Mine by Blood by Belladonna_LaMorte
Summary: What if Lily and James survived the confrontation with Voldemort yet still gave Harry to the Dursleys? What if Harry was adopted after only 9 months on Privet Drive? Alternate Universe and OOC. Severus adopts Harry.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 51612 Read: 74508 Published: 27 Nov 2007 Updated: 01 May 2009
Accidental Magick by Belladonna_LaMorte

By the time that Christmas came round again the now three and a half year old Alex was looking forward to it more than ever. Unlike the previous year Severus and Alex weren’t spending Christmas in Northern Italy with Antonio and Lucrezia. Instead, whilst Antonio and Lucrezia spent Christmas with the Salieri’s and other members of the Principessa family, Severus and Alex were to journey to Scotland for Christmas with Albus and Minerva before journeying to Wiltshire to spent Twelfth Night with the Malfoy family.

Scotland had received weather reports of expected heavy snows and freezing temperatures, which had Alex highly delighted, he couldn’t wait to see the castle surrounded by and covered in snow. Severus, for his part, was relieved when he realised that Alex had barely grown that year and therefore he didn’t need to go shopping for any new winter robes. Albus had also reassured Severus that there were only a few students remaining at the school over the holidays, primarily seventh years who were more concerned with revising for their NEWT examinations. The few that were staying were going to be predominantly Ravenclaws and would therefore struggle to withdraw their heads from their books for meals let alone realise who was there.

Severus decided to put off the Christmas shopping for presents and such for as long as possible. He detested shopping all the time whether it was at Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade or Via Luna. All of the necessary shopping, with the exception of books and potions ingredients, was left to Minerva, Lucrezia and Narcissa in their roles of grandmothers and godmother.

He was also growing more and more conscious of the fact that their time of seclusion in Italy was coming to an end. Alex’s fourth birthday was only six months away and with it came the end of the two year sabbatical Severus had been granted. Come the next September he would be returning to his post of Potions Master at Hogwarts. He was also slightly worried about the question of Alex’s magick. 

Whilst there was no doubt that Alex had magick, there was plenty of evidence of that; it was only at the age of four that parents could have their child’s magick measured. By this point it had been proven that most children were showing signs of and had performed accidental magick. Therefore, registered healers could perform a complex charm that would record the child’s current magickal levels, as well as predictions for the levels when they started Hogwarts and again when they reached the age of majority and magickal maturity, which was seventeen in the Wizarding world. When Severus had been tested, his magickal levels had been incredibly high and had only increased as he grew older. As things currently stood he was one of the most powerful professors at Hogwarts; behind Albus Dumbledore but on an even standing if not more powerful than Minerva McGonagall and Filius Flitwick. He was even marginally more powerful than Lucius Malfoy, something that grated with the blonde British aristocrat.

As he thought about the magick testing process he smirked maliciously as his thoughts turned to the Potters. Despite everything that Albus and others had said they still insisted that Marcus was the Boy-Who-Lived and that he would have huge magickal reserves. He would pay good money to see the looks on their faces when they discovered the truth. Unfortunately, it was the knowledge that caused him both great delight and great anguish. As soon as the Potter’s discovered that it wasn’t Marcus who had vanquished Voldemort they would turn their attention to Alex and Severus could only hope he had taken enough precautions. 

Shaking his head to rid himself of his disturbing thoughts he turned his attention back to the parchments that littered his desk. Alex was spending some quality time with his grandmother and so Severus had holed himself up in his study to work on the theoretical basis of two experimental potions. He had been commissioned by the Italian Ministry to create a more effective form of Veritaserum as well as a potion to be administered to prisoners/suspects as soon as they were captured to show if they were an animagus so that the necessary spells could be cast. Although he didn’t need the money, if he was successful, the potions would prove to be highly lucrative business – every Ministry of Magick in the world would want to buy them. With that he turned his attention back to his work, knowing that in a few hours his peace would be shattered.

As he had thought, his peace was ruined just over two hours later when the door to his study slammed open to reveal a black blur that shot to Severus’ side and bounced up and down excitedly.

“Daddy, daddy, daddy!”

