The Unexpected Visitor by Eva
Summary: AU. This is a Snape mentor Harry kind of story. It starts with Harry's summer vacation before his Second Year as Snape comes across something that breaks all delusions about the boy's home-life. Please don't flame. I really appreciate constructive criticism but no flames. Please!
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 11518 Read: 33681 Published: 08 Nov 2007 Updated: 01 May 2009
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.

Give special thanks to Bellatrix aka Harriet. She is life-saver!!! I now have a Beta-reader so that I don't make mistakes. 

1. Chapter 1 by Eva

2. Chapter 2 by Eva

3. Chapter 3 by Eva

4. Chapter 4 by Eva

5. Chapter 5 by Eva

6. Chapter 6 by Eva

Chapter 1 by Eva

Twelve year old Harry Potter was sleeping in his ‘room’ when Uncle Vernon came in. He hauled the boy into a sitting position. Harry didn’t understand what was happening, and before he knew it, his uncle was yelling at him.

“That owl of yours is creating a racket, boy. Do you want everyone to know about your…umm… you being an unnatural freak? I have had it, now you just see what I can do.” Vernon Dursley said, his face purple and a vein throbbing on his forehead.

Harry flinched, wondering if it was going to be more chores or gardening. He didn’t mind doing more chores; he was used to it as long as he got to eat something more than two slices of dry bread and one glass of milk a day. He knew his less than average height was because of his poor intake of food, or the lack of it. Both were one and the same things in his opinion. But, it seemed Uncle Vernon had other ideas.

Harry was beyond being surprised when the next day he saw someone outside his window, putting bars on it. ‘Oh, so this was what Uncle Vernon was talking about. Oh well.’ It wasn’t as if he was getting lots of mail from his friends. It almost seemed as if Ron and Hermione had forgotten their promise. It was then that he realized that they might have thought him unworthy of their friendship. ‘After all, he only seemed to bring about trouble. Just look at their first year! The troll incident, the quidditch match, the Forbidden Forest! Oh, and he almost forgot the Philosopher’s Stone! It alone took the award of the night. There were hundreds of students at Hogwarts, but who had noticed the mishaps? Him! Oh, why? Why had he dragged them along? But wait! He didn’t drag them, did he? They came of their own volition. But then why weren’t they writing to him as promised?’

Whilst Harry was wallowing in self-pity, at Hogwarts the Headmaster had recently received some strange? news. He was pondering what to do about it when someone knocked at the door. He looked up and smiled. ‘Good,’ Albus thought, ‘at least Severus would be impartial enough to decide what to do with the news.’ The Potions Master just nodded at the Headmaster.

“Severus, my dear boy! Are you not going to the Manor? Severus, you should go, if only to prove that you have risen above them.” Albus admonished his former student.

Severus Snape barely stopped himself from groaning out loud. ‘Why did Albus never stop? Honestly, Albus of all people should understand about him not wanting to go to Manor more than anyone.’ He just said, “Albus, I am going to pretend you never said that, and that I never heard it. That done, I came here to ask about Hagrid’s…dog. What are you going to do with it, Albus?”

The Headmaster just smiled and said, “Oh, don’t worry about Fluffy, Severus. Hagrid is going to take care of him. I have something to discuss with you which troubles, as well as confuses me.”

Severus shifted in his chair and said, “Well, I, for sure, would wish to know what troubles you. I will help in anyway possible; you know that, don’t you, Albus?”

“Well, I have letters from Miss Granger and Mrs. Weasley on behalf of Mr. Ronald Weasley questioning Mr. Potter’s well-being. Their letters to Mr. Potter were not answered and now I am worried about him. What do you think we should do, Severus?” The Headmaster asked, rubbing his forehead.

This time, the Potions Master did groan aloud and said, “Why do you think Mr. Potter wouldn’t respond to his fan-mail, Albus? Perhaps he doesn’t think his friends worthy enough to write to? Or perhaps he got bored with his current fan-club and wants new fans?”

“Severus, you should know better than that. Harry is not his father. Didn’t we have a somewhat similar conversation last year? It is time to leave the past alone and embrace the present.” Headmaster said sternly, the twinkle gone from his eyes.

“Headmaster, you know how I feel about this and I think that will never change. I’ll leave now, I have to do Poppy’s batch. Goodnight, Headmaster.” Snape said and left, his robes billowing behind him.

In the Headmaster’s office, Albus said softly, “Never say never, Severus.”

”What are you up to, Albus? Even after all these years I still wonder how you ever were sorted into Gryffindor instead of Slytherin.” The portrait of Phineas Nigullus said, eyeing the Headmaster suspiciously,

The portrait of Professor Dippet said, “You know, I wondered about that too.”

The present Headmaster laughed and went to his chambers thinking about a certain Mr. Potter.

In the dungeons, Severus Snape was brewing potions needed for the Medi-Witch. He knew why Albus had brought up Potter’s subject, not in front of Hagrid or Minerva, but in front of him. He thought about what Albus had said and tried to remember his expression. ‘His expression had been adequately serious,’ he thought. “Well, it wouldn’t hurt to go and see. No one need know that I am going to check on Gryffindor’s Golden Boy.” Snape mused out loud.

He decided to check on the brat after his potions were brewed and labelled. ‘Why should I leave my potions for the brat? Humph.’ After four more hours of potion brewing, a temporary batch of potions was ready for the Medi-Witch’s storage. After ten minutes or so he reached the apparition point and he apparated to Privet Drive. ‘Now, which one was the brat’s house? Every house is so alike.’ Snape thought, as he walked down the street. After a mere moment or two, he noticed a very odd thing about one house. The sight was funny, even to the Potion Master. ‘Now, why would anyone put bars on only one window, a window upstairs, instead of on the ground floor?’ Snape mused. His morbid curiosity won over his sane mind, and he approached the house. It was dark, as it should be since it was the middle of the night. He cast a delusionment charm on himself and then went to the front door and whispered, “Alohomora.”

After the door opened, he murmured, “Lumos.” As the light came from his wand, Snape saw that there were many photographs of a thin, horse-faced woman, a baby whale and probably a daddy whale. ‘Well, suddenly I am very thankful that Crabbe and Goyle are in Slytherin. Otherwise, I would be gaping like a fish out of water. How disgusting! How anybody could get that…large is beyond me.’ Snape thought. Snape quickly brushed aside that fact and went inside to fulfil his curiosity. It was certainly an extremely well ordered and tidy house. The child in the photographs was clearly overfed as was his his father, but some how Snape had an inkling that the household chores were not done by the woman or either of the whales. It was only an intuition, but he thought it to be a most perceptive one. As he was exiting the house, a noise upstairs made him stop. He quickly and quietly went upstairs. He listened intently for the sound to reoccur, and it did. It was probably sound of a bird flapping its wing. He crept towards the direction of the sound and stopped dead in his tracks as he saw a door with at least ten locks. Now Snape was not generally a man who was easily intrigued but caught his attention. He charmed the door open, his heart stopping for a moment or two as he said, “Lumos.”

