Mine by Blood by Belladonna_LaMorte
Summary: What if Lily and James survived the confrontation with Voldemort yet still gave Harry to the Dursleys? What if Harry was adopted after only 9 months on Privet Drive? Alternate Universe and OOC. Severus adopts Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 51612 Read: 74493 Published: 27 Nov 2007 Updated: 01 May 2009
Christmas by Belladonna_LaMorte

Severus smiled as Alex’s mouth dropped lower and lower as he listened to his great-grandparents explain what they were going to be doing that year for Christmas. Alex’s memories of his first Christmas spent with the Potter’s were completely non-existent and his memories of last year were fuzzy but consisted of being locked in his cupboard whilst the Dursley’s celebrated the holiday noisily outside. This year, Severus was determined that things would be different. As such, Antonio and Lucrezia had rented a chalet high up in the Italian Alps for fourteen days over the Christmas period, returning to the villa in time for New Years. The air whooshed out of Severus’ lungs as Alex threw himself at him.

“And what was that for my raven?”

“We’re going Daddy? Will it snow?”

Severus just chuckled “I think it’s safe to say it will snow. It’s already been snowing there for a month already.”

By this point Alex’s face was almost incandescent with delight. Then again, having lived in England, especially in Surrey, snow would be a fairly alien concept to the toddler. Severus looked down as he felt a tug on his hand, having drifted away in his thoughts

“Sorry little one, I was just thinking. What were you trying to tell me?”

“Can we p’ay in the snow?”

“I think we can manage it. We’ll need to take you shopping though. It will be a lot colder further north and we don’t want you to freeze while you’re making your snowmen and snow angels.”

Alex looked highly puzzled for a moment then tilted his head enquiringly at his father in a manner that was endearingly like a little bird “What’s snowman daddy?”

A slight tinge of sadness entered Severus’ black eyes as he looked at Alex “You don’t know what a snowman is little one? Well, in that case we’ll just have to teach you how to make them won’t we? But, for now I think we should go to Via Luna and see about getting you some proper winter clothes. Come to think of it, I probably need some new clothing – I haven’t been that far north for a long time. Come one raven, let us go and find your cloak and then we can go shopping.”

Severus smiled as Alex ran out of the room as quickly as he could to find his cloak, rushing back minutes later. Severus wrapped it around the toddlers shoulders, adjusting the clasp around his neck. He hoisted Alex up into his arms before reaching out for the floo powder in its container on the mantelpiece. One pinch of floo powder and a shouted command and the two were stepping out of the public floo in Via Luna

“Come on little one, let’s go and get your clothes first and then we can get some fun things. I think you’re going to need a sledge at the very least. It’s a good job we’re wizards and we can use shrinking spells.”

For the next few hours Alex grimaced, pulled faces, generally fidgeted and tried not to whine as he was poked and prodded by the tailor measuring him and holding up bolts of material for Severus to affirm or veto the choice. By the end of the torture an order had been placed for several warm cloaks, robes, underclothes, hats and mittens as well as a pair of sturdy snow boots with a warm fleecy lining. All of the measurements taken and materials decided, Severus and Alex made their way to the Elios, the restaurant/pizzeria at the head of the street for an early lunch. Severus ordered a seafood ravioli and a simple tagliatelle with tomato sauce for Alex, tagliatelle that ended up smeared across Alex’s face, hands and almost down his clothes had it not been for the bib Severus had tied around his neck. Once they had eaten and Severus had paid the bill, they made their way back to the tailors to pick up the completed clothing before making their way to the toyshop to find a sledge for Alex. A short time later they were headed back to the public floo, a brightly painted emerald green wooden sledge shrunk and placed in Severus’ pocket along with a bright red, fur trimmed stocking magickally embroidered with Alex’s full name on it.

Later that evening, once they had eaten dinner Severus took Alex upstairs to have a bath and get ready for bed once he had said his goodnights to his grand-parents. The toddler was still incredibly excited and verging on the hyper, even after Severus had given him a bath and dressed him in his favourite red dragon pyjamas that Severus despaired at the thought of getting him to sleep. Alex, it seemed, was bubbling full of questions to do with Christmas, something that was practically an alien concept to him.

