pushed the thought away.

"I don't think we're safe yet," Narcissa added softly. "I suspect Lucius either has or is working to acquire at least two other Horcruxes and is still looking to Samhain for another ritual."

Kingsley straightened up. "There was a report from Gringotts about someone trying to access Bellatrix Lestrange's vault last week."

Sirius scratched his chin thoughtfully. "He used Ravenclaw's diadem and Slytherin's locket as vessels. The diary was probably his first, an experiment really, and Rys was an accident. So, what other objects would an evil madman—"

"Bloody hell!" Narcissa exclaimed, eyes wide. "Hufflepuff's cup!"

"What?" Severus asked, confused by her unusual outburst.

Narcissa took a breath. "When the Dark Lord entrusted the diary to Lucius, he was insufferably proud and goaded Bellatrix constantly about being trusted more than she was. My sister finally snapped and told him she'd been entrusted with Hufflepuff's cup, which apparently meant enough to Lucius that he stopped."

"That would make three items belonging to the Founders," Bernard reasoned. "Perhaps we should be looking for something which belonged to Gryffindor?"

"What about the Deathly Hallows?" Remus suggested. "If Peverell and Slytherin lines crossed, as in James and Severus' linages, Voldemort might have used either the Resurrection Stone or the Elder Wand."

Narcissa stared at him. "Deathly Hallows? Isn't that just a legend?"

Remus shook his head. "I don't think so. The Invisibility cloak James had was indestructible, you couldn't even burn it, and it was a family heirloom, passed down from the Peverell side of his family. It was at least a century old."

"Perhaps, this is where we need to bring Dumbledore in." Phillip observed.

"Or the Department of Mysteries," Sirius added.

"True, the Unspeakables would have a better understanding of Necromancy and other obscure magic it involves." Severus agreed.

"Is it possible to bring him back with just one or two of those foul things?" Hannah asked.

"Yes." Kingsley looked grim. "As long as any Horcrux remains, he can return."

Severus shuddered. "With only a fraction of his soul, I would suspect he'd be even more evil and crazed than he was before."




Severus brushed a strand of fine hair out of Rys' face as his son presented himself for inspection. He loved the auburn highlights brought out by the summer sun and swallowed hard against the lump in his throat as he saw Lily in Rys' nose and eyes, along with the highlights.

"Do I look all right, Daddy?" Rys asked, biting his bottom lip.

Giving the light blue summer robes the proper scrutiny, Severus inclined his head with a serious look on his face. "You look like a proper young wizard, my son."

Rys grinned and threw his arms around Severus, beaming proudly as he looked up. "You look nice, too, Dad!"

Severus cupped the back of Rys' head, his look turning serious. "You remember what we talked about?"

"Dad! 'course I do, I'm not a baby!"

"And what are you going to do?" Severus prompted as he arched an eyebrow at the bit of a whine.

Rys, catching the look his father was giving him, swallowed. "Not look the P'ofessor in the eye and mind my manners."

"And?"

"And let you know if I feel magic around us." Rys grinned at him.

Severus patted his head. "Good boy, especially let me know if you feel any magic or see anything else." He leaned down to kiss Rys forehead. "Don't get within reach of Professor Dumbledore and pay attention to your bracelet as well as your new ring."

Rys held out his right hand. "I like my new Prince ring, Daddy."

"That's my sweet boy." Severus kissed the top of his head, before turning Rys and heading out the door. "At least, it's a beautiful day for a walk.

"It brilliant!" Rys proclaimed he, sliding his hand into Severus' as they set off towards the village

Shaking his head, Severus shortened his stride so Rys didn't have to run to keep up with him. Although he loved the cheeky, independent little boy Rys was becoming, Severus had a feeling that emerging child had the potential to turning into an argumentative teenager. A part of him was thrilled at the change as he remembered the silent, terrified toddler he had removed from the Dursleys, however, the rest of him just wanted to help Rys maintain a balance between independence and self-confidence but still be respectful and caring.

Albus Dumbledore actually met them up the road from the restaurant, appearing from an alleyway as they walked along. "Ahh, there you are Severus and little Ha—Rys."

Rys took a half step towards Severus and gripped his hand harder. "'lo, sir."

"Headmaster," Severus replied, not breaking his stride. "You're early."

Dumbledore fell into step beside them, his yellow and blue robes swirling around him. "It was such a beautiful day, I thought I stretch my legs a bit and come meet you boys."

Severus doubted that, but continued towards the small outdoor restaurant as Dumbledore continued his one-man dialogue, making innocuous comments about things they passed. Voicing the appropriate single-syllable responses, Severus guided Rys through the tables to the one indicated by the server. After settling Rys into his seat and handing him a menu, Severus sat down and folded his hands on the table in front of him as Dumbledore took his own seat.

"Have you been here before, my boy?" Dumbledore looked down his nose at the menu, before his eyes flicked up to meet Severus' over his half-moon spectacles.

Severus was careful to focus on the tip of Dumbledore's nose. "I have, Headmaster, and can recommend anything on the menu, particularly the Scotch Pie."

"Indeed, that sounds like an excellent suggestion."

Relieved, Severus turned to Rys. "Do you know what you would like, sweet boy?"

Rys smiled up at him. "May I please have a little Bridie, Dad?"

"With a glass of milk, yes?" Severus smiled as Rys nodded and handed back the menu. "If you are ready to order, Professor?"

At Dumbledore's nod, Severus tapped Rys' plate and ordered his meat pie and milk, tapped his own plate to order his own Bridie and tea, before nodding at Dumbledore. With a tap, Dumbledore relayed his choice and smiled as their beverages arrived almost instantly, much to Rys' delight. Severus had made a point to tell Rys' what he expected of him today, even though Rys was a well behaved child, as they both were on edge with Dumbledore there.

"And perhaps young Rys would like a belated birthday gift," Dumbledore produced a red and gold wrapped box from under the table.

Rys automatically reached for the gift as Severus stiffened, before pulling his hand back rapidly. "Magic, Daddy!" he whispered, leaning away from Dumbledore.

Severus' wand was in his hand in an instant and Dumbledore didn't have time to protest before he was casting a detection spell. With a frown, Severus took the package and silently canceled the spell he found on it, then pushed it toward Rys.

"Go ahead, sweet boy, it's all right now." He narrowed his eyes at his employer. "A tracking spell, Headmaster?"

Dumbledore smiled and fluttered a hand. "Merely to keep it from being misplaced, my boy."

Biting his tongue, Severus watched as Rys cautiously opened the gift to reveal a selection of sweets from Honeydukes.

"Thank you for the present, sir," Rys said quietly, looking in Dumbledore's general direction.

"You are welcome, Harry." Dumbledore smiled.

Rys stiffened but didn't make a comment and Severus arched an eyebrow at Dumbledore's antics. Neither wanted the Headmaster to know how much he irritated them, but, as Severus had explained to his son, for a man who wanted Rys to like him, he was failing spectacularly. Rys continued to examine the sweets as Dumbledore watched him and Severus scowled at Dumbledore.

"It would seem someone is sensitive to magic," Dumbledore said softly, still staring at Rys.

"As you say, Headmaster." Severus kept his voice carefully neutral as Rys twitched slightly under Dumbledore's continued scrutiny.

"An unusual talent," Dumbledore commented, looking up at Severus. "Just spells, or other types of magic."

"We are each given different gifts by Lady Magic." Ignoring the question, Severus caught the face Dumbledore pulled and smirked, knowing the wizard wasn't a devotee of many of the traditional beliefs.

The empty plates on their table disappeared before Dumbledore could make any further comment. Rys set the box of sweets to one side in anticipation of their meal and was delighted as his small meat pie appeared. Severus watched with approval as Rys spread his serviette across his lap and looked up at his father through his fringe hopefully. Giving him a slight nod, Severus splashed a dollop of milk into his tea as his own Birdie appeared. Dumbledore hummed as he added two heaping teaspoons of sugar to his tea, before picking up his own knife and fork.

For several minutes the only sound was the clatter and scrape of utensils as the delicious food was eaten. Severus was proud of his son's manners and made a note to compliment Narcissa on the etiquette lessons she has been giving the children over the summer. With Lucius feverously searching for additional Horcruxes, Narcissa and Draco had been able to spend the summer at the Headland house with only periodic checks by their assigned house-elf. Although, Masly had taken pity on the exuberant little elf and allowed him to help with the housekeeping.