In front of him, were many, many toys but it wasn’t the toys that bothered him. It was the bird: a snow colored bird. ‘Holy mother of Merlin! Potter’s owl. It…it was Potter’s bird and that...that was Potter, sleeping on the…makeshift bed.’ Snape thought dazedly.

‘What was going on? Why would someone lock up their own nephew with more ten locks? Was Potter that bad a boy? Agreed, he was James Potter’s son - but even he, Severus Snape, would not put locks on a child’s door.’ He thought angrily. As Severus crept inside the room, his eyes widened. This was the window, they…they put the bars on Potter’s window! It was more than Snape could take, he took a deep breath and whispered, albeit harshly, with shock and anger evident in his voice, “Potter! Potter, get up this instant!”

To be continued...
End Notes:
So did you like it? If you did like it then please review. As I am unsure whether to continue or not. I really hope you like it. This is my first fan-fic ever! Go me!
Chapter 2 by Eva
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.
Special thanks to my Beta, bellatrix aka Harriet.

‘Hmm… .now why would Snape’s voice come out of Oliver Wood’s mouth?’ Harry thought, dreamily. It was a very nice dream; he was chasing the snitch in a Quidditch match when he came up in front of Wood. Wood was shouting at him to look over him one moment, and the next minute he was yelling at him to get up. ‘What was wrong with him? Now that’s just too much.’ Harry thought.

Wood was shaking him now. After a second Harry realised that someone was really was shaking him. ‘What? It was morning already? I just went to sleep a couple of hours came one or two hours ago.’ Harry thought. He opened one eye and saw someone who he had never imagined to see in his bedroom. It was his… his professor. ‘But… no, I am still sleeping. May be Professor Snape was the referee of the match.’ Harry thought, still half nearly asleep.

“Mr. Potter, if you don’t get up this instant you will be one very sorry Potter.” Professor Snape said.

Harry got up quickly and looked at his professor, “Professor, what are you doing here? Or am I still dreaming because you can’t be here. Uncle Vernon would kill you first, and then he’d will kill me.” Harry realised suddenly that he was babbling in front of his least favourite teacher and blushed furiously.

Snape was amused by Potter’s…s little speech and he smirked when he saw the boy blushing. He quickly stopped himself from smirking anymore. The boy had been so confused when he woke up, and it was that confused look that made Snape desist from glaring at the brat or making any snide remark comment. ‘Honestly, the boy appears so small and innocent whilst sleeping. One would I almost forget that he’s the same brat who nearly gave me almost heart attacks twice last year. Humph.’

“Exciting as your speech technique is, your guess is wrong on many levels. Whilst I do understand that you wouldn’t expect me of all people to be in your room, but neither did I imagine you to be locked behind a heavy-bolted door. What did you do to deserve this little punishment, Potter?” Snape asked while wondering if there ever was an appropriate reason to lock up a child.

As Harry heard Snape speak, he knew that the man had insulted him at least half a dozen times but he was too busy keeping himself awake to identify and count the insults. Ooooh! He was so sleepy. ‘Snape must be an overgrown bat. Why else would he be in my room at midnight?’ Harry thought grumpily. Harry realised that being silent was not the best thing to do as Snape hissed silkily, “Perhaps you don’t understand my question. Hmm… I should simplify it so you might possibly understand but I really don’t want to waste any more of my precious time . Now, go pack your things and be ready in ten minutes. We are leaving after I have a word with your… .relatives.”

Harry’s eyes went huge and he spluttered, “But… but I… you…I mean I have to stay here. Dumbledore said so. Yes, I asked him at the end of the last term if I could stay at Hogwarts and… and he said no. Something about blood wards. Pretty stupid thing, if you ask me.” Harry shut his mouth with a snap as he realised what he had said and in doing that perhaps… perhaps he had insulted the Headmaster. His round eyes met the intimidating glare of the Potions Master. Harry squirmed a little, uneasy with the narrowed, black, glinting eyes staring at him intently.

“Did the Headmaster not know that you were unhappy with your relatives, Potter?” Snape sneered.

“Weeelllll. I didn’t exactly say that. I said that I wanted to stay at Hogwarts, I didn’t say why.. but they are just semantics. The main point is, I don’t get to stay at Hogwarts so I’ am not coming with you.” Harry said, very happy with himself for not cowering in front the snarky professor for once.

Snape studied the child in front him. He was telling the truth, but not complete truth. Snape was a man who was able to make decisions at any time , and this present situation was easy for him to resolve. He smirked as he imagined Potter’s reaction to his little announcement. He saw that the boy wasn’t moving to get ready following his instructions, and so he said, “Potter, you don’t have to worry about Professor Dumbledore being angry at you. I am ready to take any responsibility if the need arises. Now, go and be a good little boy. I am waiting downstairs and if you don’t come down within ten minutes there are various potions I would like to test that require human body parts. Consider yourself warned.”

It seemed that Potter’s eyes were generally that round since they didn’t become smaller- if anything they were more round if that were at all possible. Snape went out of left the room to give the boy time and privacy to change and pack.

Inside the Back in his room, Harry was bewildered, confused and a little bit afraid. Well, very afraid. He didn’t think that his Snape would use him as a potions ingredient but he wasn’t about to test his Professor’s statement. He gulped again as he remembered what his Professor the man had said and began packing. As he was packing, he wondered why his teacher was here. He knew for a fact that he wasn’t top on the list of Potion Master’s favourite people list. In fact, he was pretty sure that he topped one list that was Snape’s least favourite list. Well, Harry hated him, too. At least, he thought he hated the man… because whilst Harry could never forget that that it was Snape who had saved him at the Quidditch match, he also could not forget that but still Snape perpetually taunted him, made snide comments, and… and he breathed down his neck in potions class. So he was… the greasy git. Harry giggled to himself as he imagined Snape’s reaction if he should hear what Ron said about the Potion’s Master. As he was changing his T-shirt, he heard Uncle Vernon roar. ‘Uh-uh. What was Professor doing that made Uncle do that mad? Well, I guess just a wizard is in his home would make him do that be enough. Oh, dear.’ Harry thought as he cringed at the noise. He tried to take his trunk down but unfortunately he was too small, to do that so he just took Hedwig’s cage and went down. As soon as he reached the room where his uncle was he wished he was back upstairs. His uncle was very, very purple in the face and that was saying something. His hands were clenched as if he wanted to do something but couldn’t do it.

“Mr. Dursley, I would appreciate if you don’t shout. My ears were working perfectly, last I checked. Now, would you grace me with an answer or do I have to use forces? It was simple question, I presumed, or are you as slow and dim-witted as your son and your nephew, Mr. Dursley?” Snape sneered at the big man.

At that remark s Harry heard that he glared at his Professor. ‘Why did he have to bring me into it? He… he was comparing me to Dudley who can’t even cope with simple maths like division and multiplication. How dare him!’ Harry thought resentfully. Harry huffed - to making his presence, as well as his indignation, fully known.

