My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75473 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 6 by Terri
Author's Notes:
Beta'd by rakina and the_minx_17.

Severus Snape watched the first rays of the sun paint the corner of his son's room through a gap in the curtains. The daylight signaled the end of a long, sleepless night for the young Potions master as he continued to have second thoughts about the course he'd chosen to keep Rys safe. The toddler shifted restlessly along his side, his hand tightening in Severus' nightshirt. The early light glinted off the silver bracelet on his son's small wrist, giving Severus the reassurance of the added protection the Heritage Amulet offered.

Bernard had outdone himself locating the rare matched pair of ancient Celtic bracelets, the silver surface had the rich, burnished look of age and was engraved with fine runes for health, happiness, and protection. Separating the runes for strength and protection was the elegantly etched image of a phoenix. Severus had raised an eyebrow at this, only to have his friend shrug.

"These date back to around the time Hogwarts was being built, Severus, and are layered with old magic. I don't for a moment believe that they have anything to do with Albus Dumbledore or his Order of the Phoenix."

Severus had to acknowledge the truth of Bernard's words as he considered Fawkes reaction to his son. Perhaps these bracelets really were destined for them. Rys had been delighted by the narrow band, running his fingertips over the etching as Severus spelled the matching bracelet to his own left wrist. The small fingers lingered over the phoenix and a pleased smile blossomed on his son's face as Rys softly thanked him. Bernard had been insufferably pleased with himself for drawing a smile out of the quiet toddler.

They had Apparated back to the cottage in Hogsmeade at dusk the night before, after Masly had gone first to check that all was well. It was Masly's stubborn assertion that no Dark wizard would even blink an eye at the appearance of an old house-elf that had reassured Severus about the upcoming meeting at Hogwarts. Everything appeared to be exactly as they had left it and Severus sighed with relief. Masly had muttered to himself about dusting, disappearing into the kitchen, and Rys had clung to Severus' neck with a quiet whimper. His son didn't particularly like Apparation any better than he liked the Floo, it seemed.

An abrupt gasp pulled Severus from his thoughts and he looked down at Rys, who had stiffened beside him. The silver band adorning his wrist heated slightly as his son suddenly flinched in his sleep. The hand in his nightshirt tightened for a moment before being yanked away as Rys jerked both hands up to cover his head in a protective gesture.

"No! No hurt!"

Rys seemed to curl in on himself, his night terror taking hold of him. Severus wrapped his arms around Rys, speaking softly as the toddler stiffened. Cupping the back of Rys' head, Severus sat up, rocking his son, until the toddler drew a shuddering breath and went limp in his arms.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, sweet boy?"

"Bad dream, Daddy, hurt…"

His son fell silent, but sadly, Severus had already worked out who had been terrorizing Rys' sleep. Severus pressed a kiss to the disheveled hair, firmly clamping down on the surge of anger he felt as he held the toddler tightly.

"Those people will never have the chance to hurt you again, sweet boy, I promise you that. Never again, Rys."

Severus felt the small head nod slightly and his son slowly relaxed in his arms. Laying his head back against the headboard, Severus closed his eyes, willing his body to relax like Rys'. They must have dozed off together, as the sun shone brightly when a small finger tracing over his nose next awakened Severus.

Rys gave him a tentative smile as Severus cracked open one eye and gave the boy a mock scowl. Severus moved suddenly, sucking the small finger into his mouth and pretending to chew on it, Rys squealing before dissolving into giggles as he yanked his hand back. Sliding one hand up, Severus attacked the particularly ticklish place under the boy's ribs, a smile curling his lips as Rys gasped with laughter.

"'top, Daddy!" Rys shrieked, throwing himself back.

Letting the boy fall back onto the mattress, Severus smoothed the hair back from Rys' flushed face, loving the playfulness his son displayed at these moments. Smiling, Severus stood, stretching the knots out of his back, while his son calmed down.

"Come, sweet boy, we need to get this day started."

Rys scrambled over the bed and followed Severus into the bathroom. Smothering a smile as his son mimicked his movements, Severus went about his morning routine. He stilled Rys' struggle with his hair by taking the small brush and running it through the chin-length hair, smoothing the stray strands as he did.

"'pe'tial tothes, Daddy?"

