My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75468 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 4 by Terri
Author's Notes:
Warnings: Mentions of child abuse and child selling, manipulative!Dumbledore
Author's Notes (if any): This story started out very different, but took off on its own journey – this is a WIP that will be updated in parts.
Betas: and

The room Severus found himself in was dark; the air held the slightly musty smell of a being locked up for too long. Rys clung desperately to his neck and Severus could feel the dampness of the boy's tears leaking down his throat. Without conscious thought, his wand was in his right hand, the rucksack set on the floor at their feet, and his left lifted to rub his son’s back. Silently, Severus crouched for several long minutes, listening and allowing his senses to become attuned to the room around them. The tingle of powerful wards lingered on his skin and there was a familiar feel to the magic. It took a heart-stopping moment to recognize his solicitor’s magical signature.

“Daddy?”

Rys’ whispered voice shattered the silence and Severus slowly stood up. Allowing his son to slide down to the floor, Severus kept his left hand firmly on the boy’s shoulder as he examined the room. His eyes, now adjusted to the dimness, could make out the leather couch and armchairs set in front of a large hearth. Heavy drapes of some dark color obscured the windows along one side of the room and a doorway opened up at the corner of another.

“Daddy?”

Rys’ voice was slightly louder, making Severus flinch. The hand on the thin shoulder tensed and the boy froze. Casting several revealing spells, Severus concluded that they were in the right place, a safe place, just as Bernard had promised. A flicker of guilt went through him, both at his failure to trust the one man who had sworn him an Oath, and the way his son had reacted to him. Pointing his wand away, Severus crouched down to meet Rys’ eyes.

“I am sorry, sweet boy, but I needed to make sure this was a safe place for us.”

The green eyes beseeched him. “Good here, Daddy, but bad man hurt Daddy…”

Those eyes welled with tears and Severus was at a loss. After an awkward moment, it dawned on him that this little child had been frightened that he was hurt and Severus enfolded his son in his arms. Rys promptly burst into tears, burying his face in Severus’ shoulder. Warmth blossomed in his chest and he rocked the toddler back and forth.

“Daddy is…I am fine, Rys,” he rubbed his son’s back gently. “I’m not quite sure what happened at the cottage or where you sent the headmaster, but we are, for the moment, safe.”

“Rys’…’m in trouble?” The toddler asked, his face still pressed into Severus’ robes.

Severus snorted. “No, sweet boy, you are not in trouble for rescuing me. In fact, Albus Dumbledore may think twice before he attempts to separate us in the future.”

With a whispered spell, the draperies opened and filtered sunlight made the room visible. The furniture appeared of good quality, used but in decent condition, and the room was painted in a light color with dark wood trim. Shifting Rys to his hip, Severus moved towards the doorway and found them in a large kitchen, dominated by an immense table and fireplace. The room’s open beam ceiling and solid construction suggested they were in some type of old farmhouse. There was an unlit green candle in the middle of the worn wood and a piece of parchment propped against it. A spell showed that the note was harmless and Severus reached over to pick it up.

Severus,

Everything should be ready for you when you arrive, the cupboards are filled with stores and your lab is in a room just off the kitchen. This is a converted farmhouse which was purchased for you from the pureblood family of an elderly witch. It seems in her later years she was increasingly paranoid, so the house is Unplottable and undetectable, with Muggle avoidance spells and disillusionment charms. You will have to adjust the wards to recognize both your magic, but otherwise, I think it would be safest not to create any new wards and chance someone noticing your distinct magical signature.

You are on Beachy Head, quite near to Seaford in Sussex. There is a large wizarding community in Brighton and Hove where the majority of the Muggle population resides, but you shouldn’t have a problem where you are. The Muggle test came back with positive proof and that has been added to your file in the event you need it. Everything is in place, legally, in the event additional problems arise.

I will be alerted when the Portkey activates and will contact you once I have any information.

Bernard

Setting the note to the side, Severus surveyed the kitchen. It was definitely older, but appeared of solid construction and had been well taken care of. A door to the far side seemed the most likely place for his work area, as it stood opposite the single door to the outside and next to the door leading to the rest of the house. It was bright enough for a small child, and the high-set windows allowed a more defensible position as he could see an expanse of green outside. A patch of fog wafted by, obscuring Severus’ view.

