Mine by Blood by Belladonna_LaMorte
Summary: What if Lily and James survived the confrontation with Voldemort yet still gave Harry to the Dursleys? What if Harry was adopted after only 9 months on Privet Drive? Alternate Universe and OOC. Severus adopts Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 51612 Read: 74497 Published: 27 Nov 2007 Updated: 01 May 2009
Tip-Offs and a Summons by Belladonna_LaMorte

Lucius glared at the elf that had dared to disturb him whilst he was in his study.

“Was there a reason for you disturbing me elf?” He demanded harshly.

“Dobby is sorry Master but Master has important visitor. Dobby is putting him in the library Master.”

Lucius nodded, dismissing the elf without words as he replaced his robes and made his way to the library. Upon entering the room he was surprised to see the newly-elected Minister of Magick Cornelius Fudge without any entourage and even without a secretary.

“Minister, what a pleasant surprise. What brings you to Wiltshire?”

“Lord Malfoy. I’m not here on an official matter, I’m here because I have information for you.”

Lucius raised a perfectly shaped blonde eyebrow. “Information Minister? Why would you be bringing me information unaccompanied? You take many risks Minister Fudge.”

The Minister blushed red. “I am not completely ignorant Lord Malfoy. I know that I’m in power due to your influence as well as that of your friends. Besides, this information may be of interest to you as it concerns your godson.”

Lucius maintained his composure, the only sign he had heard Cornelius was a slight narrowing of his eyes. “And what might this information entail?”

“I had a visit yesterday from Senior Aurors Potter and Black. It would appear that they went to retrieve Potter’s youngest son from his sister and brother-in-law. It would appear that they now want him back but when they went to collect him he was no longer there. When things were present we did not realise who we were dealing with and Scrimgeour went ahead and followed the normal protocol. The team of aurors that was dispatched collected memories from the house. The memories they collected clearly show Lord Snape leaving the premises along with a dark-haired child. Potter has filed papers that accuse Lord Snape of stealing his youngest son Harry James Potter from his guardians Vernon and Petunia Dursley. The case will be heard by the Wizengamot and Lord Snape will receive official notification soon. Now, I must return to the Ministry.”

With that Cornelius stood and after a short bow flooed back to the Ministry without another word. Lucius stared thoughtfully into the flames before turning and making his way back to his study. Sitting at his desk he pulled a piece of parchment and a quill towards him and started writing. Almost an hour later, with the parchment rolled into a scroll and sealed in wax with the Malfoy crest he called for a house-elf. Within seconds one appeared, he didn’t know it by name, only that it was infuriating, and he proceeded to give his orders.

“This needs to be delivered straight into the hands of Professor Severus Snape. He is the Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House at Hogwarts. Do you understand? It must be given to him and only to him, and it must be done as quickly as possible. Do you think you can manage that elf?”

“Yes Master. Dobby can do that, Dobby is being quick and doing Master’s wishes.”

“Just go!” Thundered Lucius.

At the same time that Severus received and read the letter from Lucius, Alex was spending some time with his grandfather in Albus’ office. It had been decided that when Alex turned five he would start to attend the wizarding primary school in Hogsmeade but until that time he was taught at Hogwarts by all of the teachers.

The timetable had been tweaked so that Severus had one morning and almost two afternoons as well as the weekends completely free to spend with his son. When Alex wasn’t with his father he spent most of his time with his Aunty Poppy or Grandpa Albus. As Poppy was treating several students in the hospital wing, Alex was happily ensconced in a corner of Albus’ office with a small selection of toys, keeping himself occupied whilst Albus dealt with the daily necessities of running a school.

The peace and tranquillity of the office was shattered when two angry men followed by a third more reasonable looking gentleman entered though the floo. Almost immediately the first two men started shouting and gesturing wildly. The sudden entrance and all of the shouting terrified Alex, reminding him of the nasty place he lived in before his daddy came to get him. Clutching Blackie tightly he slowly started edging his way around the office to the door. All he could think about was getting to the door and his daddy. As he reached the door he caught his grandfathers eyes and, without knowing what he was doing, pushed the image of his fathers classroom towards his grandfather before the old man wandlessly opened the door a crack so that he could slip out unnoticed.

Satisfied that Alex had escaped and without notice, Albus turned his attention back to the three men. He was unsurprised to see James Potter and Sirius Black but he was curious as to the presence of Christopher Hyde. If he remembered rightly, Hyde had been a Ravenclaw a few years above the two Gryffindors and if he remembered correctly he had become a lawyer upon his graduation from Hogwarts. His head snapped up at that thought and he started listening to what they were saying or rather yelling.

