Cry by Fatglamour
Summary: Severus Snape was fully prepared to hate Lily Potter's son. That was, before, the Sorting Hat cast them into a nightmare. It was only the beginning of a world gone mad.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Other, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Crucible
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 40863 Read: 137240 Published: 14 Nov 2007 Updated: 19 Sep 2008
Cry X by Fatglamour
Author's Notes:
In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved. – Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Hello, Severus…”

Severus stopped cold, staring in horror at his son’s morphed eyes. Red that seemed to glow covered up the once innocent emerald irises. Draco was hyperventilating, screaming then mumbling. The tiny group that had followed Hermione and the centaur toward the boys’ location stood in paralyzing fear. Draco had screamed for Hermione to go back to the castle, this alerting Severus and Hagrid at once. Fang, once by Hagrid’s side, went running to the castle as fast as his bulk would allow.

“Don’t you miss me, Severus?” Harry – no not Harry – the Creature smiled wickedly.

He knew without a doubt just who held his son hostage in his own body

Severus watched as the boy’s cheeks began to sink into his mouth and the malnutrition in his body became severe. The child began to transform into a being that was merely flesh and bone.

Would you ever see his son again – the same child he used to be?

With his long ebony wand in his hand, he pointed it at his child’s form. Hatred was over his face, scowling, and he gritted his teeth. Yet, from the monster held at bay and laughter was heard coming from Harry’s mouth.

“I had forgotten how much I enjoyed your games.”

“Get – out – of – my –son!” he snarled.

“You want to kill me, Severus?” the monster purred. “I’m afraid you’ll have to kill the boy as well – weakling that he is.” The eyes that had been looking around casually now stared into Severus own. “How did the mudblood taste, Severus? Did she fight you off or did she take it like the whore she was.”

Litgol Occulus!” Severus screamed with an odd black fire in his eyes and suddenly, a bright pink light enveloped his son. He seemed to relax after the light faded but those blood-shaded eyes stared back at him still, now in amusement.

“Impressive but not quite up to bar.” The creature’s smile widened, distorting Harry’s face even more

But then, the sallow-cheeked figure formed back into Harry’s childish form. Severus and Hagrid, who watched from far away, all watched in surprise and hopefulness on their faces. Severus looked down as he heard a loud commanding voice coming from Draco.

Time to wake up, Potter!” Draco screamed, pounding one fist into Harry’s chest. “Remember what you saw before he took your mind! Focus on her!”

Hagrid rushed over to seize Draco, pulling him away from Harry’s body and holding him in a tight grip. But despite Draco’s prejudice, he ignored who held him and still screamed at Harry. Severus looked down and saw Harry’s furiously blinking eyes changing from red to green and back again. Until, finally, they stayed on a green hue only now his eyes where blank with tears falling down his face.

“Mum… mum… Mummy, no!”

Suddenly, Harry had trembles that took over his body, his limbs flailing against invisible hands and screaming hysterically. Severus rushed forward to take his son but Harry fought back his father’s encasing heavy arms. It was as if he wasn’t really seeing. It was as if he was stuck in some kind of warped, waking dream.

Dodging a blow to the face, Severus worked to hold Harry still, cradled like an infant to his chest. Finally, the boy grew weak, locked in his father’s arms. Still whimpering, tears falling down his flushed cheeks, he looked into nothingness, desperately whispering, “Mummy, don’t leave me…”

Then a voice came out of Harry’s mouth, a voice not the Dark Lord’s, a voice almost like an angel. “I’ll never leave you, baby… Now calm. You need to rest…”

“But Mum, I’m trapped.” Severus felt his strong heart take a weak flip. It couldn’t be. He couldn’t be.

Lily…?

No, impossible

“Yes,” the voice replied from the same mouth, “You are trapped in your father’s arms. The best place to be for either of us…”

Harry’s body began to relax and his gentle tears turned into gut-wrenching sobs. His hands suddenly clamped over Severus’ arms and his body began to lean heavily on his father’s chest. Severus heard soft sniffles for a while until they finally stopped, replaced with deep and even breathing.

