My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75648 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 8 by Terri



"Professor Snape?" A timid first year poked his very red head around the edge of Snape's office door.

They were only a week into the school year and Severus was already reaching for the analgesic potions with alarming regularity. It was five minutes before his office hours ended and he just wanted to get back to his rooms and relax. Rys had seemed to settle into their routine easily enough, but it had been a long week and Severus didn't want his son regressing. He picked the boy up in the afternoon, had dinner with him, bathed him, and tucked him into bed before going back to open his office for students. Masly sat in a small chair beside Rys' bed until Severus returned each evening.

"Yes, Mr. Weasley?" Severus snapped, eyes on the clock.

The child's face flushed, whether from anger or embarrassment, Severus couldn't tell.

"It's Parks, sir, he felt dizzy in the library, so I helped him down here…"

Severus stood, wand flicking over his desk with a locking spell as he ushered the young Gryffindor back into the hallway and warded his door. The first-year Slytherin slumped against the stone wall was burning with fever and Severus scooped him up without hesitation.

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley, I'll take it from here. Back to your common room before Professor McGonagall finds you missing."

Young William Weasley hesitated for a heartbeat, his eyes on his friend, before scampering off. Severus strode in his wake, robes snapping around his ankles as he reflected on the unlikely friendship between the two boys of rival Houses. Both the Parks and the Weasley families were pure-blood, but while the Weasleys’ were adamant supports of Albus Dumbledore, the Parks had been carefully neutral during the war. Perhaps it was something he could quietly nurture, Severus contemplated as he crossed the first floor landing. Rys had just as much of a chance of being Sorted into Gryffindor as Slytherin and Severus didn’t want his son to be ashamed if that happened.

“Severus?” Madame Pomfrey was there as he crossed the threshold into the hospital wing.

“Mr. Parks was in the library when he became dizzy and then lost consciousness. He appears to have a high fever.”

“Like the two from my House,” Minerva McGonagall materialized at his elbow, her voice grim.

“Put him in that bed, Severus,” the mediwitch directed him with a hand as she turned toward her work station.

Setting the child down, Severus stripped him of his outer robes and covered him with a blanket, before moving to stand beside Minerva as Poppy Pomfrey went to work.

“Your Mr. Weasley brought Mr. Parks to me, actually,” he told her quietly.

“And you awarded points for the act of kindness, I’m sure.” His colleague gave him an amused glance as Poppy Pomfrey snorted softly.

“Two points to Gryffindor,” Severus said grudgingly as he watched his student being treated.

“Definitely Phoenix Fever,” Pomfrey announced as she stepped away from the bed to summon a vial from a cabinet on the wall. “Just like the other two.” She pinned him with a steely gaze. “Not something you want a little one like your son to catch, Severus.”

Meeting the mediwitch without flinching, Severus wondered what she knew as Minerva shifted beside her. “Rys has had all his inoculation potions, Madam, but I will check with his healer to make sure.”

“Perhaps I should have a copy of his records just in case I need to treat him,” Pomfrey told him with a huff as she moved past him to the other side of the bed, lifting the child's head up as she trickled potion into his mouth, before straightening to laying a hand on the Slytherin first-year's head.

“I will have Healer May send over what you need, Madam.” Severus promised, knowing Philip would only send the information necessary for emergency treatment.

The mediwitch continued to eye him speculatively. “And if there are any further students who come down with the Fever, we'll need the inoculation potion, Severus."

Minerva laid a hand on his sleeve as Severus opened his mouth to protest. "The two Gryffindor students are both Muggle-born, Poppy, so it is understandable that that they didn't have their potions as babies, but Severus' first-year is from an old wizarding family. How is it possible that Mr. Parks wasn't inoculated?"

The mediwitch straightened and tucked the blanket around the boy in question. "There are those pure-blood families who still adhere to the ancient beliefs that the Earth Mother will provide all they need. There are also those families who can't afford the potion or pay for an inferior one, believing it will be enough to protect their children."

"In either case," Severus interjected, his mind going back to his careful preparation of each of the inoculation potions that his son took, "it will be necessary to inoculate the Muggle-borns and any other child whose family notifies us that they haven't been."

"Or send them home for the duration of the outbreak, if their parents object," Pomfrey said firmly.

"I'll inform Albus." Minerva spun on her heel and left the infirmary.

With a nod to the mediwitch, Severus followed her, Minerva pausing as they turned the first corner. Casting Muffliato, Severus waited while his colleague cast a revealing spell. When the witch was certain they were alone, she turned back to him.