Severus wrote two more words before he lay down his quill and shut his journal “And what’s got you so excited raven?”

“I did magick Daddy.”

Alex’s proud statement was accompanied by Lucrezia’s entrance into the study. Severus looked over at his grandmother for acknowledgement and almost choked on his laughter. His grandmother’s normally white hair was a stunning bright green. She smiled ruefully at her grandson.

“Your son takes after you more and more everyday Severus.”

Severus just smirked, remembering when he had done exactly the same thing.

“I can see that you did magick little one. What made you turn grandma’s hair green?”

“Yucky beans!” Alex pulled a disgusted face. “Taste nasty!”

Severus raised an eyebrow at the child’s words and looked to Lucrezia for a full explanation.

She sat down in the spare chair after removing a stack of books from it as Severus scooped Alex onto his lap.

“We’ve had a fun day baking this morning – we made you your favourite pannettone actually. However, I made an addition to the pesto pasta at lunch and apparently Alex doesn’t like flageolet beans. My hair was the result of trying to get Alex to eat three spoonfuls. Apparently he didn’t appreciate my attempts.”

Regardless of her words Severus could tell by the tone of her voice and the smile she was trying to restrain that she wasn’t too annoyed about it. Severus himself couldn’t be too annoyed at his son when he was amused by the whole thing and he knew that it happened all the time with magickal children. 

“Now, you know that it doesn’t bother me – you did enough accidental magick as a child. The only thing that concerns me is that I can’t undo it and I have to go into the village this afternoon to do the shopping.”

Severus smiled and turned his attention to the child sat in his lap. “Alex, I know you didn’t mean to change grandma’s hair green but she needs to go shopping and she can’t go with her hair that colour. Now, do you think if you concentrate enough you can change grandma’s hair back to its normal colour?”

Alex scrunched his face up and concentrated hard for several minutes, “Can’t? How’d I do it daddy?”

“Ok, close your eyes and picture grandma’s hair green, like it is now and then imagine it turning back to its normal colour.” 

Severus was amazed as his explanation worked and Lucrezia’s hair turned back to normal. He was amazed by the phenomenal control that Alex had on his magick at such a young age. By the time he started at Hogwarts he would have even more ability and by the time he graduated he would be truly impressive.

****

Four weeks later……

Severus had capitulated to Alex’s request and they had portkeyed to King’s Cross Station in London and made their way to Platform 9¾. The students had arrived back at the station an hour earlier and the train was still there awaiting its return to Hogsmeade. Thankfully, the majority of the students had been picked up or generally dispersed so Severus was able to cross the platform with relative ease, Alex holding onto his hand with Jupiter on his shoulder and their small trunk floating behind them. Severus directed his son into the teachers compartment, stored the trunk in the luggage rack and hoisted Alex onto the seat so that he could watch as the train pulled out of the station.

Nearly five hours later the Express pulled into Hogsmeade station, Severus roused himself from his perusal of a potions text and smiled at the mop of black hair leaning against his chest. Alex had fallen asleep two hours into the journey, lulled by the feel of the engine and the rolling countryside. Severus pulled the trunk from the luggage rack and flicked his wand murmuring a levitation spell. With that done, Jupiter leapt up to his shoulder and he scooped Alex up so that he was balanced on one hip, his head resting in the crook of Severus’ neck. Exiting the station he climbed into one of the thestral drawn carriages which started moving down the path for the school. As they came up to a particular spot he started to wake Alex up knowing that the view was particularly spectacular.

“Come on Alex, wake up little one, it’s time to wake up.”

“’m sleepy Daddy. Why?”

“We’re getting close to the castle now and I thought you’d like to see Hogwarts and the grounds covered in snow. Don’t you want to see it?”

He was rewarded by the sight of sleepy black eyes that stared up at him and then looked forward.

“Snow! Looks pretty.”

“You’re right, it does look pretty.” Severus knew that he was being sincere. He’d always thought that the sight of Hogwarts was on of his favourites along with the views from the Tuscan villa but the sight of Hogwarts covered in snow was one of almost unsurpassable beauty. As they passed over the rise and the carriage passed across the grounds to the front doors they were joined by Hagrid, who shook the snow off his moleskin coat before entering the building.