"Yes, Rys, you may wear your new 'special' robes," Severus told him, delighted that Rys thought of the very first robes he'd ever worn as special. "I will go downstairs and see what Masly has decreed suitable for breakfast."

Severus occupied himself with feeding his son breakfast and getting Rys ready for their meeting, not questioning the boy's quietness. He was able to hold his own emotions at bay, knowing that everything depended on him being able to articulate his requirements to Albus Dumbledore without allowing himself to get angry. It didn't help the solid knot of tension that sat tightly wound in the middle of his chest. Bernard joined them at the Apparition point just beyond the gates to the castle, where they exchanged quiet greetings. Rys clutched at his neck, his eyes opening wide as he gazed up at Hogwarts castle.

For Severus, it was an uncomfortable repetition of the journey he had made before his son was born, when he'd come to plead with the powerful headmaster for Lily's protection. It had been in the deepest, darkest part of the night that Severus had found himself here that time, and the bright daylight provided a sharp contrast now. Despite the sun, a shiver of apprehension ran down his spine and Rys tightened his grip around Severus' neck, leaning closer to kiss his cheek. Turning his head, Severus smiled into the brilliant eyes and paused in his stride to turn so that Rys could see the castle as it came into full view.

"There's the castle, sweet boy; isn't it magnificent?"

Rys' eyes widened as he took it in the ancient buttresses. "Yes, Daddy, 'nifi'tent!"

Severus nodded, resuming his journey as Bernard glanced back with a smile. As the great oak doors to the entrance came into view, Severus saw a figure in royal blue robes standing on the top of the steps. His steps faltered as Severus' memory flashed back to that day he'd begged for Dumbledore's forgiveness. That day the manipulative old wizard had worn blue as well, and Severus had begun to see blue as the color of redemption, just as he considered the brilliant green of Lily's and Rys' eyes as the color of love. His eyes narrowed as Rys clutched at his neck – Severus would not be manipulated again.

Striding ahead, Severus came to a stop a meter short of the steps. Let Dumbledore come to him this time. Slowly, Severus set his son down and Rys stood at his side, one hand looped around his thigh as the boy looked around in awe. Bernard came to a stop just to his left side, standing slightly behind him as befitted his status as a witness to the proceedings. His most neutral mask on his face, and his mind Occluded, Severus let his wand hand rest on Rys' head as a sign of his willingness to talk.

A burst of golden flame just in front of the Headmaster startled Severus even as Rys exclaimed in glee. Fawkes trilled softly as he circled over them once. Feeling the watchful eyes of the headmaster, Severus wasn't surprised that the phoenix hovered over his son, seemingly at the direction of Albus Dumbledore. His hand tightened as Fawkes allowed his tail feathers to brush the top of Rys' head, as if teasing the child to chase after him. But Rys seemed to realize now was not the time for play and with a burst of phoenix song, Fawkes lifted into the air to resume his circling above them. For some reason, the actions of the magical creature reassured him more than if Fawkes had made an open display of affection, as he had that afternoon on the headlands.

"Severus, my boy," the lined face was set in a welcoming smile as Dumbledore took steps towards the edge of the stone stairs, giving them a stiff bow. "Bernard, so good to see you again."

The barrister inclined his head as Severus watched the blue eyes sweep past his friend to finally acknowledge the toddler at his side – and the term 'prize' came to his mind. He stroked a reassuring hand through Rys' hair as the boy tensed.

"And young Harry," Dumbledore's smile didn't reach his eyes.

Severus felt his son tighten his grip and shift slightly, putting him just behind his father's leg.

"Albus," Severus acknowledged as Dumbledore stopped in front of them.

The powerful wizard slowly crouched down, bringing himself down to Rys' level. The child didn't loosen his grip, but he did move out from behind his father's leg as Severus continued to stroke his hair. It was clear from the tension in the small body that Rys remembered Dumbledore from the encounter at the cottage.

"We seem to have begun badly, so I thought I'd start over. Welcome to Hogwarts, Harry. I am Headmaster Dumbledore."

The tiny shoulders squared. "'m Rys, pwease."

Dumbledore shot Severus an inquiring look.

"The child's given name was used only in anger by Petunia and her husband. He requested the diminutive be used instead."

Something hardened in that ancient face, whether anger at the unspoken accusation or something else, but Dumbledore's voice remained jovial.