Rys lifted his head and looked around, his grip on Severus not loosening. His son seemed to relax slowly as he recognized the purpose of the room, content that they were safe here. The toddler was convinced that the house was good, apparently, and Severus wondered again at the depths of his son’s magical abilities. The bond Rys had initiated with his wish magic throbbed within him, almost like another pulse, alive and reassuring. More than likely it was the bond that had alerted Rys to Dumbledore’s presence in the first place. Severus sneered; the meddling old bastard would think twice before he challenged them head-on.

The thought of Dumbledore made his stomach churn and Severus pressed his cheek against his son’s for just a moment. He had no doubt that the headmaster was seething, more angered by Severus’ seeming betrayal than the disappearance of the Dursleys. The accusation of breaking his Vow was unfounded, Severus knew, as it has centered primarily on keeping his son safe and secondarily being an oath of loyalty to Albus Dumbledore and his Order of the Phoenix. Neither of which Severus had violated in the truest sense of the words. Dumbledore might feel betrayed, but Severus’ continued existence proved that he wasn't. It wasn’t as if Severus had actually violated anything; Severus had simply taken the action he deemed necessary to ensure the long term safety of Lily’s son. The effects of a willful violation of a Wizard Oath or Unbreakable Vow would have been instantaneous and Albus Dumbledore, of all people, would recognize that.

That, of course, did not imply that the powerful wizard would acknowledge the fact, nor stop in his efforts to take Severus' son away from him. Harry Potter had always seemed to be Albus Dumbledore’s prize for fighting against the tyranny of the Dark Lord and Severus knew he would not give up control over the boy that easily. His only hope was to convince the headmaster that he and his son would not be separated and whatever plan Dumbledore had, would have to be adjusted to include Severus in it.

“’m hungry, Daddy.”

With a mock scowl, Severus tugged gently at the back of Rys’ shirt. “If you would relinquish your stranglehold on my neck, I will see what Bernard believes passes for food.”

Rys was reluctant to let go of him and Severus settled for shifting the toddler to his hip as he searched the cupboards. The usual staples had been stocked, as well as fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat, Severus was happy to see as he handed his son several carrots. The rest of the house needed to be checked before Severus would be able to completely relax, which meant appeasing Rys until he could feed him a proper meal.