"Albus is not going to want word of this getting back to the parents, Severus," she whispered fiercely. "I have my doubts as to whether he will contact any of the parents, particularly the pure-bloods."

"Somehow that doesn't surprise me," Severus said grimly. "I'll contact Phillip and at least forewarn him, as one of the students brought this here."

"I think that is wise, Poppy may need help if this spreads," Minerva agreed. "She'll thank you in the end."

Severus looked at the witch. "I'm still not certain of her loyalties, Minerva – she's always seemed such an ardent supporter of the Headmaster."

Those dark eyes narrowed at him. "Yet she stood up to him for you in your fifth-year, Severus, when Sirius Black tried to make light of his actions. I'm ashamed to say he even had me fooled for a while."

Severus closed his eyes briefly, suddenly feeling exhausted. The last thing he needed was to remember that painful night or its aftermath. It had been one of the things that had pushed him into taking the Dark Mark and betraying everything he had always believed of himself. A hand settled on his arm and squeezed reassuringly.

"My apologies, Severus. All we can do is wait and see, I suppose." Minerva leaned closer. "The baby will be all right?"

"Yes, Rys should be fine; although he may be less than happy when he discovers we are going to spend our weekend inside, brewing."

With another pat on his arm, the Head of Gryffindor took her leave and they parted company at the stair. Severus was lost in thought as his feet carried him to his rooms. It seemed to Severus that the headmaster tended to seek forgiveness after the fact rather than seek to gain permission before hand. Would Dumbledore actually give students an inoculation without their parents' approval?

His scathing snort made Masly jump as Severus looked in on Rys. With murmured thanks, Severus dismissed the house-elf and sat on the edge of the bed. Brushing a strand of hair out of his son's face, Severus didn't expect the boy's eyes to open and a smile appear.

"Daddy," Rys said sleepily, lifting his arms for a hug.

Severus obliged, kissing the little nose before he settled the boy back down, his unicorn wrapped firmly in his arms. Leaving the door ajar, Severus went directly to the Floo, hoping that half eight was not too late to be fire-calling the Mays. Taking a pinch of Floo powder, Severus knelt down and tossed it into the low-burning fire, watching as the green flames flared.

"May Cottage, Hogsmeade!"

Sticking his head into the fire, Severus was relieved when he saw Phillip kneeling in front of the fireplace in his sitting room.

"Severus!" Phillip tied the belt of his blue dressing gown. "Rys – is he…?"

"Rys is fine, Phillip," Severus hastened to tell the healer. "I wanted to forewarn you, friend to friend, that we have three students in the hospital wing with Phoenix Fever."

Phillip frowned. "The boys had their inoculation potions a fortnight ago, Severus…" The healer's face lost color. "The Muggleborns…"

"Yes, exactly," Severus agreed grimly, holding Phillip's gaze.

"And you don't think the proper authorities will be notified."

"I'm fairly positive of it."

Phillip nodded, understanding. "And Pomfrey?"

Severus sighed. Minerva felt that the mediwitch was trustworthy, but Severus wasn't as sure. "Time will tell, but she does want Rys' medical records in order to be able to treat him in the event of an emergency."

"I will owl what she needs, Severus. Let me know if you need any assistance." Phillip flashed him a sympathetic look as he broke the Floo connection.

Standing, Severus absently brushed off the knees of his trousers. He had a feeling it was going to be a long weekend and knew he should sleep while he could, but he also knew the inoculation potion had to be started immediately. A glance told him that the door to his son's bedroom was open and Severus would be able to hear him if Rys fussed. Straightening his shoulders, Severus headed for his potions lab.




The weekend did drag on and Severus was amazed that his young son seemed to sense the urgency in which his father brewed. The boy seemed perfectly content to sit in the corner and play with his toys. Masly kept them fed, supervising Rys' during baths and dressing, and Severus always managing to tear himself away to at least read his son a story before tucking him into bed. Classes were rearranged for the week; those students susceptible to the Fever were isolated from the others and taught modified lessons in smaller groups. Severus set his younger classes to reading their textbooks and writing essays, while the NEWT-level classes were pressed into service to brew the simple medicinal potions that Madam Pomfrey needed.