Severus looked up at Hagrid. “Is he sleeping?”

“Yes,” muttered Draco in relief that Severus raised a brow at, who was focusing on Harry with unblinking eyes. Was he that worried about Harry that he ignored completely the half-giant who had him clamped in his massive arms? At the look from his godfather, the old Draco appeared to surface, looking up at Hagrid best he could, he spat out, “You can lower me, you great buffoon!”

Hagrid rolled his eyes and stood the boy up, not knowing to support him as he tried to stand on his own. Draco swayed a bit before falling on his hands and knees faster than the stunned Hagrid could catch him. The boy winced as his body struck hard and he stared at the muddy ground, snarling.

“Draco?” asked Severus, standing up with Harry’s limp form cradled in his arms.

“I’m fine, professor.” Draco snarled. “I’m beginning to like the muck.”

Severus smiled at his godson and was relieved when Draco smirked back at him. The boy looked over his shoulder at a stunned Hagrid. “Go find my cane, you oaf!”

***

“He is healthy for the most part, Severus.”

“Madam, are you sure? Even his mind?”

Poppy Pomfrey sent a slight glare at Narcissa Malfoy for second guessing her work. “His brain waves were normal. I found no damage to the functions and no hint of the other presence you warned me of. The only injuries he sustained were to his magical core.” She looked up at Severus, “Did he have another episode, like before?”

Severus looked down at the puffy-eyed, flushed-cheeked Hermione Granger and the stone-faced Draco Malfoy. Hermione said not a word, only bit her lip and closed her eyes, two tears falling from them. Draco looked up at Severus, nodding and saying not a word.

Severus finally turned to face the two, looking away from his son’s still form. “What exactly were you doing in the Forbidden forest?” he asked lowly, but piercingly.

Hermione opened her mouth to speak – no doubt in great pain holding back an answer to a professor - until Draco hit her with his cane. The girl looked at Draco with wide eyes and he shook his head at her.

Severus scowled at the two and then leaned down into Draco’s face. “My son could have been KILLED!”

Draco winced and stumbled back at Severus explosion and almost falling had Narcissa rushed to brace him. Hermione squeaked, grabbing a hold on Draco’s arm. He cast a glance at her, looking at her and then, sharing a gaze with a hidden message before looking back at their Potions Master.

“Severus, scaring them is not going to work.”

He whipped his head to stare at Narcissa, standing behind the children and said, anger dripping, “You told them something, didn’t you?”

“No, I only spurred their interest,” she replied plainly.

Draco and Hermione stared at Narcissa in shock and she offered them a small smile. Draco watched her with wide eyes before blurting, “Mum?!”

Severus stalked over to her and she only raised her head to him, smile still there. “Why are you meddling now?” He growled.

She let out a short laugh. “My dear Severus, if it wasn’t for my meddling, you would not have a son. Lily would have never been intrigued enough to search for the potion.” She sighed. “I only offered them a tiny piece in this puzzle. The rest is of their own accord.” She placed his cheek, whispering, “Let Fate take its course, love.”

His face seemed to fall and he glanced at his son’s form. “I will lose him, Cissy, if I let that happen.”

“A wise woman once told me, believe in the present and the future you’ll find out soon enough.” Severus stared at her and Narcissa smiled brightly at him. “Of course, Lily never did listen to her own advice.”

Severus turned away from her and sat in the chair by his son’s bed, gripping his hand. Harry’s fingers moved faintly in his father’s and Severus put his head down on his son’s arm. “He’s all I’ve got left of her.”

“I know.” Narcissa whispered. “Just hold him tight, Severus.”

One dry sob came from Severus and he crawled onto Harry’s bed, holding him in his arms. One of Harry’s arms came up to grip at his father’s robes. The boy breathed in deeply with his nose and smiled.

“I can’t lose him,” Severus muttered.