"Well, that seems unduly sensitive to me, but nevertheless, we do want to make the child feel welcome, don't we, Rys?" The headmaster straightened up. "Shall we continue our discussion inside?"

With a swirl of robes, Dumbledore turned and ascended the steps, assured that they would follow him. Lifting Rys into his arms, Severus worked to suppress the irritation he felt over the headmaster's attitude. Exchanging a glance with his friend, Severus walked slowly up the stairs, hesitating fractionally as he stepped over the threshold into the Entrance Hall. The thick stone walls were the same as they had been for years, yet Severus felt a welcoming warmth as he stepped into the castle. Dumbledore's heels clicked against the flagstones as he headed up the staircase and Rys' head swiveled as he tried to take in everything at once.

A small house-elf peeked at them from behind the doorway as Severus followed Dumbledore up the stairs, its large eyes lingering on Rys as they moved past. For some reason, this reassured Severus that Bernard's assumption might actually be true, and his chest eased just a bit. Rys twisted slightly to look back at the Entrance Hall and Severus shifted him to his hip, keeping his wand hand free. On the first floor landing, Severus saw a tabby cat watching from the shadows just down the corridor, and wondered what his former professor and now colleague thought of this latest development. Lily had been a particular favorite of Minerva McGonagall's and Severus wished he could count on her support, but the witch's loyalty to the headmaster was well known.

Not a word was exchanged as Severus and Bernard followed the headmaster up the moving staircases to the seventh floor and down the corridor to where the gargoyle seemed to watch them intently. Rys pressed against him as Severus walked by, as if he didn't want to take any chances with the stone creature. They stepped onto the moving staircase and allowed it to carry them up to the open oak door and the daylight-flooded office of the headmaster. Severus blinked in the bright light as he stopped just inside the door.

"Sit down, gentlemen," Dumbledore waved at the two chairs across from his desk.

Bernard moved in front of him and slid into the inner seat, leaving Severus a clear path to the door, if needed. Shifting his son, Severus sat down carefully and eased Rys to his feet in front of him. The boy stepped back until he could wrap an arm around his father's leg and glanced around him with interest. Leaning forward, Severus ran his hands down the dark blue robes Rys wore over a crisp white shirt and black trousers, proud of the way his son was behaving.

"Tea?"

With a flick of his wand, a house-elf appeared next to the large desk with a fully loaded tea tray. Rys smiled shyly at the diminutive creature whose eyes lit with delight at the sight of the child. Severus didn't look as Bernard shifted forward, taking the cup of tea that floated his way. Looking up, Severus found his own cup hovering at eyelevel and retrieved it as he stifled a sigh. He swallowed an irritated groan as Dumbledore dragged out the niceties of serving tea. Replacing the scone that had been handed to Rys with a small shortbread biscuit, Severus trained a glare on their jovial host.

"Ah, yes then, to the business at hand," Dumbledore brushed the crumbs off his fingers and leaned back in his chair. "I am very pleased that you have decided to accept your new responsibilities here, Severus, and I am sure that you will do a splendid job both as Potions professor and Head of Slytherin House."

Dumbledore sat forward and peered over his half-moon spectacles at Severus, who quickly checked his mental shields reflexively. "The castle has prepared a suite of rooms for you situated between the Slytherin dorms and the Potions classroom, and I am sure you and Harry will be quite comfortable. I have arranged for a qualified witch to attend to Harry while you are attending to your duties…"

Severus stiffened and Rys looked up at him as Severus leaned towards Dumbledore. "No!" He took a deep breath. "My apologies, Headmaster, for the outburst. However, I have already made arrangements for Rys' care whilst I am teaching, as well as having acquired a house-elf who will be accompanying us on our return to Hogwarts."

"Now, Severus, I simply can't allow you to be disturbing the delicate balance that the house-elves have in serving the occupants of the castle by bringing in your own," Dumbledore smiled sadly.

"I believe that is best left up to the house-elves to decide if it would be suitable, don't you agree, Headmaster?" Severus asked quietly. "It would also be greatly comforting to Rys to have someone with whom he has grown familiar around him."

Something hardened in the blue eyes. "The boy will only suffer from being coddled too much, Severus. Regardless of whose custody he is in, Harry is still the child of prophecy and that necessitates that he be raised in a manner that is conducive to fulfilling that destiny."