“This should do for now,” Severus told the boy, “now, how would you like to ride on my back while we check the upstairs?”

~~~*~*~~~

The sun was just setting as Severus tucked the exhausted two-year-old into bed in the room across from his own. The farmhouse was spacious, each of the rooms twice the size of the rooms at the cottage. The smell of sea air was strong this evening as the breeze shifted and brought it on shore, the headlands blustery. The bed his son slept in was a standard four-poster and Rys looked lost in the expanse of bedding. Severus made a mental note to shrink it in the morning. Rys had returned to being the clingy, silent toddler that Severus had known during their first days, with the blessed exception of not being wary of him.

Severus stretched as he stood in front of the window of the master bedroom. The view of the headlands was spectacular, the sea churning in the distance. With a sigh, he turned back to the half-full rucksack on the bed and continued to unpack his clothing. Using non-magical means gave his hands something to do as his brain mulled over the events of the day once again. There had been no further word from his solicitor, which only meant that Bernard had neither heard anything, nor been contacted by anyone.

A smirk emerged as Severus once again pictured the look on Dumbledore’s face as Rys flung his hand out and sent the previously omnipotent wizard hurling back into the fireplace. Severus assumed that the burst of accidental magic had sent the headmaster back to his circular tower in Hogwarts – where he assumed the man had come from. It would have been the last point on the Floo network that had accessed their fireplace and seemed to be a logical assumption to make. The backwash of magic that Severus had felt was strong enough to have accomplished that, but hadn’t felt strong enough to have injured Dumbledore. Regardless, it should have given Albus Dumbledore a new perspective on the abilities and manipulations of his son.

Sleep proved elusive that night as each subtle noise and creak of the unfamiliar house had Severus on guard, wand in hand. Even Rys seemed restless, tossing and turning in his bed, settling only when Severus leaned down to whisper reassurances as he stroked a hand through the toddler’s hair. No doubt it would take them a day or two to become used to their home and to regain their sense of security. Severus could only hope that a return to familiar activities would help and he resolved to start the next day as if nothing had happened.

Rys seemed to be of the same mind as Severus woke to find his son sitting on the bed beside him the next morning, as he had every morning since Severus had retrieved him. Lifting the edge of the bedding, Severus smiled as the toddler scooted up and settled against him. Severus kissed the crown of tousled hair as Rys sighed into his chest.

“Good morning, sweet boy, did you sleep all right in your new room?”

“’morning, Daddy.” Rys squirmed closer and Severus rubbed his back. “’m bed is big.”

“I will make it smaller for you after breakfast,” he told his son, closing his eyes again.

“Pan’takes?”

A smile curved Severus’ lips at the mention of what was rapidly becoming Rys’ favorite food. “I might be able to accomplish pancakes, sweet boy.”

Going through the familiar routine of dressing and teeth-cleaning, as well as letting the toddler help him mix the batter in a small bowl. Severus was relieved to find the cupboards set up in a similar fashion to the ones in the cottage and silently thanked the house-elf who had taken care of it. As they sat down, Rys seemed reassured by something close to their normal habits. Something in Severus' chest relaxed as a tentative smile appeared on his son’s face as Severus told Rys about their new house.

“You may also come down and help me in my lab this morning, Rys, just as you have before. Would you like that?”

Rys smiled and nodded, Severus wincing at the pancake churning in the child’s mouth. Deciding the lesson on dining etiquette could wait; Severus took his plate and mug to the sink, setting the dishes to cleaning themselves. The toddler sat very still as Severus wiped his face gently and handed him the serviette to allow Rys to clean off his hands. Severus watched, amused, as Rys concentrated on cleaning the sticky off his hands with the tip of his tongue poking out the corner of his mouth. So eager to do everything right, so hungry for his father’s approval, and Severus was determined to give that stability to his son.

Finding the appropriate door, Severus led the way in, settling Rys into the closest corner with his toy cauldron and stuffed unicorn. Stopping to ward the area, Severus moved on to inspect the room. Situated just off the kitchen it was smaller than his previous lab, but it would nevertheless serve its purpose well. The walls were covered with a dark stone-like material and Severus could feel the protective charms woven into the surface. Having no information on the previous owner, Severus could only surmise that the room had been utilized in the past as a potions lab, or maybe a room for magical training where it could not be detected from the outside.

Gingerly laying a hand on the cool surface, Severus could feel the set spells to absorb and defuse wayward magical energy, including exploding potions. Shielded as it was, it would be a very safe room for his son to take refuge in if ever the need arose. Glancing back at the corner, Severus saw that the toy unicorn appeared to be taking a bath in Rys' cauldron, the toddler humming softly as he pretended to wash the golden fur. Seeing the small child engaged in a normal, child-like activity brought a warmth to his chest, easing the knot that been there since Bernard’s summons. Yes, Severus thought, with a few modifications, this room would provide a sanctuary for his son in a crisis situation.

The remainder of the lab was as precisely reconstructed as the kitchen had been, mirroring the cottage as much as possible and delighting Severus. Perhaps he would look into the acquisition of the elf from Bernard. Merlin knew he’d be a better master than Lucius Malfoy, whose tirades against his house-elves Severus had witnessed. With a shake of his head, Severus settled into the familiar habit of setting up to brew. Severus rechecked his inventory of stores and the potions he had completed within the past week. All of the potion bases Slughorn had sloughed off on him had already been brewed and delivered by the house-elf. The base potions that his younger students would need still needed to be completed, along with the perishable stocks for the hospital wing.

Severus felt a pang of remorse at the thought. Hogwarts had been a safe haven for him for a number of years, and while teaching might not suit his personality, he would miss the castle. Yet, Severus reasoned as his hands laid out the ingredients for a fever-reducing potion, Albus Dumbledore had a fair amount of Slytherin cunning in him for such an exemplary Gryffindor. The elderly wizard had hired him to teach despite his acerbic manner, and Severus was convinced that if it would benefit Dumbledore, the old wizard would accept Severus raising his son. In fact, the owl with the copies of all Severus’ paperwork, those filed both with the Ministry and the Muggle authorities, should have reached Dumbledore by now, who was no doubt furious. Severus couldn’t help but believe that with all his indignation, the Head of the Order of the Phoenix would still want to keep the Boy Who Lived where he could influence his upbringing.

Two thoughts struck Severus simultaneously: the first was that Albus Dumbledore was calculating enough to send a toddler to a loveless environment in order to mold him into a child who craved love and acceptance; the second was that the powerful wizard did not believe, any more than Severus did, that the Dark Lord was truly dead. Which meant by default that the Prophecy Severus had heard, the one he had dutifully reported to his master, the one that had killed his beloved Lily, had yet to be fulfilled. That was why Dumbledore had denied him his son: Harry Potter would have to have absolute faith in Dumbledore, and being raised by a father would divide the child’s loyalties.

All this struck him like an epiphany, and Severus set down his knife with a trembling hand. Moving slowly, he sank to the floor beside his son as Rys looked up from his play with a smile.

“Hi, Daddy.”

Severus held out his hands and Rys dropped his soft toy into the cauldron to crawl over. Gathering his son almost desperately to his chest without scaring the toddler, he buried his face in the soft hair.

“Daddy sad?” A small hand patted his cheek.

Pulling back, Severus looked into the brilliant eyes that seemed to peer into his soul. He hated the shadow of fear he saw there, even as the boy's love warmed him.

“No, sweet boy, I am very happy we are here and together,” Severus said past the emotion welling in his throat. “I love you, Rys.”

A brilliant smile lit the little boy’s face. “Rys…ME love Daddy, too!”

Severus smiled at Rys’ effort but the obstruction in his throat prevented his speech. Leaning forward, Severus kissed the jagged scar on his son’s forehead and was pleased to receive the exuberant hug and kiss Rys gave him. Rocking his child, Severus was content to stay that way for several long moments.

“Would you like to help me?” Severus smoothed the hair back from Rys’ face.

“Yes, Daddy!”

Transfiguring a spare cauldron into a high stool, Severus sat Rys beside him and retrieved his knife. Settling into a familiar lecture mode, the Potions master began to explain the properties of Echinacea and willow bark. He knew that the toddler wouldn’t understand but it was pleasant to have an eager, attentive audience and Severus chose to ignore the occasional giggle. Besides, they did wonders to ease the tightness in his chest.

