Cry by Fatglamour
Summary: Severus Snape was fully prepared to hate Lily Potter's son. That was, before, the Sorting Hat cast them into a nightmare. It was only the beginning of a world gone mad.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Lily, Other, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Crucible
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 40863 Read: 137239 Published: 14 Nov 2007 Updated: 19 Sep 2008
Cry V by Fatglamour
Author's Notes:
The world changes and all that once was strong now proves unsure. - J. R. R. Tolkien

November 22, 1978

“Imagine my surprise when I opened the paper this morning,” Lily Evans said liltingly as she plopped down in her favorite armchair in a muggle cafe.

An odd smile was on Lily’s face and her friend sat down beside her – much more gracefully than Lily by all means. The other woman had a pensive look on her face and she sipped her coffee thoughtfully. Lily watched her a tad bemused but something seemed to be swirling in her emerald eyes. The other woman finally sat down her cup with a sigh, which was returned by Lily.

“Why aren’t you angry with me?” She whispered, grey eyes looking so forlorn.

Lily reached over to take her hand. “Because I know you must have a good reason for it, Cissy.”

Narcissa Black was quiet, shaking a strand of blonde hair from her eyes. Finally she squeezed Lily’s hand tightly and looked up into her eyes. “If it could have only been anyone else… but I saw it, Lily. I can do nothing except accept it.”

Lily leaned back into her seat, finally sipping on her beverage. “I’ll never understand the way a Seer’s world works.”

“Trust me, Lily. Even I don’t know all the details.” Narcissa said bitterly. “It’s not like there is a handbook to study.”

“And Lucius Malfoy…” Lily whispered thoughtfully. “I’d imagine kissing him would be rather like kissing a dead fish.”

“Lucius looks nothing like a dead fish.” Narcissa said playfully, licking her lips. Lily rolled her eyes and shoved her gently.

“That’s your only silver lining, isn’t it, Cissy?” Lily laughed. Narcissa gave her a mischievous look but stayed silent.

Lily rolled her head on the back of her chair, staring up at the stain glass lamps above her head. “Tell me my future, Cissy? Who will I marry?”

Narcissa forced a smile even though Lily’s eyes were turned away. “That’s against the rules, Lillian.”

“Will I be happy?” she asked. “I’d like to know that at least.”

Narcissa was silent for a long time and she saw the tears falling from the corner of her friend’s eyes, the truth stuck in her throat. Finally she whispered, “Yes.” In the end… She bit her lip and picked up her drink. Tears stung her own eyes but she held them in check, staring away from Lily and out at the street.

You’ll be happy, Lily, in the afterlife, dying but knowing the truth and having changed your fate and that of your son’s…. and the man you love… the power the Dark Lord knows not…

Then something lit her eyes that Lily did see, and Lily wondered about it but asked nothing.

You will change your fate because I will help you do it.

***

Present Day

Narcissa noticed the dark wood and overflowing bookshelves almost the minute she stepped into Severus’ rooms. The entire parlor reflected his attitude with two wingback ebony chairs and one large plush sofa that she imagined swallowed you the minute you sat in it. The bookshelves drew her attention, like a drug she felt herself moving over to them. Immediately, she saw familiar titles that she knew Severus had never read.

She picked up an incredibly worn copy of Pride and Prejudice. She opened the cover to see the inscription.

Lily,

Happy Christmas.

Now you have your own copy. Don’t thank me. It’s only so I don’t have to hear you complain that you don’t have your muggle library.

- Severus

Narcissa smiled. “Ever the articulate one, Severus.”

“I was twelve.” He deadpanned sweeping past her, robes billowing, moving down the hall as if she was invisible, a mere statue in his home.

Narcissa closed the book’s cover gently, rubbing her fingertips against the faded letters. “Couldn’t bear to part with them, Severus?” she asked quietly to the air around her.

***

Severus rounded the corner to see Harry staring intently into the hallway closet. He watched as the child blinked sleepily, hunching down to look at something. Then, he swayed with weakness – his blast of uncontrolled magic and the magic that Severus and Lily put on him taking a toll on his small form. He swayed once more, and then, flailing a bit, he fell back on his bum.