“Daddy, when going?”

“When are we going? Not for another three weeks yet little one”

“Oh.” Alex looked momentarily crestfallen before he perked up again “But, can I p’ay in snow?” he questioned, black eyes shining with hope

Severus chuckled, “Yes baby, you can play in the snow when we get there but there isn’t any snow here yet so we’ll have to wait a while.”

Alex seemed to accept this answer and obediently sat still so that Severus could dry his hair. However, the reprieve from questioning appeared to be only temporary as Severus discovered when Alex turned round as soon as his hair was dried.

“Daddy, what’s Chris’mas?”

Severus looked momentarily panic-stricken – how do you explain the concept of Christmas to a two and a half year old? He was then struck by a brain-wave; the ultimate get-out clause “I tell you what my raven, we’re going to see Grandpa Albus and Grandma Minnie this weekend. I’m sure Grandpa Albus would love to explain what Christmas is, why don’t you ask him?”

“M’kay” came the sleepy response

He looked down with a grin. It would appear that the warmth of Severus’ body heat, his footed pyjamas and the large hand carding through his hair had tamed Alex’s excitement.

“Do you want a story before you go to bed raven?”

Alex nodded sleepily “Yes, stowy p’ease”

“How about ‘How the Hippogriff found his wings’?” As Alex nodded his agreement Severus raised his wand and called “Accio ‘How the Hippogriff found his wings’” causing the book to come flying towards him off the small bookcase in the corner.

Just over fifteen minutes later Severus eased a sleeping Alex into his arms and carried him from the rocking chair they had been sitting in to the crib on the opposite side of the room.

Three days later, the first Saturday in December, saw Severus and Alex walking down the path to Hogwarts from Hogsmeade. Alex practically skipped along as they made the way through the school towards the Headmaster’s office. As it was a weekend none of the students had lessons and those that were brave enough or foolish enough to venture outside in the Scottish air stared in amazement at the pair as they passed. The students from second year and above were all familiar with the persona of Professor Severus Snape, potions master and head of Slytherin House who scowled and snarked not the smiling relaxed visage of Severus Aurelius Alexander Snape, potions master and devoted father to his two year old son. As they walked through the entrance of the Great Hall Severus picked Alex up and balanced him on his hip, not wanting to lose him if one of the staircases decided to move. They made it to the gargoyle in front of the office without mishap and Severus uttered the password “Chocolate frogs” causing the gargoyle to move aside. As they reached the top of the stairs the office door swung open to reveal Albus and Minerva at the formers desk discussing some parchments. Both of them looked up as they heard the door open and smiles spread across their faces as they saw the two males they regarded as their son and grandson.

Whilst Albus started to pack away the parchments Minerva swept across the room and kissed Severus on the cheek in greeting before taking Alex into her own arms

“Hello child. Are you going to give Grandma a kiss?”

Alex obliged willingly “Hi Gran’ma Minnie” giving her a sloppy baby kiss as well

“Why don’t you come and sit with me for a while and tell me what you’ve been doing with your daddy whilst Grandpa Albus finishes his work?”

Severus watched Minerva and Alex go and sit by the fire whilst Alex chattered away happily, telling her about his sledge, all the new clothes his daddy had bought him and how they were going to where it was snowy for Christmas. Whilst they did so, Severus walked over to where Albus was frowning over several parchments

“Problems Albus?”

Albus smiled and looked up briefly “You could say that dear boy. Professor Blackthorne has just informed me that he will be leaving us at the end of the school year. It means that once again I will have to start the search for a new Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. For the time being I have much pleasanter things to do, such as spend time with my son and grandson. Shall we go and join them?”