“What the hell gave you the right to help that Death-Eater kidnap my son Albus? Voldemort’s been dead for four years, you’re not the head of the Order of the Phoenix now – it was disbanded. You’re simply the Headmaster of Hogwarts. You had no right at all. Moody terrified my sister-in-law, her husband and my nephew.”

“You helped that Death-Eater spawn Snivellus kidnap my youngest godson. Even now you’re bloody protecting him; giving him a job here, calling him your son and my god-son your grandson.” 

Sirius paused for breath, panting heavily from his angry rant.

It was at this point that Christopher Hyde stepped forward. “Headmaster Dumbledore, I’m here in my capacity as Auror and Mrs Potter’s lawyer. They have engaged my services upon the discovery that a Professor Severus Snape, employed here, took their youngest son from his aunt and uncle and is now passing him off as his son. I am here to inform you that charges are being brought up against Professor Snape and he will be expected to appear in front of the Wizengamot. You are very lucky that my clients have decided not to press charges against you of aiding and abetting a kidnapping. If you do not comply with out wishes then things may change. Good day Headmaster.”

With that, Christopher turned and, ushering James and Sirius before him, disappeared through the floo system. 

Once they had gone, Albus slumped in his chair, wondering how he was going to break the news to Severus and also wondering about his grandsons display of mind magick.

The seventh years chattered excitedly amongst themselves as they waited for their professor to arrive. He was never late but there had been a lot of changes to the professor since he came back with his son and many of them felt that the changes were actually for the better. They did wonder though; the child was never seen at dinner, he was incredibly shy around people especially Professor Potter and Professor Lupin and whilst Professor Snape was never nasty to his son they never saw him being overly affectionate either. As they chatted the object of their conversation entered in a typical fashion, slamming the door open and walking swiftly down the gangway between the desks his robes billowing as he did so. Stepping behind his desk he flicked his hand nonchalantly causing the ingredients and brewing directions for the lesson to appear on the board before he opened his mouth and leaned over his desk.

“Now, as you can see, today you’re going to be brewing Veritaserum. I should hope the fact that you are in your seventh year means you will be able to brew it without too many difficulties although having seen the painfully pitiful attempts you have produced already this year I do not entertain much hope. Well, what are you waiting for? Get on with it!”

By the time they were hardly halfway through the double period there had already been three minor explosions, two girls in tears and one Hufflepuff sent to see Madame Pomfrey. In the ensuing confusion and amid Professor Snape berating a pair of hapless Gryffindors nobody heard the door creak open and a small figure slip in. In fact, the figure would have gone unnoticed had it not brushed past the figure of the current Head Boy Ravenclaw Robert Windsor. He quickly reached out and, upon turning the child around, realised that it was the potion masters tiny son.

“Hey kid, what are you doing down here?”

The words were softly spoken but they were heard by the always alert quick witted potions master.

“Alex?” He swept over to the desk and quickly picked up his son, settling him comfortably on his hip “What are you doing down here my raven? Why aren’t you in Grandpa’s office?”

“Scary men in grandpa’s office n I missed you”

The students stared as the potions master visibly softened especially his eye as he smiled slightly and hugged his son a little closer

“I missed you too. I tell you what, if you can stay safe and at my desk you can stay here with me. How does that sound?”

Alex nodded eagerly causing Severus to chuckle softly as he made his way to the front of the room. He raised the height of the chair and placed parchment and crayons on the desk. As he set the child down the students caught sight of the toy panther he was clutching and the majority of the girls struggled to contain their “aaaaws” as the man pressed a quick kiss into the silky black hair. That done Snape looked up and, seeing the class staring at him lost the softness, instead glaring furiously at them.

“If you’ve finished gawking ladies and gentlemen, although I use those terms lightly, kindly get back to work as my son is not a sideshow. If you would carry on with your brewing, preferably without any explosions. I believe three is a sufficient number already for a lesson.”

The students scurried to obey, unwilling to risk the man’s wrath. It was obvious that the softer, gentler Professor Snape was reserved solely for his young son.

The rest of the class passed uneventfully and it was with a sigh of relief that Severus barked at the students to bottle their potions and remove themselves from his classroom. As soon as the last student had left the room he turned back to his desk and the tiny child sat there and smiled. Alex had been a positive angel since he had entered the classroom and Severus had to admit that he looked adorable, drawing laboriously on parchment, the tip of his tongue poking out from between his teeth. He glided over to the desk and scooped Alex into his arms.