“And maybe you won’t have to.” Narcissa whispered, leaning in to give Severus a kiss on his forehead and caressed Harry’s black curls. “Hold on to hope.” Severus looked up at her and she smiled brightly. “He is a strong child – much like both his parents. You’ll be surprised.”

***

As soon as Narcissa reached Severus’ quarters with Draco and Hermione behind her, she ushered them quickly to sit before the fire. Draco sat down first and Hermione sat down almost knee to knee with him. He gave her a weak glare – not that she noticed.

Narcissa glided in and fell to her knees before the children. She placed both hands on one of the children’s cheeks. She smiled at Draco and turned to Hermione, compassion in her eyes. “This is not your fault child.”

The poor girl began sobbing and Narcissa reached up to hug her, Draco watching with surprise. Narcissa gently wiped the tears from Hermione’s face and then she looked at her son. “Draco, even I didn’t know that the Dark Lord would make such a brazen action against Harry. Though it appears that if he possessed Harry once, he might have the strength to do it again.”

“Then what do we do? What could three children do against a wizard that powerful… that evil?” Hermione whispered.

“You are brave, Miss Granger, braver than you think. Otherwise you wouldn’t be placed in Gryffindor.”

“I don’t know how…” Hermione mumbled, and Narcissa stroked her frizzy curls in the same manner that she had done Harry before leaving the Infirmary.

“You will find it,” she said gently. Then, Narcissa made the girl look her in the eyes. “Trust me.” Hermione smiled wobbly.

Narcissa smiled back at her. “Now, child, go up to your dorms. It very much past curfew and breakfast is nearer than you think.”

Hermione’s face finally looked relieved as she stood up, leaning down to give Draco a peck on his temple. He gave her a weak glare but she was soon gone, without looking back.

Narcissa face turned sad after the door shut and she placed a hand once more on her son’s cheek. His eyes went over to the smoldering fire, pursing his lips.

“Baby,” he hesitated before looking at her. “You saw something.”

“Of course, I saw something, Mother! I saw Potter being a host for the Dark Lord!” he snapped, turning back to the fire.

She moved, blocking his view of the fire. “You saw the paths at this crossroads.” It was more a statement than a question and Narcissa felt him tense under her hand.

“No…” He finally released, “…only one. I saw what would happen if he merged with the Dark Lord. I saw Harry with those eyes killing his father and laughing as he drew his last breath.” She was surprised at the tears lacing Draco’s eyes. “Mother, I promise we’ll find that stone. I will not let Harry turn into a monster like him.”

“You are a brave child with a lot on your shoulders and you care for people despite Lucius attempts to make you like a walking statue. You have a true friend now – despite what you see in his life. Even Hermione will walk beside you.”

“But Mother, she a mud–”

“Do not say that word.” She said quickly, sternly. Draco blushed a bit. “One of my best friends was from Gryffindor, a muggleborn but smart as tack. She could rival Hermione.”

“You are talking about Harry’s mother.” Draco stated.

“Yes, I am and even Hermione has grown fond of you. Believe it or not, I see in fondness for her in you, too.”

Draco stared into his mother’s eyes, before muttering. “It’s nice to have companions that care for you rather than what power you have, the money, or whatever family reputation.”

“Lucius has no hold on you.” Tears spilled down her face. “I love you.” Draco looked at her wide-eyed, for she had never told him but in a letter – Lucius had forbid it. “You and your friends will find that stone. Severus will help you with that curse and you will be safe as long as I am living.”

“What about Father?”

“Draco, that man is no father. The man you saw in the Hospital Wing, he is a father… Think about it, child.”

Then she went to the fireplace, throwing in floo power and before she disappeared, she blew him an imaginary kiss.

***

Narcissa reappeared in a dirty, cobwebbed house. She could even hear the household pests from all around her, buzzing near the windows, scuttling along the walls. The air was stifling despite the chill of the outside and she wrapped her arms around her in nervousness. She stood still for a long moment and then she heard soft footfalls in the room. She quickly took out her wand, muttered “Lumos.”