Snape turned and saw that his insult had reached the brat’s ears. Good, he thought. Serves the brat for being late! Although he had a sinking sensation that Albus would clearly have the reason to gloat. ‘Well, I will not give him the satisfaction of being smug. I want to be the one telling him the condition I found the boy in. Ha ha. I would love to see his guilt-ridden face. Honestly, I would have thought that his Golden Boy would have been so very well pampered. Alas, because of this visit my all my assumptions have been proven wrong. Oh, well, at least. I can still have the power to intimidate the brat.’ Snape thought, remembering the horror on the boy’s face when he had threatened him.

“Do you understand what I am telling you, you freak? I will not let him go with you. You don’t look nice, even for abnormal people like your kind. What if something happens to the boy and those other freaks come and question me? Oh, no. I don’t want any freakiness in my house.” Uncle Vernon’s rant would have continued, had it not been for Snape’s silencing spell.

“Now, Dursley, you will listen to me, and you will listen to me very clearly. I asked you a simple question that you have not answered and so I am not going to ask it again. Perhaps you have forgotten that I introduced myself as Mister Potter’s schoolteacher at his school. I am here to take remove Mr. Potter from your custody as you are seen as I deem you unfit to care for Mr. Potter here him. I am going to investigate this matter further, but before that you are going to make no noise or anything when we go or else the result of that deed would not be pretty and you will remain silent as we take our leave, unless you should wish something… unpleasant to happen to you.” Snape said, his face taking on a very menacing expression, which scared Mr. Dursley more than he could put into words.

Harry stood shocked as Professor made his way towards him. No one had fought or even said anything in Harry’s favour before but Snape seemed to do so almost as if he meant it. Perhaps… perhaps he did mean it. Before he could think any further a silky voice said, “Where is your trunk, Potter? What are you doing just standing here? Go and get it!”

Harry jumped and said timidly, “I can’t bring it down. It’s…its too heavy but… but I’ll try to bring it down very quickly, sir.” But Harry didn’t get the chance to go upstairs as a hand gripped his arm and he was led inside the room where Uncle Vernon was sitting on the Queen Anne sofa that was perched near the electric fireplace. He kept his distance, just standing by the door, afraid his uncle might take it upon himself to teach him lesson. When Snape noticed it, he barked, “Well, sit!”

Potter slid down to sit on the floor as if his legs were no longer fully working. Snape sneered and left the room to get precious Potter’s trunk. He went upstairs and wondered if he had no’t come when he had, would Potter have been locked inside the room his entire summer holidays? Well, no point in thinking about it. Severus went inside the room and picked up the trunk which was not as heavy as Draco’s was. He came just in time to see Dursley leaning dangerously towards Potter who was shaking like leaf but trying to stand up to that oaf. Snape’s dislike towards the muggle escalated several notches. He quickly strode towards them and pulled the boy towards his side him whilst he towered the big man.

“Dursley, I told you the results would not be pleasant if you dido anything. Now, face the consequences for not taking me seriously. Densaugeo!” Snape said, as Harry watched in abject horror and if you allowed him to, in fascination as his uncle’s teeth started becoming bigger by the second. Harry wanted to laugh openly but didn’t dare so he settled on a small giggle.

Snape turned and indicated for Harry to follow him and Harry did. As they were going out of the door, they heard a shriek from Harry’s aunt. Harry giggled like a small naughty boy when Snape glared in his direction. Harry quickly stopped giggling and asked tentatively, “Sir, where are we going? I mean are we going to Hogwarts or to the Burrow, you know Ron invited me to live there in visit this summer? Do you think Dumbledore would allow me to go there for a few days?”

As Potter was chattering away, Snape felt a headache coming. He snapped at the boy, “Stop it this instant. In normal circumstances I would tell you, but there is nothing is normal about this one so I will not. Just come with me and for Merlin’s sake, be silent.”

“But…” Was as far as Harry got because as suddenly Snape whirled around and whispered, sending a shiver down Harry’s spine.

“Please, Potter. For once in your life, listen to what I say. Do not speak another word, nod if you at least understand this simple request?” or do you not even understand a simple request?” Snape said.

Harry just nodded and started trotting behind his teacher wondering what he would say when they met Dumbledore.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thanks for reading the chapter. Someone once said that reviewing is good for health. I tried it, it's true, you know?
Chapter 3 by Eva
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.

Thanks to Harriet aka bellatrix my Beta reader for doing her job superbly.

Harry’s mind was working furiously as he followed his Professor. He was wondering what the Potions Master had been doing in his home. When they were inside the house, Harry hadn’t really given it that much thought but now as they came out of the house and started walking, he suddenly started wondering about his teacher’s intentions.

‘Perhaps Dumbledore sent Snape to bring me to Hogwarts. Why didn’t he come to get me himself?’ Harry quickly stopped, realising that he sounded just like whiny child. ‘Well, at least I stopped myself from carrying on…’ He was just about to look up when he bumped into his Professor. ‘Uh-oh. I’ve just made that one irate, angry and annoyed Snape.’ Harry thought as he saw the expression on his teacher’s face.

“Potter, tell me why did you not answer your letters from Mr Weasley and Miss Granger? I rather thought that you three were good friends but it seems to me that all is not so.” Snape said- his voice whilst low- sounded almost like a Quidditch commentator to Harry.

“They wrote to me. Did they really write to me? Oh, thank God! It was just an accident, wasn’t it?” Harry said, literally glowing with pleasure. Then a thought came, instantly, that made him feel very guilty. ‘I should have had more faith in them than that. How could I doubt their friendship so easily? I guess I really am not worthy of their friendship.’ Harry thought, sadly.

Snape saw the play of emotions on his student’s face. First it had been the look of pure happiness, then it swiftly changed to guilt, and then finally total sadness. Snape wondered how someone could feel that many emotions in so short a space of time. Snape concluded that the boy had wondered down the self-pity lane. He shook his head and told the boy to sit on a nearby bench. Harry sighed but did as he was told.

Snape huffed as he realised what he was going to have to do. ‘Oh, I do not like these types of talks. Every year, someone became lonely or angry or just sad without any reason and it was his task as a Head of the House to talk to them. Ugh. He hated it but as a Professor he had to it and now even though the school was not going to start for at least eight weeks, here he was having to do it for the sake of duty. Yes, for the sake of duty… If he kept saying that to himself one day he might believe it. Unfortunately that day was not to be today, he thought morosely.

Harry was wondering why he was told to sit down, but as he heard his Professor huffing and puffing he decided that asking would probably not be the best thing to do, and so waited uncomplainingly for Snape to speak. Harry’s patience paid off as his Professor started talking.

“What is troubling you, Mr Potter? I am here if you have anything to discuss that you may be confused by. Before you say a word, let me tell you something. I know now that you haven’t had a … satisfactory childhood but I cannot change that, however frustrating that may be. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you? If you want to tell me anything else about those … people I am prepared to listen.” Snape said, managing to not look menacing.

