My Son by Terri
Summary: Severitus - Snape knows he is Harry’s father, but his desperate attempts to gain custody fail. He vows that he will protect his son, by any means.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Petunia, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 132477 Read: 75465 Published: 04 Nov 2007 Updated: 15 Apr 2020
Chapter 9 by Terri



Severus edged along the wall as the guard gestured towards the cell at the end of the short corridor. A single torch flickered weakly high on the windowless wall in this special section of the wizarding prison, Azkaban. The bitter cold of the North Sea seeped into the stone walls of the fortress and right into Severus' bones. A flutter of unease made Severus straighten his back as he followed Bernard to the far end of the passage. A wild female cackle raised the hairs on the back of his neck, and Severus wondered idly how Bellatrix Lestrange was enduring her captivity.

Bernard stopped and they both peered into the shadows of the filthy cell, a black shape lying curled up on the soiled mattress.

"Sirius? Sirius Black?" Bernard pitched his voice low but sharp.

The figure started and Severus narrowed his eyes as the shape seemed to lengthen and thin. An unkempt tangle of hair emerged first, the sliver of light illuminating a face that in less than a year had lost the inherent good looks of Black's youth to become gaunt and drawn. Severus tried not to gloat for a moment on how the great Sirius Black had fallen, biting his lip to keep a triumphant sneer from erupting.

"Who…who're you?" The voice was gravely, as if from disuse, and Black coughed, one hand moving to massage his throat. "I haven't had a visitor in all these months."

"I told them I was the solicitor for your heir," Bernard said quietly. "I think maybe they thought I was your solicitor. Started to tell me you weren't allowed to speak to anyone, but I was able to, er, persuade him."

Black's eyes narrowed slightly and Severus could almost feel the man's brain begin to function, albeit sluggishly.

"A solicitor and a Slytherin, too, if I remember right." Suspicion crept into Black's voice. "Barry, Bernie, something like that if I remember."

Bernard inclined his head. "Bernard McBride, actually, and I just had a question that needed to be answered regarding the heir you listed in your will."

Severus was surprised when Black went rigid and look on his face raised the hair on Severus' neck. The prisoner drew himself up to his full height and squared his shoulders, the mention of Rys seeming to have brought the life back to Black as his lip curled into a sneer.

"My godson is my only heir. Are you trying to tell me something has happened…?"

"No!" Bernard cut through Black's rising voice. "He is safe at the moment, but it seems that his parents' wills have disappeared and he needs them to ensure his continued safety."

Black seemed to have trouble assimilating the information and Bernard tried a different tactic. "You have seen the wills?"

"Yes, but what do you mean? If he's not with Sn…no! Not the Muggles!"

Bernard held up a hand as Severus felt his jaw drop. Black knew. He knew that Rys was Severus' son, so it had to be in one or the other will! The guard near the door shuffled his feet and Severus knew they weren't going to have much more time; the Dementors didn't like visitors to linger.

"Were you their Secret Keeper, Black?" Severus leaned past Bernard to make eye contact, the hood of the cloak falling back a little to expose his face.

Black reared back as if struck, recognition instantaneous, but didn't look away. "No. Pettigrew was."

"And... the Headmaster knew that?"

"Yes."

"And yet you are still here?"

Black looked away, lifting a trembling hand to push the filthy hair back from his face. "Yes, but I had hoped…"

"Would you consent to an interrogation under Veritaserum?" Bernard asked swiftly.

"Yes, but…"

"Do you want a solicitor? And help clearing your name?"

"You'd do that for me?" Black looked between them, sounding incredulous.

Severus gritted his teeth, so wanting to inflict pain, to pour salt in the wound, but they needed Black – more importantly, Rys needed Black. "I would do anything for my son, Black, even assist you in recovering your freedom."

There was a certain satisfaction to watching the nemesis of his youth drop his jaw in astonishment. Perhaps Black had never thought of the circumstances in those terms, and then his mouth snapped shut with an audible click.

"You're putting a lot of faith in one piece of information," Black hissed between gritted teeth.

"Not really," Bernard interject, also noticing the guard's restlessness. "Only the Secret Keeper could have betrayed your friends, but I do want to know why you pursued Pettigrew instead of taking care of…"

"I didn't have any choice!" The anguish and grief in Black's were genuine, Severus knew. "I wasn't even allowed to hold him or comfort him! So I gave Hagrid my motorcycle to deliver the baby to Hogwarts and went to find the bastard that…"

"Where was Lupin?"