Severus felt anger welling in him, remembering the decisions made before Lily's body had even cooled. "Duty and responsibility can be imparted without having to neglect or abuse a child!"

As if oblivious to the fact that he was the object of the discussion, Rys glanced at Severus before inching away to reach for another biscuit from the tray sitting on the edge of the massive desk. Working to master his irritation, Severus looked up as Dumbledore stood from his chair and leaned forward, no longer trying to hide his own annoyance.

"Your allegations have been documented, Severus, although I doubt the experiences of a mere eight months will have made any lasting impression on young Harry here."

Dumbledore swung his arm toward Rys as the child reached for a biscuit. With a startled cry, Rys flinched violently away and threw up his hand as if to ward off the blow he believed was coming. A shimmering wall of magic seemed to form between the headmaster and the toddler, who immediately began to scramble backwards. Severus was on his feet as his son reached blindly for him and scooped Rys into his arms. Clasping Rys tightly to his chest, Severus curled his body protectively around his son and away from the threat. Without conscious thought, his feet carried him towards the door as the silent child clung to him. Severus could feel Rys trembling.

"Severus." Bernard's voice was sharp, demanding his attention.

Just inside the oak door, Severus stopped and drew a deep breath, turning back towards the massive desk. His friend was assisting the headmaster to his feet, a wry smile on his face as he met Severus' eyes. Something unclenched a bit in Severus' chest at the sight of a rumpled and ruffled Albus Dumbledore, a confused look on his face, being helped up from the floor. Silently standing his ground, Severus rubbed a reassuring hand along Rys' back. The headmaster shook himself off as Bernard went back to his chair. The previously silent portraits around the room began to whisper fiercely.

Dumbledore cleared his throat as he smoothed his robes with one hand. "I may have underestimated a few things, it seems, and may need to reassess my information."

Severus took a step towards him, his lips curling in a sneer. "Reassess, Professor? Perhaps that will help you to decide on a more appropriate course of action. Leaving a hurt and confused baby in the hands of someone you knew would resent having to care for him was a calculated move. A child who grows up without proper care or affection is almost certainly going to be overwhelmed by a society that views him as a hero when he finally escapes his oppressive environment. My son will not grow up like that, and I would suggest you find a new way to make him trust you enough to do what you deem is necessary at the appropriate time. As for this moment, you will either respect his and my wishes and have us both at hand, or I will resign my post and raise my son without interference elsewhere."

The blue eyes were shrewd as a look of contrition settled over the headmaster's features. "I firmly believe that it is very important that both of you remain within the protective walls of Hogwarts for your own safety. You have my promise not to interfere in the parenting of your son, Severus. Neither of you needs to be watching over your shoulders for those ardent followers of Lord Voldemort who managed to stay out of Azkaban."

Something inside told him to grab Rys and run as fast and as far as he could, but Severus walked slowly back to his chair, still holding his son tightly. "Then you will allow me to make my own arrangements for the care of Rys, as I have someone who will watch him while I am attending to my duties here. To accomplish that, I will need the Floo connection in my chambers to be connected to the cottage in Hogsmeade."

"I would prefer that the boy…"

"I believe you have made your preferences clear, Headmaster," Severus cut across Dumbledore's words. "And for the most part I am agreeing with them. However, I will supply my son with a care provider and Healer of my choice. I believe that the protections in place at the cottage and the Mays' residence can be strengthened enough to create a safe environment for Rys. You, of course, can add your own spells to strengthen them, if you are so inclined."

Rys shifted in his lap and Severus loosened his grip, allowing the boy to position himself with his back against Severus' chest so that he could see the headmaster. Soothing the disheveled hair, Severus was amused to see Rys study Dumbledore, as if trying to resolve whether this man was a friend or enemy. Rys lifted his chin when he saw that Dumbledore was looking back at him, one hand stroking his beard.

"I would be happy to be of service, if you insist on following that course of action," the blue eyes continued to study the toddler. "Ha…er, Rys seems to have developed his own unusually strong protective magic."

Tired of the scrutiny, Rys began to jiggle his foot, his attention having strayed, and Severus summoned one of the shortbread biscuits. Handing it to the boy, Severus' chest tightened as his son flashed him a bright smile as he took it.

"T'ank you, Daddy."

Severus laid a hand over the toddler's restless foot, and the movement stopped immediately. "Yes, it has developed since Rys was told that no one had the right to hurt him and that he was a wizard; that magic was normal for us."