"Tell me, young man, what do you enjoy most at your school?" Dumbledore asked after taking a sip of tea, his meat pie reduced to crumbs.

Rys glance up at him before his eyes immediately shifted to Severus, he swallowed the bit of food in his mouth. "Reading, sir."

"One of my own favorites as well, my boy!" Dumbledore pointed at Rys with his knife. "Never give up your love of reading, it allows you to learn about so many different things."

"Yes, sir," Rys responded politely. "And, I really like to make potions with my dad."

Severus gave him an indulgent smile; he'd started teaching the boys rudimentary potions the last few weeks and both Rys and Draco had been enthralled. "Are you ready for your sweet?"

"Yes, please!" Rys nodded eagerly as Severus tapped his son's plate twice and a small slice of treacle tart appeared.

The child's delight was obvious and Severus looked away to find himself under Dumbledore's intense scrutiny. Keeping a neutral expression on his face, Severus arched an eyebrow as he focused on a spot over Dumbledore's right shoulder.

Dumbledore leaned forward slightly and Severus felt a privacy bubble go up around them. Rys' slight twitch relayed to Severus that he was also aware.

"There have been reports from around Stonehenge of an unnaturally large snake roaming the area."

Severus blinked at the quiet urgency of the Headmaster's voice, moving his eyes slightly to gauge the emotion he heard in the man's voice. The urgency he expected, the flicker of fear in the depths, Severus did not.

"And you believe this — snake is connected with the Mid-Summer's Eve ritual the Death Eaters attended?" Severus glanced at Rys, who was dragging his fork through the crumbs on his plate.

Nodding his head slowly, Dumbledore smoothed one hand down his beard. "This type of snake is not native to the British Isles, rarely seen anywhere but Northern Greece, and has never been seen that large before. I must wonder how it got here."

Severus frowned as he remembered something overheard of the ritual. "Albania boarders Greek in the north and I heard whispers at the Solstice of strange magic there."

Dumbledore narrowed his eyes in thought. "It is possible that the wraith had possessed the snake and it was brought along when the wraith was summoned during the ritual."

Severus blinked, he'd never heard of a ritual pulling organic matter with the spirit possessing it, unless—"Just how big is this serpent, according to the reports?"

"Large, larger enough to eat a human," Dumbledore looked over his half-moon spectacles at Severus.

"I wonder if the snake is also a Horcrux," Severus muttered, "it would explain his ability to have possessed it for years, without killing it."

"Possibly, but if that is the case, it would have to have been around since before that night in Godric's Hallow. Lord Voldemort would not have been able to create a new Horcrux in wraith form."

Nodding, Severus met the blue eyes straight on. "I would assume you already have people in the area trying to capture the snake."

Albus Dumbledore gave him a half-smile. "I do. Several of the Auror Corp are investigating the reports and have been asked to let me know as soon as possible."

"All they have to do is cast a—"

"They were requested to take the snake alive." Dumbledore's eyes flicked to Rys. "I told them I might have a way to extract information out of it."

Rys stiffened and turned to look at Dumbledore, before looking as Severus, who gave him a reassuring smile. Rys would not be speaking with any deadly viper, unless there were many layers of protection around him.

"There is the possibility the snake hasn't been made a Horcrux, but is magical due to Voldemort's long-term possession of it." Dumbledore pointed out. "As such, it makes the creature all that more dangerous."

Severus, watching Rys nod his head, diverted Dumbledore's attention by picking up his cup of now tepid tea. "Unfortunately, either way, a snake that large is a danger to both Muggles and wizards. I do hope they find it soon."

Dumbledore shifted in his chair and leaned forward to pour himself more tea. "I have faith in Mad-Eye Moody and his squad, Severus, they will find it. Now, how are things progressing with the rest of your investigation."

It was all Severus could do not to roll his eyes. "Investigation, Headmaster?"

Teacup cradled in his hand, Dumbledore blew across the top and took a sip before speaking. "I believe you have been investigating ways of destroying the foul things when we find them."

Taking a moment to strengthen his Occlumency shields, Severus kept his face neutral. "It is one of the things I am working on, yes. I haven't had much success in locating any books which actually give information on how exactly a Horcrux is made. Without some type of information, I'm at a loss as to how they can be destroyed."

Dumbledore smirked before smiling. "I have faith you will preserver, Severus."

The conversation turned more general and Severus windlessly removed the spell around Rys, not that he believed it had done any good. They chatted for several minutes about the upcoming school year and some of the applicants Dumbledore had interview for Defense Against the Dark Arts professors. Severus recognized two of the candidates, both of whom were supporters of Dumbledore and neither one had any teaching experience or defense expertise. He listened with half an ear, making appropriate noises when expected, until Dumbledore pushed back from the table and stood.

"As much as I'd like to stay and chat, I have a meeting at the Ministry in half an hour." Dumbledore patted Rys on the head, something Rys hated, and stepped back. "I hope you enjoyed your lunch, Harry. Severus, I will see you soon."

With that, Dumbledore Apparated out of the restaurant and Severus shook his head.

"Daddy?" Rys leaned towards him, whispering. "I still don't like him!"

Severus gave him a smile, not wanting to discuss it too much in public. He gathered Rys, shrinking the sweets and putting them in his pocket; they walked out of the restaurant quietly, having no desire to draw the attention to themselves that Dumbledore did with his Apparation. Taking advantage of being in Hogsmeade, Severus guided Rys into the clothing store first, much to his son's displeasure, and then to the apothecary. Their purchases made, Severus Apparated them to the cottage, before Flooing through to the Headland house.




"Are you kidding me?" Sirius asked, his voice raising as the group sat in the sitting room that evening after the children were in bad.

Severus shook his head, a goblet of the excellent red wine Narcissa had brought cupped in his hand. "No, Dumbledore believes this snake was somehow brought here with the wraith and is now loose in the area around Stonehenge."

Kingsley cleared his throat. "Actually, Mad-Eye has a contingent of Aurors in the area looking for the bloody thing. Dumbledore somehow believes it is magical and, in some way, intelligent enough for independent reasoning."

"He eluded to something like that when he was speaking, nodding at Rys when he did," Severus told them, shaking his head. "He expects me to let Rys have a conversation with a deadly serpent!"

"I think not," Narcissa spoke for all of them as Hannah and Miss Lucy both muttered under their breaths about daff old men.

"Do you still think he made seven of the vile things?" Philip asked. "Bloody necromancer!"

"Severus!" Bernard jumped up, dragging a hand through his hair. "Do you remember when Griphook said something about heirlooms from the Gaunt and Slytherin lines had been used in necromancy?"

Frowning, Severus thought back over the conversation at Gringotts, the day he'd found out Dumbledore was responsible for him almost losing his inheritance. "Yes, he didn't mention what they were, but we were a little preoccupied with other things—"

"Dumbledore's theft of most of the Potter estate!" Sirius inserted with a growl.

"Gringotts should be able to retrieve those items, no matter where they are," Bernard added. "You just need to request they do it."

"Bernard?" Narcissa interjected. "Could Gringotts help us get into Bellatrix's dowry vault?"

"Dowry vault?" Bernard frowned and shot a questioning look at Severus.

Severus scowled and shook his head, turning to Narcissa. "You think the Dark Lord gave Bellatrix one of those things, too?"

Narcissa sighed and rubbed her forehead. "About the same time Lucius was strutting around with that diary, over which Bella had thrown a tantrum, the Dark Lord gave her a private audience. When it was over, my sister was overcome with joy and loudly told Lucius that 'precious gifts were better secured away' and asked me to go with her to Gringotts. She went to her dowry vault, which in itself was strange, and set a golden cup on a raised shelf, as if it were something holy."

Bernard dragged a hand down his face in agitation and Severus watched as Kingsley took it in his larger one. Severus leaned forward and put a hand on his other arm as Sirius jumped to his feet.

"I can access the vault as Lord Black!"

Bernard sighed. "That might actually work," he said, sounding relieved. "With Bellatrix sentenced to life in Azkaban, the vault should have reverted to the control of the Black family, specifically Sirius as the head of the family."

"And I was never given a trial and never convicted, so I still hold the title as well as the
control over all the family assets." Sirius continued pacing in front of the fireplace. "Is there anything I need to do before I can access Bella's vault, Bernard?"