"Full moon that night." Black shook his head. "He couldn't have helped."

"And you are willing to take an Unbreakable Vow to protect your godson and his father?" There was no demand in Bernard's voice, just inquiry.

Severus tensed, torn between his old animosity and the need to ensure Rys' safety with Lily's will to seal his right to custody. He kept his face carefully neutral as he felt Black's gaze flicker over him.

"My best mate was able to accept the unusual situation and loved that baby, gave his life to protect him – and I swore the same thing when I was bestowed the honor of being his godfather. Yes, I would protect them both."

Bernard looked at him and Severus rubbed a finger over the heritage ring before giving a slight nod, emotion swirling inside of him. A devious smile erupted on his friend's face and Severus was very glad he was on the same side as Bernard.

"Guard! Summon the Warden here - immediately! Sirius Black is innocent!"

Black's eyes widened and he looked frantically at Severus. "Dumbledore isn't going to be happy, is he?"

"I truly hope it gives him indigestion," Severus responded with a smirk.




Rys seemed restless as Severus gave him his bath, the toddler throwing the bottle that held the shampoo into the water, splashing Severus in the face. Gritting his teeth, as the toddler seemed torn between contrite and defiant, Severus lifted him out without allowing him time to play. Severus thought he had masked his irritation while drying his son with a towel, until he saw a tear slide silently down Rys face and his chin trembling in an attempt not to cry.

With a sigh, Severus wrapped Rys in the towel and carried him into the sitting room. Sinking down on the rug in front of the hearth, Severus settled the toddler into his lap.

"I'm sorry I've been cross this evening," Severus whispered softly, smiling as Rys wrestled his arms out of the towel. "You've been a good boy and shouldn't have to put up with Daddy being out of sorts."

Rys leaned his head back against Severus and reached toward Severus' face. Intercepting the hand, Severus brought it to his lips and pressed a kiss into the palm, folding the small fingers over it. The toddler gave him a tentative smile and Severus ran his thumb over the little fist.

"Daddy an'dry?"

"No, sweet boy. I am just apprehensive about things that aren't what they appeared to be," Severus told his son carefully, very cognizant of their setting and suspecting that the walls of Hogwarts had ears.

"'m sorry, Daddy."

Severus turned Rys in his arms and hugged him, pressing a kiss to the damp hair. "I love you, Harry James Snape."

Small arms slid around his neck and squeezed, Rys' kiss landing just beneath his jaw.

"I love you, Daddy!" Rys told him, carefully annunciating each word.

Smiling, Severus silently Summoned Rys' pajamas, rocking slightly side to side as he enjoyed the moment of closeness. Rys seemed to relish that his daddy was dressing him like a baby, when they both knew the toddler was capable of dressing himself. Severus just enjoyed an uncomplicated moment of closeness, pushing his concerns and worries to the side. Tickling Rys' tummy, Severus found himself grinning as his son convulsed in laughter. It was nice to see that Rys had gained a bit on weight and no longer looked like a half-starved waif.

"Daddy! Puppy!" Rys gasped, pointing over his shoulder.

Turning, Severus saw a silvery English bulldog flying across the room towards them. He recognized Bernard's Patronus. Righting Rys' pajamas, Severus picked up the toddler as the dog circled them once, before stopping.

"Exonerated fully under Veritaserum by Bones and Scrimgeour. Sending to Headland House."

Part of Severus was relieved at the news, but another part wanted to rail at the fact that he had no living individual who he could rage at for his beloved Lily's death. Even Severus knew that the grief he still carried was unhealthy, and for his son's sake, he was trying to overcome it, knowing it would do nothing but embitter him.

"W'at's that, Daddy?" Rys' eyes were round as he watched the Patronus disappear through the wall.

Severus smiled, pushing his negative thoughts away. "It's magic, sweet boy, special magic that can bring messages. The dog is a Patronus and it's from Bernard."

"Bern'ard?" Rys grinned widely, his baby teeth gleaming in the firelight and Severus had to laugh.

"Yes, Bern'ard!" Severus mussed the silky hair. "How would you like to have an apple before bed?"

"Yes, p'ease, Daddy!" Rys' face lit up and he clapped his hands together.