“Erm, before we do, I need to warn you about something. We’ve decided to take Alex up to the Italian Alps for Christmas so that he can experience snow and everything. However, he didn’t understand the concept and I….well, Imight’vetoldhimyou’dexplainit” his last words were said so quickly that it seemed to be one word

Albus laughed in delight both at what Severus was asking him to do and the sheepish look on the younger mans face. “It would be a pleasure my dear boy. An absolute pleasure. Now, how are you enjoying life away from Hogwarts? I must say, life in Italy certainly seems to suit you and it suits Alex as well. It’s almost as if he’s a completely different child.”

“In essence, he is a completely different child. For once he’s actually allowed to be a child and he has a family to fall back on. He’s not as shy as he was, definitely not with me, my grandparents or you and Minerva and he’s getting more comfortable all the time with other children. You should have seen him the other day when we told him we were going north for Christmas – it was like someone had turned a light on in his head. Then he asked what Christmas was.” Severus’ face fell slightly as he relayed this piece of information

Albus patted him on the shoulder “Not to worry my dear boy. We’ll sort everything. Now, I want to see my grandson.” With that statement Albus swept across the room, his speed and grace belying his age and scooped Alex into his arms, eliciting fits of giggles from the child. For the next hour and a half Severus watched in awe as his mentor and the man he loved like a father explained the concert of Christmas to his young son.

“How’s that my boy? Do you understand now?”

Alex nodded and then spoke “Santa don’ give pwesents to me. Not good nuff’.”

Alex looked at Severus, feeling that this was something that the young father had to deal with.

Severus transferred Alex from his perch next to Albus and placed him instead in his lap. “Alex, look at me baby. Now, what’s this about you not being good enough? You’re the best little boy in the world. The only reason you haven’t had presents from Santa before is because he didn’t know where you lived. But, I’ve spoken to Santa my raven, and he knows where you live now and you are going to be getting your presents this year. So, why don’t we have some lunch and after you’ve had a nap then we can write a letter to Santa to ask for some presents. How does that sound little one?”

In response Alex stood up in Severus’ lap, flung his arms around his neck and kissed his cheek “Thank you. Love you daddy.”

Severus swallowed thickly and pressed a kiss to the child’s forehead “I love you too my raven.”

Surreptitiously, so as not to disturb the pair Albus called for a house-elf and seconds later one had appeared, without the crack that normally heralded their appearance, as if understanding the request for silence. Albus smiled, “Tibby, would you mind bringing us some lunch please. It’s just the four of us so nothing too extravagant if you will. Thank you.”

“Yes Headmaster Dumbledore. Tibby will be right back.”

The little elf was true to his word and less than two minutes later the table was groaning under the weight of food that had been brought, the house-elves, as always, failing to understand the request “not too much”.

Alex turned around to watch the little elf, still fascinated by the creatures, as he always was when they visited Hogwarts. There were no house-elves on the Principessa estates, with Antonio and Lucrezia more comfortable doing things themselves. Severus remembered that he had been equally as fascinated with the creatures as his son when he had arrived at Hogwarts and discovered them at work.

Once they had finished their lunch Severus carried Alex to the bedroom that he and Alex shared when they stayed at Hogwarts so the child could have a nap. For all of Alex’s insistence that he didn’t need a nap he was out like a light as soon as he was laid in his crib. Satisfied that he would sleep for a while and having recast the monitoring charms that would alert him if there was a problem Severus made his way back to Albus’ office

“Is he asleep?” Minerva queried

“Out like a light. He’s started to complain a bit but he always goes straight to sleep so I’m not too worried.” He looked warily at the twosome as they looked at him with grins on their faces “Why are you two smiling? And why do I get the feeling that its bad news for me?”

“It’s not bad news for you Severus” Minerva scolded lightly “It just requires you to think”

“I have a two and a half year old son, Minerva, my thought processes no longer work or if they do then they’re a damn sight slower than they used to be.”

“Are you not brewing any more? I wouldn’t have thought you’d be able to give that up.”

“I haven’t given it up completely but my time is severely lacking. I tend to brew when I’ve put Alex to bed as he normally goes to bed quite early. When I’m asked to make more complex potions that require long hours of brewing grandma looks after Alex. Now, what did you want me to think about?”