~~~*~*~~~

It wasn’t until their third morning in the old farmhouse that Severus felt comfortable enough in their surroundings to venture outside. He’d grown increasingly agitated as he waited, wondering what scheme Albus Dumbledore might be developing. Rys was reacting to his tension in an adverse manner, believing he was the cause, despite Severus’ reassurance. Knowing that Bernard was scheduled to send Masly, the elderly house-elf, that afternoon with news and supplies, Severus decided they both needed a diversion.

Tugging a jumper over Rys’ head, Severus smiled at the face his rumpled son made. Taking the child by the hand, Severus stepped out the front door and down to the rock path. A brisk breeze whipped around them, coming off the bank of fog hanging just off the top of Beachy Head, but the sun was warm on their faces. Severus took a deep breath of the salty air. It set heavily in his lungs, moist, dense, and dredging up long forgotten memories of coming to Brighton as a boy. Memories of his mum from a happy time.

Rys tugged at his sleeve and Severus followed his pointing finger to a wild tangle of overgrown plants that grew alongside the house. Chokeberry and butterfly milkweed he recognized, along with many he didn’t, and bitter switch grass lined the edges. A butterfly took flight and Rys followed suit, laughing as he chased the yellow insect. Severus smiled as he watched, delighted to see the happy little boy emerge once more. Covertly, he began to check the edges of the wards, testing their strength along the low hedge that Severus planned to make Rys’ boundary.

They spent several hours outside, Rys alternating between trying to help Severus sort out the garden and running across the expanse of native grass. They were nowhere near the edge of the headlands, something Severus was thankful for – the last thing he needed to worry about was his son falling. By the time Severus took him inside for tea, the child’s eyes gleamed brightly and his cheeks were apple red.