Rys stayed with him, Severus not willing to take the chance of spreading the illness beyond Hogwarts, even if Kyler had had his potion. Severus lost track of the days, struggling to fulfill all the tasks that were his responsibility as Potions Master, Head of House, and father. He wouldn't put his job, and by extension his son, in jeopardy because he was tired. With Pepper-Up Potions and naps when he could, kept Severus going. He didn't even notice that Rys had begun to crawl into his bed at night, clinging to him whenever Severus had a chance to sleep.

Severus' head was pounding as he set the first-year Slytherins and Gryffindors to another essay. Sixty-two students had come down with Phoenix Fever, with most of them already recuperating in their dorms. Pomfrey believed they had prevented at least twice that many cases by administering the inoculation potion to all the Muggle-born and Muggle-raised students. Severus didn't know to what length Albus Dumbledore had gone to prevent the other students from becoming infected, but he knew the bland-tasting, colorless potion would have been easily mixed in the pumpkin juice favored by the students.

"Daddy!"

Rys' voice was unusually sharp as Severus felt a tug on his robes. Frowning, he looked down at the boy, irritated with his son's behavior in class. Rys held an apple up at him, an anxious look on the boy's face, but Severus couldn't fathom why. Was Rys hungry and wanted Severus to cut the apple up for him? His own stomach growled at the thought of food, but Severus knew all he needed was another Pepper-Up Potion.

"Professor Snape?" The red-headed urchin who had started the whole Fever debacle stood a step behind Rys.

"Weasley?"

"Can I help the little bloke, sir? He's about the same age as my youngest brother."

Scowling, Severus nodded and pointed at the sink to indicate where they could cut up the apple before turning warily back toward his classroom. The heads bent over the worktables became a blur of shades, from tawny to black. Closing his eyes for a moment, Severus attempted to will his headache away. Another tug on his robes sent a flash of irritation through him, again. Taking a deep breath, he looked down to where Rys now held up a neatly sliced apple. The look on his son's face was still apprehensive, but the brilliant eyes were determined.

"Eat, Daddy, p-u-lease."

With a poorly concealed sigh, Severus accepted the apple. Rys edged closer with a small smile as Severus bit one of the slices in half. The sweet, crisp flavor exploded in his mouth, reminding him that is had been a long time since he'd stopped to eat. Popping the other half into his mouth, Severus reached down to smooth the hair on Rys' head, before finishing the rest of the apple. Biting the last slice in half, Severus offered the other half to his son, who took it, flashing him a wide smile.

The apple seemed to take the edge off his headache as well as his hunger and Severus launched once again into the cycle of teaching, brewing, and sleeping. Exhaustion dogged him and Severus' greatest wish was to simply sleep for a week, but he knew he couldn't stop until they had mitigated the threat to the other students. Severus also knew that he couldn't give Dumbledore a chance to gain the upper hand, to fail in his responsibilities, as the Headmaster would manipulate any presumed weakness to his own advantage. Severus knew that he needed the protection of Hogwarts Castle to keep his son safe, until he could teach the boy to use his incredible power to protect himself.




Severus struggled to open his eyes and failed. Hazy dreams invaded his sleep: Rys sobbing, calling for him, and bone-chilling cold seeping into him. Somehow, Severus knew that his son was there with him, but everything else was a painful blur with every muscle in his body aching.

Rys!

He had to get up…had to take care of his son! With all his strength, Severus tried to sit up, a hand immediately settled gently on his shoulder and held him down.

"Easy, Severus," a soft voice admonished. "The baby is right here and fine."

Something cool pressed against his cheek, a whisper in his ear, "Daddy?"

Severus found the strength to move his head just enough to rub against his son's cheek, and he felt small arms around his neck tighten just before he slipped back into the beckoning darkness.

When he next surfaced to full consciousness, Severus blinked as he struggled to open his eyes fully, but darkness greeted him. His wand arm was pinned and Severus tried to assess what was going on as the fog in his mind slowly receded. The weight trapping his arm shifted with a whimper and Severus' breath froze in his chest.

"Daddy?"

Rys…Hogwarts…Phoenix Fever…Severus turned his head toward the sound, and weight transferred off his arm onto his chest.

"Daddy!"

There was an anguished, lost note packed into that single word, tearing at Severus' heart. He managed to move his other arm up to drape around the sobbing toddler. A torch flared to life and Severus couldn't stop the groan as he slammed his eyes shut. A rustle of clothing had his arm tightening around his son as Severus tried to roll to one side.

"You're safe, Severus." A firm hand halted his movement. "The poppet is fine, too, just a little overwrought."