“Well, well what have got here my raven?”

“It’s home Daddy. Look there’s me and you and grandma n grandpa.”

“Of course it is! How could I have not noticed that? It was very silly of me.”

Alex nodded, hands over his mouth as he giggled quietly “Silly Daddy!”

“Well, how about we go and get some cookies and we’ll put this on the wall with the other pictures.”

Alex nodded and wrapped his arms around his fathers neck as he was shifted to a hip whilst they entered their chambers through Severus’ office.

Upon entering the chambers Severus placed Harry on the couch and walked over to the desk sat in the corner. Seconds later and the picture Alex had drawn was pinned to the wall courtesy of a swift flick of his wand and a muttered incantation joining the countless other drawings Alex had done. That done Severus walked over to the couch and quietly murmured “Tibby”. There was a faint pop as a house-elf appeared wearing a tea-towel embroidered with the Hogwarts crest.

“How can Tibby help Professor Snape?”

“I’d like some cookies, a glass of milk and some coffee please Tibby.”

“Yes Professor Snape. Tibby will be back.”

Within a minute there was a large plate of still warm cookies, a small glass of milk and a huge steaming mug of black coffee on the small table in front of the couch. By the time Alex had finished his milk he was rubbing his eyes sleepily and trying to suppress his yawns.

“I think it’s time for sleepy little boys to have a nap.”

“’m not little Daddy n ‘m not sleepy”

“Of course you’re not. In that case, shall we read a story? Is there one you want to hear?”

“Yes Daddy. The one bout the baby dragon who can’t breathe fire.”

That night in the Great Hall the house tables were rife with the gossip of what had occurred in the NEWT potions class. The students of Professor Snape’s seventh year potions class were telling anyone who’d listen about what had happened that afternoon and there were a great number of people who were interested in listening. The intrigue was heightened by the fact that the professor in question had yet to arrive. A sudden hush fell over the students seated closest to the doors and the quiet quickly spread to the rest of the students. The potions master was striding up the centre aisle of the hall looking slightly less intimidating than usual due to the fact that his son was perched on his hip, making his first appearance at dinner. The two settled into the chair to the left of the Headmaster before helping themselves from the platters of food that had just appeared on the tables. The fact that all of the students were staring at the two of them suddenly dawned on Alex and completely unnerved him. He refused the food that he was being offered and instead buried his face in his father’s chest. Severus looked confused as to Alex’s reaction before he looked up and saw all of the students staring. Immediately he understood and started t regret his decision to bring Alex to dinner in the Great Hall with the students. Albus Dumbledore realised what was going on and the twinkle in his eyes increased the students were treated to the patented death-glare number one – the same death-glare that had resulted in numerous students being sent to the hospital wing. The glare worked and the students hastily turned their full attention too the food on the tables. Severus then turned his attention to coaxing Alex out of his chest.

“Alex? Come on baby, turn around. No-one’s staring at you now and you need to eat some dinner.”

Slowly Alex started to turn around, first checking that his father was in fact telling the truth and that no-one was looking at him before turning his attention to the food on his fathers plate. He happily dug into the thick stew and mashed potatoes not noticing the fond looks he received from his father and honourary grandparents as well as the covert glances that students of all houses were giving him. Having had his main course as well as devouring a slice of his favourite treacle tart he started to feel sleepy having had a tiring day combined with the feeling of having a full stomach and the warmth of being held in Severus’ lap. He curled into a ball and stuck his thumb in his mouth, fully prepared to sleep for the night especially when his father’s hand descended into his hair, smoothing gently and rhythmically through the silky locks. Severus almost smiled as he realised Alex had fallen asleep but restrained himself just in time. The students knew he was getting softer as a result of his son but that was no reason for his reputation to be completely shot to pieces. He looked up as he felt a hand descend on his shoulder to see blue eyes twinkling down at him.

“Dinner is almost finished Severus. Why don’t you and Alex come up to my office and we can discuss what happened this afternoon?”

“Of course Albus” Severus agreed and stood, scooping Alex into his arms as smoothly as possible to avoid waking him before following the Headmaster and Professor McGonagall out of the virtually empty hall up towards the gargoyle that guarded the Headmasters office.

As soon as they were inside the office Severus headed over to the sofa in the corner where he lay Alex down and covered him with a blanket lying over the back before making his way over to the chairs in front of Albus’ desk.

“Albus, what was Alex on about this afternoon? He wandered down to my classroom and said something about there being scary men in your office. Who did he mean?”