Severus watched as Bernard shook his head and the two men decided on a time to meet the following afternoon. It was a relief to him to have identified another of the foul object, even if they had no idea what other priceless artifacts the madman might have defiled.

"Severus? Don't forget the interviews tomorrow morning," Remus reminded him as he prepared to follow Sirius through the Floo.

Severus resisted the urge to roll his eyes as he remembered that he'd agreed to help Sirius and Remus in screening applicants for the school. Four pure-blood families and a mixed blood family had petitioned to have their children join, but they had all agreed the village children had priority. None of them wanted the school to get too big, as it would defeat the purpose of a small, secure environment for the children. Nor did they want the potential disruption of any family that supported either faction.




Stepping from the Floo into Sirius' sitting room, Severus tightened his hold on Rys' hand so the child didn't tumble to the floor. His son flashed him a grin as he paused to hug Severus' legs before scampering towards the classroom.

"Stay clean, please!" Severus called after him as he spelled soot off his good robes.

"Yes, Dad!"

Severus sighed, knowing it was impossible for a 5-year-old to not get dirty, before glaring at Sirius and Bernard, who were smothering smiles as they watched from the kitchen doorway. Remus shoulder the two of them out of the way as he carried a mug of coffee in each hand, extending one to Severus. Taking it gratefully, Severus took a cautious sip before giving Remus a smile.

"Thank you, Remus."

"Drink up, Augusta Longbottom is our first interview." Remus sounded amused.

Severus grimaced; Lady Longbottom was a formidable witch. "I'm surprised she would allow her grandson to attend our school."

Remus rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand, an odd look on his face. "Actually, I got the impression she had chosen us because we welcome squibs as students."

"Odd for a family with the standing of the Longbottoms." Severus tilted his mug up and took the last swallow of coffee.

"I believe it may have something to do with the fact that young Neville hasn't shown any sign of magic yet."

"Every child is different," Severus replied, an eyebrow arching. "I thought the young Longbottom was able to shake the pile of toys last June."

Bernard waved a hand. "Lady Longbottom apparently attributed that to the non-existent wind."

Severus shook his head. "Poor child! No wonder he hasn't shown any accidental magic, the woman must have him scared to death."

"I'm not too worried about Augusta, but that brother of hers is another matter." Sirius carried in a tea tray. "Frank used to tell us some wild stories about him and his drinking. They always made it sound like he could get ugly at times."

Any comment was cut off by the whoosh of the Floo activating and Severus hurriedly set his mug down on the table as a tall, formidable witch stepped out, her hand clamped firmly on the shoulder of a pudgy, tow-headed little boy. Severus watched as the child stumbled, wincing as the hand tightened to hold him upright.

"Lord Black," Lady Longbottom said crisply, dipping her head slightly.

Sirius stepped forward; his arms spread in welcome. "Lady Longbottom, welcome to my home." He gave her a formal bow. "And this must be young Neville."

"Indeed." Lady Longbottom released Neville as her eyes scanned the room and Severus swore as she stiffened when she saw him.

Sirius smiled at Neville, before looking back at Augusta. "I'm sure you know Heir McBride, a member of our board."

Severus watched as Bernard greeted Lady Longbottom with a short bow of his own to which she acknowledged with a imperious nod of her head .

"And the third member of our board, Lord Prince, Potions Master Severus Snape."

Augusta met Severus' eyes, her brown eyes intense, assessing. Severus dipped his head, but didn't address the stern looking witch. She finally gave him a nod.

"Lord Prince."

Sirius showed the woman to a seat as Remus stepped forward. "Hello, Lady Longbottom, it's nice to see you again."

"Mr. Lupin."

Remus smiled and turned his attention to Neville. Crouching down, Remus looked Neville in the eyes.

"Hello, Neville, it's nice to meet you. I'm Mr. Lupin and I am the teacher here."

"Hello, sir." Neville answered softly, twisting his fingers nervously.

Severus watched as Remus gently guided the child back to the classroom, where Rys, Kyler, and Maya were playing. Once they had all seated themselves, Severus sat back and watched the interaction between Sirius, Bernard, and Lady Longbottom. Sirius oozed with charm and Severus had a hard time keeping his face neutral as he asked Augusta what she expected in a school for her grandson and then proceeded to tell her what their curriculum consisted of. Bernard mostly observed, adding his voice when there was a question regarding legality in either the charter of the school or the certification by the Ministry.

"-and we will be teaching the students about all the holidays, both traditional and modern."

Lady Longbottom narrowed her eyes. "Why? Won't that just confuse the children?"

Severus leaned forward. "Not at all, in fact, it broadens their understanding of different cultural celebrations and how each fit into others beliefs." He met her eyes. "In our home, my son and I celebrate Samhain, which gives him the opportunity to "speak" to his mother and stepfather each year."

Lady Longbottom stared at him for a long minute before giving a brisk nod and standing up. "I believe I've heard what I need to and will take the placement under advisement."

"Dad?" Rys appeared at his elbow, towing a bemused Neville. "This is my new friend, Neville; he knows everything about plants!"

Severus smiled and brought Rys around him a he stood. "I met Neville, Rys, and this is his grandmother, Lady Longbottom."

Rys looked up at Neville's grandmother and then bowed to her. "I'm please to meet you, Lady Longbottom."

"Quite," Lady Longbottom responded crisply. "Thank you for your time, gentlemen. Neville, come."

The two disappeared in a swirl of green and Severus resisted rolling his eyes, patting Rys on the shoulder. "Thank you for showing Neville around, son."

Rys smiled brightly as he headed back towards the classroom. Severus wished he could join the children as the next four interviews continued at regular intervals. Three old pure-blood families, at least one father a known Death Eater, and a half-blood whose mother was a financial supporter of the Dark Lord, none of who even bothered to bring their children. There was only one last interview and Severus sighed with relief as he was sure Rys and the May children were getting hungry by now.

The Floo activated once again and began spewing out a parade of red-headed children. Severus was barely able to hold his groan when Molly Weasley stepped out, holding her youngest child.

"Remus! Sirius! How very nice to see you!" Molly enveloped each man in a hug before turning towards Bernard and Severus. "Professor Snape and—"

Sirius stepped forward. "Molly, may I present Bernard McBride, Heir McBride and the third member of our board. Bernard, may I present Molly Weasley, wife of Heir Weasley."

Bernard inclined his head. "Mrs. Weasley, a pleasure to meet you."

"Mummy!" The youngest boy tugged at Molly's robes. "Where's Harry Potter? You said he'd—"

"Hush, Ron!" Molly shushed the boy who looked about Rys' age. "Percy, come take Ronnie and Ginny!"

Severus closed his eyes for a moment to quell the instant rage shooting through him, before pasting a neutral mask on his face. He knew the Weasley family from the Order meetings held during the first war; both Arthur and Molly were ardent supports of Albus Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix. The Prewett twins, Molly's brothers Gideon and Fabian, had died at the hands of the LeStranges and Lucius Malfoy, who had ambushed the brothers just outside Wiltshire on a mission for Dumbledore. While he and Rys enjoyed the company of William, and now, Charles, the newest Weasley at Hogwarts, who was more rambunctious, but still respectful.
As the oldest of the siblings stepped forward with a resigned look, Remus herded the entire flock towards the classroom.

"Molly," Sirius began, wiping a hand over his face. "You do realize we only have a few spots for new students?"

Molly leaned over to pat his hand. "I understand there are four students being accepted and, since Ginny is too little, this works out fine for the boys."

Bernard leaned forward. "Mrs. Weasley, let us be very clear; if this interview is successful, we may offer one position to whichever of your sons will fit in best with the other children."

Molly airily wave her hand. "Dumbledore will make an exception for the boys and he said they would qualify for the scholarship program."

Severus looked at Sirius before the both turned towards Bernard, whose face was pinched in annoyance. "Madam, Albus Dumbledore has no authority within this school and no say in any of its operations. We have no scholarship program, only full tuition for those children outside Hogsmeade who wish to attend!"

"But Albus said—"

"Hogsmeade Village School is a private, Ministry certified primary school, financed from a Black Family Trust for the children of Hogsmeade, magical and non-magical." Bernard recited from the school's charter. "Any vacant seats, not to exceed four in any school year, may be offered to interested non-residents for the fee of a thousand Galleons."