“Christmas presents for Alex and yourself” came the prompt answer from Minerva making Severus groan

“Minerva, you know I hate answering that question about myself so I don’t know….surprise me. As for Alex, whatever you want. We have bought him lots of new clothes but he doesn’t appear to be growing much. Then again, I was always very small then I grew like a weed when I got to Hogwarts. Since Alex took after me so much when we administered the Paternitas potion I think its fairly safe to say that he will take after me in that in all likelihood. Erm, he loves his footed pyjamas – he loses his slippers so there’s no point buying him those and he loves the t-shirt you bought him with the Hungarian Horntail on it. He adores stories so books would probably be a good idea. I haven’t introduced him to any of the Muggle fairy-tales yet but I was intending to at some point. Beyond that I really don’t know – he likes drawing and he loves looking at the stars. That’s all I can really tell you.”

“Well, I’m sure we’ll find something. If you’re struggling so much to give us ideas have you got any ideas as to what you’re going to give him?”

Severus smiled smugly “It’s all organised. I just need to pick it up the day before we leave the villa.” Upon seeing Minerva’s look that pointedly told him to continue he carried on talking or rather elaborated on what he’d already been saying “I’ve got him a cat. Well, a kitten. By the time I pick it up it will be 12 weeks old and able to leave his mother. We went into the town just over a month ago and one of the shop cats had just had kittens. The mother was quite happy to let Alex play with them and I think he would have stayed there all day if I had let them. As it was, he fell in love with one kitten in particular, the runt of the litter, a pure black male. When I spoke to the owner she said that they were going to be selling them as soon as they were weaned so I put down the deposit there and then. The little black male is going to be Alex’s in three weeks. I just hope he likes it, I know it’ll be a surprise.”

“I’m sure he’ll love it, it’s a wonderful idea.”

Three weeks later……Christmas Eve

Severus breathed a sigh of relief as he finally put Alex to bed. The child had been incredibly hyper, something that had only been exacerbated by the huge quantities of sugar the child had consumed during the day. They had been in the alps for nine days and Severus had to admit that it had been a brilliant idea. A permanent smile had taken up residence on Alex’s face and his eyes seemed to glow with happiness. Even Severus had to admit that this was probably his favourite Christmas as well, even including those that he spent at Hogwarts as a student. He and Alex had spent the day playing in the snow with Antonio sledging and building snowmen before they trouped inside to help Lucrezia bake yet another batch of mince pies. The baking session had ended with Severus and Alex wearing almost as much flour as had been used in the pies themselves.

Once they had eaten dinner they had followed a tradition from Severus’ childhood and Alex was allowed to open one present of Severus’ choosing. Again, according to tradition, this present consisted of nightclothes so when Alex had hesitantly ripped open the parcel he revealed a set of white footed pyjamas that were decorated with reindeers, crackers, presents and sprigs of holly and mistletoe. With his present opened Severus took Alex off for his bath and, having dressed him in his new pyjamas took him back downstairs to sit in front of the fire and start a tradition of their own. Severus had been in London one day before they left for the Alps, having had to collect some ingredients from a contact in Knockturn Alley and had decided to venture into Muggle London in search of extra presents for Alex. Walking into a branch of the booksellers Waterstones he had spotted a book that immediately caught his attention; ‘The Night Before Christmas’. The book was just the kind of thing that he knew Alex would absolutely love and he had a feeling that reading the book together on Christmas Eve would become their tradition. Looking back, he saw that he had been right and Alex had loved it; the toddler had valiantly stayed awake until the end of the story and then he’d been asleep within five minutes, not even stirring as Severus carried him upstairs, tucked him in and kissed him goodnight.