"I'm here as well, Severus, so be still and let Poppy do what she needs to," Minerva's soft voice was as clipped as ever and reassured Severus as nothing else would have.

Relaxing back into his pillow, Severus became aware of the small hand patting his chest and Rys' snuffling breath as he lay across Severus. Magic washed over him and Severus slowly blinked his eyes until he was able to keep them open enough to look around. The torch over his bed flickered softly as Severus looked down to find anxious green eyes staring up at him out of a pale face framed by tangled hair.

"M' sweet boy…" Severus managed hoarsely and was rewarded with a blinding smile.

"Tsk, Severus, you scared the poppet to death!" Pomfrey admonished him as she moved around to the head of the bed, several potions phials in her hand. "Sit up just a bit so that you can swallow these."

Minerva appeared beside him as well, pausing to stroke Rys' cheek before helping Poppy prop him up on several pillows. Obediently, Severus drank the potions, recognizing the fever reducer and analgesic as the ones he had brewed, but not the third one. He glanced at the mediwitch sharply.

"It's a powerful immune system booster, Severus. Working yourself half to death left you vulnerable to simple viruses." Poppy Pomfrey's voice was brisk even as her hands brushed a strand of hair from his face before holding a goblet of water for him to drink.

"What…happen…?" The weakness he felt frustrated Severus.

Minerva patted his shoulder, pausing as Masly brought in a tray of food. With swift, efficient movements, the house-elf managed to talk his son into sitting up on the bed, tucked against Severus as he carefully set the tray in front of him. Rys halfheartedly began to nibble at a piece of cheese, carefully keeping one hand on Severus' arm.

"Apparently Rys couldn't get you to wake up yesterday morning, and Altor summoned me as he was concerned. Masly was still attempting to coax the baby into letting him get assistance when I slipped through the wards," Minerva told him as she petted Rys' hair. "Just as I arrived, Albus was at the door and invoked his powers as Headmaster to enter the sitting room. He must have known, as he had Poppy with him and told Masly to ready Rys as he was going to remove the child for his own good."

Severus felt Rys press closer, ducking his head down to stare at the food in front of him. Minerva continued to stroke the toddler's hair, and Severus struggled to stay alert as the tension built around him. Even Pomfrey had stopped her infernal fussing.

"That was when your son decided that no one was going to take him anywhere and erected a barrier around you and he that not even Albus could get through."

Severus turned his head slightly, catching the furtive glance his son gave him, clearly afraid he was in trouble.

"She'ld," Rys said softly.

"A what?" Severus frowned, fighting against the fuzziness in his brain.

"She'ld, Daddy." Rys looked up, his eyes wary. "The man sa'd to."

Severus blinked once, his eyes darting up to meet Minerva's and back down to Rys. "What man, sweet boy?"

"On'a wall, Daddy." Rys watched his face closely, but Severus could only gape at him.

"I believe he means the tapestry, Severus," Minerva interjected, and Rys nodded his head, still watching Severus.

Severus managed to lift his hand and stroke his fingertips down his son's sticky cheek, before dropping it across Rys' thigh. Rys smiled happily and scooted closer, offering Severus a sliver of cheese, which he allowed the toddler to feed him.

"I was able to transform and slip behind the shield, where even in his panicked state, the baby recognized me. Rys apparently thought Poppy was acceptable as well, because he let her come in to take care of you, but Albus never did make it into the room." Minerva smirked, reaching down to nick a piece of meat off the tray.

"It seems the poppet is a better judge of character than some adults." Madam Pomfrey sniffed as she flicked her wand across his chest.

Severus ignored the prickle of guilt as his mind was still trying to make sense of the fact that his two-year-old son seemed to be able to converse with a woven image of the great sorcerer that hung in his sitting room. Worn out from the short time he'd been awake, Severus felt his mind give up the attempt to think, and with the knowledge that his son was in safe hands, let his eyes slide closed. Rys' reassuring weight was nestled against his side as he succumbed to sleep once again.




Severus surveyed the first-years, eyes sharp for anything irregular as the combined Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw class worked on the Shrinking Potion. He circled the room once before returning to his desk, sinking gratefully into his chair. Poppy had been furious that Severus had insisted on returning to his teaching immediately, but he couldn't taken the chance. Any display of weakness would be taken advantage of immediately, Severus knew. Rys had been delighted to see his friend Kyler, but reluctant to leave Severus' side. It had taken a fair amount of reassurance and a promise to pop in at lunch before his son had settled down.