“’ello Sev’rus, Alex. How’re ye? Give me yer trunk ‘n you can take Alex ‘fessor.”

Severus smiled gratefully at the half-giant “Thanks Hagrid, I appreciate it.”

Unlike many Slytherins, Severus had never had a problem with the groundskeeper. The older man had always been nothing but nice to the Slytherin. When Severus had become Hogwarts youngest professor Hagrid had been one of the first to accept him and welcome him wholeheartedly.

“You know you don’t have to call me professor Hagrid. I’m not one at the moment. You can just call me Severus,” he gently reminded the man.

“Yeh well. ‘s only temp’ry. You’ll be a prof’ssor ‘gain in no time. Blimey, is that Jupe Alex? He hasn’t grown too much.”

“Nope. Daddy said he’s a creeter.” Alex mangled the last word so much that Hagrid looked to Severus in confusion.

Severus laughed lightly. “That’s not quite what I said now, is it raven?” He directed his attention to Hagrid. “I’m starting to think that he has some creature blood in him. He hasn’t really grown and he’s immensely protective of Alex. Have you any ideas?”

Hagrid scratched his beard thoughtfully. “Well, he don’t look like anythin’ unusual. He’s prob’ly got some kneazle in him. They’re related to cats and can breed with ‘em as well. They’re protective as well.”

***

Four days later it was Christmas Eve and Severus and Alex were getting ready to go to Hogsmeade along with Albus, Minerva and Poppy. Severus had managed to get most of Alex’s presents by owl order but there were still a few that he needed to purchase in Hogsmeade. He wanted to get Alex the potions book that was the follow-up to the first one that Alex had received for his birthday. If he knew his son then he also knew that he would have to get all of the ingredients for at least the first three potions in the second book. 

All of them were well wrapped up against the cold and waited patiently at the entrance for Hagrid to arrive with the sleigh. As always, Jupiter accompanied Alex who clung tightly to Severus’ hand. Once Hagrid arrived, the group made its way swiftly across the snow in the sleigh, with Alex excitedly pointing things out. 

By the time that they made it to Hogsmeade it was mid-morning and the wizarding village was completely packed with shoppers. The group split up immediately with Albus and Severus moving off in one direction whilst Alex went off with Minerva and Poppy to buy presents for his daddy and grandpa Alby. They met up an hour later at the Hogsmeade branch of Honeyduke’s so that they could swap the groups around. In the time that had elapsed the village had become even busier and it was necessary for them to shove their way through the crowds. They were just passing the small branch of Dervish and Banges when there was a loud crack as a series of Filibuster fireworks were set off. One minute Alex was holding onto Severus’ hand and the next he had simply disappeared. Severus noticed his disappearance immediately couldn’t see his tiny raven-haired son anywhere. He panicked completely and utterly. Drawing his wand he uttered the charm that sent his panther patronus straight for Albus. Within minutes Albus, Minerva and Poppy were at his side wanting to know what the matter was.

“Severus? What’s happened?”

“Alex has disappeared. He was here one minute and then the next he was gone. Someone set off a load of Filibuster fireworks and I think he panicked. I noticed he was gone immediately but I can’t see him in the crowd anywhere.”

“He didn’t have a portkey on him did he? You hadn’t given him one as a safety precaution?”

Severus shook his head. “No, I considered it but he’s so obedient and he promised to stay close to me or if I wasn’t around then one of you three. The only thing I can think of is, well, do you think he could have apparated Albus?”

The older man stroked his beard. “I don’t know. It’s possible but the chances are incredibly small. For a child of Alex’s age to have magickal reserves that large to be able to apparate is incredibly rare. He’s done a lot of magick before hasn’t he?”

“Yes, but it’s only been small things. He’s changed my grandmother’s hair green, summoned toys and cookies and other food things but nothing major. Nothing like this. It is possible that he could have done it though; if he was scared enough?”

“Anything is possible Severus. If he was able to apparate, where would he have gone?” 

