Peace Through Understanding by LeannaJoan
Summary: Harry becomes Severus' charge during the Christmas break during 2nd year. Will Harry be able to survive his new overprotective guardian? This story may contain mild spanking but is not a main part of the story
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2151 Read: 13014 Published: 26 Nov 2007 Updated: 14 Dec 2007
Chapter 2 by LeannaJoan
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter

IMPORTANT: This chapter does contain corporal punishment, if this bothers you, don't read.

After catching his breath over the shock of Apparating, Harry looked up and was surprised to see Privet Drive.

“No,” Harry said his voice shaking slightly. “I’m not to come home for Christmas.”

“Silence, Potter,”

Harry hated that word. The Dursleys where going to be very angry, Harry’s blood ran cold. He was carried up until they reached the front door where he was dropped unceremoniously to the ground. Severus knocked on the door firmly and was answered by a large man with no neck. Vernon Dursley looked first at Severus, and then to Harry. “What have you done this time, boy,” he said cruelly. Harry’s legs turned into rubber, he knew that tone.

“Mr. Dursley, I presume.” Snape said before he was rudely interrupted.

“I will have nothing to do with that boy until the summer. If you can’t control him in that school of his, than leave him in the streets of London for all I care.” The door was almost closed before Severus got over his shock. “Mr. Dursley, I need you to sign this form releasing your guardianship of Mr. Potter.”

Vernon froze, “And who, pray tell, is willing to take in the brat.”

“Me,” was the short reply. Harry gaped. “What!” he shouted, “you can’t be serious! Uncle Vernon, please don’t sign it! He hates me! please…” Harry knew his begging was useless. The Dursleys would do anything to get rid of him. In hindsight he realized that begging was only getting Vernon to sign quicker. The only thing better than getting rid of Harry was making him unhappy.

“Petunia!” Vernon called, “Excuse us,” he said to Harry and Snape, closing the front door loudly in his excitement. A hushed and excited conversation could be heard through the door but Harry was otherwise occupied.

“I hate you,” he stated childishly.

“I would watch your tone, Potter, seeing as I’m about to gain full custody of you. If I were you I’d be treading very carefully. You're already in trouble for hitting me, not to mention the Chamber of Secrets.” he said. Harry knew a lost battle when he saw one and began looking for an escape. He would rather be on the streets then living with Snape.

The door opened, “Dumbledore has agreed?” Petunia Dursley asked primly. Severus nodded, handing her the papers. The Dursleys both signed and Harry saw his chance at escape. Jumping off the porch and into the snow he sprinted towards the back of the house to the woods. Swearing, Snape went after him. It took less than a minute for him to catch Harry. Even in Snape’s clutches Harry continued to struggle in vain. Severus held the boy with one hand while folding the adoption papers neatly with the other and placing them within his robes. Knowing Apparition would be rougher on Harry this time, since he wasn’t being held, he Apparated them both to his house. Harry stopped struggling and was again gasping for air. Taking advantage of Harry’s vulnerability, Severus dragged the preteen up the stairs to his home office. He went to the hard wooden chair and sat, taking the boy and standing him in front of him.

Severus felt slightly guilty looking at the panting boy; he had forgotten that Potter’s small size would make the trip worse than usual. Taking the boy’s arms he lifted them into the air with one hand to open his air passages. “Breathe, Potter. Take deep breaths.” With his other hand he removed Harry’s little robes. “Really, Potter it’s freezing out. You should be wearing warmer clothes.” Harry felt like saying that it wasn’t as if he knew he was leaving the castle but he still couldn’t breathe. “Breathe you foolish boy,” Snape snapped. When Harry finally calmed himself, he looked quite helplessly at Snape.

Without saying a word Severus grabbed Harry’s waist and laid the boy none too gently face down on his lap. Harry resisted the urge to struggle, but couldn’t help the tiny whimper. He knew he was in trouble but really, he was much too old for a smacking! If Severus hadn’t been listening for a reaction he may have missed it. Harry felt very uncomfortable. His arms hung awkwardly by his head. He didn’t know what to do with them. They didn’t quite reach the floor and he was definitely not going to grab Snape’s leg. He settled for resting them on the chair. In all honesty Harry had never before been in this position. Sure his uncle thrashed him on regular basis, beat him even. But Harry never had the luxury of being held during it, he was always pushed into a corner while his uncle beat his delicate back with his leather belt. Harry shivered slightly remembering his uncle’s beatings and the later starvation.

Severus raised his hand high in the air and landed a hard swat on Harry’s defenseless upturned bottom. Harry was surprised at the impact; he hadn’t expected a hand. Somehow this made it even worse, more personal, than his uncle’s ruthless whippings. The same hand smacked him several more times. Severus, seeing the lack of response from the spoiled child, began to increase the speed and force behind his hand.

“I hope you realize that although your relatives are willing to accept your atrocious behavior, I will not. Going into that chamber was foolhardy. You could have died.” Severus had to stop his rant there, surprised at himself. He cared little for the spoiled brat lying across his lap. He was doing this for Lily, or so he told himself.

Harry began having a difficult time taking the smacks quietly. He shifted uncomfortably and his eyes started to water. He was only trying to help when he went into the chamber.

Meanwhile Severus was trying to determine if Harry had had enough. He was surprised the boy had managed to stay quiet this whole time. He knew from experience that this was not an easy punishment for a twelve year old to take. Finally he saw Harry’s shoulder quivering and took that to mean that the child had begun to cry. He stopped his assault and lifted Harry off his lap standing him so they were facing each other. The boy had obviously been crying longer than Severus had noticed or intended and was making a visible effort to stop.

“I assure you Potter that had you been in my care before the chamber incident I would have removed your belt and trousers and whipped your sorry bottom like there was no tomorrow.” He emphasized this with two more stinging smacks to Harry’s throbbing bottom. Harry had not been expecting this and let out a small yelp before shifting his eyes to the floor. Severus grabbed his chin and forced Harry to look at him. “I went easy on you because although you knew there would be consequences for your actions, this was not one you could have expected.” He gave the boy a small shake. “If you ever put yourself in that kind of danger again... Let me rephrase that: lie, disobey or do anything so incredibly stupid again, you can be quite sure of a harsher punishment.”

“Now, I know its Christmas holidays but you are grounded for them.” Severus stood and pulled Harry from the room by his wrist. He led him down the hall and into a room. “This is your bedroom,” he stated, “You’ll be seeing a lot of it these holidays.” Harry barely got a look at the room before he was forced in a chair facing the wall. This was not helping his sore bottom. “Don’t move.” The command was more of a threat. Snape swept out of the room.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1449