“Now, I think it’s time for Santa to finally visit Alex Snape” he muttered and with that comment he made his way downstairs

The four of them had decorated the huge fir tree several days earlier but Severus and his grandparents were intent on making this Christmas a winter wonderland for Alex. As such, greenery intertwined with holly and mistletoe festooned the staircase and the mantelpieces as well as the picture frames whilst a holly wreath hung from the front door. He smiled and hummed various carols to himself as he began the enormous task of unshrinking the presents that they had brought with them. Albus and Minerva had sent over their presents before they had left Tuscany as had the Malfoy’s and the rest of the family. The resulting pile of presents was impressive to say the least and it was probably safe to say that Alex was going to be one very lucky boy come the morning. Reminding himself to bring the kitten down in the morning he bid goodnight to his grandparents and went to bed with the gut instinct that he would be woken early in the morning.

Severus woke at three am to someone tugging his blankets both insistently and nervously. Sleepily opening his eyes he saw Alex standing sleepily by the side of the bed, looking adorable in his soft Christmas footie pyjamas as he hated his slippers as he cuddled his toy panther, a hint of excitement in his coal black eyes

“Alex? Is something the matter baby? It’s still very early for little boys to be up”

“Heard noise n’ it’s snowing daddy”

Severus pulled back the curtain hangings and looked out of the floor length windows to confirm that it was indeed snowing “I think you’re right – it is snowing. Do you want to come in Daddy’s bed and we can both watch the snow where it’s warm?” At Alex’s shy nod he pushed the blankets back and, leaning over, picked up the toddler and placed him in front of him in the bed, tucking the blankets back around him “Besides, Santa will only come when you’re asleep so you need to go to sleep baby”

Alex nodded and snuggled further into the warmth of his father, sighing happily as he felt his fathers strong arms wrap around him and a kiss pressed into his hair. The steadily falling snow proved soothing and he was asleep within moments.

Severus smiled as he heard Harry’s breathing even out as he drifted back off to sleep. He pressed another kiss into the silky black hair and shut his eyes allowing himself to slip back into sleep.

He woke several hours later with the distinct feeling that someone was watching him. He opened his eyes and saw that Alex still lay cuddled up to him but that the child was now wide awake and watching Severus with unblinking eyes. He murmured a spell and the time flashed up in front of him, showing the time of eight-thirty. Just as he was about to get out of bed he heard the door open before the curtain hangings were pulled back to reveal his grandfather bearing a steaming cup of black coffee.

“It’s time to get up Severus. It’s eight thirty and I’m sure Alex wants to see what Father Christmas has brought.” With that comment Antonio wandered back out of the room and downstairs.

That statement made Severus wake up a bit more; although Alex had experienced his first Christmas with James and Lily Potter he would not remember it. His second had been whilst at the Dursley’s and thus been spent in a cupboard so this was his first real Christmas. He threw the blankets back before he reached for the warm robes that had been laid out at the foot of the bed in readiness for him and Alex waking up. Throwing the robe around his shoulders he knocked back the mug of coffee and closed his eyes in bliss as the caffeine hit him. He then leaned across and wrapped the smaller robe around Alex as he took him into his arms.

“Come on then my little raven, shall we go and see what Santa has brought you?”

“Just me? What ‘bout Daddy?”

“I’m too old to get presents from Santa but I get presents from grandma, grandpa, grandpa Albus and grandma Minerva as well as from your aunts and uncles.”

“Gran’pa Alby and Gran’ma Minnie here?” Alex perked up slightly

“No little one, they’re not. Do you remember they had to stay at Hogwarts to look after the students?”

“Yes Daddy, I ‘member”

“Good boy”

As he descended the stairs he smiled at the look of wonderment on Alex’s face as he took in the decorations. Looking around himself he had to admit that they had done a fantastic job with them. In addition to the greenery that was draped from the banisters and mantelpieces, there were icicles hanging from the doorframes and lighting fixtures. As they walked into the living room, the room was dominated by a huge six foot tall pine tree decorated with red, green, silver and gold baubles and miniature snowflakes. Even more impressive was the huge stack of presents under the tree, many of them, Severus knew, bearing Alex’s name.

He moved the two of them over to the open fire and sat the two of them down on the floor in front of the fire. Lucrezia and Antonio were already sat on the loveseat in front of the fire facing the tree, both of them with large, steaming cups of coffee in their hands. Eyeing the coffee wistfully he gratefully thanked his grandparents when they gestured to yet another huge cup of strong black coffee sat waiting for him alongside some warm milk for Alex before he summoned several presents.