It was at this point that Minerva and Poppy reappeared, having disappeared to check around the village and ask people if they had seen Alex. “Have we got any more ideas?”

Albus turned to look at his wife. “We think that Alex may have apparated. We’re just trying to work out where he could have gone if he has apparated.”

Severus raked a hand through his hair, as he thought of places that his son could have gone to. “Well, all of my family live abroad and he wouldn’t have been able to apparate that far and everyone else that we know in the United Kingdom lives at Hogwarts. Except for Luc. He’s in Wiltshire. He’ll have gone to Malfoy Manor. Lucius and Narcissa are his godparents and Draco’s his closest friend other than Blaise. There’s also an apparition room that you can access if you’re keyed into the wards. Alex is. I’ve apparated there with him enough times that he would be able to picture it. Albus, I’ll see you later, I’m going to Wiltshire.”

Within seconds Severus had disappeared with a barely audible crack, the others presumed to the Malfoy Manor where they hoped that he would find his son.

***

Severus reappeared in the apparition room of Malfoy Manor and to his disappointment saw that the room was empty. He spun around as he heard the voice of Dorjan Malfoy, Lucius’ great-great grandfather.

“Your son is with his godmother Lord Snape. He arrived here not fifteen minutes ago. They are in the library.”

Severus bowed slightly. “My thanks Lord Dorjan.”

Severus then wasted no time and hurried through the door towards the library. He had barely entered the doors when something or rather someone slammed into his legs. He looked down to see Alex and quickly hoisted him up into his arms.

“Alex? Are you okay my raven?”

“Sorry daddy.” Came the muffled apology from Severus’ shoulder.

Severus walked over to and sat in one of the chairs, setting Alex onto his lap, having pried him away from his shoulder. 

“You don’t need to apologise for anything baby. It’s fine. You managed to get yourself to somewhere that was safe and I’ve managed to find you. Did you get scared by the fireworks?”

Alex nodded. “They were really loud and lots of people and I got scared. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it. We just need to get you back to Hogwarts so that we can reassure your grandparents and Aunty Poppy that you’re ok. Say goodbye to Draco now.”

As Alex went and chatted to the tiny blonde Malfoy heir Severus stood to speak with Narcissa.

“Severus, Alex apparated. He’s not even four yet and he apparated to here, from Hogsmeade I presume?”

Severus nodded. “I know, he got scared whilst we were shopping in Hogsmeade – someone set off some fireworks and that combined with the number of people scared him. He just panicked I think and this was the only place that he could get to or rather, the only place where he could get past the wards.”

Narcissa nodded but still looked concerned. “It still raises problems Sev. You’re not going to be able to keep his levels of power hidden for long. Especially when he’s tested.”

Severus smiled ruefully. “I know, but for the moment I’m just going to concentrate on the present.” He looked down as Alex leant against his legs. “We’ll see you on Twelfth Night Cissa. Give my regards to Lucius. Happy Christmas Draco,” he called to his godson and then made his way back to the apparition room holding tightly to Alex’s hand.

***

When they had returned to Hogwarts from the Malfoy’s, everyone they had been delighted to see Alex safe and well although they knew that they were going to have to address the issue that Alex, at the age of three and a half, had been able to apparate. Rather than have it spoil their Christmas, they decided that they would discuss it after the festive period.

The previous night, on Christmas Eve, they had spent the evening in a very similar manner to the previous year. Once again, Alex was allowed to open one present which consisted of yet another pair of footed pyjamas. He had outgrown the fashion slightly and whilst in Italy during the summer years he wore normal un-footed pyjamas but when he was at Hogwarts and even at the villa during the winter season he wore the footed pyjamas that he loved so much. This year’s pyjamas were red and green and covered in stars. When Alex started yawning Severus carried him upstairs to the Headmaster’s tower and put him to bed before reading him ‘The Night Before Christmas’ once more. 

With Alex in bed Severus unearthed the bag of presents from his luggage and restored it to its original size before levitating the stack of presents to their place underneath the fir tree that dominated Albus’ office. The presents that he had placed there were primarily from the Malfoy’s, Severus’ grandparents and Severus himself. They joined the presents already placed there by Albus and Minerva and Poppy.