Bernard’s house-elf popped in just as Severus set tea on the table. Assuring Rys that it was all right to go ahead and eat, Severus took the thick envelope that Masly handed him with no little trepidation. Quietly he murmured words of appreciation as the house-elf moved off on silent feet and Severus sat down at the table. Refusing to give in to his fear, Severus slid his finger under the flap and broke the seal, extracting a neat stack of parchment.

Severus,

The lack of information has been thunderous in its silence! I find myself very curious as to what happened that seems to have so caused an alteration of Albus Dumbledore’s plans.

Severus snorted derisively,

There was even an article in the Daily Prophet today in which the Hogwarts headmaster announced that old Sluggy was retiring at the end of this term and you were taking over his position as head of Slytherin house. It seemed a conciliatory gesture, especially with the unique timing.

Nevertheless, rest easy, as all the appropriate paperwork has been filed and should ensure that your son will remain in your custody through any legal challenge. I’ve included duplicates of the paperwork for you. I am also including a note from Healer Mays which was at the cottage when I went to secure the wards. I will forward any other correspondence as soon as it arrives.

I must admit to being surprised that there have been no inquiries into any of your affairs, official or unofficial. It would seem that Dumbledore is playing this one close to his chest.

Masly will be back in a week, Severus, please let him know if you have any special needs.

Bernard

Severus shuffled through the legal papers until he came to a sheet of parchment from his own desk with a hastily scrawled note.

Severus,

Kyler was upset that he didn’t get to share the fairy cakes, but he understands that tea was simply postponed. Let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Regards,

Phillip and Hannah

Severus was touched by both notes. Lily had been his only true friend, from the time he’d been an awkward child and a sullen teenager until he’d pushed her away with his obsession with the Dark Lord. It stunned him that these people were willing to be his friends without wanting something from him. Granted, Bernard had started as an acquaintance and then a solicitor, but he’d proven himself as a loyal friend. He summoned parchment and a quill, scratching out short notes for Bernard and the Mays.

“Daddy? More mi’k, pwease?” Rys held his cup out hopefully.

“May I have more milk, please?” Severus coached the toddler as he moved to complete his son’s request.

Trying valiantly to pronounce the words, Rys held out both hands to carefully take the cup from his father. Severus smiled at the child’s labors and brushed his hand over the soft hair. Rys still had the windblown appearance of having played hard, his cheeks were rosy red and the brilliant eyes seemed glassy. Their excursion outside had tired the toddler more than Severus had thought and he decided an early bedtime would suit them both.

Something woke Severus from a sound sleep and years of spying kept him silent, listening. The gray light of dawn cast a silvery beam through a gap in the curtains, illuminating his open door as Severus slid his hand under his pillow for his wand. A rustling noise came from Rys’ bedroom and Severus strained to make it out. It sounded as if the toddler was restless, but nothing that sounded of danger. Yet something had awoken him and Severus eased soundlessly out of bed, creeping across the hallway to slowly slide into the room.

Rys moved restlessly, Severus noted as he quickly scanned the perimeter, but otherwise everything was in its place. Not taking his eyes off the door, Severus leaned down as he stroked his fingers through his son’s hair in an attempt to calm him, frowning as he felt unusual heat. Quickly, Severus moved past the bed on silent feet to make sure the rest of the house was secure. Knowing the wards hadn’t been disturbed, Severus concentrated his check on the doors and windows in the event an animal had awoken him, but there was nothing.

With a frown, Severus retrieved the vial of fever reducing potion that he had been working on for Phillip, a potion that contained no willow bark extract. The healer had mentioned that small children should not be given the standard potion due to the potential side-effects. Rys was still tossing twitchily when Severus returned to his bedroom and Severus frowned as he wordlessly cast the spell to check the child’s body temperature. How could it be so high in such a small body?

Sitting beside his son, Severus waved up one lamp and could see how flushed the toddler’s face was. Gently laying his hand across Rys’ forehead, he was astonished at the heat emanating from it even after he had seen the reading. Speaking softly, Severus lifted Rys up and positioned the child in his lap while he coaxed Rys to swallow the potion. Rys sputtered and coughed, spewing half the potion down his front, and Severus could only hope enough went into him to help. The child shivered violently and his teeth chattered as if he was freezing.