Molly stared at him and Severus almost felt sorry for her, along with her steadfast belief that Dumbledore was

"Now, Molly," Sirius said as he smiled charmingly. "If we were to accept one of your children, who would it be and why?"

Molly looked perplexed and Severus had to bite his cheek to keep from laughing. Her eyes narrowed but she didn't comment on Severus' expression. "Well, Percy is very studious and actually helps teach Ronnie his letters. The twins are smart, but have the attention span of a Niffler in a Gringotts vault. And Ronnie—"

As they were waiting for an answer, Rys appeared at Severus’ elbow with a disgruntled expression. Severus slid an arm around his son's shoulder, ignoring Molly's wide-eyed stare.

"What's the matter, son?"

Rys leaned towards him, whispering in his ear. "That boy with red-hair keeps calling me my old name! I don't like it, Dad!"

"—tries hard, but he loses patience when he doesn't understand what he is being taught. Once he grasps the subject, he's usually able to learn anything." Molly told them in a rush, her eyes still on Rys. "He's rather a mix of Percy and the twins."

Rys shifted against Severus' side and he gently squeezed him. Bernard shared a glance with Sirius before looking over at Severus, his eyes darting towards the classroom. Severus gave him a slight nod as he disentangled himself from Rys and stood.

"I'll walk you back to the others, Rys." Severus nudged his son forward with his thigh.

Rys grabbed his hand as they walked the short distance and Severus winced as they moved past Remus' sound ward, the noise level ratcheting up. The high-pitched squeal of excited children surprised Severus and he stopped in the doorway to take in the room. He noted Maya and the oldest Weasley boy colouring quietly at a small table, while the twins stood in the far corner of the room with Kyler and Ronnie. One of the twins held something above the younger boys' heads and their youngest brother was vehemently objecting to it being withheld.

"All right, boys, enough!" Remus reached over to pluck the item, a colouring quill, out of the twin's hand. "This is not appropriate behaviour for a classroom."

The older brother, Percy, shooting the twins a glare, beckoned Ronnie over to the table and handed him a Muggle crayon. Remus crouched down and, at eye level, explained quietly why their actions were not welcome in the school, even if it was their brother they were teasing. Rys skirted around them to join Kyler in the reading corner, keeping a wary eye on both the twins and Ronnie. Arching an eyebrow, Severus met Remus' eyes as he stood, watching as he took the twins firmly in hand.

Severus wasn't looking forward to the meeting after the Weasleys left.




"Daddy?"

Severus looked up from his lesson plans, something in Rys' soft voice put him on alert. "Yes, son?"

Rys gripped the book he was reading tightly, his eyes taking on a pleading look. "Did you and Uncle Sirius and Uncle Bernard decide who gets to come to school?"

Hiding a smile, Severus set his quill down and waved Rys over. He knew the child had been fairly vibrating with curiosity since they had gotten home that afternoon and was impressed he'd managed to last this long. Lifting Rys to his lap, Severus wrapped his arms around his son and kissed the top of his head.

"Ian and Ella from the village will join you and the others this September. We decided to invite Neville, as well."

Rys leaned his head back against Severus' shoulder and nodded, wrapping his hand around one of Severus' fingers, tracing around his nail. "And the red-headed ones?"

"You mean the Weasley children?" Severus frowned at the anxiety in Rys' voice.

Rys nodded, still playing with his fingers.

"We decided to ask Percy if he would like to come to school and help Remus with the students, while getting some special lessons to prepare him for Hogwarts." Severus paused when Rys nodded his head. "And we told their mother we would take the twins—" He felt Rys stiffen a little. "who would share the last spot, both attending class each Friday, but Fred will come to school on Monday and Tuesdays, and George Wednesday and Thursdays."

Rys tilted his head back to look up at Severus with wide eyes. "Are you 'llowed to make twins go to school by themselves?"

Severus nodded, smiling as he brushed a hand through Rys' silky hair. "Remus actually thinks it would do them good to be apart for a bit each week. They can learn to be a bit more independent."

His forehead creased and then smoothed as Rys smiled at him. "That’s a brilliant idea, Dad! I liked them, but not that other boy."

Cupping the back of Rys' head, Severus leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Don't dismiss Ronnie all together, son, he might mature into a fabulous friend in a year or so."

Rys wrinkled his nose at the suggestion and Severus bit his cheek not to laugh. He had no doubt Dumbledore would like nothing better than to have Rys become friends with the youngest Weasley son, but unless the child became less rambunctious, Severus didn't see it happening. Neville seemed more like Rys, quieter, shyer, and more studious. Perhaps Neville would be a good addition to Rys' friends, with Kyler and Draco. There was no guarantee the Hogsmeade children would attend Hogwarts, due to the cost, and Remus had already mentioned expanding the village school for them. Severus knew he was working on a formal proposal to the school board and Severus didn't have any objection to the school continuing to serve the children as they got older.

Severus pushed his chair way from the table and scooped Rys into his arms, the child squealing with delight. "I think its bath time, sweet boy."

"Will you read me a story before bed, Daddy?" Rys looped his arms around Severus' neck.

"You are learning to read, sweet boy, you should read it yourself."

Rys snuggled closed. "But you make all the voices and it makes me sleep gooder—"

"Better."

"—better. Please, Daddy?"

"If I must." Severus sighed dramatically to Rys' delight.




Severus awoke with a start, wand instantly in hand as he threw his covers aside. The silvery form of a bulldog paced patiently at the end of his bed.

"Severus, we need you and Rys to meet us at Gringotts at half past seven."

Checking the time, Severus found it was almost quarter of seven already and paused only long enough to send a message back to Bernard. Severus called for Masly and asked for a portable breakfast for both of them. Hurrying through his morning routine, Severus was showered and dressed in under fifteen minutes, heading into Rys' room. Changing the child into shirt, pants, and trousers before waking him up, Severus picked him up and carried him into the bathroom.

"Come on, sweet boy, your godfathers need us this morning." Severus told him softly as Rys rubbed his eyes and yawned. "Toilet, then teeth, and I'll make you a bacon sandwich, alright?"

Rys nodded and moved toward the toilet as Severus returned to the kitchen. Masly had set out a black cup of coffee, cooled just enough so he didn't burn his mouth, and Severus drank deeply. It was only five minutes later Rys joined him, toothpaste residue trailing down his chin and hair unbrushed. Severus put him to rights with a wave of his hand, grabbed the bag Masly held out of him and picked Rys up. He didn't know what Bernard needed, but it had better be important, Severus thought as he stepped through the Floo into the ornate lobby at Gringotts.

"Lord Prince, welcome," a young goblin who Severus didn't know bowed his head.

Severus nodded back, while Rys blinked sleepily, content to let himself be carried as Severus followed the goblin down a darkened corridor. A door swung open and Severus was gestured into an ornate office with the oldest goblin Severus had ever seen. Pausing just inside the door, he could see both Bernard and Sirius sitting in front of a large, desk. Setting Rys down, Severus waited until the goblin looked up from the parchment he was reading to acknowledge him.

"Lord Prince and Heir," The goblin said in a gravelly voice, giving Rys a hard stare. "Thank you for coming, I am Ragnuk the Third.

Severus straightened, concealing his reaction behind a neutral mask as he bowed his head respectfully. Rys followed his example and bowed deeply, the King's eyes never leaving him.

"I am honored," Severus moved to sit in the chair that appeared next to Bernard and lifted Rys onto his lap.

Ragnuk tilted his head towards the sleepy child. "I am told you recently removed an – abomination from the child."

At Severus' nod, the goblin clicked his fingers and a fuzzy image appeared to hover over his desk. "This represents the appearance of the shard within the child when you brought your son to Gringotts earlier this year." He clicked his fingers again. "And this is the image of the same area now."

Severus leaned forward, noting the several small scar-like lesions still visible in the scan, and nodded. "Healer May is working on minimizing those scars with a combination of Brain Ease and Scar Remover."

The King grunted which Severus took as an acknowledgment. Rys leaned forward as well, fingers tracing the little white lines in the air.

"I take my potion two times a day, sir, so I can be all better."

