The Unexpected Visitor by Eva
Summary: AU. This is a Snape mentor Harry kind of story. It starts with Harry's summer vacation before his Second Year as Snape comes across something that breaks all delusions about the boy's home-life. Please don't flame. I really appreciate constructive criticism but no flames. Please!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11518 Read: 33681 Published: 08 Nov 2007 Updated: 01 May 2009
Chapter 6 by Eva
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.

Snape didn’t sleep properly that night, constantly thinking about a boy with messy black hair, green eyes. He was insane even to think about it. He was not the ideal person for it, was he? Not at all. Granted that he was looking out for the boy and he somehow could imagine the future but still it was foolish. No, it just wouldn’t do. By the time, it was morning Snape was in a very foul mood. He was ready to curse whoever had the misfortune of meeting him. It had been a very bad night. ‘Why am I even thinking about Potter? He was just very happy with Flitwick last night, well, let him be happy. I don’t care. I just don’t care.’ Snape thought, angrily.

Snape went outside for stroll so that he could calm himself but it seemed that it was not to be. He had just reached the lake when he heard someone calling, he groaned out loud. ‘Can a man not have a moment’s peace in this castle? If Dumbledore wanted him to do what he told then he would have to give me some time to think it through.’ Snape thought although he wasn’t quite sure why he was even considering it. He knew that the child needed a firm guardian but a temporary one wasn’t going to be useful in Potter’s case. The brat had an uncanny ability to attract danger as moth to a flame. He thought that he could give the stability, firm rules the child needed but was he really ready to take on a pre-teen child? It didn’t help the matters that the child was Potter. He was taken out of his musings when a disgustingly chirpy voice said, “Severus, are you really considering the guardianship of Harry Potter? If you are then I am happy for Harry although you need to be a little less harsh towards him. Don’t you think? After all, he’s just a boy. Little boys are always in trouble but you should be firm, not harsh.”

Snape was ready to hex the tiny professor into next century but he didn’t particularly fancy a painful chastisement from his former professor so he just growled. This had the intended effect; the tiny man stopped talking but just watched Snape with an expectant look on his face. Snape just shook his head and started walking towards the castle. He didn’t want to talk to anyone but just as he thought that he remembered that Potter was supposed to be with Flitwick.

“Where is Potter? He was supposed to be with you.” Snape said.

“Well, I woke him up at around 8 o’clock as it is summer vacation. He ate his breakfast and then with the Headmaster’s permission, he went to the library to do his homework. Although he looked somewhat down, upset, do you have any idea why that would be, Severus?” Flitwick asked, seeming genuinely confused.

Snape thought about it and said, “I don’t know, Fillius. I don’t know how twelve year old’s head works. Now, excuse me, I need to meet Professor McGonagall. Er…I’ll check on Potter afterwards, if that makes you happy.”

Flitwick nodded and went in the direction of Hagrid’s hut. Snape went in search of Minerva, he wanted her opinion on this decision. Snape was not the one to go to someone to ask for help so it was a shock for Minerva to see Severus in her chambers that morning.

“Severus, you certainly are confused if you came to me with that lost puppy look.” Minerva said, chuckling.

Snape’s eyes widened and he ground his teeth, saying, “I do not have a lost puppy look, Minerva. I merely came here to know your opinion about the…matter we discussed last night. I would like to know that I am not alone in thinking that the old man has finally lost it.” Although he said it seriously enough, his dark eyes were dancing mirth.

“Why, Severus, I would never have thought it possible. Severus Snape, making a joke, now I have seen and heard everything.” Minerva said, happy that Severus was ready to talk.

“Now, Minerva, seriously what do you think about this gaurdianship? Do you think that I could really take care of a pre-teen child, a child who’s parent was my arch-enemy?” Snape asked, dubiously.

Seeing that Severus was really unsure, Minerva softened her voice and said, “Yes, Severus. I have full faith in you to take care of Harry properly. Although you do need to control yourself around Harry. As you have seen, Harry hasn’t had a very nice childhood. I wish I could have been more forceful that day about this with Albus but I was so disdraught I couldn’t think straight. I think this gaurdianship would do both of you some good. Start having faith that you can be and are a good man. Albus believes that, I believe it. It’s high time you started believing it.”

Snape was a little bewildered and it showed on his face before he could mask his emotions. He said, gruffly, “Thank you, Minerva for your faith in me. You should know it means a lot. Now, what did you say about Headmaster? He believes it but did you keep in mind that he is going a little barmy?”

“Oh! That thought had come to my mind many times, Severus. Perhaps because he is barmy though some of his solutions are miracles.” Minerva said.

Snape suddenly stood up and asked the Deputy Headmistress, “Do you know where Potter is? Flitwick said he was in library doing his homework but I have a feeling that he isn’t in library anymore. I reckon, I should talk to him about it today or tomorrow.”

“I haven’t seen Harry as I haven’t been out of my chambers yet. Harry may still be in library.” Minerva said, although she too had a feeling that no boy the same age as Harry could sit inside when it was so nice outside.