Casting a heating charm on the sheet, Severus eased Rys back under the bedding and stretched out beside him. Everything else seemed fine, Severus thought as he watched the steady rise and fall of the small chest. Rys was breathing steadily, didn’t sound congested, and didn’t appear to be in any distress. Severus could still feel the heat radiating off the little boy through the covers and tried to tamp down the bubble of unaccustomed panic that tried to well up in his throat. Severus had been around children for the past three years, becoming acquainted with various fevers and colds, but generally there were other symptoms that went along with a fever.

A soft moan drew his attention and Severus could see that Rys had curled up into a fetal position, still shivering. Severus drew Rys against him, the heat searing his chest as he waited for the potion to take effect. The wait seemed interminable to him, but finally, Severus thought his son’s fever had gone down a bit. Severus moved to get up, but stilled as Rys whimpered, allowing the child to curl against him. Severus dozed off finally, only to be to be awakened as Rys once again began to shake.

“Daddy?”

The green eyes were glassy and the toddler seemed frantic as he reached for him. Grunting as a small knee caught him in the ribs; Severus pulled Rys to his chest. The toddler’s skin was once again on fire and Severus frowned. The fever-reduction potion should have lasted several hours at least. It was too soon to give Rys more and Severus searched his mind for other ways to mitigate a high fever. It wasn’t as if he’d never dealt with a sick child before, but nothing readily came to mind.

The isolation of the farmhouse, both literally and figuratively, hit him suddenly. He was truly alone here with no neighbors, a Floo connection that could be traced back to him, no post owl, and a sick toddler. Trying to soothe his increasingly restive son with soft words and touches, Severus struggled against the panic that was rising inside him. There had been nothing amiss when he’d bathed Rys last evening or nothing that alerted him to the fact that the boy was sickening.

“T’irsty, Daddy.”

Pulled from his thoughts, Severus summoned the glass of water he kept on his bedside table and sat up so he could reposition Rys to drink. The toddler drank thirstily, water coursing down his chin and his pajamas. Automatically, Severus spelled everything dry as Rys leaned back against him.

“T’ank you, Daddy.” His son pressed his cheek to Severus’ chest. “M’ head hurts.”

Setting the glass aside, Severus gathered the boy close, carefully keeping him wrapped in the blanket while he brushed sweat-damp hair back from Rys’ scarred forehead.

“Do you feel sick anywhere else, sweet boy?”

Rys shook his head fractionally, leaning into Severus. The sheer heat radiating from his son’s skin frightened him even as Severus attempted to squash the anguish building inside him. Severus rocked the toddler shivering in his arms, trying to push his magic through the bond his son had created between them. Wish magic didn’t seem to be conducive to sharing strength, though, Severus thought with a grimace, knowing he had to do something to lower the boy’s fever.

Feeling helpless, Severus could only hold the boy as the shivering intensified. Wrapping the blanket tightly around Rys, Severus carried him through to the bathroom, wetting a flannel with cool water. Shifting Rys against him, Severus draped the cloth across the toddler’s forehead and cast a cooling charm on the blanket wrapped around him. He had to tighten his grip as Rys began to shake even more violently. Nothing seemed to work as Severus resumed pacing the hallway, an occasional whimper escaping from Rys was the only sound the toddler made. The distress in that plaintive noise tore at him, leaving Severus feeling helpless.

Only the gradual increase in light in the hallway alerted Severus to the passage of time and he made his way down the stairs towards his lab off the kitchen. A sharp intake of breath by his son was the only warning Severus had as Rys stiffened and began to convulse. Severus staggered and almost fell as he tried to hold on to the flailing child. Repositioning Rys so he was pressed to Severus’ chest, Severus supported the small head as it was thrown back but took a glancing blow to his thigh. He struggled to maintain his grip as he stumbled down the steps and sank to his knees on the landing. Rys seemed locked into his rigid pose forever, his limbs jerking wildly and all Severus could do was to keep him from hurting himself.