Ragnuk gave him what could only be the goblin equivalent of a smile. "Very wise, young one, as your father and healer are extremely talented." He leaned a tad closer and continued in a mock whisper. "Do you think your father would be willing to help my people with their potion making?"

"Oh, yes, sir!" Rys agreed enthusiastically.

"And, if your father agrees, I am hoping you might be able to help me."

Rys nodded eagerly. "Yes, Mr. King!"

Severus put a firm hand on Rys shoulder, delighted when Rys looked back at him instead of flinching. "What is it you need my son to assist with?"

Ragnuk gestured at Sirius. "Lord Black requested we remove an artifact from a vault he is technically, but not literally, in control of. However, when the vault was opened by our arbitrator, we discovered a stolen Goblin wrought artifact. Based on the information we have and a scan of the object, we believe it is most probably another soul shard. However, I have been told young Heir Prince has a sensitivity to magic and might be able to make a determination on whether it is, without touching the artifact."

Severus felt Rys shift but he remained quiet, waiting for his dad's permission and Severus couldn't help but smile. "I'm sure my son would be honoured to assist, Sir."

With a snap of Ragnuk's fingers, a small square metal box appeared on the desk in front of him. A nod to Rys was the only warning before the top of the box levitated upwards and Severus felt Rys stiffen immediately.

"It's Dark, sir," Rys whispered, even as he pressed himself back against Severus.

"The same Dark as the dia—crown we found?" Severus asked Rys quietly.

Rys' continued to stare at the box. "Yes, Daddy."

"We will take it, then—" Sirius leaned forward, reaching out.

The King held up his up, his eyes still on Rys' pale face. "What, may I ask, Lord Prince, did you use to eliminate the—"

Severus understood what Ragnuk was asking and he tightened his hold on his son. "Basilisk venom has proven to be effective. I utilized it on one of the other Horcruxes and while a bit explosive, it accomplished the deed handily."

Ragnuk leaned forward, his expression was actually a bit scary. "You have access to basilisk venom, Lord Prince?"

"Custos," Rys shared his friend's name.

"I do," Severus answered, watching the King. "A living source, in fact."

"I would be willing to negotiate for a such a precious commodity," Ragnuk told him casually.

"I believe this is where I come in," Bernard took over, rubbing his hands together.




The new term started in the middle of the hottest heat wave Scotland had seen in many years. Even the dungeons were affected and Severus found he had to put cooling charms around his storerooms and isolate the more volatile ingredients to cooling boxes. Students were made to revise information from prior years and in the case of first years, learn to properly prepare each of the more common potion ingredients. Tempers flared amoung the students and there were several corridor duels within the first ten days, until the more hotheaded of the students send their Houses into negative points and every bathroom in the castle gleamed from scrubbing. The sight of gray clouds and rain on the Great Hall ceiling had each of the teachers sighing in relief. Even the usually sour-faced retired Auror, who had been hired as this year's Defense professor, seemed less acerbic.

Severus did make note of the fact that Dumbledore was gone much of the time during the first weeks of the term, something Severus was thankful for. Although Severus would have preferred to be able to keep an eye on the headmaster, he knew Rys, the house-elves, and even the castle herself seemed more relaxed when he was gone. The energy of the students was up and disciplinary issues abated.

Rys was thriving. He greatly enjoyed his lessons, had made fast friends with the Longbottom child, who fit in seamlessly with Kyler and Draco. All the boys liked Percy Weasley and his patient help with their reading and maths. None of the four had older siblings and Percy, as a middle child, had never had anyone look up to him. Fred and George proved to be a handful, more so on Mondays when they were in class together, but both proved to be intelligent and good students individually. Severus was unsurprised, knowing how curious his son was, when Rys mastered reading and became a veracious reader. Both he and Draco lost their two front teeth at the same time and Rys took it stoically, Severus less so. In his opinion, Rys was growing up too fast.

Early in October, Severus retrieved the stone urn from his lab at the Headlands house and, with Bernard, Sirius, and Kingsley, Flooed directly into Ragnuk's office at Gringotts. The Horcruxes were taken to a chamber deep within the Goblin mines and placed in a reinforced pit. Standing a safe distance away, Severus levitated an open vial of basilisk venom over the pit as Ragnuk shattered it with a snap of his fingers. Remnants of two wraiths writher together and screeched an unholy sound, before imploding together.

The locket, however, had not reacted, a problem they had anticipated when they had found no way to open it. Severus withdrew a second vial of venom from his outer pocket, and hissed the command his son had taught him to open the door into the Chamber. Ignoring his companions shouted warnings, Severus leaned over the pit to pour several drops of venom directly into the locket. A pulse of pure hate and evil hit him and the screeching Severus heard was eerily like that of an enraged Dark Lord.
Only Kingsley's quick reflexes saved Severus from tumbling into the deadly venom splattered pit.

Bernard had negotiated a lucrative deal with the King for various basilisk parts, including venom, scales, and shed skin. Custos had been more than cooperative, especially when he learned his venom would be used to destroy the evil one's soul pieces. With part of the proceeds, Severus made arrangements with the house-elves to ensure Custos always had enough to eat. A vow of secrecy with the King Ragnuk allowed Severus to have the goblins clean and reinforce the structure of the Chamber for stability. Hogwarts gave her approval as a doorway appeared under the tapestry of Merlin, which lead down to Slytherin's office and she sealed off any other entrance from inside the castle. Custos was happier with the increase in activity and had appointed himself resident expert on which areas needed shoring up and how to redo other areas for more efficiency. Of course, no one could understand except Rys, who dutifully reported them to Severus. The house-elves and goblins soon become used to his sing-song hissing and the bravest amoung them even petted the basilisk when Custos came close enough to touch.

The destruction of the three Horcruxes made everyone ecstatic, both human and goblin, knowing they were making real progress against the Dark Lord. Severus noticed the Dark Mark on his left forearm had faded to faint gray lines, but wasn't completely gone, indicating there was at least one additional soul shard left. There had been a lengthy discussion with Ragnuk as to what other artifacts could have been utilized to make and he agreed have trusted goblins begin searching for any additional items that might be suspect, especially after Severus gave him permission to search those vaults which belonged to himself and Rys.

Narcissa, Hannah, and Miss Lucy had thrown themselves into researching Salazar Slytherin and what other artifacts he might have used during his lifetime. They had turned the rooms in the Chamber upside down but hadn't found any additional Horcruxes. Rys and Custos had watched from what Severus felt was a safe distance and laughed as things were thrown into the air and furniture shook itself like a wet dog. In the end, they had found a treasure trove of Slytherin's possessions, but none which had been made into a Horcrux.

The best thing to come out of the trips down into the Chamber of Secret was the discovery that Rys could still speak Parseltongue, proving it was an inherited trait instead of something he'd acquired from the Horcrux he'd housed in his head for years.




The summons ten days prior to Samhain from Albus Dumbledore surprised Severus, especially coming just before curfew. Rys was sound asleep, his unicorn held tightly to his chest as Scamp slept on his pillow, and Severus was finishing up some abysmal first-year essays when Dumbledore's patronus came through the wall, with the invitation to come up to his office. Severus narrowed his eyes at the timing and even the silvery phoenix seemed skittish.

"Masly?" Severus called as he stood and reached for his teaching robes.

The house-elf popped in quietly. "Master Severus?"

Severus slid his arm into one sleeve. "Take Rys and Scamp to Sirius and stay with them until I call you. Tell Sirius I've been summoned to Dumbledore's office."

Masly nodded before heading into Rys' room and Severus continued moving toward the door. "Altar!"

The Hogwarts Head house-elf appeared almost soundlessly. "How can Altor serve Master Severus?"

"I've been summoned to the Headmaster's office and am concerned someone might try and bypass the protective spells on our rooms. Can you seal the doors to everyone until I get back, please?"

"Yes, Master Severus!"

Checking his pockets automatically for his emergency potions kit and Summoning his wand from his desk, Severus did up the buttons on his robes with a wave of his hand. He took a look around the room quickly before heading out the door, leaving Altor standing near the tapestry of Merlin. Severus strode up out of the dungeons at his usual pace, eyes and ears open for stray students as he headed up the moving staircases. For once, they actually cooperated, taking him immediately to the seventh floor landing and Severus gave silent thank to Hogwarts herself.

The gargoyle jumped aside as Severus approached and he took the steps two at a time on the moving stairs. Thankful for the energetic child who kept him fit, Severus wasn't even winded as he knocked on the wooden door.