"Bottle your potions and bring them up," Severus snapped as he checked the time.

The students scampered to comply with his instructions, none of them wanting to take the chance at being late for lunch. Severus levitated the samples into his office, stripping off his protective outer robes just as the door opened.

"Severus, my boy, a moment please."

Quickly checking his Occlumency shields, Severus turned to face Albus Dumbledore. "Headmaster?"

"Ah, Severus, it is good to see you back on your feet." The elderly wizard studied him, one hand stroking his beard.

"Thank you, Headmaster." Severus inclined his head slightly and waited.

"And little Har…Rys, how is he faring?"

Severus met the blue eyes steadily, chin lifting a fraction in pride. "My son is doing just fine, Headmaster."

Dumbledore nodded, pacing in front of Severus' desk, his hand continuing to stroke his long white beard. "I fear that we have gotten off on the wrong foot, young Rys and I, which truly disturbs me."

"Perhaps," Severus said carefully, "Rys remembers that you are the one who left him on the Dursleys' doorstep, Headmaster."

"Yes, yes, possibly," Dumbledore brushed his words aside. "Be that as it may, the child will need to start training his magic, as any child does when they begin to exhibit accidental magic."

Severus refrained from pointing out that Rys' magic had been anything but accidental and seemed well controlled from what Minerva had described. "I will be seeing to Rys' training, Headmaster. Now, if you'll excuse me?"

Dumbledore frowned at him as Severus turned. "Keep in mind that I'd be happy to assist in the training as well, Severus, as you may need help channeling that amount of power."

Biting his tongue against the retort that surfaced, Severus moved through to his rooms, pausing to give the tapestry on the wall a nod of acknowledgement as he'd done since his recovery. Tossing Floo powder into the flames, Severus stepped into the fireplace and allowed it to whisk him to the cottage. Masly greeted him, just as the sound of pounding little feet announced Rys' arrival.

"Daddy!"

Severus caught his son, tossing him high before hugging him tightly. Stepping into the kitchen, Severus was surprised to find Bernard and Phillip conversing around the beautifully arranged table, while Hannah amused Kyler in his highchair. Greetings were exchanged as Severus settled Rys in his chair before seating himself.

"You are still looking pale, Severus," Phillip told him as Masly began to serve them lunch.

Severus shot him a scathing look as Rys glanced up at him with concern, but Phillip held his eyes steadily. "I am fine, Phillip, truly. I just need a bit more rest tonight."

Gesturing with his knife, Bernard pointed at him. "I've seen you look worse, old man, but you do need to make sure you keep your strength up."

"I realize that." Severus tried not to bristle as Rys leaned toward him anxiously. "I'll make every effort – "

"I think I've found one of the wills, Severus."

Bernard's quiet words cut across his retort and Severus snapped his mouth closed. His friend nodded his head slightly to verify the words, and Severus swallowed, hard. He could feel Phillip's eyes on him as his son’s hand caught at his sleeve. Patting it absently, Severus nodded and then concentrated on preparing a plate of food for little fingers to manage. Setting the dish in front of Rys, Severus stroked a finger down his son's cheek, glancing up at the adults at the table. These were his most trusted friends and they knew how important this was to him.

"I believe we are going to play the alphabet game this afternoon," Hannah piped up brightly, steering the conversation to the boy and earning Severus' gratitude.

It wasn't until Severus retrieved Rys that afternoon that he found Bernard waiting for him in the cottage when they returned. Rys gave the big man a shy smile before following Masly into the kitchen for a snack. Silently, Bernard handed Severus a thick sheet of parchment and Severus sat heavily into his chair before carefully unfolding it, willing his stomach to stop fluttering.

It was the will of Regulus Black. The legal document consisted of one paragraph, willing all his possessions to his brother, Sirius. Severus blinked, faintly disappointed as he reread the words the seventeen-year-old had written.

"Black hated his brother." Severus looked up at Bernard as he helped himself to a drink. "Why make him his heir?"

Bernard nodded in agreement. "Look at the phrasing, though, Severus. ‘These items are better suited to your aptitudes than mine, especially the serpent's locket with its soul of Darkness.’"

Frowning, Severus reread the passage. ‘Soul of Darkness’? I wonder if this locket has something to do with the Dark Lord?"

"That was my assumption, especially given that Sirius was an Auror," Bernard added.

"How did you manage to get a copy of this?" Severus asked as he once again reread the cryptic sentence.