As suddenly as it started, the seizure stopped and Rys went limp in his arms. Severus’ heart froze when he couldn’t feel his son breathing. His world contracted to the too-still child he held and Severus didn’t stop to consider anything else as he shot to his feet. Severus’ wand was out, and the fire flared as he grabbed the pot of Floo Powder on the mantle.

“St. Mungo’s, Children’s Ward, Healer Mays!”

Rys’ forehead burned against his neck as Severus clasped him, kneeling in front of the hearth. The green flames swirled around him as the connection went through and Severus took a breath before putting his head into the fire. The bustle of early activities seemed to drown out his first call.

“Healer Mays!”

A passing Healer eyed him warily. “Healer Mays just left, I’m afraid you’ll have to wait…”

“Severus?” Phillip Mays was on his haunches in front of the fireplace. “What…”

“Rys had a convulsion and a high fever…” Severus found he had to force the words past the thickness in his throat. “He’s not breathing…”

The healer waved him to one side. “Lean back, Severus, so I can come through, but don’t break the connection!”

“But, Healer Mays, this is highly irregular…” an irritated female voice snapped.

Severus leaned back as Phillip stood and braced his hands on the fireplace. “It’s fine, Mona, Severus lives next to me; I’ll just walk home from there.”

He wasn’t able to make out the witch’s reply as in the next instant Philip was lifting Rys and carrying him to the couch. With wand and hands, the Healer examined the boy rapidly, muttering incantations that Severus couldn’t follow. His heart froze as Rys gasped and his body began to jerk again.

“Severus, I need that baby potion we were working on, please.”

Reacting without thought, Severus flew to his lab, finding the pale yellow vial of experimental potion on one of the neatly stacked shelves. Returning to the sitting room, Severus found that the couch had been transfigured into a freestanding bathtub and Philip was lowering Rys into the water, the boy stripped of his pajamas. Dropping to his knees, Severus set the vial on the low table and leaned over the tub as Phillip setting the child into it. Rys’ eyes flew open as he shrieked, arms flailing.

“No! No hurt! No hurt!” Rys sobbed, the sound tearing at Severus’ heart.

“The tepid water will help leach the heat from him,” Phillip raised his voice above the din, trying to hold on to the thrashing toddler.

Severus slid his arms around his son, freeing the healer to continue his ministrations. Rys alternated between sobbing and beseeching them not to hurt him, as if he had no idea where he was. Leaning closer, Severus began to speak quietly, calling his son’s name and reassuring him, over and over. Phillip asked him what had happened and Severus recounted the night’s events in the same quiet, calm voice as both watched Rys continue to shiver and sob.

Gradually, and Severus had no concept of the passing time, Rys’ sobs quieted into hiccupping breaths that seemed to lodge in his chest. Those brilliant eyes focused on Severus’ face.

“Daddy?”

“I’m right here, sweet boy,” Severus reassured him with a hitch in his own breath.

“Cold, Daddy…”

“Go ahead and lift him out, Severus,” Phillip directed him, “I believe the fever has broken.”

Severus cradled his son to his chest as he stood, heedless of the water splashing down his front. Rys was quickly dried and dressed in clean pajamas, wrapped in his blanket and dosed with the special baby potion. He whimpered when Severus tried to lay him down, so instead, Severus settled against the headboard as the Healer watched with approval.

“He has Roseola or infant measles, Severus, caught most likely from Kyler who has just recovered from the same illness. It is fairly benign, causing high fevers and a skin rash in infants and toddlers.” Phillip explained as he laid a hand on Rys’ head. “He will most likely continue to run a fever for the next day or two and then may develop a red rash, most likely on his torso. Just keep on treating the fever, make sure he gets plenty of rest and fluids, and he should recover within a couple of days.”

Severus nodded, relief making him aware of the weariness he felt to his bones. “Thank you, Philip. You have my undying gratitude for your timely help.”

Phillip Mays waved off his thanks, his mouth still set in a grim line. “Nonsense, Severus, this is exactly what I am training for. In fact, the potion worked perfectly and will help many other children with extreme fevers. I just hope…”

Severus frowned as Phillip took a breath.

“Coming through the public emergency Floo from St. Mungo’s may have compromised your safety, Severus, as that Floo is always monitored. If someone has been alerted, they will be able to trace my journey.”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431