"Come in, Severus."

Pushing the door open, Severus stepped into the brightly lit office to see Dumbledore sitting behind his desk, a tea tray sitting on the edge, studying a document. Severus stepped down, standing beside the maroon and gold chintz chair as he waited to be acknowledged. There was a grim look on the man's face when he finally looked up.

"Ah, sit, sit! My apologies for calling you so late, Severus," Dumbledore said, folding his hands over the parchment. "Can I offer you tea?"

"No, thank you." Severus sat down, crossing his legs and folding his arms across his chest.

"I hope I didn't inconvenience you or Harry with the late hour, however, I wasn't sure this could wait until morning." Dumbledore stirred in two teaspoons of sugar into his cup., glancing up at Severus over his spectacles.

Severus remained silent, knowing it wouldn't do him any good to get impatient. Dumbledore had his own timeline. After adding still another teaspoon of sugar into the tea, Dumbledore took a ship and sighed with pleasure before setting it down. He looked up, making eye contact with Severus as he tapped the parchment with his forefinger.

"There have been several sightings of a large green snake outside of Clydebank and Dumbarton." Dumbledore paused to sip his tea, "The description is far larger than the native adders and completely the wrong colour."

Severus uncrossed his arms and leaned forward. "So, you truly believe the serpent is magical, then?"

Dumbledore nodded slowly. "I believe Tom possessed the snake for some length of time and shared many of his memories with it."

Skeptical, Severus arched an eyebrow. "Surely even if the Dark Lord possessed the serpent for the past four years, could he have actually imparted intelligence to the beast?"

Stroking his beard, Dumbledore sat back with a thoughtful look on his face. "I suspect the snake may not be all she appears to be."

Severus frowned. "An Animagus?"

"Possibly, or perhaps even a Maledictus. I would find that more in character for Tom, really."

Searching his mind for what a Maledictus was, Severus caught something else in Dumbledore's statement. "That is the second time you have mentioned the name Tom, Headmaster."

"Tom Marvolo Riddle," Dumbledore told him, eyes intense on Severus, "was Lord Voldemort birth name."

"Riddle?" There was something about the name which sounded familiar to Severus, but he couldn't think of why. "I don't recognize it as a pure-blood name."

"It isn't," Dumbledore said, a gleeful tone to his voice. "It is the surname of his Muggle father, a minor aristocrat who lived in Little Hangleton."

Schooling his face into a neutral mask, Severus fixed his gaze at a point over Dumbledore's right shoulder. "The Dark Lord is a half-blood." Just stating it aloud made him want to cringe. "His followers will be displeased with that information."

Dumbledore combed his fingers through his beard. "Perhaps, if they knew of it, but alas, none of them—"

Shaking his head, Severus surged to his feet. "Then tell them!"

"No Death Eater would believe me, I'm afraid." Dumbledore continued to stroke his beard, eyes intent on Severus' face.

"Perhaps you need to make sure this information is whispered in the right ears, Headmaster," Severus sneered, allowing some of his agitation to bleed through. "It might be enough to stop Malfoy and his collaborators from their Samhain –"

"Halloween, Severus."

Dumbledore corrected him with a casual wave of his hand and Severus felt his lip curl in distain.

"No, Headmaster, Samhain, when the Veil between the living and the world beyond is at it's thinnest, when they believe they can pull a dead man AND his soul back! Not Halloween, a Muggle children's holiday introduced by early Christians to replace the traditional celebration at the end of the harvest to honour our ancestors and Lady Magic herself."

Dumbledore waved away Severus' earnest words. "Regardless, my boy, perhaps we can quickly start the rumor and see how it goes. Please let me know if you hear anything from your sources."

Stiffly, Severus spun on his heel and strode out of the office, not relaxing his posture until he stood in front of his quarters. A slight smudge on the adjacent wall caught his eye and Severus' eyes narrowed in fury as he stepped back. His wand slid smoothly into his hand and he cast a non-verbal detection spell, not surprised when the door frame and wall glowed red. Several advanced charms canceled out the monitoring and eavesdropping spells on the entrance and Severus made sure it was free of all foreign magic before stepping into his rooms.

"Master Severus." Altor bowed low. "T'was the Defense Professor be trying to get in."

Severus nodded, not surprised at all – anyone who was mentored by Moody would be in Dumbledore's pocket. "Thank you, Altor. You might want to keep an eye on him."

Altor tilted his head. "Alls the house-elves are watching, Master Severus." He disappeared with a crack.

Flooing through to Sirius' house, Severus found not only Sirius and Remus, but Bernard, Kingsley, and Narcissa as well, waiting in the lounge. "This is unexpected," he stated as he collapsed onto the couch next to Narcissa.

Sirius leaned forward and pointed at Bernard and Kingsley. "Those two came through just after Masly brought Rys and Narcissa just got here. What was it Dumbledore wanted this late in the evening?"

Severus rubbed a hand across his forehead as he felt a headache starting. "To tell me that bloody great snake had been seen south of here and to suggest it was more than a mere serpent."

"That falls in line with the reports we've gotten at the Ministry," Kingsley told them.

"Then, Dumbledore casually mentions that the Dark Lord was the son of a Muggle Lord named Riddle, who came from Little Hangleton—"

"What!" Narcissa exclaimed, grabbing onto Severus' arm. "What did you say?"

Severus stared at her unusual reaction. "The part about the Dark Lord being a half-blood or the Little Hangleton part?"

"Tom Riddle!" Narcissa whispered, fingers tightening. "His name was on the diary."

"Voldemort wasn't a pure-blood?" Remus asked, disbelievingly.

"No—"

Severus' answer was drowned out by Sirius' laughter. Kingsley and Bernard glanced at each other before they, too, began laughing. While Severus could understand why it was funny that the most ruthless blood supremist wasn't a pure-blood himself, but his mind was still swirling with possible ramifications to their carefully laid plans.

"Bloody hell—" he was cut off mid-curse.

"Severus," Narcissa hissed, tugging on his arm. "Little Hangleton was one of the locations Lucius was going to explore tonight!"

"Bloody hell!" Sirius swore, leaping to his feet. "We need to find out what the connection is and—"

Remus pulled him back down beside him. "Settle down! It's not going to help if we go haring off with no idea what to look for!"

"Yes," Severus rubbed a hand over his forehead. "Bernard, you have the research documents you and Narcissa have done into the ancient bloodlines, especially the Sacred Twenty-eight? Can you get them? We need to trace the Slytherin line back until we find where Riddle belongs on the family tree, especially the lines that wouldn't carry the Slytherin name, but would make a son the heir." He looked at his friend. "I can't believe the locket would have been the only Slytherin artifact Riddle would wanted to collect."

"What are you going to do?" Sirius asked as Bernard immediately Flooed away.

Severus turned to Narcissa. "Are you able to stay for a bit? Is Draco here or—"

"I brought him with me." Narcissa's expression spoke volumes. "I refuse to leave him in the Manor without me anymore, so we put him in with Rys."

"Good." Severus stood and silently Summoned the magical topography map of Britain Remus used in the classroom. "We need to concentrate on Little Hangleton, though not where Riddle's Muggle father lived, but his mother's relatives."

"Why?" Kingsley asked as he followed Severus to the kitchen table.

"I would have to believe the Dark Lord would detest his Muggle heritage and would have been more likely to hide something at the residence where Slytherin's last blood had dwelled." Narcissa suggested.

Severus nodded as he tapped the name of the town and watched as the area was magnified. It wasn't an area of England Severus was familiar with, the closest place he knew was Surrey, two hundred miles to the south. The map showed a small village between two steep hills, an old church with a graveyard, and a large manor house on one hill overlooking the valley. At the foot of the one hill, outside the village, was marked the location of one small building labeled Guant Shack. The large house was marked Riddle Manor and a building in the village called The Hanged Man.

"Guant?' Sirius frowned. "That's one of the Twenty-eight families. The name is too unusual to be anything else."

The Floo flared as he spoke and Bernard stepped out with an untidy pile of parchment shaved under his arm. "I am such a ruddy idiot! I was entirely too focused on the Slytherin line, without checking the families who married into the line."

Kingsley jumped forward and caught Bernard's arm as he uncharacteristically stumbled from the fireplace, steadying him. Bernard kept shaking his head.