"Told the clerk at the Ministry that I represented Black's heir." The big man grinned impishly and Severus rolled his eyes. "She didn't ask which Black I represented, but it was a good thing I asked about this will, as she suddenly remembered a meeting she was late for when I asked for copies of the Potters' wills."

Severus' head snapped up. "Memory Charm?"

"Yes," Bernard swirled the amber liquid in his glass thoughtfully.

Something was nagging at Severus as he stared at the document in his hand. "It just doesn't make sense! Regulus had become disenchanted, as I remember, so why would he leave this to the brother he hated, if Black was actually loyal to the Dark Lord?"

"Regulus wrote the will two days before he was killed," Bernard said softly. "At the Dark Lord's own hand according to rumor, yet he wills everything to his brother, an Auror whose devotion to Dumbledore seemed unquestionable."

"Who turned around and did the unimaginable!" Severus felt fury surge through him.

"Did he, Severus?" Bernard met his eyes steadily. "Did he really abandon a lifetime of devotion to a way of thinking and betray his best friend? And what self-respecting Auror like Potter would use the most obvious person as a secret keeper?"

Severus attempted to manage the anger that always arose in him at the thought of the two people who had tormented him so much while in school. Admittedly, James Potter had returned from his captivity a changed man, Lily had assured him; but Severus was still deeply embittered by the treatment he'd received while they were all students at Hogwarts.

"Severus?" Bernard extended a glass to him. "There is only one person who can answer the question, but if your hatred is going to blind you to the glaring anomalies in this whole story, then it will be your son who suffers."

Taking a healthy gulp of the whisky, Severus swallowed. Concentrating on the burn as it slid down his throat instead of the anger that threatened to override any good sense, Severus closed his eyes tightly for a moment, before looking again at his friend. He narrowed his eyes at the intense expression there.

"If you have a theory, Bernard, just spit it out!" Severus snapped, taking another, smaller sip of his drink.

A hand settled on his shoulder briefly. "You suffered at the hands of James Potter and Sirius Black, Severus," Bernard acknowledged quietly, "but you must get past that, for Rys' sake. I'm not asking you to befriend Black, just to speak to him."

A sound drew Severus' attention to the doorway where anxious green eyes peered around the edge. Lifting his hand, Severus beckoned his son to him, handing the sheet of parchment back to Bernard before lifting his son into his lap. Stroking a hand through the toddler's fine hair seemed to calm both of them, and as Rys rested his head against his chest, Severus looked up at his friend.

"You don't believe Black did it?"

Bernard knocked back the rest of his whisky. "I have always wondered why Black was immediately thrown into Azkaban, without benefit of trial or even given to the Aurors for questioning. No one ever attempted to question him under Veritaserum, Severus. Don't you think that odd? Especially when it appeared that the baby had defeated the Dark Lord?"

Calmed by Rys' presence, Severus considered Bernard's words. The lack of interrogation surprised him, as had the lack of a trial over the past year as he had always believed Black was a prime candidate for a Dementor's Kiss. Not even Dumbledore would have been able to save Black from that!

"Dumbledore!" Severus frowned. "Only Dumbledore would have had the influence to ensure that Black was locked away without ever being questioned."

"And have Lupin sent away," Bernard agreed. "One way to get clear access to a newly 'orphaned' baby – godfather imprisoned, biological father dissuaded from seeking custody, and the one man who might have protested, disappeared."

Severus could only stare as his worldview tilted. A small hand slid under his where it rested on Rys' leg, the tiny fingers playing with his ring, as Severus forced his lungs to draw in his next breath.

"If Black didn't betray Lily and Potter…"

"Then he must have taken off after the only one he knew could have sold them out, the real Secret Keeper." Bernard nodded as he finished Severus' thought.

Closing his eyes, Severus replayed the nightmare of that night in his mind, but instead of making Black the villain, he applied his own grief-stricken rage to the Auror. There was no doubt in his mind that Black would only have abandoned his godson to Dumbledore's care in order to pursue…who?

Severus' eyes popped open as it hit him. "Pettigrew?"

"Possibly." Bernard set his empty glass on the table and slid the will back into the pocket of his robes. "It could have been Lupin, but I doubt it – there was a reason Black took off after Pettigrew like he did."

Severus nodded as he grimly remembered the aftermath of the encounter and the Muggles who’d died. "What do you suggest?"

Bernard reached to pet Rys' hair gently, watching as he was rewarded with a shy smile. "Fancy a trip to Azkaban?"



To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431