The now familiar burst of golden flame heralded the arrival of the scarlet phoenix and Rys sat forward with a squeal of delight. Letting the toddler slide off his lap, Severus watched as Fawkes settled to the floor and allowed Rys to pat his head. Leaning to retrieve his forgotten cup of tea, Severus glanced at Bernard, who was watching the interaction with a smile. Severus knew the solicitor was making note of everything as he planned to draw up a contract of agreement for the headmaster to sign before Severus took up residency in the castle. They had a week before the Heads of Houses were required to be back to plan for the coming term. On Severus' part, there was no negotiating when it came to who would be caring for his son. Phillip Mays had proven himself a loyal friend and exceptional Healer, and while Severus knew that Poppy Pomfrey was an excellent mediwitch, she was another of those whose loyalties seemed to reside completely with the headmaster.

It was absolutely necessary for Severus to surround himself with only those who would be absolutely loyal to him, especially when the information was leaked, as he knew it would be, that his son was none other than the Boy Who Lived. While he would do everything he could to make sure that Rys Snape had the opportunity to be a normal little boy, Severus was well aware that it was only a matter of time before the truth was known. It was too much to expect that Rys would have the luxury of attending Hogwarts with anonymity, as Albus Dumbledore had his own agenda and Severus was sure it coincided with Harry Potter's arrival at Hogwarts.

"Fawkes seems to be taken with young Rys," Dumbledore said as he watched Fawkes preen as the small hands stroked his feathers, trilling softly.

"Yes," Severus agreed, but didn't offer further comment.

"Professor Dumbledore," Bernard spoke up for the first time. "Just to clarify the arrangements as Severus' solicitor; as I understand it you have agreed to allow Severus to make his own arrangements for the care of his son, including allowing his Floo to be connected to the cottage in Hogsmeade, without interference. In exchange for providing the safety of the castle and the rooms provided, Severus will teach Potions as well as assume the duties of Head of Slytherin House."

Dumbledore waved a dismissive hand at Bernard. "Yes, yes, nothing so unusual as to require a formal agreement."

"Actually," Severus set down his cup, "I believe it does, as I do not want any misunderstandings about our arrangement, Professor. By making this agreement, I reaffirm the Oath I swore to you to protect Lily's son with my very life – an oath you questioned not too long ago – as well as having you acknowledge that this child is my son, in a legal and binding agreement."

Dumbledore's eyes shifted to Severus' and he felt a momentary brush of Legilimency, gone before he could object. "Ever the Slytherin, Severus. Of course, draw up the agreement as you see fit, Bernard."

It was Severus' turn to feel he finally had an upper hand and he smiled slowly. "Perhaps a fealty oath would reassure Rys that you had his best interests at heart, Headmaster."

The clear blue eyes narrowed to chips of ice, Severus could almost feel the rage well up in the powerful wizard. Rys looked up from where he was still stroking Fawkes' feathers, a frown creasing the scarred brow as if the boy could feel the anger-fueled surge of magic. His son moved to stand pressed against his leg as the silence lengthened. Keeping his expression neutral, Severus waited as the tension mounted; knowing that any sign of weakness at this point would be a grave miscalculation. Even the portraits seemed frozen as they watched Dumbledore struggle with his answer.

"I will expect your son to swear the same loyalty oath that you did, Severus, to the Order of the Phoenix and the vanquishing of Lord Voldemort."

As well as to you, Severus thought sarcastically as he repressed an involuntary shudder at the mention of the evil wizard's name. "I am sure that when Rys has attained an age that such an oath would be binding, Professor, he will be able to make his own choice as to whether to swear an oath to the Order of the Phoenix."

Fawkes let out a burst of phoenix song, easing the tension as he flew over them to his perch and the portraits exploded into heated whispers as Severus held Dumbledore's eyes. It was apparent to him that a line had been drawn and for the moment Severus would savor the small victory he had made here this morning. He felt the actions taken had made it known to the headmaster that Severus was serious about raising Rys his way. Never again would his son be subjected to the misery he'd experienced over the eight months he was in the care of the Dursleys.

"Daddy?" Rys tugged lightly on his trouser leg and Severus broke eye contact to look at him. "'m need to go, pwease."