"It was the last daughter of the Guant line that gave birth to Tom Riddle and only lived long enough to bless him with his Muggle father's name."

"So, there might be something hidden in that house, possibly another Horcrux," Remus suggested thoughtfully. "Even if this is a truly a shack, this family was the last direct descendants of Salazar Slytherin – they had to have had some sort of family heirlooms."

Narcissa eagerly moved to the table where Bernard was now laying out the documents he had brought with him. "Lucius has been consumed with the Deathly Hallows lately, especially the Resurrection Stone."

Bernard tapped his finger on what looked like a family tree as Severus leaned closer. "Cadmus Peverell was gifted the stone by Death, according to the legend, which he is said to have used to create a ring made of gold. The stone itself is only described as dark with the Peverell crest etched on the top."

"It's one of the Hallows." Severus could have smacked himself. "I should have realized—"

Sirius gave him an incredulous look. "We are all rather new at this, Severus, especially trying to think like an insane, narcissistic Dark Lord. Hell, I never would have believed the Deathly Hallows were even real!"

"Or that the wand, the cloak, and the stone were actually artifacts," Kingsley interjected. "Even those of us who had the proper pure-blood upbringings weren't told the tale was anything other than a children's story. My grandfather Shaklebolt was especially proud of our family's status as part of the Twenty-eight, but he never mentioned the Hallows, other than as a children's tale."

"More like it was a cautionary tale about greedy," Narcissa added, brow creased in thought. "And if the Potters received the cloak originally given to Ignotus, then the Death wand would have come to you, Severus, through the line originating with Antioch."

"Which means your son, Severus, will be the rightful Master of Death," Remus whispered, his face paling.

"That prophecy Dumbledore keeps going on about!" Kingsley grabbed Bernard's arm.

Severus shivered as a chill ran down his spine. He'd completely forgotten the thrice-damned prophecy the headmaster had used as an excuse to put Rys with his abusive relatives. He was acutely aware of the fact that he'd only heard a portion of what was said.

"'—he will have power the Dark Lord knows not—'" Severus muttered, looking at the Peverell family tree, his stomach twisting.

"If it is a true prophecy, it will be in the Hall of Prophecies, in the Ministry," Bernard said thoughtfully. "Perhaps it is time for us to collect it before someone else shows interest."

Kingsley tapped his finger on his chin. "I don't think just anyone can retrieve a prophecy."

A headache was building behind his eyes and Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. "It would seem we need to focus on two things: finding out about the Guants and where they might have left that ring and how we get into the Ministry to retrieve the accursed prophecy."

They all agreed as everyone gathered around the table and began to plan.




Severus moved silently under the invisibility cloak, following two steps behind Kingsley as they walked down a dark hallway in the Department of Mysteries. Rys remained alert but quiet as Severus carried him pressed against his chest. Severus had gone over Rys' role in retrieving the prophecy and explained the best he could why it was so important. His son had looked at him and calmly told Severus he didn't want the creepy old man to get it first. Severus wasn't sure if Rys was referring to Dumbledore or the Dark Lord.

Seeing Kingsley's wand suddenly in his hand, Severus slowed his steps and took in the imposing door in front of them. Several flicks of the long wand and the door opened with a tiny squeak, amplified in the silent corridor. They all stiffened for a moment, but when nothing else happened, Kingsley slowly entered the mammoth storeroom with Severus at his heels. The moment Rys had crossed the threshold, about a third of the way down, the end of one of the hundreds of storage rows began to flash. Pushing the hood away from his face, Severus exchanged a brief look with Kingsley before following the Auror quickly down to row ninety-seven. Set about a halfway along the two-meter-long shelves, in a middle row, a small round orb glowed white.

"Almost too easy," Severus muttered under his breath, pausing long enough for Kingsley to cast several detection spells, before moving forward.

As they approached the blinking globe, Severus eased the cloak back so Rys was able to move a bit. Kingsley repeated his detections spells and held up his free hand.

"There is an alarm spell based on motion which will activate should it be lifted, as well as a tracking spell on the orb itself," Kingsley whispered.

Severus nodded, knowing they would alert Dumbledore at the least and possibly the entire Ministry at worst. He had heard at least the first half of the prophecy and knew it by heart, so it was only the second half they needed. Surely, between he and Kingsley, they could remember it.

"Rys?" Severus hurriedly withdrew an empty potions vial from his pocket and transfigured it into a small hammer. "I need you to carefully hit the globe with this, just hard enough to break the glass. Can you do that?"

"Yes, Daddy," Rys whispered back as he took the hammer and leaned towards the shelf.

Kingsley took up a cover position, watching behind them and down the row they stood in as Rys carefully brought the hammer down on the top of the prophecy. He gave it a sharp tap and broke a hole in the top. The ghostly figure of Sybil Trelawny swirled up from the inside, speaking in a harsh, raspy voice:

…born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will ...


His heart seemed to skip a beat as the voice trailed off into silence. Rys squirmed in his arms as Severus turned his head slightly to meet Kingsley's horrified eyes. A jerk of the dark head reminded Severus of where they were and he followed Kingsley down the row of shelves as he repositioned the cloak over he and Rys. The hole Rys had made in the globe hadn't moved it, but he didn't want to take any chance they had triggered some other spell or charm.

Every sense was straining as they stepped out of the Hall of Prophecies and moved back down the long hallway towards the lift. They were almost there when Severus heard the sound of footsteps coming their way. He immediately pressed his back against the wall and continued to move on silently as Kingsley stepped into the middle of the corridor, his wand raised.

"Dawlish? That you?"

The other man, dressed in Auror robes, held the lighted tip of his wand up which threw light over Kingsley. "Shacklebolt? What are you doing here?"

Kingsley lowered his wand. "I was doing a routine patrol of the lower area and thought I heard a noise, but couldn't find anyone down this hallway."

Dawlish laughed and dragged a hand through his already rumpled brown hair. "Yeah, Scrimgeour thought he heard the bleep of an alarm, but nothing seems out of line." He shook his head. "I'm not going further if you've already check, besides its time for my tea."

Severus preceded the two Aurors back to the lift, sliding in just before the doors closed and stepping off when the lift opened on the mezzanine floor. He knew Kingsley would join them at the Headlands house when he was able to. Severus moved behind a column before removing the cloak and stepping onto an Apparation pad. He pushed the Prophecy to the back of his mind as he felt the pull of Apparation, holding tightly to his son.

The sitting room was empty when they arrived and Severus gave Rys a hug before he set him on his feet. "Very well done, sweet boy!"

Rys beaming smile faltered a little after a moment. "What did it mean, Daddy?"

Severus crouched down to Rys' level so they were eye to eye. "I'm not sure, son, but we will go over it with Bernard, Sirius, Remus, and the others when they get here. Now, did you want to eat before we do the Samhain ritual?"

Severus and Rys left Hogwarts for the Headlands house just before dinner as had become their custom on this particular day. Since he'd had custody of his son, Severus had always spent the evening of Samhain talking to Rys about his mum and step-dad and then performing a simple ritual of thanks and love to those beyond the Veil.

"Yes, please!" Rys grinned at him and took his hand, leading an amused Severus toward the kitchen.

By the time Kingsley and Bernard arrived, quickly followed by Remus and Sirius, they had tomato soup and cheese sandwiches on the table. Severus knew Philip was on shift at St. Mungo's and Hannah was keeping the children home. Narcissa and Draco would arrive as soon as Lucius left for the ritual planned at the cemetery in Little Hangleton. The weather, for once, seemed to be cooperating, being cool and
a bit foggy but dry.

"Well?" Remus prompted, uncharacteristically impatient as he and Sirius sat down.

It was, as Severus had learned, expected less than forty-eight hours prior to the full moon and he wasn't offended. "We managed to accomplish our mission for the most part, even if it didn't go as we expected."

Between Severus and Kingsley, they filled the others in on what had happened at the Ministry. While Severus was hesitant to repeat the Prophecy again in front of Rys, he knew a Silencing Charm wouldn't work and went ahead with a sigh. Rys didn't lift his head from his soup as the adults talked over his head. The conversation shifted to the ritual which was being performed that evening, in the most generic terms they could. All of them knew how intuitive Rys was and didn't want to upset him.