Harry opened his mouth and shut it. He tried again to say something, anything but it again shut itself. He didn’t know his Professor could be so… so understanding. He had never had anyone who had tried talk to him about his private things without it feeling like they were intruding. That Snape had pulled it off so easily baffled Harry. As he was deciding whether to talk or not, he heard Snape growl. He quickly decided to spill the beans. He started, somewhat hesitantly,

“Erm… I suppose I feel bad. Umm…. It’s hard to explain. I feel really guilty for not having faith in my friends. Err…I thought that they forgot their promise to write … and that they’d forgotten me, as well. I wouldn’t have blamed them for not thinking me worthy enough to be their friend but it did hurt. I tried to think like a grown up and decided that I only brought trouble, so if they want to forget me, it would be okay… but it wasn’t okay. For… for the first time, I had friends who really liked me. When they didn’t write I thought that that was it. The moment which I had been afraid to face. I lost hope in them and it wasn’t alright. I should have been much more hopeful. I… I think I really am not worthy a friend, I didn’t even have enough faith in them.”

By the end of it, tears were rolling down his cheeks, though he wasn’t aware of it. He felt lighter, as if some heavy weight had been pulled off him. Harry decided that guilt was very bad thing, it hurt. He was also somewhat shy now that he had said exactly what his mind had been thinking. He looked down, two spots of pink were on his cheeks. He was brave, he could look up at Snape. Harry did it although, timidly. He looked up and saw that his Professor had an unreadable expression on his face. The Gryffindor quickly looked down again.

Snape was surprised that Potter had opened up, but he was even surprised that Potter had spilled his guts. He never thought that Potter could feel guilty or sadness or… or… any other child like feeling. Unsure of himself, of his worth.

Severus looked at Harry again and saw that the boy was embarrassed by his… talk. He saw that there were tears on his cheeks. Snape inwardly groaned. ‘Well, I hope he doesn’t start the waterworks on me or I am dead.’

When the Potions Master handed him a handkerchief, Harry looked at it blankly. ‘Why is he giving me a hanky?’ Harry thought. He soon realised, finding his cheeks wet with tears. He took it gratefully and wiped his cheeks of his tears. Boys don’t cry, and he did. He blushed as he realised that his Professor had seen him crying bucket loads. ‘Oh crap... Why did I do that? Why? Maybe Snape was right about one thing- I do things first and then think of the consequences. Now he’ll just make fun of me.’ Harry thought, although as soon as that thought came he discarded it. He hoped (or more like knew) that Snape wouldn’t do so. Now that he had pulled himself together Harry asked,

“Sir, can we go now? I am feel tired, it is still night, you know.”

Snape just nodded. ‘Why, the cheek has returned so he must be fine. Well, I will have to something about it. But right now, as the brat has so obviously pointed out, it is still night. We might as well go back, besides I am feeling sleepy.’ Snape thought. He started walking, assuming the boy would follow. Once they reached the apparition point, Snape took Potter’s arm and apparated to his country home. He could tell that all was not well with the boy. As soon as Potter looked like he could stand, Snape shoved a vial towards the boy. Harry looked at it blankly.

‘Honestly, the boy is as thick as a plank. Why would I give him a potion, if not for medicinal purposes?’ Snape thought annoyed.

Harry looked around after he got the message that he was supposed to drink the potion. He did not like the potion one bit, it was disgusting. It tasted no better than stale bread, although he had to admit- it did make him feel better. He saw that there were woods around the house. The house itself was a very nice building, set over two floors and with nice garden. He had inkling that those were not normal plants like Aunt Petunia’s. He followed Snape, and when he reached the door he saw an ugly green creature with big eyes bow to Snape.

“Master is home, Master Snape is home. We is happy, sir. Can Biddy do anything for you, Master? We don’t have the dinner ready but we do it, sir.” The creature said over-enthusiastically.

“Don’t do anything, Biddy. Just make a room for Mr. Potter here and please clean my room for me. That will be all for the night…. No, perhaps a glass of milk for Mr Potter before he sleeps.” Snape said.

“Yes, Master. We do as you say. We is a good house-elves. Yes, we is. Me and Tibby.” Biddy said and with one snap of fingers he vanished.

Harry simply gaped where the creature had been standing. ‘What. Was. That? That… thing.’ It was all Harry could think.

“Mimicking a fish is most unbecoming, Mr Potter. Please, cease doing so, this instant. Now, this is my house and you are here because I do not think it prudent to disturb the Headmaster at this ungodly hour. Now you are to stay in the room given to you until Biddy or Tibby comes to wake you in the morning. If you wake up before that, you may do your homework. Please, do not go looking for trouble, Mr Potter.” Snape said as he reached the room in left wing of the house. He turned left and after few moments he turned right. He opened the door and motioned for Harry to follow him. As Harry entered, Snape made sure that all of his luggage was neatly kept near the bed.

Snape said, “If I hear that you haven’t drunk the milk then the results would not be to your liking. All little boys should drink milk. Understood?”

Harry nodded and went to take his night shirt out of the trunk. Snape left the room and Harry allowed himself to cry. Nobody had ever done that to Harry. Ever. Nobody cared what Harry drank what or even whether Harry ate or not. To hear the Professor say that boys like him should drink milk made him grateful to the Professor.

Although he didn’t like that the Professor had called him a little boy.

He was not. He was twelve years old, that wasn’t little. Hmm… he would have to think about it later as the bed in front of him looked so soft, inviting him to sleep. He almost drifted off before he remembered Snape’s threat. He quickly drank the milk, brushed his teeth in the bathroom sink and went to sleep. He was blissfully in dreamland when Snape came to check on him.

Snape shook his head when he saw that the boy was slumbering, soundly. Well, he drank the milk so it was fine. He dimmed the lights in the room with his wand before going to his room to sleep. ‘Well, it was an eventful day or rather night. It made a lot of changes to my perceptions but that’s okay. The boy is now safe from those so-called relatives and that’s what matters. Tomorrow is going to be very stressful; Albus is going to be so smug. Oh well. It was bound to happen the moment I decided to take the matters into my hands.’ Snape thought sleepily.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well, that's he end of this chapter. I do hope that you would review because reviewing is good for health. I tried it and it was true, you know.
Chapter 4 by Eva
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.
Also, thanks to bellatrix for being the Beta-reader to this story!!!

Next morning, Harry opened his eyes, fighting the urge to scream like a girl. Two large eyes, far too close for comfort, were peering at him. Harry thanked his lucky stars that he had seen eyes like that before or else he really would have screamed like a girl. Harry always thought that it was one thing to be scared, but showing fear was an entirely different matter.

“We is waiting for you to wake, sir. We is wanting to know what Mr. Potter would like for breakfast. Master is already up and about but Master said not to wake you up before eight so Biddy did as his Master told him to.” Biddy said, pleased with himself for reason unknown to Harry.

“Umm…isn’t Professor Snape having breakfast? I’ll have whatever he is having. And good morning Biddy.” Harry said, although the last part was added as an afterthought. Harry was alarmed to see that Biddy had tears in his eyes so he hastened to say, “I didn’t mean to offend you or anything.”

“Mr. Potter could never offend Biddy, sir. It’s just that not many wizards are that generous with us, sir. We wish you a very happy morning too. We is going now to take care of breakfast. Tibby will come to take you downstairs for breakfast, sir.” Biddy said, bowing to Harry and then vanishing into thin air, leaving Harry to get washed and dressed.