“Please try and stay calm child, I know you don’t want to wake Alex. James Potter and Sirius Black were here as well as their lawyer Christopher Hyde. They paid a visit to Privet Drive and discovered that a certain Mr Harry Potter no longer lives there. They were able to extract several memories from the house, one of which shows you leaving with a dark-haired child. They’ve filed charges against you.”

“Shit!” Severus cursed. “I had hoped Lucius was wrong.” He looked over at Albus. “I had a letter from Luc this morning. He’d had a visit from Cornelius Fudge this morning telling him what you’ve just told me. Lucius was rather influential in Fudge’s appointment and he won’t do anything to jeopardise that. It’s rather useful actually.”

Here Severus smirked before he collapsed into panic.

“Surely there’s no way they can take him away from me. The Dursley’s signed the adoption papers and I adopted him under Italian law as well as giving him the Paternitas potion. Albus, tell me they can’t take him away from me. I can’t lose him Albus.”

“I honestly don’t know if they can take him Severus. I am truly sorry child that I cannot be of more use. We did everything we could at the time. I think that the best solution is for you to speak to a wizarding lawyer. There are several excellent lawyers I have encountered through the Order of the Phoenix; I am sure one of them will be willing to help you.”

“Thank you Albus but that will not be necessary.”

“Severus, I really think you need some help with this…”

“It is not necessary; you remember Octavian don’t you. Octavian Salieri, a Sicilian wizard, married my cousin Juliana Esposito. Both the Salieri and Esposito families have worked with the Cosa Nostra on several occasions and I have helped as well. If there’s anyone who can get us out of this mess then its Octavian. Come to think of it, Diego specialises in family law, he’ll probably help us out as well. Now, if you’ll excuse me I’ll take Alex down to his bed and write to Octavian.”

With that Severus collected Alex and made his way down to their quarters in the dungeons. Once Severus had settled Alex into bed he made his way to the desk that sat in the corner of the sitting room and, settling himself into the comfortable chair behind it, started to write.

Octavian!

I hope this letter finds you well in addition to Juliana and the children. I apologise for my bluntness but in truth I am in need of your help. James Potter and Sirius Black have discovered that a certain Mr Harry Potter is no longer residing in Surrey with his aunt and uncle. Aurors have collected imprints from the house that show myself leaving with a dark-haired child. They already know that Alexander Lucian Severus Snape is Harry James Potter. Here you see my dilemma. There is no way I will allow Alex to go back to the Potters after what they did. I know we took all the precautions and kept all of the evidence and documentation needed to fight them in court. Please, Octavian, I am not above begging. I cannot lose my son. Please help me.

Yours

Severus

With the letter written Severus rolled the parchment and sealed it with wax before moving over to the perch that housed his familiar Mercury, a pure black raven. 

“Merc, I need you to take this to Octavian Salieri. It needs to be done as soon as possible.”

As soon as the letter was firmly attached to the birds talons he gave a soft caw of understanding before setting off. That done Severus made his way into his son’s bedroom and, pulling a chair next to the bed settled himself in for the night, praying that he would be able to do this for years to come.

By the next morning Severus’ letter had reached the home of the Salieri family in Palmero, Sicily. Upon opening the letter Octavian swore viciously earning him a clip round the head from his passing wife.

“Juliana!” he whined “What was that for?”

“You know what it was for Octavian Salieri. I will not have you swearing in front of the children. Who is it from anyway?”

“It’s from Severus. He’s got a problem and he needs the help of me and the cosa nostra. Alex’s birth parents have discovered the fact that he is no longer staying with the Dursley’s. I need to get in touch with Don Visconti so that we’re as prepared as possible.”

“You don’t mean that Sev could lose Alex do you? I thought that those miserable wretches signed the guardianship papers when Sev collected Alex. You have to help him Octavian. We all adore that child. If it comes to it we’ll keep him in Italy. I’m going to contact the others. You will make sure everything is kept legal won’t you love?”

“Of course mi amato. I’m not the consigliere of Don Visconti for no reason.” He chuckled darkly as his wife hurried off to her study. Oh yes, the Potter’s were going to rue the day that they took on Severus Snape. Especially with the weight of the cosa nostra and seven of the most powerful pureblood families on the European continent at his back. They’d regret it indeed.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you to everyone for the wonderful reviews. The reason that you're getting so many chapters fairly close together is that I've had a backlog of chapters that have been posted at other websites but that I, for some reason, never posted here and I'm just catching up. Hope you're enjoying them! Belle


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1450