Kissing the toddler's nose, Severus set Rys down on the couch and moved into the small kitchen area. Choosing an apple from the bowl of fruit that Masly kept filled for them, Severus Summoned a small knife. He began to dismantle the apple with quick, practiced strokes, his thoughts returning to the message he'd just received. Sirius Black, a guest in one of his houses, was something Severus never thought would happen.

The presence of his old nemesis was in reality a small sacrifice to keep his son safe, as long as Black's loyalty was to Rys and not to Dumbledore. It was up to Severus to master his own resentment and come to a fair decision. If Severus couldn't trust the man James Potter had chosen as his son's godfather due to his own prejudices, Rys would be the loser. Black must know something about the locket that his brother had left him, possibly he could even lead them to it and provide an explanation of the Dark organic substance in Rys' curse scar.

Stepping back into the sitting room, Severus stopped as he saw Rys standing in front of the wall tapestry, one small hand brushing along the bottom of Merlin's robes. A feeling of unease swept over Severus, who set down the apple slices and knelt beside his son. He reached out and tentatively laid his fingers against the woven surface. It felt warm to the touch, the yarn alive with a benevolent energy, and Severus' eyes darted upwards, but the figure never wavered. Rys leaned against him with a soft sigh and somehow, through his fingertips, Severus felt reassurance and approval.

"Man likes Daddy," Rys told him softly.

Severus straightened up, his fingers lingering for a moment before he put his arm around his son. "Perhaps your man will like me well enough someday to speak to me as well, Rys."




The headlands were shrouded in a damp fog as Severus Apparated with Rys. The magic of the protection wards seemed to welcome them, and Rys lifted his head from Severus' shoulder to look around when he felt the tingle. The house immerged from the mist as they grew closer, the cry of a seagull in the distance bringing back the memories of their last walk, and Severus hoped they'd be able to spend time there during the summer hols.

The front door slowly opened as they approached and Masly stood waiting, impatience etched in every line. Severus hid a smile as Rys' face lit up at the sight of the house-elf, squirming to get down. Setting his son on his feet, Severus watched as the toddler ran to greet Masly.

Just as Rys got to the threshold, a dark haired man in blue robes stepped out, scaring the toddler. Severus wasn't sure if Rys Apparated into his arms or Severus Summoned him, but in an instant Rys was there, clinging to him as he shook.

"Brilliant, Black!" Severus snapped, wrapping his arms around his son.

Sirius Black looked crestfallen at his godson's reaction and Severus found that instead of feeling triumphant, he was angry on Rys' behalf. As he glared at Black, Severus was surprised when the man transformed into a large, black dog. Flashing back to the visit to Azkaban, Severus realized that Black had transformed there as well – the shape that lengthened on the bed. An Animagus in his animal form would be more likely to retain their sanity when in close contact with Dementors, the animal mind not possessing the sophistication of higher emotions like a human mind.

"Black! Stay in that form and approach slowly!"

Severus stroked Rys' hair, murmuring to his reassuringly as his son clung to him. The dog padded over to him, Masly following with a disapproving frown.

"Everything is fine, sweet boy, I promise. That man is your godfather and while he may be a bit scary to look at, he is relatively harmless." Severus kissed Rys on the temple, before gently turning the toddler in his arms. "Look here, you wanted to see a dog, didn't you?"

Rys' looked up hesitantly, eyes darting towards the open door before looking down where Severus gestured. Watching carefully, Severus was amused when he saw Rys' eyes narrow at the dog who sat in front of them, a woeful expression on its face. Severus slowly crouched down, bringing Rys down to eye level with Black.

Rys looked at him uncertainly. "Puppy, Daddy?"

"A puppy like Professor McGonagall is a cat, Rys," Severus explained, extending a reluctant hand and awkwardly patting Black on the head.

Rys followed his lead, reaching to pat the dog's head before yanking his hand back. Black, obviously catching on, inched forward and butted Rys' hand to encourage another pat. Looping an arm around Severus' neck, Rys leaned further, petting the dog. Black practically preened under the questing fingers, turning his head to lick at Rys' fingers, pulling a giggle from the toddler. Severus set Rys down, but kept both hands on the small shoulders as the boy patted the dog on the head.

"Master Severus!" Masly all but stomped his foot in frustration. "Breakfast be waiting!"

Rys' head came up. "Pan'cakes?" he asked hopefully.