Harry was very uneasy with his conversation with Biddy, he had an inkling that house-elves weren’t exactly as they should be. With this thought in his mind, he got up and after fifiteen minutes of pure bliss in the bathtub, Harry decided to go downstairs. As soon as he walked towards the door to go out, Harry heard a faint popping sound and Tibby suddenly appeared.

“Mr. Potter, Tibby welcomes you to Prince Mansion. Now we should go downstairs because Master is ready. Come, come young master. Master doesn’t like people who is late.” Tibby said, seeming much more happier than Biddy - in Harry's opinion.

‘Don’t I know it!’ Harry thought as he heard Tibby’s last comment. They went downstairs and entered the room not far from the main hall. There was a long table, indeed, so long that it looked like it would be able to entertain many guests. Before Harry could ponder this further he saw Snape sitting in a chair at the end of the table. Another plate was placed neatly exactly opposite Snape, and Harry took the chair as Snape motioned for him to sit.

“Mr. Potter, after you complete your breakfast, go and pack your things. We are to take the Hogwarts Express and London is not near so do not be late. It is 8.30am and I presume you will not have any problem being ready by 9.00 o’ clock. I must drive to London as we are without a portkey today.” Snape said, somewhat disgustedly at the prospect of driving the said muggle contraption.

“Thank you, sir. I know it was most inconvinient for you to let me stay as I was kind of uninvited. Thank you very much, sir.” Harry said, really grateful that Snape had let him stay.

“If you were any other student I would have done the same, Potter. You do not need to thank me. As for inconvinience, well, I would say, you were unexpected rather than unwelcome. I do not mean that you are welcome in my house Potter, for you are neither welcome nor unwelcome in my house. I am your teacher and it is my duty to provide shelter to any Hogwarts' student.” Snape sneered.

‘Well, that went well. Why did I even think that Snape would take my gratitude nicely? It's just like him to ruin the moment. Here I was totally gullible to think that he would be nice just like last night. Obviously one night's sleep has made a lot of difference. Humph.’ Harry thought, bitterly. He played with his food as his appetite was suddenly diminished. After a while Snape left the table so Harry stopped playing with food and went upstairs with Tibby - his prefered house-elf.

After packing his trunk, Harry tried to heave it downstairs all by himself. ‘Tried’ being the operative word. Harry was soo frustrated! ‘Ron could do it all by himself, why can't I?’ Harry mentally whined. Harry was determined to take it down himself, he struggled to lift it with all his might. But as he was concentrating on the trunk so hard, Harry missed the steps and tripped. He went down rolling down the stairs, his trunk following. After what felt like an age, Harry stopped at the bottom of the stairs. His knee was scrapped, his lip was bleeding, his hand bloody and he wasn’t sure where he was hurt. What was clear, however, was that it hurt like anything.

Snape was just entering the main hall when he heard some noise. It sounded like something had fallen. ‘Oh, well. Biddy must have thrown something, without meaning to, of course.' Honestly, Snape had had enough of that house-elf, the creature was only permitted to stay in Prince Manor because of his Mother, otherwise it would have been 'clothes'long ago.

Meanwhile, Harry had somehow stood up. He looked around to make sure that his trunk was alright. He looked down at his clothes, his trousers were a little bloody and so was his shirt. He decided that a change of clothes would be necessary to keep Snape unaware of the incident. He quickly opened his trunk, took out some clothes and went upstairs. He went into his temporary room and changed the clothes. He folded his earlier clothes and picked up Hedwing’s cage. Hedwig hooted softly as if to inquire if he was okay. Harry smiled and said softly, “It’s okay, Hedwig. I am as okay as I can be under circumstances.”

When he went into the main hall, Snape was already there looking impatient. Harry looked at his watch and saw that there were still ten minutes to spare. ‘Why is he always soo…so? Why am I thinking about him? I should be worrying about where Dumbledore is going to put me. Yes, I won’t think about him.’ Harry thought, resolutely. He went to chair facing the fireplace and stood next to it watching the flickering flames. He was still glaring at the fire five minutes later when Snape announced that they were ready to leave. Harry limped a little as he walked towards the door, Snape noticed this and frowned.

“What have you managed to do to yourself, Mr. Potter? I leave you alone for all of half an hour and you have managed to injure yourself. What on earth has happened?” Snbape asked, a little angrily.

Harry squirmed and fidgeted, unsure if Snape would be angry. 'Well, he already seemed angry so it wouldn’t make much difference,' Harry decided. He started, “Well, you said to be ready by 9 o’clock and I was ready fifteen minutes early. So I decided to try to take the trunk downstairs but it didn’t quite work out. I was too busy trying to balance myself and the trunk that I…I umm…didn’t see one step and tripped.” The last word whispered.

Snape was really astonished that Harry didn’t wait for the house-elves to take the trunk to the car. ‘Stupid boy, can’t he even do something simple without harming himself?’ Snape thought,annoyed. ‘At least there wasn’t any blood. How could he escape without any injury?’ Snape thought, puzzled. After a moment realisation dawned on him.

“Potter, show me your injuries. Don’t even attempt hiding them. I do not understand why even you would do such a foolish stunt. If Madam Pomfrey had seen your injuries, she would have skinned me alive. Did you do it because it would make me a bad person, Potter?” Snape asked, growing angrier by second.

Harry was amazed that Snape’s imagination could be that far-fetched. He felt insulted that Snape would even think that Harry would do something like that. He said stiffly, “I wasn’t allowed to tell about my injuries at my Aunt and Uncle's house so I thought that you wouldn’t want to know either. If I had known you would think that I would do any such thing then I would have told you.”

Snape had to give it to the brat for the bravery, stupid Gryffindor bravery. Nobody in his House would give him clarification like that, not even Draco and Draco was his favourite student. Well, it seemed that he had gone a little over the top in his assumption.

“We will discuss it later but first we need to take care of your injuries. Come, show me where you are hurt.” Snape said.

Harry couldn’t exactly defy a request which was for his own good, even he wasn’t that daft. Harry showed Snape his knee and the man tsked and went away, only return a moment later with a ointment. It was surprisingly soothing, making Harry sigh with relief.

Harry even showed Snape his hand. Snape inspected his elbow with such impersonal touch that Harry wondered if Snape had some training in healing. After all was done, Snape went to clean his hands and returned a moment later.

“Come, Mr. Potter or we will be late. We need to catch the train today, do we not?” Snape asked.

Harry nodded and said, “Thank you, sir. I know you would have done that to any of your students but thank you all the same.”

Snape was a little surprised but it didn’t show on his face. He just nodded and started walking, albeit slowly, so Potter could follow without limping and hurting his knee any further. After they got into the car, Potter sat at the backseat because he wasn’t used to sitting in the front.

‘Damn the brat, making me look like his personal chauffeur... Good gracious! He is talking to his bird, Merlin save me. He talks to his pet and we rely on him to save the wizarding world.’ Snape thought. Then another snide voice said, ‘You used talk to your pet, too. It wasn’t weird and meaningless then, was it? You just think that because it’s Harry Potter. You have seen many students do that kind of thing yet you find something wrong when Potter does it. Why, Severus Snape, I never would have thought you to be a hypocrite.’ To Snape, it sounded a lot like Dumbledore. Snape just wanted it to end. He wanted to go to Hogwarts, give the brat to Dumbledore and return to his dungeons. Was it too much to ask?