Then, a crackling voice came from the shadow, a voice flowing with happiness. “Is that Mistress?”

Narcissa sighed and lowered her lighted wand down to show the minuscule creature at her feet. “Kreacher, you scared me.”

“Kreacher is sorry, Mistress,” he said oily and almost sweet. “Kreacher did not wish to frighten, Mistress Narcissa.”

“It is fine, Kreacher,” Narcissa said absently, venturing toward the open doorway. She stopped when heard scuffling behind her. “Kreacher, I have precious little time. I must find what I came here for.”

The house-elf nodded and trudged down into the basement. Narcissa watched until he was out of sight and then took on the creaking staircase. Reaching the second floor, she looked at two doors. One was normal while the other to had knives stuck in the front of the door, along with several burnt spots. She shook her head at he door opposite.

“You knew better than to play with knives, Regulus.”

She brushed the closed door. Sighing, she went to the abused door, walking into the ransacked room. Papers were scattered around the floor. Glass crunched under her feet and the mattress was bare, cut with feathers spilling out. Pictures hung crookedly on the wall, one catching her eye.

It was a picture of the day Lily and Potter married. Potter and Black were grinning like maniacs – she was quite convinced that they were – and waving. Lily was crying in her wedding gown and wiping at her eyes as far away from Potter as she could be. It was a bit useless as he held her wrist in a tight grip.

Narcissa snarled at the picture. “That was nothing but a win for you, Sirius, as big as a win for Potter taking Lily. Perhaps if you had been true family, I would have told the world of your innocence by now.” Then her mouth spread into a wicked smile. “Revenge is sweet, isn’t it, my dear cousin?”

She threw the picture at a nearby wall, smashing the glass and the weak wooden frame. Smiling she walked over to the bed and muttering a spell a floorboard sprang up. She reached her hand and struggled until she pulled out a small shoebox. Inside the box were Chocolate Frog cards, letters and notes written in class and a small book hidden at the bottom, which she picked up with a relieved smile. She turned to the back, flipping through it before she found the entry she was looking for.

Wormtail lost the map today, no surprise as he is a bumbling a rat – the map is now lying safe in Filch’s cabinet. Moony had to keep Prongs from killing him. Truthfully, me and Wormtail took bets. I bet that Moony could beat Prongs if he wanted. In any case, we’ll be graduating in a few weeks. We’ve done enough nightly business for seven years. I suppose we’ll find something to do as the clock winds down. After all, we’ve never seen Snivellus bleed. That might be fun with Moony’s thirst for blood at the moment.

Of course, Evans looks quite delectable, I wonder if maybe–

Narcissa snapped the book shut, disgust on her face. She certainly did not want to read about Sirius Black’s sexual fantasies about her best friend.

And the Marauders had indeed made Severus bleed and had him nearly mauled by a werewolf. Lily and she had followed him out there, not trusting Potter. She had tried so hard to pull Severus away from the beast. Lily had thrown out an arm as the wolf had jumped in snarling, ready to rip at Severus’ neck. If it had not been for Lily’s silver ring she wore when the creature had clamped down on her hand – sharp teeth cutting through flesh and bone – Severus would be dead.

The ring had poisoned the werewolf. Remus Lupin spent the next few weeks in the Hospital Wing, only allowed to leave for Graduation day. He wasn’t on speaking terms with his friends that day and even years later seemed to lack a bit of trust in them.

And they had thought him the traitor in the end. It was sickening, though not exactly surprising.

She gently placed the book back in the box and slid it as far under the bed as she could. “Thank you for your help, Sirius. Keep enjoying your vacation in Azkaban because when summer of 1993 comes, it will hurt much worse than the Dementors.”

She turned then and walked out the room, down the stairs and back to the fireplace. Hearing her coming down the stairs, Kreacher hurried upward, hoping to please a Mistress. But once he reached the parlor, he only to found dying green flames.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1442