Dumbledore seemed to understand the boy's request, and seized the opportunity to escort them down to the dungeons, with a stop at the boys' washroom in the seventh floor corridor. Showing them to a solid oak door set in a short hallway just past the entrance to the Slytherin dorms, the headmaster excused himself to see to the arrangements they had discussed. Severus glanced at Bernard before he crossed the threshold into a dark room. Both knew that the castle walls of Hogwarts had ears and they would have to wait to discuss what had happened.

Wall torches flared to life as Severus carried Rys into a large room with Bernard following. The ancient stone walls were covered on three sides of the room with rich tapestries depicting what appeared to be the life and times of Merlin. The room was divided by groupings of furniture, with a sofa and wingback chairs arranged in front of a large fireplace at one end, and a large desk at the opposite end. Adjacent to the fireplace was a small dining area on one side and low bookshelves lined the walls under the tapestries. Three doors led off the main room and assuming they were the bedrooms and bathroom, Severus set a wriggling Rys down before walking over to check them.

It struck Severus as he did another, slower, survey of the rooms, that there wasn't a single portrait there. Rys wandered over to the large tapestry, tilting his head back as he took in the scene of an elegantly robed Merlin standing in front of a medieval castle. Bernard moved to stand beside him, a smirk on his face as he rolled his parchment notes into a scroll. Severus didn't need a spell to know that his friend was thinking of the meeting with Dumbledore. He was less than willing to believe that they had scored any kind of a victory until he was sure of the loyalties of the house-elves and the castle.

"Severus, have you looked at this?" Bernard was standing at one of the open doors, peering into the room.

Moving to join him, Severus was astonished to see a slightly larger version of his son's bedroom from their cottage in Hogsmeade. The small bed, the shelves with their books and toys, and even the curtains on the windows had been duplicated. Bright sunlight filtered through the windows and Severus wondered whether these were actually windows along the outside wall of the castle or windows that had been enchanted. The bathroom stood between the two rooms, exactly as it did at the cottage, and Severus knew without looking that his bedroom would also be replicated. The knot of tension in his chest that had been wound tight throughout their meeting, and which had loosened and retightened with the ebb and flow of the discussion, finally seemed to ease to a manageable state. Whether it was the castle or the house-elves or both, the message was that they wanted Rys to be comfortable and safe in his new surroundings.

A soft giggle from the main room drew Severus' attention back to his son and he brushed by Bernard in his haste to get to the boy, but stopped in the doorway. A crowd of house-elves filled the outer room, surrounding Rys as he stood in front of the tapestry. Severus had never seen so many of the diminutive creatures in one place before and felt a surge of uneasiness despite his son's delighted grin. Rys looked up instantly, his smile faltering as he felt Severus' reaction. The gathering parted and an ancient looking house-elf, looking almost regal in his impeccable Hogwarts' tea towel, stepped forward and bowed deeply.

"Professor Snape, sir. I be Altor, elder to the younglings."

Severus inclined his head, acknowledging what he believed was the house-elf's rank among his people. "I believe I have you and the others to thank for the excellent work done in these rooms. My son will be particularly pleased with his bedroom."

"Masly is helping Altor and the younglings to make things perfect for the young master, Professor Snape, and they is glad to be helping Master Rys."

"My thanks, Altor," Severus was relieved that the other house-elves would accept Masly's presence among them, as he knew Masly would protect Rys with his magic and his life. "It pleases me that Masly will be coming to Hogwarts with us to watch over my son."

The great brown eyes scrutinized him with an intelligence that Severus had never attributed to the enslaved race of magical beings, but these eyes seemed to hold endless knowledge. Rys had edged his way to Severus, the young house-elves reaching to brush their fingers against him as he passed and the boy hesitantly patting them back. The group seemed to glow with happiness as Rys finally reached him, wrapping his arm around Severus' leg. Bernard stood on his other side, watching the exchange silently, nodding in agreement to Severus' statement.

"Professor Snape, the house-elves of Hogwarts serve her and those that reside within her walls. Hogwarts especially likes young Master Rys and his father, as does the house-elves. The house-elves won't be letting anything happen to the Professor or the young master."

Severus inclined his head again. "Your efforts on the part of my son are appreciated."

Altor took a step forward. "The Professor must not be relaxing his guard. There is those within the castle walls who would do harm to Master Rys if they is given the chance."

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431