They reached Kings Cross at 10. 45am. The rest of the journey was surprisingly peaceful with Snape reading his potions journal and Harry attempting his Transfiguration homework. The day was gone without either of them noticing. They reached Hogwarts in evening.

As Snape said an inane password, the gargoyle moved and they were permitted to enter the Headmaster’s office - finding the Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall present, as well as Albus Dumbledore.

“Ah! Severus, how are you and young Mr.Potter? I hope you had a thoroughly pleasant journey. Now, Harry come and sit. I am very sorry Harry that you had to go through all that. If I had known I would have done something before. You don’t have to go there again this but I am afraid that for your own safety, you must go there next year.” Dumbledore said, sadly.

“Albus! What are you saying? After all that happened to Harry, you are still sending him to those people? That’s ridiculous! I won’t allow you to do that.” Minerva said, shocked that even after all that happened to Harry, Albus would send the child there.

As they were talking, Harry became more and more sad. He just couldn’t believe what Dumbledore was saying. He whispered, “Please, sir. I'll do all the chores... and…and oh please let me stay here. I don’t want to go back to Dursleys. I can cook a fair bit. I don’t think I’d be able to do dinner but with practice, I would be able to. I can clean the floors too. There won’t be spot left, please, just don’t send me there. I…..”

Snape had had enough of Potter’s rant, he snapped, “You are not a house-elf, Potter! You will do no such thing. We will come to an agreeable decision, I am sure.” His last sentence was directed to the Headmaster.

Dumbledore looked grave as he listened Harry talk. He was backed into corner, not knowing what on earth to do. Minerva and Severus were angry with him for trying to send Harry back to his realtives and Harry, that dear child, was offering to do chores in return for letting him stay at Hogwarts.

“Potter, wait outside. I wish to have a word with the Headmaster and you are not needed.” Snape said.

Harry initially angry with the Potions Master for dismissing him so abruptly, but after seeing the expression on the man's face, he decided that he didn’t want to be at the end of the Potion Master’s wrath (or wand). It was the same expression he had had before he hexed Uncle Vernon. So Harry just nodded and quietly left the Headmaster’s office. Although as he was just shutting the door, he saw that the Potions Master moving towards the Headmaster with a very menacing expression. Harry shivered and sat down on the floor waiting for his teacher to finish his 'word' with the Headmaster.

To be continued...
End Notes:
It was good, I think. Initially I didn’t want Harry to fall down but my mind had different ideas. So he fell down. *he he*

Once again, thank you very much for your reviews. You are just wonderful people so I decided to give you cookies. *hands out cookies to everyone who reviewed* Now, that done. Go and click that cute little button. If last time wasn’t hard, it can’t be hard this time, now, can it?
Chapter 5 by Eva

Inside the Headmaster’s office, the Potions Master sneered, “I thought that you would go to lengths unknown to anyone to save your Golden Boy, Albus. Why, I actually thought that had it been possible you would be on your way to adopt the brat.”

As soon as Severus said this, Albus had an idea. His eyes twinkled with full force and the two present Professor got an uneasy feeling. They always knew that whenever the old man’s eyes twinkled that way, he was going to apply some kind of twisted logic to present problem. The most infuriating fact was, it worked almost evertime but not everyone was happy with it. As a rule Snape was never happy so now he was seething silently.

“Severus, you have given me such a nice solution and I am very happy. Well, I am not saying that someone should adopt Harry but a gaurdianship would do, don’t you think?” Albus said, his eyes twinkling behind his spectacles.

Minerva wasn’t really surprised that Albus had some idea but honestly, gaurdianship? It was not the best way to handle the problem. She knew that Harry was not happy with his…housemates. She refused to call them his relatives. But…but who would take Harry’s gaurdianship? Weasley’s would be happy to but they could possibly afford another child to care and there wasn’t any other who would take the gaurdianship for only Harry’s sake. Minerva mentally shivered as another thought struck her. Malfoy family still had certain respect in Ministry and if the news that Harry Potter was without a gaurdian then she didn’t want to think what would happen.

Severus was trying to calm himself as he was still angry with Albus for even suggesting that Potter stay with his...Dursleys. He couldn’t believe that Albus would just leave that child with those people because of bloodwards. Suddenly he remembered what Albus had said to Harry….umm Potter.

“Albus, how much do you know about bloodwards? Is it really enough to back your statement to Potter?” Snape sneered, silently hoping that Albus really didn’t know that one little detail about bloodwards because if he did know it then Snape was unsure what to do.

The Headmaster looked up, confusion written all over his face. “What do you mean, Severus? Of course, I know enough about bloodwards to back my statement to Harry. Whatever gave you the idea that I didn’t know. Bloodwards gives the person safety because he or she is near their relatives or parents. Isn’t that what this is about? To give Harry the safety he needs?” Albus said, still not understanding the young man’s question.

“Albus, for Merlin’s sake! Don’t you know that the bloodwards work if and only if the person loves his relatives or his parents and the feelings are reciprocated? How could you do this? How could you not do the complete research and gave the boy to the…those people?” Snape nearly shouted but controlled himself.

Dumbledore went pale as he heard what Severus implied. He stood up, his movements jerky. Snape noticed that the Headmaster’s hand was shaking and he felt a little ashamed about his outburst. Perhaps he should have been a little more considerate.

All this time, Minerva hadn’t said anything. She was shocked of course that Albus didn’t know that little fact about bloodwards but even more shocking was how Severus had reacted. He almost seemed angry with Albus and concerned about Potter. ‘Now isn’t that the curiest thing? Severus seemed angry on behalf of a student and that student being Harry Potter. Oooh! Oh, dear! I must think about it.’ Minerva thought. A naughty smile spread on her face.

Snape grew uneasy as he saw Minerva smile. Something about her smile didn’t quite managed to keep his temper down. So he did the best thing he could, he snapped, “I don’t find anything funny or even close to it at the moment. Although if you do find it, do share with us.”

Instead of Minerva growing stern about him snapping at her, her smile seemed to grow if that was possible. Albus seemed to have noticed the smile on the Deputy Headmistress’s face because he looked confused.

“Umm…Minerva, what did you find funny? Seriously, you shouldn’t be this slack about Harry’s future. We should be worrying and you are smiling.” Albus said, a little annoyed that Minerva was still smiling.

After Snape was sure that he would say something he would regret later, Minerva said happily, “Oh, Albus! I have found the best solution for this problem. You know what I mean, don’t you?”

Albus, being Minerva’s friend for over fourty years, caught on her meaningful look. ‘Oh, dear. So that’s what Minerva was thinking. Well, it seems like a good solution if a certain someone agreed to it. Hmm. He would have to work with it.’ Albus thought, beaming at both of the Professors present in his office.