"Of course, young Master," Masly intoned seriously, hiding a smile.

"Come then, inside with you." Severus ushered the others into the house, shutting and warding the door behind him.

Rys stayed closed to him as they moved into the kitchen, still a little leery of the shaggy dog. Severus crouched down beside his son, shooting a glare at Black.

"You remember how Professor McGonagall can become a cat, sweet boy?"

"Yes, Daddy." Rys looked up at him.

"Well, this dog is actually a man named Sirius Black, who has come a long way to see you."

Rys curled his hand around Severus' fingers where one hand rested on his waist. "Me?"

"Yes," Severus said quietly, nodding at the Animagus. "This is your godfather, Sirius Black."

Black at least had the intelligence to transform into a sitting position so that he was on eyelevel with the toddler. Rys edged closer to Severus, a finger going into his mouth in what Severus now recognized as a nervous gesture.

"Hi, Harry!" Black said softly, smiling.

Severus stifled a snicker as his son bristled.

"'m Rys!" Eyes narrowing, the toddler announced, damp finger pointing at his own chest.

Black seemed taken aback, his eyes darting towards Severus as a frown creased his forehead. "Rys?"

Rys nodded and Severus pressed a kiss the top of his head. "It's his preference – apparently he only heard his full name when he was in trouble."

Black's jaw dropped. "How could a baby get into any…?"

Severus shot a warning glare at Black, who snapped his mouth shut abruptly. "A lurid tale that is best saved for later." Turning his son slightly, Severus brushed the fine hair out of Rys' face. "Mr. Black was a friend of Daddy James, do you remember?"

Rys seemed to study his godfather face, cocking his head to the side, but ended up shrugging his shoulders. "'lo, Mis'der B'ack."

Black seemed to deflate and Severus watched as Rys took a hesitant step toward him, reaching out to pat his knee. Straightening up, Black reached towards Rys, only to have the toddler flinch back, once again throwing himself into Severus' arms.

"For Merlin's sake, Snape! What the hell have you done to him?"

Sirius Black surged to his feet and took a step forward, only to find himself thrown back as he was zapped by a small bolt of energy as Rys threw up his hand.

"No hurt Daddy!" Rys yelled and Severus didn't even try to hide the smirk that erupted.

Black picked himself up slowly from the floor, dusting himself off carefully. "You look scarily like your mum when you get angry, Rys."

The statement drew a small smile from his son as Severus snorted. "You can consider yourself lucky, Bl – Sirius, you should have seen what he did when Dumbledore upset him."

Leading the way to the table, Severus didn't even try to get his son to sit in his chair, understanding that Rys needed reassurance that he was safe when Severus was with him. Black appeared to be stunned, even though Severus was sure that Bernard had explained the circumstances in which Severus had retrieved his son. Settling Rys on his lap, Severus fixed a pancake and cut it up into small pieces before handing the fork to the toddler. Clearly delighted by his father's unusual relaxing of the rules, Rys dove into his breakfast.

Severus reached for his tea, noting that Black had a full English in front of him, but had yet to take a bite. His eyes lingered on Rys' bowed head before slowly raising and meeting Severus'.

"I thought McBride was exaggerating, that even Pet…even that woman wouldn't hurt a baby," Black said conversationally, cutting into his sausage. "I can't believe Dumbledore made those arrangements; he knew Lily and James' wishes."

"Yes, just as he was well aware of who their Secret Keeper was, but still sent you haring after Pettigrew while letting everyone else believe you were responsible for the betrayal."

Black's head snapped up and he met Severus' eyes for several long seconds, Severus glimpsing the swirl of emotions there. Guilt and anger blended with betrayal and hurt, and despite his best intentions, Severus felt sympathy for the man. It grated on him, as Severus wanted to feel triumphant and crow at his old nemesis' pain, but instead he felt sympathy and an unwanted kinship.

Rys shifted in his lap, leaning back against him to tilt his head back. "Daddy sad?"

Severus reached to brush a strand of fine hair from his son's face. "Perhaps a little bit, sweet boy, but that is all behind us. Finish eating your breakfast."

Sipping his tea as Rys carefully ate his pancakes, Severus watched the toddler's eyes dart up to glance at Black, before skittering back down as the man pushed his food around his plate. There was still a little tension in Rys' little body, almost as if he were afraid he'd be reprimanded. Setting his cup down, Severus helped Rys drink his milk from a charmed cup, wincing at the stickiness on the little fingers.