After a few moments, Snape left Minerva’s chambers. He was just coming near the library when he heard something although he couldn’t be sure that he really heard it. After he entered the library, he became much more surer that he heard the sound. He was just taking a left turn from Ancient Runes’s section when he heard sniffling. He quickly went in the direction of sound. What he saw made him want to laugh, there was Potter slumped on the chair. He was pouting and sulking, glaring at the some book as though whatever happened was the book’s fault.

“Tut, tut. Glaring at the book doesn’t really help you complete your homework, Potter. What have we have here? Ah, Charms homework.” Snape said or rather sneered.

Harry was embarrassed that Snape had caught him at such a bad time. He quickly tried to stop crying but it seemed that his brain was simply not listening to him. That made him even more uncomfortable. He was having difficulties doing his homework and Snape just liked to goad him.

Snape noticed that the boy could blush with five different shades of red and mentally snickered. He soon took pity on the boy and said in a carefully neutral tone, “It would seem that you might need help and I may provide you just that but before that we need to talk, Mr. Potter.”

Harry’s stomach was in knots, his brow was knitted as he tried remember what he had done that might be punishable. He tried with all of his might but couldn’t remember anything.

“Sir, I didn’t do anything. I swear I don’t know what happened but I didn’t do it. You are only going to help me study after you have given me punishment, aren’t you? But I didn’t do anything.” Harry said, nearly whining at the end.

Snape smirked evilly and said, “Guilty conscience, Potter?”

Harry gulped. ‘If he is not going to punish me then why do we need to talk?’ Harry thought, confused.

“Potter, you show me a whole new level of daftness. Why would you need to be punished if you didn’t do anything?” Snape asked.

“I….I thought that since you said that we needed to talk….Well, Uncle Vernon used to say that and then he would just punish me for things I didn’t even do.” Harry said, blushing a little.

Snape said, icily, “Do not presume that I would treat you like you were treated at the Dursleys, Potter. I would never do it to a child, do I make myself clear?”

Harry gulped and nodded. Snape growled and Harry looked up to see that Snape expected a verbal answer. He whispered, “Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now, I would really like to talk to you if you could have a few moments. It’s an important matter which can not be discussed here. We will go to my private chambers if you don’t mind?” Snape said, his tone silky.

“Umm….okay.” Harry said.

“Eloquent as ever, I see. Well then, follow me, Mr. Potter.” Snape said, mentally preparing himself for an emotional twelve year old boy. They entered his chambers as Snape murmered the password.

Snape lighted the candles as soon as they entered. To say Harry was surprised would be an understatement of the year. He was openly gaping, he never expected Snape to be a comfortable kind of man. He looked so stuffy and aristocratic. His sitting room was very comfortable, it had a nice silver coloured sofa, a merry fire was crackling in the fireplace. There were two shelves on which there were a few trophies and many books. Most of them seemed potion journals. There were windows despite Snape’s chambers being in dungeons.

“Sir, how come there is sunshine?” Harry blurted before he could stop himself.

“Potter, that was a silly question. You do realise that, don’t you?” Snape asked, frowning.

Harry flushed indignantly and said, “I didn’t mean to ask you that. It just kind of came out the wrong way. What I wanted to ask you was, how come there is sunshine when your private chambers are in dungeons?”

“Have you heard of magic in your little as well as insignificant existance, Mr. Potter? It’s enchanted to be like that according to the time of the day.” Snape sneered.

“Oh.” Harry said.

“Now, enough of that. I would like to ask you something that you might find surprising. Do hear me out before you make any sound for it is for your own good.” Snape said.

Harry nodded and said, “Yes, sir.”

“Very well, I have proposition for you so that you can stop worrying about your…relatives. While the Headmaster doesn’t insist on you staying with those people anymore, there is still a question of you living with someone. It is suggested that you can live with me if I get permission for your gaurdianship. I would like to tell you that while I won’t be harsh, don’t expect me to be someone who is always fawning all over you. I am going to be very stern and life with me isn’t going to be easy one but it would be far better than you have had. The decision is yours to take, Mr. Potter. I expect you think it thoroughly and answer me by the end of the week which is six days from today. I hope you consider it from every point.” Snape said.

Snape was waiting for Harry’s reaction but suddenly the fire crackled more fiercely. Albus Dumbledore’s head was visible in the flames.

“Severus, could you come over? I have a tiny bit of a problem which I can’t solve.” Albus said.

Snape nodded and said, “Of course, Albus.” He turned and said to Harry, “Potter, wait here until I come back. Do think about what I said. Very well, just stay here. There are books on the shelf which you can read if I am late. Don’t read anything that has umm…strange names or any strange pictures on it’s covers, alright?”

Harry nodded. Snape had given him a lot to think about. Now, if he could just make himself believe that Snape had actually asked him to consider living with him then he could think further. He was…happy that someone was willing to take him….sad that it was because the Headmaster had suggested it….in short he was connfused as hell, as Ron would say.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Okay, so I promised you a chapter a week and here it is! Tell me how it was and guys, please review, I like to read reviews. It makes me feel bubbly and perky and...well, happy.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1436