As Snape saw that now the Headmaster too was smiling, his unease grew rapidly into annoyance. “You both have gone barmy at last or you have found an appropriate solution. So which one is it? I have a very strong suspicion about the first one.” Snape said.

The Headmaster came near Snape, beaming at Snape. He said something to the Potions Master and the reaction on the Potions Master’s face was worth capturing.

Snape said or rather screeched although in the years to come he wouldn’t ever agree that he did any such thing, “WHAT? Albus, are you mad? Of course, you are. You and Minerva here have gone totally barmy. Whatever posessed you to even think something like that?”

Outside the office, a young boy was trying hard not to sleep. He was hungry and now he was feeling sleepy, too. ‘Snape told me that he was going to have a word with Dumbledore. Is Snape that slow? A word shouldn’t take that long, should it?’ Harry thought, resentfully. He was quite unware that he was pouting until a voice said, “Mr. Potter, how delightful to see you! Come, lad, what’s the reason for that pout? And what are you doing, waiting outside the Headmaster’s office?”

Harry swore he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard his Charms Professor’s voice. He looked up and saw that Professor Flitwick was looking at him with an enquiring but a happy look. Harry decided that his Charms Professor was a lot better that Snape. He smiled and told his teacher that Snape had brought him here when he found some problems about something. He didn’t explain what that something was and the tiny teacher never asked. Instead, he invited Harry to his chambers so that he could tell some of the funniest stories he had heard. Harry gladly accepted the offer. They went to Flitwick’s chamber and enjoyed their time.

After two hours or so, Harry couldn’t stop the yawn that escaped him. His Professor noticed it, too. He said, “Come, lad, we will see about your sleeping arrangements. Hmm. Well, I do have an extra room so you can take it for the night. Go on, sleep is important for you. I’ll see to your luggage. Hmm…you have an owl, don’t you?” Flitwick asked. As Harry nodded, Flitwick said, “Would it be alright if I sent your owl to the owlery?” Harry nodded again.

So that was how Harry ended up sleeping in his Professor’s extra room.

Inside the Headmaster’s room, Snape was still ranting about how wrong that suggestion was. He couldn’t understand how in Merlin’s name had Albus and Minerva come to this staggerring, idiotic, silly conclusion. He was tired of explaining so he came out of the office. He remembered suddenly that he had left Potter to wait for him and it had been more than three hours. ‘Oh, Merlin! Where is Harry….I mean Potter? What could have happened to him outside the Headmaster’s office. Oh, once I found that brat, he is going to pay and he is going to pay so much.’ Snape thought angrily although there was panic, too. He was not going to admit it to himself. He was beside his worry umm…anger when Albus came out of the office.

“Severus, what happened? And where is Harry?” Albus asked and then a little hesitantly, “He is not here, is he? Where could he have gone?”

“Oh, I don’t know, Albus. The castle is very interesting to a twelve year old boy, there are many places he would find. I am not in a mood to play hide and seek with that brat.” Snape said.

“Severus! I didn’t know that you were ever in a mood to play Hide and Seek. You should have told me, I like that game, too.” Minerva said, her voice having teasing quality.

“Minerva, Harry is not here. I want you to alert all of the teachers. Tell them to try to find him. Ghosts, too.” Albus said.

“Yes, of course. I will do that at once.” Minerva said, her voice now grave.

As she had informed Sybill, Poppy, Pomona, she went to alert Fillius. As she said her reasons for worry, Fillius said that the lad was with him. Minerva was relieved beyond belief. She quickly informed Albus through school fire. Albus agreed that removing Harry from there at that time held no point. He was as safe as he could be with Flitwick. At this, Flitwick beamed proudly. Although he admoinshed Dumbledore for forgetting that there was a child outside his office who might have been hungry and sleepy.

Snape was really satisfied that Potter had not gotten himself into trouble instead he was with a Professor. Good, very good. So why was he feeling that it should have been a certain Potion’s Professor with whom Potter should be. Snape was confused about his feelings towards Potter. After the incident with Dursleys he acknowledged the fact that Potter was not a spoilt brat but he was by no account a good little boy. ‘Oh, he did come to the confused state again, didn’t he?’ Snape thought, grimacing.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Ah, I realise that I haven't posted a single chapter and I am feeling really terrible. I dug out my disc where I had saved my story. It is not Betaed and I am going to contact Harriet if I can but in the mean while enjoy the chapter. I am sorry for so long a delay. From now, on, weekly chapter posting is the way to go.
Chapter 6 by Eva
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: Harry Potter and all the magical people, places, things, animals in this story belong to J. K. Rowling. I can’t even imagine owning all that.

Snape didn’t sleep properly that night, constantly thinking about a boy with messy black hair, green eyes. He was insane even to think about it. He was not the ideal person for it, was he? Not at all. Granted that he was looking out for the boy and he somehow could imagine the future but still it was foolish. No, it just wouldn’t do. By the time, it was morning Snape was in a very foul mood. He was ready to curse whoever had the misfortune of meeting him. It had been a very bad night. ‘Why am I even thinking about Potter? He was just very happy with Flitwick last night, well, let him be happy. I don’t care. I just don’t care.’ Snape thought, angrily.

Snape went outside for stroll so that he could calm himself but it seemed that it was not to be. He had just reached the lake when he heard someone calling, he groaned out loud. ‘Can a man not have a moment’s peace in this castle? If Dumbledore wanted him to do what he told then he would have to give me some time to think it through.’ Snape thought although he wasn’t quite sure why he was even considering it. He knew that the child needed a firm guardian but a temporary one wasn’t going to be useful in Potter’s case. The brat had an uncanny ability to attract danger as moth to a flame. He thought that he could give the stability, firm rules the child needed but was he really ready to take on a pre-teen child? It didn’t help the matters that the child was Potter. He was taken out of his musings when a disgustingly chirpy voice said, “Severus, are you really considering the guardianship of Harry Potter? If you are then I am happy for Harry although you need to be a little less harsh towards him. Don’t you think? After all, he’s just a boy. Little boys are always in trouble but you should be firm, not harsh.”

Snape was ready to hex the tiny professor into next century but he didn’t particularly fancy a painful chastisement from his former professor so he just growled. This had the intended effect; the tiny man stopped talking but just watched Snape with an expectant look on his face. Snape just shook his head and started walking towards the castle. He didn’t want to talk to anyone but just as he thought that he remembered that Potter was supposed to be with Flitwick.

“Where is Potter? He was supposed to be with you.” Snape said.

“Well, I woke him up at around 8 o’clock as it is summer vacation. He ate his breakfast and then with the Headmaster’s permission, he went to the library to do his homework. Although he looked somewhat down, upset, do you have any idea why that would be, Severus?” Flitwick asked, seeming genuinely confused.

Snape thought about it and said, “I don’t know, Fillius. I don’t know how twelve year old’s head works. Now, excuse me, I need to meet Professor McGonagall. Er…I’ll check on Potter afterwards, if that makes you happy.”

Flitwick nodded and went in the direction of Hagrid’s hut. Snape went in search of Minerva, he wanted her opinion on this decision. Snape was not the one to go to someone to ask for help so it was a shock for Minerva to see Severus in her chambers that morning.