“Now, why don’t we start opening some of these presents? Shall we start with the ones from Father Christmas?”

Alex stared wide-eyed and mouth open at the pile of presents before he looked back at Severus “Pwesents for me?”

“Presents for you my raven. In fact, I have it on very good authority that the majority of those presents are yours. Now, why don’t you start by opening this one?”

As he spoke he handed Alex a blue wrapped package decorated with white and silver snowflakes. The child took it tentatively, looking backwards and forwards between the present and his father who was smiling encouragingly at him. Hesitantly, he started to peel back the paper and, when he realised he wasn’t going to be hit or yelled at, he tore into unwrapping his present squealing happily as he uncovered a new book. Smiling happily, he proudly showed the new book to Severus. Severus smiled as, over the next hour, Alex was equally as delighted with every single present no matter the size or the expense. Watching, Severus was gratified to see that even after such a contrasting change in his home-life Alex was not becoming a spoilt brat. Yes, he was going to be indulged. After all, he was now a pureblood and the sole heir to three prominent pureblood families – Snape, Principessa and Cavallo.

It was the better part of two hours later before all of the presents had been opened. Alex and Severus were surrounded by piles of clothing both Muggle and magickal, books, art supplies of all kinds, more books and several stuffed toys.

Both Severus and Alex were entranced with their presents from Albus and Minerva. They had given Alex two pieces of furniture for his room at the Villa; one was a small trunk that could be used for storing his toys and art supplies whilst the second was a low sitting two-shelf bookcase that was the perfect size for a child. Both pieces of furniture were made from a very dark wood, what looked to be a dark cherry wood, ornately carved with snakes and ravens entwined with leaves and vines. Severus’ present was rather similar and contrasted of two parts. The first was a black silk photo album embroidered with silver snakes and when Severus opened it he was delighted to find pictures of him and Alex together from their very first meeting at Arabella Figg’s to their most recent visit to Hogwarts. The second was a double photo frame made of the same dark cherry wood and again carved with snakes, ravens, leaves and vines. Inside the photo frames were two pictures both of which made Severus smile; one showed Severus and Alex on the back of Thor, Severus’ black stallion, with Severus pointing out something in the distance, both of them smiling widely. The second photo showed the two of them sleeping, Alex curled up on Severus’ chest with his thumb in his mouth and the other hand fisted around a lock of Severus’ hair.

Just as Alex asked to read one of his new books Severus stopped him and took a large box filled with air holes from Lucrezia and handed it to Alex.

“This is your last present little one and it’s another one from me.”

Alex just stared as the box in his hands moved slightly of its own volition. Hesitantly, he reached out a hand and unlaced the ribbon holding the box lid on. His face lit up as the lid lifted and a tiny black face appeared. Reaching into the box he lifted out the 3month old black kitten, now proudly wearing a collar bearing a tag that read “My name is Jupiter”

Alex threw himself at Severus with a wordless cry of delight “Thank you Daddy!”

Severus smiled as both Alex and Jupiter settled in his lap, Jupiter purring madly, and summoned the book Alex had wanted to read.

For the next half an hour Alex lay in his lap clutching his toy panther and petting Jupiter as Severus read aloud to him from his new book. Upon finishing the book Severus looked down to see that Alex was fast asleep, exhausted by the excitement of the day. He couldn’t believe that Alex had been his son for nearly six months and he was loving every minute. He never thought he would enjoy being a father so much and whilst there had been several trying times it was still highly rewarding. It still gave him a thrill every time he heard Alex call him daddy and he wasn’t sure he’d ever stop getting that thrill. He was brought out of his thoughts by a gentle tug on a lock of his hair and looked down to see Alex staring at him, an innocent look on his face.

“And what was that for baby?”

“I’m hungry daddy”

“Time for breakfast I think. Shall we go and see what grandma’s made us?”

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1450