“Child, what are doing?” Severus asked, a bit bemused, glancing at the closest himself. It was small with blankets placed on shelves and a few bits and baubles below them. He saw a large pine chest nestled in the corner, cobwebs clinging to it and felt a pain in his chest.

That’s for another time… Neither one of us is ready yet.

Harry offered him a small smile, not moving from his perch. “I don’t believe your closet is big enough for a mattress, sir. I suppose you know a spell?”

Anger whooshed up in Severus as well as the image of Lily holding her child for the first time in her hospital bed. The wonder on her face and the joy he felt that he got to spend that moment with her, her husband in a drunken stupor in their home in Godric’s Hollow. Lily was probably spinning in her grave.

Or itching to murder her sister from the afterlife.

Sighing, Severus didn’t offer Harry a response. He only picked him up as he did earlier, as if he were a small invalid child. Harry watched in wonder as he was taken to a small room across from Severus’ own.

It was indeed small, the four-poster bed taking up most of the space in the room, emerald drapes swaying with a misplaced breeze. Bookshelves lined one wall and a plush sofa chair sat near one of them. A round table like that that was in the library sat off to a corner, two chairs pulled up to it, serving as a desk. A window seat with an enchanted view of the grounds was beside a small nightstand and Harry could see a small door of to the side of the bed, open with the view of a private bathroom.

“Sir…?” He asked timidly as Severus sat him down on the edge of the bed.

He kneeled before him, studying the boy’s face. The child’s hair was nearly long enough to reach his eyes now and his face was a little less plump than it had been before. He reached down to check Harry’s pulse, noticing that boy’s hands seemed longer and thinner.

Looking back up, he asked softly, “Are you in pain, Harry?”

At first, the boy seemed unsure how to answer but then whispered, “It’s, like, how I feel after a really tough practice… Sort of achy...”

“You’re muscles are being stretched and pulled. I imagine you’ll grow an inch or two before the night is over.”

“Really?” He asked, shocked. Severus nodded, once more studying the boy’s face. “That’s because of that potion, right?” Harry asked, fidgeting a bit but he seemed excited. “The one you said you brewed for Mum?”

“Yes, Harry,” he whispered. “Have you noticed the changes?”

“Yea but I thought it was just accidental magic.”

“I assure you, Harry, it is purely purposeful magic.” Then, Severus turned quiet, continuing to examine the child’s face. The boy watched in shock at the wonder that lit his normally surly professor’s eyes. “You are indeed my son, Harry.” Severus whispered, leaning back.

Severus looked into Harry’s eyes, watching as tears suddenly poured down the child’s cheeks at these words. Severus pulled him to his chest and he nestled his face in his father’s neck. Harry’s thin arms wrapped tightly around Severus’ shoulders tightly and he whispered oblivious in the man’s ear, “I have a family… Me…”

He never saw the happy smile on Severus’ face.

Nor would Harry know, this was the happiest Severus had been since before Lily’s death.

***

Narcissa peeked down the hall but saw no one emerge from any of the rooms. Opening her mouth, she made to say something but then thought better of it. Sighing, she walked back the sofa in front of the fireplace, staring at a cold hearth. Reaching for her wand that Severus had graciously returned to her, she lit a fire. Immediately, she began to feel the heat spread through her bones.

She stared, bored, around the room and her gaze soon lighted on a half-empty bottle of Firewhiskey and a tumbler. She rolled her eyes and mumbled, “He still has no class.”

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Narcissa sat up straight, body rigid, heart racing. She fumbled in her inner robe pockets with shaking hands. Mumbled talking reached her ears but it cleared up the minute she pulled a small violet piece of glass from her robes.

“For Merlin’s sake, Mother–!”

She fumbled with the glass, nearly dropping it before bringing it level to her nose. “Draco, baby, what’s–?” She gasped.

Draco’s nose was bleeding and his beautiful grey eyes were bloodshot and red rimmed. His face was pale with dark circles forming underneath his eyes. She watched as he blinked and a tear fell down his cheek, tinged pink with blood.