“Severus, you certainly are confused if you came to me with that lost puppy look.” Minerva said, chuckling.

Snape’s eyes widened and he ground his teeth, saying, “I do not have a lost puppy look, Minerva. I merely came here to know your opinion about the…matter we discussed last night. I would like to know that I am not alone in thinking that the old man has finally lost it.” Although he said it seriously enough, his dark eyes were dancing mirth.

“Why, Severus, I would never have thought it possible. Severus Snape, making a joke, now I have seen and heard everything.” Minerva said, happy that Severus was ready to talk.

“Now, Minerva, seriously what do you think about this gaurdianship? Do you think that I could really take care of a pre-teen child, a child who’s parent was my arch-enemy?” Snape asked, dubiously.

Seeing that Severus was really unsure, Minerva softened her voice and said, “Yes, Severus. I have full faith in you to take care of Harry properly. Although you do need to control yourself around Harry. As you have seen, Harry hasn’t had a very nice childhood. I wish I could have been more forceful that day about this with Albus but I was so disdraught I couldn’t think straight. I think this gaurdianship would do both of you some good. Start having faith that you can be and are a good man. Albus believes that, I believe it. It’s high time you started believing it.”

Snape was a little bewildered and it showed on his face before he could mask his emotions. He said, gruffly, “Thank you, Minerva for your faith in me. You should know it means a lot. Now, what did you say about Headmaster? He believes it but did you keep in mind that he is going a little barmy?”

“Oh! That thought had come to my mind many times, Severus. Perhaps because he is barmy though some of his solutions are miracles.” Minerva said.

Snape suddenly stood up and asked the Deputy Headmistress, “Do you know where Potter is? Flitwick said he was in library doing his homework but I have a feeling that he isn’t in library anymore. I reckon, I should talk to him about it today or tomorrow.”

“I haven’t seen Harry as I haven’t been out of my chambers yet. Harry may still be in library.” Minerva said, although she too had a feeling that no boy the same age as Harry could sit inside when it was so nice outside.

After a few moments, Snape left Minerva’s chambers. He was just coming near the library when he heard something although he couldn’t be sure that he really heard it. After he entered the library, he became much more surer that he heard the sound. He was just taking a left turn from Ancient Runes’s section when he heard sniffling. He quickly went in the direction of sound. What he saw made him want to laugh, there was Potter slumped on the chair. He was pouting and sulking, glaring at the some book as though whatever happened was the book’s fault.

“Tut, tut. Glaring at the book doesn’t really help you complete your homework, Potter. What have we have here? Ah, Charms homework.” Snape said or rather sneered.

Harry was embarrassed that Snape had caught him at such a bad time. He quickly tried to stop crying but it seemed that his brain was simply not listening to him. That made him even more uncomfortable. He was having difficulties doing his homework and Snape just liked to goad him.

Snape noticed that the boy could blush with five different shades of red and mentally snickered. He soon took pity on the boy and said in a carefully neutral tone, “It would seem that you might need help and I may provide you just that but before that we need to talk, Mr. Potter.”

Harry’s stomach was in knots, his brow was knitted as he tried remember what he had done that might be punishable. He tried with all of his might but couldn’t remember anything.

“Sir, I didn’t do anything. I swear I don’t know what happened but I didn’t do it. You are only going to help me study after you have given me punishment, aren’t you? But I didn’t do anything.” Harry said, nearly whining at the end.

Snape smirked evilly and said, “Guilty conscience, Potter?”

Harry gulped. ‘If he is not going to punish me then why do we need to talk?’ Harry thought, confused.

“Potter, you show me a whole new level of daftness. Why would you need to be punished if you didn’t do anything?” Snape asked.

“I….I thought that since you said that we needed to talk….Well, Uncle Vernon used to say that and then he would just punish me for things I didn’t even do.” Harry said, blushing a little.

Snape said, icily, “Do not presume that I would treat you like you were treated at the Dursleys, Potter. I would never do it to a child, do I make myself clear?”

Harry gulped and nodded. Snape growled and Harry looked up to see that Snape expected a verbal answer. He whispered, “Yes, sir.”

“Good. Now, I would really like to talk to you if you could have a few moments. It’s an important matter which can not be discussed here. We will go to my private chambers if you don’t mind?” Snape said, his tone silky.

“Umm….okay.” Harry said.

“Eloquent as ever, I see. Well then, follow me, Mr. Potter.” Snape said, mentally preparing himself for an emotional twelve year old boy. They entered his chambers as Snape murmered the password.

Snape lighted the candles as soon as they entered. To say Harry was surprised would be an understatement of the year. He was openly gaping, he never expected Snape to be a comfortable kind of man. He looked so stuffy and aristocratic. His sitting room was very comfortable, it had a nice silver coloured sofa, a merry fire was crackling in the fireplace. There were two shelves on which there were a few trophies and many books. Most of them seemed potion journals. There were windows despite Snape’s chambers being in dungeons.

“Sir, how come there is sunshine?” Harry blurted before he could stop himself.

“Potter, that was a silly question. You do realise that, don’t you?” Snape asked, frowning.

Harry flushed indignantly and said, “I didn’t mean to ask you that. It just kind of came out the wrong way. What I wanted to ask you was, how come there is sunshine when your private chambers are in dungeons?”

“Have you heard of magic in your little as well as insignificant existance, Mr. Potter? It’s enchanted to be like that according to the time of the day.” Snape sneered.

“Oh.” Harry said.

“Now, enough of that. I would like to ask you something that you might find surprising. Do hear me out before you make any sound for it is for your own good.” Snape said.

Harry nodded and said, “Yes, sir.”

“Very well, I have proposition for you so that you can stop worrying about your…relatives. While the Headmaster doesn’t insist on you staying with those people anymore, there is still a question of you living with someone. It is suggested that you can live with me if I get permission for your gaurdianship. I would like to tell you that while I won’t be harsh, don’t expect me to be someone who is always fawning all over you. I am going to be very stern and life with me isn’t going to be easy one but it would be far better than you have had. The decision is yours to take, Mr. Potter. I expect you think it thoroughly and answer me by the end of the week which is six days from today. I hope you consider it from every point.” Snape said.

Snape was waiting for Harry’s reaction but suddenly the fire crackled more fiercely. Albus Dumbledore’s head was visible in the flames.

“Severus, could you come over? I have a tiny bit of a problem which I can’t solve.” Albus said.

Snape nodded and said, “Of course, Albus.” He turned and said to Harry, “Potter, wait here until I come back. Do think about what I said. Very well, just stay here. There are books on the shelf which you can read if I am late. Don’t read anything that has umm…strange names or any strange pictures on it’s covers, alright?”

Harry nodded. Snape had given him a lot to think about. Now, if he could just make himself believe that Snape had actually asked him to consider living with him then he could think further. He was…happy that someone was willing to take him….sad that it was because the Headmaster had suggested it….in short he was connfused as hell, as Ron would say.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Okay, so I promised you a chapter a week and here it is! Tell me how it was and guys, please review, I like to read reviews. It makes me feel bubbly and perky and...well, happy.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1436