Satisfied that everything was in place and ready for the following day Severus went to bed, knowing that in all probability that he would be woken up extremely early by an overly excited child.

He wasn’t wrong. He was woken up by something tugging on his blankets at 7am on Christmas morning. He blearily tried to focus his eyes and saw Alex climbing onto the bed using the blankets as a climbing apparatus. 

“Alex? What’s the matter?”

“It’s Christmas daddy! Time for presents!”

“Tempus.” Severus groaned almost silently. “It’s only 7am baby. The presents will still be there a bit later.”

“Daddy! Please! Grandpa’s got coffee…..”

“Imp. Ok, go down to grandpa’s study but be careful. I’ll be there in a moment when I’ve got my robe on.”

Within half an hour Severus was downstairs and taking the coffee that was being held out to him. Like the previous year Alex had a huge amount of presents but to Severus’ gratification Alex was just as grateful for the small relatively inexpensive presents as he was for the large expensive ones. As with his birthday, his favourite presents were the follow-up to ‘My First Potions Book’ and the necessary ingredients to make the first three potions. It was a close-run thing but Severus eventually managed to persuade Alex that the potions labs would still be there the following day to make several of the potions in his new book as well as the ingredients before they went and joined the remaining students in the Great Hall for Christmas dinner.

***

All too soon their time at Hogwarts was coming to an end and, the same day that the students returned to Hogwarts on the Express, Severus and Alex left for Malfoy Manor. The three Malfoy’s had spent the Christmas period alone although Severus knew that they had been to the Ministry ball due to Lucius’ standing within the Ministry. He was just thankful that whilst he himself was a Lord like Lucius but not such as politically minded. He was looking forward to spending several days with Lucius being able to talk politics, potions, dark arts and families. He also knew that Alex was looking forward to spending several days with Draco.

***

Three days after their return to Italy from Wiltshire it was Severus’ twenty-sixth birthday. He had managed to persuade his grandparents that he didn’t want a big fuss made and to his relief his family had agreed to that. Leaving Malfoy Manor, he had had several presents pressed into his hands from Lucius and Narcissa as well as one from Draco. He came downstairs to be greeted by an excited Alex and his grandparents.

As soon as his daddy was sat down with a mug of coffee Alex scrambled up into his lap and hugged his neck. “Happy birthday daddy!”

“Thank you my raven.” Severus mumbled, never fully awake until he’d had at least one mug of coffee.

He opened the presents from his grandparents and from the Malfoy’s to reveal several rare tomes based on the Dark Arts and Potions as well as some potions ingredients. He immediately started looking avidly through the potions book mentally working out which potions he could make that morning. To his annoyance, he realised that the ones he wanted to make required several ingredients that he knew he had run out of before Christmas. He looked up as he heard laughter from the opposite side of the table and then looked down at Alex. The child was holding out another messily wrapped present; one that could only have been wrapped by a child.

“Open mine now daddy.”

Severus thanked his son and started to unwrap the present. He carefully peeled apart the paper and stared in shock at what was revealed. Lying inside the paper were the carefully wrapped ingredients that he needed to make the potions that he wanted to create.

“Alex! Thank you little one. How did you know I needed these ingredients?”

Alex smiled delightedly. “’Cos I’m special.”

Severus couldn’t help but laugh as he pressed a kiss to the delighted boy’s forehead. “Yes you are. You’re very special.”

Alex slid off Severus’ lap and pulled at his hand, trying to get him to stand up and move out of the kitchen. 

“Where are we going Alex? What’s the rush?”

“Gonna make potions.”

“We’re going to make potions? Both of us?”

Alex shook his head, finally managing to get Severus to stand up. “You make potions, I’ll watch and help.”

Severus gave up his arguments at that point and let Alex drag him out of the kitchen and down to his potions lab. As normal, he was going to be spending his birthday brewing potions but he was going to be spending it, for the first time, brewing potions with his son, someone who was just as eager about brewing as he was. He couldn’t help the silly grin that spread across his face at the thought.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1450