Lifting Rys down, Severus kissed the top of his son's head. "Why don't you let Masly help you wash up, sweet boy?"

The house-elf appeared beside them at the mention of his name and Rys smiled, shooting a glance at Black before following Masly from the room.

"That fucking bitch!" Sirius Black ground out between clenched teeth as he pushed his plate away from him. "I knew Petunia was a piece of work, but I never dreamed she'd hurt a baby!"

Severus blew out a breath, his own anger threatening to rise. "He was covered with bruises and malnourished when I brought him home, flinching at every movement."

Black's hands clenched into fists on the table and Severus didn't need to be a Legilimens to know what he was thinking.

"May I ask how you managed to get custody?"

Meeting Black's eyes, Severus couldn't help the sneer of contempt for Vernon Dursley that twisted his lips. "I purchased him."

Black's jaw dropped and in any other circumstance Severus would have felt smug to have dumbfounded the man. Quickly casting a Muffliato as he heard Rys' laughter float into the kitchen, Severus still winced when Black exploded in rage. Severus cleared the table with a flick of his wand and then led the still ranting man into the sitting room. Much of what Black said, Severus himself had expressed at one time or another, both about the Dursleys and about the self-recrimination with which he was flogging himself.

"Was Remus able to help you or did Dumbledore…?"

"Lupin?" Severus couldn't keep the disgust from his voice. "He hasn't been seen since the funeral!"

Black looked incredulous. "Remus knew I wasn't the Secret Keeper and should have known with me in Azkaban that it was up to him to protect Har…Rys!"

Severus sneered at him, biting his tongue as he waited for Black to see through his own blind loyalties. He had no doubt of the role that Albus Dumbledore had played in Lupin's absence. Lupin had been the quiet, intelligent cornerstone of the four who called themselves the Marauders, but instead of curtailing their cruel tricks, Lupin had enabled Black's and Potter's sense of entitlement. A meek dormouse who wouldn't speak against his mates, despite his full moon alter ego.

"Dumbledore!" Black spat out, turning his agitation into energy as he paced. "Remus would have followed whatever the Headmaster directed him to do."

Severus nodded, that much he'd worked out for himself, which didn't improve his opinion of Lupin. The Floo flared green, shutting off that train of thought as Bernard stepped through, carefully taking in the scene, as Black paced towards the kitchen.

"That would mean he'd have to be Obliviated or he would have done something." Black's voice held a desperate tone, and Severus knew he wanted to find something redeeming in the last of his friends.

"Hello, Bernard." Severus inclined his head toward the new arrival, before addressing Black. "Lupin was undoubtedly directed away from where Rys was placed, possibly even Obliviated, which seems to fit the circumstances I have encountered."

"As have I," Bernard interjected as he stepped forward to stand beside Severus, sliding a slender package out of his pocket, which he extended to Black. "Here is your wand and I have your Gringotts keys here, too."

"Daddy?"

Severus tore his eyes from the raw emotion of Sirius Black's face as he accepted the wrapped wand to his son standing in the doorway. Canceling the muffling spell that didn't seem to have worked on the toddler anyway. Severus beckoned Rys forward, pleased when his son leaned against his leg instead of hiding behind it.

"Hello, Rys." Bernard smiled.

"'lo, B'nard." Rys gave him a shy smile in return and Severus stroked a hand through his hair in approval.

"I don't know what to say, McBride…Bernard." Black sat down on the couch, slowly opening the plain, brown wrapper. "How did you get it?"

Bernard made eye contact with Severus before answering. "As you were never charged with, nor found guilty of any crime, your wand was sent to your vault, where, as your new solicitor, I was able to retrieve it. The goblins don't care to get involved in the politics of the Wizarding world, as you know, and had no problem allowing me access."

Black nodded. "Thank you."

Black carefully removed the parchment before cradling the wand in his hand, as if savoring the feel, before lighting the tip of his wand with a simple Lumos, simply watching it for a moment before whispering Nox. It was almost as if they were intruding on an intimate moment, and Severus glanced at Bernard instead. A slight shake of his head told Severus that he'd not found the wills they were looking for.

"Here are the keys to yours and Regulus' vaults." Bernard held out his hand, two small golden keys sitting on his palm.