“Mother, something’s wrong…” he whispered. “I’m not going to be able to stand for much longer and if I’m not back at the common room soon, Pansy will send out Zabini to find me.”

“Where are you?”

“Potions classroom,” he whispered. Then he looked her in the eyes, eyes that matched his own and she thought he looked the same as he did when he was a toddler, helpless and desperate for saving. “Mum, please, hurry…”

Metallic fog swirled on the glass’ surface, taking Draco’s face with it.

What do I do? What do I do? She looked around her frantically, helplessly. Oh, damn you, Lucius!

“What do I–?” Her eyes went wide and she peeked down the hallway. Finally, she threw decorum to the wind, vaguely reminding herself of her school days. “Severus!”

***

Harry’s fingers clenched in his father’s robes tightly and he pushed himself against Severus’ torso. Severus cupped the boy on the head, mumbling, “What does that infernal woman want?”

Narcissa ran down the hallway and ran past before backtracking, hovering in the doorway. The fear in her eyes caught Severus cold and he found he could find no irritation with her. Tears flooded her eyes and one was slowly making a track down her cheek. Then, her eyes fell on Harry, catching the child’s stunned gaze.

“You can see Lily in his eyes…” she whispered.

“Narcissa, what–”

“Draco!” It was like reality came rushing back to her in mere seconds. Severus stood and she rushed toward him, dainty fists pounding pleadingly on his chest. “Severus, you have to help me! He’s never looked this bad before or had an attack so soon after his medication.”

“Narcissa, you are not making any sense.”

She peered up at him with wide beseeching eyes. Severus found himself being pulled inside her mind, but all he received was screams of pain and fear, a shouted jumbled curse and Narcissa’s voice drumming in his head.

“How could you do this? You bastard, this is your son!”

He narrowed his eyes at her, and speaking low, asked, “Cissy, what is going on?”

He was unaware of the childhood nickname that came unconsciously to his tongue. She ignored it as she pushed him toward the door.

“He’s in your classroom. Please, Severus, help him!” she screamed hysterically, tears coursing down her face. “I’ll stay here with Harry. Please, go!”

He stood still for a moment, staring over her shoulder at his son’s shaken form. Narcissa gently made him look her in the eyes again. “Trust me, Severus.”

He knelt down beside a trembling Harry and gently stroked his hair. “I’ll be back soon.” Harry looked over at Narcissa. “She can be trusted, son.”

“Okay,” he mumbled and Severus kissed his forehead.

Severus stood and made to leave them room when Narcissa grasped him by the sleeve. He looked back at her from behind his hair. “No matter what you may see,” she whispered urgently. “Don’t take him to the hospital wing.”

Severus gripped her by the neck of the robes bringing her face closer to his, growling, “You will explain this.”

“I promise, Severus.”

Then he fled the room, Narcissa and Harry watching him leave, robes billowing after him. Then, Narcissa looked at Harry and he looked at her.

“Crazy day, huh?”

Harry smiled tremulously.

***

Hermione Granger wasn’t feeling very much like a Gryffindor.

She was in the dungeons, in pure Slytherin territory. She was a smart girl and she knew she could get herself out of a mess. She knew a few upper level hexes, after all. Besides, Professor Snape would save her. He was always lurking about.

But Professor Snape was with Harry, with his son. When did the world turn from possible, plausible to upside-down? Though the Minister’s face had been priceless and she couldn’t help but giggle at her head of government.

Really, Hagrid would make a better Minister of Magic.

Question was, how was she going to find Professor Snape’s chambers? Was she really expecting a blinking arrow with a “Severus Snape lives here” sign?

She sighed. Maybe she wasn’t as smart as everyone believed her to be.

Nearing the Potions classroom, she started dragging her feet. What are you doing, Hermione? Stop being a fool! Go back before they kill you and hide the body!

But, another voice in her head argued, Harry is a decent Slytherin. Surely there are more.

Then a loud groan of pain and irritation reached her ears coming from the classroom. Finally feeling some Gryffindor courage, she walked toward the eased door and slowly pushed it open. She walked in, peering at the shadows. Then she saw the small pools of blood and made to scream before a shaking hand clamped over her mouth.