Narcissa and Draco stepped from the Floo just as the men were getting ready to begin the journey to Little Hangleton. Severus had been elected to stay there, on the argument that he would easily be recognized by Malfoy or any of the other Death Eaters expected to be present. Kingsley and Bernard were to take up positions on the edge of the cemetery, while Sirius, wearing the invisibility cloak would attempt to get into the Guant shack while attention was diverted with Remus standing guard. No sane Muggle would get near a place like that on All Hallows Eve.

Rys seemed uneasy and was clingy when he said goodbye to both Bernard and Sirius. "Be careful!" he admonished all the men as they Flooed to Bernard's office in London.

Severus knew the men would Apparate from there, making several small Apparations, until they arrived in the alley behind the Hanged Man pub. Kingsley and Sirius had scouted the area the day before, set up Muggle Repelling Charms and a Notice-Me-Not Spell so they wouldn't been seen. Wishing them all luck, Severus had squeezed Bernard's arm in thanks as the men disappeared into the Floo, knowing they were all taking a possibly fatal chance to protect his son that night. Lucius and his fellow Death Eaters would have no mercy if any of them were caught.

Suppressing his concerns, Severus shared a long look with Narcissa, before heading outside to perform their own small Samhain ritual. He knew the bonfire would distract the boys, especially Rys, who understood his godfathers and uncles were going to see if they could find what they hoped was the last of the Horcruxes. If there was any question, Rys would need to see if he could sense the Dark magic in the ring they expected to find.

Taking the boys' hands, Severus and Narcissa walked along the beach path to the edge of the protective wards, at a spot which overlooked the water. There he had set up a small altar earlier with Masly's help, with baskets of root vegetables, pumpkins, and bowls of seeds. Severus knew Rys had gotten very interested in Wizarding rituals and legends, especially with Narcissa teaching the children every week on the old traditions. No one wanted the children to miss out on the Muggle holidays, especially those created for children. Of all the students in their school, it was only the Weasley family who exclusively celebrated the Muggle holidays; the rest celebrated a combination of traditional and Christian.

Rys help Severus light the two orange candles on their side of the altar while Draco assisted Narcissa with the two brown candles on the other side. Jugs of mulled cider were surrounded by pomegranates and apples sitting on top of a deep red cloth. A breeze off the ocean made the candles flicker and a waning moon peeked out from behind a high cloud.

Taking Rys right hand in his left, Severus held out his other hand to Draco and Narcissa stepped in to complete a circle in front of the altar. Being the eldest, Narcissa began the ritual saying with all of them joining in:

"O little flame that burns so bright, be a beacon on this night. Light the path for all the dead, that they may see now what’s ahead. And lead them to the Summerland and shine until the Goddess takes their hands. And with Your light, Mother Earth, please bring them peace, that they may rest and sleep with ease."

An ethereal light swirled up from the center of the altar and widened to encompass the area around it. Vague images appeared with in the light and Severus gasped as he saw a flash of golden red hair.

"Lily—" he breathed as he felt Rys hand tighten in his.

"Mummy?" Rys whispered as he stared into the light. "Daddy James?"

Severus heard Narcissa' sharp intake of breath but was too busy watching Lily open her arms to he and Rys to pay much attention. The figures were Patronus-like in appearance, not sharp enough to see expressions but Severus could swear he could smell the perfume Lily always wore. Rys pressed against his leg, but didn't let go of his hand as he watched the moving images with wide eyes.

As the circle of light began to shrink, Severus felt a burning pain in his left forearm. Rys hand tightened in his as he felt the pain through their bond. Suddenly, the pain became almost unbearable and Severus fell to his knees.

"Daddy!" Rys shouted, breaking the circle to wrap both his hands around Severus' wrist.

"Merlin! Severus, your arm!" Narcissa said sharply.

Turning his arm slightly against Rys' hard grip and Severus could make out a trail of dark particles coming from his sleeve. His skin felt like the Dark Mark was being branded once more into his flesh and the glow behind them showed the particles had taken the form of a writhing serpent. The shadow image of Lily extended her hand and pulled the image into the light just before it vanished. Severus sagged as the pain receded from his forearm.

"Dad!"

Rys was trying to help Severus up by pushing on his arm, almost throwing him off balance before Narcissa grabbed Severus by the shoulder. Between them, Severus managed to get unsteadily to his feet just as the wind whipped around them and extinguished the candles. Narcissa immediately had her wand up and the tip lit, providing light.

"Let's get you to the house," Narcissa told him firmly. "Boys, run in front of us and open the door, but hold hands and don't let go of each other."

By the time Severus stepped into the house he felt more like himself but allowed Rys to grab his arm and drag him to the couch. Seeing his son's pale face, Severus pulled Rys onto his lap and gave him a hug.

"I'm fine, sweet boy."

Rys snuggled closer, his fingers playing with the buttons on his shirt cuff as Masly popped in with a tea tray. Narcissa and Draco had just sat down beside them when the Floo activated and Remus stepped out. He was followed by Bernard, Kingsley, and a slightly singed Sirius. They all appeared to be shocked and stared at each other as they found places to sit.

"Uncle Sirius," Rys piped up. "Why do you smell like fire?"

Sirius gave him a grin and winked. "Keeping the Wizarding world safe, my boy!"

Severus rolled his eyes as Remus cuffed Sirius on the back of the head. Rys pressed closer, his fingers continuing to play with the buttons on Severus' cuff. Everyone stared at each other for another moment as tea was passed out and prepared.

"Were you successful?" Narcissa finally prompted.

"We believe so, although in an unusual fashion," Bernard answered quietly as Kingsley scratched the back of his neck almost sheepishly. "Kingsley and I watched as Malfoy set up an altar near a large headstone with the name Riddle on it. He actually exhumed bones from the grave, but it was hard to tell whose bone he actually used, as a number of different bones popped up from the area of the marker." Bernard shook his head. "While Malfoy began to chant what we assumed to be the Resurrection ritual he'd chosen, Crabbe Apparated to the Guant shack."

Remus picked up the story. "It was obvious Crabbe felt this was beneath him as he gingerly picked his way up to the door, only to find someone had nailed a rather large snake to it."

"I don't know what spells he used to get the door open," Sirius interjected, voice disgusted, "but he was loud and impatient."

"He stepped over the threshold and just as he did, there was a horrendous screeching sound from inside and Crabbe came running out." Remus shook his head. "He must have thought that whatever it was, was actually chasing after him and cast Fiendfyre into the shack."

"Bloody—" Severus bit off his curse, unable to fathom how stupid the man was. "Did he survive?"

Sirius and Remus exchanged a look, Remus speaking. "The curse consumed the shack and while Crabbe was trying to control it, there was an inhuman scream, much like what we heard during the ritual at Stonehenge. Crabbe ended up tossing his wand away from him before the Fiendfyre consumed it. I think he might have been scorched, but got away?"

"Whatever he did had all the Death eaters in the graveyard on their knees." Kingsley's was bewildered. "it took them a few minutes to get to their feet, but the Aurors had been alerted and caught them before they could get away."

"But not before MacNair had Vanished the remaining Riddle bones." Bernard grinned. "I guess he didn't want them to fall into the wrong hands."

Severus blinked. "So you're telling me that Crabbe unwittingly destroyed the Horcrux for us?"

The four men looked at each other and then turned back to Severus, nodding.

Narcissa was holding Draco, who had fallen asleep, her eyes wide. "And Lucius was caught conducting a Dark ritual?"

Again, all four of them nodded.

"Daddy?" Rys tugged at his sleeve.

Severus tightened his hold as he began to tell the others what had happened during the ritual on the bluff, wondering if his pain corresponded somehow with that of the Death Eaters. He had just described the images who had come to visit before the pain struck, and then the specter that arose then.

"Dad!" Rys yelled, as he yanked his left sleeve up. "The ugly tattoo is gone!"

Severus' mouth shut and his eyes snapped to where the Dark Mark had marred the skin of his forearm since he was a angry and stupid seventeen-year-old. His skin was unblemished. His heart leapt to his throat as he stared at his pale skin.

"See, Dad!" Rys wrapped his arms around his throat as Severus held his arm up for all to see. "Means the bad man is all gone, right?"

Severus blinked his suddenly watery eyes. "Indeed it does, sweet boy, indeed it does!"


To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431