Black reached for them. "But how? My mother disowned me…"

Bernard held up his hand to stop Black. "Your father did not formally disown you, nor could he under the ancient bloodline laws that are still in place. Add to that the fact that your brother named you his solo heir, cutting even your mother out of any of the Black family assets that he had inherited when your father died." Bernard grimaced. "Your mother retains control of the London house until she dies, although I think she's already gone round the twist."

Black gave a pained smile. "Still treating that foul house-elf like a lap dog?"

Severus could see by Bernard's expression that whatever they were talking about was still going on, but Rys shifted restlessly against his leg and Severus dropped his hand to card through his son's hair. Black's eyes followed the motion as he pocketed the keys.

"The wills?"

Bernard shook his head. "I couldn't find them in either of the vaults."

"My copies should have been in my vault!" Black ran his hand through his hair. "I filed the originals with the Ministry myself just after Har…er, Rys was born."

"Do you remember the name of the solicitor who drew the wills up?" Bernard leaned forward.

"The same one that had been used by the Potter family for eons," Black told him. "DuPont was the last name."

"Sean DuPont," Bernard supplied. "He took over from his father about the time James' parents died. The Duponts are strong supporters of Dumbledore, as I remember."

"Which means they have already been turned over to Dumbledore as well." Severus said bitterly and Rys looked up at him.

"Not necessarily," Bernard interjected as Severus reached down, picking up his son. "If the DuPonts are such supporters of Albus Dumbledore, he might not have felt them a threat. Therefore, they may still retain a copy in their offices."

Hope surged in Severus as he settled Rys on his hip and even Black appeared to perk-up. Rys gave Severus a smile as he looped an arm around Severus' shoulder, holding tightly. Bernard grinned, well pleased with himself, Severus thought, the plans already formulating in his head, no doubt. Severus knew he'd chosen well when he'd chosen Bernard McBride.

A flash of gold startled everyone as Fawkes appeared, hovering near the ceiling, a parchment scroll clasped in a talon. Harry giggled as the phoenix swooped down, flying a slow loop around Severus and the toddler, softly trilling.

"'lo, Fawkes!" Rys leaned out towards the phoenix, hand reaching toward the scroll.

Fawkes sounded a sharp note and pulled back from Rys, looking down at Black, but still not coming within anyone's reach. A wingtip brushed the side of Rys face as Fawkes made another sharp sound.

"Is the message for Black, Fawkes?" Severus asked, knowing that Dumbledore would surely summon the man as soon as his release was known.

The phoenix gave a nod as Sirius Black rose to his feet. Severus shook his head as Fawkes moved further backwards.

"I will also bet that the message is spelled to your eyes only and is actually a Portkey."

Again, the great scarlet head bobbed as Black's eyes narrowed. "I think I'd like to have a conversation with the Headmaster, actually."

"Don't be a blood…don't be an idiot, Black! If you touch that without swearing your fidelity to Severus and Rys, Dumbledore will be able to gain access to everything that you have learned here!" Bernard admonished him.

By the expression on his face, it seemed that Black hadn't thought about that, bent on his own goal of confronting the man who left him to rot in Azkaban. Fawkes was once again thrilling, possibly trying to encourage the git, Severus thought waspishly. Rys stirred in his arms, twisting to see what Black was doing. Severus watched as Black looked from the phoenix to Rys, taking a step forward. Rys tensed slightly, but allowed Black to touch his leg.

"What do you think, cub? Would you be all right with that, because I'd sure like to be your godfather, if your dad is willing?"

A slow nod of Rys' head had Black grinning and Fawkes singing louder. Narrowing his eyes, Severus glanced at Bernard before extending his free hand towards Black. There was nothing tentative about the way Black grasped it, and an abundance of determination in his eyes as he met Severus'. The Gryffindor traits that had been used against Black in the past, would serve Severus and his son well. Fawkes settled lower and Severus realized that he knew what was happening, seemingly approving of the vow.

"Who is going to be our binder?" Black asked, looking at Bernard.

"Fawkes!" Rys interjected firmly as the phoenix hovered.

Black frowned, no doubt wondering why the toddler would trust Albus Dumbledore's familiar, but Severus didn't feel like explaining. Black could figure out for himself the connotations of Fawkes' actions. Black shrugged and renewed the grip on Severus' hand.