Her assailant was weak but she was scared. She fell back on their body when their knees gave out. The boy – she was sure it was a boy – landed on his back with “oomph”. Half leaning against the wall and her body lying on top of his, hand still on her mouth, he whispered in her ear.

“Granger, I’m going to let go. You scream and you’ll soon be small enough to move in with one of Professor Snape’s pickled creatures.”

She nodded her and he slowly took her hand away. She didn’t move.

“Granger, for Merlin’s sake, get off me!”

“Oh! Oh, yea!” She said quickly. She quickly scrambled to her feet but the boy stayed down. Turning around, at first, she barely recognized him but there was no denying the white blond hair, the bloodshot grey eyes and the Slytherin crest on his soiled robes.

“Malfoy?!” she chirped.

“Keep it down, Granger!” He barked in an undertone. He used the back of his hand to wipe blood away that had been threatening on entering his mouth when he talked. “Alert the entire school!”

“Sorry,” she whispered. Slowly, she took in his bloodied face – he looked like he’d been mauled by a rabid animal – as well as his pale skin and the dark circles around his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“None of your business…” he growled, slowly getting to his feet only to fall into a nearby desk. She rushed forward to help him but he weakly pushed her away, sneering.

“Malfoy, you need help.” She stated, hands on her hips. “You need to go to the hospital wing!”

“No, I do not, Granger.” He said slowly as if talking to a very small child or a person with few mental capabilities. “Mind your own business and be a good little Gryffindor, unlike your companions!”

“Ugh!” She screamed, crossing her arms. “You are so stubborn!”

Draco opened his mouth to speak but suddenly, his eyes rolled back in his head. He started falling to the floor but Hermione caught his head before it cracked on the stone floor. Setting his head in her lap, she watched as blood gushed from his nose and even leaked from his tear ducts. She pulled a hand away from his ear and it glistened with red.

“Oh, what do I do…?” she whispered desperately to the room around her.

Then his fingers slowly began to twitch and then it spread to his arms, his legs, his feet, his head. His teeth knocked together as he began convulsing. Hermione bit her lip to keep from screaming, frightened tears rolling down her face.

“Somebody help,” she whispered, reaching over to grasp one of Draco’s hands. “Somebody please…”

Then the door burst open and Professor Snape sauntered forward. His eyes followed the pools of blood before seeing Hermione and Draco. Immediately he fell to his knees beside the boy, assessing him quickly before summoning several potions. He Instructed Hermione to hold his head steady and to tilt it as he poured in potions. They waited in pensive silence until the boy’s body stilled.

Severus conjured a potions case and it flipped magically open, the inside empty. Pulling a piece of paper from his robes, he summoned his self-inking quill from his desk, scribbling a few things down. He thrust the paper into Hermione’s hand.

“Miss Granger, go to my storage closet and retrieve these. All are labeled, bring them back and put them in the case.”

“Y-yes, sir,” she said anxiously, wiping her tears and smearing a bit of Draco’s blood across her face. Quickly, she did as told, carefully moving Draco over to Severus’ lap. Setting to work cleaning the child up as best he could. The blood was still flowing, slow but steady.

“I’m your godfather,” Severus said quietly to the seemingly unconscious boy. “Doesn’t your ignorant mother thin that I deserve some answers?”

“… I was sworn not to tell… Mother said… well it doesn’t matter…” Draco whispered, opening his eyes blearily. “I knew but I couldn’t tell you that Potter was your son…” Severus’ shock unwillingly showed on his face but Draco was unfazed. “I’m glad you know now. It feels good to have one less secret…” he trailed off, going back into unconsciousness.

How much can a man’s world change in just one day? Severus wondered, staring down at his godson and yearning for answers.

For his godson.

And for his broken child.

And for the only woman he ever loved. And lost.

How much did Narcissa meddle? She must have known like Lily, known from the beginning that the potion would make Harry my son. That’s impossible...

But as he leaned down to pick up his godson, Granger came back and arranged the levitating potions into the case. She, then, levitated the case, following diligently behind Severus, tears falling down her freckled face. Severus glanced back at her before he looked forward, shaking his head.

Impossible…

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1442