"I, Sirius Black, vow on my magic and my life to protect Harry James Potter Snape and his father, Severus Snape, from any threat or harm. I will not be able to give information, voluntarily or involuntarily, that might put either in jeopardy. I will uphold this vow with my very soul."

Severus felt Rys shift forward in the middle of Black's impromptu vow and place his hand over theirs. Fawkes screeched loudly, brushing the clasped hands with a wingtip and a ribbon of gold appeared, encircling them.

"I accept the vow of fidelity for myself and my son," Severus intoned formally.

"Yes!" Rys added, smiling at his godfather for the first time.

Fawkes screeched again and rose, as Severus felt his hand squeezed gently before pulling it away. To his surprise, Black took a step closer, holding out his hand towards Rys.

"Can I just…?" Black seemed to plead with the toddler.

Rys looked up at him and Severus gave him a nod, squelching his apprehension as he did so. Sirius Black had been James Potter's choice for the child he loved as his son; Severus would honor that, for Lily. Rys leaned forward, extending his arms towards Black, who carefully took him into his arms. Severus could feel the hesitation in Rys, but was proud as the toddler slid his arms around Black's neck and giving him a tentative hug.

"Un'ca Sir'us."

Black turned his head and buried his face in Rys' robe, shoulders shaking suspiciously. Fawkes began to trill again, the phoenix song soothing as Rys' patted his godfather's head. He looked over his shoulder at Severus who tried to smile encouragingly at him. The toddler continued to pat Black's hair as he would if the man was in his Animagus form. Black seemed to gather himself together and lifted his head, carefully kissing Rys on the cheek.

"When I get things settled, maybe your dad will let us spend some time together." Black's tone was hopeful and he looked at Severus as he handed Rys back.

"I believe we can arrange something, Bla…Sirius." Severus was willing to accept the man's presence in their lives, slowly.

"Excellent!" Black took a deep breath, turning to Bernard. "Would you mind holding onto these Gringotts keys for me, McBride? I'd like to get into Reggie's vault before anyone knows I have possession of it, as there may be something in it to explain his change of heart."

Bernard took the keys and slid them into his pocket with a nod. Black squared his shoulders and extended a hand to the softly trilling phoenix. Severus knew as soon as he read the message, the Portkey would activate and Black would find himself in Albus Dumbledore's office. The Headmaster certainly wasn't planning a warm welcome, especially if Black presented himself with a number of pointed questions.

"Bla…Sirius!" Severus took a step forward, Rys silently watching. "If you have need of anything, Minerva or Poppy could provide it for you. The house elves have also been a great help to Rys and I since we moved into the castle."

"Thank you," Black said with a slight smile. "Are you going back to Hogwarts now?"

Severus nodded. He needed a few minutes alone with Bernard and then he would Floo through to the cottage in Hogsmeade, walking the rest of the way to Hogwarts.

"I'll take the scroll, Fawkes," Black told the phoenix quietly, who dropped it in his outstretched hand and circled the room once again before disappearing in a flash.

Opening the scroll, Black read it aloud. Sirius, I think it's imperative you come to Hogwarts immediately for tea. Yours, Albus Dumbledore.

"Well, then..." Was all that Black managed to say before the Portkey whisked him away.

Severus stared at the place where Black had stood, imagining the confrontation that was likely occurring at that moment. Rys wiggled and Severus sent him on his feet.

"Go collect your things, Rys, while I speak to Bernard, please."

Rys ran towards the kitchen and Severus turned to his friend. "Do you think Black will be able to help?"

"If he can survive the Headmaster's tea, I think so. Regulus turned away from the Dark Lord for a reason, and the message he left for Sirius seems to indicate that there is something to find."

"If the idiot can keep his wits about him!" Severus sneered. "We need him to find the locket that Regulus mentioned, and Lily's will."

"I'll work on the wills, Severus. You go back to Hogwarts and see if Sirius remembers the locket."

"Yes, Black may need help after spending time with the Headmaster."

Bernard eyed him sharply. "Try not to take too much pleasure in his discomfort, Severus. Hanging on to old animosities isn't going to help."

Rys came back in and Severus lifted him up. "I'll do my best, my friend."

"Just try not to gloat so loudly," Bernard said, stepping into the Floo.

Severus snorted with laughter before he pressed Rys' face against his shoulder and followed.


To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1431